shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 8th Oct till 14th Oct

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Sarah and Lorelei for getting buff!!! Weights are great and I am doing them too.

I mowed the lawn and walked 3.5 miles; I am pooped. Hubby came home for lunch; he is too cute! It was fun to see him.
I have my sewing class tonight so I won't check in tonight so everyone have a wonderful Tuesday!!
41.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarah, I agree the treadmill going pants on me was a great thing for my workout, I was getting stagnant with the same old thing with the treddy and elliptical! Amazing that I am feeling results already, I suppose folk who have some level of fitness and have been working out a lot will perhaps get tangible results a little faster than non workouters!

We have a Weider multigym with free weights and it is excellent - has everything you need in one machine. I grabbed Hubby''s workout bible and will look up those hamstring curls and other suggestions! I have to be careful not to twist my spine, which makes core and ab exercises difficult, but I will keep looking for exercises I can do for the core - I need to get that book Rod likes!

I have just finished my workout and it went really well , did the weight routine, then 50 mins elliptical in the company of the Brady Bunch as usual!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lorelei i have been doing the training stuff and more weights for about 1.5 months now. i totally notice a difference especially in my shoulders and upper arms and some of my core for sure. also i feel like thighs are getting more defined slightly as well. don''t know if i mentioned this but my coworker recently said she thought i looked smaller now than when i started here in april, but i weigh about 6-7 more lbs than when i started. she said it must be how toned i look now. i think visually that can make you look thinner than the scale says (i also am probably carrying more muscle now as i was doing like hardly any weights then). i am really sensitive about not getting ''big'' though...i just want to be toned and lean looking. and so far am really happy with visual results!! so i think you should be able to see results within a few weeks for sure.

in terms of core and ab work, there are other exercises besides crunches...some of the machines that sarah mentioned are ones we do as well. i did one last nite as well with that big bar machine (where you pull it down in front of you or behind you)...i pulled it in front of me and lifted my chest out to meet it (without really arching back) and i could DEFINITELY feel it in my core as well. so some of the exercises for arms/back etc can also work core.

sounds like everyone is having a pretty good day...i have a few long meetings today so now i''m eating lunch at my desk to catch up on emails a bit. lunch is rosemary roasted chicken breast from whole foods (from yesterday, the breast i bought was huge and it was only 8oz, so i split it in half for yest and today) with dijon mustard on a la tortilla factory ''sonoma artisan'' tortilla (some new type) and roasted asparagus from yesterday, also from whole foods. i meant to get it to take home last nite for dinner but i left it here so now it''s a lunch veggie supplement for today and tomorrow! snacks will be fage with better n''peanut butter and splenda, and a bar of some type or maybe an apple.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Advice for STRESS REDUCTION by Modified Brilliant...

If your "crown angles" aren't within "ideal" parameters, you can still look "brilliant."

Even if you don't wear "fancy" clothes like a "princess," you can still look "radiant."

Too thick around the "girdle?" Don't worry...not everyone's
looking at your "depth percentage." Or lucky you if you have an "indented natural" or "very thin" waist.
Not to worry, you look great from any "angle."

Is there a "cloud" hanging over your "table?"
Are you "blue" about your lack of "fluorescence?"
Brighten up and know that you are "super ideal" and "a cut above."

Don't let a few "dark inclusions" ruin your day.

Dont let a few "blemishes" "cloud" your outlook on life.

Smile and know that your best friend's face is "slightly out of round" and her "ASET" is much larger than yours.

Have a great day everyone and remember..."DON'T DO STRESS
38.gif
IT'S UNHEALTHY.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hey everyone! Sounds like people are having a good week. I''m doing fine, just the usual, slow to no progress. I saw my doc today for a physical and she is going to run bloodwork next week and check my thyroid and hormones. I expect them to be fine just like last year but that will be a good reassurance (or something to fix, if something is wrong!) This is a new dr and I really like her - she seemed to take my concerns seriously and be more proactive than some I''ve been to in the past. I also met w/ a trainer yesterday to discuss my overall workout program and test my body fat. Unfortunately my bf is up 2 percentage points compared w/ last spring, but she said not to worry b/c the margin of error is 2%. I had lost 2 lb since I met w/ her last time. That''s great - two pounds in 5 months
7.gif
And that''s with monitoring my calories and working out like crazy, and competing in triathlons all season! The trainer said that based on my program and calorie count she does not understand why I am having such trouble losing weight, since I am doing all the right things. She did have some suggestions for me though, and between the trainer and the doctor I have a few new goals -

trying to add in even more weight training to my routine
eating protein at every meal
Adding some yoga or pilates into my routine to mix things up

So, that''s where I''m at... I have been feeling kinda down about my appearance lately and lack of progress.... maybe the bloodwork will turn up something, but otherwise, I will just keep plugging away!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, all....just doing a drive-by and am quite impressed by the progress everyone''s continuing to make.

