carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
I am having nerves about the Gtg in Chicago bc of my weight.

Jambalaya|1488808098|4137068 said:
Oh no, Pinto! Don't feel like that! Everyone will love and accept you for who you are, and if they don't, they're not worth it. You don't want to waste even five minutes talking to shallow people who might judge you for your weight. I was reading a thread on a different forum that said being overweight was a great ******* filter!

OMG Pinto!!!! I'm with Jamabalaya! Please don't feel like that. If people judge you so superficially they aren't worth anything at all and what do you care about people who are awful, mean, petty, poor, excuses for a human being people? I love what Jamba said about being overweight being a great ******* filter. Amen to that!

I always say there was a good reason certain things happened in life i.e. my dh having to reinvent himself during the recession and my leg breaking plus a few other things. And that is because it allowed me/us to see who was worthwhile in our life and who wasn't a real friend. All great ******* filters as Jamba put it.

You are a terrific person and a wonderful friend and a funny loving compassionate warm person who loves animals. The perfect person IMO!!! Love you and everyone who meets and gets to know you cannot help but fall in love with you. Remember that girlfriend OK? I insist on it! And also remember I have seen your cute tush and you have nothing to cry about. :love: :appl:

And when I see you in person I am going to whup your (very cute!) arse. 8) ;))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been so busy that I sort of quit exercising outside of work and now work very few hours so little exercise there either.

I am at 250 again :-o

Need to build healthy exercise back into my day.

I'm looking at maybe doing a fun 3 day thing the end of July and would love to drop 40 pounds by then! (That is a little under 2 pounds per week between now and the event)

That breaks down to 6 pounds by the end of March
Another 8 by the end of April.
Then 18 in May/June.
Finishing the last 8 in July.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great goal toopatient!

I'm doing something similar, we have trips planned at the end of april, beginning of may, and end of September. I've been doing low carb/keto this year and have lost ~13lbs so far. I'm hoping that by the april/may I can be down another 15 lbs, and by September I'd love to be down 50 in total.

I've never been that motivated to lose weight, I think this diet is helping because I don't feel *that* deprived. I mean, I'm eating bacon, eggs, burgers (sans bun), coffee with heavy cream, nuts, avocados, cheese etc. I can't survive on salad based diets, but this one has been easier to follow than most. Even alcohol! Wine if you plan it right, but otherwise vodka/whiskey are 0 carb. I fell off the wagon with pizza, and had to resist pecan pie and brownies (both my favourites!) but other than that, so far so good. That's usually my issue, is I can do great for a few weeks and then stuff my face with 19 donuts LOL. The cravings don't subside in those diets. THey have in this.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a great kind of diet. I never can stick with things if I feel like I really really want and just can't have.

Trips are great motivation! I know I'll be in shorts and summery clothes (easily 80+ and sometimes 100+ depending on the year). Plus all the pictures you'll be taking...

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.... back at it again and starting from 260.4 this time.

Got my fitbit account figured out. Not sure why, but my account just disappeared like they had never heard of me. Anyway, back to tracking steps. I have even been really good about tracking all food/drink for the last two days and staying within my calorie range.
Today, I actually watched the recommended calorie thing on my fitbit tracker -- it showed how many calories I should have to be within range for that point in my day. Had a healthy snack and a sweet (but surprisingly less bad than figured!) treat to nibble mid-day to stay in range of calories through the day.
It actually helped doing that. Keeping calories adding a little through the day left me less hungry.

One of my snacks was a backed gluten free cracker thing (40 for only 110 calories). I nibbled 1/4 of them then had 8 oz water then nibbled and more water.

I need to stick with it this time.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do it, TooPatient!

Like you, I am starting over. I've been 194 but this morning was randomly 196! So I haven't made much progress, but I have definitely changed my habits and I'm sure it will soon be reflected in the scale. I don't eat or crave certain things anymore, such as chocolate, wine and pasta, and I've been very good (mostly) about resisting treats at work. We have some real keen bakers on staff!

I've decided to write down every.single.calorie that I eat. It is the only way, for me. The next bad habit I need to dump is night-time snacking. I'm taking in an exrta 300 cals that way. I save some cals so I can have a large sliced apple with a cup of tea at the end of the day.

We can do it, TooPatient! If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your idea of a big sliced apple. That is a great healthy option.

I have a heart monitor on the way to keep an eye on my heart rate and also arythmia. Like a mini ekg almost. I feel like there may be an issue but the doctor hasn't found anything yet. I figure I can keep an eye and either feel better that there really is no problem or bring her data to help in figuring it out.

