shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your jewelry alteration plans? (repairs, sizing, upgrades, setting or other changes)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else have a bunch of assorted jewelry jobs they haven't gotten around to? I do, so I'm starting this thread to help organize my plans. I'll post pics soon.

I want to:

1- Get better side diamonds on my shield ring.

2- Get larger end prongs on my e-ring and have it re-sized (smaller).

3- Have my gold bracelet/s engraved, if possible.

4- Swap settings on two pairs of pearl earrings.

5- Get another pair of pearls switched from earring charms to stud settings.

6- Have my new drop pearl earrings re-set in white gold and diamond settings.

7- Have my new white metallic pearl strand restrung on PowerPro and a mystery clasp, so hopefully I don't have to bother with restringing anymore (and so I won't have to bother with my jewelry metals matching or not, since it won't have any).

8- Have several other pearl strands restrung on PowerPro and mystery clasps for same reasons as above.

9- Possibly have yellow gold/light pink CZ ring re-done, prongs dipped in white metal and stones upgraded.

There's probably more too...

Anyone else? Gems to be set count. Pics are, as always, most welcome. :)

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can play!

CSs to set, still to decide on the priority, however, I have some ideas already.

One ring to re-set, the natural blue Asscher cut Topaz, which will free up a pair of step-cut traps as I am only having a 3-stone and not a 5-stone.

A pair of 6.5mm OEC Moissy to set as interchangeable earring drops for my tiny huggies.

Loads of loose pearls that I want to make into wearable jewellery like rings, pendants or brooches.

I already have a few items currently being made that were not made in time before 2020 ended. Hopefully they will be with me soon! Mostly the lesser CSs including a couple of lab CSs and Moissy, and 2 rings for re-sizing.

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have a few in at the moment and a couple more to follow.
No 1 is the setting of the sapphire into the ring mount. I ummed and ahhhed for so long. The main problem was deciding to split the pair of sapphires or not. Problem was solved by buying another sapphire ring to harvest that sapphire. A white sapphire is destined for that setting if it fits.
No 2 is converting an iolite bar brooch into a necklace by using a 16 inch gold chain I couldn’t wear anymore. The brooch will give it the extra length I need.
no 3 is removing the “flower and sapphire” from a ring so I can wear it as a pendant.
should be ready in the new week or so.
plently of pics to follow ha ha.
DC822D49-82DA-4C10-8B48-D957E9FE7C41.jpeg F18616D3-CAF2-4AB1-B2F3-46BB31697F7E.jpeg

Attachments

• 903DA5E5-2D54-4F21-BB8B-BD8ABC26E992.jpeg
    903DA5E5-2D54-4F21-BB8B-BD8ABC26E992.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 14

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't have my new metallic whites handy but I think I'll also start with these four for mystery clasps/powerpro since they're ones I know for sure I want to keep. They are: large white freshies(11-13?), round-ish Tahitians (10-12mm) and more casual ringed Tahitians (10-12mm), and lavender freshies (8mm).

I ordered the white metallics as an upgrade for the white freshwater strand since they're rounder, whiter and metallic. But I changed my mind because the current strand is quite a bit larger (up to 13mm, I think, and the white metallics (not shown) are 10-11mm). And that is how I end up with way too many lol.

janpearlstrands.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry these pics aren't better. I have three gold bangle bracelets that I don't wear so I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I thought I'd see about getting this one engraved but not sure I can. It feels light and cost less than I thought it should have for gold so I guess it's hollow. I don't know if a hollow bracelet could be engraved or if the cost would be too high to be worth it. Does anyone know?

janrings.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These pink freshwater pearls are about 8-9mm, I'd guess. I had them put on these little chains as charms or jackets or whatever you'd call it but I don't wear them. I think I'd wear them as studs, though.

janpearlcharms.jpg

That's a shame as they are very pretty!