Things on my end are good. Hubby is down 80 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!! and is just kicking butt. I''m still stuck, of course. Blah.
Not gaining, but not really losing either.

We went out for a bike ride yesterday - ended up doing 14 miles!!!!!!!!!! Thought Rich was trying to KILL me! LOL

It''s true about mixing it up helping, though. Rich has been struggling with boredom on the treadmill after nearly 10 months now, so the bikes are helping to break that up a bit. I tried a Yogalates class, but it''s just really not my thing. I tried Yoga years ago and thought maybe it was just the instructor I didn''t care for. Nope, it''s Yoga. I get all restless and don''t really care for it.

Not much else new to report......have a great week to all!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Al that is so awesome for your DH - 80 lb!

I forgot to mention before, Mara that was a really good description of yo yo dieting that you gave earlier. I wonder how long it takes to fix metabolism if you even can, after a low cal diet. I wish it was easier to figure out a person''s caloric needs. There are the online calcs and things, but I feel like it is so individualized - eat too much you gain, eat too little you gain (and slow the BMR!)

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking about training for a half-marathon. Any words of advice or training plans out there? I know some of you have mentioned doing marathons or triathalons, but not sure who- TDiddy maybe? TDM????

I should say that I hate to run. I really wish I liked it, but I don''t. I have no desire to run a full marathon (metabolism out of whack, toenails falling off, early mornings, no thanks!
26.gif
But I have been trying to do things out of my comfort zone and I have a few friends who are doing it so I thought I may as well do it now before I have kids and such. Just so I can say I did it once.

I guess my question is: how do I start? I used to be able to run 2-3 miles but that''s been a few years. So I need to start from scratch.

Any help, advice, warnings, would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks everyone!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chinacat! I've done two half marathons and will be doing another next month. Good for you for giving it a try! If you are not running much now, I would pick a race next spring to give yourself plenty of time to train. TAKE IT SLOW when ramping up your mileage so you don't injure yourself. I used Hal Higden's website which gives you a free training plan for the first race I ran. I have since picked up Jeff Galloway's book on running which also has a detailed plan. I would use a plan like either of those as a starting point and adjust if needed, i.e. don't run through injury or pain!

Most plans have you doing a long run every weekend, and adding a certain amount (mile or so) every week. For me this was the key to success. Run as slow as you need to to complete the distance, and absolutely walk if you need to!

I would also recommend entering some 5k or 10K races along the way to get used to being part of an organized run. Plus, they are fun and you get t shirts! Active.com is a good site to find races near you.

You could also look into a group program such as Team in Training or through a local running store - there is usually a fundraising commitment but this way you get coaching and group encouragement.

Oh, and definitely defiinitely definitely go to a REAL running store and have them evaluate your feet to get the right shoes - this is major! It is worth paying $80 or so for good shoes that fit you right, and will help you avoid injury!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

I've been MIA lately, but I'm back! The HH and I went to Lake Geneva, WI, for the Columbus Day weekend. We had a wonderful time, as we do every year, and we even found a new good restaurant, so that's a bonus.

Ever since I got back from vacation (Florida that is, not Lake Geneva) I haven't worked out because the scar on my thigh has been really weird; all red and puffy, and (WARNING - HERE COMES TOO MUCH INFORMATION) if I squeezed it "stuff" came out of this tiny little hole that has been there ever since they took the steri strip off. Well, over the past week or so it's been getting worse. This morning when I got dressed it looked really bad and I was going to call the doctor but I forgot, and when I came home and went to change clothes I decided to do the logical thing that you would do with a new surgery scar that looks terrible and is painful to the touch... I squeezed it really hard from "underneath"
20.gif
and *POP* out of the hole came this *thing." I was like WTF IS THAT?
23.gif
So I pulled out my handy dandy loupe and looked at what popped out and I think it was a left over stitch. It's like a knot made of out clear/whitish string (and of course there is some other "stuff" crusted on it too). So now the hole is bigger but it seems "clean" somehow. Maybe that is what was going on and now it will clear up and my scar will finally heal because I'm tired of all this! ETA: I did put this thing in a plastic ziplock baggie in case I do end up going back to the doctor so I can show it to him. (Is that just TOO anal?)

