shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 4th Dec till 10th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
I just read my post from earlier this week and it didn''t even make sense. I don''t think I knew what day it was. Whatever, my hair is clean now and I only have 1 more exam! I haven''t been exercising and I''ve been eating alot (well, no more than usual; I always eat alot). Thank G for my fast metabolism and I hope it doesn''t go away. I did go for a long fast brisk walk outside a few times but it felt more just like clearing my heasd than exercising. I actually let my fi talk me out of working out a few days ago. I;m in the top 1/4 o fmy class but just barely, maybe even by just 1 person, and he said "you have your whole life to work out but you only have this week to study for your exams." I think I''ll start running again in a few weeks. By the time my knees need to be replaced it will be a standard procedure for everyone who turns 55 and I''ll just walk out of the clinic with my new knees.

Seriously, does anyone have concerns about their knees? this is why I stopped running. my mom kept worrying me about my knees, "isn''t there a pool in your neighborhood? you should do low impact exercises...you''ll get arthritis by the time you''re 30 with all this running..." I could go on but I''ll just stop. has anyone ever read the world according to garp? i''m #$&*ing around in the garden.

34.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Dixie,

The light weights and cardio combo works best for me, sometimes we also use the resitance bands for a variety of exercises. Also you might want to look into Bikram Yoga...it works wonders...I used to do it, but it doesn''t fit with my current work schedule.

The planks are similar to a pushup, except you are on your elbows instead of hands, and you hold your position...thats not a good description, but hopefully it makes sense...its good for your core.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning all,

It''s a nice, crisp morning out, finally. So depending on how much I get done before we head to the Christmas shindig I''ll either go for a run or hop on my elliptical for an hour.

Nejarb: I''ve never worried about my knees in regards to running. I try to mix it up by running on a track, running on pavement when I''m feeling bored and need a change of scenery, and trail running. Trail running is my favorite. I stopped running a few years ago and incorporated other activities into my life as an alternative for a few different reasons but am VERY slowly trying to work running back into my life, so I may not be the best person to speak about this. Tybee runs a lot, maybe she''ll have some words of wisdom for you.

I hope your exams went well, and I agree with your boyfriend, but am glad you got a few head clearing walks in.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gala...one word, FIBER. i eat foods that have a lot of fiber in them and then typically have carbs too and it keeps me full longer and i get the fiber benefit. complex carbs are better than refined as well. i am totally addicted to fiber...hehee. it's kinda funny. but just make sure you drink enough water to help your body process all that fiber!!

we are in vegas, and having a good time except my cold decided to rear it's ugly head again..ugh! this time in the form of nose congestion and a sore throat. UGH. i thought it had gone but it was apparently just resting. anyway...greg went off with his fam to the hoover dam which i have no interest in at all so i am going to walk to walgreens, get some cold meds (i already was there last nite getting other stuff and forgot the meds to help me feel okay during the day!!) and then go hit up the hotel gym for about an hour and do some elliptical on a low level just to get the blood moving but not tire myself out too much. it's expensive, $35 for 2 days! so i figure i'll work out today and maybe tomorrow. i was thinking of a mani pedi but i don't know, we'll see how i feel.

but in the meantime we have done a ton of walking (up and down strip yesterday) and then last nite we went to studio 54 and boogied for about an hour on the dance floor. so my legs feel a bit sore today which is good, hahaha...esp since we had two mega yummy rich meals yesterday...fish and chips for lunch and then for dinner lobster tail and steak, with the truffled mac and cheese at smith & wollensky. super yummy!!! and the best fresh layered coconut cake for dessert. for breakfast this morning i just had a Luna bar that i'd tucked away in my suitcase for an emergency like this...and i figure i'll grab something fun for lunch since i'm on my own. dinner will be somewhere yummy i'm sure. hehee.

anyway...hope everyone is having a great weekend and is not sick! ugh. i hate this stupid cold...last time greg and i were in vegas together i also had a horrible cold, what is the deal?! ehhe.

oh and re: the knees, i do worry about that with running which is partially why i also don't like to run. walking for me is less 'harsh' on the joints even though you are still hitting, you are not hitting up from the air with all your weight as hard. but the elliptical for me is the least harsh on your joints because you don't lifting and putting down kinda thing.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
well, I may not have maintained my place in the top 1/4 but I''m pretty sure I at least passed all my exams, and really that''s enough b/c I may never practice law anyhow--so it;s better someone else got my place--it''ll mean more for them. but I''m bringing running shoes and gym clothes to mexico and i plan to work out every day while i''m there to get back on track. why not? what else am I going to do? dring peach daquaris by the pool at 9:30 am? that can wait until 11:00 am! okay, I need to pack and clean my apt now, everyone have a good week and be good!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

Hope you're feeling better in Vegas Mara. Traveling with a cold is not fun.

