carat
color
clarity

What are the signs of aging?

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The "dun lap" --his stomach done lapped over his belt! Lol

Similar to the “ dicky_do” disease. As a friend of mine once quipped..His belly sticks out further than his......

My tears about ran down my legs!

FM

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar to the “ dicky_do” disease. As a friend of mine once quipped..His belly sticks out further than his......

My tears about ran down my legs!

FM
What about when the belly sticks out further than the boobs? Is there a name for that?:eek2:

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Funny you should ask?..Booby-do disease! . I suffer from that these days.

Fm

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Teeth. Body shape. Neck. Hair style.
Those give it away for me. When I was young everyone who was past 60 looked old to me. I couldn't distinguish between 60's, 70's or 80's. But now that I have past the 60 mark I can see the differences. Certainly having a healthy body can shave off decades.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Teeth. Body shape. Neck. Hair style.
Those give it away for me. When I was young everyone who was past 60 looked old to me. I couldn't distinguish between 60's, 70's or 80's. But now that I have past the 60 mark I can see the differences. Certainly having a healthy body can shave off decades.

Yes, definitely. Late 40-50-early 60 used to look pretty much the same to me. But now I am finding it hard to distinguish between mid to late 20s and 30s.

I remember when someone died in their 70s my thought was, well yeah they were kinda old. Now I think, OMG that's still young!

Nala, you can come visit me if you want to see signs of aging in real time. :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A person can be young at heart yet old in physical appearance; or vice versa.
DK :))

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I simply don´t care about age, not in me or others. What I care about is attitude, a positive one and I for sure am a princess. I am not going to torture myself with anything though, I love living too much for that. I smoked a lot at one point, not that I would recommend it to anyone, of course not but due to genetics my teeth are icy white, never whitened, in fact I was told not to do it by dentists. My hair does not gray yet and I get no wrinkles, genes and always taking the best care of myself with skin care, etc. I do have a curvy body now which I love the way it is. Positive attitude. I have finally learnt to accept myself. In my partners I always looked for the same, who they are on the inside and how they take care of themselves. Otherwise beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I do not care if someone thinks my neck has a few lines or my hands. And if anyone I am as girly as it can get. I just love being me and I love people who feel the same way. None of us are perfect and I see many gorgeous women who are in their sixties. So I am not going to tell you that I look 15 years younger but that it is not what matters. The smile on your face leaves positive, young marks.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You read the obituaries every day to make sure your name is not in there.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunstorm, a wonderful post!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you dear friend.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me it’s the realisation that it doesn’t matter how much I spend on cosmetics I’m never going to look amazing. My saggy under eyes and chins put paid to all that :(2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it’s the realisation that it doesn’t matter how much I spend on cosmetics I’m never going to look amazing. My saggy under eyes and chins put paid to all that :(2

Yes but remember inner beauty is what makes us beautiful. Of that I know 100%. It’s amazing how quickly a superficially “pretty” person can become ugly when you realize they are ugly on the inside. So while I hear you and yes feel your pain I also know that true beauty comes from within and no aging process that takes it’s superficial toll can rob one of that.

You will always be beautiful Maisie. Always.

As will all the psers who are beautiful on the inside and you know who you are. :halo:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but remember inner beauty is what makes us beautiful. Of that I know 100%. It’s amazing how quickly a superficially “pretty” person can become ugly when you realize they are ugly on the inside. So while I hear you and yes feel your pain I also know that true beauty comes from within and no aging process that takes it’s superficial toll can rob one of that.

You will always be beautiful Maisie. Always.

As will all the psers who are beautiful on the inside and you know who you are. :halo:

Thank you for that. You are the sweetest person Missy. And you are truly beautiful inside and out. Especially your hair. Yes I have hair envy! We are all going to get old. We should go gracefully.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that. You are the sweetest person Missy. And you are truly beautiful inside and out. Especially your hair. Yes I have hair envy! We are all going to get old. We should go gracefully.

You are too kind Maisie. Believe me my hair is (one of) the bane of my existence. It’s very fine and moody and has a mind of its own. I can never know how it’s going to turn out. Plus now that I’m getting older I am losing more of it and it is getting gray and well let’s just say I put it back most days. But thank you sweetie.

