shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Report --- Cavity---

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jackoh5225

Rough_Rock
Should I be concerned about a Cavity on the edge of a VS2 Diamond by GIA Report? I am worried since it is listed as the 2nd item under "KEY TO SYMBOLS" on the GIA Report. I was told GIA list the top being the worst (inclusion) issues and bottom being the smallest of the problem (inclusion). The listing is as follow:

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
Cavity
Cloud
Needle

PLEASE HELP ME WITH YOUR THOUGHTS.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2008 11:17:24 PM
Author:jackoh5225
Should I be concerned about a Cavity on the edge of a VS2 Diamond by GIA Report? I am worried since it is listed as the 2nd item under ''KEY TO SYMBOLS'' on the GIA Report. I was told GIA list the top being the worst (inclusion) issues and bottom being the smallest of the problem (inclusion). The listing is as follow:

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
Cavity
Cloud
Needle

PLEASE HELP ME WITH YOUR THOUGHTS.
A cavity is a polite word for hole, it may not be an issue in a VS2 depending, get an expert appraiser or vendor to check the diamond out and advise accordingly.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Being a novice to diamond education, can you define what crystal means??

Thanks!
9.gif

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 8:27:46 AM
Author: BeachRunner
Being a novice to diamond education, can you define what crystal means??

Thanks!
9.gif

Diamond crystals are our favorite type of inclusion because they are essentially nothing more than small diamonds that were trapped within a larger diamond crystal as it formed. Think of it like having tiny ice cubes trapped within a larger ice cube as it formed in your freezer... No big deal. Common types of diamond crystals are described as crystals, needles, clouds and pinpoints.

Pinpoints: a "pinpoint" is simply a tiny diamond crystal that looks like a pinpoint of light when viewed under higher magnification such as 20x and higher. Pinpoints are often not indicated on the plotting diagram on diamond grading reports because they can be difficult to locate, thus you might see the comment "pinpoints not shown" under the "comments" section of a lab report. Pinpoints are indicated on diamond grading reports as small red dots that are about the size of a pinpoint - go figure

Clouds: a "cloud" is nothing more than a small group of pinpoint size diamond crystals. Generally speaking, a "cloud" will consist of three or more pinpoint size diamond crystals located in close proximity. Since smaller diamond crystals tend to be translucent, most clouds are not a reason for concern. However if a single cloud appears to cover a third or more of a diamond it should be looked at very closely and the effect that it might be having upon the visual performance of the diamond must be considered. Clouds are indicated on diamond grading reports as circles or formations comprised of small red dots or pinpoints.

Needle: a "needle" is simply a long, thin, diamond crystal... Instead of being circular in shape, it is long and thin. No big deal.

A "feather" is essentially a tiny fracture. We suppose that the labs use the term "feather" as opposed to "crack" because it sounds a whole lot more appealing, but then again they don't call a "cavity" a bubble so who knows... Feathers are indicated on the plotting diagram on diamond grading reports as tiny red lines or hash marks... Take a good look at the edges of the diamond indicated above and you will see a whole bunch of tiny red lines located along the edge of the diamond. Generally speaking, the presence of a few small feathers are not reason for concern, however we feel that feathers which are substantial or which break the edge of the diamond may present a future durability risk to the diamond and require extensive evaluation.

Natural: A "natural" is simply part of the original "skin" of the diamond that was left on the diamond instead of being removed during the cutting and polishing process. Essentially it is part of the original diamond rough which is the uncut crystal from which a polished diamond is crafted. Most often a natural is left on a diamond because removing it would reduce the weight of the finished diamond unnecessarily. Most naturals are located along the girdle edge of a diamond although we have also seen them on minor facets from time to time.

Indented Natural: an "indented natural" is simply a natural which is indented into the surface of the diamond... Indented naturals are often mistaken for chips by people who do not take the time to evaluate the inclusion under higher levels of magnification... Once again, the extent and location of the inclusion must be taken into account during the evaluation process to determine whether the inclusion is acceptable.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the information!!
36.gif

jackoh5225

Rough_Rock

Does it matter on the GIA Report the order of listing under "KEY TO SYMBOLS"? I read somewhere that GIA list from the worst of the inclusion on top and smaller of the inclusion on the bottom. If this is true should I be worried that my report looks like this since "CAVITY" is the second item on the list:

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
CAVITY
Cloud
Needle

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 10:08:12 AM
Author: jackoh5225

Does it matter on the GIA Report the order of listing under ''KEY TO SYMBOLS''? I read somewhere that GIA list from the worst of the inclusion on top and smaller of the inclusion on the bottom. If this is true should I be worried that my report looks like this since ''CAVITY'' is the second item on the list:

KEY TO SYMBOLS
Crystal
CAVITY
Cloud
Needle

they are in order of severity.

jackoh5225

Rough_Rock
Does a Cavity on the Diamond such as I have described lower the asking price? Also would it make it less desirable?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results