shape
carat
color
clarity

what are the top 5 most popular cuts?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 and 2 are easy,but what about 3-5 ?

1-RB
2-Princess
3-Asscher ?
4-Cushion ?
5-Emerald ? Radiant ? OEC ?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Its interesting that the traditional fancy shapes of pear, oval, heart, and marquise are not even close in your list Dancing Fire.

Do you think any of these are still in the running?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 3:50:47 PM
Author:Dancing Fire

1-RB
2-Princess
3-Asscher ?
4-Cushion ?
Add pear, marquise and oval to the list?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/4/2009 3:58:30 PM
Author: Lorelei

1-RB

2-Princess

3-Asscher ?

4-Cushion ?

LOL Lorelei good to see we are on the same page
28.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1-RB
2-Princess
3-Asscher ?
4-Cushion ?
i think these were more popular 25-30 yrs ago?
34.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 4:00:33 PM
Author: Diamond Explorer

1-RB

2-Princess

3-Asscher ?

4-Cushion ?

LOL Lorelei good to see we are on the same page
28.gif
Great minds and all that Jonathan!
9.gif
35.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely pear!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Round
Princess
Cushion
Emerald cut (including square emeralds)
Ovals and Pears

tommalle

Rough_Rock
I don''t have a lot of diamond knowledge but I do have an awful habit of looking at everyones E ring and/or wedding band. And when I say that I mean EVERYONE! More often than not I know what the ring looks like before I have made eye contact with the person. I love diamonds and I can''t ever look at enough. From my personal experience of ring spying rounds are definately worn by a majority of women. Princess cuts would have to come next followed by marquise and then cushion. It seems on pricescope cushions beat out marquise though. I have only seen 1 emerald cut on someone in real life, 3 pears, and no hearts.

tommalle

Rough_Rock
Oh and I have never seen any ovals until probably the last year or so. I''ve seen probably 3 or so.

tommalle

Rough_Rock
You know, I should have thought longer about my answer before I posted it. I keeping thinking of more to say. This question really interests me. I think Dancing fire has got it right. Most of the women I see wearing the marquise, oval, and pears tend to be older than I, maybe women in their 40''s or 50''s. I also think popularity is different when you compare pricescopers with people IRL. Round and princess take up the first spot by both groups but differs after that. There are, by far, more emerald cuts, cushions, and ashers here on ps. And as I have said before more marquise, oval and pears INL. I also see a decent amount of OECs in both places.

E B

Ideal_Rock
On Pricescope or in the 'real world'?
9.gif
Two different lists.

For the "RW" list: Definitely rounds and princesses. I see quite a few marquise-cut diamonds out on the street, so I'd put that cut in the top five. For the last two, pears and emeralds?

Pricescope's list might look something like...

1. Round
2. Cushion
3/4. Princess/Asscher- tie?
5. OEC/OMC

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 5:58:41 PM
Author: tommalle
You know, I should have thought longer about my answer before I posted it. I keeping thinking of more to say. This question really interests me. I think Dancing fire has got it right. Most of the women I see wearing the marquise, oval, and pears tend to be older than I, maybe women in their 40''s or 50''s. I also think popularity is different when you compare pricescopers with people IRL. Round and princess take up the first spot by both groups but differs after that. There are, by far, more emerald cuts, cushions, and ashers here on ps. And as I have said before more marquise, oval and pears INL. I also see a decent amount of OECs in both places.

Yeah isn''t that interesting how the lists are different. I think cushions in particular are way more common on ps than IRL. I''ve actually never seen a cushion IRL and hadn''t heard almost anything about them before this site and now I''m in love and I''m 95% sure that will be my center diamond on my e-ring.

I also agree that marquise would definitely be top 5 and maybe even pears too. I think all of us are too used to what we see on PS which doesn''t reflect the real world.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 5:58:41 PM
Author: tommalle
have i ever been wrong?
16.gif

anyname

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with Dancing Fire and tommalle. I think marquise wears tend to be older, and princesses, radiants, and cushions are becoming more popular. Though i think ovals are pretty much in the middle of the scale. So my list would be:

1. round
2. princess
3. radiant
4. cushion
5. emerald

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely # 1 is RB and # 2 is PC

On Pricescope I would say asschers, emerald cut and cushions are quite popular.

