shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th March till 11th March.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good idea on resting Mara...the last thing you want to do is get so sick that it knocks you out for a week.

And I ate 7 fages in 5 days...it just makes a great breakfast and evening dessert!

Man, you are gonna be the exercise queen with the extra time on your hands! Are you planning on burning 5000 cals next week?
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol maybe not 5000 but close. haha. as if!

so i skipped the tj burrito and just had some stuff from the work lunch..i had a big helping of mixed veggies, a tiny bit of broccoli beef (literally 2 broccoli and 1 beef which tasted weird), and a little bit of veggie chow mein. nothing impressive and it all tasted kind of weird thanks to my off-taste-buds, but whatever. it was all about 220 cals (this restaurant has their nutritional info online) so that works out. i'll save the tj burrito for next week!

and oh my god...my latest obsession. so being from the sf bayarea...we have this thing here called It's It. i don't know if anyone has heard of it outside of this area but they are local..and all the stores here carry them...they are basically ice cream sandwiches but not just any ice cream sandwich. we're talking oatmeal cookies (big ones), with ice cream in between and then the whole thing is dipped & entirely covered in chocolate! SO YUMMY. and they have 4 flavors, vanilla, cappucino, chocolate, and mint. the problem is that the vanilla is in all the regular big stores and super easy to find, but it's SUPER hard to find capp, choco, and mint. and my faves are mint and capp. sometimes 7 eleven's have them solo, when we are on the road, but it's far and few between! so my coworker and i were talking about them and how much we loved them since we had them as kids...and how hard it is to find them. and we found their website (
www.itsiticecream.com) and found out they shipped so we were like planning on how we could split a box with 4 people etc. so she goes off to lunch with a friend...and comes back and is like OH MY GOD look what i got you. and i KNEW! she found the mint ones at a 7-11 near work. and the guy said he could order the capp ones!! so she is like 'i am so going back next week to get more'...HAHA. so anyway now i have something to look fwd to this afternoon!! WHEE. and we don't have to buy a big box of them now ...haha. so jazzed.

so there is my happy moment of the day. suddenly the fact that i can't breathe out of my right nostril doesn't matter anymore!! and i am really glad that i did not splurge at lunch or anything because this is going to be my treat/snack for the rest of the afternoon...i can't wait to eat it. 340 cals. not bad considering it's a huge size. and yummy.
18.gif
HAPPY FRIDAY!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
random note on calories, my coworker just sent me this link...some crazy stuff on here. you think ''honey balsamic chicken'' would be healthy right? not at 1220 cals!!! and pf changs broccoli beef is 1200 cals? the crappy chinese food we just had for lunch had broccoli beef and it''s nutritional value was 150 cals! how do you end up with 1200?
40.gif

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/hungrygirl/2477/attack-of-the-1-000-calorie-entrees

anyone like costco pizza? 1 slice of a cheese is 770 cals. YEP one slice. the whole pizza at 6 slices is 4500 cals. CRAZY!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
busy day for me today and didn''t make it to the gym yet. I''ve been keeping track of my calories though. I about had a heart attack b/c I went to panera for lunch with friends, I had the 1/2 turkey sandwhich and 1/2 asian seseme salad. I got home and added the calories and lunch was well over 1000 calories
23.gif
but then I realized I only 1/2 portions and the nutritional info was for full servings so I ended up with just over 500 calories for lunch which makes me feel soooo much better. I''m going to try and get to the Y tonight to at least sign up even though I can''t stay and workout. I need to get the workout train running.

happy friday all!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m happy to report another successful workout to the tune of 537 cals on the elliptical. And today I''m coming in at 1355 cals consumed, assuming I have the chocolate pudding cup for dessert that''s calling my name (and I assure that that I will, LOL.)

My weird chest pain is intermittantly back so I think I will take tomorrow off (not that I''d have much opportunity to work out anyway since I have two clients, one from 9:30 to 12:30 and one from 1:00 to 4:30, then dinner reservations with the happy hubby at 7:00). But hopefully I''ll be able to get back to the gym on Sunday morning, even if it''s just for a walk on the treadmill.

Mara, do you feel wildly liberated? Are you loving being unemployed, LOL?!

Mrs. S., I know exactly how you felt when you came home and looked up the cals for what you had eaten at the restaurant. Sometimes I go out to eat and think, geez I''m really being pretty good here!, and then I find out that I just had something outrageous. So irritating!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I haven''t checked out that site yet, but it sounds exactly like my fav treat of all time. They used to be cool-a-coos or something like that.

OK, hold on...I just looked at the site, and that''s IT! I recognize the wrapper! My childhood dessert!!!! OH MY GOD! I LOOOOOVE those things...I ate them all the time when my parents owned a store back in the 80s and they''d buy boxes to sell just for me. I have not had one since the late 80''s I think. That is my favorite ice cream treat ever!!!

Another reason to visit San Fran.
36.gif

Back from pilates and my walk. I really was craving mcdonald''s so I caved. But I only got ONE cheeseburger, and not the two I could normally eat. So I don''t feel so bad.