(Sorry to anyone who read that and was grossed out. I was kind of grossed out myself, but I'm hopeful that was the problem.)

***SHARON*** feel free to yell at me if I did something terrible there!!

Anyway, come next Monday this whole leg thing better be better 'cuz I got nothing by time on my hands and my choice of the elliptical machines all day long LOL.

TDM and Chinacat, it's a good thing you weren't here for the Chicago marathon last week. It sounds like it was a real nightmare!

Al, 80 pounds is awesome for Rich, and LOL on the 14 miles--I don't think he was tyring to kill you!

Jeff, cute post!

Mara, that's great that your coworker said you look leaner. All that hard work of yours certainy pays off!

Lorelei, I'm so impressed that you turned your pantsy treadmill situation into an opportunity to switch up your workout.

Stephi, mowed the lawn AND walked 3.5 miles--WOW!

Sarah, only two weeks to see results from weight training? OK, I seriously AM getting a trainer.

Marcy, every 2/10 of a pound adds up!

Kimi, glad you enjoyed the concert. And don't worry; you'll be back to your normal self in no time.

Monnie, there are some days I would LIKE to break the scale, ha ha!

Rod, did you work out AND have sushi last night? In what order?

Sharon, happy belated Thanksgiving!

Mrs. S., you *know* how the HH and I feel about the pups, so I totally understand about Zoe!

Hello Chrono!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha DJ your story is gross but that is totally me. i am a horrible squeezer of things i find on me OR greg. i am like oh this is red and inflamed, let me squeeze it and see what happens. greg is always on my case because i''m always doing that to random things i find and of course they get all irritated and infected or whatever. if i have a bump on my face, lookout world!! i basically make it 1000% bigger than it was and it takes 2 weeks to heal and usually gets a SCAB, and he makes fun of me the whole time. is it just me or does anyone else get a weird sort of satisfaction when you do squeeze something like that and something DOES come out? it''s like SEE!!!! in any case, sounds like a piece of the stitch was leftover (or maybe was supposed to dissolve and didn''t?) and it was getting infected and your body was maybe trying to push it out. i''d put some neosporin on it and a bandaid maybe and see if it gets better over the next few days?

go skippy, 3.5 miles and a mowed lawn is a nice amount of activity today!!
gail i''m glad you checked in with another doctor, it doesn''t hurt at all to have more information than less. i hope they do figure something out or the changes you are making do help. i am eating more protein and more of the ''right'' type of carbs and i definitely notice a difference in my body when i do eat like that.

good to see you checking in here again jeff! hope all is well.

just about to head off to the work gym in a few minutes. snacks this afternoon were a south beach caramel pb crisp bar (yummy but the malitol totally does a number on my stomach ugh!), 10 wasabi almonds, and 1/2 a fuji apple. dinner...not so sure what is happening....i really am craving this salad from this local place that has grapefruit, orange, mango, avocado slices, pistachios, blue cheese and a bunch of mixed greens...it''s very tasty!! and i have them add grilled chicken to it typically. but then i think aw man i have stuff at home i should be making. but then i think well i can do that tomorrow and thurs. so i''m debating with myself. we''ll see how lazy i feel coming out of the gym hehee. whatever i have at home might sound really appealing right then!!

so anyhow, have a great evening all!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2007 7:52:52 PM
Author: Mara
is it just me or does anyone else get a weird sort of satisfaction when you do squeeze something like that and something DOES come out? it''s like SEE!!!!

LOL!!! A sense of staisfaction was EXACTLY what I felt when it happened!!!

(A sense of *pain* was what I felt about one second later though... )

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2007 8:13:56 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

is it just me or does anyone else get a weird sort of satisfaction when you do squeeze something like that and something DOES come out? it''s like SEE!!!!

