shape
carat
color
clarity

What carat size should I go with?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tasarian

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

i have been reading the forums here diligently and think the information here is truly incredible. Thanks to all that contribute.
So i have decided on the ring I am getting my girlfriend, but i cannot decide on what carat size would be best suited. My budget won''t let me go above 1.2 carats, yet perhaps a one carat with better color etc would look better.

Here is the ring i am set on. She is size 4 finger. What size would look best with this, as I am buying online I can''t tell :)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/2-2mm-0-54ctw-Common-Prong-Ring.html

Thanks in advance for recommendation

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends, whats more important to her? size or color/clarity?

I would get the best cut for sure, then depending on what she values most then go from there.

I have a size 4 ring finger and I have a 1.21 carat, and the size looks great imo, but I also like the warmer look to a stone so I went with a larger carat weight then color of course cut was the most important to me.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 8:37:43 PM
Author:Tasarian
Hi Folks,

i have been reading the forums here diligently and think the information here is truly incredible. Thanks to all that contribute.

So i have decided on the ring I am getting my girlfriend, but i cannot decide on what carat size would be best suited. My budget won''t let me go above 1.2 carats, yet perhaps a one carat with better color etc would look better.

Here is the ring i am set on. She is size 4 finger. What size would look best with this, as I am buying online I can''t tell :)

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/2-2mm-0-54ctw-Common-Prong-Ring.html

Thanks in advance for recommendation

I think both a 1 and 1.2 ct. ring will look fabulous on her (and I love the setting - I have the 1.9 mm version of it for my sapphire, and it''s a beautiful, delicate setting). What color are you looking at for the 1.2 v. the 1 ct? If it''s a question between say a D colored 1 ct. and a G colored 1.2, I don''t think it''ll matter very much - esp. if it''s a well-cut stone that performs very well optically. But if you''re looking at say a K colored 1.2 v. a F colored 1 ct., the color difference will be more noticeable.

Tasarian

Rough_Rock
Thanks. i am looking for a F-G color, round ideal cut.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2009 8:55:17 PM
Author: Tasarian
ok- then go for G and bigger is my vote - I doubt you''ll distinguish a color difference really once set

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 8:58:25 PM
Author: D&T

ok- then go for G and bigger is my vote - I doubt you''ll distinguish a color difference really once set

Ditto

Tasarian

Rough_Rock
Thanks D&T and Brown Eyed Girl. Thats going to be alot of rocks on one hand especially once I get the matching wedding band. hehe. I know she''ll love it. Now I just need to find a diamond
cheers

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
welcome anytime!
35.gif
now the fun part...to find the diamond
31.gif
by the way! and Welcome to PS! Glad you are here!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2009 9:12:38 PM
welcome anytime!
35.gif
now the fun part...to find the diamond
31.gif
by the way! and Welcome to PS! Glad you are here!
Ditto - welcome, and if you need any help finding a diamond just ask!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2009 8:58:25 PM

ia

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's better to go with a larger diamond and pick a plainer setting, if you have budget constraints, but you decide what's important to you. :) A bigger diamond gives you a good platform to work with and a fancy setting can be purchased later. Also, depending on the style of the head, sometimes a 6 prong makes a RB look larger diameter, kind of an optical illusion due to how the 6 prongs encircle the stone. They can switch the head on that setting easily. Also, with a 6 prong, it's harder to lose a diamond b/c the gaps between prongs are smaller. With 4 prongs, a prong can get bent to the side and the diamond might be able to tilt it's way out of the remaining three.

The difference between 6.3 or 6.5 mm 1ct and 7 mm is noticeable. A few years ago, the rule of thumb was that a 1.25ct cost on average only 10% more than a 1ct of same color and quality but gave you a lot more visual impact. Try to hit 6.8 to 7mm diameter. It will be obviously larger than the typical 1ct. Compared to non-PS diamonds, many commercial cut 1cts are deep and have a smaller diameter like 6.2mm, so your PS diamond compared side to side with the average 1cts out there will look even bigger.

Tasarian

Rough_Rock

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you requested for Idealscope images?

The AGS stone will need to be look at by the JA gemologist, it has a comment of clarity based on cloud not shown, might impact the optical performance of the stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am leaning towards that too. But check to make sure that grade setting cloud is not affecting the performance with the JA gemologist.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually the first GIA diamond, the second and the AGS stone will all need careful evaluation due to their grade setting clouds, ask James Allen's gemologist to inspect these for you to make sure the clouds aren't impacting performance. All the diamonds show potential so I would find out about these clouds and which are eyeclean to your standards again by asking JA, then once you know that you can request Idealscope images for up to three of your selections.