We had such a nice day today. We started the day with Starbucks and a tart cherry scone from Panera. Then we headed to the new mall just outside Durham where the Nordstrom is located. We had no clue Durham is like a 15 minute drive from Raleigh, so it's nice to know we can get to this mall quickly. We bought leather coats at Macy's that were originally $300 but marked down to $119. Love the deals you can get a Macy's. Then we headed back to Raleigh had another cup of coffee at Starbucks and went to the gym for a 2.5 hour workout. Just around the corner from the gym is a grill that was highly recommended, so that's where we had dinner and it was just fabulous. If today is a reflection of our new life in NC., things are certainly headed in the right direction.

Tomorrow, we'll go to the gym as well. This will be our last workout at this gym, which we like, but it's the end of 1 free week. Next week, we'll be working out a gym that isn't nearly as nice. We really can't wait till the 15th when our gym from Florida opens a presale center with a smaller but still good workout area here in Raleigh. We'll be using that center until the gym is completed in April. Once the new gym is completed, it will be the largest fitness center in Raleigh at 80,000 square feet with a pool, racket ball courts, basketball courts, separate personal training center and state of the art equipment. All the aerobic machines will have their own TV screen with cable. But, I prefer my tunes on my MP3 to keep me moving at the right RPM.

I'll offer my view on running and the impact on the knees even though I've only been running for the last 6 months. I haven't noticed any pain or issues with my knees. I know people who are still running in their 70's and 80's, so I've decided that as long as I don't experience pain and I enjoy running, the benefits outweigh the risk to my joints. I'm absolutely convinced that I get a much better aerobic workout when I run, compared with a machine. Still, I love the elliptical and believe it's the next best thing to running.

I hope you're enjoying your weekend!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
nejarb,

I''m totally the person to talk to about knees! I''ve actually had three major knee surgeries due to sports injuries.
Two were ACL reconstruction, one was a basic clean out and meniscus (spelling?) repair.

I am a running fiend, though.

I do think that any repetitive pounding is hard on your knees, ankles and lower joint area, but if you mix up your runs with strength training exercises, you should be fine. Actually, I read recently that impact exercises (like running) are much better for your bones than low impact exercise (like swimming.) Take that as you will. I love running more than any other exercise, I will never run a marathon, I''ve been advised against it, but I have run many half marathons with little knee pain.

Like everything else, you should use caution and listen to your body. Alternating runs between road running, grass running, and treadmill helps to.

I feel like I haven''t jumped on this thread in a while, but I''ve been working out!
We''re in the middle of our Christmas themed ultimate tournament, so I''ve been running around a field in cleats all day! More running around tomorrow! My team almost went undefeated today! Fun fun fun!

We''re off to have a few drinks with team mates, then playing again in the morning.

Have a great weekend all!
Tybee

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Got an awesome long workout in today on the elliptical while watching the first half of a ''dance movie''. 60 mins flew by as I kicked it up a notch during the ''dance scenes'' thanks to the great beats featured at those moments, and they were a good length for ''intense pace'', allowing me to ease back during the so-called ''plot scenes''. Luckily my machine is creaking so much I could barely hear a word of the appalling dialogue!

Since I was aiming for a long workout, I took it easy because I''m still in my first week of workouts. So I only burned a little over 400 cals in that 60 min, but my joints are doing fine and I''m psyched to get another hour workout in tomorrow, because I have the day off. I figure I''ll have to do the shorter ''power workouts'' during the week if I am going to squeeze them in before work, and then do the longer workouts on my day off.

Today''s meals were basmati rice for lunch (I was interrupted by a grocery run) with grilled stewing beef (chewy but tasty and cheap), a snack of soymilk, berry splash (nutritional supplement powder), blackberry, and assorted frozen fruit, blenderized drink with some acidolphilus tossed in, and lastly for dinner another round of the tomato veggie eggdrop soup. I also had a chunk of PC''s Swiss Dark Chocolate with Honey Almond Nougat that is a whopping 72% cocoa so it''s potent stuff. I find the really dark chocolate goes a long way, so a small piece eradicates my chocolate cravings. It''s about 60 cals a piece, but since the pieces are smaller than the brand I normally get, I ate two... and didn''t feel guilty about it. Like Tybee said in DeeJay''s thread, depriving yourself does more harm than good.

Mara, fiber really is the key.
1.gif
I''m still searching for a good form of fiber since I can''t eat wheat, oats, or rye, and I can''t do soy either. I bought some meal replacement bars today for those days I work out and rush to work without eating anything, and they seem to have a good whack of wheat-free fiber. They are from the same company that makes Greens+.