HI:

HA! You guys are halir--and so much for absorbable sutures!!! It was causing an irritation and your body was doing its best to get rid of it. Now the "foreign body" is gone, and given you are in good health--the area should heal. But it is still in a high stress area and should be covered when you are out and about--shower, clean guaze and polysporin. You can leave it open to the air when at home (if it isn''t draining +++), if you feel comfortable to do so.

IF this open area should persist and drain (becomes MORE red, tracks down your leg, you feel unwell), get thee to a medical facility; you may need some antibiotics for skin coverage (Keflex?? perhaps). They may want to swab it and send it for C & S.

Sorry for your continued trouble in this regard; and recall my disclaimer of previous advice.

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2007 8:43:40 PM
Author: canuk-gal

HI:

HA! You guys are halir--and so much for absorbable sutures!!! It was causing an irritation and your body was doing its best to get rid of it. Now the ''foreign body'' is gone, and given you are in good health--the area should heal. But it is still in a high stress area and should be covered when you are out and about--shower, clean guaze and polysporin. You can leave it open to the air when at home (if it isn''t draining +++), if you feel comfortable to do so.

IF this open area should persist and drain (becomes MORE red, tracks down your leg, you feel unwell), get thee to a medical facility; you may need some antibiotics for skin coverage (Keflex?? perhaps). They may want to swab it and send it for C & S.

Sorry for your continued trouble in this regard; and recall my disclaimer of previous advice.

cheers--Sharon

Sharon - I was SO hoping you would see this and chime in! I promise to keep an eye on it and go to the doc if it gives me any more trouble, but I really think it was the crazy stitch. It I could get my camera do go a good macro pic or even get a shot through the loupe I swear I would take a pic of this thing--it''s like this *perfect* teeny tiny little knot. I''m just fascinated by it.
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock

I''ve got the weird obsession too. I have a lovely blob on my right cheek that''s been there for 2+ weeks because I couldn''t resist getting it. John won''t let me near him though, I''m only allowed to pick at myself.

On that lovely note, happy evening all! I had a hair appt. this afternoon and am just getting home. I wanted red tones and she neutralized the color too much so I''m going back for a redo a week from today. Nice of her to be willing to do so, that''s what I call good business.

We''re having steak, fruit salad and squash for dinner, should be yummy! I had a quesadilla for lunch and some goldfish for a snack. My usual oatmeal for breakfast.

Have a great evening all.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is the first chance I''ve had to checkin today. So many posts, so my apologies if I missed anything or anyone.

DeeJay, your post caught my eye. Glad Sharon commented too. It would make sense that your body was trying to get rid of that little bugger, so it''s good it came out. I hope it finally heals and you can get back to working out!! Glad you and Bill enjoyed the lake trip. That sounds really nice.

Alj........wow, please tell hubbie how proud of himself he should be. 80 pounds is significant! Woo Hoo!

Skippy, a long walk and mowing the yard. You go girl!! I so don''t miss having a yard to mow. I don''t know how I''d work that in to my life again if I did have a yard??

Lorelei, glad you''re seeing positive results from using weights. You know how much weights have changed my life. I still do my cardio so I''m pretty on the inside, but the weights are what''s making me handsome (and you thought I was going to say pretty again....haha) on the outside!

Jeff, loved your post. What are you up to these days? Are you still working out, eating healthy and doing your jujitsu? Anyway, glad you check in and shared your musings.........

It was another super long day. Didn''t leave work till well after 6 PM. They''ve asked me to take on some more responsibility which is good, but will likely make my days longer. I will still find the time to hit the gym and workout though. Nothing will deter me from that.

So, I didn''t get to the gym till nearly 7 and I still did my full 2.5 hour workout. So, I just finished a small dinner and am really a bit beat. So, I''m going to end this here and wish all my friends sweet dreams. We''ll be back in the gym tomorrow night, and will check in again afterwards for sure.

Night Night!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock

Skippy – do you have a recipe for that black bean soup??? I love black bean soup but haven’t found one that I can make easily yet.

Monarch and DeeJay – I saw the news about the Chicago marathon. What a bummer. That was the first marathon I ever ran and it was a perfect fall day when I ran it. Hopefully that won’t ruin their turnout next year….people tend to remember that stuff when signing up to run 26 miles and that marathon - aside from this year - is definitely one of the best.

