shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 4th Dec till 10th Dec

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I get super bored at the gym. I have to switch up machines all the time. I don''t think I can do a machine for longer than 35 minutes, it just gets monotonous.
Waching television seriously helps...
but after a while on the eliptical my feet begin to hurt. Does this happen to anyone else?

Oh, I ran 4 miles today. I was so happy to actually have the time to do so!
What kills my health routine during the holidays more than all the food and treats is the complete loss of time. With all the social obligations I find it really hard to find work out time.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey All,

It was a long day today. When I was laid off, I was able to work out during the day which I actually enjoyed. Tonight seemed odd in that here we are in a strange town and I left work after 6 PM and headed to the gym. I didn''t get lost, but Charlie did as he comes from another part of town. He managed to get there before me, but he was rather frustrated. We still don''t really know our way around town, so if we make a wrong turn, we''re sunk. We had a normal workout, which was good. Those of you who know us, know we are elliptical fans. The ellipticals in this gym are LifeFitness machines, but different than we are used to using from our gym in Tampa. They don''t feel as natural and my calves are sore from the 45 minute run. On the subject of ellipticals, I couldn''t last as long as I do without my PM3 player loaded with good tunes to keep me motivated. I''ve just become adjusted to staying on for 45 minutes at a high RPM and the positive benefits doing this has provided.

We''ll go again tomorrow night, then as usual, we''re off on Friday night and we celebrate the beginning of the weekend with Sushi.

Hope everyone''s doing well!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
worked out tonite..i was pretty tired on the elliptical but i stuck with it..i did 50 minutes and burned about 450 cals. then i went to do some arm work which felt really good. it's funny because one of my friends who works out with me sometimes says that she can see the bones in my back and i should not work out as much!! i was checking out my side/back when i was doing some arm exercises today and i realized, she was seeing muscles, hehee. i love it.

so dinner tonite was dreamfields pasta which is a complex carb pasta that has fiber in it...my friend who is watching her sugar due to being on the brink of diabetes loves it and it tastes honestly like regular pasta. and for me pasta is useless for my body typically, so this has way less sugar, and fiber so i figured why not. it was yummy! we did a spicy vodka cream sauce that was only 80 cals and the penne pasta with a bit of fresh parm, and then we had bowls of salads. yum! i was VERY good today with food...vegetable beef soup for lunch and 2 10 cal jello cups for snack. i'll probably have one for dessert, i'm addicted to these things.

anyway hope everyone had a great day....!! rod sorry to hear you guys got lost..but you found it!! CJ...glad to hear the thread is working out for you!! i do like checking in and seeing what people are writing, it's fun.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! First day of fitness!

I''m glad I finally have something to report. I bought, gained, lost, and regained an elliptical after some drama that resulted in the owner himself delivering and installing my machine, full of apologies.
20.gif
We won''t get into that. The point is, I finally got to have a workout on my very own elliptical. I have mixed feelings about it; it does the job, but because it''s not monstrously heavy, the ''neck'' creaks as it shifts while I am using it, which means no late-night workouts for me (I work nights anyway, and like working out after I get home from work) lest I wake my poor roomate.

Also, my feet keep inching forward until they are over the front edge of the ''pedal''! How do y''all keep that from happening? I''m beginning to wonder if I need to invest in some sort of strapping mechanism like some bicycle pedals have to keep your feet from flying off.

Other than that, I felt the burn.
9.gif
I decided to start off at 10 minutes, with a 10 minute cooldown. I was doing 45 minutes in my heyday, but seeing as I could only do 15 minutes when I first started, I figure I will aim for that to avoid overstraining myself. While I didn''t get my heartrate up high enough (I think it was only up to maybe 120 or so), I did break out in a sweat and managed to burn 100 calories in my 10 minutes of ''intense'' workout, and another 50-odd during my cooldown.

Lunch was an unusual circumstance which I will not divulge past admitting I did something I normally don''t do but paid for it in the form of a nasty headache for the rest of the day. It''s surprisingly easy to avoid bread when wheat kicks you in the face ever time you eat it...
38.gif

My post-workout dinner was salmon-celery salad with lettuce, garnished with a rice cake. So to speak. I felt like I needed carbs, so I ate an apple, a small handful of grapes, and about three tablespoons of sweet potato I sliced up and boiled.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I nearly forgot!

