color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the cdc's job

heck it even says so right on their website:
"CDC increases the health security of our nation. As the nation’s health protection agency, "

The bureaucrats at cdc were to busy playing left wing politics to do their job.
Every last one of them needs to be fired once this is over.
Karl - you and I are in complete agreement re. mass firings once this is over :(

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl - you and I are in complete agreement re. mass firings once this is over :(
boom! collision alert!

edit: sorry if I sounded grumpy its cuz i am.
I popped a rib again and im in a ton of pain, so its either hurt a lot or zone out on my very limited supply of pain meds.
Im saving them for bed time.
There is no way im going to the doctor to get more right now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boom! collision alert!

:lol: :appl:

Edit - I’m really sorry Karl. No one should have to meter pain relief :(sad I hope you are healing okay!

I’m grumpy too. I’ve now got friends with CV - one is a marathon runner, 37 years old, having trouble breathing ;(

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the UK it's a total disaster from our government as well. It was greatly underestimated and health care providers the seriousness of it.

Public health England (PHE) was issuing reasonable PPE until the 18th March when they suddenly realised they didn't have enough. The new advice prohibits doctors and nurses from wearing proper respirators (FFP3) treating covid19 positive patients <1m away. Colleagues aged have died and several are in ITU on ventilators already. It's not been publicly announced.
The current PPE for medical staff in the UK falls below international standards and WHO recommendations. They state this is based on scientific advice that they refuse to produce any evidence for.

Essentially, they don't have enough and don't want to be seen advising a standard they cannot keep.

Things are very dire in the hospitals in London with the rest of the UK 1 to 2 weeks behind.

Calling it the 'Chinese Virus' doesn't give it the respect it needs as a disease and unfortunately despite the many thousands of deaths in China our governments were too slow to appreciate the scale of the problem. Now the UK is finally in lock down, something which should have happened much sooner based on lessons from Italy/China and unfortunately the general public do not listen until it is mandated.

This is an interesting and humbling listen from last week from an intensivist consultant

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
:lol: :appl:

Edit - I’m really sorry Karl. No one should have to meter pain relief :(sad I hope you are healing okay!

I’m grumpy too. I’ve now got friends with CV - one is a marathon runner, 37 years old, having trouble breathing ;(
Prayers outgoing for your friends.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why didn’t our country ramp up production of masks, PPE and ventilators when we found out what was happening in China back in January? As a result our doctors, nurses and first responders don’t have the supplies they need to protect themselves and help save others. The position we have put our doctors, nurses and first responders in is shameful. This is a failure on our government

Stopping flights from China wasn’t doing enough and we knew this months ago. How quickly you forget that this administration didn’t listen to the warnings from scientists that have been reported the past two months.
same answer I posted on the other thread...

Had the chinese government lock down Wuhan and acknowledge the virus to the world in Dec. a lot of lives would had been saved. Please stop defending the Chinese government for covering up this virus. .. :wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boom! collision alert!

edit: sorry if I sounded grumpy its cuz i am.
I popped a rib again and im in a ton of pain, so its either hurt a lot or zone out on my very limited supply of pain meds.
Im saving them for bed time.
There is no way im going to the doctor to get more right now.

@Karl_K I'm sorry you are in pain! Isn't it possible to call your doctor and have him send an RX to the pharmacy for the pain meds you need? My mom was able to have her rheumatologist send her pain med RX to her pharmacy and she got a 2 month supply. They are pretty strong pain meds she is on and generally she can only get a one month supply but I guess because of the pandemic she was able to get more pain meds than usual.

I hope you start feeling much better very soon!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K I'm sorry you are in pain! Isn't it possible to call your doctor and have him send an RX to the pharmacy for the pain meds you need? My mom was able to have her rheumatologist send her pain med RX to her pharmacy and she got a 2 month supply. They are pretty strong pain meds she is on and generally she can only get a one month supply but I guess because of the pandemic she was able to get more pain meds than usual.

I hope you start feeling much better very soon!

They have a system wide rule that all narcotics have to to be ftof they might wave it but I worry about getting marked as seeking and not able to get them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have a system wide rule that all narcotics have to to be ftof they might wave it but I worry about getting marked as seeking and not able to get them.

Karl feel free to ignore me but my advice is get it just in case. Please don’t worry about getting labeled. If you should need it you will have it and right now every little but helps. Don’t suffer in pain. Get relief. So you can remain strong.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Had the chinese government lock down Wuhan and acknowledge the virus to the world in Dec. a lot of lives would had been saved. Please stop defending the Chinese government for covering up this virus. .. :wall:

we're finding out most govts aren't up to the task with this type of crisis. i don't think we should defend China or overlook mistakes the Chinese govt has made, but that doesn't mean here in the US we use China's shortcomings to deflect from our own. And sure as heck doesn't mean we tolerate increased racism against individuals. All of that is energy wasted when we should spend every bit of political and moral capital right now trying to stop the spread of this virus and take care of people who are sick and suffering.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually what the governors believe

2.1Exercise Federal Forbearance. Governors recommend that:

• Federal action should be limited to situations in which constitutional authority for action is clear and certain.
  • Federal action should be limited to problems that are truly national in scope.
  • Federal action should be sensitive to each state’s ability to bring a unique blend of resources and approaches to common problems.
  • Unless the national interest is at risk, federal action should not preempt additional state action.
In your world Karl, we are not a country, we are states with a president, congress, senate that really shouldn't be doing anything. It's true that the federal government cannot force laws on the states but we ain't talking a law today we are talking about our country leaders ensuring there are fair and enough masks, medical supplies etc.