Mara – LOL on Linda Hamilton. My old trainer ate like that….egg whites, canned tuna, protein shakes. He was lean but he had to do the diet consistently do keep the results. There was a female trainer at the gym that competed in body building a la natural look (not that scary super-ripped look but more like a professional athlete like Mia Hamm) and she also ate that way. She had a 6 pack and was really toned in a good way but as soon as she stopped competing and went back to her old diet, which is way healthier than anything I would do, she definitely rounded out and wasn’t as sculpted – most noticeable was that the 6 pack was gone really quickly. The thing I remember most was that Jon (my trainer) always smelled like tuna and eggs when he did it. It works but it’s tough to maintain and kind of smelly to manage. Tuna and hard boiled eggs aren’t exactly scent-friendly

3.gif

Well, tomorrow is my 30th birthday. The good news is that life seems to get better every year and I think the same goes for being healthier each year. The bad news is that I am sure that I will be in for a weekend of birthday desserts to celebrate. Oh well, once a year won''t kill me....as if they will have to twist my arm, hehehe!

Tonite, I did a slow 3 mile run and felt good. I also did 30 on the elliptical. The weather finally turned fall-ish today so I will probably start running and riding outside again. For dinner I had a pot roast sandwich minus the bread and a side salad. For breakfast I had a Boca morning wrap (I am obsessed with these) and for lunch I had a baked potato with salsa. Apple and PB, a bowl of cereal, and a Cheese stick for snacks. So today was a good day. I am down a little over 4 pounds now and calorie tracking is still going well….I wish I would have tried that approach sooner.

Have a fab Wednesday!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. Well, I didn’t make it to the mall and it was too cloudy to find the comet. Rats. I did FREAK out on my treat tonight. I had BOTH 3 little miniature Hostess chocolate cupcakes and some caramel swirled vanilla slow churned ice cream. I’m out of control eating 200 calories for dessert tonight. Tee hee. It sure was MARVELOUS though.
Mara, I get asked the same question about my ring too. One girl insisted my diamond was new and just cleaned or it wouldn’t be so clear and sparkly. My DH was so impressed I just dropped it right there and didn''t give her a diamond lesson. I gave 2 of the ladies at work a little jar of jewelry cleaner because their rings were so gross. One of them cleans her ring all the time now but the other lady probably only cleans it once a month. I agree with you, why would you want to wear a dull and gray ring? Yuck! Good luck if you try the new diet. I don’t think I’d do well with it.
Lorelei, that is wonderful you tried a new hairdo. I am sure it looks great. I am working on getting a new hairdo but I have to let it grow first then get a perm. It sounds like you are really doing quite a program with weights. Woo hoo!
Skippy, I can believe controlling a balloon would be very difficult. They can only fly them around here real early in the morning because of the wind here. I love oranges too. I hope your salmon turned out great. I am glad you had a great walk today, mowed the lawn and have your sewing class tonight. You''re a busy lady.
Sarah, thanks for the weight lifting tips.
ModifiedBrilliant – what an ideal and brilliant piece of advice. I love it!
TanDogMom, I am so sorry to hear you are down but you’ve been doing all the right things. I am sure the doctor and trainer will come up with helpful ideas to jump start your body again. Take care!
Al, sorry to hear you aren’t loosing but not gaining is a good thing too. Tell your husband congrats on his minus 80 pounds.
ChinaCat, good luck on training for a half-marathon. That will be something to be proud of and enjoy. TDM is right to make sure you have someone fit your feet that knows what they are doing. There is a lady here in town that is the only I trust when I need to pick out new shoes and all I do is walk in them.
DeeJay, sorry to hear your scar is still bothering you but it sounds like a good thing you got that out of you. I am glad you had a great weekend.
Kimberly, that is wonderful to get some red highlights for your hair. I am sure you’ll like it. Your supper sounds good.
Rod, sorry to hear you’ll have longer days at work but more responsibility is good too. I hope they appreciate you. I know you’ll make sure to get in your gym time.
Well, take care and have a great Wednesday. Sleep blissfully tonight.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tdiddy, happy 30!!! i agree re: getting older and having things get better and better! and yeah i agree...that whole regimented eating thing is really difficult and honestly i feel like those people who follow it don''t eat for pleasure at all. it seems more like ''this is fuel and my body needs it'' than ''wow that egg white omelet is so tasty!'' hehee. so of course since i eat for pleasure, i could never do the whole tuna egg white thing so strictly and blah how boring! i understand if it''s a means to an end but yeah, as we all know, if something isn''t sustainable, then you won''t keep the look that it brings either long term. so i like the more middle ground route! i do eat oatmeal and high protein items but i don''t JUST eat them and i also try to make it more fun and mix it up a bit. yay for 4 lbs being gone so far.

