shape
carat
color
clarity

what a joke and only can happen in this beloved country of ours...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i was in line at an asian market waiting to pay for my stuff. this guy walks up to the cashier and ask "do you take food stamp for live lobsters
6.gif
" LOBSTERS??? Wednesday,Thurs,Friday... you''re on welfare and having lobsters for dinner on taxpayer''s money.
29.gif
wonder why they don''t want to work
29.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
So I suppose people on government assistance should be eating a piece of cardbord with a slab of 2 year old peanut butter then
20.gif
And shame on that guy for asking a valid question of what his stamps cover versus what it doesn''t. I mean what a horrible citizen asking questions!
20.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:44:30 PM
Author: fieryred33143
So I suppose people on government assistance should be eating a piece of cardbord with a slab of 2 year old peanut butter then
20.gif
And shame on that guy for asking a valid question of what his stamps cover versus what it doesn't. I mean what a horrible citizen asking questions!
20.gif
Ditto this to infinity.

It's not like the government just hands out money to people left and right. The people who are on Welfare need it, and considering that Welfare policies in the US do almost nothing to support the people who need it, it's very ineffective at doing what it is supposed to do. The "Welfare Queen" rhetoric is a myth and a lie. If people want to eat lobster, so be it. What's it to you?

ETA: Technically, this is LESS likely to happen in the US than another country. Other "developed" countries have MUCH better Welfare/public assistance systems than ours, and they likely do more to support the people using their services... unlike ours.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe it was someone's birthday and was wondering if they could splurge once? I don't know, just a thought?
12.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that just because someone is on welfare it doesn''t mean you can''t enjoy a nice meal and that you should only have crappy stuff.

But -

I think there are people on welfare who are definitely deserving, 100%, and there are people on welfare that just don''t want to work. I think that both situations exist.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:32:23 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
i was in line at an asian market waiting to pay for my stuff. this guy walks up to the cashier and ask ''do you take food stamp for live lobsters
6.gif
'' LOBSTERS??? Wednesday,Thurs,Friday... you''re on welfare and having lobsters for dinner on taxpayer''s money.
29.gif
wonder why they don''t want to work
29.gif

Sigh. This sort of post make me feel sad.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
20.gif
And shame on that guy for asking a valid question of what his stamps cover versus what it doesn't. I mean what a horrible citizen asking questions!
20.gif
You were joking, weren't you? Seriously.

In case you weren't, NO. NO, my money (as a taxpayer supplying the $$ for those on government assistance) should not go for 'luxury' items of food, alcohol, soda pop, junk food, etc. I don't buy lobster; why should someone else, on my dime? Assistance is provided so that no one has to go without nutritional food. Since 99.2% of welfare recipients aren't living in Maine, then I would assume lobster is not a 'normally purchased' food for most people. I'm not buying their beer, either. Not without a fight.

And as for some of the 'typical' replies on this thread and others:

Since most PSers responded to a thread last month about their regional politics, and admitted their lack of knowledge even regarding their state senator or congressman, someone please tell me this -- why does everyone seem to have a 'justified' position on every hot-button issue ever dredged up by the liberal media? If you gave a damn, you would know who your congressman/senator was, and your state representatives, and how they vote on those 'issues' that you've decided you have a right and duty to be passionate about.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:51:58 PM
Author: Skippy123
Maybe it was someone''s birthday and was wondering if they could splurge once? I don''t know, just a thought?
12.gif

This was exactly what I was wondering. It could have been a birthday, anniversary, graduation, or other celebration.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:00:39 PM
Author: HollyS

20.gif
And shame on that guy for asking a valid question of what his stamps cover versus what it doesn''t. I mean what a horrible citizen asking questions!
20.gif
You were joking, weren''t you? Seriously.

In case you weren''t, NO. NO, my money (as a taxpayer supplying the $$ for those on government assistance) should not go for ''luxury'' items of food, alcohol, soda pop, junk food, etc. I don''t buy lobster; why should someone else, on my dime? Assistance is provided so that no one has to go without nutritional food. Since 99.2% of welfare recipients aren''t living in Maine, then I would assume lobster is not a ''normally purchased'' food for most people. I''m not buying their beer, either. Not without a fight.

