shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely go for it on your own!! That way you never have to depend on anyone for your routine. Just stay safe! Running is the one thing I love to do alone. There was only 1 time ever that I actually enjoyed running with someone & it was during a 5k race with a girlfriend I hadn't seen in forever so we caught up (we weren't trying to win). Otherwise, I like to go by myself at my pace, listen to my tunes, and set my own goals for the run.
Thank you! Great advice. I also have an elliptical in my room and I had a hard time doing it the first few times.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of diet and exercise this week, excited to step on the scales...to be the same as last week, 194lb. I don't understand it - I've been so good this week. I am on my period, so maybe that's it. Talk about de-motivating!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: I think it must be fluid retention due to period and starting to exercise more, which does cause fluid retention, initially. I think I look better in the mirror after the last few weeks, anyway, so it must be fluid. I'm going to believe it's that, otherwise I will get demotivated. I've made so many healthy changes - no pizza, ice cream or hot dogs at all this summer, which is a huge change for me. And I have exercised, too - will try to focus on the fact that my health surely MUST have benefited, even if I'm not seeing it on the scales right now.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya think positive fluid retention and if you need to to go the "restroom" and cant will both add extra pounds on the scale eating healthier will make you feel and look better ;))

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DRL, thanks. I've done really well with my diet this week and exercised lots, so it's quite discouraging. It MUST be fluid from the time of the month and from that initial fluid retention that you get when you first start exercising. It's much easier to keep going when you see a difference on the scale each week...but these times are the hardest, when you've done really well and see no difference.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weighed myself this morning and I'm 192 - so 2lb lost this week! Guess it was just a bit of fluid retention after all! Yay!

I'm short with small bones and should be about 120 though. Man, I've got a long way to go. :(

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've made so many healthy changes - no pizza, ice cream or hot dogs at all this summer, which is a huge change for me. And I have exercised, too - will try to focus on the fact that my health surely MUST have benefited, even if I'm not seeing it on the scales right now.

Just read this and I'm so proud of you!! Good for you! You will see it on the scale soon! Just keep up the good work and before you know it - 10lb lost! If you want to get rid of a bit of water, just do less carb and more lean meat/fish/veggies :) Whenever I need to lose a bit of "holiday weight" (LOL), I like to use "myfitnesspal.com" to make sure I get enough protein etc. Hugs and good luck with all your hard work!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian, thank you so much! It's nice to have some encouragement, since I'm doign this weight loss journey on my own.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is everyone doing? I'm 192, same as last week. However, I had a couple of cheat days this week so staying the same isn't a terrible result. I'm now 12lb down from my top weight.

I also think that I'm losing body fat but possibly retaining muscle and some fluid from the workouts. The tape measure suggests I've lost more than the scales are saying. I'm very concerned with conserving/building muscle and losing only fat. So I'm trying to keep my protein high and I'm lifting heavy weights as well as doing cardio.

I have trouble getting all the protein I need to build muscle. Yesterday I had tuna for lunch, three eggs for dinner, a Muscle Milk shake, and various other small amounts, and I doubt I made it to 100g. When trying to lose weight, it's very difficult to get the 130-150g of protein that I need to build muscle.

Well, anyway. I'm doing my best. I've had zero pizza, ice cream or hot dogs this summer, I've cut way down on diet sodas, and rarely eat chocolate and pasta, although I had both those this week when I slipped. (I had a salad for lunch whose calories were wrongly labeled, only 250 cals instead of 440, and I spent the entire afternoon hungry and cross, then was so hungry I slipped and had spaghetti Bolognese for dinner.) I need to cut out cheat days and evening snacking on "healthy" stuff. Even crackers can add up.

How is everyone else doing?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice work Jambalaya! Staying the same with a cheat day is awesome. Also, I don't like when I eat something expecting one amount of calories only to end up with another when I look closer later. Being that short on calories would definitely leave you hungry!

I haven't gotten on a scale in a couple of weeks. My feet are very painful and I have lots of water retention going on. It is so bad that you can see the swelling in my feet and legs. Trying to get it cleared up. Not sure if seeing the scale would be good or bad right now. I feel so swollen and huge.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP, forgive me if I'm speaking out of line here (I'm not a doctor nor do I know anything about your health situation) but your water retention issue caught my eye. Have you tried eating watermelon since it's a natural diuretic? Just a thought--sorry if I'm being obtuse, it's not deliberate.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TP, forgive me if I'm speaking out of line here (I'm not a doctor nor do I know anything about your health situation) but your water retention issue caught my eye. Have you tried eating watermelon since it's a natural diuretic? Just a thought--sorry if I'm being obtuse, it's not deliberate.

