shape
carat
color
clarity

WF Custom Copy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ordieth

Rough_Rock
Ok. I talked with WF today about buying my center stone, and they informed me that they do purchase the vatche setting I so love
30.gif
. This was very exciting, however, they stated that if I did purchase the setting from vatche, that any warranties from either company would end up being "void" (that''s the easiest way to put it). So to help me out, they are willing to create a custom copy of the vatche setting with 2 .25 ACA stones, and my center stone for about 1k less then I was planning on paying.
22.gif

I know a lot of people have had good experiences with WF, so I am wondering, has anyone ever done this before? Is this something that should scare me, or have I just stumbled onto one of those "good" things that happen in life?
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well it depends.

a copy is just that...a copy of the original...NOT the original. chances are they have to modify the setting a certain percentage to not infringe upon trademarks and copyrights, so the setting won't be EXACT. if you are fine with making some small changes, then by all means do it. but it won't BE the original so you should know that up front.

i saw a vatche royal crown this weekend at a retailer and also their version of the RC. the differences were small but there. so it really just depends on how much you want the original flat out or if you don't mind changes. some people don't mind something that looks very close. but other people end up disappointed in the end that it's not the original. so just make sure you go in with eyes wide open so your expectations are realistic.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 2:08:25 PM
Author:Ordieth
Ok. I talked with WF today about buying my center stone, and they informed me that they do purchase the vatche setting I so love
30.gif
. This was very exciting, however, they stated that if I did purchase the setting from vatche, that any warranties from either company would end up being 'void' (that's the easiest way to put it). So to help me out, they are willing to create a custom copy of the vatche setting with 2 .25 ACA stones, and my center stone for about 1k less then I was planning on paying.
22.gif

I know a lot of people have had good experiences with WF, so I am wondering, has anyone ever done this before? Is this something that should scare me, or have I just stumbled onto one of those 'good' things that happen in life?
33.gif
Really? I didn't buy Vatche, but I did buy a stone from WF and a setting from Jeff Cooper. WF said they could "make that setting." When I pressed further, stating that I really liked it exactly, they said they would have to make modifications. I opted to get the Jeff Cooper setting, and no one ever said anything about warranties being void. I did wonder why all the vendors I worked with seemed to want to make custom settings for me, and started a thread a while back. It's not a long thread, but oldminer had a pretty succinct answer for me. You can find it here

I believe custom work is not returnable in any way, so keep that in mind. Personally with something like the Vatche, I would buy the original...why go custom when you like the original, and in the case of the trellis setting (don't know if this is the one you want), there are so many similar settings out there.

ETA - just thought a little more and am wondering if you meant if whiteflash sets the stone, vatche will void their warranty. If vatche sets it, the stone is not insured? I thought that in the past WF set stones in vatche? Or maybe I am thinking GOG. Either way, I don't recall there being too much of an issue with people getting their settings in the past and having diamonds set...

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
just tried to post, but it didn''t work.......

I think I recall a recent case where someone bought a stone and Vatche setting from GOG....I believe the procedure used (in order to maintain the warranties) was for the stone to be sent to Vatch for setting and then back to GOG for inspection before the client received it........

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ordieth,

The custom creation will be a three stone trellis ring similar to the other design, but for the reasons Mara outlined above it will not be an exact copy: Designer jewelry pieces are the creative property of the artist. We can create a piece inspired by a style you have in mind (or a design of your own imagination), but we won’t create an exact duplicate of another's work. If someone is committed to having that specific piece we suggest they purchase the original.

Best regards,

Ordieth

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:05:25 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Hi Ordieth,

The custom creation will be a three stone trellis ring similar to the other design, but for the reasons Mara outlined above it will not be an exact copy: Designer jewelry pieces are the creative property of the artist. We can create a piece inspired by a style you have in mind (or a design of your own imagination), but we won’t create an exact duplicate of another''s work. If someone is committed to having that specific piece we suggest they purchase the original.

Best regards,

So... Does that mean that we could change some aspects?
21.gif
And if we do, will I still be able to see it through all the creation stages? Will I get to go through the same process as everyone else? (the wax mold, etc...)
33.gif

If I get a chance to change it, that would be very exciting! (however, I am not exactly sure what changes must be made to create a unique ring....)
34.gif

Thank you all for the input, I am very excited about all of this.
36.gif

I have been very busy today, and my mind isn''t working as well as I would like, so I do appologize for any basic, or simple, questions that I Should have asked... I need to take a step back and think rationally.
23.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:18:20 PM
Author: Ordieth

So... Does that mean that we could change some aspects?
21.gif
And if we do, will I still be able to see it through all the creation stages? Will I get to go through the same process as everyone else? (the wax mold, etc...)
33.gif
Sure. You’ll see the entire custom process; wax included.

As a historical note, the design which inspired Vatche’s Truffle was introduced by another manufacturer around 15 years ago. It was called the Trellis (and usually set with LK diamonds). This is why we refer to similar current designs as trellis rings.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF has worked with Wink in the past to get an ACA set in a vatche setting.
The Vatche warrenty was in effect through Wink and the WF upgrade option was intact.
Winks website is http://www.winkjones.com
You will likely have to do some email work to make the arrangements but I dont see why it couldnt be done again as long as Wink is willing.

Far as that goes Wink sells diamonds every bit as good as what WF sells if that dont work out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results