shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th Feb till 11th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all
35.gif

As usual I was trying to think of something inspirational to start the week that we can use, but my thoughts kept turning to all of you and how well you all manage to enjoy life and food, yet put the work in to stay healthy. As I have mentioned in the past, trying to be perfect for all those years was getting me precisely nowhere with my weight and health, I was on the starve/ eat/ starve treadmill trying to stay skinny and thinking I had failed everytime I ate a candy bar.

One day it hit me - in counting every calorie and being so strict with myself was destroying any chance I had of keeping slim and HAPPY! Once I realised this and that I had had enough of this miserable way of life, I gave myself the gift of time and was finally able to see the bigger picture. I no longer wanted to live that way and began to make healthier food choices and not let myself get so hungry. This time I would have the patience to allow my body to gradually get into shape without forcing or punishing it and that exercise would be the key to doing this. I also would give myself permission to have a treat occasionally and think of it as part of enjoying life but not to do it all the time, success would come, as long as I was pushing forward and mainly making the right choices and effort, the occasional few chips or chocolate wasn't going to make any difference. I don't count calories as such as I found it didn't work for me, but I do have an overall idea of what my daily intake is and I go by mainly how my clothes fit and how I feel. Once you are on the right path for you, a little tweaking here and there of your exercise plan and eating can make a difference fast in how you look and feel, I find anyway.

So keep up the great work everyone, you all seem to have found, or are finding a way which works for you as individuals and the results are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, I look forward to your opening post every wk since I started (talk about putting the pressure on eh!), and as usual you never fail to deliver
9.gif

What you said about giving yourself the gift of time really hits the spot with me, in that the bigger picture is about leading a healthy lifestyle and making life changes, not just crash dieting to get into my skinny clothes. I am relearning how to eat, and incorporating regular exercise into my life. I have to learn that the occasional treat will not derail my plans. The WWT is one of the ways I keep myself motivated, and I thank all of you here for the support shown to everyone!

Last thursday I did weigh myself on the scales at the gym and noticed a kg loss, but I told myself I''ll believe it if it stays that way on Monday. It DID!! I had a great workout today, and my monday weigh-in showed a 1.4kg weight loss from last monday! I am fitting into a lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes now (fitting into the pre preggo jeans the wk before was an awesome moment
2.gif
).

I am going to have a couple of 74% dark cocoa now to celebrate
18.gif
! Moderation is the key!

Have a fabulous week everyone, and hopefully everyone didn''t overindulge over the superbowl wkend
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 6:09:57 AM
Author: JadeLeaves
Lorelei, I look forward to your opening post every wk since I started (talk about putting the pressure on eh!), and as usual you never fail to deliver
9.gif

What you said about giving yourself the gift of time really hits the spot with me, in that the bigger picture is about leading a healthy lifestyle and making life changes, not just crash dieting to get into my skinny clothes. I am relearning how to eat, and incorporating regular exercise into my life. I have to learn that the occasional treat will not derail my plans. The WWT is one of the ways I keep myself motivated, and I thank all of you here for the support shown to everyone!

Last thursday I did weigh myself on the scales at the gym and noticed a kg loss, but I told myself I'll believe it if it stays that way on Monday. It DID!! I had a great workout today, and my monday weigh-in showed a 1.4kg weight loss from last monday! I am fitting into a lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes now (fitting into the pre preggo jeans the wk before was an awesome moment
2.gif
).

I am going to have a couple of 74% dark cocoa now to celebrate
18.gif
! Moderation is the key!

Have a fabulous week everyone, and hopefully everyone didn't overindulge over the superbowl wkend
9.gif
I do try Jade, thanks for the kind words! I really used to get some negative thinking, that if I ate a candy bar all was lost and that I might as well not bother now/ diet was ruined/I was useless/weak willed/ greedy/ no good/ fat and worthless/ and many more harmful adjectives I used to use to describe myself.