I have come to the conclusion that America should break up, each state is a country, like Europe and we can have Washington as a group who watch out for the states each individual interests.

Why be the United States anymore? we aren't united, I'd prefer to no longer send a penny to Alabama, or Mississippi, or Ohio or many of the red states, I want all my money to go to Texas only. There is no reason to call us the United States of America anymore.

Actually it isn't.
The federal government has no authority to act except as advisors until requested by the states.
The states are the first responders the federal government are relief pitchers.
This comes up every time there is an emergency of some kind.

The bureaucrats at the cdc failed miserably advising the states that is true.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hI,

Lets back up here so I can understand better.

How does the CDC become informed about possible new virus.?

Does NSC become informed by Intelligence sources, and then relay to the Pres?. Does the Pres or
NSC inform the CDC?

Does the CDC inform the States, each one .

Does the Pres or his appointees inform the States of incoming virus.?

Why has it been reported that the Pres decided to back seat, (or eliminate) information from CDC because he thought they were alarmists when giving info to the public.

How you can still defend the Pres, I absolutely cannot understand.

Some Gov. are heros. New Yorks is . A quid pro quo Pres who wants appreciation and praise for providing essential life saving equipment or a State may not get the items is a criminal and moral cretin in my book. Hes not much different than a man with Covid 19 coughing on others. He simply cannot put others above himself.
Yes, he has cost us lives in our country.

Annette

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quid pro quo Pres who wants appreciation and praise for providing essential life saving equipment or a State may not get the items is a criminal and moral cretin in my book. Hes not much different than a man with Covid 19 coughing on others. He simply cannot put others above himself.
Yes, he has cost us lives in our country.

:clap:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
United States of America
The name says it all, it is not the federal government of America.
It is a collection of states with the power of the federal government supposed to be limited by the constitution and all other powers reserved to the states and the people.
I say supposed to be because the federal government has been taking power they should not have and 90% of todays federal government is unconstitutional as framed by the founders.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I say supposed to be because the federal government has been taking power they should not have and 90% of todays federal government is unconstitutional as framed by the founders.

The founders framed it when there were only 13 states. How could we expect them to devise a framework that would work 37 states, 5 territories and over 200 years later?

I have come to the conclusion that America should break up, each state is a country, like Europe and we can have Washington as a group who watch out for the states each individual interests.

Why be the United States anymore? we aren't united, I'd prefer to no longer send a penny to Alabama, or Mississippi, or Ohio or many of the red states, I want all my money to go to Texas only. There is no reason to call us the United States of America anymore.

Yes to this. Except not one red cent of my tax money going to Texas! :lol: Keep it all in New England for me please.

The U.S. had a good run but will not last forever. Hopefully it breaks up peacefully.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually what the governors believe

2.1Exercise Federal Forbearance. Governors recommend that:

• Federal action should be limited to situations in which constitutional authority for action is clear and certain.
  • Federal action should be limited to problems that are truly national in scope.
  • Federal action should be sensitive to each state’s ability to bring a unique blend of resources and approaches to common problems.
  • Unless the national interest is at risk, federal action should not preempt additional state action.
In your world Karl, we are not a country, we are states with a president, congress, senate that really shouldn't be doing anything. It's true that the federal government cannot force laws on the states but we ain't talking a law today we are talking about our country leaders ensuring there are fair and enough masks, medical supplies etc.

T would it help you to think of the US as more like the European Union instead? Rather the EU like the US. Freedom to move about and trade but the local governing belongs to the local government? It seems they got the initial idea from somewhere. ;)) :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone think the wealthiest of the wealthiest of us need a(nother) tax break to help deflect coronovirus losses?

Trump & Co.do.
And it’s retroactive. To 2018/2019.
As in, Before Coronavirus.

And an opinion piece:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm okay with that :) I'd love to be back up north, but gotta go where the grand daughter is :)

The founders framed it when there were only 13 states. How could we expect them to devise a framework that would work 37 states, 5 territories and over 200 years later?

Yes to this. Except not one red cent of my tax money going to Texas! :lol: Keep it all in New England for me please.

The U.S. had a good run but will not last forever. Hopefully it breaks up peacefully.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said, I'm ready to break it up. There is no longer a need for a united states government. the states are too polar. (Personally as framed by the founders mean nothing since it's now 2020 and not 1778, the world it totally different) I'm ready to break up or make the constitution modern, we cannot live in 2020 with 1778 mind-set, it's dumb to say the least, Backward too.