I wire-wrapped a pair of pink pearls as interchangeable dangles for my tiny diamond huggies, and they come out in the warmer months when I switch wardrobe to the colourful Jamsworld Hawaiian shirts with flat collars.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I've posted about the tiny end-prongs on this ring before (2.75 carats, K, don't remember the clarity grade right now but I think it's VS). I want those pointy ends protected well so I think I'll just get larger, sturdier end prongs. I need to get it re-sized anyway because it's too loose on my finger so may as well.

jandia1.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've posted about the tiny end-prongs on this ring before (2.75 carats, K, don't remember the clarity grade right now but I think it's VS). I want those pointy ends protected well so I think I'll just get larger, sturdier end prongs. I need to get it re-sized anyway because it's too loose on my finger so may as well.

jandia1.jpg

Ooo, just a thought, I am not a fan of Marquise until I saw this Aqua ring posted by a local jeweller on their FB page!

138537367_3895516277127837_5282437593168096543_o.jpg

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have a few in at the moment and a couple more to follow.
No 1 is the setting of the sapphire into the ring mount. I ummed and ahhhed for so long. The main problem was deciding to split the pair of sapphires or not. Problem was solved by buying another sapphire ring to harvest that sapphire. A white sapphire is destined for that setting if it fits.
No 2 is converting an iolite bar brooch into a necklace by using a 16 inch gold chain I couldn’t wear anymore. The brooch will give it the extra length I need.
no 3 is removing the “flower and sapphire” from a ring so I can wear it as a pendant.
should be ready in the new week or so.
plently of pics to follow ha ha.
DC822D49-82DA-4C10-8B48-D957E9FE7C41.jpeg F18616D3-CAF2-4AB1-B2F3-46BB31697F7E.jpeg

Ooooh look at those lovely sapphires :)

I actually remember contacting you about that bottom one months ago, but I guess you decided to keep it :) Anyway, I think that ring design will be better as a pendant -- less likely to catch on things. As a ring it seems rather unwieldy!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry again for the photo quality. I did finally get a new camera but now I have to take it out of the box haha.

I've had this shield ring for years and wear it a lot but I don't care for the "side" diamonds. They were originally a pair of not-too-great diamond earrings that I had put on because I thought the ring was too bare with only the one diamond in the center. I was told a long time ago by a jeweler that they couldn't replace them without ruining the ring but that was only one opinion so who knows. I would like to have those "earring tops" taken off and replaced with nicer diamonds. Maybe also a larger center diamond. Thoughts?

janshield.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a list as long as my arm just waiting for (my) employment status to change

First up i want to get my broken strand of dyed blue FW pearls restrung - they are $30 pearls but i miss them and i thought they would be a good starter project to test out the lady ive found as i have a ton of restringing to do, (not just pearls)
Then i need to buy a mixed strand from PP to use to extend my mum's pearls and others

merge two dyed wired pearl necklases into one - my lady ive found does silver solidering

Get about 6-8 rings resized

Keep working on my whitby jet project (×2)
Im still looking for the right stones to complement the jet and lengthen the strand - want to change the findings from mystery cheap yuck??? to silver - going to buy some Swarovski crystal pearls to play around with the sizes i want first. If i win lotto im going with Taiwanese gem silica :kiss2: but will probably go with strawberry quartz if i can get big enough beads (have only found up to 14mm) . The jet is graduated. @MakingTheGrade is my inspiration

Disassemble my cherry amber and make it into one descent length necklase - the earings are just butt ugly and the bracelet has cheap looking gross findings and the necklase has horrible little garnet spacer beads - it was originally one long necklase but the lady i brought it off halved it and made in into two ugly sets :angryfire:

Lengthen a garnet chocker so it actually does up !
Lengthen my honey coloured amber necklase - not sure what with yet - probably just fascated amber

Get my baby 'Nicola' brooch made into one of those bar name necklases ...hoping jewler can change name to Nicky - not sure how they 'rub out' engraving ?