Until I had my ' lightbulb moment' I realised how silly this was and how much time I had wasted trying to live up to these impossible standards, it hadn't got me anywhere had it????
38.gif

All of a sudden it began to make sense that I had been putting a ridiculous amount of pressure on myself, that no one had a chance of living up to, or living with - and that I had a life to live too. I could get healthy and lose the excess pounds - as long as I made good choices for the most part, I could have the occasional take out, candy etc and in the long run it wasn't going to make any difference, in fact it was important that I had these things in order to be able to enjoy life. Also I had to stop thinking " must be slim in a month" - I had to lose that mentality and think long term, I knew the pounds would shift, but I was going to make the journey easier on myself this time and truly give myself the gift of time to do it. I knew I would get there and more importantly STAY THERE this time.

My new plan worked better than I could have dreamed of. I look at myself in the mirror this morning, I am wearing my jeans which are now too loose again and a tight roll neck top and I like what I see, perfection didn't get me here, hard work, good food choices and the occasional tread DID!

CONGRATS on your weight loss Jade - GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also fitting back into pre pregnancy clothes is superb - you must feel so proud of yourself, you deserve to
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 5:58:23 AM
Author:Lorelei

I gave myself the gift of time and was finally able to see the bigger picture. I no longer wanted to live that way and began to make healthier food choices and not let myself get so hungry. This time I would have the patience to allow my body to gradually get into shape without forcing or punishing it and that exercise would be the key to doing this.
Exactly! When I decided to lose all that weight a few years ago, I said to myself, Be realistic, you didn''t gain it overnight, and you cannot lose it overnight. THAT, was what kept me going, and I did it. Of course, then I backslid a little, but nothing horrible. And now I''m back on track.
36.gif

Although, I DO have to try and get there a bit more quickly because of the wedding, but I can do it. Just have to rev up the exercise.

Great post!!
16.gif

Wishing everyone a great week!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 7:20:55 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/5/2007 5:58:23 AM
Author:Lorelei

I gave myself the gift of time and was finally able to see the bigger picture. I no longer wanted to live that way and began to make healthier food choices and not let myself get so hungry. This time I would have the patience to allow my body to gradually get into shape without forcing or punishing it and that exercise would be the key to doing this.
Exactly! When I decided to lose all that weight a few years ago, I said to myself, Be realistic, you didn''t gain it overnight, and you cannot lose it overnight. THAT, was what kept me going, and I did it. Of course, then I backslid a little, but nothing horrible. And now I''m back on track.
36.gif

Although, I DO have to try and get there a bit more quickly because of the wedding, but I can do it. Just have to rev up the exercise.

Great post!!
16.gif

Wishing everyone a great week!
Thank you
12.gif
12.gif

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
counting calories does not necessarily equate to reducing calories. but at least it''s a first step? well, i''ve probably reduced about 100 cal a day, but who knows b/c i wasnt counting before. i''ve averaged 1880 cal a day since i started counting 5 days ago, and my average calories burned just doing cardio is 400. i''d like to consume 1600-1700/day. so i''m not too far off. i think i just need to start planning my meals in advance.

i didn''t do too bad last night. we just stayed in and i made bean & cheese nachos. i figured the calories and it came out to 35 cal/nacho, then we had some guacamole too. but i just had a few tblsp of that, and 12 nachos, so probably 600 cal.

congrats jade on the pre baby jeans! i want to get into my pre law school jeans!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 9:13:54 AM
Author: nejarb
counting calories does not necessarily equate to reducing calories. but at least it''s a first step? well, i''ve probably reduced about 100 cal a day, but who knows b/c i wasnt counting before. i''ve averaged 1880 cal a day since i started counting 5 days ago, and my average calories burned just doing cardio is 400. i''d like to consume 1600-1700/day. so i''m not too far off. i think i just need to start planning my meals in advance.

i didn''t do too bad last night. we just stayed in and i made bean & cheese nachos. i figured the calories and it came out to 35 cal/nacho, then we had some guacamole too. but i just had a few tblsp of that, and 12 nachos, so probably 600 cal.

congrats jade on the pre baby jeans! i want to get into my pre law school jeans!
I just keep a rough tally in my head with the cals and that seems to work well. So Nej - with that 100 reduction and 400 per workout, that should start getting you great results. If you did that daily = 3500 / week = 1 pound fat loss roughly!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As usual dear dear Lorelei, you''re right on the money!!! I don''t usually check the thread till after work, but I was feeling cold and lonely this morning and your weekly opener gave me comfort. The gift of time. Wonderful! It''s taken me a long time to recognize that I wasn''t going to become a hunk overnight!! LOL It took me 50 years of bad eating and smoking to be where I was and I thought in just a few months, I''d be magically transformed. In many ways I was, but even 14 months after Rebuild Rod began, I realize I have more to accomplish, only I''m not feeling under pressure. I may never get exactly where I want to be. But, I will continue to work out, eat healthy and maintain a positive outlook on life and be grateful that at 52 years young, I''m in better shape than I was when I was 32 years old.