Lululemon''s ''Bounce Breaker'' is a GODSEND! I cannot possibly rant and rave enough over this brilliant piece of engineering. Incredible. The pain that normally accompanies any sort of exertion was completely absent, and it did its job so well that it wasn''t until after my workout that I realized "oh yeah, that is normally painful!" and I''m so thrilled. A must-have for any woman above a B!

And lastly, after my post-elliptical stretches, I did some ab work as this is my ''problem area''. I''ve got a serious case of swayback, so most ab workouts tax my back long before they engage my abs. I''m very concerned about my muscle tone there, especially in my lower abdomen, as I sit at a desk all day and am not permitted to get up and move around for even a few minutes. I live in fear of ''trucker belly'' as my mother terms it, and I can see the shape of my abdomen changing (for the worse) even after 3 months of my my behind in a seat for 7 hours a day, minimum.

I''m especially concerned about my sides, as I have a wide waist and would like to pull those muscles in. Any suggestions for non-back-straining ab workouts? The normal ''on back, legs in the air'' exercises don''t work for me as it takes effort and concentration to flatten my lower back against the floor at the best of times.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Galeteia,
have you ever tried doing ab work on a balance ball? I've found it's easier on my back then doing sit ups on the floor.
It takes some getting used to, but I find it very affective. There are also some side "plank" positions that you can do
that wouldn't cause back strain. I'm not sure that I can effectively describe a side plank... but you start on your side, propping yourself up with one arm. I usually stretch the opposite arm into the air and stare at a wall. The object is to hold that position for a while, maybe 20 seconds or whatever you can stand. Do the same on the opposite side.

ETA: I found these perhaps clearer instructions of the side plank online:

1. Laying on your side, start with elbow and forearm on the ground and feet stacked on top of each other
2. Lifting the body up in a straight line, raise other arm straight towards the ceiling, and turn head up to the ceiling, and hold
3. Make sure to keep the body aligned and stomach tight
4. This exercise can be progressed for advanced and regressed for beginners

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I did my total body training class afterwork yesterday. And last night we had book club and everyone brought holiday goodies, but I was really good and only had a few bites...its a good thing I ate dinner right before I came otherwise I would have devoured everything. And I only had one glass of wine...thats a first.

I saw my old manager yesterday (she''s at another office now, but was here for a meeting), I hand''t seen her in 6 months, she is so tiny now...She said that she has started running 4.5 miles a day on the treadmill 5 days a week. I need to start doing more cardio.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job everyone!

Rod, great to hear from you, sounds like you are getting settled and I hope you and Charlie find a fabulous sushi bar for your first weekend!!!

Gala - my home elliptical has edging round it to stop my feet slipping, maybe change your workout shoes might help to give you better grip? Make sure it is properly balanced too as ours creaked until we got it spot on and it took a while. I thieved one of Hubby's weight lifting gloves to stabilize ours and I was in SO much trouble when he found it squashed under one of the elliptical feet! Hehehe.....I had a quiet non squeaky workout though!
41.gif
Look for a disc under the machine towards the back probably and twist it to stabilize, it is trial and error to begin with.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have only worked out once so far this week
7.gif
Not great but my stomach was really bothering me yesterday, which was supposed to be day 2 so I took a break. I don''t feel bad about the break but don''t want to stay away too long or else my motivation drops. So although I''m not feeling 100% today, I am going to workout tonight unless my stomach gets worse throughout the day. I''ll either do a class at the gym or the regular elliptical.
Lorelei and Mara, it''s funny, I am the exact opposite about the ellip. vs. treadmill. I''m much more bored on the treadmill b/c I can''t read. On the ellip., I read a magazine or book or anything to keep me from focusing on the time. When I''m attempting to run, I just can''t focus on reading and I''m paying more attention to the minutes left. I have started using my mp3 player at the gym and that helps! I still can''t find a good pair of headphones though. That is annoying! And I put all these songs on my mp3 player and now it won''t let me access them. I''m wondering if my free month at Rhapsody was only a trial and they take away the songs once the month is over. I am confused!!

So that''s my update, not much to report. Eating has been good this week and I''m drinking more water, speaking of which... off to drink some more and do some work!

It''s almost the weekend!!

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I''m fairly new to PS, but have been following this thread. I want to join all of you as soon as I get my internet access back up and running at home. I love to workout and you all are a great support/advice group!