Girls get together tonight, which means lots of wine. Ugh...my calorie count has got to be high already!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kudos dj and tg on workouts! mrs salvo are you all signed up for the gym now? hehe. i hear ya on checking calories, i usually do it before i go eat somewhere, if only just to shock myself into not getting all crazy at the dinner haha. it''s amazing sometimes what is in things when you think you are being healthy!

lol i AM a free agent now!! i do feel liberated and very happy. kind of odd! hehe.

however my cold is taking this opportunity to try to get me even worse, i am bombarding it with mega vitC and zinc and non-drowsy congestion pills so hopefully it will be short lived. i tried to take a nap when i got home but it''s sooo hard for me to turn down my brain in the middle of the day when i know i have a deadline with how long i can nap and stuff, like i knew i had an hour to nap but of course for 30 minutes i just laid here thinking about tonite or whatever. so no nap. but at least i laid down for a while.

i also wanted to have some sort of snack to get me through the concert til dinner tonite at 10pm...ugh so late! so i had a 1/2 a 0% fage mixed with light sugar strawberry jam and a small handful of pumpkin granola cereal all mixed in...for 100 cals total..and really yummy! it was just like a yogurt parfait you get at sbucks or whatever. i am so tempted to have the rest of the fage lol. but i should be okay til tonite...esp after my fatgasm with the it''s it earlier...(TG they are the BEST!! next time you are here just prep me and i''ll be sure to bring you one when we meet up lol)...

the new fage mixture with the whole cup actually would make a fabulous breakfast one of these days too...mmm i have to go get some more at TJ''s this wkd. and those frozen cherries everyone keeps raving about! hehe.

TG hope you enjoyed the cheeseburger...mmmm sometimes i know that craving for sure. and they are only like 330 cals so it''s not THAT bad. have a great night everyone!!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2007 8:26:45 AM
Author: coda72
For some reason, I couldn''t edit my post, but I wanted to ask a question of all you people who do long cardio workouts. I know you couldn''t have started out at 60 minutes, but when you started to ramp up your workouts, did you find that you''re really tired? So far this week I''ve done 2 45 minute workouts and 2 40 minute workouts. I usually only do 30 minute workouts. Last night my legs were so tired that I barely finished the 45 minutes. And they''re still tired today. That''s not something that happens to me very often. I want to do another at least 30 minute workout tonight, but I don''t know if my legs can take it. Did I ramp up too much, too quickly?
Hey Colleen (BTW, nice to know your name!!). When I started with cardio I could barely do 10 minute on the elliptical without feeling like I was dying. Of course I had recently quit smoking and was very overweight and completely out of shape. But I kept plugging at it until I was up to doin 60 minutes at a time, and pretty intensely during those 60 minutes. I have to say that initially, I would get really worn out. I mean so tired, I wasn''t sure I could continue, but I was so determined to become healthier that I pushed and pushed and pushed. And we did this initially 6 days a week and let me tell you, there were times I felt I could barely lift my legs, but over time, Charlie and I made such significant strides that we started to back down the duration of our cardio times from 60 to 55 minutes, then from 55 to 45 minutes and we have settled on 35 really tough minutes. When I say tough, we try to accomplish what we might have accomplished in say 55 minutes, but do it in 35 minutes. I had read in Men''s Fitness that pushing harder in a shorter time frame could actually provde more benefit than a leisurly longer session. So, don''t feel bad if you''re experiencing tired legs if you are increasing the time you spend on cardio. Your body will adjust though.

Keep up the good work!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Friday evening!

So I got in my 500 calorie workout today, yippee! And we''re having eggplant lasagna for dinner, yum! And I''m so glad the work week is over.

Have a great evening everyone!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry your cold is making an evil comeback Mara. Congratulations on being free of the evil office B!(@#. With all the turmoil she's caused, it's a wonder she can still have a management role, but then sometimes companies just don't get it.

Today was not a good day workwise. Won't go into details, but it surely had me questioning whether I had made the right choice coming here or not. Maybe, our condo not selling and the possibility of being rehired by my old company and going home is possible for a reason?? I guess only time will tell. But, I've got to stop obsessing over something I can not control and with that knowledge, I've decided tonight I WILL sleep. And I will sleep until I'm ready to get out of bed, whatever time that may be!!

So, after a NOT fun day at work, I met Charlie at our favorite Sushi restaurant where I started with a Large Sapporo (thank god for Beer) and we had a fantastic assortment of fresh sushi rolls that were just fantastic. I know the rice in most sushi rolls makes them not necessarily a low calorie food option, but so far, we haven't gained weight from eating sushi and you all know we eat a LOT of sushi each week. Then knowing I was just not having a fun day, we stopped by Panera, where I was able to snag a Tart Cherry Scone (my first one this week, thank you very much) and I enjoyed every last crumb of my 360 calorie treat and a cup of Sbucks coffee for dessert (our Sbucks don't have the mini vanilla scones here Mara
8.gif
). Sometimes, one just has to splurge a little.

Charlie's cold is like your cold Mara. His was going away , but seems to have come back stronger in his chest and he's coughing a lot tonight. I hope a good night's rest will help. We're planning on hitting the gym tomorrow like normal, but he may not be able to go if he doesn't get better by tomorrow. I will surely go though.

