shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tracking my steps has let me know I'm too sedentary. I get in only between a mile and 3 miles tops. In the past I've noticed that when my minimum is 3 miles I start losing weight.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Losing weight is a very hard thing to do..it takes a bunch of determination and you do alot of starving, when I went into this 3 years ago I decided to make a lifestyle change not a diet...to succeed you have to really want it and have to stay focused...I cheat and I fall off the eating wagon...heck you have to otherwise you will fail...but you have to get back on that wagon and get right back at the next day..you can do it...just look at the weight loss in small increments...like you start at lets say 200 lbs...you shoot for 195 lbs...then go on the next 5 lbs..I think of losing weight in 5 lb increments....as a FYI my highest weight was 206 about 10 years ago....but I always stayed around 195-198 for years...until 3 years ago..

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Time to join this thread....I'm 5'7 and my weight has fluctuated from 120-165lbs in my adult life. As of yesterday's weigh in, I was 145lbs. I'm trying to nip the middle age weight gain in the bud. I've noticed an 8 lb weight gain in the past year, and it is all in my mid section. Need your support to bring weight down to mid 130's where I feel most comfortable with my appearance. Thanks for listening and keeping me accountable! I'd like to lose these 8-10 lbs by Thanksgiving
I hear you @jaysonsmom. I'm trying to kick that "surprise, you're 45" and I have a gift of an extra 8 pounds for you! Pre-menupausal weight gain and bloating is so fun! I'm finding all my friends are discovering the SAME thing! Calories are limited so eat only what will do good things for your body!! That is my mantra. Eat when hungry but eat only good things.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't have to do so much starvation, if you're willing to do lots of exercise...

Here is a very interesting way of losing weight. It's the hardest way but the healthiest way. Ain't that always the way?? http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

And a basal metabolic resting rate calculator: http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr

So basically you want to conserve muscle and only lose fat. It's a long article, but in order to lose fat not muscle - and therefore be toned and tight - you eat all the calories you need to maintain yourself if you were just lying in bed all day (your basal metabolic rate) - and those calories are usually a higher amount than you have on a diet. BUT the catch is that you have to create your deficit mostly by daily exercise.

You knew there was a catch!!!

Example to summarize:
So, for me, my resting basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories I need to survive if I'm lying in a coma, say - is 1600.

In a sedentary lifestyle, I burn an extra 200 a day. So I burn 1,800 calories a day.

I need to create a deficit of 500 cals a day, which I can do by shaving off 200 cals (so eating only my maintenance calories) plus a deficit of 300-500 cals a day via exercise.

Therefore, I have approx a daily calorie deficit of 500 cals but I'm still eating 1600 per day, and most of the deficit comes from exercise. The extra food maintains my muscle and I only (in theory) lose fat.

Big commitment to exercise! Not sure if I can do it, but it's an interesting idea for whose who don't want to feel deprived and who have no problem fitting in an almost-daily workout. You'd need to do lots of muscle lifting, not just cardio.

It's the same as anything else in life, isn't it? The proper way/best way to do something is also the hardest way, but has the most payoffs. I want to try and do this because I do NOT want to be slim yet untoned and flabby.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to everyone who wants to join us!! Yay!!

I'm doing a Saturday weigh-in every week. Feel free to do the same! It creates a good online record, too.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, we are not doctors so we cannot tell you what to do to lose the weight. If you have no clue at all what to do, please start with a visit to your doctor. And for weight loss tips I would recommend reading this thread. Good luck!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your reply Jambalaya.. Now fix a meeting with my doctor.
Yes definitely start with the annual check up to make sure you're ok to adjust your diet and adopt an exercise plan.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok weight check in:
1a8.2

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, we are not doctors so we cannot tell you what to do to lose the weight. If you have no clue at all what to do, please start with a visit to your doctor. And for weight loss tips I would recommend reading this thread. Good luck!

Yep! Definitely not doctors and each body is different so even if we were it is still best to chat with your own doctor!

New friends are always welcome to share and learn together here! So chat with your doctor to know what is right for you and come talk with us to keep motivated!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evil scale!

I weighed myself (first time in a week) and it said the battery was low. Okay, I have a minute so pull out a new battery for it. How does it thank me? It adds 6 pounds to the number it gave me just 5 minutes earlier! :doh:

P

PierreBear

I hope this is the right place to ask this type of question. Has anyone experienced bloating? I'm used to water retention when it's the wrong time of the month. However, I feel like when I do long extensive periods of working out (usually long bike ride or other cardio exercises), I'm very heavy on the scale. The worse that has happened was being 5 lbs heavier than usual and then the next two few days or so, the water weight would be eliminated. However, it still is a bit startling! Thoughts on the science behind this? I feel like my body might be in "shock" or just trying to "adapt" to all this hard work to perform. But I'm no DR and would appreciate some guidance!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this is the right place to ask this type of question. Has anyone experienced bloating? I'm used to water retention when it's the wrong time of the month. However, I feel like when I do long extensive periods of working out (usually long bike ride or other cardio exercises), I'm very heavy on the scale. The worse that has happened was being 5 lbs heavier than usual and then the next two few days or so, the water weight would be eliminated. However, it still is a bit startling! Thoughts on the science behind this? I feel like my body might be in "shock" or just trying to "adapt" to all this hard work to perform. But I'm no DR and would appreciate some guidance!