The name says it all, it is not the federal government of America.
It is a collection of states with the power of the federal government supposed to be limited by the constitution and all other powers reserved to the states and the people.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a breakup I see no reason to have these differences anymore, it's wasteful, neither side can change and don't want to. What I want for the future of my country is not what conservatives want. like the EU? that would have to be agreed upon by each state. And no I don't think at this time a united states could be like the EU.

Goals and values of the EU
Goals
The goals of the European Union are:

• promote peace, its values and the well-being of its citizens
  • offer freedom, security and justice without internal borders
  • sustainable development based on balanced economic growth and price stability, a highly competitive market economy with full employment and social progress, and environmental protection
  • combat social exclusion and discrimination
  • promote scientific and technological progress
  • enhance economic, social and territorial cohesion and solidarity among EU countries
  • respect its rich cultural and linguistic diversity
  • establish an economic and monetary union whose currency is the euro.

This is nothing like the US today. I don't think the red states are interested in the goals and values of the EU, there's a lot more in th goals and values that would be not able to happen in the US. So know I don't think a EU type situation would work at this time. At this time the only thing that would work is individual countries of Alabama..... and they would out their own treaties, laws etc. It would be up to each countrystate to allow travel, accept currency, make laws, so one could live in NY and have same sex marriage and one who wants can live in Alabama and outlaw gay marriage in their country, I am sick of a one size fits all America, I am willing to break this country up in a heart beat.

T would it help you to think of the US as more like the European Union instead? Rather the EU like the US. Freedom to move about and trade but the local governing belongs to the local government? It seems they got the initial idea from somewhere. ;)) :bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said, I'm ready to break it up. There is no longer a need for a united states government. the states are too polar.

I, also, am very fed up with how the country has been run with Trump, Republicans, and red states. I would gladly join with Massachusetts and even the other original 13 colonies in some ways. But stop for a minute. Think about The Civil War. Think about the sacrifices made for our union. Think of how we pulled together in the great world wars and how we still feel a kindred spirit with all other Americans. I think that these moments of wanting to split up are just momentary flares of anger, anger that many of us are feeling now when we are under pressure and feeling fear.

I think we should all just take a deep breath.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way I see it: Red states and conservatives want to live by rules made i 1778, when there were 13 colonies, this is 2020, I cannot live in the past but live in the present, I have always believe in progress, and being progressive. I once had a therapist tell me that I couldn't move on in life if I kept looking back over my shoulder. When I read nonsense like 'the constitution says' 'the framers said', well what the he@@ would the framers say today? My husband said that the constitution should be changed to reflect modern time and I so agree with that, either we change this none sense from 1788 or let's breakup. xoxo deb

I, also, am very fed up with how the country has been run with Trump, Republicans, and red states. I would gladly join with Massachusetts and even the other original 13 colonies in some ways. But stop for a minute. Think about The Civil War. Think about the sacrifices made for our union. Think of how we pulled together in the great world wars and how we still feel a kindred spirit with all other Americans. I think that these moments of wanting to split up are just momentary flares of anger, anger that many of us are feeling now when we are under pressure and feeling fear.

I think we should all just take a deep breath.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I literally know zero health care workers right now who are happy with US government handling of this. Even prior trump supports are pretty mad at current federal leadership (or lack there of) at this point.

Interesting thing I learned from my family in China, apparently there are rules in place about mass exporting supplies to the USA that are not in place the same way for other countries. Sigh. This is what happens when both leaders of countries are petty, name calling, wannabes. This is not the time to have a Cold War guys.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I literally know zero health care workers right now who are happy with US government handling of this. Even prior trump supports are pretty mad at current federal leadership (or lack there of) at this point.

Interesting thing I learned from my family in China, apparently there are rules in place about mass exporting supplies to the USA that are not in place the same way for other countries. Sigh. This is what happens when both leaders of countries are petty, name calling, wannabes. This is not the time to have a Cold War guys.

Yeah. Both of them children:(

In other but related news.

:(

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What do you reckon the outcome would be if this thing broke out in the US first? You think Donald would have declared it a national emergency straight away, locked down the city, and kept all Americans from flying out to the rest of the world?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, Thanks for proving my point when I say "chinese products are crap". :knockout: We need to move manufacturers back to the US and not to depend on China especially medications and medical products.

That actually wasn't the point I was making and I have no comment re products from anywhere. I have no desire to disparage anything made in China or elsewhere. Just saying maybe it isn't a great loss that China won't send us any help re Covid 19. At first I was upset hearing they were sending help to other countries but with Trump in office and the horrid behavior from both leaders it is what it is and we will not be receiving any assistance from China. It's a shame we cannot all work together to help one another but that is what happens when red tape and ill behaved foolish politicians are involved. :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you reckon the outcome would be if this thing broke out in the US first? You think Donald would have declared it a national emergency straight away, locked down the city, and kept all Americans from flying out to the rest of the world?

Probably not. Donald Trump is not someone I respect nor look to as an example of good leadership and exemplary behavior.

But the wet markets (which mix legal and illegal species) like the one in Wuhan and other places should be illegal. Slaughtering and grilling bats, dogs, rats, crocodiles and snakes, with improper sanitary measures is very dangerous. I would like to see all of it banned everywhere.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results