Hmmmm need to find local bench

I have some daisy braclete charms i brought to insert into a string of pearls i specially brought for it - probably overpaid for not great pearls down the mall - ive lost a spacer and the mall jewler droped the entire range ( similar to Pandora) - now i not only need a spacer but i want more daisies - that might require some time on trade me (NZ eBay) - of course that strand is presently a bit tight too

Not technically jewlery;)2 but i have a '70's belt that is made of leather strips with intermittent wooden beads and 4 of these metal 'things' that are crying out for turquoise cabs, the belt is hanging on the back of Bruce room door so i don't loose it, i'll settle for dyed tourquoise for that

and i want to make a rose quartz mobile :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have my new metallic whites handy but I think I'll also start with these four for mystery clasps/powerpro since they're ones I know for sure I want to keep. They are: large white freshies(11-13?), round-ish Tahitians (10-12mm) and more casual ringed Tahitians (10-12mm), and lavender freshies (8mm).

I ordered the white metallics as an upgrade for the white freshwater strand since they're rounder, whiter and metallic. But I changed my mind because the current strand is quite a bit larger (up to 13mm, I think, and the white metallics (not shown) are 10-11mm). And that is how I end up with way too many lol.

janpearlstrands.jpg

Can you really have too many ? :lol:
They are mearly the beginning of your next project =)2

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! Lol I need to have a couple of busted necklace chains repaired. And eventually my 3 stone needs some surgery to fix the wonkiness of the basket and where the side stones attach. Whomever built it originally did a terrrrible job. But I have to wait until we replace our hot water heater and fix one of the fans first. So it will be awhile. QQ.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and .....
There is always more isnt there :lol:
My art deco inspired bezel ring - i love the setting - with the ugly blue black saphires i need to get punched out and replaced with anything that isnt bkack !

And then i want to get a pair of dad's cufkinks made into a silver brackete

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh look at those lovely sapphires :)

I actually remember contacting you about that bottom one months ago, but I guess you decided to keep it :) Anyway, I think that ring design will be better as a pendant -- less likely to catch on things. As a ring it seems rather unwieldy!

The PSer who was interested in the sapphire flower ring decided seeing as it wasn’t certified she’d pass, which is understandable. As a ring it didn’t fit me and the cost of resizing not worth the $$ so taking it off the ring to wear as a pendant seemed like the best and most cost effective solution. I’m just going to “thread” a chain through the top scrolls.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The PSer who was interested in the sapphire flower ring decided seeing as it wasn’t certified she’d pass, which is understandable. As a ring it didn’t fit me and the cost of resizing not worth the $$ so taking it off the ring to wear as a pendant seemed like the best and most cost effective solution. I’m just going to “thread” a chain through the top scrolls.

Lurve your beautiful sapphires and also that ballerina setting. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! Lol I need to have a couple of busted necklace chains repaired. And eventually my 3 stone needs some surgery to fix the wonkiness of the basket and where the side stones attach. Whomever built it originally did a terrrrible job. But I have to wait until we replace our hot water heater and fix one of the fans first. So it will be awhile. QQ.

Dang the hot water :(2

The first thing i really need to do when im working again is get this freezing cold/ boiling hot house insulated, preferably before the winter

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry these pics aren't better. I have three gold bangle bracelets that I don't wear so I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I thought I'd see about getting this one engraved but not sure I can. It feels light and cost less than I thought it should have for gold so I guess it's hollow. I don't know if a hollow bracelet could be engraved or if the cost would be too high to be worth it. Does anyone know?

janrings.jpg

I don’t think engraving it will be cost effective / feasible. If the bangle is of hollow construction, it would have to be very light engraving, which would the probably “rub thin” over time as you wear it. Plus the cost of hand engraving would be $$$.
unless it’s a heirloom piece, I’d sell it and put the money towards an engraved bangle you love. Gold is high now so good time to sell.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure about this one. I believe it's only 10k gold so the renovations I'd want to do would probably cost more than it's worth.

It would need to be re-sized, first.

Then I'd want to have the halo prongs dipped in white gold or whatever because I don't care for the look of the yellow gold prongs on the clear halo stones.