I personally like oval, pears and heart shape.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 6:13:15 PM
Author: EBree
On Pricescope or in the ''real world''?
9.gif
Two different lists.

For the ''RW'' list: Definitely rounds and princesses. I see quite a few marquise-cut diamonds out on the street, so I''d put that cut in the top five. For the last two, pears and emeralds?

Pricescope''s list might look something like...

1. Round
2. Cushion
3/4. Princess/Asscher- tie?
5. OEC/OMC
I agree with EBree.. that there should be a PS list and a real life list.. I have never seen anyone with an asscher e-ring outside of PS.... So my real-world list would be:
#1 Round
#2 Princess
#3 Emerald
#4 Radiant
#5 Cushion

I have seen more Pears and Ovals than Asschers in real life.... for a PS list, I would add Asschers, OEC, OMC, etc

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have never come across someone with an asscher either. Most people I know have a round, princess (like me) and an emerald. I have only seen a couple pears and ovals and they have not been newer ring, but like someone else said on women who are 40 and up. I actually think where you live places an influence as well just like any other fashion trend.

julia.marson

Rough_Rock

1-RB

2-Princess

3-Asscher ?

4-Cushion ?

3- Marquise
4- Pear
5- Emerald
6- Oval

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guess:

1 RB
2 princess
3 baguette
4 trillant/trillion
5 oval
6 EC
7 pear
8 SE
9 marquise
10: Radiant
11: cushion

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One important question..., for what purpose?

A) Center stone (main stone)
B) Accent stones (side stones)

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
And another important question:

Popular as in:

1) Bought now (in the last 12 months)
2) Out there (all diamonds set and currently being worn)?

MtnLiving

Rough_Rock
According to this site, here is the run down on popularity of shapes:

"By far the most asked-for shapes are round (which gives off the most sparkle) and square, which includes the princess cut (a basic square) and emerald cut (square or rectangular with beveled corners). Together these styles account for nearly 75 percent of diamond engagement ring sales per year.

The ship-shaped marquise (an oval that comes to a point at each end) follows with 13 percent, while 12 percent of rock buyers choose hearts, ovals and other less common shapes. "

http://www.instyleweddings.com/weddings/article/0,,20164024,00.html

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not really sure about a "list", but I would definitely say that #1 would be RB and #2 would be a Princess.
I have a pear (I am in my 30''s) and what drew me to it was the fact that it was not a common/popular shape. I wwanted something different that everyone else.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just saw the title of this thread and have not read it yet, but in my experience it is

1. Round
2. Princess
3. Anything else

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think Storm hit it the nail on the head.
If we ake into account all diamonds cut, including side diamonds, the list gets skewed- with baguette moving way up.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I thought this list is far simpler. From no.5 all the way to no.1 it is RBs. Esp. if you include the melee rounds for pave sets...
31.gif

Btw I''d probably not lend such articles that much weight unless I know how the statistics were derived at. Am I the only one who feels that the Princess cut is on the way down in terms of popularity?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 1:10:44 PM
Author: DiamondFlame
I thought this list is far simpler. From no.5 all the way to no.1 it is RBs. Esp. if you include the melee rounds for pave sets...
31.gif

Btw I''d probably not lend such articles that much weight unless I know how the statistics were derived at. Am I the only one who feels that the Princess cut is on the way down in terms of popularity?
still about 60/40 here for r/p for new er main stones.
Upgrades are more like 80/20 r/p

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2009 4:47:37 AM
Author: DiaGem
One important question..., for what purpose?

A) Center stone (main stone)
B) Accent stones (side stones)
yes, i meant the E-ring center stone.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Based on what I perceive to be the frequency that I see them -

Real World:
1) Round
2) Princess
3) Pear
4) Marquise
5) Cushion
6) Radiant
7) Emerald
8) Asscher
9) Oval

Pricescope:
1) Round
2) OEC/OMC
3) Asscher
4) Emerald
5) Cushion
6) Princess
7) Radiant
8) Oval
9) Marquise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results