shape
carat
color
clarity

“Appraise the Appraiser” - Help for Consumers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I was alerted to this article coming, and I''m looking forward to reviewing further, soon.

The first thing I notice, though, is the jewelery on Denver Appraiser...but I don''t think it''s his own. A necklace wouldn''t look that good on him.

Maybe shifting some pictures around would help?

Many thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great information and points of view from the appraisers. I especially thought the discussion of fluorescence was interesting. Thanks; nicely done and very helpful!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excellent article, thank you.
It makes me sad that Bill didn't get to see it published.
He is missed.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very comprehensive! Great job everyone.

As a side note... Our industry still has lots of issues to work out. Our local media in the Boston area
continues to investigate and spotlight every jewelry related topic from innacurate appraisals to
unethical business practices. I''ve seen at least 4 stories since January.

Jewelry and specifically diamonds are always hot topics.

I see our role as appraisers to include educating the consumer and being the "watchdogs"
of the industry.

We care about consumers first. We are working for you.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
OK, sorry...I'll add three cents (and a ps)...

1) - Headlines

a) I found interesting the discussion of independent appraisers, and Nel's comment that he won't apply the term "independent" to his work anymore.

b) re eye clean...you can't say that Richard Sherwood won't speak his own mind

c) re Hearts & Arrows...three things occurred to me:
i: there was a reason to follow the trail of the authorship back to Brian
ii: Genuine insight was brought forward about the objective reference his system plays for those seeking H&A
iii: the question of the overarching value of H&A was not more fundamentally clarified, though, or given substantive respect

2) - Nits

I appreciated the variance, and/or aspects of the discussion on the following points:

a) what the user can take away if not meeting with the appraiser in person

b) the discussion about durability was beefy

c) "angles" into clarity seeking was interesting

d) consistent with past practice for professionals here broadly, though I thought it might be different here somehow, discussion about "cut quality" was somehow a yawn-fest...but since many of these guys are what we can call "tuned in," I don't know exactly what to make of this

e) the closing section was interesting, with respect to appraisers overall reach, and the basis upon which they do continuing business. Apparently, referral business is serious. And...for the most part...with the exception of our dear and departed Bill, local action, despite the internet, is where it's at...though it seems the internet has a pervasive influence on the business as well.

3) dreams...

a) imagine that Denver might like to engage in "de-bate"

b) further, imagine that Richard might like to "tackle" tough problems

c) suppose Neil and Richard decide to set up shop somewhere, where at the front of the shop they do appraising...but this is really just like the tailors at the front of the shop where they have the "Man from UNCLE. In the back of the shop...it's where they do their real work. It's really a bait and tackle shop, and these guys are going fishing when they're at their real work.

Closing thoughts...

The selection of these particular guys certainly adds some value, and if there's an explicit basis for it, it may be interesting to hear. I felt free to mention Denver in a recommendation recently, because I thought he has been the most thoroughgoing and also active practitioner verbally here, especially of late. Richard used to have what was effectively a column, on guerrilla appraising, and his pieces are still here in the FAQ section...and though he's been quiet in the last 1/2 year, his closing comments on advertising may speak volumes. Patti Geolat, and Arthur & Julie Nash I don't think show up here to speak of, but obviously they're more than known to have been included in this special piece. Consequently...this piece does additionally point up a few things:

- it introduces appraisers we haven't been exposed to here
- it helps us know more deeply all the appraisers presented here
- it also opens a window into the category of ...as Neil would need to qualify..."so called" "independent appraisers," and adds insight into the ways they, as a category, broadly do add value.

smithy617

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 1:41:51 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Very comprehensive! Great job everyone.

As a side note... Our industry still has lots of issues to work out. Our local media in the Boston area
continues to investigate and spotlight every jewelry related topic from innacurate appraisals to
unethical business practices. I''ve seen at least 4 stories since January.

Jewelry and specifically diamonds are always hot topics.

I see our role as appraisers to include educating the consumer and being the ''watchdogs''
of the industry.

We care about consumers first. We are working for you.

Hi,

Where can I read more about this Boston area situation. I too live in Boston area and want to read more on this topic that you''ve mention.

Thanks,

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi smithy,

I attempted to find the archived articles on two TV sites but sometimes they pull the older stories.
I was a consultant on two stories within the past year: One was regarding pawnbrokers and the other
turned into a consumer story on selling jewelry. A few weeks ago, a story about selling scrap gold appeared.
Check the consumer sections on our big 4 local stations...I''m sure some of these stories will pop up if you
search "jewelry" or "gold." Or feel free to contact me directly to learn more.

It''s great to stay informed and I applaud your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results