Awesome idea! I have been taking dandelion root as it is supposed to help also. Been 5 days and so far only on/off results that are hard to know if it is the dandelion root or some other factor I haven't figured out.
Testing says heart, thyroid, liver, kidneys, etc are healthy. No explanation for water retention.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stayed at the same weight this week...I have to try a little harder this week to lose some more..I worry that I won't lose much more...I have so much excessive skin, I know that has to weigh alot...and unfortunately the only way to lose the excessive skin is by surgery...I can't afford to do that nor would I want to....I am not a fan of surgery

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient, I do hope you're OK. Hugs xxx Could the water retention be due to the summer heat, and/or too much salt? Or just the time of the month? Hopefully it's just one of those weird random things. I know you said you've had tests and all seems to be well, so I do hope it will go away.

Diamondringlover, you're in good company - I also stayed the same. We are the same together! It could have been worse - at least we didn't put on any. I know what you mean about trying harder. I do still have occasional cheat days, and it shows on the scales, and also evening snacks, which are healthy ones but nevertheless they add up.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome idea! I have been taking dandelion root as it is supposed to help also. Been 5 days and so far only on/off results that are hard to know if it is the dandelion root or some other factor I haven't figured out.

Testing says heart, thyroid, liver, kidneys, etc are healthy. No explanation for water retention.

Asparagus is what Weight Watchers taught us to use. It works extremely well. I remember once recommending it to someone who couldn't get a ring off her finger! I didn't know watermelon was also a natural diuretic, but since I am on the Atkins Diet, asparagus would be better for me (as it would have been on Weight Watchers). I am always glad to learn about the properties of food, though!!!

Deb :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh, arghh, arghhhhh!

Last week I'd had numerous cheat days, but stayed the same as the week before, 192.

This week, I didn't have a single cheat day or cheat meal and worked out three times. I'm the same - 192.

ARGHHH! Seven days of effing hard work, and for what?

OK, I know that there are reasons for it, and I know that what I see in the mirror doesn't match the scale, but now I feel completely demotivated.

I'm lifting weights ( as well as doing cardio) and drinking a protein shake after workouts in order to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss. When you lose mostly fat, you see the difference visually because fat takes up much more room than muscle. My ankles and chest feel smaller, and I look smaller in the mirror - and my hip measurement is going down.

Also, my chest has filled up with water, which it always does TWO WEEKS before my period. In addition, there is such a thing as "newbie gains" when you start lifting, which means beginners are able to put on muscle as they lose fat.

So there are reasons for the number staying the same, and I'm sure I'm losing body fat, but oh, seeing that number remain the same is just awful. Years ago I did Weightwatchers and as long as I stuck to the diet and did cardio, the number dropped by 2lb a week. But I wasn't lifting weights.

:(

Still, at least I didn't gain this week, and I'm pretty sure I'm losing body fat. Just have to try not to get hung up on the scales as long as I know I'm working hard at being healthy and losing fat. But it's so difficult to remain motivated when the scales don't budge.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought I would pop in here. I am down 30 pounds doing keto. The last few years, the eat less-exercise more thing did not work for me at all. I would literally eat 800 calories and gain two pounds. I still eat around the same amount of calories-between 1200 and 1400. Keto takes away the cravings. I don't miss bread at all- but I do make keto blueberry muffins and my whole family loves them. Eating fat is heavenly. My blood work was great and my blood pressure a lot lower. It was just starting to get a little higher. I don't exercise all that much. I now do it because I want to not because I have to to lose weight. I feel free for the first time in my life!
The thing about weight loss on keto is that it is not linear. You go down a few pounds then you might go up a couple then go down again. You just have to trust the process, it really does work, and it is glorious. If you are struggling with weight loss look into keto. It goes against everything you have been taught about how you should eat, but there is a lot of research on so many health conditions that it helps. There are a lot of book by well respected doctors explaining how the process works. Good luck to all, no matter how you are working it for yourself!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re protein - how about filet of cod? Really high in protein and low in cal.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the week I only lost a half a pound...I guess that is better than gaining and staying the same....

