shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on this oval? Too gray? Bowtie?

fairyfairy398

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, first post here. I just got this engagement ring a week ago. So far I'm quite happy with it since oval is my absolute most favorite shape, but since I haven't seen another oval in real life I'm wondering if mine can be considered a good one... These are the photos I took in different lighting condition What are your thoughts on the bowtie? Or whether the stone looks a little gray? How about the crushed ice effect?

Also here are the stats:

Weight: 2 carat
Color: F
Clarity VVS2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Depth: 60.8%
Table: 56.5%
L/W ratio: 1.37

Any advice is really appreciated! Have a good day ~

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and your lovely ring!

Even well cut diamonds can look dark especially in bright sunlight. I have read several explanations for this...BG answers this question by saying it is a visual effect from bright sunlight reflecting from your diamond is so bright that with your pupils also constricted it appears dark. Maybe that plays a part but that does not explain why a camera picks up the same effect.
I believe I read someone here say that one bright source from very far away is not the ideal way diamonds are designed to collect light. Indoor lighting, multiple sources make a diamond look much more lively. This makes more sense to me but I am an amateur. hopefully someone with more knowledge can help clarify for you but it is common and nothing to worry about.

Crushed ice look is all about personal preference. I don't care for it myself but many do. The bowtie doesn't seem too strong in most of the pics. But it is noticeable and even expected in an oval cut. Overall I think your diamond is very pretty. The halo sets it off nicely without attracting too much attention and it is well fitting on your hand.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Your ring is beautiful. Yes, there's a whole thread on Ideal/Excellent cut diamonds going dark or grey in certain lighting. Garry (cut nut) did a great video. I don't know how to post a thread into a thread, but I'll try to find the name of the thread so you can search it up.

I'm copying the link here, the heading is, Do all well cut diamonds must appear dark.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement, what an exciting time! I have to ask do you like the diamond? is there something that you would change?

I think the shape is lovely on your hand but I can’t say I’m a fan of the stone itself. It also doesnt matter what anyone else thinks of it as long as you love it.

fairyfairy398

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your helpful input!

Congratulations on your engagement, what an exciting time! I have to ask do you like the diamond? is there something that you would change?

I think the shape is lovely on your hand but I can’t say I’m a fan of the stone itself. It also doesnt matter what anyone else thinks of it as long as you love it.

I'd say my biggest concern is the bowtie, I feel it looks quite prominent in certain lighting, but I understand it's a common issue for ovals. Could you share more on why you think the stone is not very good?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement!!!

When you rock the ring back and forth does more of the stone light up or put off sparks? Do you get some nice sparkles from under the table
(outside of the center area)?

Those facets that go threw the center are nice facets that return light well. What you want to see when you move your oval is more nice facets
lighting up down towards the rounded ends of the stone (under the table).

Is your stone like these?

Or do you see something like these?

Its really hard to find good Ovals.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It’s a lovely ring, quite substantial of high color and clarity. I do not think you should second guess this.
Gorgeous mounting, F color, VVS clarity, 2 carat, beautiful shape appeal... my only input is that you should bask in the glory of your engagement and how blessed you are to have a ring like this, one that most would love to have.

fairyfairy398

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!!!

When you rock the ring back and forth does more of the stone light up or put off sparks? Do you get some nice sparkles from under the table
(outside of the center area)?

Those facets that go threw the center are nice facets that return light well. What you want to see when you move your oval is more nice facets
lighting up down towards the rounded ends of the stone (under the table).

Is your stone like these?

Or do you see something like these?

Its really hard to find good Ovals.

Thanks for your input. I added two videos, one in natural light and one in indoor light I would say my stone is more to the mushy side like your first two examples, but not as much. Sparks-wise, I think my oval is doing quite ok, it's not crazy sparkly throughout, I guess it's because of the mushy-ness?

It’s a lovely ring, quite substantial of high color and clarity. I do not think you should second guess this.
Gorgeous mounting, F color, VVS clarity, 2 carat, beautiful shape appeal... my only input is that you should bask in the glory of your engagement and how blessed you are to have a ring like this, one that most would love to have.

I agree with you I think it's beautiful! I'm just curious to see people's honest thoughts on this, as I haven't had the chance to look at other ovals in real life yet.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Are you interested in changing it? If that is not something possible, then don’t rethink, second guess, or compare to others. You will just cause yourself unnecessary suffering. Also, if you get a different stone, the current mounting might not work, so keep that in mind.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your helpful input!

