shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th March till 11th March.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2007 8:54:03 AM
Author: lovelylulu
and i discovered another tasty and healthy snack -- edamame. I think that a half a cup shelled (lots) is roughly 120 calories with lots of protein and fiber. yum. thanks TJs for another great item.
HI:

I enjoyed these the other day, but haven''t seen them anywhere to purchase to eat at home. They''d be in the fresh food section, no? Anyway, still the same as my weight has neither increased or decreased, always around 51kg. Oh I''ve decided on having a "dry" March and maybe April too; that''s got to be good for one''s health?

I enjoyed the pictures! Everyone looks fab! Hope your toe improves, Lorilee.

cheers--Sharon

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
merrijoy, my hubby has done atkins and south beach and lost weight on both of them. the problem, there is no way to keep up those diets as a lifestyle. the food is way to heavy and it really messes with your digestive system. I think it''s much better to find a meal plan that is realistic in the types of foods we eat every day. didn''t mr. atkins die from a heart attack? If he followed his own diet, i''m not sure he''d be the best example
40.gif

as so many have proven in this thread. a healthy approach to eating, controlled portion size and exercise is what''s going to make a permanant change.

this is the first time my hubby has tried counting calories, eating fruits and veggies and reducing serving sizes. he''s only been doing it a couple of days but I know his results will be good and look forward to posting in a few weeks his changes.

so far I''ve had my E7- vitamin drink I take with high fiber soy milk and cherry pie larabar and a bottle of water. lunch will be half turkey sandwhich, fruit and low cal chips, snacks later and I haven''t decided yet what to make for dinner but may try one of the recipes posted here. i''ve saved a few and can''t wait to make them..

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 12:13:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 3/7/2007 8:54:03 AM
and i discovered another tasty and healthy snack -- edamame. I think that a half a cup shelled (lots) is roughly 120 calories with lots of protein and fiber. yum. thanks TJs for another great item.
HI:

I enjoyed these the other day, but haven''t seen them anywhere to purchase to eat at home. They''d be in the fresh food section, no? Anyway, still the same as my weight has neither increased or decreased, always around 51kg. Oh I''ve decided on having a ''dry'' March and maybe April too; that''s got to be good for one''s health?

I enjoyed the pictures! Everyone looks fab! Hope your toe improves, Lorilee.

cheers--Sharon
I hear you can buy them frozen at Whole Foods - I love edamame and get it a lot when we go for sushi.
My friend said you just steam the frozen ones in the microwave.

HTH

Mer

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 12:14:00 PM
Author: mrssalvo
merrijoy, my hubby has done atkins and south beach and lost weight on both of them. the problem, there is no way to keep up those diets as a lifestyle. the food is way to heavy and it really messes with your digestive system. I think it's much better to find a meal plan that is realistic in the types of foods we eat every day. didn't mr. atkins die from a heart attack? If he followed his own diet, i'm not sure he'd be the best example
40.gif

as so many have proven in this thread. a healthy approach to eating, controlled portion size and exercise is what's going to make a permanant change.

this is the first time my hubby has tried counting calories, eating fruits and veggies and reducing serving sizes. he's only been doing it a couple of days but I know his results will be good and look forward to posting in a few weeks his changes.

so far I've had my E7- vitamin drink I take with high fiber soy milk and cherry pie larabar and a bottle of water. lunch will be half turkey sandwhich, fruit and low cal chips, snacks later and I haven't decided yet what to make for dinner but may try one of the recipes posted here. i've saved a few and can't wait to make them..
Thanks MrsSalvo,

I am sure your husband is much younger than my dad is and sometimes it is harder to reason with our elders.
I have mentioned numerous time about calories and he is still under the impression that calories do not matter at all due to articles and advice from the Atkins campaign.

And, Dr. Atkins passed away by slipping on ice and hitting his head. But the reports say his veins and arteries were as clean and healthy as a newborn baby - making my dad all the more willing to partake in red meats and bacon - argh!

ETA: Here is another article similar to the previous: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17484912/
My parents now think Atkins diet is wonderful.

