shape
carat
color
clarity

What color walls for a small kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m making plans for my new kitchen. It''s small so I don''t want dark colors. The cabinets will be a white washed or white (not sure yet)...so what colors for the walls? Do I stick with white? I''ve always been a color person but don''t want to have the kitchen look smaller than it is. The appliances are stainless steel.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a small apartment kitchen with white cabinets, and kind of a slate/brown colored countertops. We painted it an icy blue color and its SO pretty. Our favorite part of the apartment. It''s open and airy, and looks great.

I should take pictures. We have white appliances, but stainless steal coffee maker, microwave, and toaster. It would look awesome if we had the stainless appliances.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:17:46 PM
Author: elledizzy5
We have a small apartment kitchen with white cabinets, and kind of a slate/brown colored countertops. We painted it an icy blue color and its SO pretty. Our favorite part of the apartment. It''s open and airy, and looks great.

I should take pictures. We have white appliances, but stainless steal coffee maker, microwave, and toaster. It would look awesome if we had the stainless appliances.

oh I would love to see that color..do you remember the name of the paint? that sounds great

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really quickly, since I''m home for lunch.

kitchenpicture10000.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
kitchen picture 2

kitchenpicture20000.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its Valspar "Tinsel Beam"

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
We have white cabinets and our walls are a pale blue-grey with a somewhat darker (but still light) grey tiled backsplash.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:26:23 PM
Author: elledizzy5
Really quickly, since I''m home for lunch.

thanks so much! I''m loving the idea of the blues family!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:29:10 PM
Author: Kismet
We have white cabinets and our walls are a pale blue-grey with a somewhat darker (but still light) grey tiled backsplash.

ohhh this sounds great! My new kitchen is 42 yr old and the old owners never did anything...so I have to update without breaking the bank...so I know paint can do wonders.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my favorite things to do is to drool over beautiful kitchen pictures that come up in a Google image search. I recommend it!

I plan on refacing our kitchen cabinets with white beadboard, and I''m thinking about painting the walls a buttery yellow or a pale, pale green.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 1:37:35 PM
Author: Haven
One of my favorite things to do is to drool over beautiful kitchen pictures that come up in a Google image search. I recommend it!

I plan on refacing our kitchen cabinets with white beadboard, and I''m thinking about painting the walls a buttery yellow or a pale, pale green.

thanks haven...I will use google

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Have you ever seen Ina Garten''s kitchen on her FoodNetwork show, "Barefoot Contessa"? She has white cabinets, black marble countertops and pale sage green walls. It is simply beautiful.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea...

ina_garten2006_d1.jpg

Giada

Shiny_Rock

ina-garten-3.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Any color you want, be subtle, go bold, don''t worry about it. It''s only paint and you can always change it later. This from the woman who hasn''t had a white wall in 30 years.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m with PP. Pick a colour, any colour! I love bright yellows and greens, and I think deep red goes well ANYWHERE.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think I spoke about this before....

But, take your favorite fruit...cut it open, and let those colors be your guide. Every fruit usually has 2 or 3 colors...and Mother Nature rarely makes mistakes.

We let ours follow a Granny Smith apple...we have this green color with yellow undertones and a buttery white with cabinets.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm, Appletini...sounds tasty with the creamy cabinets.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
elledizzy - i think we have the same coffee maker and coffee grinder as you!

atroop -- i always love kitchens that are sunshine yellow! that''s the color i''ll paint my kitchen if i ever get motivated.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 1:29:10 PM
Author: Kismet
Hey waitta minute here....I think we might have exactly the same kitchen color scheme!
1.gif
Ours is a very small kitchen with stainless steel appliances and I think the pale blue-gray gives it an airy, open, cool, and relaxing feeling. I also like very pale gray-taupes, or a very pale creamy butter for kitchens.

We don't have our color accents yet (recently remodeled), but I plan to get a colorful KitchenAid mixer (perhaps in tangerine?) and some countertop decor such as vases or fruitbowls in warm, poppy colors.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Small kitchen owner here:

We're doing the whole of ours in the very near future: white painted cabinets, stainless steel appliances, grey marble floors/surfaces and tiles and the walls painted in either Farrow & Balls 'Cooking Apple Green' or their 'Vert de Terre'. I LOVE F&B paint
30.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:17:52 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I think I spoke about this before....

