shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the builders are in! So far they have been stripping out. All that beautiful parquet has been pulled up (& many blocks cracked due to being tarred in), all pipes from across walls & up through ceilings are gone, radiators removed, carpets gone, fireplaces out, internal secondary glazing panels across the windows are off - it's exciting! They're half way through removing roof tiles from the Courtyard, as the big machines arrive next week to pull it down.

PXL_20221007_150729423.MP~3.jpg

PXL_20221007_150555359~2.jpg

PXL_20221007_150526001~2.jpg

PXL_20221007_145548441~2.jpg

PXL_20221007_145417354~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_145941172~2.jpg
    PXL_20221007_145941172~2.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20221007_150209804~2.jpg
    PXL_20221007_150209804~2.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 51

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And slowly we are seeing glimpses of layers of ancient wallpapers :kiss2:

PXL_20221007_145514890~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_145608448~2.jpg
    PXL_20221007_145608448~2.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20221007_150301328~2.jpg
    PXL_20221007_150301328~2.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 57

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so interesting and enjoyable to follow along on your renovation/refurbishment -- thank you for sharing this update!!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing, @Ally T! I've been thinking about your reno, and wondering how it was coming along. You will have a fab coffee table book when the renos are complete—before n' after pictures!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh goodness - tarred in, really?? As in they used tar to stick down the parquet floor? I suppose it's helpful if you have a water leak that it won't soak through to the level below, but a nightmare for conservation efforts no doubt!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So exciting to see the demolition but will be super exciting to see it all go back together! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love seeing the progress and the surprise “reveals”!! Thanks for allowing us to follow along!

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
so glad you posted an update. I smile when I see these—thank you sharing your journey. :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness - tarred in, really?? As in they used tar to stick down the parquet floor? I suppose it's helpful if you have a water leak that it won't soak through to the level below, but a nightmare for conservation efforts no doubt!

Yes, really! That black layer you can see over the floor with imprints of block in it, is bitumen. That's how they fitted it in those days, which is also why a lot of the block snapped being pulled out.

All of that tar now has to be literally excavated down to the slab underneath. Once they get down (about a foot deep) they will lay a new, more themal slab, then an underfloor heating system, then screed, which the new parquet will be fitted over. We've had to get an engineered floor, but it is literally identical parquet to what's been taken out.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
So excited to see an update! I love seeing all the pictures as you go through this process. Thank you for that, and I hope you post more along the way!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I love seeing the progress and the “during” pictures. Thanks for sharing! Our house is 116 years old, and I’ve been fascinated with what we’ve found when we’ve done work over the years. Your vicarage has so much history and I can’t wait to see you bring it back to life!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Ally T just looked at whole thread: what an exciting, complex, and worthwhile project! I'm glad you were able to ensure your privacy (thx Ella) and still manage to safely share. What a wonderful experience for the girls to see the process. And ponies, too! Looking forward to future installments ❣

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at those wallpapers. That's walking through time :love: Will you save some samples?

I was describing ths thread to my husband just a few days ago, before I saw the most recent updates. I showed him some of the photos as well. We're both working a ton at the moment (too much), and the various animals and humans in our lives are having more and more health issues, and sometimes I daydream about your project... A fantastical escape. In my real life I couldn't possibly do what you're doing. I can barely be bothered to empty the dishwasher. But one day I want to have time and energy to do something once-in-a-lifetime like this!! I'm going to guess that for a lot of us this is watching a fairytale come true :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at those wallpapers. That's walking through time :love: Will you save some samples?

I was describing ths thread to my husband just a few days ago, before I saw the most recent updates. I showed him some of the photos as well. We're both working a ton at the moment (too much), and the various animals and humans in our lives are having more and more health issues, and sometimes I daydream about your project... A fantastical escape. In my real life I couldn't possibly do what you're doing. I can barely be bothered to empty the dishwasher. But one day I want to have time and energy to do something once-in-a-lifetime like this!! I'm going to guess that for a lot of us this is watching a fairytale come true :love:

Aw, what a really lovely thing to say! That's made my day! I'm glad this provides some daydreaming & escape for you. But also i'm sorry you're having a rough time with work pressures & people's health. It's really important you make sure you look after yourself & take time out. You will be no use to anyone if you burn out & break down.

It's definitely not been stress free just to even get to the point of having the builders move in, so I can only imagine it'll get worse as more things are uncovered & our already many hundreds of thousands budget gets completely blown out of the water. Last Friday when the carpentry quotes arrived, I actually burst into tears. I called Mr T & I sobbed in utter shock & disbelief. BUT....! We both know in our hearts it will be worth every single drop of sweat & every single penny. It's such a beautiful house & I feel honoured to be preserving her.

As for the wallpaper, it's all pretty rotten under there. The walls have a lot of damp that needs treating, so i'm not sure I'll get any off in a decent size. I'll give it a try though!

And of course you are more than welcome to visit if you are ever in our neck of the woods!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, what a really lovely thing to say! That's made my day! I'm glad this provides some daydreaming & escape for you. But also i'm sorry you're having a rough time with work pressures & people's health. It's really important you make sure you look after yourself & take time out. You will be no use to anyone if you burn out & break down.

