shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To those of you who seem familiar with Jade/jadeite (since there are lots of awesome pics in this thread), what do you think of this ring? It seems reasonably priced (under $250), and I really like it, but am completely unfamiliar with this material, so don't really know how to look at it with a critical eye. IMG_1178_compact.jpg IMG_1175_1024x1024.jpg IMG_1180_large.jpg

The ring like old lovely and the carving looks very pleasant. Did you ask the vendor if it's Type A or B?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs, it's great that you're looking at jadeite! A quick and fun warning that jade collecting can Rapidly turn into a raging passion lol!

As Seaglow pointed out, my main question would be whether it is grade A or B. Grade B means polymer impregnated to give more translucence and improve texture, but this drastically weakens the stone and drastically reduces its value. Therefore, it's much better to buy grade A, untreated. There is a grade C, which is color treated. A jade can be both grade B and C. I don't think the ring is grade C though.

The carving looks nice and it goes well with the type of jadeite. I would describe the jade as having a bluish green, with medium grain, and coarse texture. ( the texture refers to the distribution of color and spots of translucence. If it's homogeneous, and completely even, then the texture would be considered fine. ) it has nice proportions and the size and style go With the jade, which is important. The carving should be an extension of the soul of the jade by emphasizing the qualities of it. In this case, the pattern in the carving with many divots goes with the heavy texture, making the color stand out more as a backdrop to the carving. It's quite festive and active, which also goes with the activity in a jade with a more busy texture and color variations, i.e., green with white translucent grains in it.

In my opinion, all jade can have unique beauty, in the countless manifestations between the different qualities and properties, from inexpensive to expensive. It's a matter of finding untreated, and finding a piece which feels like it has a soul and speaks to you.

One more thing, in heavily carved pieces, they are carved to take out or hide 'flaws'. I actually hate the term flaws with jade because often they are just the birth marks of nature, such as a stone line, which is a fold in the crystal matrix. Jadeite is a much more complex gemstone than others, therefore valuation is not as straight forward as with other gems. ...anyway, they may have removed black spots in carving that ring, or just carved it to best suit the texture, but beware that there is always a reason why. These days, more opaque, colorless jades are machine carved in mass. The purpose is to create interest on jade that isn't as interesting naturally. Generally smoother pieces have a better chance of being stronger, in case there is a crack hidden. This applies more to bangles though. This should not deter you, but just make you aware. One of my favorite bangles is carved to hide stone lines and because it's watery jade, it's still easy to see why they carved it in this way. For me, it makes me love it more because the carvers thought about it and came up with a design which was a creation about the soul of the stone. This extends its beauty so that it hits that magic intersection between A treasure of nature, and truely inspired human expression. With the best hand carved jade, one is not only buying one of the earths rarest gems, but a TRUE work of art in one piece.

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On jadeite and like what Bluegemz said in an earlier post, the sellers (Chinese, Burmese, Asian) love to call every stone jade.

Case in point this cup I bought yesterday. Every store tells you they are jade. It certainly isn't because it's a soft water stone. Or albite, agate, etc. Most are also way lighter than type A and B jadeite. You have to know the price and have 1 in mind before committing and negotiating to that or close to. Paid less than US$2 for this because I love colours and patterns. Shops will ask from us$3 to 10 for one in Yangon to begin with. 20170909_195435.jpg 20170909_195425.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few more I collected, mostly bought from stalls. Except the front 2 that were from a passing wholesale trader from out of town (usually ladies).

Guess which ones are real jadeite cups?

Only the 2 in front in a light lavender with cracks. I bought in a lot with a bowl and stuff but only these 2 were jadeite. 20170910_200938.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On jadeite and like what Bluegemz said in an earlier post, the sellers (Chinese, Burmese, Asian) love to call every stone jade.

Case in point this cup I bought yesterday. Every store tells you they are jade. It certainly isn't because it's a soft water stone. Or albite, agate, etc. Most are also way lighter than type A and B jadeite. You have to know the price and have 1 in mind before committing and negotiating to that or close to. Paid less than US$2 for this because I love colours and patterns. Shops will ask from us$3 to 10 for one in Yangon to begin with. 20170909_195435.jpg 20170909_195425.jpg
Yes! So true...any stone can be called 'jade' which has become synonymous with valuable stone. Jadeite is the word one should look for. Burmezedaze, I LOVE it! Beautiful! I bought 2 dark, hardstone bowls about that size that were listed as nephrite jade. They are probably serpentine but I don't mind because they are so beautiful! I think you got a great deal...I paid $30 for the 2. I must have overpaid, but again, off shore markups...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few more I collected, mostly bought from stalls. Except the front 2 that were from a passing wholesale trader from out of town (usually ladies).