I also need to get that new scale. I get different numbers even just minutes apart.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very young for anything heart-related, Too Patient. Maybe it's stress? I had a lot of palpitations after a stressful event.

Gah, just had four crackers and two medjool dates when I was at my calorie limit. That's easily another 200 calories.

Breathe. Things are getting better. Those snacks used to be chocolate and then lots of crackers, cheese, and nuts in the evenings. Now we're down to a few crackers and two dates. Am determined to see everything diet-wise in a positive light. I had a few calories too many but it could have been SO much worse.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay hydrated! I've never had such scary heart "happenings" than not too long after my husband passed and I was doing a shit job eating and drinking. Now I understand the importance of hydration.

I am going to try doing yoga classes. I need to improve my posture and flexibility and I need human interaction lololol. I had the most amazing metabolism until I experienced a lot of stress/depression/anxiety.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay hydrated! I've never had such scary heart "happenings" than not too long after my husband passed and I was doing a shit job eating and drinking. Now I understand the importance of hydration.

I am going to try doing yoga classes. I need to improve my posture and flexibility and I need human interaction lololol. I had the most amazing metabolism until I experienced a lot of stress/depression/anxiety.

I loved yoga once I got into it. Enjoy! Good for mind and body.

Yeah... I really do think it is just stress messing with muscles and stuff. My doctor is just being over-cautious. I'm hoping to do minimal watching just to be sure without over doing it. (Oh, and hopefully avoid worse testing by bringing info!)

Stress? What is that? Ha!
I mean, I just made it through an insane spring quarter (two upper division CS classes and an evil evil math class that was a 300 level and a 500 level shoved into one). Plus a kid graduating high school (last minute!), out of town visitor, pneumonia, DH nearly being hospitalized, sick older kitty, two weeks running of emergency vet visits...
Stress? Hahahaha!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very young for anything heart-related, Too Patient. Maybe it's stress? I had a lot of palpitations after a stressful event.

Gah, just had four crackers and two medjool dates when I was at my calorie limit. That's easily another 200 calories.

Breathe. Things are getting better. Those snacks used to be chocolate and then lots of crackers, cheese, and nuts in the evenings. Now we're down to a few crackers and two dates. Am determined to see everything diet-wise in a positive light. I had a few calories too many but it could have been SO much worse.

Dates are so yummy but so evil! High in calories (mostly sugar). I only get them on occasion because they are just too good...

But dates and a few crackers is a lot better than before!

Have you tried Good Thins? I like the gluten free corn one. The serving size is actually pretty big. You can eat 110 calories worth and it is a big enough pile to not go back for more (and even eat just 1/2 serving and be happy).

As for chocolate, I found some dark chocolate covered cranberries (I wish I could remember where I got them or what brand!) that were super yummy and filled my want for chocolate. Relatively low sugar and a surprisingly big serving size (like 20 pieces?) for a relatively small number of calories.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved yoga once I got into it. Enjoy! Good for mind and body.

Yeah... I really do think it is just stress messing with muscles and stuff. My doctor is just being over-cautious. I'm hoping to do minimal watching just to be sure without over doing it. (Oh, and hopefully avoid worse testing by bringing info!)

Stress? What is that? Ha!
I mean, I just made it through an insane spring quarter (two upper division CS classes and an evil evil math class that was a 300 level and a 500 level shoved into one). Plus a kid graduating high school (last minute!), out of town visitor, pneumonia, DH nearly being hospitalized, sick older kitty, two weeks running of emergency vet visits...
Stress? Hahahaha!
Omg don't forget the partridge in a pear tree... have you considered cloning yourself? Have you considered project management? No project is daunting when you handle stuff like this on the fly. Seriously.

Props to you TP, seriously!!!!!!!! High five lady! You can do it!!!!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient and Jambalaya, I just stopped by to tell you girls how amazing you are for not giving up, but giving yourself the chances that you need :) Oh and please stay healthy through this journey! Make sure you get enough nutrients and proteins etc. When I needed to loose some weight after baby number two, a high protein diet was the only way I could do it. I love sweets too much, so had to avoid all carbs except veggies... LOL.
You can do this! Cheering for you!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Scandinavian! I need all the encouragement I can get.

TooPatient, I'm going to try the Good Thins and the chocolate cranberries. I've seen the latter in my local 7-11 but assumed they were dire, calories-wise. I had no idea also how sinful dates are. I felt virtuous because they're natural food not junk food, but they're still very high in calories.

Does anybody want to do a Saturday weigh-in with me? That's traditionally my weigh-day. We could post our weekly progress.