That's about all the news from Lake Woebegone! Hope you're all having a great Friday evening and looking forward to a nice weekend.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha well rod i had MY splurge tonite!! we went to this symphony concert...and then after walked to that restaurant...where we were pleasantly surprised at the ambiance...they had a very talented jazz band playing, a humming bar atmosphere, and tables for dining placed just far enough away from all the going-ons...hehe. and the food was excellent...we got a nice table by a gauzy curtained window to the street. we started with some wine for greg and a yummy pomegranate ginger martini for me. we shared a crab cake with an apple puree and frisee bit of greens...and a fig salad with arugula, goat cheese, figs, and balsamic. then for our entrees i had the diver scallops which were 3 huge scallops on some sort of strange bed of greens that i was not loving, it tasted a bit too charred but the scallops themselves were perfect. and didn't need a bit of sauce or anything. and then it came with 3 hush puppies which were just fried rounds of soft dough, YUM. right up my alley, lol. greg was intrigued by the special which was bison short ribs with a bed of potatoes and veggie kind of 'hash'..really yummy but bison and gamey meats are not my thing, hehee. but i did have a taste and greg loved it. finished off the meal by sharing a divine butter becan bread pudding w/bourbon caramel sauce (melt in your mouth goodness), a small glass of bonny doon muscat, and a decaf coffee.

in the spirit of ICU and because i didn't work out today, i convinced greg that we should walk home. haha. we took the light rail over to near where the concert was and then walked about 1/3 mile to get to the concert hall, and then walked the 1/3 mile back to the restaurant which was right by the light rail stop in downtown. but then i was telling him about TG's version of ICU...which he knows i subscribe to anyway, and i was telling him i want us to do more walking, especially from our place which is about 1 mile from the heart of downtown where we are...etc. so finally after a pep talk about not wanting us to be typical sedentary americans and a half bottle of wine, he finally said okay lets walk home...haha. so we walked home and it took us about 25 minutes at a brisk pace and was about 1 1/2 miles. so overall with the there and back and back home it was something like 2 1/4 miles. and it felt good to get out after that yummy meal and get the heart rate up a bit. plus no one was out so it was just us walking and it was pretty nice. greg laughingly calls it 'death march'...haha because my stride is pretty long even with 3" heels on and i just get up and GO...lol.

anyway now it's bedtime...but i am jazzed we got the walk in...and i feel a bit better with the cold thing after walking (i swear exercise totally makes me feel better once i set my mind to it, i will have to remember that tomorrow) and dinner was YUMMY. we can't wait to go back at some point soon and try some of the other goodies on their menu, they had a bunch more entrees and apps that intrigued us and a handful more desserts that were calling my name (citrus pot de creme, yum!!)...hehe.

tomorrow i am just taking it easy but i DO want to hit up the gym at some point. but that is all i have planned...and then we are talking about taking a drive to santa cruz for an early dinner before the sun sets so we can eat at this yummy crab place on the ocean and see the sun setting..so that'd be fun! hope i feel much more perky after a good nights' sleep. rod hope charlie feels better too, darn colds!! and rod hope you get some sleep too, i hate when things mess with my sleep patterns, but at some point you will be so tired your body will make your mind rest. hang in there!

hope everyone else had a fabulous evening!! enjoy your saturday mornings!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, I am sending out more positive vibes for you, we are all rooting for you and I am so sorry that you had this bad experience today. I know things will work out for the best!
35.gif

I managed a workout last night and Mara, I did 20 mins elliptical time without the handles to work the core and I could really feel it in my legs etc again, so with luck I will get some good results from that. The toe still hurts but I am managing! So I did an hour in total and 630 cals.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i haven''t checked in this week, but have been reading and everyone is making great progress. the before and after pics are wonderful...more people should show off their weight loss too. its really good to see a visual of how x amount of pounds lost really looks. keeps me motivated to stay on track. happy weekend to all!!!!

***when i went to the gym i noticed i would catch colds or feel sick more often...then i started bringing sanitizing wipes and used them to wipe the machines before i used them...voila! the colds and sickies went away

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Good Morning,

Today is a workout day, and tonight we''re going to a housewarming party and then out for pizza, J''s choice. Nothning too exciting!

Have a great day all.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OK--This health kick IS contagious! My 23 year old daughter is living with me temporarily and
wants to eat healthy like me AND join a gym AND learn Brazilian Jujitsu!
9.gif

So here are two BIG questions for you:

Has your healthy behavior had a positive impact on your spouse and/or family members who
appreciate all that you are doing for a healthy mind, body, and spirit?

OR

Are you alone in your quest for fitness?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nyc i totally agree, the gym is a huge cesspool of germs! i always wipe down the machines before i use them (my gym supplies cleaning equipment all over the place for us) and most of the time i do it after i use it too, esp when i''m sick. once this girl next to me on the ellip was hacking up a lung and sniffling and wiping her nose, touching everything etc. then she just gets off and walks away!! i was like OMG. so basically the next person who uses it is going to get your horrible germ! sure enough 5 min later some girl walks up to it and i told her she should probably clean it since the girl who just used it was really sick! so hopefully that saved her a cold.

i have read multiple things that say when you are sick if it''s not a flu aka chills whole body kind of thing and is just in your head and not your lungs, then it''s fine to continue your workouts as long as you feel okay. but then i read something last week that said you could be prolonging your cold by working out too hard. so i was like hmm. thing is i feel so much better after my workout thanks to the endorphins and all that...i want to do it. hehe.

anyway this morning i do feel better after a good night''s sleep. i am still definitely not well, but i feel a little less tired and just run down...so i am debating either gym or a walk...the weather is beautiful this weekend, 80 tomorrow and like 75 today i think. so we''ll see..either way i am doing something within the next few hours to take advantage of my newfound sleep-and-breakfast-energy...and then i can rest up on the couch all afternoon or whatever if i need to. bonus i guess is that now that i''m not working, i have all week to get my cold fixed up. hehe. there''s none of that horrible pressure on ''getting better by monday''.