Mer

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh those low-carb diets are so over...i mean seriously who wants to only eat meats and dairy. gross. i tried that for like a week and afterwards i was so turned off all i wanted were carbs. how much red meat and dairy can you eat? plus that's just not healthy in my opinion, i think you should have carbs, fat, protein, fiber etc...all in the right portions.

i much prefer to just watch everything i eat and make it in moderation. that's why calorie counting for me is the way to go. honestly merrijoy you can't convince your parents of anything, my parents are the same way when it comes to trying to change their minds about something. maybe someday your dad will be ready to listen. good luck though!

here's my wed weigh-in stats:

height: 5'7"
weight: 133
bust: 35ish
arm: 9.5"
waist: 26.5"
lower waist: 33"
hips: 36.25"
thigh: 19.75"
calf: 13.75"

lost a bit in the measurements and about 1 lb on the scales from last week to this week. noticing my body looking more lean which is fun. i've been shopping online for bikinis...not even like we have a pool, but all my old stuff totally doesn't fit me anymore! i want to take a tropical vacation, anyone else game? hehee.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind wishes for my poor toe guys! I am going off to brave a workout shortly as I think I can try to get a tennis shoe on if I am careful, and yes Dee - those colours are most fascinating.....
9.gif
32.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and random addition...in that same article i was reading yesterday about tips from celebrity fitness trainers...one of them said something along the lines of ''if your goal is weight loss, you should see some changes within 2 weeks. if you do not see changes within 2 weeks, modify your diet or exercise or both. do not wait a month to make changes if you don''t see progress in 2 weeks''.

i thought that was kind of interesting because it took me a while to see a weight loss on the scale, like 2-3 months i think? but maybe i was just not doing it as ''right'' as i could have been? i think i was burning FAT and building MUSCLE...but i wonder if i had cut back on eating a bit more it would have shown faster results. i don''t mind my timeline, but anyway just figured i''d throw that out there since for a while i was kind of like ''hmm what''s going on''

so that comment just made me think of the few gals we have here who are plugging along but not really seeing the results they want in the timeline they want. if you feel game to switch things up, maybe add in another workout. or modify your diet a bit more, remove another 100 cals or something. see if it works.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 1:05:15 PM
Author: Mara
oh and random addition...in that same article i was reading yesterday about tips from celebrity fitness trainers...one of them said something along the lines of 'if your goal is weight loss, you should see some changes within 2 weeks. if you do not see changes within 2 weeks, modify your diet or exercise or both. do not wait a month to make changes if you don't see progress in 2 weeks'.

i thought that was kind of interesting because it took me a while to see a weight loss on the scale, like 2-3 months i think? but maybe i was just not doing it as 'right' as i could have been? i think i was burning FAT and building MUSCLE...but i wonder if i had cut back on eating a bit more it would have shown faster results. i don't mind my timeline, but anyway just figured i'd throw that out there since for a while i was kind of like 'hmm what's going on'

so that comment just made me think of the few gals we have here who are plugging along but not really seeing the results they want in the timeline they want. if you feel game to switch things up, maybe add in another workout. or modify your diet a bit more, remove another 100 cals or something. see if it works.
I was going to post about this today and do not have much time - way too busy at work, but I have dropped my cals tremendously - averaging about 1300, upped my cardio - burning at least 2000 cals a week, and nada. My weight is not changing and I am above and beyond frustrated. I did 6 days cardio last week and am doing my rotation on the weights - ie chest and tris, and then back and bis....

Very, very, very frustrated.....
33.gif

eta: eating protein smoothies with frozen fruit, luna bars, lcs, yogurt, and fruit, too....I can not change much more but to eat air and paper, maybe....

Mer

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
merrijoy,

to me, the most convincing reason that your father should pay no attention to that study in the paper is this:

"The 311 women who participated were mostly in their 40s and overweight, with no other major health problems."

this doesn't sound like your dad to me! also, it's not sustainable in the long run, as mrs. salvo and the article point out:

"The Atkins group lost the most in the first six months, with an average loss of 13 pounds, but they also gained back more weight in the second half of the study"

about the yogurt - dannon is just regular yogurt, while the fage is greek yogurt. greek yogurt has been strained to remove the whey and is much thicker, creamier, and less tart. not the same at all. i've been eating the fage for over a year, regular is totally unappealing to me now.

lorelei - be careful with your toe! i dropped something on one of mine (still not sure what...) in early september, killed off the entire right half of my toenail and it is still growing out many months later. i have to keep dark colored polish on it so it doesn't look all funky. the good news is that the pain went away after about 10 days.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 1:09:43 PM
Author: merrijoy

