shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, missy, it's easier to breathe if you don't cover your nose!

BTW, I looked at some sites where medical students and surgical residents were comparing strategies on how to get used to breathing behind maks. Besides taking a xanax (a serious suggestion), ths best recommendation given was to relax. I was glad that the problem was so ubiquitous, but not only do I have trouble breathing behind a mask, but my nose always runs behind one!

Here is Chuck Schumer wearing a mask. Incorrectly. Oy vey. ::)

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 7.33.50 AM.png

At least the Governor of NJ was wearing his mask correctly when I saw him wearing it. And Cuomo too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, missy, it's easier to breathe if you don't cover your nose!

BTW, I looked at some sites where medical students and surgical residents were comparing strategies on how to get used to breathing behind maks. Besides taking a xanax (a serious suggestion), ths best recommendation given was to relax. I was glad that the problem was so ubiquitous, but not only do I have trouble breathing behind a mask, but my nose always runs behind one!

I have trouble breathing with a mask on too but if you don't cover your nose it isn't protecting you enough. The virus can enter through the mouth, eyes and nose. My biggest issue is the fogging of my glasses. No wait, my biggest problem is sweating behind the mask. My face starts sweating as I run hot. But of course we can all just do the best we can. Hang in there and hugs. Hope your DD's FI is doing better and that you are all well and in good spirits.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m livid that Wisconsin is doing IN PERSON polling/voting with fewer locations and fewer poll workers causing longer lines and increased crowding. During a pandemic!

How did coming up with a safe at-home alternative turn into partisan bickering. Putting politics over lives. Unbelievable.

One of my friends is a physician there and is seriously considering moving to a different state because he’s so enraged.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feeling nostalgic

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.51.26 PM.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't use Twitter but while reading JPie's link I saw that someone had commented that he would not watch MSNBC until it stopped covering the (so-called) Trump daily briefing. I have no problem with it. When Trump comes on, I end up shutting it off. It didn't start out to be my policy. I used to listen to the entire thing. I think it just became more and more unbearable over time and now as soon as Trump comes on I find myself switching off.

What strange times we live in when a processed meat company is the voice of reason...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably a bizzare thing to say at this time but I think I've got a mad crush on our premier.

She's been doing her best and when she was elected her pet project was actually education. She had all these wonderful plans in regards to gifted education and was really passionate about it. We were so excited since our son was diagnosed as gifted last year. Now the poor lady is stuck dealing with this virus but doing a great job. Just lots of common sense our premier!

Go away wretched Covid19 and let Gladys do her thing with education dammit!!!!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't use Twitter but while reading JPie's link I saw that someone had commented that he would not watch MSNBC until it stopped covering the (so-called) Trump daily briefing. I have no problem with it. When Trump comes on, I end up shutting it off. It didn't start out to be my policy. I used to listen to the entire thing. I think it just became more and more unbearable over time and now as soon as Trump comes on I find myself switching off.

Yeah now I just read transcripts because listening to him tell lies and self congratulate just raises my blood pressure. I have enough to be stressed about right now. I don’t need to be angry on top of everything else.

I still want to be informed and aware though so I just read the transcripts when I’m calm and showered and have a cup of tea and friends I can vent to as I read it lol.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah now I just read transcripts because listening to him tell lies and self congratulate just raises my blood pressure. I have enough to be stressed about right now. I don’t need to be angry on top of everything else.

I still want to be informed and aware though so I just read the transcripts when I’m calm and showered and have a cup of tea and friends I can vent to as I read it lol.

Here is a link to a column in "The New York Times" urging the media to stop its coverage of the briefings. The media is playing into his hand as if it is the propaganda arm of the Trump administration. It allows him unlimited airtime to lie and pander to his base. Don't tell me this is not like Nazi Germany. I studied Nazi Germany in graduate school.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m livid that Wisconsin is doing IN PERSON polling/voting with fewer locations and fewer poll workers causing longer lines and increased crowding. During a pandemic!

How did coming up with a safe at-home alternative turn into partisan bickering. Putting politics over lives. Unbelievable.

One of my friends is a physician there and is seriously considering moving to a different state because he’s so enraged.

To add insult to injury, Trump says he thinks mail in votes are “cheating”, and is also going to be mailing in his own Florida vote because obviously it’s not cheating when he does it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a link to a column in "The New York Times" urging the media to stop its coverage of the briefings. The media is playing into his hand as if it is the propaganda arm of the Trump administration. It allows him unlimited airtime to lie and pander to his base. Don't tell me this is not like Nazi Germany. I studied Nazi Germany in graduate school.

Media has to make money somehow. We should stop creating the responsive audience to them.

I think I still have an account on Twitter, but I follow only one historian, once a year. Never checked the “morning tweets”.

I haven’t even noticed if we have a cable, or DH unsubscribed. TV is too slow for me anyhow, and I said I wouldn’t care either way. Seriously - I don’t know.

Why do people listen to what is said by our government, and then get upset? Does anyone expect to hear something, like...containing more than a noun, a verb and one more part of speech linking the two? I don’t. It is a waste of time. I do make a mistake by getting involved in political discussions, but I should be smarter. Leave people to own opinions.

