shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your favorite sounds?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the sound of doves, sparrows and robins in my yard. The deep breathing of my horse as I lay my head against his neck. Ocean waves always.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
after Bruce ....

Birds
Especially the birds waking up and going to bed - all that gossip!
One of my favourite things about Wellington was walking home toward the railway station down Lampton Quey at dusk with all the starlings in the street trees

the sea on a frosty morning

The sea gently lapping a gravel beach

far away the sound of a lawn mower on a warm balmy night on the way home from work (because that's summer)

The sound of a kitty purring his/ her love

The sound of a formula one race

the sound of some V8s (not driven like idiots, just working) - our Jeep was a straight 6 and she sounded beautiful

Harmonica played by just about anyone

Rachmaninoff

The sound of willow on leather (cricket) another sound of summer - i grew up with a cricket ground at the end of my street

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the sound of doves, sparrows and robins in my yard. The deep breathing of my horse as I lay my head against his neck. Ocean waves always.

Oh :kiss2: on early morning on a Saturday i had caught the first train into Wellington for work
The place was deserted
It has the most amazing acoustics
The doves koos were echoing inside the station.
It sounded like how i imangine angels singing must sound in heaven

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the sound of the ocean…rain on the roof…and sleet hitting the windows during a winter storm..

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Hmm fav sounds...

Ocean waves
Train whistle (Hear it every evening from the bedroom)
My cat 'talking' to me
the rustle of cellophane
Blues
Crows cawing in the fall
English Robin song

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the sound of the ocean…rain on the roof…and sleet hitting the windows during a winter storm..

Oh i forgot rain on the roof :lol:
I love that
When we insulate the roof we will loose that - which will make Borris happy because she just hates it :(2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sound of the snow
But when its deathly quiet and you just know if you look out the window into the darkness it will be snowing
Does that count ? :lol-2:
Where i grew up by the sea it only snowed in our suburb every few years so it was a big deal

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh i forgot rain on the roof :lol:
I love that
When we insulate the roof we will loose that - which will make Borris happy because she just hates it :(2

Our house in Maryland was built in 1904. During that time when a new baby was coming and there was no more room for the baby..they bumped out another room. One of those bumpouts is metal. I love that sound. It just puts me to sleep.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our house in Maryland was built in 1904. During that time when a new baby was coming and there was no more room for the baby..they bumped out another room. One of those bumpouts is metal. I love that sound. It just puts me to sleep.

When we were house hunting we looked at lots of Californian bungalows mostly built just before and then after WW1
i love them because i grew up in one
Gary hates them because as a builder he hates fixing up old stuff and he grew up in a brand new mid century house
it amazed us how the additions could go on and on and on - lean to after lean too :lol: (our family home wasn't like that)
But my sister remarked back in those days if you had more kids and needed more room one didn't move - you just added on another room out the back

where we live now has lots of houses from the turn to the middle of the 20th Century
I often look at some of the older ones and wonder if they even had indoor plumbing when they were new

Love a corrugated iron roof :kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we were house hunting we looked at lots of Californian bungalows mostly built just before and then after WW1
i love them because i grew up in one
Gary hates them because as a builder he hates fixing up old stuff and he grew up in a brand new mid century house
it amazed us how the additions could go on and on and on - lean to after lean too :lol: (our family home wasn't like that)
But my sister remarked back in those days if you had more kids and needed more room one didn't move - you just added on another room out the back

where we live now has lots of houses from the turn to the middle of the 20th Century
I often look at some of the older ones and wonder if they even had indoor plumbing when they were new

Love a corrugated iron roof :kiss2:

We have a new roof with modern materials..but we also have a metal roof..and a tar roof..My laundry room on the second floor was once a child’s room.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Owls at night
Harp music
Steel band music.....so tropical:kiss2:
My horses whicker
Sound of horses trotting on tarmac
Bird song
The sounds of a jungle
Frogs
Crickets

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The morepork (NZ native owl) kind of freeks me out at night

i like the sound of a train at night - like from a few blocks away

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My teens playing their respective instruments (piano and drums)
My kids and chatting and laughing with us as a family

Both make me feel that I did SOMETHING right, and my kids will be okay....

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That very very very faint cute snoring only babies and toddlers can do. So cute and Yiu know everything is OK

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
This has changed over my lifetime. I’ve been hearing impaired half my life now. So some sounds currently I used to enjoy, are slightly irritating to me now with getting a very high end nice hearing aid last year lol.

I adapted, and still enjoy sounds I can feel. Trains. Ocean. Cats purring. Muscle cars (not driven by idiots).

Wind chimes
Violin
Rain
The owl that lives in my backyard. Her babies in late spring drive me crazy though.

But the sounds of my feet walking? Pass. Or birds all day long (I really should be happy to hear birds, but they are annoying!)

A really really good movie if you are so inclined. “The Sound of Metal”. I believe it’s in Amazon Prime. Musician loses his hearing. I’d say it’s safe to watch around kids, does touch on drugs and alcohol, but in the main character’s past. It might open your eyes to sound.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds a bit corny, but my kids laughing. They're still little (8 and 5) so their giggles are babyish and so, so infectious. My 5yo daughter is tiny, but has the most raucous belly laugh. Makes me happy on my worst days.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
My child saying “Mumma...”
Children laughing.
Rain on a tin roof.
Crickets after rain.
Pop corn popping
Crinkling of clean sheets.
Ice clinking in glasses.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oceans and rain/storm sounds. Rain is fairly rare where I live now, especially so this past year. We’re talking about building a home in the mountains one of these days. Weather-wise, I’d been focusing on the pluses and minuses of severe weather/snow related issues, but this thread reminds me that living in the mountains would also be more and thunderstorms!

The sound of a plane taking off and - especially - landing. My husband’s voice as he announces his plane /tail number when we’re flying.

I’ve without a cat for about four years now, and I miss purring and many other cat-related sounds.

the sound of bicycle tires on the gravel as my sweetie returns from a ride or errand.

Missy - I have a tendency to focus on the negative, and I fell asleep and woke up focused on some house-related challenges facing me today. Thank you for the prompt to consciously think about something positive for a while!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to all the ones already listed, I love the soft single bark dogs make when they're curious about something in the distance but not terribly worried about it.

woof
(hey what's that)

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
The voices of the people I love, particularly my husband and parents.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter giggling when she was little, and singing as an adult. My mom and dad's voices. Ocean waves, wind, rain, lightning, thunder, sleet, and the crackle of wood in the fireplace. Oh, and my husband saying "sure, you can upgrade".

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The pop of a Champagne cork
Very old church/cathedral bells -- the kind in small towns in Europe
The sound of an orchestra tuning up before a classical concert
Big fat raindrops
The happy murmur of voices in a nice restaurant
A French waitperson saying "Voilà" when they place a lovely plate of food in front of you.
Ocean waves (I know, everyone says this, but it's true!)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Food sizzling in a saute pan
Pop corn in the air popper
My cat running around the house
Wind in the trees
Birds chirping in the backyard
Crickets
The ice cream truck passing by
Thunder

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A hard rain on the skylights. The hum of the hummingbirds when they fly close. The little sounds my dog makes when he is dreaming.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
My mother’s voice, and my best friends voice…..wish I could hear them just one last time :cry2:

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Fog horns (from a distance)
The clink of rigging on a mast
Ocean waves
Birds chirping
Children laughing
My husband’s voice
Choir singing

So many! @missy Thank you for starting this post - it’s a wonderful thought provoking moment at just the right time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results