Thanks as always for your inspiration on this blustery cold morning (at least the sun is shining), in Raleigh, NC!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday everyone! I am back on track, after yesterday''s debacle. I have no idea what came over me!

Anyway, I am enjoying some oatmeal for breakfast, and my lunch date from last Friday has been rescheduled for today (but we''ll see if he actaully wants to brave the negative temperatures for a little Thai food, ha ha!). The happy hubby is going shopping to get some good things to make for dinner this week, and also some more lunch options (I find myself eating Progresso soup almost every day and I''m getting a little bored... )

Mara, sounds like you were at quite the party!

And Rod, thanks for letting me know those G. squares weren''t as bad as I thought. It was kind like when the dog chews up your favorite pair of shoes. Even at the time he probably knows he''s doing something bad, but he just keeps on chewing... !

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 9:55:47 AM
Author: Rod
As usual dear dear Lorelei, you're right on the money!!! I don't usually check the thread till after work, but I was feeling cold and lonely this morning and your weekly opener gave me comfort. The gift of time. Wonderful! It's taken me a long time to recognize that I wasn't going to become a hunk overnight!! LOL It took me 50 years of bad eating and smoking to be where I was and I thought in just a few months, I'd be magically transformed. In many ways I was, but even 14 months after Rebuild Rod began, I realize I have more to accomplish, only I'm not feeling under pressure. I may never get exactly where I want to be. But, I will continue to work out, eat healthy and maintain a positive outlook on life and be grateful that at 52 years young, I'm in better shape than I was when I was 32 years old.

Thanks as always for your inspiration on this blustery cold morning (at least the sun is shining), in Raleigh, NC!!
Thanks Rod - I am so glad I was able to make you feel better! The gift of time popped into my head as a good way of expressing what I had been denying myself for so many years with my weight. It was always a case of I wanted 10 pounds gone by yesterday, crash diet after crash diet, I really was on a destructive course and that everytime my poor body rebelled after surviving barely on 800 cals day after day, I was so darn hungry I would eat and eat and wonder why I would always
" fail."

It took a while for the penny to drop so to speak and realize that it was ok to gift myself with the time to get myself together and get off the mindset I was stuck in. I didn't gain weight in one day and nor would I or could I lose it in one day. Why was there always this rush? I have to answer because of pressure ( not from Hubby) that I was only valuable if I was thin, gain a few and I wasn't. I could explain this further, but suffice to say it was pressure from a family member who always expected perfection from me and was always my harshest critic, yet that person was so perfect in their own eyes. It has been very damaging to be treated that way all my life, however wisdom came in time and the person who should be celebrating my success has never said one word about my achievements, I think they would rather have teeth pulled.

Rod - you are a HUGE source of inspiration for many on this thread and also for those who read but don't post! You can turn your life around, the main tool you need is the desire to do it, then take that first step. If Rod can Rebuild and Lorelei can Lovelify, it just proves what is possible! If you eat something high calorie, no big deal, just workout a little harder next time, or cut back a wee bit at the next meal, it is the overall forward journey that matters.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
mara, i am curious about the chocolate pumpkin muffins you mentioned. did you make those yet? they sound so easy and i have been watching to see how they turned out. thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning everyone, and as sad as i am to be going off to work, it''s nice to start a fresh new week...

to add what lorelei said i just wanted to say a big KUDOS to everyone who is consistently participating (or lurking and reading) this thread. the accountability can be huge especially when you are just starting out and having to recount to a bunch of other people who are doing the same thing what you did can either seem exciting (if you just burned more than a calorie goal you set out to) or daunting (if you just ate a whole bag of oreos) but regardless, share we do and everyone is really great about it i think. we all have our ups and downs and to lorelei''s ''gift of time'' comment, give yourself also a gift of leeway! haha. no one is perfect and losing weight or finding the ''healthy and fit you'' is not going to be a perfect journey either. i think sometimes our view is very skewed being so close to the results you seek so hard.