If that grade making cloud on the first GIA diamond isn't having a negative impact then it could definitely be a good contender, Idealscope will tell us more.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
There's this nice H SI1 from Good Old Gold. H SI1 H is still plenty white, and GOG's stones are generally cleaner and a little better cut. Plus you have the lifetime trade-in and /or buyback, which JA doesn't offer. If it's a high H, it won't be much different from a G, especially if the JA stones are close to H anyway. It's an AGS stone, and often they are better cuts. Lesser stones sometimes are sent to GIA, where they will get a batter score. No affiliation, except I have a GOG stone and would buy from them again.

That JA #1231089 is an AGS graded stone but it looks like JA has a bad pic of it, lol. (edit: unless clouds not shown are everywhere for a general haze). It gets only 2 on the HCA but is an AGS 0. Maybe some of the experts can comment on that. It might be great visually but the pavilion angle seems a tad steep on paper. But, generally the barkers are not sent to AGS in the first place. If you reduce the pav angle to 40.9, it's a 1.7 HCA and 40.8 is 1.4 ex/ex/ex/vg HCA. Maybe that stone is okay. Don't take my word for it. I'm not the PS experts, lol.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2009 11:59:38 AM
Author: HVVS
There's this nice H SI1 from Good Old Gold. H SI1 H is still plenty white, and GOG's stones are generally cleaner and a little better cut. Plus you have the lifetime trade-in and /or buyback, which JA doesn't offer. If it's a high H, it won't be much different from a G, especially if the JA stones are close to H anyway. It's an AGS stone, and often they are better cuts. Lesser stones sometimes are sent to GIA, where they will get a batter score. No affiliation, except I have a GOG stone and would buy from them again.

That JA #1231089 is an AGS graded stone but it looks like JA has a bad pic of it, lol. It gets only 2 on the HCA but is an AGS 0. Maybe some of the experts can comment on that. It might be great visually but the pavilion angle seems a tad steep on paper. But, generally the barkers are not sent to AGS in the first place. If you reduce the pav angle to 40.9, it's a 1.7 HCA and 40.8 is 1.4 ex/ex/ex/vg HCA. Maybe that one stone is okay. Don't take my word for it. I'm not the PS experts, lol.
The photo isn't great, an Idealscope image is a better tool to judge the diamond, some AGS0 do have steeper angles and higher HCA scores but if you have images these always trump the HCA also the aim is to score below 2 with the HCA then use images for final selection. Pavilion angles are very important, in this case it is probably ok but if you start going much over 41 even with shallower crown angles which balance the pavilion on the HCA you can get other undesirable issues from steep pavilion angles, so best to keep pavilions at 41 deg or or less for the best cut diamonds.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I see JA now has a trade-in and buyback policy. But GOG lets you trade in on a stone that only cost $500 more and buys back for 75%. I think I'd still go with GOG or Whiteflash over JA. Those two (usually) routinely provide more information for the stones they list, they respond fast to customer inquiries, and I've personally found JA a little less than eager to provide the equivalent documentation. JA made it easy for me to buy elsewhere.

Tasarian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses.

JA is extremely slow in getting the IS images to me, and as the CDN is so high at the moment I would like to hop on this soon. Can anyone comment on the following 2?

Rated 1.3 on the HCA
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1254636.asp

Rated 1.1 on the HCA

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1259565.asp

I''m afraid that by the time JA gets back to me with any IS images the exchange rate could plummet.

Does anyone think it''s worth sacrificing some size to move up to a VS2? For some reason I just cannot find an si1 on JA that I am in love with.

THanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call JA up, maybe the email got lost in the system, not unheard of.

The 2 VS2 looks good, depends on what you want.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 8:10:54 AM
Thanks for the responses.

JA is extremely slow in getting the IS images to me, and as the CDN is so high at the moment I would like to hop on this soon. Can anyone comment on the following 2?

Rated 1.3 on the HCA
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1254636.asp

Rated 1.1 on the HCA

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1259565.asp

I''m afraid that by the time JA gets back to me with any IS images the exchange rate could plummet.

Does anyone think it''s worth sacrificing some size to move up to a VS2? For some reason I just cannot find an si1 on JA that I am in love with.