I think my governor is handling the crisis the best he can. I respect governors Inslee and Newsom. My hope lies with people like them.

Recently I listened to the speech of Angela Merkel and thought, somewhere, some people have a good, smart, compassionate, strong leader. I am very happy for the Germans. Listening to Angela was the time well spent.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do people listen to what is said by our government, and then get upset?

I am currently reading a book which is described on its cover as "brilliant, poignant and so very, very English". When I thought about the question you posed above, I thought that it was a very Russian question. Americans find it normal to listen to what the government says, then to get upset.

Deb :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am currently reading a book which is described on its cover as "brilliant, poignant and so very, very English". When I thought about the question you posed above, I thought that it was a very Russian question. Americans find it normal to listen to what the government says, then to get upset.

Depending on what side of the aisle you're on, some Americans right now pre-get upset, then listen to what's being said (maybe).

ETA: Deb, my comment is not directed at you, it's about your comment, which I found funny when I thought about the whole thing in a different order. Definitely no offense to you my friend!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on what side of the aisle you're on, some Americans right now pre-get upset, then listen to what's being said (maybe).

no offense to you my friend!

No offense taken.:))

During this month of 8,000 days (see the poem missy posted in the meme thread)* anyone can get upset about anything. Domestic violence and child abuse are both up. Crime is down (at least in New York...see Governor Cuomo) because everyone is taking out his anger at home.

*(missy's poem)
Thirty days hath September,
April 2019, June, and November,
all the rest have thirty-one
Except March (and now April 2020) which has 8000

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would say that the Russian Government and the US Government are different in their approaches to their minions, er, I mean populous that voted them in...

.... I think?? :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually what would be correct is:

Trumpski removes Fine and replaces him with a lackey.

If, three years ago, President Trump had removed two inspectors general from their posts within a week of each other for overtly self-interested reasons—as he has done over the past few days—it would have been a big scandal. Presidents don’t just fire inspectors general for doing their jobs, after all. And presidents who agree to have an oversight board composed of inspectors general don’t typically sack one of them to prevent him from leading the board’s monitoring of trillions of dollars of congressionally appropriated money.

Vote Blue.

"Removes" is more than misleading - "Replaces" would have been a better headline.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is why DeBlasio remains forever on my worst mayor list. So stubborn and ignorant that he doesn't even admit when he makes a mistake. SMH.

NYC Mayor says that it wasn’t a mistake to tell people to keep dining out
Mayor Bill de Blasio doesn’t regret telling New Yorkers to keep eating out at bars and restaurants in mid-March, the New York Post reports.

During a radio interview on NPR’s Morning Edition this week, de Blasio said that his comments during a press conference on March 11 — in which the mayor told New Yorkers not to avoid restaurants if they weren’t sick — weren’t a mistake, despite research showing that the virus was already spreading quickly in the city by that time.

In response to a question on whether he would backtrack his earlier comments now, given what the public knows about the spread of COVID-19, de Blasio said, “No, because I said that literally about a day before they were all about to be shut down.”

On March 12, restaurants and bars were ordered to operate at half-capacity. The full shutdown followed a few days later, on March 16.

Earlier this week, Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, the former commissioner of the city’s health department and the former head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said that the new coronavirus’s death toll could have been cut by 50 to 80 percent if the city had put stricter social distancing guidelines in place just a week or two earlier.

According to NYC’s department of health, there have been 87,725 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in the city, 21,571 hospitalizations from the virus, and 4,778 deaths as of Thursday, April 9, at 5 p.m.

Thank goodness we have Governor Cuomo.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually what would be correct is:

Trumpski removes Fine and replaces him with a lackey.

If, three years ago, President Trump had removed two inspectors general from their posts within a week of each other for overtly self-interested reasons—as he has done over the past few days—it would have been a big scandal. Presidents don’t just fire inspectors general for doing their jobs, after all. And presidents who agree to have an oversight board composed of inspectors general don’t typically sack one of them to prevent him from leading the board’s monitoring of trillions of dollars of congressionally appropriated money.

Vote Blue.

Assuming we’re empowered to vote... after the Wisconsin fiasco which basically asked people in urban cities to risk their health in order to vote while severely limiting polling locations, I won’t be surprised if November voting is rife with voter interference if not outright voter suppression.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming we’re empowered to vote... after the Wisconsin fiasco which basically asked people in urban cities to risk their health in order to vote while severely limiting polling locations, I won’t be surprised if November voting is rife with voter interference if not outright voter suppression.
Every time when a Dem. loses they blame voter suppression.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump said today that he has ”absolute authority” to ease social distancing guidelines. He said he didn’t know if he has had a bigger decision and hopefully it will be the right decision. He pointed to his head and said he will be using the metrics in his mind to reopen.

Trump said the biggest decision of his life will be when and how to ease the social distance guidelines and reopen.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Trump said today that he has ”absolute authority” to ease social distancing guidelines. He said he didn’t know if he has had a bigger decision and hopefully it will be the right decision. He pointed to his head and said he will be using the metrics in his mind to reopen.

Trump said the biggest decision of his life will be when and how to ease the social distance guidelines and reopen.

Doesn't it fall under states rights? Or maybe not, in the time of Trump.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results