And I’m with you. Aging gracefully because the alternative is fighting it and it’s a losing battle and ends up looking fake. I want to get old and gray because then I’ve lived a long and hopefully good life. I wish that for all of us. Getting old and remaining happy and healthy surrounded by our loved ones. (((Hugs))).

And remember those who truly love us always think we are beautiful because they know us and who we are.
Speaking of beautiful please give your sweet grandson a big hug from me.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are too kind Maisie. Believe me my hair is (one of) the bane of my existence. It’s very fine and moody and has a mind of its own. I can never know how it’s going to turn out. Plus now that I’m getting older I am losing more of it and it is getting gray and well let’s just say I put it back most days. But thank you sweetie.

And I’m with you. Aging gracefully because the alternative is fighting it and it’s a losing battle and ends up looking fake. I want to get old and gray because then I’ve lived a long and hopefully good life. I wish that for all of us. Getting old and remaining happy and healthy surrounded by our loved ones. (((Hugs))).

And remember those who truly love us always think we are beautiful because they know us and who we are.
Speaking of beautiful please give your sweet grandson a big hug from me.

I will the very next time I see him. My sister has hair like yours. While I lean towards frizz, she has curls. I was always jealous of her hair.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lol how funny I too have fine curly frizzy hair and I never know how it will turn out either. I used to wear it back like you Missy But I said enough, I will put in the effort to have it down. Too many people preferred it that way. In the summer it is easy to go with a bun though because I cannot tolerate my very dark hair down when it is hot.

Missy you truly are a beauty inside and out and Maisie remember that beauty does not equal perfection. You can still be gorgeous with puffy eyes or whatever. I suffer from them too and hate them But it does not make a person ugly. No one has everything perfect and if they do, it is boring IMHO. If you feel good in your own skin, you radiate beauty.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say I do feel more comfortable inside as I’m getting older. I’m happy with who I am. Only took till I’m nearly 50! :D

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unhappy with my hair. I'm on 2 chemo drugs for my arthritis, that also cause hair loss. I used to have such thick hair!;( It's making me depressed. I can't seem to find a style that works either. I barely even have enough hair at the front to do bangs (so a stylist told me rather bluntly). The bob I got 2 months ago was all wrong for me. I want bangs and shoulder length so I can at least put it up when I get my daily fevers. Stupid side effects.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyra have you looked into finding some wigs that work for you? My mom suffers from alopecia and has been wearing wigs for a few years now when she goes out. Before that she was reliant upon hats and hope. It took her a long time to find a good wig maker and I believe she orders them online. If you'd like I can ask her where she gets hers. She's very choosy and many things cause her so much irritation they just don't work. I'm sorry you're dealing with hair loss. My mom always had the thickest, black, beautiful long hair and it was a major source of her identity. To have gone all white around 55 was a major thing; to have started to lose her hair altogether was nearly devastating. Hugs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unhappy with my hair. I'm on 2 chemo drugs for my arthritis, that also cause hair loss. I used to have such thick hair!;( It's making me depressed. I can't seem to find a style that works either. I barely even have enough hair at the front to do bangs (so a stylist told me rather bluntly). The bob I got 2 months ago was all wrong for me. I want bangs and shoulder length so I can at least put it up when I get my daily fevers. Stupid side effects.

Lyra I am so sorry.

My mom lost all her hair in the early 90s after my grandmother died suddenly and it was a few years of her being pretty much all bald. She got a few expensive wigs that she would wear out but never in the house as it was just too warm for her. Fortunately her hair grew back.

However from my understanding these days the wigs are lighter and more comfortable and very natural looking. In fact in Brooklyn where I live there are a number of well known wig places (due to the orthodox Jewish women wearing wigs for modesty as part of their religious practice) that do beautiful natural looking wigs. I don't know where you are but if you don't have such places near you there are options.

