shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th March till 11th March.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

Spring is kicking and screaming all the way, but slowly and surely she is beginning to make her prescence felt in the British Isles. I have daffies and violets in the garden, birds are singing, trees are budding, intermingled with more horrible rain and mud...
14.gif

Anyway, I was thinking now is a great time for us to reevaluate our goals, T shirt weather isn't far off and you can make a huge difference in 8 weeks when the nice weather should be here ( even in England!) Just by working that bit harder can make the difference between wearing that tight T shirt and loving what you see, or having that niggling doubt that you spy back bacon or the old gut is protruding a little too much etc. So onwards we go WWTers, we will all be able to make great changes in time for the good weather!

Thanks for your kind words MrsSalvo, I will definitley pass them onto Hubby. I am so proud of what he has achieved for his health, his blood pressure was a concern for many years, so this is huge for us!!!!

Rod, I am rooting for you whatever you decide to do, what a major spanner thrown into the works....
6.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning!

Violets are my favorite flower, I even carried them in my wedding.
5.gif

Back bacon, that cracks me up.
9.gif

Hope everyone has a good week.

Rod, follow your gut.
2.gif

*looking at back in mirror*

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

Went to the gym this morning and did 20 mins/175 cals on the elliptical. It''s not earth-shattering, but I''m happy with it. I really wanted OFF after 15 minutes, but then I started back-pedaling and that kept me going for another 5 minutes. Am checking out the iPod shuffle though -- I really think that will help keep me going! Back in my college days, I know that I could do the steps for all of Terrapin Station (haha, any other old Dead Heads out there?) -- which was about 45 minutes but I just thought of it as "Do it till the song is over!" instead of "How many more minutes?!"-- so I know that music definitely helps make the time go by faster
1.gif
It''s hard to be motivated to Al Roker telling me about a storm front or some video to a song I''ve never even heard of (what''s ususally on the TVs in the am).

We went skiing yesterday, and for me that is a full body workout because I use every muscle in my body just to keep from falling down the #(*#% mountain (let''s just say I''m sticking with greens after a harrowing first try down a blue yesterday!)! So I''m a bit sore today - but in a good way! My muscles definitely feel used between more frequent gym trips and skiing yesterday
36.gif

Mara, I don''t know if I love you or hate you for telling us about those mini Hostess cupcakes ...
11.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Monday All!

Dinner was fantastic last night. It''s amazing, but this restaurant gets better every time we go there. We started off splitting a winter fruit salad w/ arugula pears, pomegranite seeds, jellied beets and pistachio pesto. For 2nd course we split jerk pork with hot jelly, I had one piece John had two. We both had short ribs w/ potato foam and winter vegetables for dinner and split maple carmelized bananas, dates and coconut ice cream for dessert. And I had 2 glasses of the most wonderful Zin (2003 Prisoner) and glass of sparking wine with dessert. Oh my goodness, the whole meal was spectacular!

Today is a workout day, and a very busy school day. Tonight will be dinner at home.

ellailia: It''s those little mountains we manage to climb that make all the difference later. Good for you for sticking to your workout.

Lorelei: Back bacon? Oh no!!! Is that where the pork I ate last night is going to go? I sure hope not!

DeeJay: I was telling J about your salty experience last week at that restaurant and he said he thought he''d read a review of it in Chicago mag, or at least some new restaurant that put too much sea salt in EVERYTHING!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday morning!

Kimberly, if only one of the things had had a bit (or even too much) salt it would have been OK, but EVERYTHING? I'll have to go and see if we have the back issues of Chicago Magazine around and check out if that was the review for this place.

Ellaila, congrats on a great workout! And I'm afraid of the mini Hostess cupcakes. I would eat them all in short order I'm afraid...

Lorelei, back bacon--ha ha!!! Actually I went into Victoria's secret on Saturday to check out the Apex bra and I have to say that I have significantly less (really maybe *almost* none) back bacon than when I joined this forum a few months ago.

(Side note -- are those people at VS kidding??? Their sizing is SO FAR OFF it's not even funny. I tried on not only my size but the next size up in both number and cup and I was still EXPLODING out of the thing. Maybe if I was a 32A I would be thrilled if I could walk out of VS with like a 34B or something, but seriously, as a 36C I don't need to be made into a 38DD!!!)

Mara, you are truly evil for telling me about those brownies -- I have eaten 5 of them in 16 hours. Someone stop me before I hurt myself!