jeff, in terms of being alone in my fitness or similar...greg my husband is always an active individual. when i met him he used to row with a crew team like 4x a week. grueling early morning workouts that kept his 6 foot frame at about 165 lbs no matter what he ate. he''s rowed since college. after he cut back on it, he gained about 20 lbs (lol dating and not working out, sound familiar to anyone?!) but he still looked fine..but he wanted to be more muscular...so he kind of goes to the gym sometimes, rows sometimes, runs sometimes, etc. he typically runs about 1x a week for an hour and 10 minutes and then rows 1x a week. and that keeps him lean at about 180 lbs with muscle. he looks great and pretty much has since i met him 7 years ago! also now he takes the train to work and has for the last 3 years...so he walks from his shuttle where it drops him over near work about 3/4m each way so he gets walking in daily too regardless. the rest of my family, my dad is a very avid fitness buff and has been since my mom met him...he works out like 4x a week, he is a cyclist so he is always out riding long races and routes, and he also does marathons and 10ks etc pretty religiously. my mom works out but she''s not a real fitness buff..and out of my 2 sisters, one visits the gym with my mom whenever she goes and the other doesn''t really do much. but overall i guess my family is pretty fit and healthy!

breakfast is being had right now, steel cut oatmeal with sf maple syrup and two slivers of multigrain toast (last of the bread, yum) with smart balance, coffee. anyhow hope everyone is enjoying the day!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
so went to the gym...i actually felt really good and i kept up a steady pace, there was none of that tired/energetic/tired thing going on, i was pretty consistent with my legs and pace because i didn''t want to overtire my body...so i did 65 minutes for 580 cals total. i figured i would only do 400 since we''ll be walking a little later tonite but i felt so good i figured why not, because as we know some days just feel better than others...and there''s no guarantee that tomorrow i''ll feel as good, so i just kept going. so between my walk last nite and the workout today i basically made up for my non-workout day yesterday (well besides the walk!) so i just have tomorrow''s workout and then i''ll make my goal (exceed actually) of 2500 cals for the week. the scale didn''t register anything different (well i am down to 133 consistently, and it''s moving towards 132 semi-consistently)...so that''s good.

came home and had a snack of a 1/2 toasted wheat bagel with better n''peanut butter...yum!! i used to eat the toasted bagels with PB last summer on a kick for a while...then i thought it was probably going against my weight loss goals (this was when i was starting to count cals and realized that a regular bagel with PB was a ton of calories for a lunch...like around 400), so this wheat bagel from sara lee is 7g of fiber per bagel and only 220 cals and a nice size, and the better n''peanut butter is only 50 cals per tablespoons so a 1/2 toasted with bnp is only like 160 cals and 3.5g of fiber, so perfect for a snack. some bagels go up to 290 cals...it''s crazy how wide the range is...some are smaller, some larger etc. it''s kind of like the whole hamburger bun range thing!

anyhow i feel pretty good but i am just going to take the rest of the afternoon easy so i don''t overdo things, then we are heading up to santa cruz for a sunset dinner..should be fun. and then we plan to relax at home later this evening, take a hot bath, drink some champagne (i don''t know how but we suddenly realized we have like 5 bottles in our wine fridge as gifts from people!) and have a little dark chocolate or something for dessert. hope everyone is having a GREAT saturday!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...my understanding from reading up on it and also from talking to my Dr. is that head colds, if you do a moderate workout, it will actually boost your immunity and help you get better faster. Fever, nausea, or stuff in your chest its better to rest, and not a good idea to do an intense workout when you''re not feeling well.

Of course, that can be complicated by whatever underlying conditions you have going on. For example, I have moderate to bad asthma and so I have to be very careful about working out if whatever I have makes my asthma worse, because that could be very dangerous. I''m sure that there are many other conditions that this is true of as well, so if you have any underlying health issues, probably good to get some personal guidelines from your doctor about when to work out when you''re feeling under the weather.

Interesting about your family Mara. My family is actually really into exercise - my mom swims about 60 minutes most days (hip replacement so that''s really all she can do), and my dad rides a bike over an hour every day plus hikes. However, they are both still significantly overweight. I try not to think too much about what that says about my future...

My husband was really into bodybuilding and weight lifting when we were in college, now he doesn''t really have time, but he does still eat healthy and has been joining me in an effort to cut back his portions, since he had gained a little bit of weight since college that he wasn''t happy about. He''s still pretty muscular and lean though.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah amber, i know for my dad he works out so hard he can pretty much mostly eat what he wants. but my mom does spinning 3x a week but doesn''t really work her upper body, so she not muscular or toned up top and also has muffin top because she eats whatever she wants!! she has a notorious sweet tooth which all of us girls inherited...but she indulges in hers ALL THE TIME. i am always on her case about it. but she is healthy in general...maybe carrying an extra 10 lbs up top that she could get rid of if she wants but she looks nice in clothes and always gets compliments on how young she looks etc..so she''s pretty happy. my youngest sister looks just like me when i was her age (and now actually) but is skinny as a rail! though i was too til i was about 17...she does treadmill and elliptical at the gym and has a huge appetite! but at least she is getting her workout habits early which i think is a good thing...aka if you don''t grow up thinking you have to maintain that nice body, when it actually comes time to HAVE to maintain it, i think it can be a hard lesson to learn...it took me years for sure! and my other sister was always a rail ... but then she got on depo and ballooned out like 20-30lbs which she has yet to get off yet. she''s only 22 so we are always on her case about eating better and working out...she''s resisting!! but my dad LOVES that the family is pretty trim and fit...he''s so into it and has been forever...i used to run track and play vb in high school and he loved coming to all my things...since he is a runner etc. so i know he''s super proud that for the most part the family is in good shape and takes care of themselves. people do what they can yanno?!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Jeff: My husband, John, has lost about 10 lbs. since I started counting calories. He walks with me about 4 times a week but since I do my workouts at home (my elliptical is set up in my office) he doesn''t do that with me. He will come into his office and swing his arms back and forth for 60 seconds and call it exercise though. ha ha ha Overall he''s pretty fit, he does lots of physical labor which keeps him in good shape.