rod, yay for a great workout and sorry to hear about working longer hours, that is never fun. my last few weeks have been slower paced which is a nice break but i''m ready to be really busy again. one of my programs is about to launch which will be really exciting for me to manage and grow, the first year it will bring in about $9-12 million for my department so that''s something that will be nice for the resume!!

so went to the gym after work...and did elliptical for 20 min, did a walk run combo on the treadmill for 15 min and then did 15 min of legs with weights like lunges and what my trainer calls ''booty busters'' which is where you put your foot into the weight machine loop on the floor and do kickbacks, trying to squeeze at the end. and leg lifts out to the left and right with foot in the strap again.

was hemming and hawing over dinner, ended up making chicken quesadillas with la tortilla factory tortillas, the rotisserie chicken breast from the other night, and 2% mozz and monterey jack cheese mix. yummy. also had a cup of roasted red pepper soup from TJ''s with parsley. i am so full and the whole thing was only about 400 cals. lots of protein and fiber though too! dessert will be slow churned most likely...as i was thinking i''d snack on the last of the choco chip cookies my mom made but they are gone so i think greg ate them! hehe.

anyhow, hope everyone had a great tues. nite!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 6:13:19 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Thinking about training for a half-marathon. Any words of advice or training plans out there? I know some of you have mentioned doing marathons or triathalons, but not sure who- TDiddy maybe? TDM????

I should say that I hate to run. I really wish I liked it, but I don''t. I have no desire to run a full marathon (metabolism out of whack, toenails falling off, early mornings, no thanks!
26.gif
But I have been trying to do things out of my comfort zone and I have a few friends who are doing it so I thought I may as well do it now before I have kids and such. Just so I can say I did it once.

I guess my question is: how do I start? I used to be able to run 2-3 miles but that''s been a few years. So I need to start from scratch.

Any help, advice, warnings, would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Hey ChinaCat,

I second Hal Higdon''s plan. I did my first marathon with his beginner''s plan, which can be modified for the half marathon easily - and loved the whole process, subsequently getting completely hooked. The best thing to do - which his plan does for you - is just to focus on mileage and not on time. His plan just helps you get it done and doesn''t kill you with speed intervals and hill training. I followed it to the letter and had no regrets. The plan I use now is a modification of his intermediate plan and after looking around at a few others, I still like his plans the best.

I think the rule of thumb is that you should be able to comfortablely complete a 10k (6.2 miles) to start training for a full marathon on a beginners plan and even a half marathon would assume some level of base running before you really start a plan. So get yourself to 3-4 miles without stopping/minimal stopping and then I would start your plan. Most plans take about 18 weeks for a full and I think 12 weeks for a half.

If I could advise one thing it would be to ramp up slowly and to follow the 10% rule....add 10% onto your weekly mileage each week but no more. If you push this you will end up with the runners'' list of overuse complaints like tendonitis or IT band syndrome. These overuse injuries aren''t serious but will put an end to training immediately and generally mean you have to quit running for several weeks until you recover thus ending your training immediately. I''ve never lost a toenail and generally have had good luck besides minor chaffing and an ongoing battle with IT band syndrome that comes and goes, but I chalk that up to following my training plan and a good pair of shoes!

Good luck - Keep us updated on your progress!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/9/2007 6:02:35 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Al that is so awesome for your DH - 80 lb!