Anyway, I was wondering if those of you with IPOD/MP3 players would mind posting your favorite songs? I love upbeat music. I''ll compile a list of my favorites as well and post them. I have to admit to loving disco/70''s and 80''s music. But, I have been listening to the same stuff for about a year now. I''m hoping to receive a new nano for Christmas and then I can fill it with some fresh music!

Thanks!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh the other thing i forgot to mention is that i lost a lb from saturday-wednesday. it could have just been water weight but i'm sure it was muscle!! because i basically sat on my bum for 4 days while sick. yesterday after my workout i gained the lb back...haha. anyway who knows what it was..but i was happy at least to see that i hadn't gained 5 lbs or anything while being sick or eating like a sow all wkd. i have been very good the last few days with food since i was not able to do my same workout regime and honestly...it has got me craving to continue with the good eating. i think i was getting a little 'free' with my food for a while because i am supposed to consume so many calories when working out the way i was. i wasn't eating BAD stuff but i was eating more food and i felt like sometimes too much even though the scale wasn't doing anything one way or another. but mentally i was not super happy with eating 1800 a day, i felt like it allowed me too many liberties.

but yesterday i had a pretty 'simple' day and my calories were only 1400 which is PERFECT for me if i decide to not work out as much. so i might try to cut down workouts to just 4x a week burning about 500 cals a day...nothing spectacular and definitely doable, and keep my cals around 1400-1500 rather than working out 6x a week and eating more like 1800 a day. i obviously already have a ton of muscle and i already have lost the fat i wanted to and i want to stay where i am at...so i think i might do that plan basically until christmas (obviously not on the days when we have parties and stuff) and take a little mental break that way too from the hard core stuff. i do miss the treadmill though, i can't wait to get back on it. i like my old routine of doing 30 min treadmill and 30 min elliptical and i get basically the same calorie burn but it's just flat out more interesting to chop it up that way. hehee.

oh and gala...i wouldn't worry about your wide waist just yet..if you have fat, then work on getting that off first. the way the trainer told me was you could have a six pack under your fat on your stomach and you won't even know if you still have fat on your stomach!! and i always had a wide waist too, not much of a dip going on. so what i did was just focus on losing the fat around my problem areas...and then once that was basically gone, lo and behold, i had an actual waist!!!! and it had a nice curvy dip! and i don't have to do that much to maintain it to look good, just situps a few times a week. so i'd focus on doing the cardio to get rid of the fat and build the muscle then assess what you might need to continue to tone up.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 11:09:39 AM
Author: Mara

oh and gala...i wouldn''t worry about your wide waist just yet..if you have fat, then work on getting that off first. the way the trainer told me was you could have a six pack under your fat on your stomach and you won''t even know if you still have fat on your stomach!! and i always had a wide waist too, not much of a dip going on. so what i did was just focus on losing the fat around my problem areas...and then once that was basically gone, lo and behold, i had an actual waist!!!! and it had a nice curvy dip! and i don''t have to do that much to maintain it to look good, just situps a few times a week. so i''d focus on doing the cardio to get rid of the fat and build the muscle then assess what you might need to continue to tone up.

The trouble is, even when I''m skinny (skinny enough to see the shape muscles in my abdomen even when I''m not flexing) I still have no waist to speak of, because the muscles at the side are untoned and I''m built more or less straight from armpit to hip. Most womens'' ribcages taper in towards their waists, and mine just doesn''t.
39.gif

Also, I''d like to reduce the trucker belly I''m developing, but I don''t want to lose a lot of weight. Maybe 10lbs of pudge at most. Body fat is the only thing giving me an illusion of curves, so I don''t want to get rid of it!

Tybee, thanks for the suggestion; I did try some plank exercises but it''s really hard to keep my back straight while doing it, so I tend to concentrate on that and any ab work falls to the wayside.

Lorelei, do you mean the edging on the pedals? Mine has that too, but it doesn''t seem to stop my feet from edging forward and over the ''lip'' while I am working out. We investigated the bottom of our elliptical and it doesn''t seem to have an adjusting wheel... it is a smaller ''compact'' version, so maybe it doesn''t have that feature? It does seem to be that the neck is rocking back and forth as my weight shifts from side to side.

And did I mention lululemon''s ''bounce breaker'' bra is amazing?
41.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey There.

