carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great work Jambalaya.

I'm kind of having an issue related to weight loss. I've lost 18 pounds this year. Nothing fits anymore, but when I try on my new "size" appropriate clothing, I don't feel comfortable in it at all so I don't buy anything new. I can't seem to make the change with confidence. So everything I have, even in a smaller size is still is too big. It's a bit daunting, and a bit depressing. I just wonder if anyone else has gone through this?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Lyra,

OK, does the new clothing that you try fit? Maybe it doesn't and that's why you feel uncomfortable? Perhaps you need another size up or down. Oh - I've re-read your post. You say your smaller clothing is still too big. Perhaps that's the issue - you need clothes that fit you better, aka a smaller size.

Alternatively, perhaps you're putting pressure on yourself to wear sexier clothing now that you're thinner, but a sexy look isn't your style? I can imagine feeling like this - that, if I was suddenly 120lb, people would expect me to "show it off" by wearing dresses and heels when I don't really like either.

If the clothing a) fits properly and b) reflects you innermost desires for your personal style, then maybe you're just having trouble adjusting to seeing yourself as smaller in your mind's eye. I can imagine that, too. I think that will go away over time, though.

If it were me, I'd go shopping for clothes that fit (so smaller than what you have, by the sounds of it) and spend time checking myself out in the changing room mirrors, and saying, "Look how this fits well. I'm a size x now. That's me."

Good luck!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started my weight loss journey almost 3 years ago...I started at 193.5, I am currently at 131.5, I am 4'11" tall....I have another 11.5 lbs to go....I want to be at 120...I have alot of losoe skin that is hanging...that is the bad part....but its all good....I look and feel so much better

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today: 257.4
June 11: 260.4

I had over 14,000 steps yesterday. Went to see Chase Bryant, Dustin Lynch, and Brad Paisley in concert! Lots of walking to get in and around the venue. Offset by the one beer I had, but still, a splurge is okay in moderation.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient - 3lb down in June! That's great! Congrats!

Luv2sparkle and diamondrnglover - many congrats on your weight loss!

I weighed myself this morning and had gone up for 194.2 to 196, which is probably just a daily fluctuation and this is why we should only weigh ourselves once a week! It's demoralizing to see that higher figure even if it's just temporary. Must. Stop. Weighing. Self.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm totally kicking myself for wasting the last six months. It's summer and I could have been so much further along.

Must not be having the same thoughts at Christmas!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya -- I like every day. I enter in Fitbit tracker and it gives me a weekly average I can see. That way if my Saturday weigh in is bad, I can know if it is an offer day or a trend.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I weighed myself this morning and had gone up for 194.2 to 196, which is probably just a daily fluctuation and this is why we should only weigh ourselves once a week! It's demoralizing to see that higher figure even if it's just temporary. Must. Stop. Weighing. Self.
I stopped weighing myself and gained a bunch of weight without noticing. One day, I stepped on the scale and couldn't believe the lies it was telling me! I have lost about 35 lbs recently and I weigh myself every single morning now. If I see it go up a pound or two, I just try to eat better that day. I believe it has helped me keep the weight off.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked into how often to weigh, and daily weighing works well for some, weekly (at same time) for others. I'm definitely a weekly-weigher - I find those daily fluctuations very demotivating.

I wouldn't ever weigh less than weekly - the weight would creep on, for me.

I'm considering joining Weightwatchers but not doing their plan. Bear with me...there's a meeting right near my work at a convenient time. My daily calorie allowance is based on WW, and if I calorie-count instead of point-count, does it make any difference? If I sign up for their meeting program, I will get social support and real-life accountability.

It's a thought...

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient - your technology sounds very efficient!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient - your technology sounds very efficient!