the other day i was telling greg about how i was kind of concerned that whole week i had the mega snackies, like i''d somehow entirely LOST my willpower and would now revert back to a 15+ lb heavier schlub or whatever immediately. i said ''i mean come on i ate 4 bowls of honey bunches and oats!'' and he was like ''you know that was not THAT bad''. and i said ''of course it is!'' and he said ''no it''s really not''....you could be eating way worse things and in large amounts...not a lowfat 120 calorie cereal''. i was like HMMM. is that really true? and i realized yes it is, he was totally right. but sometimes we can ALL be so incredibly hard on ourselves...! i tell others to not be hard on themselves but i do it as well.

so, for me the measure of success in what i have achieved was the gift of time and patience, and also forgiveness for my non-perfect way of doing things. i think the two combined with some self-control and some willpower and i was in business. a lot of people here have all the elements of that...some only have 2-3 but eventually i think that they will get there if they do have that time invested and stick with it. always just STICK WITH IT. even if you back off exercise a bit or aren''t quite as strict with yourself on eating because you need a break or whatever, just stick with it long-term. it''s not a crash diet, it''s a lifestyle change.

anyway, there''s my little tiny seed pearls of wisdom, small as they might be. hehee. crown, yes i made the pumpkin chocolate muffins and took them to the party, everyone said they looked awesome but with the masses of food, no one even got to them! so i gave them out to people to take home. in any case, we tested a bit of one here at home and they do come out incredibly moist and yummy ... you can taste the pumpkin and the chocolate as the two primary flavors, but they are very chocolatey and SUPER moist inside and in a good way, not like icky moist but cakey falls-apart moist. i sprinkled some powdered sugar on them to give them a nice presentation. basically according to hungry girl you just have a box of devils food cake mix and a 15 oz can of pumpkin puree and mix them together. do not add anything else to them or you will ''ruin them'' according to her. so i just followed the directions, even though at first i thought okay this pumpkin doesn''t seem like enough to moisten the cake mix. but it is. and the consistency is thick but it is perfect...they plump right up in the oven and i made 12 super large muffins rather than the 18 the cake mix called for...hungry girl said that they were something like 180 cals each but i figure mine are more like 270 because they are bigger. so they aren''t really like a 100 cal snack or anything, but you can share one with the hubby or something for a dessert...definitely. i am taking a few to work today to have my coworkers try. you can also make them in a brownie pan too for a different presentation.

on another baking note, i have 2 bananas that are slowly going over-ripe that i researched some banana bread recipes for this wkd but after remembering how fabulous pumpkin is in baked goods and how much fiber and low-cal it is...i am going to now make something like banana pumpkin muffins or bread with oat bran and some milk...so hopefully i will have that later this week as they need a few more days to continue to get really ripe (the recipes i found said almost all black is excellent for the natural sugars..and since i don''t want to use much sugar in the recipe, i want as much natural banana sugar as possible).

this morning i feel a bit better, last nite i was feeling kind of rough from that cold STILL trying to get me....i think i just need to keep going to bed a little early and taking this emergenC stuff. breakfast was 2 multi-grain waffles with just spray butter on them eaten with the hand (this is my new thing...make them super crispy in the toaster and then spray some butter on them and then just eat them like crackers...no syrup and i love how you can taste the grains in the waffles) and coffee. lunch will be some type of soup whether it''s a TJ one or a canned campbells. dinner is going to be leftovers from the party last nite, but i might supplement mine to be a small chicken tamale, a bit of the olive salad (lots of garlic), and the leftover TJ chicken and rice from last week and let greg have 3 tamales and the rest of the olive salad. also we have a bit of lemon bar we brought home with us for dessert (yum!). oh and i''m still watching my snacking...even though i have already reached my weight goal again so i can eat more calories...i think i just need to stick with the not snacking between meals as much, aka a fiber muffin here or there and some fruit is good but watch it on the 100 cal snacks because last time those just started adding up and i think that contributed to my lack of willpower week.

blah blah gosh my posts are always so long. does anyone read them? hehee. oh well it''s therapeutic writing them.

have a great day everyone!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...schlub - LOVE IT!~!!!!!!!!!! Most descriptive Mara!
3.gif

ETA - I do read your posts and enjoy them!

