shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

Q

Queenie60

@smitcompton I’m happy you are well and doing ok. I’m glad you have been able to get everything you need and are taking good care of yourself Annette.

Thank you for the update on the hospital. It’s good to know CDH is handling is taking measures to keep everyone safe. It’s also a relief to know they aren’t overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients At the moment. I’m hopng the measures our governor put in place help slow the curve.

I think of you and @Tekate offen as I watch Trump‘s daily briefing. The misinformation being spoken and the inconsistencies in the messaging is dangerous. I can’t believe people still support him.

My husband loved your comment.

@Queenie60 and @Dancing Fire, Do you listen to Trump’s daily briefing? Are you reading and watching what he does or are you not watching the news?

Why am I not surprised that someone wishes to shame me for finding that morbid post to be awful and offensive? And yes, I do listen to Trumps daily briefings. However, my opinion does not matter to any of you as I am a terrible, money hungry Republican.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
many of them don't wear masks, and its not because it doesn't look cool (no matter what they're saying) its mostly because accessibility laws in the US. You don't see governors or mayors with them either...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why am I not surprised that someone wishes to shame me for finding that morbid post to be awful and offensive? And yes, I do listen to Trumps daily briefings. However, my opinion does not matter to any of you as I am a terrible, money hungry Republican.

Please do not feel that everyone who is "on the other side of the aisle" somehow holds you in contempt! My political views often differ from yours, but my views of human situations are often very similar. I never viewed you as an adversary!

When Demon posted her photo, I saw nothing disrespectful in it. I did not see anything in it that was directed at Holy Week. I think that her intent was humanistic.

When you posted, however, I understood your point of view. It is Holy Week (although it doesn't feel like it to me). I will not be able to see my family at Easter as I always do. And I certainly understand that you could be affected by sights seen by you as a person of faith.

I just hope that we can give each other the benefit of the doubt. In general, most Pricescopers are caring people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Queenie60 I just want you to know I don't think of you as that at all. I think of you as a caring and lovely PSer and it is OK we don't all share all the same views.

I agree it is a lot of sad and depressing stuff right now. And we all process and handle stress differently. There is no one right or wrong way. And fwiw I hope you know many of us care about you here.

Please do not feel that everyone who is "on the other side of the aisle" somehow holds you in contempt! My political views often differ from yours, but my views of human situations are often very similar. I never viewed you as an adversary!

When Demon posted her photo, I saw nothing disrespectful in it. I did not see anything in it that was directed at Holy Week. I think that her intent was humanistic.

When you posted, however, I understood your point of view. It is Holy Week (although it doesn't feel like it to me). I will not be able to see my family at Easter as I always do. And I certainly understand that you could be affected by sights seen by you as a person of faith.

I just hope that we can give each other the benefit of the doubt. In general, most Pricescopers are caring people.

I should have just dittoed @AGBF and her wise post.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
many of them don't wear masks, and its not because it doesn't look cool (no matter what they're saying) its mostly because accessibility laws in the US. You don't see governors or mayors with them either...

Governor Murphy (NJ) is wearing a mask. Not while giving his press conferences but going in and out and they are sitting 6 feet apart. I am pleased to see that.

I don't remember if Governor Cuomo was wearing a mask today at the press conference. I hope he was.

As for Trump I will just ditto others. If he is as smart as he thinks he is he would be wearing a mask. That is all I will say on that issue.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry guys, the materials that 3M uses for those masks comes from BC... So if Trudeau wants to play hardball he can easily stop the raw materials needed, and then no masks for anyone.

I seriously feel like if the govts had've communicated and said "hey, we have as many deaths as you have cases, we really need these, can we work something out?" You KNOW canada would be like "Oh heck yeah lets do XYZ".

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry guys, the materials that 3M uses for those masks comes from BC... So if Trudeau wants to play hardball he can easily stop the raw materials needed, and then no masks for anyone.

I seriously feel like if the govts had've communicated and said "hey, we have as many deaths as you have cases, we really need these, can we work something out?" You KNOW canada would be like "Oh heck yeah lets do XYZ".

Trudeau is a class act. Unlike you know who.

Again I want you to know most of us in the USA completely support Canada and are appalled by what Trump is doing. Appalled and disgusted and embarrassed and upset.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trudeau is a class act. Unlike you know who.