Yes! I don't know exactly how come, but I have had similar. It seems to go away when I drink plenty of water and keep going every day with the exercise.
I am curious what others say because I still get this sometimes.

P

PierreBear

Yes! I don't know exactly how come, but I have had similar. It seems to go away when I drink plenty of water and keep going every day with the exercise.
I am curious what others say because I still get this sometimes.

Glad I'm not the only one. Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, the more your exercise the more you bloat right? I did a long workout on Saturday and then in the evening did something short. Sunday morning did another workout. Sunday afternoon did another one. Sounds a bit crazy but just squeezing in some training for a race before company comes into town. Once I rested and didn't have anything back to back, then the bloating started to go away.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I had a few cheat days this week and it shows. 196lb. Last week was 193. Must do better!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad I'm not the only one. Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, the more your exercise the more you bloat right? I did a long workout on Saturday and then in the evening did something short. Sunday morning did another workout. Sunday afternoon did another one. Sounds a bit crazy but just squeezing in some training for a race before company comes into town. Once I rested and didn't have anything back to back, then the bloating started to go away.
Yes, I have experienced the same thing. I retain a lot of water after very long runs. The more endurance exercises you do, longer than 2 hours of training, I think the body wants to retain water and glycogen, which causes bloating. It's in shock. Why the hell did you completely deplete me of glycogen? So it starts to hang on to it just in case. When I am marathon training, I gain weight. Also, i eat a lot more. I haven't been in training mode for a while, and I'm just putting on pounds because I am a bit more lax about what I eat, and I think my metabolism has slowed down as I am hitting menopause. And I am working out less. That will get you the extra pounds in no time.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't have to do so much starvation, if you're willing to do lots of exercise...

Here is a very interesting way of losing weight. It's the hardest way but the healthiest way. Ain't that always the way?? http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

And a basal metabolic resting rate calculator: http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bmr

So basically you want to conserve muscle and only lose fat. It's a long article, but in order to lose fat not muscle - and therefore be toned and tight - you eat all the calories you need to maintain yourself if you were just lying in bed all day (your basal metabolic rate) - and those calories are usually a higher amount than you have on a diet. BUT the catch is that you have to create your deficit mostly by daily exercise.

You knew there was a catch!!!

Example to summarize:
So, for me, my resting basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories I need to survive if I'm lying in a coma, say - is 1600.

In a sedentary lifestyle, I burn an extra 200 a day. So I burn 1,800 calories a day.

I need to create a deficit of 500 cals a day, which I can do by shaving off 200 cals (so eating only my maintenance calories) plus a deficit of 300-500 cals a day via exercise.

Therefore, I have approx a daily calorie deficit of 500 cals but I'm still eating 1600 per day, and most of the deficit comes from exercise. The extra food maintains my muscle and I only (in theory) lose fat.

Big commitment to exercise! Not sure if I can do it, but it's an interesting idea for whose who don't want to feel deprived and who have no problem fitting in an almost-daily workout. You'd need to do lots of muscle lifting, not just cardio.

It's the same as anything else in life, isn't it? The proper way/best way to do something is also the hardest way, but has the most payoffs. I want to try and do this because I do NOT want to be slim yet untoned and flabby.
Even if you exercise like a crazy person, you still need to make sure you eat healthy stuff, and not over eat. You're right. There is no easy way, just the disciplined way.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A day late but I am 256.6 today. Not as bad as I feared. I had a day of fun with a friend who is moving around the world. Started with espresso and ice cream and moved to corned beef hash, wine tasting, grilled cheese, and Starbucks.

P

PierreBear

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. I retain a lot of water after very long runs. The more endurance exercises you do, longer than 2 hours of training, I think the body wants to retain water and glycogen, which causes bloating. It's in shock. Why the hell did you completely deplete me of glycogen? So it starts to hang on to it just in case. When I am marathon training, I gain weight. Also, i eat a lot more. I haven't been in training mode for a while, and I'm just putting on pounds because I am a bit more lax about what I eat, and I think my metabolism has slowed down as I am hitting menopause. And I am working out less. That will get you the extra pounds in no time.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I am training for a long endurance race that might take me 14 to 15 hours to complete so my trainings have gone longer than what my body is accustomed to. I thought thought that if I was eating nutrition every 45 mins to refuel the body, it would be enough? Any suggestions on reducing the effects or is it just something to get comfortable with?