No workout tonight becuase I am going to Red Lobster with one of my girlfriends (I *should* hang my head in shame but I'm not gonna!
9.gif
). This week (and maybe next week too depending on how it goes) I am hoping to do three day cycles. Treadmill, elliptical, day off. Treadmill, elliptical, day off. Hopefully that will work out because I think doing the treadmill two days in a row was too much for my chest this weekend. Not to mention slinging those heavy metal open house signs around didn't do me any favors yesterday... The scale hasn't really been too unkind to me these past few weeks though so I am not discouraged by my inactivity.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe...back bacon is most descriptive isn't it?
41.gif
Also it is a pig( pardon the pun) to get rid of
9.gif

I won't be working out later as I have dropped a large bottle of perfume onto my socked and vulnerable foot from a great height, so I am now limping with a very bruised little toe...
20.gif
I despair today....

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei: Your poor toe!

DeeJay: We have all the back issues laying around, I''ll ask John to figure out which restaurant it is.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kim....
8.gif
It bloody well hurts
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei -- YOWCH!!! You poor thing!

The morning after the prom my junior year I was digging around in the freezer and a frozen cornish hen fell out and landed squarely on my next toe in from the piggy toe. SOB turned blue/purple and hurt like mad for days. I totally feel for you!!!

To this day I cringe every time I think about this...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 11:19:51 AM
Author: Lorelei
I won''t be working out later as I have dropped a large bottle of perfume onto my socked and vulnerable foot from a great height, so I am now limping with a very bruised little toe...
20.gif
I despair today....
Aww, I''m sorry.

console.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear about your toe Lorelei.......

Kimberly that meal had me salivating. Wow.......sounded like a gastronomically (not sure that''s a real word) outstanding dining experience!!

Ellen.......I will trust my gut and hope it leads me down the right path. Thanks for the advice!!

Ellaila: Skiing and the elliptical? Sounds like you''re doing quite well on the fitness front.

No workout for us today. It''s Monday and since you know us, it''s a Sushi night, not a workout night. But, we''ll be back in the gym Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I pushed really hard yesterday and my left arm is actually quite sore today. I need a day off.

Hope everyone''s started their week on a positive note.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha hey guys now is the time to practice your self control!!! aka hostess mini cakes or no pudge brownies staring you in the face? stare them down!!! actually i am typically pretty good about that stuff, but it doesn't keep me from THINKING about eating them. it seems like i am always thinking about eating something sweet lately, haha. at least as it's only thinking i'm okay. lol. also i find that if i mentally schedule the next time i can have whatever i want, it keeps me from binging on it. like if i know i'm having a cinnamon roll this morning, it makes me not want to eat extra dessert last nite or whatever. something to look fwd to the next day or next evening or whatever. mind games! just like on the machines to get yourself to go longer. oh and the best part is that even if you eat the whole box of mini cupcakes, it's only 600 cals. i find that makes it easier for me NOT to want to do it. sure it's only 600 but that's like a dinner. and on cupcakes? NAH!!!

ela..here is a trick for you. first off def get that ipod girl, or something to play tunes on. it's crucial and much easier to make mind games on the elliptical happen to music. aka i'll just replay this one song then get off. or this is a sweet song i want to finish it. but in the meantime, can you get a mag or something? that helps me. aka i just want to finish this article. also, do your minute workout. but on minute 19, gauge how are you feeling. how are your LEGS...not your mind. are they okay? bump up the workout one minute. on days i feel really tired or just mentally out of it, i do this...i basically get to 40 minutes...i always set the machine to 45 even though i almost always do 55-65. 45 is a nice number i like to think about. so at 40 im like YES 5 more minutes (even though i know i'll go longer lol)...and then at 43 i'm like oh yeah i can do 46. so i bump it up one minute. at 45 i'm like yeah just one more. 47. this gets me typically to 55! sometimes i have to laugh because i do it a lot or i do it in 2-3 minute increments to songs or something but on days i'm feeling really out of it, one minute increments mentally kind of 'satiate' the boredom or tiredness monster because come on..we can ALL do one more minute right? but that one more minute turns into 8 of them and suddenly it's 53 minutes instead of 45...or in your case, 28 instead of 20...then do a 2 minute warmdown at a slow pace and you're done. and with 10 more minutes and about what? 80-90 more cals? eked out...and you will feel so much better!!

anyway that's my tip...i think it really does work (the 1 minute thing) on days you just feel you can't push anymore because i think our bodies can really surprise us. then when you get the ipod all bets are off because you'll already have mastered the 1 minute extensions so you'll be doing 45 on the machine in no time! hehe.