No I wasn''t joking. What''s wrong with asking a question about what the foodstamps could cover? If you don''t buy lobster, then that''s you. But he has every right to ask if he can at least buy it. I mean damn. The family can''t even have soda? Seriously????? You''re right, lobster is a luxury item and he was silly for assuming he could buy it but what was so wrong with asking the question?? Why assume he''s someone that is abusing his assistance? I would think we are all smart enough not to assume.

My family was on government assistance for a few months after my father passed away. All of our money went towards his chemo so we didn’t have a lick of cash to our name. We stayed on it until my mom was able to find a job and even though we got off of the assistance, we still had to have food donated to us. When we were on the food stamps and standing in line to get our groceries, people like you that had absolutely no idea what we were going through judged us like you wouldn’t believe. They would make comments loud enough for us to hear and it sent my mother crying home because she felt like a failure as a parent and as a person. All because people can’t see beyond stereotypes and just mind their own business. Did my mom go buying us lobster? No. But we did get to have soda for dinner
9.gif

We were able to move past that part of our lives through her strength and motivation to succeed but I take that part of my history everywhere we go. Are there people on Welfare that abuse the system? Absolutely, just like there are people that have infinite money that abuse their wealthy power. But unless you know that family’s situation personally, it’s best to assume they aren’t abusing their assistance and as my Godson says “mind your own beeswax”

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:56:20 PM
Author: claudinam
I agree that just because someone is on welfare it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a nice meal and that you should only have crappy stuff.

But -

I think there are people on welfare who are definitely deserving, 100%, and there are people on welfare that just don't want to work. I think that both situations exist.

I have to clarify this so everyone understands: working is a REQUIREMENT of Welfare. You have to be employed or actively seeking employment, and the system used to determine this is VERY harsh. Sorry to be overbearing here, but there is a LOT of misinformation about Welfare, and I think it's important that people really know what's going on.

ETA: Since the "reforms" in 1996, it is almost impossible to "abuse" the system. It was before that too, actually, but now we've made it so impossible to get Welfare assistance that the program is almost useless. Anything you've heard to the contrary is a rhetorical scare-tactic.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock

20.gif
20.gif

In case you weren''t, NO. NO, my money (as a taxpayer supplying the $$ for those on government assistance) should not go for ''luxury'' items of food, alcohol, soda pop, junk food, etc. I don''t buy lobster; why should someone else, on my dime? Assistance is provided so that no one has to go without nutritional food. Since 99.2% of welfare recipients aren''t living in Maine, then I would assume lobster is not a ''normally purchased'' food for most people. I''m not buying their beer, either. Not without a fight.
Ditto Holly.

Think of all of the other foods such as beans, chicken, vegetables, breads, you could buy for one lobster tail! That''s quite irresponsible of the welfare recipient. I''m with Skippy in hoping it was a one time thing... *sigh*

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:06:13 PM

20.gif
20.gif

No I wasn''t joking. What''s wrong with asking a question about what the foodstamps could cover? If you don''t buy lobster, then that''s you. But he has every right to ask if he can at least buy it. I mean damn. The family can''t even have soda? Seriously????? You''re right, lobster is a luxury item and he was silly for assuming he could buy it but what was so wrong with asking the question?? Why assume he''s someone that is abusing his assistance? I would think we are all smart enough not to assume.

My family was on government assistance for a few months after my father passed away. All of our money went towards his chemo so we didn’t have a lick of cash to our name. We stayed on it until my mom was able to find a job and even though we got off of the assistance, we still had to have food donated to us. When we were on the food stamps and standing in line to get our groceries, people like you that had absolutely no idea what we were going through judged us like you wouldn’t believe. They would make comments loud enough for us to hear and it sent my mother crying home because she felt like a failure as a parent and as a person. All because people can’t see beyond stereotypes and just mind their own business. Did my mom go buying us lobster? No. But we did get to have soda for dinner
9.gif

We were able to move past that part of our lives through her strength and motivation to succeed but I take that part of my history everywhere we go. Are there people on Welfare that abuse the system? Absolutely, just like there are people that have infinite money that abuse their wealthy power. But unless you know that family’s situation personally, it’s best to assume they aren’t abusing their assistance and as my Godson says “mind your own beeswax”
Assistance is for ''assistance''. Providing for the basic needs of a family, for instance. Soda is not a basic need, and should never be given to children with their dinner, anyway.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 8:06:13 PM

20.gif
20.gif

9.gif

I hear you. It''s all about not generalizing, stereotyping, and making judgments w/o knowing what the situation is.

