shape
carat
color
clarity

Do all well cut diamonds must appear dark?

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Likely broad spectrum LED light directly overhead, yes. Similar effect to sunlight.

Thank you!! I have been wondering about this for almost a year. Thanks again!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is generally all about the lighting situation In which you are viewing the diamond. I am sure there are other times in different areas that it looks white.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My diamond looks dark in sunlight

If you look at a diamond in direct sunlight then the better and brighter the cut - the darker the diamond will appear.

I took these photos on a hot 30°C cloudless day in front of my Canterbury store.

The first photo shows 5 different cut styles in direct sunlight. You will note the ideal-cut round on the right appears darkest (the blue hue is from the sky, the dark areas are reflections from the black phone).

Note that the only a few bright flashes in the ideal-cut round but there are twice as many in the marquise in the center ring. Yet in real life the round is quite a bit brighter than the marquise.

1592877466230.png

In the photo below I moved the stones into the shade of my body; note the round ideal-cut is now the brightest!
1592877509620.png
The better the cut the darker a diamond will appear in sunlight.

So if you think your diamond looks dark in direct sunlight – do not worry, it is a sign that the cut is really good.

If you want to look at diamonds out-doors then shade the direct sunlight. Or better still, wait for a cloudy day and find a leafy tree that has thousands of tiny point light sources and then you will be amazed at the combined brightness and firey coloured sparkles!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here I have modelled a 1.75ct and a 1ct with exactly the same amount of yellow tint (in DiamCalc).
Note that the large stone appears yellower.
a 10ct G looks quite yellowish. (this is a sad fact of the way the grading system is. Same errors hold for clarity - almost all 10ct VS2's are eye visible etc )

1592878105598.png

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
My diamond looks dark in sunlight

If you look at a diamond in direct sunlight then the better and brighter the cut - the darker the diamond will appear.

I took these photos on a hot 30°C cloudless day in front of my Canterbury store.

The first photo shows 5 different cut styles in direct sunlight. You will note the ideal-cut round on the right appears darkest (the blue hue is from the sky, the dark areas are reflections from the black phone).

Note that the only a few bright flashes in the ideal-cut round but there are twice as many in the marquise in the center ring. Yet in real life the round is quite a bit brighter than the marquise.

1592877466230.png

In the photo below I moved the stones into the shade of my body; note the round ideal-cut is now the brightest!
1592877509620.png
The better the cut the darker a diamond will appear in sunlight.

So if you think your diamond looks dark in direct sunlight – do not worry, it is a sign that the cut is really good.

If you want to look at diamonds out-doors then shade the direct sunlight. Or better still, wait for a cloudy day and find a leafy tree that has thousands of tiny point light sources and then you will be amazed at the combined brightness and firey coloured sparkles!

Thank you very much for this explanation! My halo ring looks exactly like that in direct light--dark with a white halo, and then bright white in the shade. I think the white gold halo makes it more obvious that the stone has gone dark. I don't notice it as much with my three-stone ring because all the stones are doing the same thing. Thanks again!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
So my whole ring doesn't go dark, just one area on the top gets a dark grey half moon when tilted at a certain angle.
It's visible only from that angle. Is that something similar to the issue here? If not what can it be? It drives me nuts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So my whole ring doesn't go dark, just one area on the top gets a dark grey half moon when tilted at a certain angle.
It's visible only from that angle. Is that something similar to the issue here? If not what can it be? It drives me nuts.

picture = 1,000,000 words

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Garry H (Cut Nut) I will have to try it.
I only see it from that exact angle, if I tilt it slightly then the dark area disappears. Is that common with leakage?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Garry H (Cut Nut) I will have to try it.
I only see it from that exact angle, if I tilt it slightly then the dark area disappears. Is that common with leakage?

Experiment with a torch and all will be revealed :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is the ceiling or even walls dark where you took the pic? Is it just in one room you see it?

If its not leakage and not the ceiling, its obstruction.
Move some bright colored paper in front of your face/hair see if you see the paper color in the diamond in that area.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
It's in the bank safe so no experiments now.
Celing is white under bright lights .

@Karl_K what is obstruction? Csn you clarify more?

The weirdest thing is I didn't notice this in my ring until months after wearing & examining my ring closely. One day nothing, the next it was there.
However even cleaning makes no difference.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Polabowla I see the same window in most videos of heart shape diamonds that are not very shalllow cut - it seems inevitable to see through the table and the large vertical facets at the notch. Only in the very shallow cuts the range of such viewing angles (tilt toward the screen for the stones in vieos) is very narrow - hardly to be seen, but, such stones are not often brilliant & not often bright at all [digressing - brighteness with little brilliance is possible - but there are so few such mirror bright, shallow heart shapes! - or any shape, for that matter.]

2c

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results