THanks
Both diamonds look very good, VS2 can be a fine choice so go with that if nothing you like in SI. Give JA a call, sometimes over zealous spam filters can stop emails getting through so telephone them to be safe.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Stone. Call JA; you''ll get a better response. Both VS2 stones look good from the numbers.

Look on the GIA certs; you''ll see under "Inscription" that both stones are cut from Canadian rough and are "H&A" or hearts and arrows.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 8:34:16 AM
Author: sarap333
Ditto Stone. Call JA; you'll get a better response. Both VS2 stones look good from the numbers.

Look on the GIA certs; you'll see under 'Inscription' that both stones are cut from Canadian rough and are 'H&A' or hearts and arrows.
I don't believe JA are selling these as h&a and I don't know if they offer hearts images to prove this on non True Hearts, so if a h&a diamond is what you want Tasarian you would need to request hearts images as well as an Idealscope image for these, but like I say I am not sure if they will give hearts images for diamonds which are not their True Hearts brand. But if you aren't concerned about necessarily having a h&a diamond but just want a well cut stone then either of these could fit the bill.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 8:39:14 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto Stone. Call JA; you''ll get a better response. Both VS2 stones look good from the numbers.

Look on the GIA certs; you''ll see under ''Inscription'' that both stones are cut from Canadian rough and are ''H&A'' or hearts and arrows.

I don''t believe JA are selling these as h&a and I don''t know if they offer hearts images to prove this on non True Hearts, so if a h&a diamond is what you want Tasarian you would need to request hearts images as well as an Idealscope image for these, but like I say I am not sure if they will give hearts images for diamonds which are not their True Hearts brand.

Yeah, I wondered about this, Lorelei -- I haven''t seen this before. Is the "H&A" inscription the cutter''s assertion that it''s H&A?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2009 8:42:43 AM

Yeah, I wondered about this, Lorelei -- I haven''t seen this before. Is the ''H&A'' inscription the cutter''s assertion that it''s H&A?

Cutter''s inscription probably. GIA is just reporting what is inscribed on the girdle.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 8:42:43 AM

Date: 10/7/2009 8:39:14 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto Stone. Call JA; you'll get a better response. Both VS2 stones look good from the numbers.

Look on the GIA certs; you'll see under 'Inscription' that both stones are cut from Canadian rough and are 'H&A' or hearts and arrows.

I don't believe JA are selling these as h&a and I don't know if they offer hearts images to prove this on non True Hearts, so if a h&a diamond is what you want Tasarian you would need to request hearts images as well as an Idealscope image for these, but like I say I am not sure if they will give hearts images for diamonds which are not their True Hearts brand.

Yeah, I wondered about this, Lorelei -- I haven't seen this before. Is the 'H&A' inscription the cutter's assertion that it's H&A?
Probably the cutter/supplier Sara, they can ask GIA to inscribe anything they want on the diamonds - so to them the diamonds might fit their criteria for being h&a but as you know might not be in reality according to the standards here anyway!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you're right, Lorelei -- as a fellow PS'er I know "H&A" needs to be confirmed with hearts. That's why this inscription caught my eye. Do you think the maple leaf inscription is a "safe" indication that this stone was actually cut from Canadian rough? It seems like Canada is pretty strict about that. My .53 stone, which was cut from Canadian rough, had a number inscribed on the girdle that was traceable to a data base put together by the Canadian mine.

There have been a few threads lately about girdle inscriptions, so inquiring minds want to know!
35.gif
1.gif

Anyway, I did think these stones had great potential, just looking at the numbers (love the small tables, too, personally!) and are well worth further consideration by the OP. The VS2 is typically a very safe clarity grade as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2009 9:54:08 AM
Yes, you''re right, Lorelei -- as a fellow PS''er I know ''H&A'' needs to be confirmed with hearts. That''s why this inscription caught my eye. Do you think the maple leaf inscription is a ''safe'' indication that this stone was actually cut from Canadian rough? It seems like Canada is pretty strict about that. My .53 stone, which was cut from Canadian rough, had a number inscribed on the girdle that was traceable to a data base put together by the Canadian mine.

There have been a few threads lately about girdle inscriptions, so inquiring minds want to know!
35.gif
1.gif

Anyway, I did think these stones had great potential, just looking at the numbers (love the small tables, too, personally!) and are well worth further consideration by the OP. The VS2 is typically a very safe clarity grade as well.
I always assumed so but now you mention it I am not absolutely sure....Maybe one of the vendors might be able to confirm that one.

Tasarian

Rough_Rock

Attachments

• 1262673 loupe.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 422
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results