If I am thinking correctly, didn't you qualify for Boston in the past? Simply amazing! Hope you are still doing some fun runs here and there but I do enjoy just not having and raves planned for a season to just relax and use that extra time on other past times. Have a great day!

Greys0n

Rough_Rock
get a personal trainer, he will motivate you

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So just checking in. I weigh 137. I starting drinking more water and walking minimum 10k steps a day. I also found someone who is going to start jogging with me beginning next week.
We are planning on doing one if those couch to 5K apps.
She has more experience than I do because she belongs to our local triathlon club but she said she hasn't run since last fall so I'm hoping she'll go easy on me.
Hoping that in a month I'll lose at least five pounds and more importantly lose some of my midriff area bc that's where I feel I need the most help.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always had a weight problem. I have dieted all my life. I have lost and gained the same weight many times. I have been thin and I have been obese. Once I was up to 240 pounds. Recently I have weighed less than I have since my lowest weight as an adult (in 1993 when my daughter was a year old). Then I weighed 120 pounds. (I was 5' 5"' tall then. Now I have shrunk to 5' 2".)

Now I have gone down as low as 112 pounds although I am usually 113. Many people tell me I look too thin. Some use the word "emaciated" or hug me and say that they can feel my bones. I had chosen a lovely baby pink dress (size 4) for my father's "celebration of life" a couple of weeks ago and thought I looked good, however. I even found a matching sweater on eBay. Then a woman there told me I should "gain 15 pounds and grow some boobs". I have lost all the weight I need to, and am exercising, but it apparently isn't true that you can never be to thin or too rich!

Deb :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, if you are five feet two and you weigh 112 or 113lb, then you have a BMI of 20.5 or 20.7 which is firmly in the healthy range. Underweight is anything below 18.5. Are you sure there's not a tinge of green in those comments? I bet you look fab.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done on everyone's weight loss!

I'm having a better week than last week, but not perfect. I find it easier to stick to a diet when I'm exercising.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My weigh in this week is 129.5, the same as last week....so I must do better...still have at least 9.5 lbs to go to reach my goal....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, if you are five feet two and you weigh 112 or 113lb, then you have a BMI of 20.5 or 20.7 which is firmly in the healthy range. Underweight is anything below 18.5. Are you sure there's not a tinge of green in those comments? I bet you look fab.

Thank you for the information, Jambalaya. I have seen where my weight and height fit onto a BMI chart before, but was never given a number the way you gave me one. I just came away from a website with lots of charts and that was helpful. i am not going to let people scare me anymore. I would have to be 103 pound to be considered underweight, and that is ten pounds less than I am!

Moreover, there are some charts for "body type". People with smaller bones do not "have to" weigh as much as people with larger bones to have normal weights for their builds. My bones are tiny. That is why I get "I can feel your bones" reaction from people who hug me. Not because I am underweight; because my bones are so delicate and my size is so small. Even when I was taller people told me I was "petite". I need specially sized bracelets.

I am sure I would look even more "fab" if I could "grow some some boobs", but that has never been within my power. I think it is unreasonable to expect me to do that and i do not want implants. If I ever do any plastic surgery, there are many other things I would do before I did that!

Deb :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, this is why God invented Victoria's Secret.

Seriously. Their padded bras work wonders. It's not just that they're padded, they're padded into a youthful shape. I thought the place was just for teenagers, but noooo....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, this is why God invented Victoria's Secret.

Seriously. Their padded bras work wonders. It's not just that they're padded, they're padded into a youthful shape. I thought the place was just for teenagers, but noooo....

Oh, my dear friend! Did you think I could have existed this long if I had not been using Victoria's Secret? Of course I have! The problem is that when I was fitted for a bra (by my godson's wife, who managed a series of VS stores in Connecticut for many years), I was heavier and had some more-although not much more-in the breast department. All of my bras are 36C or 34C cups, although I never filled the C part out. When I went to the "Celebration of Life" event in my new size 4 dress it pressed me into my actual shape. I am now probably about 32 or 34 inches around the bust and an A cup. The C cup bra got compressed by the dress and didn't do its job. It's pretty much no use. I always wear the padded VS bras, but I have a chest like a boy's now.

Maybe Matata would like to share some of what she has....:wink2:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I underestimated you, Deb!

Chicken fillets?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
195 today, so 1lb lost from last week - but my chest is full of water, so I think I've probably lost a little more.

Could be better, could be worse. I really need to find the time to get to the gym, which is difficult.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results