shape
carat
color
clarity

*~*What American Regional Accent Do You Have?*~*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Tagged me correctly - suthern y''all!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Mine was "The West," like Musey. In the summary, it says I also might have grown up in one of those big cities in the South, like Dallas- which is true!
3.gif
Whenever I tell people where I'm from, 80 percent say, "but you don't have a southern accent!"

I once had a taxi driver tell me I sounded like I was from Connecticut.
33.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! I have lived in Chicago for 24 years, moved from other places...BUT...it says I have a Philly accent! Guess where I was born and moved from at age 21? (btw, i Lived in Philly from 0-8, moved to Chicago from 8-11, and moved to the Philly suburbs from 11-21.) NO ONE has pegged me as a Philly accent since I was very small. I thought I had it licked! ( I am 49.)
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a discernible accent (typical in NM). Mine also said Philadelphia, and I''m not really sure what that means.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inland North, i.e. the Great Lakes.

Can''t say I''m surprised!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
The quiz tagged me and DH right - Inland North. We live in NW Ohio and have for all our lives. We do call carbonated beverages pop, too!

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Inland North...which is absolutely true, I grew up in Michigan. I now live in Atlanta, and a lot of my customers ask if I am from Chicago, which doesn''t surprise me, as I grew up directly across Lake Michigan from there and that was where most of the radio and tv I watched and listened to came from.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Midland, which seems appropriate since I''m actually Canadian.
36.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Maybe western US--it''s pretty nondescript, though.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
This was a fun quiz :)

Inland North. Philadelphia and the Northeast tied for 1st with the Midland were very close. The South, Boston, the West and North Central were far behind.

I am from Chicago and have never been asked if I am from Wisconsin, btw. However, when I have had too much to drink, I have been asked if I am from NYC.

I just tried the other quiz and my results were:

70% General American English

15% Yankee

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern

I thought it funny that "Dixie" was higher than "Midwestern."

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I am:

65% General American English

20% Yankee

10% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

On the other test that made my dialect midland, though I got the wrong answer three times in a row.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
It told me "The West" but then proceeded to tell me that I don''t have any discernible accent. The one that I had the least match with was where I am actually from- The Northest! I have tried hard not to sound like a typical New Englander.

I do slip up once in a while and say "wudder" instead of "water" which is a lovely little thing I have picked up from living in the Philadelphia area.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness. I loved this. I always ask people what accent I have and they always say I don''t have one. BOO.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don''t have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Also I am from Florida!! Lower Alabama part of Florida!! Shouldn''t I have an accent?!
29.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
got mine right - Southern.
Southern mixed with Texas drawl - what a mess!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says I have a Midland accent/no accent.

But I grew up in CA! Actually, I think I know why it pegged me like this. English wasn't my first language. So most of my childhood exposure were TV (like Sesame Street stuff) and my preschool/K teachers, some of which I think were not from around here.

And for the second quiz, I distinctly remember growing up and hearing teachers prefer sneakers over tennis shoes, or "kitty corner," which I'll take to be a Midwestern thing because my whole algebra class was confused over what that meant, and when I got introduced to aunt/ant as well as route like boot or out.

brooklyngirl

Brilliant_Rock
I got Philly/NJ. I guess sort of right, since I''m from NYC.

I never thought I had an accent until I started working outside of NYC (i.e. Florida, Atlanta, California). Apparently I have a rather strong Brooklyn accent
33.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine say i speak Chinese English.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Both quizzes said I have a general American/midlands accent, which is pretty accurate.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... It says Midland. I grew up in TN, spent 6 years in Seattle and then the last two in Atlanta, which is just a big melting pot. I''m pretty sure my accent sounds quite southern, but at the same time, it''s not the "twang" you hear from south and really rural Georgia.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 9:37:31 AM
Author: basil
It said I had a Boston accent. I grew up in MA, so it''s probably kind of accurate, but I know I don''t really have a thick accent. People usually comment when I tell them where I''m from - ''but you don''t have an accent!'' But there are words that I pronounce differently - like aunt and ant do not sound the same.

Same here.

I definitely don''t do the ''I paaaahhked the caaaaah in haaahhvaahhd yaaaahd.'' In fact, people often ask why I don''t have a ''Boston'' accent, if I grew up in Mass.

lol And I say ''aunt,'' not ''ant,'' too!
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/8/2009 11:02:24 PM
Author: Bia

It said I had a Boston accent. I grew up in MA, so it's probably kind of accurate, but I know I don't really have a thick accent. People usually comment when I tell them where I'm from - 'but you don't have an accent!' But there are words that I pronounce differently - like aunt and ant do not sound the same.