I think unfortunately, we have to work at not passing judgment. When I catch myself doing it, even if for a moment, I make myself stop and analyze why I had that reaction and whether there was any foundation for me to feel that way. It takes awareness.

If there is one thing I am going to do if I have kids is teach them to be NEUTRAL - to work hard at eliminating their own prejudices when they feel them.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:14:43 PM

Assistance is for ''assistance''. Providing for the basic needs of a family, for instance. Soda is not a basic need, and should never be given to children with their dinner, anyway.

Yeah well when you are in a situation where your kids don''t have much to look forward to and the light at the end of the tunnel is very dim, giving them a cup of .99 ritz soda is not so bad in the bigger picture
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:09:33 PM
Author: WishfulThinking

I agree that just because someone is on welfare it doesn''t mean you can''t enjoy a nice meal and that you should only have crappy stuff.

But -

I think there are people on welfare who are definitely deserving, 100%, and there are people on welfare that just don''t want to work. I think that both situations exist.

I have to clarify this so everyone understands: working is a REQUIREMENT of Welfare. You have to be employed or actively seeking employment, and the system used to determine this is VERY harsh. Sorry to be overbearing here, but there is a LOT of misinformation about Welfare, and I think it''s important that people really know what''s going on.

ETA: Since the ''reforms'' in 1996, it is almost impossible to ''abuse'' the system. It was before that too, actually, but now we''ve made it so impossible to get Welfare assistance that the program is almost useless. Anything you''ve heard to the contrary is a rhetorical scare-tactic.
I have to disagree a wee bit, ok, a lot.
28.gif
DH worked for the DPSS for quite a while prior to the reforms and after the reforms. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of abuse in the system.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 8:09:33 PM

But -

I have to clarify this so everyone understands: working is a REQUIREMENT of Welfare. You have to be employed or actively seeking employment, and the system used to determine this is VERY harsh. Sorry to be overbearing here, but there is a LOT of misinformation about Welfare, and I think it''s important that people really know what''s going on.

ETA: Since the ''reforms'' in 1996, it is almost impossible to ''abuse'' the system. It was before that too, actually, but now we''ve made it so impossible to get Welfare assistance that the program is almost useless. Anything you''ve heard to the contrary is a rhetorical scare-tactic.
Thank you for clarifying that, wishful (about the working). I didn''t know that.

I think the point I was trying to make went a little bit beyond that though. I do feel that some people are content STAYING on welfare. They''ll do the MINIMUM they need to do to get it and have no desire to get out of it. It''s a way of life. I have known people like that - but - this was quite a while back. So maybe it was before all the reforms you mention. I have to admit that my impression was that it''s not hard to get/stay on welfare.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I hope it was a once-a-year thing, but if not, I agree with DF...not that welfare recipients don't want to work, but that if they want to buy expensive food items they should spend their own hard-earned money. Lobster is very different than soda, simply due to the price discrepancy. You can get soda for a dollar; you canNOT get soda for a dollar. When other people's incomes (taxed) are paying for your welfare dollars, I would hope that the recipient would try to stretch those welfare dollars as far as possible, especially considering they likely need to get as much use out of it was possible if they are on welfare in the first place. I would not want someone to buy lobster with welfare money just like I wouldn't want someone to buy caviar, Cristal, etc. It's not to say that they don't DESERVE these expensive items, I think it can be argued that everyone DESERVES these things, but I think you should work yourself to acquire the "finer things in life," not use taxpayer money for them. When I was growing up my parents received foodstamps because even with their two incomes it was not enough to feed all of us kids. However, they always kept full-time jobs and bought the cheapest food they could find that was still nutritious. I couldn't imagine my mom spending her foodstamp money on lobster simply due to the fact that the amount she received would feed maybe one of us that way!