I know it's best to only weigh yourself once a week when losing weight, but I have trouble with that because I've been affected by friends who religiously weigh themselves every day and go on about it being the best way. Maybe that's good for maintenance, but I do read over and over that because of daily fluctuations discouraging you, once a week is best when losing. I think it takes 7 days for that week's loss to show up, anyway.

So, if anybody's up for a weekly Saturday weigh-in when we "meet" here and post our progress, I'd love to do that. Any takers?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we discuss the social effects of weight? I’ve had some nasty comments in my time, and people around me mention it far too much for my liking. Sometimes it’s approached from the perspective of concern for my wellbeing, but I still think it’s disrespectful. My body is my business. I feel strongly about this, to the extent that if I were slender again, I would not want to receive compliments about that. I only want to receive compliments on my personality, character, or achievements.

I was reading an article online about a celebrity who had lost weight and she said that people treat her differently. She said she couldn’t believe how entitled people felt to comment on her body and her appearance, and she said that after she lost weight, people (mainly women) reacted with the same sheer joy as if she’d had a newborn baby.

However, the comments were what was really quite upsetting. People had written stuff about intelligent people don’t let themselves get that big, and that people who are overweight are lazy, etc.

I wasn’t always overweight, but I am very much so now, and it’s been a real eye-opener into how some people view people who are overweight. I really don’t know how people can be so judgmental and horrible. I was brought up with solid values that treasure the person you are inside and that strongly disapproves of judging people by their appearances. It has been a real shock to me to realize how many people do not think in that kind, principled way, but quite the opposite.

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
I am five feet three and weigh 190 pounds. My weight has always yo-yo'd. But now I have plantar fasciitis and other ailments from being overweight. Well, I fall into the obese category, truth be told. (BMI of over 30.) My family has always been overweight too.

I can't see myself doing too much about it before the holidays, but in January would anyone be interested in a weight loss thread? We could encourage each other, and maybe check in to the thread once a month with progress updates. If so, I know it should probably be posted in the Healthy Living section, a forum I have never visited but seen the title of. Just wanted to get it ¨out there¨ here first because I don't know how active the other thread is.
I am always interested in a support system for healthy lifestyle habits and weight management. I don't have a per say "problem" regularly working out or eating healthy, but I do falter at times. Having a husband with the most efficient metabolic rate in the world does not help my efforts AT ALL! I am 5'9 and wear a size 9/10 and sometimes an 11/12 during the winter months (We don't own a scale), I'd love to be a solid size 8 with no fluctuation! I eat a grapefruit every morning, drink TONS of water daily and I subscribe to the ACV method of keeping belly fat off... All of these things are very helpful in body maintenance for me. While DH and I LOVE being active outdoors on the weekends, I also know that having a true weekly workout regime would be epic to my life and body image goals! We just moved into a new house in a different city so I really want to join a pilates/hot yoga studio as soon as I have our living space in order.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure it's a good book, but I'm perfectly happy with the way I look. I want to lose weight for health reasons. We need a book that punctures the shallowness, arrogance, prejudice and disrespect of those who discriminate on the basis of size.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure it's a good book, but I'm perfectly happy with the way I look. I want to lose weight for health reasons. We need a book that punctures the shallowness, arrogance, prejudice and disrespect of those who discriminate on the basis of size.

That's exactly what it does. It attacks our culture, language, and emphasis on weight. Not sure why you criticized it without reading it. You literally just judged a book by its cover.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said, I'm sure it's a good book.

I have my head on straight about character and personality trumping looks - if the book attacks our culture, language, emphasis on weight and looks etc it would be preaching to the converted where I'm concerned. I wish people who need to realize those lessons would read it.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Scandinavian! I need all the encouragement I can get.

TooPatient, I'm going to try the Good Thins and the chocolate cranberries. I've seen the latter in my local 7-11 but assumed they were dire, calories-wise. I had no idea also how sinful dates are. I felt virtuous because they're natural food not junk food, but they're still very high in calories.

Does anybody want to do a Saturday weigh-in with me? That's traditionally my weigh-day. We could post our weekly progress.

I know it's best to only weigh yourself once a week when losing weight, but I have trouble with that because I've been affected by friends who religiously weigh themselves every day and go on about it being the best way. Maybe that's good for maintenance, but I do read over and over that because of daily fluctuations discouraging you, once a week is best when losing. I think it takes 7 days for that week's loss to show up, anyway.

So, if anybody's up for a weekly Saturday weigh-in when we "meet" here and post our progress, I'd love to do that. Any takers?