Jossyw

Rough_Rock

Hi all! Just wanted to extend my thanks to everyone on this thread for their inspirational posts every week. I''ve never posted before but I read it daily (since Jan 1) and find great comfort and strength in all of your wise words! Since I began reading this thread I''ve experienced one of those turning points in my relationship with my body. Like others, in the past it always felt like a struggle and my efforts at being healthy were usually inspired by my interest in being thinner so that I could be more attractive to men… So it kind of goes without saying that after I met my fiancé, I stopped working out as much and I lost the drive that I’d once had.

About a month ago, I started being more diligent about working out again because I had a vacation planned to Hawaii and I wanted to look good in my bathing suit. In the back of my head, I was also thinking about my wedding in August for which I’d like to look great! I started doing BodyPump and Total Athletic Conditioning classes at my gym and when I didn’t take a class I did the elliptical machine burning at least 500 cal each time. I also started really thinking about the food I eat. I’ve always hated “dieting” and in the past, I’ve kind of refused to do it, choosing rather to try to change my body with exercise alone = little success. Taking a more thoughtful approach and not pressuring myself too much has made a huge difference!

I felt great in my bathing suit, my honey can’t stop talking about how much he likes my body, and I fit into the pants that I wore on our first date! And this change has happened all in only one month! WOW! I haven’t seen the scale move that much (about 4 lbs I think) but my clothes fit better and I feel strong. AND even though my vacation is over, I haven’t lost my interest in being healthy and fit. I try to be smart about what I’m eating and how I’m working out. I know that I wont always see the results I want and I’ll have some bad days here and there, but I’ve come to understand that I CAN control my self and there are physical and mental consequences, both good and bad, to my actions when it comes to food and exercise. I don’t think I’ve ever really understood that before and it feels great to finally “get” it. It also feels great knowing that if my willpower is a little low, I can come on here and read about how everyone else is doing and gain a little more strength from all of your inspirational efforts.

Some things I’ve learned on this thread:
Fiber one honey clusters are great!
Every Day/ Week presents itself as a new opportunity to do the best that I can
Being fit and healthy doesn’t have to be painful
Thanks everyone! I’m sure there are many other silent people who read this thread every week who find great inspiration here so I just wanted to say thanks on behalf of those of us who never really post. Sorry for the long post!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Jossy for your very kind words and welcome to the thread! We do have a great team here who practise what they preach with incredible results - it just shows you can enjoy life without '' dieting'' and that working out is key to success, along with healthy food choices - but you CAN have cake on occasion if you want it!

I am so glad we were able to inspire and help you - it is a wonderful feeling when you do finally " get it!" It is such an empowering feeling to know you have the tools to maintain a healthy body for life, and it needn''t be that unpleasant and arduous!

And yes, every day is a new day where you can begin again - and as Mara says, forgiveness too is important. So what if you ate a ton of something you shouldn''t? You can do better tomorrow - and in this manner eating high calorie food rarely makes a difference if you put in a bit of extra effort afterwards!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I won't even go into cal counts for superbowl...pizza, buffalo wings, chips and dip, beer...the good thing is that now that I've been eating healthier and less at one sitting (but more frequently) I can't actually eat alot of food at once b/c I get full fast! Then I'm hungry a couple hours later, but it's better than being able to shove a TON of food down my throat at once
36.gif

I didn't make it to the gym this AM even though I was awake b/c I promised to get FI to class early for his final exam today rather than him taking the bus, but I plan on doing my 40 min pilates (and if I feel ambitious I'll do my 20 min ab specific routine as well) and have not gone off track with my eating today. It's so much easier to monitor during the week when I'm sitting at a desk for the greater portion of the day.