I'd say my biggest concern is the bowtie, I feel it looks quite prominent in certain lighting, but I understand it's a common issue for ovals. Could you share more on why you think the stone is not very good?

Bow tie is prominent and the overall cut could be better, honestly your fiancée was looking for the best of the best going with colorless, flawless, and big! Sadly as it has been stated already ovals are difficult to shop for and come in many flavors (cut wise) and there are better ovals out there

I hope my comment doesn’t offend but I think that you came here for honesty and education, that is what the people on the site do best (everyone is also so nice which is a major bonus).

My ideal oval (minus the hefty price tag lol)

Here is a site to help you learn about the different cuts of ovals

Also very nice example of a great cut oval

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
As @KKJohnson highlighted, your fi did a great job at selecting you a large stone that is also colorless and of hi clarity. And set in a beautiful fully diamond encrusted mounting. I just don’t think you should rock the boat. I think it will be a total insult to him and it would be my “marital advice” as one married over 30 years that you don’t go there.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @KKJohnson highlighted, your fi did a great job at selecting you a large stone that is also colorless and of hi clarity. And set in a beautiful fully diamond encrusted mounting. I just don’t think you should rock the boat. I think it will be a total insult to him and it would be my “marital advice” as one married over 30 years that you don’t go there.

I understand your thinking headlight. However I am always one to rock the boat and I’m going on 23 years and I’m still floating. Honestly the bow tie is obvious to me and once I see it I cannot unsee it. How about you? Is there room for discussion between you and your fiancé? Or are you just getting educated and can live with whatever you have? Offering no relationship advice here cause that can be dangerous. Just my observation is that the bow tie can be seen and there is some mushiness as well. Congratulations on your engagement and a lovely ring from your fiancé.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful. If you can't exchange the diamond or you decide not to because you love it just the way it is, I would like to suggest one more thread: A love for not perfect diamonds.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly i can only see the bowtie on one of your pictures and i have to squint to see it
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
i think its a really beautiful ring and its an awsome size !
Congratulations on your engagement

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes it’s a good idea to give your ring a really good cleaning and then put it away for a few days. Don’t look at it. After a few days (1 week preferable!), take it out, put it on, and see how you feel about it.

fairyfairy398

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for offering your thoughts and concern! All are good advices. Honestly I think I’m ok with the bow tie since I feel like it sort of gives some depth to the stone when it's not too prominent? My fiance is open to exchanging the ring if I'm unhappy with it so I'm just trying to decide if I should even attempt to find another as it's definitely not easy to find the 'perfect' oval!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your fiance is open to exchanging if you desire, I think its good to look around and see what is available in your LxW and budget.
You may find out the one you have is the one you want to keep.

If you do find another stone that you think you might like, post a link to it here and we'll be happy to give our opinion.

Otherwise, its a lovely ring and quite large. I think most people would find it amazing!

Edit...these have nice faceting but may not be your LxW and/or budget
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true 4 main...different kind of look

Blue nile floods their stones with lights so they will look different than yours in natural light. They wont always look as good or as bright as the BN
videos but it does help to show their faceting patterns.

Last edited:

fairyfairy398

Rough_Rock
Since your fiance is open to exchanging if you desire, I think its good to look around and see what is available in your LxW and budget.
You may find out the one you have is the one you want to keep.

If you do find another stone that you think you might like, post a link to it here and we'll be happy to give our opinion.

Otherwise, its a lovely ring and quite large. I think most people would find it amazing!

Edit...these have nice faceting but may not be your LxW and/or budget
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true 4 main...different kind of look

Blue nile floods their stones with lights so they will look different than yours in natural light. They wont always look as good or as bright as the BN
videos but it does help to show their faceting patterns.

Thank you for the examples! I'll keep these in mind when I look around for another stone.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@fairyfairy398 You may end up liking many types of oval cut for different reasons & your stone too.

-

Edited to add: I cannot open the videos and not for lack of trying... Looking for an example of beautiful oval close to what I think must be the budget, I came accross this www - a deeper cut, but those seem to work for ovals & are reasonable in long stones (siince the % is calculated over the short diameter).

2p

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results