Same here.

I definitely don't do the 'I paaaahhked the caaaaah in haaahhvaahhd yaaaahd.' In fact, people often ask why I don't have a 'Boston' accent, if I grew up in Mass.

lol And I say 'aunt,' not 'ant,' too!
1.gif

I say, "Aunt", not "Ant". Is that so unusual? I grew up in southwestern Connecticut. My mother, who taught me to speak, and my maternal grandmother were born and raised in Connecticut so I have roots here. I have heard other people in this area (perhaps raised by mothers not born in this region) say, "Ant". I recall a good friend down the street when I was a child having "Ants" who were not even real relatives, but close female friends of her mother to whom the courtesy title of, "Ant" was given! I also know of people from other areas of the country who have, "Ants". I just think of, "Aunt" as normal in this area, however!

Frankly, "Ant" grates on my ears!!!

Deborah
34.gif

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Haha I''m Philly as a cheesesteak! I''ve lived here my whole life.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
HA! It says I have a midland accent, but I'm from the South. It does have the South as my highest percentage though. I'm not from one of the huge Southern cities like it says, but I do live in Raleigh, which may have something to do with it I guess, since it's become such a melting pot area for people from everywhere.
33.gif
My dad has always been a big enunciator (sp?) and very particular with his words (he's from around here), and my mom's not too bad with her Southern drawl (she's from the boonies). My grandparents are though, haha.

I certainly don't have the "sa-weeet Suthern drawwwll, like you see them cute little Suthern bey-ells on TV with..." haha because most of those are old plantation farm accents from the deep South days of women in big skirts.
3.gif
Mine is more neutral, but I tend to sound pretty country/redneck-y when I get to talking fast or don't pay attention to it very much.

But don't worry, I don't write like I talk - I know people who like to "write like I'm talkin' to yall right now, sittin' here wit muh puppy Dixie and muh baby..."
14.gif
The only thing "you guys" will ever see me write is "yall" - because that's just a really hard habit to break.
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 11:45:45 AM
Author: Diamond*Dana
Inland North for me...

And yes, I call carbonated drinks ''pop''!
ditto
cept the ohio part.
storm speaketh stormish which is a language into itself with its own rules that I make up as I go along :}

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
The other quiz gives me this (haha guess I''m pretty boring!
3.gif
):

70% General American English

25% Dixie

5% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 11:22:02 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
3/8/2009 11:02:24 PM

Author: Bia

It said I had a Boston accent. I grew up in MA, so it''s probably kind of accurate, but I know I don''t really have a thick accent. People usually comment when I tell them where I''m from - ''but you don''t have an accent!'' But there are words that I pronounce differently - like aunt and ant do not sound the same.

Same here.

I definitely don''t do the ''I paaaahhked the caaaaah in haaahhvaahhd yaaaahd.'' In fact, people often ask why I don''t have a ''Boston'' accent, if I grew up in Mass.

lol And I say ''aunt,'' not ''ant,'' too!
1.gif
I say, ''Aunt'', not ''Ant''. Is that so unusual? I grew up in southwestern Connecticut. My mother, who taught me to speak, and my maternal grandmother were born and raised in Connecticut so I have roots here. I have heard other people in this area (perhaps raised by mothers not born in this region) say, ''Ant''. I recall a good friend down the street when I was a child having ''Ants'' who were not even real relatives, but close female friends of her mother to whom the courtesy title of, ''Ant'' was given! I also know of people from other areas of the country who have, ''Ants''. I just think of, ''Aunt'' as normal in this area, however!

Frankly, ''Ant'' grates on my ears!!!

Deborah

34.gif

Maybe because southwestern CT is closer to NY than to the more northern NE states? My FI says ''Ant'' too...I always thought that was weird LOL

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 2:43:07 PM
Author: EBree
Mine was ''The West,'' like Musey. In the summary, it says I also might have grown up in one of those big cities in the South, like Dallas- which is true!
3.gif
Whenever I tell people where I''m from, 80 percent say, ''but you don''t have a southern accent!''

I once had a taxi driver tell me I sounded like I was from Connecticut.
33.gif
Connecticut does have an accent, but no one ever believes me! Lol I''ve been living here for 3 years and I''ve noticed that the people who were born and raised here do say certain words a certain way (generally involves dropping T''s, like pronouncing the town of Shelton as Shel-un). Everyone thinks I''m crazy when I mention this though ...
3.gif

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Oh god, NJ! And its apparent when I''m out of state...

cawfee

raanch

maaahrinaahra

annoywing

Luckily I can kind of smooth it over if I''m out of the state long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results