First let me congratulate Galateia on your workout. The first step is the hardest. Now just keep taking those steps!!

Had a good day on my new job. I''m becoming a bit more comfortable with the environment and surroundings. My new office furniture arrived today, so I now have really nice furniture. I received my laptop and I''ve met just about every functional area in the company. Now, all I have to do is put the pieces together so it all makes sense and I can actually start doing what they hired me to do.

I didn''t leave work until after 6 again, but I found a shorter route to the gym, so it was a little les stressful getting there. Since we don''t work out on Fridays, I wanted to make sure I put in a full and hard workout, so I was there nearly 3 hours (I know a bit excessive) but it felt good. My legs are finally adjusted to the ellipticals at this gym. I''m not sure I understand why I go further in miles (over 7 miles), but burn fewer calories, at least according to the elliptical.

Next week, we''ll be at an older gym, but they have the ellipticals we used in Florida, so while the other equipment is only so-so, I will be looking forward to more familiar machines. The gym we''re currently using (Golds Gym) seemed pretty cool at first, but we''ve noticed they don''t keep it clean like our Florida gym and the atmosphere just lacks a sense of excitement that permeated our gym. So.....we can''t wait until the 15th, when our FLorida gym is open up here in Raleigh!!

Tomorrow is Sushi night and Lorelei, we have found a terrific place. I''m looking forward to that. On Saturday we''re going to the new mall where Nordstrom is (must have a Nordstrom where we live) because we Nordstrom certificates that are about to expire.

If I don''t check in till this weekend, I hope everyone is looking forward to a fun and healthful time.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone.

I''m jealous of you guys using the ellipticals. I''m not really into those.
I use 12 different weight stations and the results have been great so far.
I try to add a new weight machine every week. The problem is that sometimes
I''m not sure how to use a machine
34.gif
.guess I''ll have to ask someone.
I know that I''m not doing everything that I should do for a total workout, but
at least I''ve been faithful to my 3x a week schedule. The big "50" is coming in 12 days
32.gif

KEEP ON TRACKin

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rod...good to see you getting settled
1.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2006 11:10:06 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Rod...good to see you getting settled
1.gif
Thanks Jeff.......I really encourage you to add cardio/aerobic activity to your workout routine. I don''t ever workout without doing at least 45 minutes on the elliptical. I know my cardiovascular system is in the best shape it''s ever been. I want the inside to look as healthy as the outside. I hope you''ll do the same.

Anyway, enough sermonizing. Your friend.......Rod

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Rod, I don''t really understand the distance meter on the elliptical. I usually just ignore it. I''m not sure if they''re ever accurate, because I''m quite aware of how my body feels after running 3 miles or so at a certain intensity and on the elliptical...it''s supposed to be a "softer" version of running right? Well, it''s still nowhere near close to how my lungs and my non-knee muscles feel after 3 miles of running. The calorie counters are usually more on target.

Jeff, the big "50" what? Just kidding!! Cheers to you for keeping up with the workout at such a young age!

Galateia, do you normally do on-the-floor situps? I got a balance ball and it alleviates back pain. Until you get one of those, try the following for your sides (these two work really well for me):
1. sit on the floor with your knees bent. Contract your abs TIGHT so that your back is angled at about 45 degrees to the floor. Make sure your back is STRAIGHT!! Hold a 10-15 pound dumbell or weighted ball with both hands about chest height midway between your chest and your knees. Twist your entire torso to the right (you''ll feel it low on your obliques), keeping your dumbell in front of your chest. Then twist to the left. As for repetitions and sets, it''s different for everyone. I usually go by "do a lot, wait, and then do a lot more."
2. hold a 5-8 pound dumbell or a balance ball above your head with both hands (arms straight, back straight, feet hip-width apart). CAVEAT: I honestly don''t know if this is safe for people with serious back problems!!! Be very very very careful! If you have serious back problems, don''t even bother with this one. Hold your abs in tight and bend sideways to the right. Keep arms, and back straight. Knees may be slightly bent. Then come to center. Next bend to the left. I usually do this one with a balance ball. I think I can handle something like 3 sets of 50 (each bend counts as one. right1, left2, right3, left4, etc).