It is just the inexpensive (Flex) that I have. Not even sure if you have to have a tracker to use the site/app. I like the average because it keeps it from showing the ups/downs as much. I can see the breakdown, but the average is there too and I can just watch the average drop (or not) each week.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I weigh myself once a week on Friday's...I tend to eat more on the weekends and then it takes me all week to lose it...if I wouldn't eat as much on the weekends it might not have taken me 3 years to lose the weight lol...but it's a system that works for me..now this week I probably will not get on the scales, its been a 4 day drink fest here....lots of parties..I have eaten too much and drank to much...but I will get back at it....my son is getting married on Aug 5th and the dress I bought is a size 10...I have no room in that dress to gain any weight......

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I looked into how often to weigh, and daily weighing works well for some, weekly (at same time) for others. I'm definitely a weekly-weigher - I find those daily fluctuations very demotivating.

I wouldn't ever weigh less than weekly - the weight would creep on, for me.

I'm considering joining Weightwatchers but not doing their plan. Bear with me...there's a meeting right near my work at a convenient time. My daily calorie allowance is based on WW, and if I calorie-count instead of point-count, does it make any difference? If I sign up for their meeting program, I will get social support and real-life accountability.

It's a thought...
Weight Watchers is what I have done/am doing now. In 2010 after having my second baby it worked really well for me. I lost 30 pounds. I went to the meetings every week and the weight came off quickly.But one day I stopped doing it and gained it all back, plus some.
I don't attend meetings now, but remember how to do it from last time, I have all my old guidebooks and the internet to help me know the points of different foods. I didn't think I could do it without attending the meetings. But it has been working so far for me. I write down everything I eat in a notebook everyday.
The plan really works. I would highly recommend weight watchers to anyone looking to lose weight.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WW has worked for me in the past, but it was a very old plan. I tried it again and they changed the plan several more times. I read that the current plan is too restrictive. Anyway, I got so fed up with all the changes that I decided to just calorie count. I might go to the meetings for social contact and accountability, though.

I peeked at my weight this morning and it was a very bad idea. I'm 2lb up from Saturday. My WW leader always said that weight loss takes 7 days to show, and I've had success with weekly weighing before so will stick with that. I can't take the deep demotivation from these daily fluctuations.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn't have a great weekend weight-loss-wise.

If there's one thing it's taught me, I have to track my calories. It's the only thing that keeps me accountable. I didn't track them over the weekend and ended up nibbling and snacking on nuts, dates, and figs. I think I went way over.

Once overweight, you have to create quite a calorie deficit to lose instead of stay the same. Man, it's hard work and requires focus.

On the plus side, I had no chocolate, pasta, and resisted the July 4th pizza at our local party. That is a big behavior change for me.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had five pieces of black forest cake yesterday. The rest was healthy -- skipped the pasta, fried chicken, and fatty meats. Had salad, veggies, fresh melon. They were small pieces, but still... The last three were with the baker. She was sad no one ate her cake. Wanted more and offered me... I didn't want to say no. (Need to say no!)

Had a healthy breakfast today, no time for lunch, little healthy snack, chicken/cabbage/tomatoes for dinner.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, I did a similar thing - our intern at work baked some brownies and she's very shy and insecure, so I had to have some. One thing led to another...

Are you ready for our weigh-in tomorrow?

Anyone else want to join the Saturday weigh-in?

I've had four not-so-good days and three good days (assuming today ends up being a good day too) but my chest is filling up with water, so I don't think I'll have a great result. (I have two weeks of sore breasts full of fluid each month.)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did my weigh in today...I lost another pound, current weight 130.5., 10.5 lbs to go to reach my ideal weight:dance:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I try very hard to only weigh myself once a week. I had an obsessive need to check my weight that went from once a week to once a day to 3-4 times a day. It was taking over my life in a very unhealthy way. So even though it kills me, I only weigh myself on Friday mornings. We all know how the body fluctuates but it's hard when you keep looking at it and beating yourself up over it. It's easier, for me, to stay positive by only comparing it to the previous week's weigh in.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I weigh myself once a week on Friday's...I tend to eat more on the weekends and then it takes me all week to lose it...if I wouldn't eat as much on the weekends it might not have taken me 3 years to lose the weight lol...but it's a system that works for me..now this week I probably will not get on the scales, its been a 4 day drink fest here....lots of parties..I have eaten too much and drank to much...but I will get back at it....my son is getting married on Aug 5th and the dress I bought is a size 10...I have no room in that dress to gain any weight......

