shape
carat
color
clarity

*~*What American Regional Accent Do You Have?*~*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Take This Quiz!

What American regional accent do you have? mia1181 inspired this thread with her thread on how you pronounce the words: Mary, marry, and merry.

The way you pronounce the words will be be based on your regional accent.

Take the quiz and report back to this thread...just for fun, of course!

I wonder which accent most Pricescopers now have? Where do most Pricescopers currently hail from?

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I took the quiz. One flaw that it has that I didn't realize until I did so is that it doesn't have a map to show you what region (on the map) is the one it describes in words! My accent is, supposedly, from "The Inland North"...but I do not know what area is considered "the inland north"! I suspect that it just means that I do not have a regional New England accent (which I know). I live close enough to Boston and Maine to hear those accents. I have been told, however, that I speak "television English", the English broadcasters look for. Being from southwestern Connecticut, I escaped the New England accent, but also the various New York City accents, I think ;-).

Deborah
34.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Apparently I have a Philly accent? I have no idea what a Philly accent sounds like!
3.gif
Everyone''s always said I don''t have a discernible accent - I guess that''s what happens when you grow up everywhere, lol

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Mine comes up with "Inland north," which I guess is consistent with growing up in Western New York. I''ve also lived on the East Coast (Philadelphia) and in the Midwest (St. Louis), and for the most part, I don''t think I speak much differently from either of these groups!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
ha, snort..it said NYC!!! I''m from the deep south!!! snort, snort, snort,...I''m laughing in my coffee right now...how in the world did they get that? Maybe I''m just a poor test taker!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Wow - right on. Mine was inland north and said - you probably get asked annoying questions like "are you from Wisconsin?" lol - Yes I am! We do have a distinct dialect up here.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
It says I have a Midland accent which basically means no accent. It says I have a good voice for TV. I am from Atlanta a used to have a bit of a Southern accent, but I think it has gone away since moving to Florida.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Mine was accurate--the quiz result was that I have a midland accent (I''m from Missouri). I never thought I had an accent at all until my husband''s family, who have thick Boston accents, told me I sound like I''m from the south. I still feel like my accent is fairly neutral.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I got a "midland" accent which is probably about right--spent my childhood in New Jersey and most of my teen and adult life in Maryland. I have an ever-so-slight Southern accent on select words (some parts of Maryland sound like the deep south), and now have a dash or two of some sort of English accent too because of where I live now (my family laughs really hard when they hear me do it over the phone
3.gif
).

But yeah, my accent is probably about 98% mid-Atlantic, midland or neutral TV voice--whatever you want to call it.
1.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
It said I had a Boston accent. I grew up in MA, so it''s probably kind of accurate, but I know I don''t really have a thick accent. People usually comment when I tell them where I''m from - "but you don''t have an accent!" But there are words that I pronounce differently - like aunt and ant do not sound the same.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I did not have to take that quiz to know that I have a mid-west accent. That means I have NO accent... It''s flat. (Although, that quiz said I was likely from Penn., S.Ohio, S.Illinois, or S.Indiana, and I am from Michigan)
3.gif

Plus, I am a teacher and I teach kids with learning disabilities,so I have to be very precise when speaking- A lot of them have a hard time differentiating between vowel sounds, and I don''t want to confuse them!!

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
That was pretty neat. I am from NJ and my result was the Northeast! "Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine came out "inland north" even though I ''m a native New Yawker. I''m sure that my years of working for companies in L.A. and later Minneapolis mellowed my New York accent. I still pronounce some words like my Mini-apple friends.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm.. I have a Midland accent.. which it says is basically no accent at all .

I''ve been told before that I have a Chicago accent, which I found interesting...
I never thought I had ANY accent.. so I guess this quiz confirms THAT :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m Midland, so no accent. (Although sometimes I catch myself saying things with a Southern twinge, though, because my fiance is from Kentucky!) I was born and raised in VA but my dad is from Missouri and my mom is from Boston so I guess I''m a blend.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely right on for me - Inland North and yes I call soft drinks "pop".
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My accent is "The West" which is supposed to sound non-regional I guess. It makes sense. Both of my parents had very strong mid-western accents (one from Chicago and one from northern Michigan) and they tried to suppress those as much as possible and teach me to speak without an accent. Haha. I also grew up in a city with a very strong accent (Pittsburgh) and they tried to keep me from picking it up.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Deb, inland north to me sounds like Wisconsin, northern Michigan, Minnesota, etc. Not sure if that''s what they really mean though.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you''re not from Philadelphia, then you''re from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you''ve ever journeyed to some far off place where people don''t know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn''t have a clue what accent it was they heard.

awesome as I am from Philly! i do say wudder!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inland North for me...I am from Ohio.
And yes, I call carbonated drinks "pop"!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Mine came out right on - I am from NY, and it said that I have a "Northeast" accent.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 11:53:51 AM
Author: vespergirl
Mine came out right on - I am from NY, and it said that I have a ''Northeast'' accent.

Mine said "The West" which is fairly accurate. I was born in California and lived there until I was 11.

Lexie

Shiny_Rock
My Result: The West

"you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta."

Very accurate, since I was born and raised in Houston
4.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I was curious what American accent the quiz would say I have since I have only been living in the US for about a year and a half.

My result was "North Central"

"''North Central'' is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn''t think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."

Haha! That''s pretty funny, since I am from Toronto.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I got Midland, which = no accent.

Sadly, this is true. Despite growing up in the South, I have no accent at all. My mother has a beautiful Mississippi accent, but my dad is from the Midwest, and I guess that rubbed off more. Plus, I spent much of my childhood in East Tennessee. I didn''t like the accent there and tried hard not to pick it up. The sad, sad result is that I have no accent.

I love going to visit my family in Mississippi - my accent comes out very strongly.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
And this one is about hearing different dialects - can you place them on a map? http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/map/map.html

The rest of the website is really fun, too - it''s from the Do You Speak American? series that PBS did (I think in the 80''s or 90''s - a GREAT rental on Netflix! DH and LOVED watching this together).

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
And this one is about hearing different dialects - can you place them on a map? http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/map/map.html

The rest of the website is really fun, too - it''s from the Do You Speak American? series that PBS did (I think in the 80''s or 90''s - a GREAT rental on Netflix! DH and LOVED watching this together).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always been told by speech and voice coaches that I have a "midwestern standard" accent: that which they coach newscasters and actors to speak with. Always made sense to me, as I grew up in a (relatively more cultured than the surrounding rural area) University town in the midwest.

My results from this quiz:

Your Result: The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you''re a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The quiz says I sounds like I''m from the west. I was born in northern California and moved to the East coast when I was two. I''ve lived in the Northeast ever since. I''ve been told I have no accent, or a very neutral accent. I grew up in a well-educated and culturally diverse town but the area around the town was very rural and not so diverse.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results