shape
carat
color
clarity

WF Does it again: 5 ct Spess Reset

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhhh, love your IRL pics. Looks so great on your hand. I really like the setting, definitely my cuppa
36.gif

Chrono, what is the size of that spessie?

I have a 10.5 mm peridot, round portugese cut from Andrew/Gemfix, and I need to have that same kind of design of the shank/gallery to allow for the stone not to be set terribly high.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Yah, another great piece for Chrono! Love the wavy line - my eyes were fixed on them.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
a whole batch of new pics..very nice C-money

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Very very pretty! Congratulations and a very beautiful ring.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lovely spess Chrono! Who was the cutter on the spess?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ and Ma Re,
While the design may not be to your personal taste, it warms my heart that you still see and appreciate the setting for what it is. I agree that a toned down and more budget friendly version is doable; I can envision a plain metal split shank with a plain metal wave basket which will still make a lovely solitaire.

SS,
Thank you. This ring ranks high up on my list of favourite piece of jewellery; together with my Mahenge ring, they will certainly be passed down the family like with pride. You have your own fiery embers and I look forward to seeing which one you will set and its design.
31.gif

TL,
I had debated going with double prongs but am glad I didn’t. I’m guilty of loving those Leon-like spidery thin prongs in theory but not as a practical everyday wear ring. The prongs on the spessartite are a little more sculptured, as you say, because of the necessity of the design. Most rings have a donut and basket but this setting has only a single basket holding everything together, thus requiring stronger prongs. Also, I remember your own scare with your spessartite coming loose in the setting recently so I will remember to check my prongs more often.

Kismet,
The previous setting was a very badly done Stuller halo. A picture of it will follow.

Stoniegrl,
Glad the setting is to your taste. The spessartite measures 9.6 x 9.6 mm so it is a little smaller than your peridot. Yes, one thing I love about this setting is that it is set as low as it can possibly be, which is beneficial to stones that are unusually deep or large.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh, AmGuy, Coloruvr & Crasru,
Thank you!

IndyLady,
Jeff White of www.whitesgems.com cut the spessartite for me. I made a mistake in my previous post that it was done in 2004. I thought long and hard about it and now recall that I purchased it in March of 2007. Here is the link to the stone on JW’s webpage: http://www.whitesgems.com/gallery/GAR082.htm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the picture of the preformed rough on the dop.

Originalspessrough.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the old Stuller setting it was in. The workmanship wasn’t good; the outline of the halo was uneven (wavy) but at least the diamond melees were decent. You can’t see it an arm’s length away but as the wearer, I can see it when I bring the ring up closer to my eye to admire the spessartite.

oldspessStuller1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the close-up picture. Sorry it is so blurry but those who are eagle eyed will see the poor workmanship.

Stullerspesscloseup.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow! A huge improvement over that Stuller setting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a vast improvement over the first setting in which the halo overwhelmed the spess. they competition in that ring was for me overwhelming.

however, this new setting is a stroke of brilliance: diamonds but not an obvious halo.

i could also see this being done with a plain shank and maintaining the diamonds around the pavillion.

mz

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring, Chrono! And you sound so delighted with it
36.gif

The color of the stone is wonderful, looks like something that would taste yummy!

Thank you for the variety of pictures-- it really helps to get a more accurate feel for the ring.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I've been searching for this thread and to no avail. I've been dying to see this reset!!

All I can say is... :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :love: :love: :love:

I love the design, it's so fluid and elegant. I love how the shank swoops up to display the spess, and allows for light to penetrate from all sides. And the wave of the gallery adds a nice touch so it balances the modern/delicate look. You have a great eye for design.

I bet that sucker just glows neon!!

I know I'm late coming in, but congrats on another heirloom piece.

This one should make the calendar too! :naughty:

PS: TL, if it wasn't for your link, I would have never found this thread. Thanks!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! :love:

What a gorgeous setting! I wouldn't call the wave a halo but it really makes the ring. I love how open the setting is - the view from the shank up to the stone is my favourite - nothing blocking it at all.

The stone ain't half bad either :cheeky: I agree that the high crown and the table must make it quite the sparkler.

Chrono - a quick question on the stone. On some pictures, the girdle seems quite thick. Is it or is it just a trick of the camera?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really beautiful. :love:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get enough of this ring, Chrono :love: I'm so glad the thread has popped up again!

I received a little extra money on a paycheck and was going to put it towards a ring setting, but now I'm tempted to begin my own search for a spess garnet :lickout: Yours, MZ's and TL's are very inspiring :loopy: :loopy:

portia

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, this is so gorgeous!! Beautiful stone and ring! :love:

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
All I can say is W O W S A ! ! ! ! :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Getting another look... this ring is gorgeous.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Omg, your ring it seriously gorgeous! It's stunning! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR,
Thank you for such generous compliments on the spess reset. In terms of design, I must admit this is my favourite piece because it is far from the ordinary.

LadyD,
Yes, the girdle sometimes appears somewhat thick in a few pictures because of the camera angle but it is also sort of thick-ish in the first place too. I guess part of the reason might be the size of the stone in addition to giving the stone some protection with it being a garnet? That’s just my guess. I don’t find it particularly thicker than my other stones though.

Kenny, Portia, Vbnet, Nashville, and Burberrygirl,
Thanks!

BabyNurse,
I’m always glad to be an enabler although I’m supposed to be a disabler. What I can say though is to check out AJS because they are currently running a sale and I’ve been debating getting another spess myself as one is not enough.

Nicki

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a difference when viewed against the old setting! I LOVE the prongs on the new setting! I think you and WF did an amazing job!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BabyNurse,
I’m always glad to be an enabler although I’m supposed to be a disabler. What I can say though is to check out AJS because they are currently running a sale and I’ve been debating getting another spess myself as one is not enough.[/quote]

Is this a new sale at AJS, Chrono? It looks like the one they've had going for the last few months...?

I'm going to take a good look at their stones.

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BN,
It’s the same one AJS has been running the past few weeks but I don’t know how long it will last. I’d better make up my mind before the prices revert back to the more expensive version!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, that is a glorious ring! The stone is amazing, but there is something about the way the design and the spessartite flow together that makes it seem totally organic. Perfect proportions and details.

I think Whiteflash should be paying you for having this ring and your Mahenge to show off on their website.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono,

You have such good taste. Another beauty!

Annette

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:
BN,
It’s the same one AJS has been running the past few weeks but I don’t know how long it will last. I’d better make up my mind before the prices revert back to the more expensive version!

Well, if you do decide to buy another, I'll look forward to seeing it because this one is magnificent.

I think searching for a spessartite for myself will be a project for 2011. Ugh, it pains me to say that but I've probably averaged one stone purchase every two weeks since February and out of all of those, only 2 are set. I'll focus on getting another gem set. They're pretty in a gem box but of course it's much nicer to wear them =)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your spessartite ring is beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results