• M

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • N

• O+

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A little fun for the mid-week!
1.gif

This is a color poll, not clarity...though this stone does have visible inclusions! I also do not know which lab graded it...only that it HAS been graded.

Give it your best guess....and if you know this ring...don't give it away. I will post the answer in a few days!
1.gif

EDITED TO ADD: Scroll to bottom for the answer!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
And here are the pictures!
1.gif

poll1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

poll3.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

poll2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

poll4.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara,

I find color a lot harder to gauge than size on a computer monitor!!! I don't even have a wild guess :(. All I can say is that on *my* monitor there seem to be areas that are distinctly yellow.

Deb

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Hard to gauge without a good side view. But my vote was a "L".

rodent.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
L for lellow.
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I went M for mellow. While I don't know this ring, I know of at least one seller on eBay that advertises lots of M color diamonds. This one definitely has distinct yellow tinges to it!
4.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I'll say "N", for "No Idea".

Sort of like bidding $1 on the Price is Right.
1.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
N could also be for N-cluded.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I said M as well. Face-down that's quite yellow.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/29/2003 2:51:37 AM Mara wrote:

A little fun for the mid-week!
1.gif

This is a color poll, not clarity...though this stone does have visible inclusions!
1.gif

----------------

Hi!
I am so glad you posted this! Just curious to see how over-rated getsone of those great and ovelooked shades... By the way: in that other pol about inclusions, ony one post had the right answer (I suspect cited from te source of my picture) and a few voted right... and it was a HUGE, SI2, Ec! really, I can't wait the result of this (hoping it is an O-P, as I suspect...)
appl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I voted J. It could actually be more like a K-L, but if it hasn't been certified by a regognized lab, I guess it got a J.
Clarity... A good I 1.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BUMP! Any more guesses or are you guys ready for the answer?!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay since everyone was so good and we got 55 answers in a day..I'll post the answer.

This stone was graded color J.

By who? That is what I want to know. Almost everyone (except for 3) thought it was at least K or higher (the max of the votes was for 'M' (for Mara!)). The stone does look extremely yellow in these pictures as well as the pictures on the website I found it at.

http://www.faycullen.com/engagementringscloseup2.php?id=1582

Its an old stone, so who really knows when it was graded, but man do those pictures make it look yellow! I chose this particular ring because I saw some others on Fay's site that were M's and they looked the same as this stone did in the pictures. Which makes me think the J grade is very loosey goosey and incorrect. Also, we have had a few posts recently asking 'do J's look white' and this J does not look white at all! Very much in contrast to some of the ACA and SC J's we have seen posted on the Show me the Ring...compare those J's to this one...scary. Shows you what an excellent cut can do I guess!

I want to know who voted J! How did you know it was a J?

Also KUDOS to Giangi for noting that it's a J *and* an I1! I think he's the BIG WINNER! What's the prize? He gets a virtual eBay 'guaranteed to be brilliant' diamond!
1.gif

Thanks for playing everyone.
1.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted M. Holy moly, thats a J! It better be because its a REALLY bad cut! I dont know anything about EC cuts so excuse my ignorance. I'm just thinking, there is no way in hell that I would agree to get that yellow a stone for my sister in law. Yikes!
Do you think the colour has been misgraded?

Judy
:)

Again, **please** excuse my ignorance!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I voted before I read the whole thread, so I wouldn't influence my vote. That thing looks way, way more yellow than my K/L, so I said N.

Is it enormous? My K/L is 1.65 carats. Maybe if that thing is huge it'll show much more yellow? Or maybe my monitor is badly calibrated? (In which case, so is everybody else's.)

I refuse to believe that's a J. If that's a J, my K/L is an F and my F is a B.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow that's cool! Thank you Mara! I'll take two of them, please!
9.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Oh God, now Giangi's gonna have a swelled head.

It was hard enough to keep him under control before, with him being Italian and all.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rich,
Whats wrong with out of control Italians?
naughty.gif
love.gif
saint.gif

I'm Italian too you know.
appl.gif
hahahaha

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I was one of the four who voted J. It looks like a J to me. It's an old stone & the photos are deceiving. If you look at the side stones, they are of similar color.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually F&I...the side stones are H's according to the website page (see my previous post and link).

rolleyes.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/30/2003 1:04:32 PM Mara wrote:

Actually F&I...the side stones are H's according to the website page (see my previous post and link).

rolleyes.gif

----------------

Yeah, the disparity between the sides & the center wasn't h to l/m. Much more subtle. Also, OEC's really hold color differently & are very difficult to photograph. You see much more of the crown on the side as the table is smaller.

Besides, I still think the pics were wacky. The whole pic has a cast to it. I've said this before - pics can be deceiving - especially with color. I know it's really tough w/ furniture & orig color & finish. The only way to really determine is to have a "control" in the pic.

Edited to add that I assumed the sides were of near colorless. Guessed right.

DKS

Rough_Rock
I also voted J.

I am a color snob, and it looked J to me.
9.gif

I would never buy my sweetie anything but colorless, but to each his/her own.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't vote because I didn't want to skew the results, but when I first saw this I thought it was more like M color! I was appalled to see that it was graded a J. Esp after seeing some of the recent H&A J's that people have bought which look super white to me.

Plus as I noted, some of Fay's other diamonds which WERE graded M's looked very similar to this in pictures--which led to to think this stone was possibly mis-graded or graded a very long time ago. Also as F&I somewhat alluded to, older stones may show more color depending on cut. Photos make a huge difference too but I highly doubt that Fay meant for this J to look this yellow! So maybe it really IS.
errrr.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/30/2003 3:31:32 PM Mara wrote:

Photos make a huge difference too but I highly doubt that Fay meant for this J to look this yellow! So maybe it really IS.
errrr.gif

----------------

Mara, many OEC buyers like the warm colors; so, maybe she wanted it to have "that" look.
9.gif
wink2.gif

OEC's are more like a mature women. The warmer colors are part of their charm.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ya know something? I make no secret about my preference for stones in the D-E-F range. But I kinda like that one.
1.gif
A warm tinge seems to add to the OEC's character and charm.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe someone with more photographic practice than I could explain this... To me it seems that diamonds' color is the characteristic least fairly represented by pictures. All those grades are great, but how many buyers actually get to see a line-up of diamonds across color grades? At least one would expect that each shop would take care to preserve some decent resemblance between picture and diamond, but, just look below: both those are graded (fresh) F, VS1 and pictured on the same site. Not that one could not imagine why selling diamond grades has it's own advantages or why customers cannot be offered all that hands-on training. But still, will we ever be allowed to use just the eyes and common sense for choosing these expensive pieces? Uh...
sad.gif

f.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results