So far today I had a cereal bar (140cal), lowfat veggie sandwitch (250 cal and uber yum with hummous (my fav on sandwiches), cabbage, tomatoes, red wine vinegar) and a little bit of potato salad (100 cals).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with all porkouters for superbowl sunday (plus the entire weekend for me!) Ay yi yi. But back to being healthy! Will be kind of tough this week as I am on a business trip starting today thru Friday. But I will bring my workout gear and will lurk in for the week. No wednesday weigh in for me this week though.
8.gif
Have a great week everyone!!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 9:24:11 AM
Author: Lorelei

I just keep a rough tally in my head with the cals and that seems to work well. So Nej - with that 100 reduction and 400 per workout, that should start getting you great results. If you did that daily = 3500 / week = 1 pound fat loss roughly!

i wish that were true! i''ve only lost 1.5 lbs in 5 weeks. actually, problem w/ your equation is that i was already exercising before i even joined the gym last month, just not as much. so it''s going to be slow if i don''t cut my calories down more. which actually is fine and the way it should be--but i''m getting married in june and moving this summer too, and want to be in awesome shape before all the new life changes...

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Great words of wisdom from all! This thread is great. I have been doing well with my food intake, and I hope I see a loss at my WW meeting on Thursday. Keep up the good work everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 12:23:01 PM

Date: 2/5/2007 9:24:11 AM
Author: Lorelei

i wish that were true! i''ve only lost 1.5 lbs in 5 weeks. actually, problem w/ your equation is that i was already exercising before i even joined the gym last month, just not as much. so it''s going to be slow if i don''t cut my calories down more. which actually is fine and the way it should be--but i''m getting married in june and moving this summer too, and want to be in awesome shape before all the new life changes...

I would definitely cut the cals a bit more Nej and see if that makes a difference, sometimes a bit of tweaking will do it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah i was going to say the same thing re cutting more calories nejarb...if you are already doing the 400-500 cals on exercise then cutting 100 a day won't do it. you will probably need to cut out more like 300-400 a day and keep up with your exercise to lose ~1 lb a week. remember 3500 cals a week *deficit* is what you need. and that is over your BMR. if your BMR is something like 1200 and then you add 500 workout cals onto it, you will, for example, need to eat less than 1700 a day to create any sort of deficit. (that's just an estimate, i have no idea what your BMR is!) for me the magic losing recipe was eating between 1300-1500 daily with a splurge on 2 weekend nights only (day was the same as dduring the week) and working out 6x a week.

BUT honestly its hard too say what is the right equation...i was cutting cals and working out and again i didn't see the scale move the way i wanted to for some time. those last 5-10 lbs can be REALLY hard to get off. they are super stubborn!! but it will happen, just stick with it. also maybe try changing some things up. when i finally saw the scale move, i was in the middle of a week of detoxing with monarch (where did you run off to anyway miss monarch?!?!) and while it wasn't really FUN...(lots of veggies, brown rice, and fruits with some granolas, grains etc but nothing fun, no sugar, no dairy, no anything yummy)...it was on the 2nd or 3rd day of just eating that stuff that my scale finally moved. not sure if it was the final 'catalyst' for my body to say 'okay fine i'll give you 2-3 measly pounds' but it was when it happened. so i'll just throw that out there, i have read that sometimes shaking things up for your body on WHAT you are eating and HOW....is sometimes enough to give it that final push. so a week of cutting cals and maybe eating entirely different things than you are used to might be enough of a 'jolt' with what you already are doing. who knows really.
3.gif

kudos to everyone for checking in after the superbowl gorgefest we all had. it's a new week, hehee.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 12:43:28 PM
Author: Mara
yeah i was going to say the same thing re cutting more calories nejarb...if you are already doing the 400-500 cals on exercise then cutting 100 a day won''t do it. you will probably need to cut out more like 300-400 a day and keep up with your exercise to lose ~1 lb a week. remember 3500 cals a week *deficit* is what you need. and that is over your BMR. if your BMR is something like 1200 and then you add 500 workout cals onto it, you will, for example, need to eat less than 1700 a day to create any sort of deficit. (that''s just an estimate, i have no idea what your BMR is!) for me the magic losing recipe was eating between 1300-1500 daily with a splurge on 2 weekend nights only (day was the same as dduring the week) and working out 6x a week.