Lastly, anyone have an opinion to weigh in about getting a chest HR monitor?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone
35.gif

It sounds like everyone is doing very well with their exercise plan.
I especially want to thank Rod who is sorta watching over me to follow up with
my elliptical regime. Thanks, pal
2.gif
Really!
Here we go folks....temptation..at holiday parties. Last night was a food nightmare.
I''m going to repeat my plan for you. Day before holiday and day after holiday...eat, drink and be merry!
Take a three day food holiday. Then get back to your normal eating habits.
Sound reasonable or do you think this idea is idiotic? I won''t be offended
16.gif

KEEP ON TRACKin

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Sunday everyone!

I ended up getting a nasty sinus headache yesterday morning and spending it on the couch. Then off to the Christmas party where I did GREAT as far as eating is concerned. I had 1/3 of a turkey sandwhich and a glass of juice.

We went to our city''s tree lighting last night and then out to dinner, which was the opposite of lunch. I had fried shrimp, french fries and coleslaw. But it was really good and worth slipping up for a night.

We''re going to hike around the lake today to work off some of the bad food from last night.

Tonight we''re having pork ribs (off the bone, less fat) and some salad for dinner.

We leave for Chicago Tuesday morning and it will be one big food fest. We''ve got all of our meals planned out. I always give myself a pass on vacations, which actually tends to make me eat less because i don''t feel constrained. We tend to eat two meals as opposed to three when we go away so that helps too.

I made a delicious, low fat dinner the other night and thought I''d share the recipe. I modified a CL recipe. Here''s the original recipe:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222254

and here''s what I did:

Beef Tenderloin in French Onion Sauce

1 cup button mushrooms
1 cup porcinni mushrooms
1 cup onion diced
1 tblspn minced garlic
3 tblspns olive oil (divided)
1/2 can beef consume
2 4oz. beef tenderloin steaks
1 tblspn dried thyme
1 tpblspn onion powder
1 tbplspn italian seasoning
1 tspn black pepper
1 tspn garlic powder
cornstarch
water

Suate the first 4 ingredients in 1 1/2 tblspns olive oil until soft and browned. Add beef consume, bring to simmer then cover and let sit on low heat for 10 minutes. Mix together all seasonings and rub into steaks. Heat remaining olive oil in grill pan then grill steaks to your preferred doneness (I know, that''s not a word). Let meat stand for a few minutes. While meat is resting mix a spoonful of cornstarch with a bit of water to disolve then add to consume sauce to thicken, turn the heat up to medium to do so. Then place steaks on plates and use consume sauce to cover.

I served it with a slice of french bread on the side and a green salad.

It was one of the best homemade meals we''ve ever had.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Mara; sorry your cold returned!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2006 11:51:22 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Hi everyone
35.gif

It sounds like everyone is doing very well with their exercise plan.
I especially want to thank Rod who is sorta watching over me to follow up with
my elliptical regime. Thanks, pal
2.gif
Really!
Here we go folks....temptation..at holiday parties. Last night was a food nightmare.
I'm going to repeat my plan for you. Day before holiday and day after holiday...eat, drink and be merry!
Take a three day food holiday. Then get back to your normal eating habits.
Sound reasonable or do you think this idea is idiotic? I won't be offended
16.gif

KEEP ON TRACKin
You are more than welcome my friend!!! You'll have to report when you have your first elliptical experience!

I think your plan for the holidays is fine. We typically go out for dinner on Christmas Eve and have lobster for Christmas Day. This year, we may have the lobster on Christmas Eve because we've been invited to some friends house, here in Raleigh on Christmas. Since we're in temp quarters this year, we thought being at a real house with a real tree would be more festive. I don't think Christmas is the time to deny yourself things you want. And your idea of a three day break is good. Just don't let the three days become, four, then five, then............

I must have overdone my arms at the gym yesterday because my upper left arm is pretty sore. So, I did some upper arm work to loosen the muscle up, but mainly concentrated on legs at the gym today. Then of course we finished with a pretty intense 45 minutes on the elliptical. Charlie has a business dinner tomorrow night so I may go to the gym tomorrow as well, even though we usually don't workout on Mondays. We'll have to pick another night to have sushi this week (typically we do it on Friday and Monday). This week, we're at a different gym but I'm not super enthused as this gym is not as clean or modern as the gym we've been working out this week. We can't wait till the 15th when our Florida gym opens!!!

Galateia: On your heart rate monitor question. I have a Polaris and it has a chest strap and distance monitor too. I pretty much only use when I run, so I can make sure my heart rate stays in a healthy zone and to see how far I've run. I don't really use it at the gym, because even if the machines are off some, they are close enough to make sure I'm not overdoing it. I did use it once at the gym and found that the LifeFitness elliptical we use was pretty much in agreement with my monitor. Plus LifeFitness machines use Polaris monitors anyway. My advice is get one if you run and want to know your distance and heart rate.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and you're looking forward to the weeke ahead.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results