shape
carat
color
clarity

what can i expect during a good diamond appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moneyman

Rough_Rock
I just bought a diamond online and will be taking it to an independent diamond appraiser to get their take on the diamond. I have never done this before. Can anyone please give me an idea of what I should expect from a visit to the appraiser? Are idealscope and ASET images and Sarin tests common place or is that typically extra? Also, how much would the appraisal typically cost for something 2.7ct? Thanks, any information would be very helpful so I can start calling around ASAP. I wish I could use the PS approved appraisers, but there aren''t any in my area.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A good appraiser should take you through the process of first verifying your stone is the same as the certification. They will compare the color, look at inclusions under a high powered microscrope, etc. Then, they should comment on any issues whether the diamond is in perfect condition, or whether there are chips, etc. If the stone is set, they will comment on the quality of the setting. Depending on what you ask for, they may comment on the cut.

My appraisal was about $100, but prices can vary from $75-200.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Without asking anyone else for advice first, please share why you are intending to go to an appraiser? If you have any substantive motives, don't be shy about sharing this with them.

Also, if you share where you are, those in the know may be able to direct you to a non-listed appraiser.

And, review both here for several threads on the general subject, and there's one in the Journals area, too.

Main thing...what you ask for, in advance of your showing up for your visit, can set what happens during the appraisal, so be inquisitive, and proactive, and whether or not your appraiser has a set approach, don't assume you need to go completely along with it.

BTW, pricing can be pretty variable. I paid market pricing of over $200 for less than a carat. But, i think it is usually less.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Some appraisers charge per carat, so an appraisal for a larger diamond costs more. You have a large diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results