Guess which ones are real jadeite cups?

Only the 2 in front in a light lavender with cracks. I bought in a lot with a bowl and stuff but only these 2 were jadeite. 20170910_200938.jpg
Those light lavender ones are so pretty! I see why you bought all of them. I'd love to collect these. Having them in varied stones makes the collection varied and beautiful. Is the white with yellow one chalcedony agate, Aka 'honey jade'? Whatever it is, it's gorgeous!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hehehe I have more, Bluegemz, hiding in the cupboard. Stopped buying for a while as they'd be a logistical nightmare to carry back. Too soft and may chip easily even with good wrapping (happened to 4 I brought back for my dad, 1 chipped). There are small simple stone goblets, chalices, cuff links, tiny trays, teapot sets, trays and such here aplenty. All different and unique.

$30 for 2 is ok, considering the transport costs across the sea (probably cost more than the item) and like you said, you love the the beauty of them and they are hard stones!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe I have more, Bluegemz, hiding in the cupboard. Stopped buying for a while as they'd be a logistical nightmare to carry back. Too soft and may chip easily even with good wrapping (happened to 4 I brought back for my dad, 1 chipped). There are small simple stone goblets, chalices, cuff links, tiny trays, teapot sets, trays and such here aplenty. All different and unique.

$30 for 2 is ok, considering the transport costs across the sea (probably cost more than the item) and like you said, you love the the beauty of them and they are hard stones!
Oh that's just the kind of thing that I love too! Tiny trays and tea pots and such...adorable.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curious question:

Do you ladies where matching coloured gold with your rings or anything goes?

The reason I ask is because I'd love a coloured stone ring made with rose gold but I don't own anything else RG so I wonder how I would match my jewellery.

I usually were all white or all yellow gold.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Curious question:

Do you ladies where matching coloured gold with your rings or anything goes?

The reason I ask is because I'd love a coloured stone ring made with rose gold but I don't own anything else RG so I wonder how I would match my jewellery.

I usually were all white or all yellow gold.

I match my rose gold rings with my watch, if I'm not wearing anything else in rose gold.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix and match. I mostly have yellow gold but also wear some platinum mixed in. I think it looks fine . I think one rose gold ring would look beautiful with white metal. Aside from that, the stone will probably be the first thing you notice .

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the office today....I'm wearing these carved aqua beads with little pearls. I was given this necklace for my 21st birthday, and I wore it when I graduated college and grad school. Now my eldest daughter really wants it, but I'm having a hard time parting with it. It really looks like a gentle stream of water flowing around the neck. Also wearing these pearl earrings with it. The lighting is very bad, but the pearls are bluish and the aquas are that beautiful water color in natural light. The look of this jewelry is the opposite of harsh because it has soft, gentle round forms and a glow from the stones and pearls. It's a very restful feeling. Happy Monday everyone!

IMG_4726.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG

Last edited:

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
BG, how sweet and stunning!

Today I am wearing my Great Grandmothers opal ring. Originally it was opal and pearls but the pearls feel out so I replaced them with white and pink diamonds. For those who say "don't wear opal" she managed to keep this in tact in a work camp, fleeing Italy, sailing to NYC and raising 5 children. And she never took it off for over 50 years.

opal with diamonds.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BG, how sweet and stunning!

Today I am wearing my Great Grandmothers opal ring. Originally it was opal and pearls but the pearls feel out so I replaced them with white and pink diamonds. For those who say "don't wear opal" she managed to keep this in tact in a work camp, fleeing Italy, sailing to NYC and raising 5 children. And she never took it off for over 50 years.

opal with diamonds.jpg
What a story! She must have been very coordinated with her hands. It's amazing that the opal survived. It's a beautiful ring Vesper!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
She was quite the lady. True story. When it was given to me it was only missing one pearl. The FIRST time I wore it it fell off my hand in a parking lot. I was crawling around under cars and finally found it, sans pearls. All I could think was "I can't loose her ring the first time I wear it! Lord, it has survived this much and hurricane Vesper comes in."

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wearing my emerald ring and star sapphire. One on each hand but combined them for the photo lol.
20170911_123758.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
More star sapphire photos!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree! We love that beautiful plump water droplet star. It's just perfect. Your emerald also is beautiful!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw thanks guys. Ill try to find my thread of my star sapphire. It's one of few rings ive never thought about selling. I tend to sell things to fund new projects. I don't so much buy jewelry as rent it :p

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had on my dark Mogok blues for a presentation today 20170912_013409-1.jpg 20170912_013358-1.jpg
What an amazing set you have put together! Actually, they are really impressive Burmesedaze. Those earrings are so big and beautiful...and that gorgeous cabochon ring! I can imagine how this looks when you wear them all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results