Again I want you to know most of us in the USA completely support Canada and are appalled by what Trump is doing. Appalled and disgusted and embarrassed and upset.
I believe him when he said it - but that was 2 days ago. If Trump continues to block exports of much needed materials I don't think it will be off the table. Our numbers aren't nearly as bad, but if the reuters article is correct that Ontario will run out of equipment in 1 week, then desperate times will have desperate measures. He doesn't want to piss off Trump, but he also can't let canadians go without because of a bully.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe him when he said it - but that was 2 days ago. If Trump continues to block exports of much needed materials I don't think it will be off the table. Our numbers aren't nearly as bad, but if the reuters article is correct that Ontario will run out of equipment in 1 week, then desperate times will have desperate measures. He doesn't want to piss off Trump, but he also can't let canadians go without because of a bully.

I agree completely! It is a travesty. It feels like we are in some sort of really bad horror movie and we have a monster in charge. But it is our reality right now. :knockout:

Hoping Trudeau can get through to Trump. If anyone can he can.

Premier Dwight Ball said a central lesson for humanity is that in times of crisis you don’t stop being human,

Exactly!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Its a funny thing how we tend to lean toward some people over others. I too, think of Callie and Tekate often; Callie for her straightforward writing and Tekate for her humility. Very few people would give credit to NYC for giving them/her a chance at an education. NYC did the same for me.

As Deb has said most PSers are nice people, decent people, even those with opposing opinions.. I believe DT is a bad man, you do not see it that way. While it is hard to defend oneself when you are in the minority, as you are on here,you must learn not to take this personally. Being a Republican or a Democrat is not the core of life for most of us. These are the worst of times, at least in my lifetime.
I learned that I post what I think and try not to engage in back and forth. I just want to express myself. On occasion when someone wants to argue, I just don't reply. If others want to discuss and argue, they do. But you don't have to engage either. State your thoughts and leave it at that if you want.

It is Holy Week and I wish we could all be like that man on the cross. I am an atheist, but recognize goodness and love. Those are the fundamentals of life. Its what I can see in others when I look. But everyone on here ought to be able to state their views. You are not our whipping boy. Just don't engage back when you feel you can't.

Happy Easter

Annette

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Well in the UK our Prime Minister has been admitted to ICU now with Covid-19 symptoms. I am not historically a Tory supporter but I do like Boris Johnson. Hope he has a speedy recovery!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine Boris is in a bad way if he’s admitted :/
I don’t know the details of his politics to have an informed opinion, but well wishes to the UK during all this. I imagine have your PM hospitalized doesn’t help anything.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well in the UK our Prime Minister has been admitted to ICU now with Covid-19 symptoms. I am not historically a Tory supporter but I do like Boris Johnson. Hope he has a speedy recovery!

Sending well wishes his way.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Source? I’m genuinely unaware of a law governing facial wear on politicians. Someone wouldn’t surprise me if this was regulated for some obscure reason like needing to see a statesman’s mouth so we know they aren’t lipsyncing or something.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poverty isn’t simply behavioral. There are studies out there that show that the brains of children who live in poverty are smaller than the brains of children who live in more affluent areas. This means that the issues that come from these children as they grow older will be physiological, not behavioral. This fact isn’t new, it is just newly discovered. Generations of people with less gray matter, etc, this will affect decision making and emotions. Although this will appear to be behavioral, this is a physiological issue. Yes, poverty is a complex issue...much more than “poor people, poor habits.”
Do they know if that is just down to poorer nutrition / lower levels of food energy to grow larger?
At first,, they thought the lack of nutrition, emotional support, and safety was the issue. Now they are saying that poverty itself is the cause for the brain abnormalities.
Thank you for the reply!

If the outputs/outcomes of poverty are not identified as a cause for smaller brains in children, I'm not sure I understand how just having less money is a cause??! :???:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Source? I’m genuinely unaware of a law governing facial wear on politicians. Someone wouldn’t surprise me if this was regulated for some obscure reason like needing to see a statesman’s mouth so we know they aren’t lipsyncing or something.

ADA Title II goes into a lot of detail about this at the state and local levels and is the same at federal levels (this is why you can see so many Title II lawsuits.

I'll give you the easy to understand portion:

Use of Masks... Its a grey area for some, in others, its a no way do not use because Accessibility and the possibility of a Title II Lawsuit. Those not using are usually advised by someone on their staff about accessibility laws.

