shape
carat
color
clarity

*~*What American Regional Accent Do You Have?*~*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Mine said inland north. I think this is WAY wrong. Funny.
I often get asked if I am from the SOUTH. I have visited Northen US, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and I don''t sound like them. maybe just knowing I was taking a quiz, made me answer in a way that is not completely natural for me... interesting.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock

75% General American English

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Yankee

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 9:31:25 AM
Author: gwendolyn
I got a 'midland' accent which is probably about right--spent my childhood in New Jersey and most of my teen and adult life in Maryland. I have an ever-so-slight Southern accent on select words (some parts of Maryland sound like the deep south), and now have a dash or two of some sort of English accent too because of where I live now (my family laughs really hard when they hear me do it over the phone
3.gif
).

But yeah, my accent is probably about 98% mid-Atlantic, midland or neutral TV voice--whatever you want to call it.
1.gif
LOL! Gwen, you'll be interested to know that I was born and raised in Maryland, and I have a Southern accent according to the first quiz!
9.gif

ETA: I just took the second quiz, and got the following results:

60% General American English

25% Dixie

10% Yankee

5% Upper Midwest

0% Midwestern

The title of this thread, coming out of my mouth, would sound like this: "Whut Amerkin Reejunul Axent D'Y'All Have?"
3.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 9:23:56 AM
Author: steph72276
It says I have a Midland accent which basically means no accent. It says I have a good voice for TV. I am from Atlanta a used to have a bit of a Southern accent, but I think it has gone away since moving to Florida.

No accent? so if you came to Britain I would not know you were American? Everyone I believe has an accent, even Londoners and people of Queen's english from Windsor have totally different accents as do people from North of England. Scottish, Welsh and Irish all different too. E.g. people in the Irish republic are different from Northern Ireland and people within each of these areas have different accents too.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 3:06:44 PM
Author: Pyramid

Date: 3/8/2009 9:23:56 AM
Author: steph72276
It says I have a Midland accent which basically means no accent. It says I have a good voice for TV. I am from Atlanta a used to have a bit of a Southern accent, but I think it has gone away since moving to Florida.

No accent? so if you came to Britain I would not know you were American? Everyone I believe has an accent, even Londoners and people of Queen''s english from Windsor have totally different accents as do people from North of England. Scottish, Welsh and Irish all different too. E.g. people in the Irish republic are different from Northern Ireland and people within each of these areas have different accents too.
It just means no truly characteristic accent that would link you to a particular region in the US. Of course a Brit would instantly know you were American, but he or she, or even another American, might not be able to tell where your from in America.

Oddly enough, I came out with Midlands. No accent. Although I doubt that for some reason. But still, by the standards of where I live, I probably do have very little accent. My family on both sides hail from those nondescript (accent-wise) places like Colorado and Missouri. So it''s possible I might fool someone. Until I said, "HEY! Time for all y''all to come over for dinner!" Then I''d be sunk! ;-)

Hera

Ideal_Rock
It''s so hard to believe that I would have a Midlands dialect. I''m born and raised in the Valley of Los Angeles, the origin of the "Valley Girl Dialect" and I grew up in the 80''s when it was most popular. For those of you living abroad, you may have heard the dialect from the movie, "clueless".
Still, I don''t think I sound anywhere near that exaggerated now. At least I hope not!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
People sometimes think I''m from NYC which is weird because I''m a native San Franciscan. I think people that are born and grew up here must have a certain accent, and thats what people are hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results