shape
carat
color
clarity

WF diamond comparison

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zpk123

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at 2 diamonds on WF, wanted to know what u guys thought:

1. $10750
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.51
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.2
Table: 59
Crown Angle: 33
Crown %: 13.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.8
Girdle: MED-THK-FACETED
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 7.40-7.42X4.46

2. $108000
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.56
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 61.5
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 35
Crown %: 15.7
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: Medium Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 7.46-7.51X4.60

On HCA, #1 had TIC 1.2 and #2 had TIC 1.9
Since I''m a newbie, I have a few questions for the more experienced people out there.
1. Why is #1 not considered an ''Ideal cut''? Is it because of the polish and symmetry?
2. Which one would you prefer given those #?

I''m not sure what the fluorescence on #1 is, i''ll have to find out.
Thanks for your help!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Several factors on #1 make it not Ideal according to the guidelines--the polish/symmetry, 59% table, 13.4% crown...If you read through the tutorial at the top of the site,the cut differences between the 2 stones will be clear.

Have you seen both diamonds in person? Both may be very pretty....and the HCA scores are good as well. Some poeple prefer the smaller tables, while others like the larger tables...it would be good if you could see both, at least in pictures, to see which might be more pleasing to you.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Both score well on the HCA. #1 looks more shallow and doesn't get the Ex/EX on symmetry and polish to make it Ideal, but the HCA likes the crown/pavillion angle combo. I would ask to see and Idealscope picture of both to see how the light return looks. I'd also ask for H&A pictures if they are supposed to be H&A, and pictures and details of the inclusions. Since they are both WF stones, I'd ask to talk to Brian the Cutter to have him do a visual comparison of them for you.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
So, I think both are nice, are part of WF''s Expert Selection, meaning they''ve been pulled out by WF as being very good, and could probably do real well with either. Otherwise...both have balancing advantages..

A - these variable, relatively, may count more

#1 is an SI 1, which is generally better than SI2
#2 possibly has stronger arrows on the idealscope. I''m not a maven on reading the Idealscope. Someone who is a maven could say whether this is a) true, and b) whether they''d value the difference enough to care

B - these variables, relatively, may count less

#1 has a lower HCA score making it less liable to be "really" over 2, when accounting for measuring variation. Likewise, this one has more excellents, right...3 with one vg vs. #2 with having 1 x and 3 vg
#2 is really AGS0 vs AGS1, which may not get you anything but bragging rights, but bragging rights can have a value

These are the differences I can think of that are countable, except for the flourescense thing, which may be more significant to you, on the plus or minus side, than any of the above. Maybe you can see a diamond locally with florescence, and see what it does for you, if anything. Then, when you go clubbing, and it has an even slight glow, you''ll anticipate how you''ll feel about that.

Good shopping, and Happy New Year!

zpk123

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input so far.
I''ve been looking at other Expert Recommended items on WF, what do you guys think about this one compared to the prior 2 i''ve listed:

#3: $11694
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.558
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.8
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin-Med./Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.54-7.56X4.59

First it''s an AGS certificate. but it''s a color H as compared to the E on the other, but a higher clarity (VS1).
I am having second thoughts on SI clarity. Even though u can''t see it with the naked eye, it does show pretty significant blemishes with a microscope/loupe. The trade off is a E vs. H color.
What are your preferences??

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zpk123
#3 would be my choice .ex combo H VS1 with ideal proportions.ask WF for more detial,IS ,sarin report.

zpk123

Rough_Rock
Looking at the report on the ''new AGS0 2005'' report. Wouldn''t #1 fit in that category. It''s not considered ''ideal'' because it''s a much shallower cut, but still gets a very good HCA rating.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Although any of these might be lovely, since you''re drawn (no surprise) to WF, and maybe especially their Expert Selection...unless you''re under a time crunch (and who isn''t), you might cue them up, and consider looking (and have them looking with you) for an F or G VS2.

Just a thought. Othewise, though sympathetic between #1 & #3...to #1, any of the 3 would be lovely I''m sure.

Best of wishes,

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
From looking at the IS, I would suspect that #3 was cut to be an ACA and for some reason, Brian Gavin felt it didn''t quite make the cut. Tho I can''t for the life of me see why! It''s got very close tolerances on the angles and the girdle, and the IS really pops.

I vote #3!
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Seeing PQ''s comments, I went to look. Maybe she''s the IS maven you need! #3 is remarkably, and attractively red, wall to wall.

So, I do wonder about the difference between ACA new line vs...what had preceeded it, how that difference is represented both in look, and then IS image. One of them allows more scintillation, and so places strategical leakage at the edges, which is somewhat more like options #1 & #2 ... although they seemed to leak a little in other places, too, which is why PQ has the comments she has, right?

Anyway, based on cut over color, I''m newly sympathetic, without yielding on a mild preference for a lower color, if you''ve got the time.

By the way, PQ, welcome back. I''m semi new here (from July), and hope to be leaving...any minute now. Have you been away for fun, profit? Can you teach me how to get away, too?

Happy New Year to you both, and all.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing nice about all 3 being from one vendor you can contact them and make arrangements for them to pull those 3 diamonds out and discuss them on the phone with you.
Also ask if they have any others in the same range they would recomend.
Often times there are diamonds on hand that havent made it on the website yet.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2004 12:44:58 AM
Author: Regular Guy
Seeing PQ''s comments, I went to look. Maybe she''s the IS maven you need! #3 is remarkably, and attractively red, wall to wall.

So, I do wonder about the difference between ACA new line vs...what had preceeded it, how that difference is represented both in look, and then IS image. One of them allows more scintillation, and so places strategical leakage at the edges, which is somewhat more like options #1 & #2 ... although they seemed to leak a little in other places, too, which is why PQ has the comments she has, right?

Anyway, based on cut over color, I''m newly sympathetic, without yielding on a mild preference for a lower color, if you''ve got the time.

By the way, PQ, welcome back. I''m semi new here (from July), and hope to be leaving...any minute now. Have you been away for fun, profit? Can you teach me how to get away, too?

Happy New Year to you both, and all.
I could wish it were for profit,.......... But no, it was for kids. An unusually hectic fall with 3 teens. Two learning to DRIVE!!
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results