So we''re not going to pizza tonight, John changed his mind. We''re going to a steak/seafood place instead, which fine with me. It will be nice to have a relaxing dinner out post housewarming shindig. I am commited to not snacking at the party.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The moral dillema that presented itself in my dream: Last night I dreamt that I was walking around in a mall and I decided to get a little treat. I went into Baskin Robbins an asked for an extra chocolaty chocolate shake and they said what size. Small, I replied, but then person behind the counter said, oh, we have a special going on, everything is one size upgraded for the same price, so you get the medium for the price of the small.

You should have seen me struggling with this in my dream!!! I even reached out and TOUCHED the different sized cups. In the end I ultimately chose the small but it was SO HARD!!!

Today I''ve been pretty good and we''re headed out to dinner in a few hours so I''m going to go sneak in a nap (2 clients and 10 properties in 6 hours will wear a gal out, LOL). No workout though, but definitely tomorrow.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff - My family does some stuff, but they could definitely be doing better, I think. My mom is like 10 lbs overweight, probably. My dad is pretty thin, but has gained a few inches around the middle in the last 5 years or so. They know what to do to be healthy, they just indulge themselves a little too much, I guess. They have a lot of friends that like to get together and make fancy food, and that stuff is never low-cal. My mom was telling me the other day how this cake they had was made with like 5 tubes of almond paste, plus a pound of chocolate or something. Then she took a piece home and had it for a snack the next day. They sort of flirt with a South Beachy sort of diet with moderate low carbs and whole grains, but obviously they aren''t giving up chocolate almond paste cake anytime soon! My mom will walk around the block (like 1.5 miles) a few times a week, but I don''t think that burns enough cals to really make a difference. My dad plays tennis twice a week, but then he overdid it one day and got a mild knee injury, so his doc told him to lay off for a while. They also ski, and they always complain about how they can''t ski as much as they could when they were younger, cause they aren''t in as good shape. This winter they were all set to buy an elliptical machine to replace their 20 year old exercise bike, but for whatever reason they cheaped out, and now they''re like "well why would we buy indoor equipment when it''s almost summer, and ski season is over?" Heh. My mom keeps saying how she wants to lose the weight for my wedding, but then they end up getting Chinese or fish and chips once a week cause it''s Friday and she doesn''t want to cook. And then they go out Saturday too, so I don''t really see any real progress. My brother eats whatever he wants and is sort of a beer connoisseur, but he lives in Europe so he literally bikes everywhere, and I guess that keeps the weight off. He''s also bigger boned and more muscular than the rest of us, so he carries it better. And then dear fiance, he''s built like a beanpole (30 inch waist, 34 inch inseam), but still watches what he eats pretty carefully and works out regularly. I still think he could benefit from a little more cardio, he tends to do like 20 minutes of running then go straight to the weights. But I''m lucky that he''s knowledgeable about fitness and nutrition, and he likes to eat a lot of fish, veggies, whole grains, etc. Plus, it''s fun to go to the gym with him!
1.gif

Anyway, today is sort of a lighter day for me. Breakfast was egg beaters, turkey bacon, and toast. I had cooked a double portion of bacon, so I had a BLT for lunch, and then a Fiberone bar as a snack, which puts me at only 530 cals so far. I think I''m having Supermac for dinner, but we''ll see. Exercise was 50 minutes bike, ~1 hour weight lifting but I was sort of lazy and taking long breaks between the exercises talking on the phone and shopping for shoes online. Tomorrow is a rest day!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey All,

Jeff, you know my answer to your question. Charlie works out right along with me and we''ve both accomplished so much since we started this about 1.5 years ago. My brother works out sometimes, when he''s trying to lose weight. He''s like a weight yo-yo. He gains 75, loses it, gains it back quickly, loses it and over and over. My parents were never into fitness and now that they are in their 80''s that won''t change. My mother lives for the scalpal, and believes with every operation, her back, or knee or shoulder problems will magically disappear. I am determined to be healthier from the get go..........

Charlie''s cold still has him coughing too mucy so he didn''t go to the gym, but I did my usual 2.5 hour workout. I was a bit sluggish to at the beginning, but the endorphens kicked in and I got in my usual groove to the end. I feel ever so much better for having a good workout. Charlie''s hoping to be able to go tomorrow, but I will discourage it if his cough hasn''t subsided.

Your dinner, walk and symphony experience sounded wonderful Mara. Your food experiences always sound so yummy.

Otherwise, it was actually a really pretty day in NC. It was in the low 70''s and spring to have be showing herself and the cherry blossoms and bradford pears are starting to bloom.