Date: 3/7/2007 1:05:15 PM
oh and random addition...in that same article i was reading yesterday about tips from celebrity fitness trainers...one of them said something along the lines of ''if your goal is weight loss, you should see some changes within 2 weeks. if you do not see changes within 2 weeks, modify your diet or exercise or both. do not wait a month to make changes if you don''t see progress in 2 weeks''.

i thought that was kind of interesting because it took me a while to see a weight loss on the scale, like 2-3 months i think? but maybe i was just not doing it as ''right'' as i could have been? i think i was burning FAT and building MUSCLE...but i wonder if i had cut back on eating a bit more it would have shown faster results. i don''t mind my timeline, but anyway just figured i''d throw that out there since for a while i was kind of like ''hmm what''s going on''

I was going to post about this today and do not have much time - way too busy at work, but I have dropped my cals tremendously - averaging about 1300, upped my cardio - burning at least 2000 cals a week, and nada. My weight is not changing and I am above and beyond frustrated. I did 6 days cardio last week and am doing my rotation on the weights - ie chest and tris, and then back and bis....

33.gif

eta: eating protein smoothies with frozen fruit, luna bars, lcs, yogurt, and fruit, too....I can not change much more but to eat air and paper, maybe....

Mer
I can understand the frustration. I am have been pretty consisitent now for 2 months and the scale is only registering 4 pounds or so. But the inches are moving and that is what is inspiring me. If I were to be honest, I''d have to wonder if my weekends are derailing faster progress, but I really think I have to enjoy some things, so I am being patient.

Not only that, this is not the first time I am losing weight "the hard way." The last time, the same thing happened...not much movement on the scale for a few months. I think your body tries to hold on the fat and when it realizes you won''t starve it, it starts to burn. For the first 4 months or so, I think I lost a total of 10 pounds (most of that in the last 2). Then the next 3-4 months, I lost 15-20 pounds. I couldn''t keep the weight on! It was like my metabolism was in hyper mode. I was able to maintain for 2 years, then TGuy moved in and I started really enjoying cooking for two (and eating for 1.5!)
20.gif

For me, it was every time I went on vacation, I was like...oh, I''m on vacation, I deserve this! Which is OK if your vacation is a week. My vacations were for a month, since I was going to Australia. I gained 5 pounds in 4 weeks...and it''s so easy to continue gaining after something like that.

Anyway, I remember Mara''s weight not moving for months. I also remember at the time she was doing moderate exercise (like walking Portia) about 3x a week. She did the detox thing and started ramping up her exercise around the same time. I''m ratcheting up my exercise even more, since pilates is not a big cardio workout and seeing what happens. My body is much more ready for the pain and torture now!!
9.gif

OK, here are my WWI#s. There is movement on the scale, but I am not trusting the scale much right now since it really does seem all over the place. However, the tape measure continues to inch down EVER so slightly (I have not increased in measurements since the WWIs started, which is good!)

Last week
Weight: 142.6
Bust: 36.5
Waist: 32.75
Hips: 39.45
Thigh: 21.75
Arm: 10

This week
Weight: 141.7
Bust: 36.3
Waist: 32.7
Hips: 39.45
Thigh: 21.7
Arm: 9.9

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 1:09:43 PM

33.gif

Mer
Merrijoy, I feel your pain. I refuse to weigh myself because I know I haven''t lost any weight. It sounds like you''re even more strict on your diet than I am. I am letting myself eat a little too much on the weekends, and I know it. But it doesn''t seem right that you''re not losing weight. It sounds like you''re almost eating too little for all the exercise you are doing. I would try to up your calories just a bit. Try going up to 1400 or 1500 calories per day for a week or so. If that doesn''t work, I don''t know what to tell you.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah i don't know how much i *totally* agree with the celeb trainers that you should see weight loss within 2 weeks...sometimes your body just does funky stuff! i totally think that mine was TRYING to hang onto the fat i had. i had to keep adding in more workouts and then doing the detox i think just totally 'shook things up' for my body. and that is when i started seeing the slides. and like TG from that point on it was like chunks..2-3 lbs here...continuously from what...september to december? then from jan to now it's been like 2-4 lb loss...but more INCHES again. the scale didn't move for me til recently again but my hips have continued to get smaller week to week. go figure. i'm sure how i lost is not indicative of what the majority experiences....bodies are so different.

also like TG i think my weekends out definitely slowed some progress for me. but like her, i love my food and i just could not cut that out too because that would not spell success for me. i find it much easier to eat well and ration portions and all that during the week...it's kind of like 'going to work' .. i just eat better and work out on schedule. but on the weekends, we love eto go out and eat and i hate thinking 'oh i shouldn't have dessert'. so my weeekends are splurges.