And the halo stones are "Fabulite" which is soft so if I'm bothering with the rest of it, I'd get those switched to something more durable.

Finally, the current center stone (a light pink CZ) is not a detailed cut so I might want a different stone there too.

On one hand, maybe that would all be too much expense for what it is. But on the other hand, I do like the setting and already have it so IDK. Thoughts?

janpink.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds - You have a Bruce room? (If so, pics please!)
Thank you for the enthusiasm
It made me feel better =)2

Sigh
That's also on the to do list :(2

unfortunately its now after the insulation

When we house hunted my only stipulations were a safe street and garden for Borris and a 4th bedroom for a Bruce room

Right now its still full of moving boxes and books (Bruce needs a bookcase) :(2

But i brought a big old art deco cabinet thing to make into a drinks cabinet and i have the fabric and linnings for the drapes

im going for a tastfull red, white and blue, with rimu (a native red pine that is a burnt honey colour) I have my eye on a red and chrome sofa bed - the rest of the house is going to have antique bronze coloured door and window fittings but the Bruce room will be chrome.
We have one descent original rimu door in the house that hasn't been abused beyond repair by the last occupants - its on the linnen cupboard, im moving it to the Bruce room wardrobe (where the records live)
I have a tonn of stuff to be framed, im trying to do it not like a teenage fan's bedroom

although it also has to be a spair bedroom if so needed

Right now it has the stars and stripes draped over the door - so no one forgets its main purpose ! :mrgreen2:

Just to stay on topic :lol: i want a nice gemstone rosary to hang in there as Bruce is big on Catholic imagery

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think engraving it will be cost effective / feasible. If the bangle is of hollow construction, it would have to be very light engraving, which would the probably “rub thin” over time as you wear it. Plus the cost of hand engraving would be $$$.
unless it’s a heirloom piece, I’d sell it and put the money towards an engraved bangle you love. Gold is high now so good time to sell.

I don't know anything about engraving so much appreciated. I collected three gold bangles a few years ago thinking they'd look good together but then just didn't really care for it. Good ideas, thank you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure about this one. I believe it's only 10k gold so the renovations I'd want to do would probably cost more than it's worth.

It would need to be re-sized, first.

Then I'd want to have the halo prongs dipped in white gold or whatever because I don't care for the look of the yellow gold prongs on the clear halo stones.

And the halo stones are "Fabulite" which is soft so if I'm bothering with the rest of it, I'd get those switched to something more durable.

Finally, the current center stone (a light pink CZ) is not a detailed cut so I might want a different stone there too.

On one hand, maybe that would all be too much expense for what it is. But on the other hand, I do like the setting and already have it so IDK. Thoughts?

janpink.jpg

If you love the setting isnt that already half the battle won !

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the enthusiasm
It made me feel better =)2

Sigh
That's also on the to do list :(2

unfortunately its now after the insulation

When we house hunted my only stipulations were a safe street and garden for Borris and a 4th bedroom for a Bruce room

Right now its still full of moving boxes and books (Bruce needs a bookcase) :(2

But i brought a big old art deco cabinet thing to make into a drinks cabinet and i have the fabric and linnings for the drapes

im going for a tastfull red, white and blue, with rimu (a native red pine that is a burnt honey colour) I have my eye on a red and chrome sofa bed - the rest of the house is going to have antique bronze coloured door and window fittings but the Bruce room will be chrome.
We have one descent original rimu door in the house that hasn't been abused beyond repair by the last occupants - its on the linnen cupboard, im moving it to the Bruce room wardrobe (where the records live)
I have a tonn of stuff to be framed, im trying to do it not like a teenage fan's bedroom

although it also has to be a spair bedroom if so needed

Right now it has the stars and stripes draped over the door - so no one forgets its main purpose ! :mrgreen2:

Just to stay on topic :lol: i want a nice gemstone rosary to hang in there as Bruce is big on Catholic imagery

Cool! Bruce definitely deserves his own room. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results