Sending you healing vibes that your hair will regrow and sending you big (((HUGS))). And if the time comes you want to get a wig keep in mind that their are some beautiful options available. And if you need my help I am here and happy to do whatever I can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sunstorm awww thank you sweetheart and right back at ya! <3

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lyra,
Sending you loving thoughts. That must be really hard to deal with.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sorry to hear that Lyra. Hope you feel better soon and get your hair back. Up until a year ago I lost mine too due to several different dental abscesses that went undetected. It spanned over a period of a year and a half. I was about to cry for several reasons, one was my hair coming out in chunks everywhere, the bedding after one night looked like a very long hair black cat was sleeping on it for a year. When it stopped I gave it a bit of time, gradually cut a bit each month from my hair and finally decided to wear it down and style it again. I was so happy! Hope it never happens again but it does put things into perspective, you realize that health is worth much more than beauty. Not to say it did not disturb me a lot but the suffering was the worst.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, sorry to hear this lyra :blackeye: I hope it grows back and that in the meantime you can find a way to wear your hair that you do like. Hugs.

And maybe find a gentler stylist. :blackeye:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra and anyone else dealing with hair loss and hair thinning. I just received this in my inbox.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/women-pattern-hair-loss?ecd=wnl_skin_011018&ctr=wnl-skin-011018_nsl-promo-v_1&mb=ZZoweYZzKR4iNhKweMhNQOHnVev1imbCBDNSJ/4NlQU=#1

What Women Can Do About Hair Loss

Lifestyle changes and certain treatments may help.

By Lisa Marshall
You look in the mirror one day and notice a widening part or a patch of scalp showing through your once-thick mane. Maybe you spot an alarming clump circling the shower drain.

Such moments are especially frightening for women, says Shani Francis, MD, director of the Hair Disorders Center of Excellence at NorthShore University Health System.

Some reasons for hair loss:

• Excess styling
  • A thyroid imbalance
  • Low iron and low vitamin D: Have your doctor check your levels; supplement if necessary.
  • Medication: Going on birth control, blood pressure medication, steroids, or antidepressants can all prompt hair to shed temporarily.
  • Significant weight loss
  • Hormone changes after pregnancy or during menopause
  • A traumatic event, like an illness, surgery, or death in the family
By middle age, 40% of women show signs of pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia), a genetically-based condition in which hair follicles gradually shrink and become less active, prompting budding strands to become wispy and stubby, shed more, and grow less. Declining estrogen levels, due to menopause, may also play a role in hair loss.

Many other women go through telogen effluvium, a temporary shedding sparked by stress, illness, nutritional deficiencies, or hormonal changes. For this type of hair loss, in which hair tends to fall out in clumps, better nutrition, rest, and time may be all you need.

SLIDESHOW
Slideshow: Women's Hair Loss -- Thinning Hair Causes and Solutions
Thinning hair and bald patches are surprisingly common in women. See the progression, causes, and treatments for this distressing condition.

If you talk to your doctor and decide you want to try a hair loss treatment, you have several options.

Creams

In 2014, the FDA approved a new women's version of the over-the-counter hair-loss cream minoxidil (Rogaine). Originally used as a blood-pressure medication, minoxidil dilates blood vessels, helping to stimulate and nourish hair follicles. The new Women's Rogaine 5% minoxidil foam needs to be applied only once a day.

Medications
The main culprit of pattern hair loss for women is dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a derivative of the male hormone testosterone. When it gets inside hair follicles it damages them. The drug finasteride (Propecia) reduces DHT. Doctors advise women of childbearing age to never take it.

Laser devices

The FDA approved the first laser comb in 2007. Since then, the comb has been joined by laser caps, helmets, and brushes ranging from $300 to $700. One 2014 study of 128 men and 141 women found those who used a laser comb three times a week for 26 weeks saw hair thicken.

Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP)

Since 2008, PRP has become popular among younger women with pattern hair loss who can't take pills and aren't a good fit for hair transplantation surgery.

There's been little research on the procedure, and treatments run about $1,500 apiece. Francis says the jury is still out regarding how well PRP works.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be on these meds for life, so I will just have to deal. It's not as bad as it could be. I couldn't wear a wig. Just too hot and uncomfortable, and really not me. I would probably feel worse emotionally than I do just being natural. I mean, I could cut my hair super short and maybe it would be less noticeable to me, but that isn't my style either. It's okay, really. It's just thin when I used to have very thick hair. I just need to embrace it and work with it. It's not the end of the world. Thanks ladies!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results