BUT one thing i did change and i think this also made a huge difference finally, was that i cut out big morning weekend breakfast and lunches. like we'd have sausage, eggs, toast, coffee and hash browns for a sunday morning breakfast, then i wouldn't eat til dinner and we'd have a big splurgey dinner. when i really got SERIOUS about losing the weight, we changed to eat typical 'weekday' small weekend meals OR i made something special for us that was GOOD for us too, like multigrain pancakes, or scrambled egg whites with whole wheat toast. haven't had sausage in a long time now. and then healthy snacks between lunch and dinner, aka fruit or fiber cereal. and then having a splurgey dinner as my 'sole' thing for that day.

so i think that by having a more sensible weekend breakfast and then snacks throughout the day (healthy) then doing the night dinner splurge was not a big deal. so figure out of what...21 'meals' a week...(3 a day, 7 days a week), 19 of them are 'healthy' and lower in cals. then 2 are 'bad'. instead of it being more like 4-6 are bad.

oh and i kind of agree that maybe you should up your cals a bit. your body might be afraid it is starving and trying to hang on even harder to fat and SLOWING your metabolism. that is something you totally don't want. also are you spreading your meals out throughout the day to make your body have to be digesting something almost all the time? that seemed pretty effective as well for me.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 12:23:05 PM
Thanks MrsSalvo,

I am sure your husband is much younger than my dad is and sometimes it is harder to reason with our elders.
I have mentioned numerous time about calories and he is still under the impression that calories do not matter at all due to articles and advice from the Atkins campaign.

And, Dr. Atkins passed away by slipping on ice and hitting his head. But the reports say his veins and arteries were as clean and healthy as a newborn baby - making my dad all the more willing to partake in red meats and bacon - argh!

ETA: Here is another article similar to the previous: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17484912/
My parents now think Atkins diet is wonderful.

Mer
merrijoy, you might buy them Suzanne Sommers book, Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away. It''s a more low carb approach, but not like Atkins. It''s "low" carb in the respect that what she suggests eating, is naturally lower in carbs, and they''re complex. It basically includes meat, cheeses, fruit, veggies, whole grain products, nuts. She doesn''t restrict portions, you can eat as much fruit and veggies as you want (which atkins didn''t allow), although you don''t want to eat a ton of fruit a day, it IS like natures dessert, and has sugar in it. No white flour or sugar, or fast food. She also recommends some food combining, which I have done somewhat, but I''m simply not cutting out potatoes, forget it. lol

I tried it simply to lose weight, and even cheating lost quite a bit. I then got hubby to try it for his high cholesterol, as I didn''t want him on meds his doc was talking about putting him, for 6 months. His next testing his doc was ecstatic, he lowered the overall number 56 points, and brought HDL and LDL back to where they should be, along with a perfect liver profile, which he hadn''t had since first being tested.

There''s more to it, but you get the gist. They might go for this, and it truly is a healthy way to eat. Atkins is not.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Coda and all,

I have been all over the spectrum - ie up to 1700, now down to 1300...I just don''t know; and I had my blood tested and thyroid and all was well.

I don''t drink alcohol, soda, coffee - I only drink water most of the days and maybe half a glass of crystal light iced tea or low sugar grapefruit juice (8 oz is 40 cals). I don''t really splurge on the weekends besides Sushi 2 times a month.

I dropped 25 pounds in college by eating 300 cals and running about 50 miles a week....I think I messed up my metabolism and want to know how to get it back.

I am wondering about starvation mode too and dont get it. When does it happen? I tried doing research but could not find too much. IE if you eat say 1500 cals and burn 500 you are netting 1000 but if starvation happens under 1000 (does it?) then are you doing a disjustice??? Like I said, I have played with the numbers to no satisfaction...arg

29.gif

Thanks again everyone,

Mer

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Ellen,

Thanks,

I have not eaten white carbs since 1999. That is when I truly went carbless, but now eat whole wheat grains, whole wheat pasta and whole wheat rice (except for Sushi splurges). In 1999 my carbs were the Atkins way (under 20 grams)
I eat no potatoes at all. And I have cut out nuts entirely - just too much fats and calories.

