shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your thoughts on how government is handling COVID-19

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I cannot get “Containment” on Netflix. Boo!
I had access “World War Z” (Brad Pitt) instead, where a virus turns everyone into zombies.o_O

where a virus turns everyone into zombies.o_O

ha! that's up next Jimmi! I love WW Z and I watched Containment last night!

janlwf

Rough_Rock
Yes Minister, the British TV show, always seems to have a clip on Government's lack of action.

Yes Minister, The Civil Service on Helping Foreign Nations.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Its just our demented President who needs to have a Public Health Crisis made Top Secret. I mean its just a hoax, he said. Do you think he was lying to us?

I did like Pense yesterday at his news conference. But they all need to praise DT. Its as if they need to kiss his ring as in the Godfather. All that praise is a symbol of the adoration that Trumps wants.

Even with top secret meetings they couldn't get it right. How could you think you wouldn't need tests to diagnose the virus.? Who tested the tests? They could've gotten them from WHO as did Europe. Then, you could only send the tests to CDC for analysis.

I hope most people get a mild reaction to the virus and other that are at high risk must stay isolated at home. It will get much worse, but most people will not die from it. Minimize personal contacts if you can.

Annette

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope most people get a mild reaction to the virus and other that are at high risk must stay isolated at home. It will get much worse, but most people will not die from it. Minimize personal contacts if you can.

Same to you Annette! and thank you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been discussing this topic in the main coronavirus thread.

The government should have used the WHO organization tests and tested immediately. By waiting it gave government no chance of knowing who had it so it could be contained. Blame the inept science-averse Trump administration.

Link...https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/coronavirus-testing-delays.html

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Difficult times ahead.
Just listening to TV as WHO declares it as a pandemic.
DH is working from home for the next week (they are trialling their business contingency plan before working from home becomes compulsory) DD has just headed off to Uni but we suspect that classes might be discontinued if we have to go into an isolation period.
My thoughts, any compulsory isolation will be difficult to enforce. People don’t like being told what to do. We’ve already had people diagnosed with the virus who have stopped off at the supermarket for supplies, worked a few extra shifts in the hospitality industry, so yeah.
How does it work if childcare and schools close down but your job means you still need to work. Who minds your kids?
How does it work if you’re a carer for an elderly relative ie you help them shop, take them to medical appointments etc and you’re supposed to not leave the house?
What happens if you can’t work and therefore don’t get paid, how do you pay for food, pay rent, pay bills?
And most scary, how does it work if you or a family member is ill and needs medical support but the hospital beds are all full, no more drugs are available to buy?
That’s when the sh** hits the fan.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting the link @jaaron .

Does Trump really believe not being transparent will help him? His whole “nothing to see here “ game isn’t going to work this time. This isn’t a partisan issue.

Jared Kushner is now advising the president on the pandemic. WTH!!! Is this supposed to reassure the american people?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

... Because, y'know, Coronavirus disambiguates on citizenship and nationality.

mrgrtt123

Rough_Rock
I don't rely on my safety with the government as I feel like they are only making the situation worst.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The federal government has made this a total mess. Donald Trump thought he could wing it and politicize this issue like he does everything else. I still don’t think he’s realized how serious this issue is.
Really?? . remember when he first closed the gate on China in late Jan?? and the left called him a racist. ..:wall:

Yes, politicized, by the Dems!..:rolleyes:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Biden’s campaign strategists should seize on the slogan “Make America Well Again!”
Yup, First by finding a cure for his Alzheimer's disease.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fyi @Dancing Fire - Trump did not "close the gate on China" at the end of January, nor has he since then. Section 2 of his January 31 proclamation lays out the exceptions -- primarily, immediate family members of US citizens and of permanent residents, but there are others as well:

Air China and other Asian carriers have continued to fly between China & the US.

Although I assume some who are far away from you on the socio-political spectrum denounced that proclamation, even Rep. Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez didn't send off a tweet about it.

When the executive editor of the Washington Examiner -- which is a far cry from a leftist publication -- pens an op-ed bearing the title, Coronavirus is exposing Trump's inability to handle a crisis, you can't lay that at the feet of "the left."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven’t been online much the last week or so due to work, but I am really confused by a lot of the posts here. What exactly (not ‘politically’) are Americans still puzzled, clueless, in the dark, uninformed about related to this virus?

Just about everything we can possibly want/need to know/do is clearly & plainly spelled out for all to read on Coronavirus.gov ... how to protect yourself, symptoms, testing info, travel-related considerations/measures, reported # of cases & where, links to state websites for more localized information. Additionally, our Federal government - including respected medical professionals - has been/is conducting a daily briefing for the last week or so from a national level about steps they have/are taking to contain the virus and prevent further cases from coming into the country, support for states, test availability updates, minimizing the financial burden on families and businesses, because following up this virus with an economic downfall helps no one. At this very moment, VP Pence is speaking to media and answering questions. States also have a responsibility to do the same & largely are doing so on a local level, and many have websites set up with that information. Businesses/employers are also taking measures to protect employees & provide information. And if all that fails, call your PCM and ask; even our family doctor practice has a website set up with information available.