kimberly your dinner last nite sounds yummy!! our pasta primavera dinner went off fabulously...except i made a ton more than we needed which surprised me...because i thought i gauged the portions pretty well. but we have a ton of pasta left over, like 1/2 a bag! i used 1.5 bags for the 4 of us...which was 9 servings. i figured we'd have a serving or so left over but we have a ton. and i gave greg like 2.5 servings and my friend's fiance 2ish servings, while me and my girlfriend got like 1-1.5 servings. so i'm making fresh sauce tonite and we'll toss the pasta in and reheat it and eat it again tonite. it turned out yummy though and i love lots of veggies, so a big hit. we didn't have salads since the pasta and bread was more than enough. and dessert turned out great as well. a really fun way to make something look fancy when it's not. and i dont think anyone knew it was really healthy lol...even better!

breakfast this morning was one of those awesome 260 cal, 1g fat cinnamon rolls (seriously my new favorite thing) with coffee. i scheduled a lighter week again this week trying to stay at around 1550 average cals per day instead of 1800-1900...and taking today off from working out...want to see how my body responds to doing maybe 4x workout this week instead of 7. probably is that i am totally addicted to working out, lol. i actually look fwd to hitting the gym! plus i may only be at my co 1/2 week this week so i will have extra time, we'll see. i figure if my body feels good i might as well do it. even if i don't have to go that much. i am still maintaining...and i might even have lost another lb or two, we'll see...the scale is all over the place, aka i can lose up to 3 lbs in one workout but it's back the next time i go, then i lose it again, so it is confusing...i figure week to week it's about the same though i have a feeling i am still building more body fat as my body looks very lean and clothes are still continuing to fit even better, so it's all positive.

oh and yesterday i spent 2 hours in the patio garden, digging, planting, pulling weeds, repotting things, etc. definitely a mini workout, i can feel it in my core and lower back this morning...i looked it up online and gardening/planting was about 250 cals burned per hour (gardening/hoeing was like 350 and another even more strenuous one was like 500!)...but i am just figuring i did maybe 200-300 for the 2 hours on a rough estimate to lowball it. so i basically got 2 workouts yesterday...hehe. i'm 3/4 of the way done so i hope to finish up this week if i do end up not doing a full week at work...if not then next weekend for sure.

anyhow, it's sunny here which makes me very happy...hopefully this last week at this co won't be that bad. and i put in my res for this contract position at a large reputable company out here...my friend works there...and the hiring manager emailed to do a phone interview, so i am keeping my fingers crossed...it would be PERFECT for me while i figure out what i want to do next. i just hope the hiring manager agrees...hehee.

hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2007 11:31:27 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Lorelei -- YOWCH!!! You poor thing!

The morning after the prom my junior year I was digging around in the freezer and a frozen cornish hen fell out and landed squarely on my next toe in from the piggy toe. SOB turned blue/purple and hurt like mad for days. I totally feel for you!!!

To this day I cringe every time I think about this...
OMG !!!!
40.gif
I thought I was unfortunate, but that must have been excruciating !!!

Thanks for the comforting Ellen....( we need a wistful looking smiley!)
37.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen, your little sympathizing emoticons actually made me laugh out loud!! Too cute! I always rub hubby Q''s head (he''s like a dog or cat -- he loves getting his head rubbed! And he shaves it, so I like how it feels against my hand too), so it totally cracked me up
9.gif

Lorelei, take care of that little piggy toe! Funny how sometimes the littlest things can hurt so darn much!

Mara, thanks for the advice. I''m totally into the little blue iPod shuffle, so I think I''m going to get one. Now I just have to figure out how to put music on it ...
33.gif
I''m seriously like from a different generation when it comes to this whole MP3 thing. I just never got on the bandwagon!

Q also said something the other day about how acidic fruits help burn fat, so I think you''re probably onto something with your "people who drink more than 500mg of vit C per day have been shown to burn up to 30% more body fat than those who do not" -- because most people are probably getting that Vit. C through OJ, right? And OJ = citric acid. I wish I could eat more fruit but so many fruits (apples, oranges, grapes) just make me ravenous!!

Kimberly, what is potato foam?? And "maple carmelized bananas, dates and coconut ice cream for dessert" -- OMG.
18.gif
Maple. Caramelized. Bananas.

DJ, enjoy LOBSTER FEST!!
9.gif

Rod, I need to go back and read like nine million posts ago to start at the beginning of your whole FL/NC saga!! But even without knowing ALL the details, I know enough to be in shock at the latest development. Good luck with this -- and remember, things do happen for a reason (even if we can''t see that reason for the life of us at the time!!)! It''ll all work out in the best way possible because YOU seem like the type of person to take a situation and make the best of it!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 11:58:02 AM
Author: ellaila
Ellen, your little sympathizing emoticons actually made me laugh out loud!! Too cute! I always rub hubby Q''s head (he''s like a dog or cat -- he loves getting his head rubbed! And he shaves it, so I like how it feels against my hand too), so it totally cracked me up
9.gif
LOL!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Rod, it really was quite an amazingly delicious experience.