One big question - for those losing, are any of you on Birth Control Pills???

Mer

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 1:39:37 PM
yeah i don''t know how much i *totally* agree with the celeb trainers that you should see weight loss within 2 weeks...sometimes your body just does funky stuff! i totally think that mine was TRYING to hang onto the fat i had. i had to keep adding in more workouts and then doing the detox i think just totally ''shook things up'' for my body. and that is when i started seeing the slides. and like TG from that point on it was like chunks..2-3 lbs here...continuously from what...september to december? then from jan to now it''s been like 2-4 lb loss...but more INCHES again. the scale didn''t move for me til recently again but my hips have continued to get smaller week to week. go figure. i''m sure how i lost is not indicative of what the majority experiences....bodies are so different.

also like TG i think my weekends out definitely slowed some progress for me. but like her, i love my food and i just could not cut that out too because that would not spell success for me. i find it much easier to eat well and ration portions and all that during the week...it''s kind of like ''going to work'' .. i just eat better and work out on schedule. but on the weekends, we love eto go out and eat and i hate thinking ''oh i shouldn''t have dessert''. so my weeekends are splurges.
I agree. I could certainly TRY to have a more regimented weekend when it comes to eating, but I want a lifestyle change. And having weekends where I am 1500 cals a day is just not realistic for my lifestyle. We get together with friends every weekend! If I were to cut that out to lose weight faster now, what happens when I add that back in? If I can lose weight while still having fun, then that is the way I want to do it...even if that means weigh ins are a lot less satisfying.

Mara, when I started dumping the weight, it was in chunks too. I felt like I lost 3-4 pounds every time I stepped on the scale (every other week or so). It was weird!

And how funny...TGuy and I do the same breakfast thing on weekends too. Big brekky and then no food til dinner. I am trying to change that by having something much more reasonable for breakfast, but going out is still a splurge. I love lazy Sundays with TGuy when we lounge around in bed until late morning, then go to our favorite hole in the wall breakfast place and just talk. It''s something I am not ready to give up yet, but I CAN give up all that extra toast, etc that comes with the meal!
1.gif
Lately I have been eating their "diet plate" which is about 460 cals. More cals than what I normally eat for breakfast but still reasonable.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

yes merrijoy i am on BC pills. i was convinced for a while back when i was in denial about getting serious...that the BC pills were making me chubby. well i went off them for 2-3 months. no difference. so i went back on them. no difference. for me it wasn''t any sort of weight gain from them. it was just all me. hehe. all i can say is stick with it!! you are doing what is RIGHT for your body...that you know. have you had your body fat tested? that could be what is going on too. aka if it was 28 when you started and now its 24 but you don''t see a scale change, your body is burning fat and building muscle. muscle is more dense than fat...and takes up more space so it seems to weigh more. i totally think the 2-3 months when i wasn''t seeing SCALE changes but i was seeing body changes that my body was turning fat to muscle.

okay just had to come in here and do a mini rave about the starbucks petite vanilla scone. i have been wanting to try one for a while and we just went over and i got a hot green tea so i decided to get a scone also. 90 cals, 2g of fat and SO YUMMY!!! seriously!!!! soft inside and it has icing on the top too. omg. what a great treat and for 90 cals. totally recommended.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No BC pills here.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock

Yes, of course I am going to stick with. It is what I do, it is what I have done for at least 8 years. I work out. I love it. I love to run and do cardio. It helps me relax. I love to sweat it out.

I have been on BC pills since 1997.

But years going by (not months as you all mentioned) is very, very frustrating. I will have my body fat tested (hopefully the gym does this for free? Anyone who goes to 24 hour fitness know?) But there has not really been a change in my stomach area at all (where I want that pudge GONE!). And even though I lost 5 pounds (from 130 to 125 pounds) my breasts seemed to have gotten bigger - holding steady at a large DD.

I am 5’ 0” again for reference.

ETA: I do space out my meals and have been doing lots of small meals now. I do not eat "dinners" most nights because it would be 10 pm by the time I get done with the gym, shower and laundry. I don't want to cook that late - so I do whey protein smoothies and now low fat string cheese....