I didn''t get to work out yesterday or today...I shopped a lot though!!! Didn''t spend much but walked back and forth through the mall to look at china patterns and flatware. I''m always getting lost (yes, even in a mall) so I had to walk from one end to another at least 4 times, not to mention all the circuitous routes through each department store. :) I ate fairly small meals (I have a tendency to eat large amounts) yesterday and today. Yay for that. Self-control.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats everyone sounds like they are doing great. i actually had a pretty good day...cereal for breakfast, then lunch i met a friend for sushi. i had one roll and one order of fresh salmon (sake) and some edamame and miso. but overall it was a fair amount of calories, sushi and rice has a ton of them, probably my lunch was about 800. like a dinner! so then i had a jello cup for a snack. i was proud of myself this morning because my boss brought in a huge thing of fresh pastries from a fab restaurant, and i turned it down because i was going to get sushi and wanted to be good this morning. well this afternoon there were 2 pastries left...hee hee. so i cut off like 1/2 of one and ate it. but at least it wasn''t a chocolate croissant. lol. then i hit up the gym and did 50 minutes on the elliptical again, mega boring, esp since my iPod died at minute 40. hehee. but i powered through it... so i was happy with that. and for dinner we are like rushing around getting stuff ready since we are heading off to vegas for a long wkd tomorrow morning, so i ended up having some fiber cereal..hehe. i love this stuff, i am totally obsessed with it!!! so overall a good day.

tomorrow through sunday we''ll be in vegas, and i know we will be eating up a storm! i am hoping to hit the gym at least one day if not two for a quickie workout and just get the blood flowing...but we''ll see. anyhow, have a great wkd everyone if i do not log on until we return ...!!!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 12:03:19 AM
Author: CrownJewel

Galateia, do you normally do on-the-floor situps? I got a balance ball and it alleviates back pain. Until you get one of those, try the following for your sides (these two work really well for me):

1. sit on the floor with your knees bent. Contract your abs TIGHT so that your back is angled at about 45 degrees to the floor. Make sure your back is STRAIGHT!! Hold a 10-15 pound dumbell or weighted ball with both hands about chest height midway between your chest and your knees. Twist your entire torso to the right (you''ll feel it low on your obliques), keeping your dumbell in front of your chest. Then twist to the left. As for repetitions and sets, it''s different for everyone. I usually go by ''do a lot, wait, and then do a lot more.''

2. hold a 5-8 pound dumbell or a balance ball above your head with both hands (arms straight, back straight, feet hip-width apart). CAVEAT: I honestly don''t know if this is safe for people with serious back problems!!! Be very very very careful! If you have serious back problems, don''t even bother with this one. Hold your abs in tight and bend sideways to the right. Keep arms, and back straight. Knees may be slightly bent. Then come to center. Next bend to the left. I usually do this one with a balance ball. I think I can handle something like 3 sets of 50 (each bend counts as one. right1, left2, right3, left4, etc).

My problem isn''t so much back pain as difficulty in keeping my back straight. This makes anything involving ''straightening of the back'' a monumental effort; it''s like the old joke about chewing gum and walking! By 45 degree angle, do you mean lean back? I can probably manage a 80 degree angle before I get into back-arching problems. I wonder if this could be done at an almost upright angle?

I''m beginning to wonder if I should just try to find an independent pilates instructor and purchase a session so they can help me ''tailor'' the movements to my limitations. Do y''all think that would be a good idea?

The second exercise, with the ball or weights, is done in a standing position, yes? If so, I should be able to do that one without difficulty, since I can un-arch my back fairly easily if at a 90 degree angle.

My roomate gave me a print out of a great ab exercise last night. Was I ever sore this morning! It targets the lower abdominals: while on all fours, the back is straightened and the stomach is allowed to ''pooch out'' as you exhale completely, then you suck your belly button and lower abs in as hard and as tight as you can for 40 seconds while breathing shallowly. After a few rounds of this, I felt the burn, and it was great to have such a ''deep'' muscle workout. I also did a series of exercises in my chair at work (thank you, bellydance!) and my abs are feeling sore enough that I decided to just keep things to some stretches and not attack my abs again until tomorrow night.

Since I''m having the creaking problem with my elliptical, I only did 7 minutes on it, but an extremely high resistance and at a slow pace to minimize the creak. I still managed to burn 100 cals in those 7 minutes, and it felt great just to get that exercise in. I will need to switch to working out BEFORE work, since jacking it up at night gets me too revved up to sleep.