Elaila: Potato foam is potatoes made foamy, it almost looks like foamy soap, it tastes like EXTREMELY light potatoes, made almost like mashed potatoes, most of the time, but processed through a sieve and then with a foamer instead of a potato masher. They put it over the veggies (a baby carrot, a baby artichoke heart, a rutabega (sp?)). I believe they started making it at restaurants like Daniel (NYC) and French Laundry (Yountville/Napa) and is now having the trickle down effect into nicer restaurants that aren''t as upscale as Daniel and FL. Dessert was delicious, and perfect for splitting. There were 4 slices of banana, about 1" thick each, 4 dates and a scoop of ice cream, less than 1/4 of a cup, so we got those great flavors without that overwhelmingly full feeling. It is one of my favorite things about this restaurant, they take a minimalist approach to food. It''s fresh, what''s in season, can be locally bought and their portion sizes are reasonable (not of claim jumper fame).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ella..i just take a pill vitamin that has 500mg of vit c in it, or airborne all winter to fend off sickness which has 1000mg of vitC. so that''s how i got most of my vitC over the winter. i do like citrus fruits though. DJ re the grapefruit diet, there was an article in a shape mag recently about the retro diets that are coming back (weight watchers, fiber diet, counting calories etc) and in there they also talked about other things that people think worked and one was the grapefruit diet like you mentioned but this was you eat a grapefruit for breakfast each morning (and maybe before lunch?)...i guess one grapefruit only has like 60cals and 6g of fiber, so it''s a very high fiber fruit, so they were saying the idea behind it is basically that it just keeps you fuller longer. and i would imagine eating one before eating anything else at every meal would help you eat less at each meal too. but you gotta like grapefruit, and i just really don''t like it THAT much. i do like pommelos though, which are from the grapefruit family, but i dont know if it has the same ''effect'' as the grapefruit.

ow lorelei, take care of that toe!! i hate when i do stuff like that. i am such a clumsy person i am always stubbing my pinky toe on things...i''m surprised it doesn''t jut out at a strange angle by now. hehe.

on the ''foam'' front there are other ways of doing foam, aka i have had an amazing scallops dish previously with ''truffle foam'' which has the taste of the truffles but is just the light foam, it adds a lot of flavor to whatever you are eating but with a light foam feel...i love when dishes have foam going on...hehehe.

on a random note, if anyone has any cool new recipes to add to the ''healthier'' recipes thread, please do!!!
2.gif

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
We made a great chicken in peanut sauce last night but the recipe I used did not have calories, whereas another one that is similar does have the calories, so I want to post but felt bad doing so without calories.

The one I used is from Cooks.com and the other one was from the CookingLight site.

M

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Here''s some before and after fun for all of you. Here''s a picture of me about 5 years ago, at my heaviest.

KAMBefore.JPG

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
And here''s me last night, prior to doing my make up.

KAMAfter.jpg

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
I may not post often but read all the time and want to say

NO WAY - OMG - YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

Great Work!!!!!

M

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!! That''s an amazing transformation!

If you don''t mind my asking what was the ultimate motiviation or the "straw that broke the camel''s back" so to speak that got you on the road to loosing weight? I''m always interested in motivational factors (many of which I can often relate to myself).

BTW, did I say WOW!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe kimberly, you look fabulous woman and i love your hair now!!! super motivational to see the before and after!

nejarb asked me for some before and afters too, i have been thinking about it, i have to go through my old digital photos but i am trying to remember where i might have a full body kind of ''before''...honestly i dont think i look THAT hugely diff (18 lbs?) but maybe i do. i have some pictures we took when greg''s mom was here in jan that i can post for ''after'' i guess..even though i am thinner now a little bit than then. anyway i will see what i can do as well..hehe.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Checking in to say hi everyone, have not fallen off the wagon, but seemed to have sprained my right ankle climbing the stairs of our villa in Koh Samui, Thailand. I was running up and down the stairs in lieu of exercising at a gym .
3.gif
I don''t like running and will do anything to avoid it, and climbing the stairs seemed like a good option at the time!

I''m taking it easy for the next couple of days. We are back in Singapore and will head to the US at the end of the week for a few days, and then on to europe. I have been mainly good foodwise, but I haven''t been near a scale in a week so couldn''t measure my weight.