It's definitely not been stress free just to even get to the point of having the builders move in, so I can only imagine it'll get worse as more things are uncovered & our already many hundreds of thousands budget gets completely blown out of the water. Last Friday when the carpentry quotes arrived, I actually burst into tears. I called Mr T & I sobbed in utter shock & disbelief. BUT....! We both know in our hearts it will be worth every single drop of sweat & every single penny. It's such a beautiful house & I feel honoured to be preserving her.

As for the wallpaper, it's all pretty rotten under there. The walls have a lot of damp that needs treating, so i'm not sure I'll get any off in a decent size. I'll give it a try though!

And of course you are more than welcome to visit if you are ever in our neck of the woods!

You’re doing such a wonderful and *honest* job with the preservation, too. You and your husband clearly feel a calling for this. It’s never about keeping everything exactly as is, is it… It’s about making the place yours whilst paying homage to everything that it was before it was yours, and… Things like the new engineered floor, the taking out the old wallpaper and fireplaces, the combining bathrooms - I hope you never, ever feel guilty about those decisions!! They’re just the newest chapter in this gorgeous old girl’s life story ❤️

When I read your updates it’s so clear that you and Mr. T are exactly where you were meant to be, doing exactly what you were meant to do! And I also feel very sure that those horrific quotes (I can kind of imagine!!) will pay for themselves in pride and love… And some good wine might help with the swallowing them down in the meantime :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just like that, the main courtyard has been pulled down & the foundations are going in for my beautiful new & fairly substantial kitchen.

Also, when they started to pull away the skirting boards from the groundfloor, they found they were made from carved concrete & cemented to the walls. ACTUAL CONCRETE!?!?!! So unfortunately they took everything behind off with them, down to bare brick. That old saying "they don't build houses like they used to" pops to mind!

PXL_20221015_092248930.jpg

PHOTO-2022-10-12-08-48-46.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More progress here. We have full foundations & the steels are in for the oak trusses in the kitchen extension, plus a garage & gym block that is now having actual walls built. It's so exciting!

But more exciting than that, a couple of weeks ago whilst pulling out the old linen cupboards upstairs, the builder found some balls of sheep's wool insulation, two old negatives & a really old photo. One negative is of a house we don't recognise from any in the surrounding villages & one of an old church without a roof. The photo shows two very smartly dressed chaps in Bowler hats on a beach. The picture has 1910 on the back in pencil, but no mention of location.

PXL_20221017_125357847~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221017_125437951~2.jpg
    PXL_20221017_125437951~2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20221017_125422982~2.jpg
    PXL_20221017_125422982~2.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! How fascinating! These old images really kindle my curiosity. The old house looks so beautiful. I suppose it could anywhere in the country, perhaps someone brought the photo/negative from their previous home? Or a childhood home? Heh! It's all speculation, though, hmm?

So happy for you that your home is rising up from the ground! :)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! How fascinating! These old images really kindle my curiosity. The old house looks so beautiful. I suppose it could anywhere in the country, perhaps someone brought the photo/negative from their previous home? Or a childhood home? Heh! It's all speculation, though, hmm?

So happy for you that your home is rising up from the ground! :)

The Clergy used to be very prominent members of society here at that time, mingling with the wealthy, famous & royalty. They would often be invited to stay at Country piles or castles etc, so this house could be anywhere. We're presuming from the size & style of the negatives that they are around the same date as the photograph. Perhaps one of the chaps in the picture took them.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Late to this thread but WOW. I cannot wait to see this all said and done, it's incredible.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this is so cool. I'd have those negatives printed into B & W matte finished photos and frame & hang them together somewhere in the building, a narrow stairwell wall of a little niche of a hallway.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is so cool. I'd have those negatives printed into B & W matte finished photos and frame & hang them together somewhere in the building, a narrow stairwell wall of a little niche of a hallway.

This is a perfect idea! We can put them somewhere up the servants staircase at the back. It's narrow & plain & boring, so would add a nice focal point.

Gemzy

Rough_Rock
More progress here. We have full foundations & the steels are in for the oak trusses in the kitchen extension, plus a garage & gym block that is now having actual walls built. It's so exciting!

But more exciting than that, a couple of weeks ago whilst pulling out the old linen cupboards upstairs, the builder found some balls of sheep's wool insulation, two old negatives & a really old photo. One negative is of a house we don't recognise from any in the surrounding villages & one of an old church without a roof. The photo shows two very smartly dressed chaps in Bowler hats on a beach. The picture has 1910 on the back in pencil, but no mention of location.

PXL_20221017_125357847~2.jpg

The image of the two gents on a beach is, I'm pretty certain, taken at Kynance Cove in Cornwall. The large rocks around there are named, think this is Lion Rock.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The image of the two gents on a beach is, I'm pretty certain, taken at Kynance Cove in Cornwall. The large rocks around there are named, think this is Lion Rock.

That's amazing! Shall have a mooch around & try to find some images of the rocks!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
How great is this?! One image kinda-sorta solved! :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results