EETA: oh, and unfortunately, there is no TJs down here, because that would be fantabulous as it sounds like it is much cheeper and more stuff than Whole Foods.

Thank you all again,

Sincerely,

Mer

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2007 1:53:40 PM

yes merrijoy i am on BC pills. i was convinced for a while back when i was in denial about getting serious...that the BC pills were making me chubby. well i went off them for 2-3 months. no difference. so i went back on them. no difference. for me it wasn''t any sort of weight gain from them. it was just all me. hehe. all i can say is stick with it!! you are doing what is RIGHT for your body...that you know. have you had your body fat tested? that could be what is going on too. aka if it was 28 when you started and now its 24 but you don''t see a scale change, your body is burning fat and building muscle. muscle is more dense than fat...and takes up more space so it seems to weigh more. i totally think the 2-3 months when i wasn''t seeing SCALE changes but i was seeing body changes that my body was turning fat to muscle.

okay just had to come in here and do a mini rave about the starbucks petite vanilla scone. i have been wanting to try one for a while and we just went over and i got a hot green tea so i decided to get a scone also. 90 cals, 2g of fat and SO YUMMY!!! seriously!!!! soft inside and it has icing on the top too. omg. what a great treat and for 90 cals. totally recommended.

Hmmmmmm........You know we live in Starbucks and our''s over here don''t have these petite vanilla scones and you know Rod LOVES scones. Hmmmmmm.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Merrijoy, I truly don''t know what to tell you. It sounds like you have been doing all the right things. If I did everything you''ve been doing, I would already be at my goal weight. But I''ve been cheating here and there, so at the same weight I stand. I''m trying to increase my cardio without eating less to see if I can lose some weight without changing my diet. If that doesn''t work, I will decrease what I''m eating. I''ve done two workouts this week of 45 minutes and 40 minutes. Tonight will be another 45 minute. It''s a lot easier to stay on the treadmill with music! Next week I will start throwing in a 60 minute workout, but I didn''t want to jump from 30 minutes right to 60 minutes. I''m going to try and do 5 workouts each and every week.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, I appreciate it Coda.

I love to work out but it is disappointing that I have nothing to show for my hard work and diligence.

If anyone else wants to "weigh" in (pun intended, ha!) please do so, especially regarding starvation mode.

TY,

Mer

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
my current weight stagnation is due completely to my weekends. we''ve had friends in town or gone out with friends with great consistency the past month and a half and as a result i eat/drink a whole lot more than during the week. Tgal, I hear you about not wanting to restrict your weekends too much, but i found, during my January alcohol hiatus, losing weight was easier. and actually, i was kind of on an exercise hiatus as well
emembarrassed.gif
. so maybe don''t have that last glass. or try to stick to a set number of glasses for an evening???

The edamame was frozen from TJ''s. to thaw, i just put the bag in a bowl of cold water. delicious!

and i''m having my daily fage and berries very soon
9.gif
i seriously HATED yogurt, but love this stuff.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
merr, i don''t have much to add, except i''m sorry that you are trying so hard, doing the right things and not getting the results you''re after. because this has been going on long term, my advise would be to talk to your doctor or some other professional, say a nutritionist. maybe there is a metabolism/thyroid issue?

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Merrijoy, I think I''m in the same position as you. I''ve been couting my calories for a month now...trying to stick to around 1300-1400 and I haven''t seen any real movement on the scale. I am riding my bike 70+ miles a week (6 workouts at 50 minutes each) and I don''t think I can do much more without starting to risk injury. I''ve had only 2 splurgey days in the whole month, which were like 1800 and 2000. Plus, I was hungry a lot.

I don''t know if I quite believe in the "starvation mode" theory, because people who are starving for real actually lose weight. I know the reasoning about metabolism slowing down and all, but I don''t know. You would think that eventually your body has to just give it up if your calories out exceed your calories in. I can''t find any real evidence or proof on it, just anecdotes, so I''m just skeptical.