Hope you are all enjoying a nice Saturday!!

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock

Hehe.. It’s funny how this thread has evovled into talking about what and how our families fit into this whole fitness/diet thingy.

Friday was a super busy day for me I didn’t even have time to log in. And then by the time I got home I was so tired I went straight to bed. So yesterday it was a good thing I went to the gym first thing in the morning. I mostly “try” to go to the gym before work. But sometimes I’ll get lazy and not want to get up so early so I’ll go after work. Good thing I chose to go in the morning yesterday or else I don’t think I would have made it to the gym. Lately I’ve just been doing the whole treadmill jogging thing…. Since the elliptical is not logging my calories burned accurately. Plus I’ve surprisingly developed a fondness for running. It’s weird because I KNOW the first half hour I won’t be liking it too much. But as soon as I past the 30 minutes mark, I start feeling very different. My breathing is way more stabilized, I’m sweating but I don’t feel terribly hot, and my feet feel way lighter. Last week I just did straight 60+ minute jogs. This week I changed it a bit and did 30 minutes jogs.. and then for the rest of the time I’d do short sprints for a few minutes to get my heart rate really fast and then walk for a couple of minutes after that, and then once I’ve caught my breath I’d do the whole thing over again. And what I’ve noticed is that by 60 minutes… I feel better than ever. I can actually run faster without losing control of my breathing. It’s awesome! Never in my life had I ever ran like this! Ha… which reminds me, I flunked P.E. class in high school because I refused to run the mile once a week. And if you didn’t run you get an F.

So let’s see… eating has been okay. The other day I was in downtown L.A. and there was someone selling those bacon wrapped hotdogs on the side of the street and I gave in and had one! I kinda felt bad afterward. But I figured I’ve been so good lately that it “should” be okay. I still felt uneasy though. It felt like all my hard work of running just got ruined by this hotdog with bacon wrapped around it, and ketchup, mustard, and mayo!

Today for lunch I had Japanese with my parents. I ate 2 pieces of salmon sashimi, maybe half a cup of white rice, one piece unagi (eel) roll, two strips of chicken teriyaki (small strips). I think that’s about it. Can anyone calculate in terms of calories what that lunch cost me? I calculate 99 cals for the salmon, and 121 cals for the rice, and then I threw in an extra 100 calories just to be safe. So the total was 320. Does that look right?

My parents both eat terribly. A lot of times they’ll have a light breakfast of just milk and cereal. And then for lunch they’ll get Chinese take out which I think is very high in sodium and oil, and maybe some msg. Then they’ll tend to overeat for lunch and just skip dinner altogether. I keep telling them that’s not the way to eat.. but they don’t listen. I was thinking I’m going to start cooking for them too when I make and pack my own lunch. I don’t know, we’ll see. I still think eating/making my own food at home is the healthiest. At least I know what is going in there. And that way I can control the salt and the oil.

Mara – how’s that cold?

Lorelei – How’s the toe? I hope you can start working out already.

Okay,.. going to go to Trader Joe’s now and pick up some goodies. I’m going to get to try the 0% fage today! YAY!! Finally .. sheesh.. I’m going to try to see if I can find any other good stuff for the coming week.

Oh, and guys.. after reading that one link Mara put up re: some of the stuff at the restaurants i.e. Mac Grill….. I don’t think I ever want to go there again.. AND I’m going to start bringing my own dressing for salads from now on. I don’t even care if people think I’m weird. Cause 1000+ calories for salads or for a salmon dinner is ridiculous. If they had the nutrition info next to it… I would NOT eat it for sure. But now that I know how scary high those cals are, it’s not even that appealing to me anymore. After all the sweat and hard work I go through just to burn 500 calories, I sure as h*ll don’t think it’s worth it to eat a plate of greens and consume 1000 cals for that. No way, Sisters! Next time I go eat with friends.. I’m going to start giving the nutrition info on the dishes they order, I’ll bet you they won’t be eating a lot of the things they’d normally would have ordered. But then again, some people don’t care.

Okay, this weeks calories; I met my goal of burning 3000!!! YAY!!!! My goal is to workout 6 days a week/500 cals per day. For this week I’ve worked out 5 days, and I’m already at 3010 calories burned total. On Monday I pretty much did 650 cals. And then Friday morning I did 632 cals. And I did 100 extra here and there on different days. And the most important thing is that after I started doing all this cardio stuff since 2 weeks ago, I feel good about myself. Man, I should I started this way before. But oh well, no point with all the “IF onlys”. But thanks to this WWT, it really got me started.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend….

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, we''re back from dinner and we tried a Tapas restaurant called of all things......"The Humble Pie." Kind of an odd name for a Tapas place. It''s downtown in the warehouse district, so the location is cool. The interior is warm and comforting and the food was good, but WAY TOO SALTY. We had about 5 dishes including a Paella, a Mahi Mahi, Mini Crab Cakes, and Two veggie dishes, one a grilled squash and zuchini with shaved parmesan over marinara and the other a kind of grilled spinach pizza thing, but again both were just too salty for our tastes. Our taste buds have changed considerably since we started working out so much and eating so much healthier that we rarely use salt as a seasoning anymore. Most of the time, I find foods have enough salt naturally, but I used to be heavy salter in my fatter, smoke filled days. Actually smoking ruins your taste buds and you have to over season foods to get any flavor. When you quit smoking, your taste buds wake up and you find food tastes completely different than it did when you smoked. Anyway, just didn''t care much for the saltiness of tonights food, so this is a no-go-again restaurant for us.

