shape
carat
color
clarity

What color polish are you rocking right now?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T, I can't help with the staining but I've been finding my polish doesn't chip as quickly if I allow more drying time in between coats. I also have this rubber thing that you can use to take polish off of only one nail without messing the others up if you want to just redo the nail with the chip. Actually, my dd uses a rubber glove lol. Not a perfect solution but at least you don't have to do all of them over. I love wearing nail polish, but I agree it's so frustrating when a nail chips after one day! :wall:
53620DB7-F93C-4EFD-B749-37BDAF10C88F.jpeg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do any of you ladies find that your nails pick up stain from strong colours despite wearing base coat?

The base coat I use is one from Essie. Can’t remember the name, but it’s a transparent greeny colour. Are there better ones out there? And also could it be due to always using a speed dry top coat? I know they penetrate right through layers & harden them.

I love my nail colours. But when I remove them, I have a day free where I apply lots of oils & moisturiser & then if i’m not going for a colour, I have to use a brightener polish or a nude to make them look ‘clean’.

Any suggestions? And also, I can only get 1-2 days out of polish before it chips, which infuriates me as i’m a bit ocd about it, so one chip means the lot comes off. Why might this be? I use base, 2 layers of colour & then Revlon speed dry top coat. My toe polish lasts until it grows away, but I am obviously hard on my hands!
Tinted base could be staining your nails. Whenever I use green basecoat, my nails take on a greenish cast. So I prefer pink tinted base. I use OPI Nail Envy or Duri Rejuvacote. Very few polishes go through basecoat to actually stain my nails so I rarely wear them.
As far as chipping, IMO it mostly depends on polish. Some colors from some brands seem to last longer. The new OPI navy blue I posted couple of weeks ago lasted 10 days on me with minor tip wear. But there are other shades that need to be redone in few days, like the red NOPI. I had to take it off after 4 days because it chipped badly. I find longer wearing formula by trial and error.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Krisking you did a great job with that cuticle line. I just try to keep a steady hand to get a clean line. Some people use pure acetone and a narrow nail brush to clean up cuticles.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T, I can't help with the staining but I've been finding my polish doesn't chip as quickly if I allow more drying time in between coats. I also have this rubber thing that you can use to take polish off of only one nail without messing the others up if you want to just redo the nail with the chip. Actually, my dd uses a rubber glove lol. Not a perfect solution but at least you don't have to do all of them over. I love wearing nail polish, but I agree it's so frustrating when a nail chips after one day! :wall:
53620DB7-F93C-4EFD-B749-37BDAF10C88F.jpeg

I am quite impatient with painting, I must admit. It generally takes me 30 minutes to do all 4 layers. Do you think I need to leave it longer? Nail painting is the only half hour everyone knows not to ask me to do anything. I make a coffee, pop something interesting on the tv & take a break.
P.s. Loving that little rubber gadget!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite impatient with painting, I must admit. It generally takes me 30 minutes to do all 4 layers. Do you think I need to leave it longer? Nail painting is the only half hour everyone knows not to ask me to do anything. I make a coffee, pop something interesting on the tv & take a break.
P.s. Loving that little rubber gadget!

That sounds like enough drying time to me @Alex T...lately I have been using Essie gel couture polish consistently, maybe that has been helping my polish last a little longer? I also wear rubber gloves while doing housework and maybe that helps a little too.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like enough drying time to me @Alex T...lately I have been using Essie gel couture polish consistently, maybe that has been helping my polish last a little longer? I also wear rubber gloves while doing housework and maybe that helps a little too.

Thanks Junie! I might check out the gel polish range, as most of my colours are from Essie. For some reason I thought gel polish had to be applied by a professional & soaked off with special strips. And yes, I own heaps of pairs of Marigolds & wear them for everything at home. My hands can become dry very quickly, so rubber gloves & moisturiser are several times a day for me.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too funny. DH came home with a gift for me - nail polish:lol-2:. Never happened before! He said he liked the color. Not sure I'm going to wear it right away as it looks more if a spring/summer color but I do like it.
IMG_20190126_135102.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I was picking up milk for the kiddos and the store had a Color Club display at the endcap. Needless to say, I walked away with milk and 2 bottles of glitter toppers:twisted2:. This glitter base has a nice blue shift. The other bottle has an orange shift.

Color Club Chance of Rainbows
IMG_20190130_144619.jpg

Last edited:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up 3 shades from Essie's Serene Slate collection. Not sure if it's supposed to be their 2019 spring or resort one. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the new wide brush and the formula in these polishes is excellent. All one coaters for me, even the nude one. I'm thinking of buying the rest of the collection.
Essie Mind-Full Meditation, Cause & Reflect, On Mute.
IMG_20190203_211654.jpg
IMG_20190204_083553.jpg

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@baby monster YAASS! Love the new, wide brush. Those colors look fantastic on you!! BRB :wavey: ***rushes out to get On Mute***

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@baby monster ooh, just checked out the whole collection. There are a lot of gems!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to say that I'm very impressed with the new wide brush and the formula in these polishes is excellent. All one coaters for me, even the nude one.
IMG_20190203_211654.jpg
IMG_20190204_083553.jpg
I bought their fall collection as well as the winter collection which had some metallics with brush stroke potential and find their new brush excellent as well. It feels even bigger than the gel couture one to me?!?! Kinda almost too big for some nails. Regardless Essie's formula have been great for the past several years I think and I didn't even mind their small brush since they started doing decent formulas.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you guys checked out the new spring collections?

Opi Tokyo Collection has been out for a while, it's a 12 piece collection w lots of pinks. Meh....China Glaze also has a collection that's mostly murky looking pastels and some random toppers and mattes they keep doing. Zoya I think has a collection of some cremes with one weird glitter?flakey? looking finish. Overall I am not feeling any of the polishes which is a personal relief considering I went crazy and bought well over 100 polishes from various Black Friday sales!

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PLOPI (Peace Love & OPI)
IMG_20190128_132138.jpg
I wish OPI would do more polishes like these. I don't have this one but have Essie For the Twill of It which is a dupe. I loved the San Francisco collection. Alcatraz Rocks is a fav of mine!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Cockatiel now that's power shopping! I've been waiting for Essie to roll out the wide brush on regular line so haven't purchased any Essie in the past couple years other than trying out their GC line.

As far as spring collections go, nothing I saw so far besides Serene Slate excited me enough to buy. So I'm with you on feeling uninspired by the latest offerings.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stopped by Walgreens today to buy 3 more colors from Serene Slate collection - Wireless us More, Serene Slate and Toned Down. I think the last time I purchased so many colors from the same collection was OPI's San Francisco release.
IMG_20190205_111333.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stopped by Walgreens today to buy 3 more colors from Serene Slate collection - Wireless us More, Serene Slate and Toned Down. I think the last time I purchased so many colors from the same collection was OPI's San Francisco release.
IMG_20190205_111333.jpg

Love all these colors, going to get them! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results