This is what I did for many years at the fed level. Fed laws are somewhat different as they have a higher standard but are primarily similar when it comes to TV Broadcasts/Video.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 and @Dancing Fire, Do you listen to Trump’s daily briefing? Are you reading and watching what he does or are you not watching the news?
When I have time I'd watch some. Why? If Trump cured the virus tomorrow the left still wouldn't be happy about it.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ADA Title II goes into a lot of detail about this at the state and local levels and is the same at federal levels (this is why you can see so many Title II lawsuits.

I'll give you the easy to understand portion:

Use of Masks... Its a grey area for some, in others, its a no way do not use because Accessibility and the possibility of a Title II Lawsuit. Those not using are usually advised by someone on their staff about accessibility laws.

This is what I did for many years at the fed level. Fed laws are somewhat different as they have a higher standard but are primarily similar when it comes to TV Broadcasts/Video.

Oh that actually makes sense as to why they don’t wear masks during the actual talking part of conferences. Wouldn’t prevent them from wearing one when they aren’t presenting though right?

Sorry I wasn’t trying to imply you were making it up, I was genuinely curious since I’d never heard of it. Neat!

Yeah in Asian countries they take the masks off when making the speeches or talking at things but there are plenty of photos of them wearing them around otherwise.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that actually makes sense as to why they don’t wear masks during the actual talking part of conferences. Wouldn’t prevent them from wearing one when they aren’t presenting though right?

Sorry I wasn’t trying to imply you were making it up, I was genuinely curious since I’d never heard of it. Neat!

Yeah in Asian countries they take the masks off when making the speeches or talking at things but there are plenty of photos of them wearing them around otherwise.

Its OK, I am perfectly fine with anyone asking for sources. I could have said because I said so but that don't hold much weight...lol I'm happy to provide info if its there.

I've had to deal (hell still do) with the politicians and federal agencies who did not understand that non accessible letters, forms, applications, media, websites,etc is a clear way to getting the government drawn into a stupid court case or FOIA (or both) . In more ways than one, I've had explain was WAS law and why they had to follow it. I can't force them to mind you, but I give them the reasons to do so.

But even with that, there's ambiguity in the law, though there are some very clear points especially for broadcast television and video (that was chapter 5 I believe) No politician should be speaking at a podium with their mouth covered period. That would be impedance does not fly with ADA law should a lawyer want to pursue it.

Even internal to the government there's accessibility rules that should be adhered to because...they're law. They don't always follow their own law though :roll2: which means they can be subject to section 508 , 501, and 505. those last 2 are eeoc and violation of it means compensation must be made if shown the government was at fault.

You made mention of one thing and yes, any can and maybe SHOULD put on a mask when not speaking. However, the fact that you have many politicians that can barely walk and chew gum even on a good day will tell you how good they are about putting on a mask without reaching under it with they're dirty hands, dirtying it up and making themselves look dead silly on camera. Then there's that hair thing.......which goes for both sexes. LOL

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if it's all of Australia but Victoria is going to put health care workers into hotels for free should they decide that they need a place to self isolate so they don't put their families at risk.

Pretty darn awesome isn't it? Proud to be Aussie!

Screenshot_20200406-082454.png

I love this. I have family members in the medical field and this would be a wonderful thing to do for them here in the US.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian, Our governor wears a mask and takes it off right as he reaches the microphone.

Which is fine. as long as he's not talking through it, no law broken. I'm sure he was advised of that.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which is fine. as long as he's not talking through it, no law broken. I'm sure he was advised of that.

Yay for smart governors!
Not gonna lie, I never paid much attention in American civics and didn’t realize the power of governors until this whole fiasco.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wasn’t shaming you or calling you a money hungry republican @Queenie60. This administration had months to prepare and didn’t. Our country will lose so many people due to the president and his administration‘s incompetence. That is shameful. It would be equally shameful if Trump were a Democrat.

Most of us are concerned for our loved ones and our friends. There are going to be so many people that need help when this is over. I hope we are all there helping each other.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Governor Murphy (NJ) is wearing a mask. Not while giving his press conferences but going in and out and they are sitting 6 feet apart. I am pleased to see that.

Here is Chuck Schumer wearing a mask. Incorrectly. Oy vey. ::)

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 7.33.50 AM.png

At least the Governor of NJ was wearing his mask correctly when I saw him wearing it. And Cuomo too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results