Awesome idea. I need to get that new scale so I have a good starting point too.

Yes! Try them! The Good Thins were a bit bland at first but better than other GF options. If you can have wheat, they have other options too. I got the chocolate cranberries as a treat for DH. Was surprised when I saw the nutrition numbers. Different brands are different. You need actual cranberry and dark chocolate. Not fake gunk.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great, TooPatient! Ready for our first Saturday weigh-in tomorrow??

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this got unnecessarily hostile...

@sonnyjane that sounds like an interesting book!

Just as an overall update to this thread; I haven't lost much over the past month, but I'm down 25lbs since the end of feb. Was hoping to be lower by now, but I'm still pretty happy. Enjoying the keto diet for the most part, just really missing beer and cider!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well doe on your weight loss, telephone!

TooPatient, what's wrong with your scale?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so I'm late to this thread but would like to share that since mid Jan of this year, I have lost 23 pounds doing weight watchers online. I finally have hope for losing weight! In the past 7 years, I gained 60 pounds! And was never able to lose weight Bc I was making bad food choices! I used to work out. Do boot camp. Etc. but I never changed my bad diet. Now, I walk 10k steps a day according to my iPhone and count my points. I have learned so much and have dropped 2 sizes. I am hoping to hit my ideal weight by next January. And it's not hard. It's a lot of work, esp for someone like me who loves dining out and hates cooking. But now I spend more of my effort planning meals than working out. I hate working out. So this works for me!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go, Nala! Do you want to join in our weekly Saturday weigh-in?

Congrats on your weight loss!

What's Weightwatchers like these days? I've done it before and really liked it, but they kept changing the plan and making it more complex. I think it's changed three times since I was on it, and I just couldn't keep up as had to re-point all the food in my head. I just considered it again, but when I researched it, people said that the latest incarnation, SmartPoints, was too restrictive.

So I thought, what the hell, I'll just calorie-count. I did get my daily calorie allowance from the Weightwatchers old method though, 21 original points, which is 1470 cals a day.

The thing that makes a huge difference to me is writing it all down so I can truly see exactly where I am and whether I can "afford" a treat in the evening. Counting it all up is the only way, for me. I believe in the saying "What gets measured gets managed."

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go, Nala! Do you want to join in our weekly Saturday weigh-in?

Congrats on your weight loss!

What's Weightwatchers like these days? I've done it before and really liked it, but they kept changing the plan and making it more complex. I think it's changed three times since I was on it, and I just couldn't keep up as had to re-point all the food in my head. I just considered it again, but when I researched it, people said that the latest incarnation, SmartPoints, was too restrictive.

So I thought, what the hell, I'll just calorie-count. I did get my daily calorie allowance from the Weightwatchers old method though, 21 original points, which is 1470 cals a day.

The thing that makes a huge difference to me is writing it all down so I can truly see exactly where I am and whether I can "afford" a treat in the evening. Counting it all up is the only way, for me. I believe in the saying "What gets measured gets managed."
I had tried ww 3 years ago, but I couldn't stick to it Bc I thought it was too restrictive. At the time, the points plus were just based on calories with no regard to the actual protein content ( I think) so at least for me, a donut would fit into my day but Bc it was not nutritious and didn't take up to many points, I would choose to eat it and then I would eat again. Needless to say, I didn't lose much weight and I quit Bc I couldn't sustain the diet. This time, it's more of A lifestyle change. Sweets are way too many points. Too many so that you really have to budget for them. And while I hate this, I think this is why it has been working for me. That said, I'm taking my time to lose weight by not torturing myself. I still eat out 3 times a week. I average 4 glasses of wine a week. I don't starve myself. I've discovered all kinds of veggies and fruits. And fish. And shrimp. And I see results. So I keep at it. I only do online and pay 20 bucks a month which is nothing Bc I'm constantly using their tools. I scan my groceries. I track my food. And I have access to a community with similar goals. I hope I don't sound like I'm in a cult, lol, but I have never stuck to a program for almost 6 months and actually seen results and actually woken up happy to weigh myself!!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great, Nala! Well done on being so healthy!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, weigh-in time. 194.2 - same as the last two weeks. I need to cut out evening snacking and get to the gym. I also had a few cheat days when things got stressful, if I'm honest.

But, in the spirit of remaining positive, I have made some lasting changes to my diet - I now never eat pizza, chips, fries, any kind of fried food, and I rarely have soda. And I haven't put on any weight in the last couple of weeks.

Changes are happening, slowly. I'll get there!

Yay! Looking forward to better health and a wider choice of clothing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results