Hope you all had a better Saturday night dining experience than we did.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww rod sorry to hear you had a disappointing night out at tapas. we love tapas here! there are some really wonderful places, and i love tasting lots of diff things so it's right up my alley.

lol DJ re the ice cream dilemma. do you guys have a cold stone creamery out there? been there, done that!! They have three sizes, like it, love it and gotta have it. most of their ice creams are more fat than anyone should consume in two days so it really doesn't matter what size, lol. but the like it of course is the best option. however the love it is only a quarter or something more than the like it. they totally mess with you!! i will say i want a like it and they are going 'oh only a quarter more'..and it's SO HARD to not just say okay sure..it's almost double the ice cream!!! but on the other hand, double the bad stuff too. i was cracking up when i read your post because i was reminded of my actual experiences. part of why i don't even go there anymore. i love their ice cream (they have basic flavors and they do custom mixes with things like brownies, oreos, fruits, etc) but after seeing nutritional info on it, it's pretty scary. i think the like it of what i used to have (sweet cream and coffee mixed with a small brownie mashed in) is like 600 cals and 30-40g of fat or something. for an ice cream! oh and if anyone is curious and loves ice cream, baskin robbins stuff, small regular scoop is not that bad typically most are around 250-350 cals for one scoop. and surprisingly enough ben and jerrys is not that bad either. i was looking their stuff up the other day and i used to get the cappucino chocolate chunk on a cone, just one scoop is only like 240 cals or something. definitely NOT that bad. gelato can run you about 250 cals for 1/2cup also. so considering that the cold stone is almost 3x that..i'll stick with a scoop of baskin or ben's if i am desperate. hehe.

seven..i know what you mean about hitting your workout stride sometimes after 30 min, at times i feel the same way. and many times at 45 min when i think i will be done in 5 min, i have enough energy and mindset to keep going til 60-70 minutes. a lot of times people on here are like 'how do you guys who do 60 min do it'...and in reality, i always start the machine with 40-45 on it and then just keep adding as i go along, i RARELY will ever drop down the # unless i feel really horrible...so if i add a minute or two, typically i do that. and then suddenly it's done. and even on days when the first 20 min i am thinking 'gosh i don't know if i can make it...'...i always do, hehe. mind games!

oh and i know what you mean also about restaurants. i am always suspicious now. i also bring my own dressing to places where i know i will have a salad and it might be iffy. some of my fave places, if you ask for dressing on the side, it comes and it's like 1/2 oil. do they really need that much oil? you can also do that and then pour off 90% of the oil, then remix it and use that so it's more baslamic than oil kinda thing. i like the flavor more that way also. and it's the same with DESSERTS ! after educating myself on desserts in many chain places and also seeing recipes online that look really yummy but are hugely packed with cals, i am sure most of the desserts we have out at places, even top notch 5 star places, are a ton of cals. sometimes you just gotta splurge (like last nite's bread pudding, i was like i don't care, i gotta have it!) but other times, like tonite...i'd rather come home and have a brownie or some ice cream and know that i'm getting my sweet tooth satiated for under 500 cals. hehe.

my cold feels better...i ended up napping this afternoon for 2 hours which helped a lot. tonite's good night of sleep hopefully will assist as well.

this afternoon greg and i walked portia over to her dog food store and then out and around the block a bit, so that was about a mile. and then tonite when we drove up to SC we parked near the boardwalk and walked to the wharf and out to the restaurants. the place was hoppin' since it is just starting to be really nice weather here (80ish today)...and the boardwalk had tons of activty. the restaurant we went to last time was out of fresh cracked crab so we walked all the way to the end of the wharf and found a place who did have it. we got a sampler starter which had coconut prawns (my fave!), clam strips and calamari, fried (no trans fat oil though, the restaurants were displaying signs to this effect) with some horseradish cocktail sauce (yum) w/tartar sauce. then we both had the cold cracked crab, which came with clam chowder which actually was surprisingly mediocre. i love clam chowder but i only ate about 1/3 of it, it just wasn't very good and who really needs the fat if it's not even good?! our crab was yummy and came with more of the horseradish cocktail sauce, yum and melted butter, i typically love butter but it was just not adding anything to the crab so i used the cocktail sauce. i got a 1/2 order and greg got the full but he eats so slowly and likes the body of the crab (which i don't..it's too time consuming for the meat you get), that i ate like 1/2 of his legs too. lol. and they had these big sourdough rolls, YUM...with butter. of course i had 2 of those, lol. so overall a fabulous meal. we walked back to the car (turns out it was about 1/2 mile each way so another ICU mile, yay), and then came home, took a nice hot bubble bath in our jacuzzi tub and now i am enjoying some slow churned mocha almond fudge ice cream before bed.

i was telling greg tonite, what is the deal with me and BREAD lately. i swear every time we go out i am literally glued to the bread basket! and butter, eee!! he said that he is sure it's because my body thinks i am trying to kill it (lol) so that it is using my love of bread against me to fuel itself. haha. i have always LOVED bread with butter, but lately it just seems like it's way more pronounced, like i can't sit there and not eat it. really weird. it hasn't given me any weird negative side-effects and i haven't gained weight, but bread is soo high in cals! why can't i be obsessed with watermelon or something hehe.

anyhow, time for bed...hope everyone had a great day!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, any chance that your recent job stress has fueled your desire to eat the hell out of some bread? For me, times when I crave soft, warm, chewy things like bread, pasta, cereal, etc. are the ones when I''m going through stressful times. Just a thought...