But, take your favorite fruit...cut it open, and let those colors be your guide. Every fruit usually has 2 or 3 colors...and Mother Nature rarely makes mistakes.

We let ours follow a Granny Smith apple...we have this green color with yellow undertones and a buttery white with cabinets.

sounds beautiful!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 3:02:28 PM
Author: Giada
Here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea...

thx giada

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 5:36:37 PM
Author: Pandora II
Small kitchen owner here:

We''re doing the whole of ours in the very near future: white painted cabinets, stainless steel appliances, grey marble floors/surfaces and tiles and the walls painted in either Farrow & Balls ''Cooking Apple Green'' or their ''Vert de Terre''. I LOVE F&B paint
30.gif

thanks..I will look into that. So glad I posted on PS!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love light sagey color (ooh goodness, I can''t remember the name, but it was Behr paint in our kitchen was kinda small) in our first home it was very pretty even with the oak color cabinet we had, with your creamy cabinets, I bet it would look stunning. .

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 6:08:47 PM
Author: D&T
love light sagey color (ooh goodness, I can''t remember the name, but it was Behr paint in our kitchen was kinda small) in our first home it was very pretty even with the oak color cabinet we had, with your creamy cabinets, I bet it would look stunning. .

thanks..I''ve always been a fan of the sagey color. Now to find samples to see what we can agree on!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve painted our kitchen 4 times since we moved in, not quite 8 years ago. It''s fun. Changes the whole look of the room, relatively quickly and inexpensively. (especially if it''s a small room) What I did this last time was take pictures of the kitchen and post in the Colors forum on hgtv.com, and asked for suggestions. I love what they helped me pick out; it''s been a little over a year now, and I have no thoughts to repaint anytime soon!

With whitewashed cabinets, you could do a chocolate brown..could do a pale yellow..apple green..you''re really only limited to your imagination! Could do a plum even. What color are your counters?

Most of the paint companies websites have color tools, and you can click on different colors to paint walls/trim/ceilings/wainscoting, and come up with cool color combos.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 6:34:47 PM
Author: atroop711

Date: 7/21/2009 6:08:47 PM
Author: D&T

thanks..I''ve always been a fan of the sagey color. Now to find samples to see what we can agree on!
Oooh Try Glidden, I remember once I liked a color that Glidden had, but I like the way Behr paint went up (I tried both brands) Home depot was able to match the color into the Behr paint for me, just a thought.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
When my husband and his girlfriend at the time built the house we are now living in they painted the small kitchen yellow. Unfotunately, it isn''t one of those pretty pale yellows it is smack you in the face yellow with high gloss. I am planning the new paint as we speak and I am doing a very light terra cotta color.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 6:35:46 PM
Author: packrat
I''ve painted our kitchen 4 times since we moved in, not quite 8 years ago. It''s fun. Changes the whole look of the room, relatively quickly and inexpensively. (especially if it''s a small room) What I did this last time was take pictures of the kitchen and post in the Colors forum on hgtv.com, and asked for suggestions. I love what they helped me pick out; it''s been a little over a year now, and I have no thoughts to repaint anytime soon!

With whitewashed cabinets, you could do a chocolate brown..could do a pale yellow..apple green..you''re really only limited to your imagination! Could do a plum even. What color are your counters?

Most of the paint companies websites have color tools, and you can click on different colors to paint walls/trim/ceilings/wainscoting, and come up with cool color combos.

thanks for the heads up about the HGTV forums...will check them out. Don''t know the counter tops yet...the kitchen was built in 1966...so it''s OLD....It will be a while until we can upgrade the entire kitchen and pour some real money into it...right now we will add new doors to the cabinets (or paint and add hardware) just to update..but def. get a new countertop...I''ll take a laminate countertop for now...anything is better than what this has. It''s has metal sharp edges and speckled design from the 60s
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results