I forgot to mention before, Mara that was a really good description of yo yo dieting that you gave earlier. I wonder how long it takes to fix metabolism if you even can, after a low cal diet. I wish it was easier to figure out a person''s caloric needs. There are the online calcs and things, but I feel like it is so individualized - eat too much you gain, eat too little you gain (and slow the BMR!)
TDM - the best online calc and descriptions i have found for determining caloric needs with weighted factors for a person''s activity level, etc. is at http://www.weightlossforall.com/calculate%20cals.htm

There are several different equations used on that page (get more detailed as you scroll down) and the methodology for each one is broken down pretty well. It''s the best I have come across so far.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tdiddy, I’m wrinkling up my nose even thinking about how your trainer smelled. Yuck! Happy Birthday tomorrow! You should celebrate with some special dessert – it’s your birthday. Congratulations on loosing 4 pounds. Also a baked potato sounds great. I’ve been thinking of having one this week. Thanks for the link on the calorie calculator.
Mara, your workout tonight sounds really good and I was very impressed to hear there were some cc cookies left but it looks like Greg beat you to them.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
  1. Tdiddy! A very happy 30th birthday wish to you! I just crossed the 30 yr. mark myself back in May...it''s a point of accomplishment, that''s for sure! Glad you are positive about it (more so than I was)...it is definitely a time for a little reflection on health, wealth, and wise-ness. I found that I was just as health, if not healthier on my 30th than I was on my 18th, which was surprising...I did a lot of reflection before and after I turned 30 as well and was pleased to read letters I''d written but hadn''t sent in my early 20''s and noticed that my writing style has definitely changed, it was fun. As far as wisdom...ahhh who knows, I think that is just something that changes on a daily basis, ya know? Anyway, glad you are here with us on PS and a part of the WWT as well, you''re a valuable member no matter what. Happy birthday again! Hope all your wishes come true!
    emotion-19.gif
    emcake.gif

Everyone else, I am having the toughest time MAKING time to respond to this thread..I love PS''ing for fun every night to relax, but I equally love spending time with hubby when he''s actually home and I''m done working. I really hope that you all understand that I just am not able to find the time to give my usual personal responses within this thread. Especially now that I am losing weight left and right without even trying, I feel sort of guilty, I''m not working out really at all but hte weight is just falling off without me even trying...which I attribute to being on my feet all day and never sitting down. Even if I go and get a bite to eat across the st. at Subway I barely have a chance to scarf down two bites then rush to the RR to brush my teeth (braces!) and then am back on the sales floor. It''s good and strange at the same time...good for the metabolism, but bad for my overall health as I fear I''m not eating enough cals during the day. Even when I get home though, I''m taking care of the dogs and tending to theirs and DH''s needs until I hop on the computer late at night and have a glass of wine.

Tonight DH and I actually sat down to a nice long 1.5 hr. dinner of TJ''s veggie lasagna and Lite Texas Toast with a small mixed greens salad...we enjoyed a long conversation while Daisy was in her crate for a nap and Milo was lying at our feet being a good boy. Wow, was that nice. DH had been OOT all of last weekend and leaves again tomorrow for the next few days, so I was so happy to have him to myself. Currently we''re spending some time to ourselves on our respective laptops and will cuddle up later.

Workout, schmurkouts...I did an arm workout last night for about 7 minutes and another one tonight and sadly that''s all I have to report for this week so far. Didn''t get in a walk with the dogs at all yesterday or tonight...I feel like a terrible WWTr'' but hey, whatryagonnado? LOL!

Take care everyone, I have been keeping up with reading the posts as always even if I don''t respond to individuals...i care very much about everyone who participates in this thread and wish I had more time now to devote to responses. Sometime soon I''m sure I''ll re-evaluate PS time priorities and get back in the swing but for tonight this is it! Mwauah!
    30.gif
    9.gif
    35.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! I''m alive -- just buried at work. Down one pound -- which is super double cool because it''s also PMS week, which usually brings along a couple of pounds! I think it''s because of the combination of sweating in a hot room and doing 4 flights of stairs...in heels (uphill, in the snow, both ways) a few times a day. And eating really well. I made a butternut squash lasagne last night that I honestly wanted to cry over it was so good! And fairly healthy.

I am running to my THIRD meeting this morning, but I did want to say "Hey"

And DeeJay -- gross. I was laughing and groaning while reading your post. Then I got all skeeved out. Then I laughed again.