Hope everyone is well!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stupid question time!!!

This is about the whole Vitamin C thing and burning more fat: Is it just as good to get the C in the form of a supplement (like a multi-vitamin) or is it better to get it in the form of food/drink? Also, how much do you really need to take in to actually GET 500 mgs, because I know some of it gets lost in the "processing"?

I''ve been off reading different things on the internet and now I''m confused...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I have very few pictures of myself when I was fat, maybe 10 or so during that 2 year period. I avoided cameras at all costs.

Thanks for the compliment, merrijoy, that''s really sweet of you!

I don''t mind you asking at all, DeeJay. The before picture was actually the occasion that became the initial catalyst. The two girls in the photo were friends from HS/community college that I hadn''t seen in several years. We went to a party in honor of an old mutual friend who had graduated from USC. I was mortified to go see them and was so sad, embarrassed and uncomfortable that entire night. About a week later I went to the MD and looked at the number when I got on the scale for the first time in about 2 years. Ever visit prior I shut my eyes and told them I didn''t want to know the number. It said 199 and I flipped. I was determined not to hit 200. I went to WW two days later (and the scale read 201), sort of followed their program, didn''t really buy into it so started a program for myself and just stuck to it. I am determined never to feel as bad about my physical self as I did that night or as disappointed in myself as I did at the doctor''s office the following week.

Thanks so much for the compliment, Mara. John had to pull my box of pictures down so I could find a fat pic and he was like "wow, you should be so proud of yourself." But I''m not really, I''m more upset that I ever let it get so bad. It is motivational though. My old boss kept a fat picture of me hanging in her office as motivation (she met me when I was losing weight and about 20 lbs. more than I weigh now, not much trimmer/fitter than I was at my highest weight). She would look at it, come look at me and then walk away from the kitchen. it was funny.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2007 2:11:48 PM
Author: KimberlyH
And here''s me last night, prior to doing my make up.
So Like WOW WOW WOW!! Fabulous transformation to say the least. You go Kimberly!!!!!!!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 2:45:25 PM
Author: KimberlyH
I have very few pictures of myself when I was fat, maybe 10 or so during that 2 year period. I avoided cameras at all costs.

Thanks for the compliment, merrijoy, that''s really sweet of you!

I don''t mind you asking at all, DeeJay. The before picture was actually the occasion that became the initial catalyst. The two girls in the photo were friends from HS/community college that I hadn''t seen in several years. We went to a party in honor of an old mutual friend who had graduated from USC. I was mortified to go see them and was so sad, embarrassed and uncomfortable that entire night. About a week later I went to the MD and looked at the number when I got on the scale for the first time in about 2 years. Ever visit prior I shut my eyes and told them I didn''t want to know the number. It said 199 and I flipped. I was determined not to hit 200. I went to WW two days later (and the scale read 201), sort of followed their program, didn''t really buy into it so started a program for myself and just stuck to it. I am determined never to feel as bad about my physical self as I did that night or as disappointed in myself as I did at the doctor''s office the following week.

Thanks so much for the compliment, Mara. John had to pull my box of pictures down so I could find a fat pic and he was like ''wow, you should be so proud of yourself.'' But I''m not really, I''m more upset that I ever let it get so bad. It is motivational though. My old boss kept a fat picture of me hanging in her office as motivation (she met me when I was losing weight and about 20 lbs. more than I weigh now, not much trimmer/fitter than I was at my highest weight). She would look at it, come look at me and then walk away from the kitchen. it was funny.
Too funny and great inspiration...step away from the kitchen, ha!

M

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
WOWEE, Kimberly!!! What a transformation! And I love your fireplace too
1.gif

Oh, and DJ, not a dumb question -- I have no idea the answer to it! I take 1 or 2 EmergenCs a day (super orange), and I can't say I've really noticed a difference in any way, but I like to think it's doing something good for me behind the scenes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha DJ i don't know, i just didn't put that much thought into it.
3.gif
the article just said those who consumed 'over 500mg of vit c' so everytime i took a vitamin or an airborne or whatever i was like well i'm covered. i don't know much more other than that one tidbit i read but i figured hey 30% more fat even if it's intermittent might be worth having more vit c just in general.

oh and ela..if you are taking emergenC and counting cals be sure to count the 25 cals each packet is. airborne is 0 so i have been liking that better, hehee.

so i found a few pictures on ofoto this morning since i'm slow at work, haha...that are not the best quality but showcase the changes my face and upper body went through from losing weight... should i post the collage just wait til i have a full body kinda picture for comparison..?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results