BUT honestly its hard too say what is the right equation...i was cutting cals and working out and again i didn''t see the scale move the way i wanted to for some time. those last 5-10 lbs can be REALLY hard to get off. they are super stubborn!! but it will happen, just stick with it. also maybe try changing some things up. when i finally saw the scale move, i was in the middle of a week of detoxing with monarch (where did you run off to anyway miss monarch?!?!) and while it wasn''t really FUN...(lots of veggies, brown rice, and fruits with some granolas, grains etc but nothing fun, no sugar, no dairy, no anything yummy)...it was on the 2nd or 3rd day of just eating that stuff that my scale finally moved. not sure if it was the final ''catalyst'' for my body to say ''okay fine i''ll give you 2-3 measly pounds'' but it was when it happened. so i''ll just throw that out there, i have read that sometimes shaking things up for your body on WHAT you are eating and HOW....is sometimes enough to give it that final push. so a week of cutting cals and maybe eating entirely different things than you are used to might be enough of a ''jolt'' with what you already are doing. who knows really.
3.gif

kudos to everyone for checking in after the superbowl gorgefest we all had. it''s a new week, hehee.
I was wondering the same thing - where are you Mon????
39.gif
39.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Lordy, I don't want to even think or POST what all I ate yesterday.... eeek!!
15.gif
Oh well, good thing was, I weighed myself this morning just for fun, and I am still within my 4 lb range, even less than I was at Wednesday weigh in last week?!? Does that make any sense? DH and I managed to get in an hour of weight lifting in the morning yesterday to say that we went. We usually don't go to the gym on Sundays, but it made me feel good that we at least got that in.

I also am trying the spreadsheet tally of calories. I actually thought I was eating a lot worse than I actually am - so that is good news! I know I've mentioned this before too, but I am not noticing a HUGE weight loss either, but I'm trying to keep at it, in the hopes that one day it will budge.

Happy New Week
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I ate much better than planned the super bowl party I went to...I got lucky because a lot of the appetizers contained ingredients that I don''t really like such as mayo and sour cream. If there had been ranch dip instead of onion dip, I''d be in big trouble, so that helped, and there was some other dip that sounded yummy b/c it had bacon on top but I didn''t have any, and the guac had sour cream in it too instead of being a pure guac. So i had one fajita and 3 helpings of a really yummy salad and one cookie.

I was late to my total body training class today so I walked on the treadmill instead...maybe if I have time after work I''ll squeeze in some elliptical to make up for it.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, so many inspirational thoughts and stories on this particular week''s thread.

I''ve been absent the past week or so, mainly because my bf and I have been having issues. We''ve decided to break up and are in the process of straightening everything out, and I''m looking for a place to move out to. Anyone in SF want a roommate?

As for food and exercise, I''d like to think I''ve been pretty good about it. Like Lorelei, I give myself the treat when I''m craving it, and it makes me super happy. Last Thursday, I had gone to an art opening gala at Fort Mason, where I met this woman with a round 6+ carat solitaire. It was HUGE. Oh, and I ate like a pig. This was the first time I had real ice cream in over a year (I usually stick with fro yo or something relatively low cal compared to ice cream). I was pretty good over the weekend, food wise.

Exercise-wise, I''ve not been so good. I haven''t really felt like working out while dealing with all this drama and trying to figure out my feelings and stuff, so I admit that I have been rather lazy. I''m hoping to pick it back up this week again, as I really miss the sweaty breathless workouts, just for the sake of the endorphin high. I have been doing enough to not lose much of my muscle tone though, so I guess I just need to step it up a bit.

And now the gosh darned scale is stuck at 140 and refuses to move. It''s been stuck there for a little over a week and it''s driving me mad.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to hear about the bf issues cinderella but for what it is worth i think you are doing the right thing....from what you have told us previously and knowing a bit about you...i think that this will show you guys for sure if you want to be together because you want to be TOGETHER forever kinda thing, or if it was just a comfort level thing for a while yanno. that is what really made it or broke it for my ex and myself, once we got through all the drama of separating out our lives and being apart...i realized hey i loved it. and i didn't love him after all. and then boom 6 months later along came greg!! hehe. so i think you are doing what's right for you. and also when i was on my own and single, i liked working out more and all that too, it was like i was continuously working at creating a 'better' and 'happier' me. so anyway hang in there gal!

lunch is a turkey and swiss on multigrain bread from starbucks..i love this sandwich. it's filling and yummy and fresh and i have it with dijon and they don't put mayo or anything on it...and it's 310 cals. i'm supplementing it with some corn chowder TJ's soup so i am only eating like 3/4 the sandwich and having 3/4 of a cup of the soup too. mmmm.