But despite that, I looked up a bunch of my old calorie logs from 2-3 years ago, and most of the time I was at 1600-1700 calories. I was younger then, but that was when I was in the best shape. I can''t go on eating 1300 a day anymore, so I think I''m going to aim for around 1500 for now and see what happens.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 2:46:10 PM
merr, i don''t have much to add, except i''m sorry that you are trying so hard, doing the right things and not getting the results you''re after. because this has been going on long term, my advise would be to talk to your doctor or some other professional, say a nutritionist. maybe there is a metabolism/thyroid issue?
Lulu,

I talked to my doctor and they checked my blood and thyroid and all is well and good there. I did this about 4 times in the past 1+ years. I want to go to a nutrionist/dietician but it is not covered by insurance (unless you are obese - which I am not; I just want to lose ~ 10 pounds.) and it is quite expensive..

Thanks again.

Mer

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know rod, this petite vanilla scone is right up your alley. and yes they are small but it packs a flavor punch and the frosting thing on top is just ''icing on the cake''...lol. anyway you should ask them about it!! i know some stuff is regional but i found it online easily so that means probably multiple locations carry it.

basil,i would up your cals...see what happens. it can''t really hurt.

and re starvation, i do agree that over time people who actually are starving do lose weight. but it''s probably muscle. and your metabolism can be really low but your body still has to burn something. that''s not what you (or anyone) wants.

i have read multiple things that said to get out of a plateau, add another workout in and/or increase calories. i know it seems weird to increase but it''s worth a try maybe?!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 2:47:58 PM
Author: basil
Merrijoy, I think I'm in the same position as you. I've been couting my calories for a month now...trying to stick to around 1300-1400 and I haven't seen any real movement on the scale. I am riding my bike 70+ miles a week (6 workouts at 50 minutes each) and I don't think I can do much more without starting to risk injury. I've had only 2 splurgey days in the whole month, which were like 1800 and 2000. Plus, I was hungry a lot.

I don't know if I quite believe in the 'starvation mode' theory, because people who are starving for real actually lose weight. I know the reasoning about metabolism slowing down and all, but I don't know. You would think that eventually your body has to just give it up if your calories out exceed your calories in. I can't find any real evidence or proof on it, just anecdotes, so I'm just skeptical.

But despite that, I looked up a bunch of my old calorie logs from 2-3 years ago, and most of the time I was at 1600-1700 calories. I was younger then, but that was when I was in the best shape. I can't go on eating 1300 a day anymore, so I think I'm going to aim for around 1500 for now and see what happens.
Basil,

I agree about starvation, because aren't anorexics losing??? And people in Ethiopia... I do not get the whole thing!

But honestly there are some days when I am at 1300 cals and I am not hungry at all. And some where I am hungry....The luna bars (1 a day on some days) are quite filling.

ETA: about starvation - maybe it is at the point of 1000 cals though, because I am sure if I dropped again to 300 cals and burnt 500 I would lose....but not willing to do this again.

Mer

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
I have another Q for you all,

For those that do some sort of cardio activity during the day, 1) do you bring your sneakers with you or do you walk/do stairs in your work shoes? and 2) do you sweat, because in Florida it is getting quite warm, and I will sweat, and sitting in sweaty clothes, especially underwear, is not fun. I am very prone to yeast infections and utis and if anyone of you have ever had them, you know how uncomfortable and painful and PITA they are. Sorry, this may be TMI, but do you have special wipes you use to clean with?

I work in an office in a cube, I wish I could work from home like some of you, that would be great! I could shower after, but as it is, I already shower and wash my hair twice a day almost every day. After going to the gym and sweating, I must be in the shower within 20 minutes or else a yeast infection/UTI will strike....so no stopping off anywhere after working - I must go straight home...

Thanks,

Mer

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif

Date: 3/7/2007 2:12:38 PM
Author: Rod

Hmmmmmm........You know we live in Starbucks and our''s over here don''t have these petite vanilla scones and you know Rod LOVES scones. Hmmmmmm.
OK, I''m not trying to be evil here, I''m really not, but if you like scones, this is the BEST scone recipe I''ve ever made! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13789,00.html?rsrc=search (If for some reason that doesn''t work, go to foodnetwork.com and search on dried cherry scones)

Most scones are kind of dry, but these aren''t at all! They''re light and almondy with dried cherries in them ... just heavenly!!

I know they''re not exactly good for you (Food Network doesn''t list nutritional info, but I can only imagine), but since we also always talk about splurging once in a while, this is a tasty way to go
18.gif

Normally I wouldn''t post something like that here but I made them last night and brought them into work today, and literally every single person that had one raved about them, so I feel like I need to share the joy -- esp. since you were talking about scones anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results