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I just weighed myself after eating brunch and I'm down 1.2 lbs! I'm at 1a6.0 lbs!
I went up 1.7 lbs last week but now that my period has finally started I'm down again!
1a4.7

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went up 1.7 lbs last week but now that my period has finally started I'm down again!
1a4.7
Bleh... 1a3.8 lbs. for once nerves are making my weight go down instead of up.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no change in mine this week...still at 127.5...my weight loss has messed with my thyroid meds...the doctor had me cut down on it 4 weeks ago...I was losing more weight when my thyroid level was too high...guess it slows down now that its probably closer to normal levels (I have to get another test in a week or so) :wall:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
no change in mine this week...still at 127.5...my weight loss has messed with my thyroid meds...the doctor had me cut down on it 4 weeks ago...I was losing more weight when my thyroid level was too high...guess it slows down now that its probably closer to normal levels (I have to get another test in a week or so) :wall:

Correct, but the side effects of medication that's too strong can be bad, so better safe than sorry (my doc also recently lowered my dose).

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sonnyjane yes I have had some side effects of too my thyroid, just went thru a bunch of testing on my heart and they decided it was all due to my thyroid...been on the same dosage for 40 years this is the first time it has changed...just takes some getting used to...the weight loss is worth it though

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey ladies. Just checking in. I'm 136. Gained a little but I have also been on vacation the past 2 weeks!
I tried to do my minimum 10k steps but of course there were there days I did way more and days I did very little.
I'm a little disappointmented with myself bc I don't feel I've been eating too much at all. I'm having a party this Weekend and I will be seeing a few people I haven't seen in 4-2 years.
So, I was really hoping to be a little slimmer.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've decided my metabolism is damaged. After several years of whole 30 and paleo, I have yo yo'd my body into a place where it won't lose weight for anything. My muscle mass has withered away. I'm covered in a layer of fat. I lose a few pounds with two weeks of faithful dieting but if I cheat with one meal, those pounds are back.

And all of this started with wanting to lose five pounds. I'm now 25 pounds heavier than I ever wanted to be!

I'm reading up on how to repair my metabolism and I am lifting heavy weights to gain my muscles back. I'm not worrying about weight at this time. I can't. Although I am pretty mental and not worrying about weight will be rather difficult. I just know in the long run, this will give me the body I want or maybe even my old body. At this point, I will take my 130 pound body that I wanted to be rail thin at 125.

This is my plan. I'm on a mission to possibly gain weight and repair the damage that deprivation dieting has done.

I thought I would share in case others might want to look into this for themselves as well.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone! I haven't checked in in a while! So my weight was 134.5 lbs yesterday.
I've finally started a running program. I found a group online for people who want to run but don't run. It involves walking and running intervals. I've met some people in the group already and have run with some of them.
I'm at a very slow pace compared to some of the women in the group. I found that I actually enjoy the outdoors more than being on the treadmill too.
I know I have to build up stamina and endurance, I literally walk faster than I run, but I know it comes with time.
I don't plan to run a marathon but I think being able to run a 5K would be a great achievement for me.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New scale is here. Supposed to be accurate. I figure it is a good rough idea.

I am 258 pounds today with 41% body fat and 44% water.

DH wants me to get an Apple watch to monitor my heart (the one that watches rhythm too) just for added assurance that it is healthy.

Also need to pick a new piece of exercise equipment for our home. DH's employer reimburses $800 for exercise equipment per year. May as well get something else to help me!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I join you ladies?:wavey: I see that a few of you have some thyroid issue and how losing weight/ dieting has resulted in varying the dosage on the medication you take.

I have Hashimoto's; and as mentioned on my Skincare, Health etc thread, am currently struggling with hair loss. My endocrinologist has recommended that my Eutyrox dosage be lowered. Has anyone of you ladies found your hair to fall our more than usual with your weight-loss?

Kudoes to you all for taking positive steps towards better health!:appl:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello ladies:wavey: Congrats to all of you for your great efforts to get active and healthier:appl::appl::appl:
I would like to ask your opinion on something that has been troubling me for the last two months. After i gave birth to my daughter, six years ago, i struggled with my weight. Lost a lot, then gained most of it back, then finally lost again most of it by dieting and eating healthy. All this in the course of approximately four years. A year and a half ago i still had approximately 12 pounds that i wanted to lose. I started exercising regularly by going to the gym. I would run for approximately 30 minutes, then lift weights for my entire body for an hour, then run again for 10-15 minutes. I had no problem going to the gym and completing this long workout, until i finally lost those last 12 pounds. Now i weigh 130 pounds and my height is 5.7'. Since i lost the last 6 pounds, i feel extremely weak. I don't know what's wrong with me but i don't have the strength that i used to have and i skip the gym very often, because i don't have the energy to go. This whole situation has affected my psychology too. Skipping my workouts makes me feel depressed. So its a vicious circle for me at this point :blackeye:. Any ideas as to why i feel this weak all of a sudden and what i should do to regain my strength and energy without gaining weight?
Thank you...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results