This is me!!! I have a great love of food (usually the unhealthy kind :lol:). The only way I can get through the week of healthy meals is by knowing I can eat whatever I want on the weekends. As long as I don't go overboard, I still lose weight.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
193 today. I've lost some despite only sticking to the diet for three days this week and not going to the gym, and being premenstrual!

Yay! Been stuck at 194 for weeks!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
193 today. I've lost some despite only sticking to the diet for three days this week and not going to the gym, and being premenstrual!

Yay! Been stuck at 194 for weeks!

Great job! That is awesome!

I need to get to the scale today. May end up weighing tomorrow though. I am so sick. Can barely move with the sinus, sore throat, and nausea. Just a bad reaction to a bunch of dust and stuff I had to deal with this last week.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, TP!

Sorry to hear that you're sick. Is it allergies?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. Allergies are miserable. Mine got hit hard Thursday and I'm trying to get them back under control.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had them badly a few weeks ago. They really are very miserable. Hope you get well soon!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feeling v. good about my diet today! It's one of those days where I'm not finding it hard. I will kick this weight! I'm fed up with being one of the biggest people I know - at work, at the swimming pool, in a given group gathering. I can look so much better than this, I know I can, and I have many nice clothes from my thinner days that I've kept but can't wear.

I will get there!

I find that relentless positivity has really helped. Whether I've had a bad day diet-wise or whether there's not much movement on the scale, I always find some good in it and point my face to the future, instead of beating myself up. This surely must be a great lesson to apply in other areas of life, too!

If nothing else, I remind myself that being very overweight might sometimes feel like an insurmountable problem, but actually, with determination, you can make a VISIBLE difference in just a few short months. Sometimes the weight feels intractable, as if it will never come off, and you are going to be solid and heavy forever...but this is not true. You can even achieve a visible difference in just a few weeks. Fat feels permanent, but mostly it can actually be VERY temporary, with enough determination (assuming no underlying health problems).

I've been trying for years, and once I got down to 137lb, but was mostly at about 160. I haven't always been as heavy as I am now - this is just in the last 3-4 years. But I never tried hard enough, wasn't disciplined enough, frankly didn't care enough to do it.

For me, at least, weight loss takes FOCUS. It's ALL about mental focus. I can't just forget about food and eat only what I need for fuel, and watch it melt off. I need to track every calorie while losing because I go over very easily - love sweet, salty, fatty stuff.

You have to create quite a sizeable deficit every day while losing. No wonder it's hard. But I am going to DO THIS!

ETA: My top weight was 204, so I've lost 11lb and am therefore thoroughly on my way!

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Time to join this thread....I'm 5'7 and my weight has fluctuated from 120-165lbs in my adult life. As of yesterday's weigh in, I was 145lbs. I'm trying to nip the middle age weight gain in the bud. I've noticed an 8 lb weight gain in the past year, and it is all in my mid section. Need your support to bring weight down to mid 130's where I feel most comfortable with my appearance. Thanks for listening and keeping me accountable! I'd like to lose these 8-10 lbs by Thanksgiving

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
I have lost 22-24 pounds in the last 109 days doing keto. I love how keto makes me feel. I don't plan on ever going back to the old way of eating.
Just learned what Keto was yesterday at the Farmer's Market. I am still baffled that eating so much fat actually works. I'm so damn skeptical but so damn curious... Everyone is like "I've lost X pounds since last week on Keto!!!" LOL

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to join this thread! I'm 44 years old, 5'3" and my current weight is 138 lbs. I've been anywhere from 117 to 143lbs in my thirties. The times I've weighed my heaviest were when I was pregnant. I haven't been pregnant since 2011!
I started walking again this week. My plan is to start with walking and then slowly transition to a slow jog! I hate running but I find when I do attempt it, I lose weight really fast.
I'm joining bc I figure if I put this out there it will make me work harder to achieve my goal.
Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results