shape
carat
color
clarity

WF studs: prong and metal Q

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,

I have been wanting to upgrade my diamond studs for a while (DSS: the struggle is real!), and now's the time. I've found a buyer for my Tiffany studs which I purchased pre-PS (and got royally ripped-off on :wall: ). The are .82 ctw, 4-prong, in platinum (obv). I've decided to go with WF ACA's at around .7 each (1.4 ctw). I suspect this will be enough of a change to cure my small-diamond blues for now, although I'm going with WF ACA's because I want to be able to upgrade in the future. :dance:

So, here are my questions. Any insight would be massively appreciated!

1. White gold or platinum? I will be wearing these studs pretty much every day. I've read the recent thread RE metal choice in tennis bracelets but I imagine studs are a different story given that one's earlobes don't come into regular contact with much at all (besides the screen of my iphone, which I suppose I should be more careful with...)
2. 4 or 6-prong? I'm currently ok with the 4-prong on my current studs, and although I prefer the rounded look given by a 6-prong I wonder if it matters all that much in such small stones.

Many, many thanks!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What metal are the posts of your earrings usually?
If you wear white gold with no allergic reactions, I would suggest WG.

I prefer 6 prong over 4 because 6 prong settings look more round, and the extra prongs afford extra security.

If you want the stud to look a little bigger, I'm a big fan of bezel settings as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say 4 prong on studs that are that size. I have had 4 prongs on all my WF studs ranging from .65 each to 1.15 each. I think I might go to 6 prongs around 1.5 cts, but I don't plan to upgrade to that size!

I suggest white gold until you get your final pair. I now have platinum special order 4 prong settings that are rather pricey..they are very much like Tiffany and low set. But I would never pay this much if I were going to upgrade. Buy the $195 pair for now because you'll only get maybe $25 for scrap when you send them back to upgrade.

rennipenni

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a pair of WF ACA diamond studs (0.8 ct each, 1.6 tcw) and choose the 6 prong in WG. I wanted a more traditional, round look for the setting. I'm really happy with my choice. I was worried the setting would overpower the diamonds, but instead they look very dainty.

Also, I feel like my studs look HUGE, no DSS at all. I think your choice of 0.7 each is perfect!

RP

img_11323.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer 6 prongs for round stones instead of 4 (or 3) & I don't think you need to worry that you'll end up with the diamond equivalent of a teen with "metal mouth" because of braces. Scroll down this page to see the more life-size ear shots (I.e., not magnified pics of the studs) that Andelain posted of her .82 tcw ACAs in 8-pronged mountings -- the diamonds aren't overpowered :))
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-less-than-1-ctw-studs-what-would-you-get.196270/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-less-than-1-ctw-studs-what-would-you-get.196270/[/URL]

Q

Queenie60

img_1795.jpg

My 1.84 ctw studs are set in 6 prong setting and they look great - the prongs haven't overpowered the stones at all.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all your input. I completely agree that 6-prong looks best, although DiamondSeeker makes an excellent point about wasting money given that I'm headed for an upgrade (in fact I was unsure if the setting was reused or scrapped, so thanks for answering that!)... :think: I'm going to ruminate and count my pennies before pulling the trigger at the beginning of next week. In any case I'll be sure to post pics on SMTB once I receive them. Thanks again!!!!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a fyi: you are not limited to the earring mountings shown on WF's web site; they can (and will) order any mounting that Stuller offers. So that might be a way to get a 6-prong white gold mounting for less than $495. if you explore that option with WF, tell them you want dainty, not blobby, prongs,so they can steer you to the most appropriate Stuller mountings -- and let you know how much, if anything, they would charge to shave down less appealing prongs before mounting the stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here, just didn't want you to worry about WF prongs on standard settings. They are so small you can hardly see them, which is the intent. My ring has 6 prongs, but it just doesn't matter on little studs as far as I am concerned. I went with the 4 prongs in platinum for my last pair because I wanted them to be like the Tiffany ones. These are .80 and .65.

_36935.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with 6 prong (more secure) and WG.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been in your situation before. If you plan on upgrading again in the future, go with the stock WG 4 prong settings. When you get to your final upgraded pair of studs, order the platinum 6 prong settings. Good luck with your decision! :wavey:

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
MollyMalone|1459858587|4015617 said:
Just a fyi: you are not limited to the earring mountings shown on WF's web site; they can (and will) order any mounting that Stuller offers. So that might be a way to get a 6-prong white gold mounting for less than $495. if you explore that option with WF, tell them you want dainty, not blobby, prongs,so they can steer you to the most appropriate Stuller mountings -- and let you know how much, if anything, they would charge to shave down less appealing prongs before mounting the stones.

MollyMalone: this is fantastic advice! I had no idea, so many thanks.

A special thanks, too, for all these pictures (which are definitely making me want the 6-prong...).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results