ETA: okay so my coworker and i both had 1/2 a chocolate pumpkin muffin and can i just say OMG. divine. chocolatey, moist and with a taste of pumpkin. huge winner.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all the feedback lorelei and mara. 1900 cal/day is alot. i don''t need that much.

i have a pretty sad story to tell. i FINALLY found the keys (i''ve been looking all over my apt for months!) to unlock my bike from the rack in the garage of my apt building, and i went down there today to get my bike b/c i was going to bring it up and put air in the tires, etc. all i found was my chain and lock on the ground and the chain had been cut. so sad. can''t file a claim, b/c bike cost same amt as deductible for renters ins. probably can''t get it back on account of the police report i just filed, b/c i never wrote down the serial #. i may cruise over to some local pawn shops this week. i''ll probably never see it again. loved my little purple bike.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 4:20:03 PM
thanks for all the feedback lorelei and mara. 1900 cal/day is alot. i don''t need that much.

i have a pretty sad story to tell. i FINALLY found the keys (i''ve been looking all over my apt for months!) to unlock my bike from the rack in the garage of my apt building, and i went down there today to get my bike b/c i was going to bring it up and put air in the tires, etc. all i found was my chain and lock on the ground and the chain had been cut. so sad. can''t file a claim, b/c bike cost same amt as deductible for renters ins. probably can''t get it back on account of the police report i just filed, b/c i never wrote down the serial #. i may cruise over to some local pawn shops this week. i''ll probably never see it again. loved my little purple bike.
This happened to me in college - about 7 years ago. I had a bike, locked up with one of those cable locks. I stopped riding it for a while and it was in the front of the apartment complex. One day I went to look for it and it was no longer there. I really want to ride again and join the 250 mile bike ride to the Keys for the MS Bike Ride and I would have to buy a new bike. Criminals are sooo cruel...

Sorry about your bike.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Of course we read your posts mara! I always find your tips very helpful. With regards to the detox you did, can you share a bit more about what sort of foods to eat and what to avoid or point me towards the thread for the period you were doing it?

Welcome Jossy!

Rosebud - counting calories really worked for me in the past month. I am more aware of what I put into my mouth and consciously choosing healthier foods!

Cinderella - sorry to hear about your bf issues.

Ok I have a question for all of u who uses the elliptical alot - What are the benefits of working at a target heart rate for fat burning vs cardio? For example, my goal is of cos fat loss, but also getting fitter, and if my target heart rate for fat burning is 135 but I aim for 155-160, I am still burning fat right? It''s just that I don''t think I am pushing myself hard enough on the elliptical, but if my fat burning zone is 135 and I am already doing 155-160, should I bother stepping the intensity up? Any pointers muchly appreciated!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
jade we did it in august of 2006 and here is our thread that describes what it was, what we did, results etc:

Healthy Detox Thread: August 28-Sept 1

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/healthy-detox-diet-thread-august-28-september-1.50041/

we did it for 5 days even though the book version was for 7 days (no way could i be not eating what i want on weekends!!) and also we modified it a bit to add a few things that were still 'healthy' but not on the plan (aka granola).

in terms of the elliptical or heart ranges, honestly i read on a few websites and some health articles (while googling) that you shouldn't specifically try to keep your heart rate lower to stay in a 'fat burning' area because even doing 'cardio range' you are STILL burning fat. so i just basically did what felt good (typically higher cardio range, never so low to stay in fat burning, i would get SO BORED)...and i still lost weight and burned a ton of fat...so i recommend that instead of staying in a lower 'fat burning' range. in terms of wanting to go higher, if you feel like it, try it. you don't HAVE to stay in any sort of range, there's a 'recommended' min and max but sometimes i go 5-10 out of my range in max and if i *feel* okay (that's important, you don't want to overdo it) then i do it for a while. sometimes while walking i can get close to my max which is funny since i'm just walking. i think everyone's bodies are different and those machines and charts on the machine just take into account things like age, weight, height etc and they don't take you specifically and your fitness level or similar into consideration. so i use them but i don't live by them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results