It was actually warmish here today, and nice enough that I got to take my Miilo out for a 45 minute walk! I haven''t done that since the past fall and it was so nice to get out and walk around the neighborhood again. Of course everyone and their brother were out walking their dogs as well and wanted to stop and visit, so it wasn''t really one of those "workout" walks where I got to hit a good stride, but it was a good getting-back-into-the swing of things walk, anyway. Tomorrow I am dog sitting all morning, we have new carpet being installed in the basement, which will require me keeping both Milo and the new puppy, Daisy outdoors and entertained until it''s finished. I plan to run them around til they''re too tired to be interested in the new carpeting, lol!

So I''ve been smoke free for three weeks now....in case anyone cares, hee hee. My biggest quitting tool has been paying $600 to get my Zoom whitening done and keeping up with the bleaching trays for the last couple weeks...I don''t want to ruin what I started, ha! Thanks again for all the input and encouragement, it definitely has helped.

Too many posts to respond to on this thread anymore! I love reading through it, though. I have to tell you guys that I''m seriously considering going vegan (from being a vegetarian for the last couple years) . After all I''ve done for my body in the last few years what with working out and eating more healthfully I feel like it''s the next step in the right direction for me. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m a huge bread lover but try to stick with multi grain and Smart Balance light butter.
rod-- I''m also able to detect too much salt in my food and really don''t like it at all. I''m so turned off
to any preservatives in my food also. There are so many healthy choices in food today, why settle for less?

Had a good Saturday workout at the gym. Right elbow has been sore, probably from weightlifting.

Enjoy the day everyone
35.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/11/2007 3:50:02 AM
Author: monarch64
Mara, any chance that your recent job stress has fueled your desire to eat the hell out of some bread? For me, times when I crave soft, warm, chewy things like bread, pasta, cereal, etc. are the ones when I''m going through stressful times. Just a thought...

It was actually warmish here today, and nice enough that I got to take my Miilo out for a 45 minute walk! I haven''t done that since the past fall and it was so nice to get out and walk around the neighborhood again. Of course everyone and their brother were out walking their dogs as well and wanted to stop and visit, so it wasn''t really one of those ''workout'' walks where I got to hit a good stride, but it was a good getting-back-into-the swing of things walk, anyway. Tomorrow I am dog sitting all morning, we have new carpet being installed in the basement, which will require me keeping both Milo and the new puppy, Daisy outdoors and entertained until it''s finished. I plan to run them around til they''re too tired to be interested in the new carpeting, lol!

So I''ve been smoke free for three weeks now....in case anyone cares, hee hee. My biggest quitting tool has been paying $600 to get my Zoom whitening done and keeping up with the bleaching trays for the last couple weeks...I don''t want to ruin what I started, ha! Thanks again for all the input and encouragement, it definitely has helped.

Too many posts to respond to on this thread anymore! I love reading through it, though. I have to tell you guys that I''m seriously considering going vegan (from being a vegetarian for the last couple years) . After all I''ve done for my body in the last few years what with working out and eating more healthfully I feel like it''s the next step in the right direction for me. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Congrats! That''s fantastic! Keep up the good work
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, three weeks -- good for you!!!

Mara, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. As for Cold Stone, we do have them here. One of them opened by our old place a few summers ago and there was a line, I kid you not, about 50 people deep at 10:30 at night. So the happy hubby and I were like, woah, this must be the best ice cream ever since all these other people are waiting here, right? So, lemmings that we are, we got in line too and waited until, again I kid you not, almost MIDNIGHT for the stupid ice cream. It was OK but not fabulous. And my biggest gripe (aside from the outrageous amount of cals and fat) was the price. Seriously, I think it was about $5 for a scoop of the smallest size with a couple of things in it. That was it for me. For $5 I'm waiting 'till the Ben and Jerry's goes on sale at the grocery store and gettin' two pints!

Last night we went to dinner at a French place that we hadn't been to for a while. I had had a long day and the scale was kind to me yesterday morning so I was going to allow myself the seak frites. Well, on the way to our table I saw someone with the most marvelous looking chocolate martini on the planet. My brain went into self bargaining mode and I quickly switched to no bread (I did have one piece about the size of a silver dollar with the tiniest bit of butter on it), shrimp cocktail for an appetizer and the grilled salmon with roasted veggies for an entre, all so I could splurge and get the martini for dessert. Irony of ironies, I was too full at the end to want it! But the happy hubby knew how excited I was about it so he said, oh, let's just go walk around for a while and we'll get one somewhere else. So we went to Borders and ended up spending a fortune on the 3-for-2 book rack and some other things, and then we went to another bar toward our house to get one. Of course I ate all the peanuts and sesamee sticks out of the little bowl of salty snacks they put in front ot me, but all in not exactly a train wreck.

This morning I woke up thinking about a grilled cheese sandwich. I used whole grain bread and grated the chedder so I didn't use too much of it, and it was DELICIOUS. Of course the damn thing was like 480 cals, but the HH is off at the grocery store right now buying a bunch of fruit so I'll make it up with a low call lunch.

That's all for now. Gotta get ready for my open house. The weather is good so I'm hoping for a bunch of people through!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results