I also think that the welfare system is abused and is done so easily. I worked for various businesses, from grocery stores to rental properties, where welfare was abused daily. I've had customers try to buy beer and cigarettes with foodstamps, as well as seen many, many illegal tenants in HUD-leased housing. I'm sure this was the minority of recipients, but it does happen readily.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fiery and wishful...

let me tell you a story.this was before the credit card system...i have a postmen friend that delivers mail in the getto area.on the first day of each month (welfare check day) he would get so scare to deliver mail into those apartment complex. the welfare recipients would surround him, saying....you better have our checks or else you ain''t walk out of here alive.
6.gif
i mean this is B.S the taxpayers don''t owe them anything. they just sit at home waiting to get paid for doing nothing.
29.gif

another guy said to him....i hate to be delivering mail in this 105* heat, it sure feels good with this cold beer in my hand. my friend said...if he had a gun he would of shoot his AS.

i feel sorry for those people that are working for $7 an hr whom probably couldn''t afford to buy lobster for dinner and the ones that don''t work can afford to eat lobster for dinner. something is wrong with our welfare system.
38.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Your ghetto neighborhood post office story was...weird. But I still don''t think its fair to assume that this person is intentionally abusing his right. Maybe he just walked in there and thought to himself if he could get lobster, asked the question, they said no (or at least I hope they did cause food stamps can''t be used for lobster), he said ok, and went on to get his box of Kix. No biggie.

I have seen situations where people abuse it as well, especially living in Miami and where I used to live (brooklyn). There are no food stamps anymore. It comes in the form of a debit card (I think its called ETA or something like that). I was getting my nails done and someone tried to pay with her debit card, couldn''t, then just walked out. She told the guy "oh well, too bad" and walked right out
6.gif
. In those cases...
38.gif
. And don''t get me started on how people with Section 8 can get beachfront apartments right on South Beach
23.gif

But there are a lot of cases where people don''t abuse and it isn''t fair to assume everyone has bad intentions.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20.gif
20.gif
that would of been a good meal
18.gif
from where i was born.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
There will always be people who abuse something. But to lump any and all people into one category is naive and/or ignorant.

If there were such a thing as judgment day, wouldn''t it be a trip to find out that we were all going to be judged on how judgmental we were??
6.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 9:02:28 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
fiery and wishful...

let me tell you a story.this was before the credit card system...i have a postmen friend that delivers mail in the getto area.on the first day of each month (welfare check day) he would get so scare to deliver mail into those apartment complex. the welfare recipients would surround him, saying....you better have our checks or else you ain't walk out of here alive.
6.gif
i mean this is B.S the taxpayers don't owe them anything. they just sit at home waiting to get paid for doing nothing.
29.gif

another guy said to him....i hate to be delivering mail in this 105* heat, it sure feels good with this cold beer in my hand. my friend said...if he had a gun he would of shoot his AS.

i feel sorry for those people that are working for $7 an hr whom probably couldn't afford to buy lobster for dinner and the ones that don't work can afford to eat lobster for dinner. something is wrong with our welfare system.
38.gif
i am sorry to say i believe your story. this country has become a bunch of people who feel entitled. i don't know if it is generational or not but in my youth soda was a treat and i never even saw a lobster. we were not poor just working class people who made do with my father's earnings. i learned that you had to live on what you made and tried to do the best i could. this is what made america strong. when we got to the point we wanted to make it better and easier for each generation we started going down hill. we are destroying ourselves. you have to be hungry (figure of speech i don't want people to be literally starving) to have the gumption to do the hard work to make a strong and financially responsible nation. i think we have hit the point of no return when we are fighting each other as to whether we deserve lobster and soda if we can't afford it. i don't want to insult anyone i am just scared for our country and its people. i am for helping others but i think it needs to be done privately by people helping people get back on track not government entitlements that don't seem to be doing the job.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad I have better things to do than worry about what people on welfare purchase for dinner. I think fieryred''s experience with her family being on welfare is the perfect example of why you shouldn''t jump to conclusions about people who are less fortunate than you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 7:51:40 PM

20.gif
20.gif
Ditto this to infinity.

It''s not like the government just hands out money to people left and right. The people who are on Welfare need it, and considering that Welfare policies in the US do almost nothing to support the people who need it, it''s very ineffective at doing what it is supposed to do. The ''Welfare Queen'' rhetoric is a myth and a lie. If people want to eat lobster, so be it. What''s it to you?
let me tell you another story....

back in the late 60''s our family would of qualify for government assistance w/o any problem,but we were too ashamed to go on welfare, so my older brother (19 yrs old) got a job working in a resturant for something like $170 a month to support us a family of four. i remember rent was $70 per month,so we had $100 left for everything else.

but nowadays.... these people that are on assistance feel like the government owe them the money.
29.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 9:34:03 PM
Author: thing2of2
I''m glad I have better things to do than worry about what people on welfare purchase for dinner. I think fieryred''s experience with her family being on welfare is the perfect example of why you shouldn''t jump to conclusions about people who are less fortunate than you.