I''d love to have that problem going INTO work!

Lastly, dinner was a huge balsamic vinaigrette salad with a dollop of goat cheese and some blackberries on their last legs, and two grilled chicken thighs. I''m trying to eat my ''heavier'' meals early in the day, and stick to light things for dinner.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to our thread DancingQueen! We find it helpful to compare notes and keep each other motivated, so glad you decided to join us!

Mara, thats a good move to cut calories a bit on non workout days, I try to do this too.

Gala, try positioning your feet further forward, this might avoid slippage on the ellip.

Rod have a great sushi feed!
3.gif

Jeff, some cardio is great for fitness, someone like yourself who is fit already, maybe 3 times a week would be good? You have done so well by keeping up your routine faithfully, I bet Arnie has nothing on you nowadays!!
16.gif
What do you have planned for your big 50 celebrations?
emotion-19.gif

I didn't have the chance to workout yesterday and won't today, but I will do both days on the weekend to make up for it. I have already got 3 workouts in since Sunday.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Rod and Lorelei,

I promise to start some elliptical work next week.

You guys have been so great! Hey everyone...these weekly workout threads really help
36.gif

Mara- enjoy Vegas. My sister lives nearby in Henderson, NV and loves it (she''s a NY transplant).

KEEP ON TRACKin

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like everyone''s workouts are going well!

Well, I''m still working out my 4 days a week. The workouts are pretty boring since I''m just running on the treadmill. I''m so not a wintertime person, so I can''t run outside. Last night I felt really good and did 2 miles 1/4 mile sprints and 1/10 mile fast walks. I''m really starting to be able to run faster and run faster longer! I''m up to 8.5 miles per hour, and I think the max speed is 10 miles per hour on my treadmill. I don''t know what I''m going to do if I ever get up to where 10 miles per hour feels easy. Does anyone know if they make treadmills that go faster than 10 mph?

I''m going to do my last workout of the week today. Have a great weekend, everyone!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Appletini, your class sounds like a good one. This one I have started at my gym is tae bo like and I enjoy it. There are no weights and the one before uses weights but no cardio. I don''t know if they have one that encompasses both but some of the tapes I''ve used do both. I used to use weights more but recently have just focused on the cardio. I know I should do both but I have so much that I want to lose that I feel cardio is more necessary at this point. What are planks and serpentines? Is that the same as the side plank described?

Mara, I am going to try that Turkey Lasagna soon b/c it sounds good!
18.gif

CJ, I do like yoga. I''ve taken a few classes which I like. If there was one that fit my schedule, I would definitely take it. I may try that dvd you suggested b/c the ones I''ve done, I haven''t liked. Not sure I could do Power Yoga but I''d try it.

Lorelei, good suggestion about doing something a little different those last 5 mins. of extra time. I will try that next time. Right now, I do a weight loss thing on the ellip. that has 4 bars fairly mild and 4 bars extra hard. It is tough but I like it. I also always burn more calories on the ellip. than the treadmill. I think that''s b/c I''m able to work out a little harder since I can''t keep up the running for too long w/o walking breaks.
Mara, I can''t imagine staying on ANY machine for 2 hours. Yikes!! That is true dedication!
Congrats on losing a lb!

Rod, sounds like you''re adjusting a bit. That''s great! Very nice that the gym you used in Fl. will open there. That works out perfectly!
Jeff, I have the opposite problem w/all cardio and few weights. But that''s great that you''re maintaining 3 days!

Tybee, usually I don''t have problems w/my feet hurting on the ellip. That''s one of the other reasons I like, it feels less intense on my body parts.

Mara, I''ve been having those jello cups as snacks too. They work well for me b/c I don''t like them too, too much so I don''t have them all the time but I like them enough to fill my sweet tooth (a little bit).

Gala, that''s great that you have your own ellip. Great job on the workout!

Coda, running at 8.5 miles is fantastic! I''ve never considered running faster than the machine allows so not sure what to do w/that problem. That''s a good problem to have!

As for me, I went to my class again last night. 2nd time for me. I really like it! The routine was different enough to stay interesting and the time goes fast. I feel it''s my best workout during the week.