So...ewwww...hahahahaha....ewww

XO,
JAS, who is 3.8-5.8 pounds away from her goal!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch, congratulations on the weight falling off of you; running around all day must be really burning those calories. Do make sure you are eating well so you don''t get run down. Yeah for spending some quiet time with DH especially before he has to go OOT again.

I hope everyone has a great day.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All,

Today I''m working in a gen. ed. room (5th graders) for the teacher I hope I get to student teach with. It should be a good day, these kids all know me. Then I''m babysitting this afternoon, probably won''t get home until after 7.

The scale is being unkind, as is my body -- salt retention and constipation anyone? -- but not as unkind as I''d expected.

My workout today will be chasing after kids.

Dinner was good last night, I ate about 1/2 my steak, so 3 oz total. Skipped ice cream, dumped 1/2 my glass of wine. I''m just reeling it in a bit for a few days so I don''t get out of control, especially since I''m headed OOT this weekend and am sure it will involve lots of eating.

Skip, the baby went home yesterday. He''s doing well and big sister is adjusting. I''ll be meeting him this weekend and I''m so excited.

Monnie, your post cracked me up, do not apologize for 1) posting when you can 2) losing weight w/o exercise. I''m excited for you on all accounts (hubby being home, weight coming off, job being good!).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 9:12:16 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Morning All,

The scale is being unkind, as is my body -- salt retention and constipation anyone? -- but not as unkind as I'd expected.

Skip, the baby went home yesterday. He's doing well and big sister is adjusting. I'll be meeting him this weekend and I'm so excited.
I am in the same boat as you Kimi; I ate some salty stuff and feeling blah. I did want to say a big YAY for the little fighter; I kept him in my prayers. I am so happy to hear that Kimi; thanks for letting me know. Have fun chasing kiddos
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2007 9:16:44 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 10/10/2007 9:12:16 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Morning All,

The scale is being unkind, as is my body -- salt retention and constipation anyone? -- but not as unkind as I''d expected.

Skip, the baby went home yesterday. He''s doing well and big sister is adjusting. I''ll be meeting him this weekend and I''m so excited.
I am in the same boat as you Kimi; I ate some salty stuff and feeling blah. I did want to say a big YAY for the little fighter; I kept him in my prayers. I am so happy to hear that Kimi; thanks for letting me know. Have fun chasing kiddos
1.gif
I love chasing the kiddos! It''s so good for me.

I''m so glad for them that he''s home.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning all (again! somehow i found a secret key code combination and locked out my computer, now the screen is all weird!
29.gif
)

So the scale is becoming increasingly hostile towards me: first up 1 lb, and now 3 lbs, for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps he learned of my association on this board with fellow scale destroyers??? My mother always said you should be careful who you hang out with!
2.gif

Kimi & Skippy- I too am feeling over-bloated and gross. Hoping it passes soon, cause it makes me grumpy!!!! Kimi- I keep meaning to tell you how much I love your avatar, makes me want to pick up and move north! Did you take the photo?

Skippy- I too am calling you out to provide a black bean soup recipie! And Jas- butternut squash lasagna? Yum yum yum!!! Please provide recipie if you ever have any downtime! You must share.

TDiddy & TDM- Thanks for all the info. I did see Hal H''s program online, so I will just start with that. I really am more concerned with finishing than with my time, at least for now. I am going to try to do a couple of 3 mile runs, and if I can do that, then I am going to sign up for a 1/2 in February- that gives me around 16 weeks, which seems doable on that plan. I will definitely hit up the running shoe specialists- I used to run more often in grad school, and learned the hard way about needing the right shoes. Thanks for reminding me! I will keep you all posted, thanks for the encouragement!

TDiddy- Happiest Birthday! I actually liked my 30th, for some reason 31 freaked me out. It really is a cool milestone, and as much as I miss some things (like being able to stay up later, or not having terrible hang-overs) I am really quite more content and happy in my 30''s. Everything just seems to come together in a way. Welcome!!!Hope it''s a fantastic day and year for you.

Dee Jay- Oh, I cannot resist picking. There is such a strange satisfaction- even though I know I am making it worse, I can''t help it. I wonder where that comes from? But sounds like in your case, it was a good thing. Hope it heals quickly!!

Happy Wednesday all!!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
thanks SKIPPY!!!!!
36.gif
for posting the black bean soup.

It sounds yummy and relatively easy to make. Can''t wait to try it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results