I know nothing about the US welfare system but a big ole ditto to this, be thankful you are not on the other side.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto.
5.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:34:07 PM
Author: IndyGirl22
I have to say I hope it was a once-a-year thing, but if not, I agree with DF...not that welfare recipients don't want to work, but that if they want to buy expensive food items they should spend their own hard-earned money. Lobster is very different than soda, simply due to the price discrepancy. You can get soda for a dollar; you canNOT get LOBSTER for a dollar. When other people's incomes (taxed) are paying for your welfare dollars, I would hope that the recipient would try to stretch those welfare dollars as far as possible, especially considering they likely need to get as much use out of it was possible if they are on welfare in the first place. I would not want someone to buy lobster with welfare money just like I wouldn't want someone to buy caviar, Cristal, etc. It's not to say that they don't DESERVE these expensive items, I think it can be argued that everyone DESERVES these things, but I think you should work yourself to acquire the 'finer things in life,' not use taxpayer money for them. When I was growing up my parents received foodstamps because even with their two incomes it was not enough to feed all of us kids. However, they always kept full-time jobs and bought the cheapest food they could find that was still nutritious. I couldn't imagine my mom spending her foodstamp money on lobster simply due to the fact that the amount she received would feed maybe one of us that way!

I also think that the welfare system is abused and is done so easily. I worked for various businesses, from grocery stores to rental properties, where welfare was abused daily. I've had customers try to buy beer and cigarettes with foodstamps, as well as seen many, many illegal tenants in HUD-leased housing. I'm sure this was the minority of recipients, but it does happen readily.
Sorry, had to edit my post because it didn't make sense with the typo. I just want to clarify that of course there could be a million explanations/facts to DF's OP that we don't know simply because he didn't know. I think it's perfectly fine for people to post their initial reactions to the story given the lack of details we are given. My initial reaction to someone on welfare trying to buy live lobsters for dinner is shock and frustration. It is a biggie to me if someone who has a low income tries to use taxpayer dollars to buy expensive foods when that money could be stretched much further. I don't care at all what people spend their own money on, but I definitely have an interest in what welfare recipients spend their foodstamps on because those are, in part, my taxpayer dollars at work. I don't have a lot of extra money & I would certainly stretch that money further than lobster if it wasn't taken out of my paycheck. Maybe many or most people don't agree with me, but I think of my interest in what foodstamps are going for is the same as my interest in what buildings the government will be erecting with my taxes...if my money is going for a struggling family to get back on their feet I am happy, if it is going towards high-priced "luxury" foods, I won't feel guilty about not feeling happy about it. Responsible tax budgetting is definitely important to me. My family HAS been on the other side & used it until we didn't need to anymore, but never abused it. Let's also remember that things come full circle when you judge someone as judgmental.
1.gif

On a side note: I am very glad the government finally switched to those cards (EBT) instead of the paper money they used to use & it has certainly cut down on any embarrassment welfare recipients may feel & abuse from people selling foodstamps. However, I wish cashiers would uniformly check IDs on the cards because I know people who still buy x amount of dollars from welfare recipients & then allow someone else to use their card. Again, this is a minority of cases, but is something that could be easily remedied.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 9:54:41 PM
Author: Kaleigh

I'm glad I have better things to do than worry about what people on welfare purchase for dinner. I think fieryred's experience with her family being on welfare is the perfect example of why you shouldn't jump to conclusions about people who are less fortunate than you.
Ditto.
5.gif
I completely agree!!!!!!!

Date: 8/17/2008 9:24:35 PM
Author: miraclesrule
There will always be people who abuse something. But to lump any and all people into one category is naive and/or ignorant.

If there were such a thing as judgment day,
wouldn't it be a trip to find out that we were all going to be judged on how judgmental we were??
6.gif

Yes, it is!
38.gif
I agree with this too!

Honestly, I think I rather judge someone once I know all the facts or walked in their shoes, we don't know this persons background of why he even asked the question in the first place. I would feel horrible if it was for his dying grandma and wanted to get her something but sometimes I think we should think before jumping to conclusions. There have been times I judged someone and I was completely wrong and they were very good reminders for me; I think sometimes we need to have a little more faith in people and what good they have in them.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results