With all these resources at our fingertips, what specific virus-related info people are still lacking or confused about? :confused:

Ultimately, we all have a responsibility to educate ourselves on facts (not politically-motivated fear-mongering perpetrated by media/social media), use common sense, and follow the directives from your medical and local government officials to help prevent spread. What we should not be doing is contributing to unnecessary fear and panic by portraying the sky as falling when - in reality - it is not. People need to remember that no government or medical professional is going to get everything right 100% the first time; these are human beings - at all levels - who are largely trying to do the best right thing for their citizens & patients as quickly as possible. And what is ‘best/right’ for one country or community isn’t necessarily the same for another.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy - I know your heart’s in the right place and that you generally aim to do the right thing. But this is a PERFECT example of the media fear-mongering, politicizing and spreading mis-information ... a.k.a. the ‘fake news’. And people buying into it who don’t critically assess what they are reading (if they bother to make it past the headline).

The very first ‘fact check’ on their list:
February 10: Trump says without evidence that the coronavirus "dies with the hotter weather"

Trump said on Fox Business: "You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather." He told state governors: "You know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat -- as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April." And he said at a campaign rally: "Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away. I hope that's true."

Nowhere in what CNN quotes him there does he say “in fact”, “evidence shows”, “it’s been proven” nor any other verbiage to suggest he is portraying it as ‘fact’. He CLEARLY presents his words as ‘theory’, ‘opinion’, a ’possibility’, etc., and NOT ’fact’.

I read no further into the article you posted/linked because - frankly - such glaring politicization and ongoing hatred of our President in the midst of a serious health issue facing the globe is no time for CNN’s typical, ongoing, biased nonsense.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - I know your heart’s in the right place and that you generally aim to do the right thing. But this is a PERFECT example of the media fear-mongering, politicizing and spreading mis-information ... a.k.a. the ‘fake news’. And people buying into it who don’t critically assess what they are reading (if they bother to make it past the headline).

The very first ‘fact check’ on their list:

Nowhere in what CNN quotes him there does he say “in fact”, “evidence shows”, “it’s been proven” nor any other verbiage to suggest he is portraying it as ‘fact’. He CLEARLY presents his words as ‘theory’, ‘opinion’, a ’possibility’, etc., and NOT ’fact’.

I read no further into the article you posted/linked because - frankly - such glaring politicization and ongoing hatred of our President in the midst of a serious health issue facing the globe is no time for CNN’s typical, ongoing, biased nonsense.

Why do you not expect the President to speak in facts?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@the_mother_thing I drew no conclusions. Just sharing the link and everyone can make their own minds up. I do think Trump has not handled this as well as he could have and it has little to do with us being human and much to do with his arrogance and narcissistic behavior. JMO. He does not always speak factually and is not always transparent.

Here is a more conservative publication re Trump and his handling of the Coronavirus pandemic.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you not expect the President to speak in facts?

I don’t expect to infer 100% of what comes out of anyone’s mouth 100% of the time as 100% fact. Sometimes, people do this crazy thing sometimes referred to as “opining”, “casually conversing” ... it’s no different than a ‘news’ source that presents some articles as “hard news/facts” and others as “editorials” (opinion pieces). It’s incumbent on those digesting the source to think critically and have the mental fortitude to decipher the difference.

If you choose to infer 100% of what comes out of everyone’s mouth 100% of the time as 100% fact, you’re likely to be disappointed darn near the same rate.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a time of crisis (and I really think everyone should read the Atlantic article from yesterday to understand the risk), I do expect 100 percent reliable facts knowable at the time from the president. Settling for less is what’s permitted so many people to accept this presidency for what it is. To me, the president’s actions thus far are immoral.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone question why one cannot fly out of many EU countries to the States, but can drive or take the train to England and fly out from there?
Am I missing something here or is there a lack of logic at the top.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone question why one cannot fly out of many EU countries to the States, but can drive or take the train to England and fly out from there?

Nah, I don't think you're missing anything @Jimmianne. Makes just as much sense as many of you know who's policies and stuff. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do expect 100 percent reliable facts knowable at the time from the president. Settling for less is what’s permitted so many people to accept this presidency for what it is

Yes, I agree.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This, from Reuters. They are usually a good solid drama-free source.

And the article about travelers rushing to CDG to get out the country conveys the stress placed both Americans here and the airlines’ scramble to accommodate the coming ban. Surely there was a way to do this without creating this level of panic.
I thank the powers that be that I didn’t have to be in that situation and hope everyone stays safe.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock

You couldn‘t, unless you take the train, let‘s say from France, stay in UK for two weeks and only then board and fly to the US...

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
:wall: The differing approaches to this are mindboggling. The Republic of Ireland have just announced some significant social distancing and school closures.

The UK is looking at this stage to be relying on the virus passing through the population to create 'herd immunity', although this is continued at and a statement will be made later after the Cobra meeting. Trump is imposing travel restrictions but not from the UK.

WHO is critical of countries who have not after 'quick enough'. There are some really polarised views playing out! No wonder people are confused!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can Americans fly to Europe and then back again?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You couldn‘t, unless you take the train, let‘s say from France, stay in UK for two weeks and only then board and fly to the US...

Not sure I understand. If I drive to Heathrow today, will they put me in quarantine for two weeks?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results