Have a good weekend everyone!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear Gala! What''s wrong with your back? Yes the 2nd excercise is done standing, but since I''m not sure what the problem is with your back, maybe you shouldn''t try it. You should see an expert about specific excercises that are safe for your back. A pilates instructor would be great!

dancingqueen, I''m looking up my Workout playlist right now. Off the top of my head, I know I kick into high mode whenever this one song on my playlist comes on..."Here Comes the Pain" by the Farmer Boys. I''m not sure if everyone will like it, it''s kind of scary.

Ok, my Workout playlist (don''t laugh, some of these songs may be considered lame and embarrassing, I made this mix like 4 years ago and haven''t really updated it!!! It still works for me!):
Blue Monday - Orgy
Bodyrock - Moby
Castles in the Sky - DJ Matrix (?)
Here Comes the Pain - Farmer Boys
I Gotta Get Through This - Daniel Bettingfield
I turn to you (Dance Mix) - Mel C
Move This - Technotronic
Jolene - The White Stripes
No Letting Go - Wayne Wonder
One More Time - Daft Punk
She Wants to Move - N.E.R.D.
Shut Up - Black Eyed Peas
Sugar Sugar - Baby Bash
Summer Sucks - BLESTeNATION
The Boogie That Be - Black Eyed Peas
Hotel Yorba - The White Stripes
Like A Prayer - Madonna

Most of these used to be played over and over again at the first gym I ever belonged to, and they kind of stuck with me because of the beat. Haha, I never realized this but my songs are kind of in alphabetical order.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the song ideas!

Here are some of my favorites. My tastes are all over the place too. Don''t judge me by my workout songs!! :) I can post a more extensive list after I check my files at home. Probably won''t be until next week''s thread though.

Also, I don''t know a lot of the artist''s names so forgive me if they are incorrect or missing.

Ready to Run - Dixie Chicks
Push It - Salt & Pepa
Bust a Move - Young MC
You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
Atomic Dog - George Clinton?
Freakshow on the Dancefloor
Shake Your Groove Thing
Get Down on It
Get Down Tonight - KC and the Sunshine Band
PYT - Michael Jackson
ABC - Jackson 5
To Be Real - Cheryl Lynn
Bad Girls - Donna Summer
Superfreak - Rick James
Play that Funk Music
September - EWF?
Stayin Alive
Jive Talkin
Back In Black - ACDC
You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC
Beautiful Day - U2
I like a lot of other U2 stuff, but can''t think of the names. Sometimes it''s a little too mellow for what I want when I''m working out.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
any song by Rick James is a motivator....no, seriously.

He''s the original Super Freak, after all.
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Friday All!

The last few days have been busy! Eating wise I''ve been good, I didn''t exercise yesterday but I did get a good, long walk in this afternoon. I''m making beef tenderloin in french onion sauce for dinner (a CL recipe that looks delicious!). Breakfast was oatmeal, as always, lunch was a protein bar and an apple.

Tomorrow we''re going to a Chistmas shindig at my MIL''s board and care facility. I made cookies for the contest they''re having yesterday (Liar''s cookies, deep fried, not a recipe for the WWT!) I ate 1/4 of one to see how they taste as I''ve never made them before, but have been really good otherwise. We''re also going to a Christmas tree lighting tomorrow night and then out to dinner, probably Thai food.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Rod: glad you''re starting to settle in

Mara: have a blast in Vegas

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Crown,

I''m not sure if the distance meter is accurate or not, but I do know that running is SO different from the elliptical. If you''re saying your lungs and knee''s don''t feel as stressed after 3 miles on the elliptical that would make sense, but if you feel more stressed, you might want to check your foot position and posture to make sure you''re not putting undue stress somewhere. Even after over a year on the elliptical using a different machine has made my legs sore in a different fashion than I''ve ever felt from the ellitptical before. I do believe the distance is likely pretty accurate as the revolutions are fixed and the machine only has to count revolutions to determine how far you''ve been. I have problems with the heart monitors, or I''ve gotten to the point that about halfway through on just about every machine I use, my heart rate goes down significantly. Since the calorie burn is tied to revolutions/minute and heartrate, my calorie burn level is either lower or higher depending on whether the heart rate monitor is truly accurate.

Jeff: I''m going to hold you accountable to getting in some aerobic work. I''m sure your gym has options like treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers, etc. While I''m an ellitptical freak, you might want to try the various machines to see which one you like and which one you will use on a regular basis.

We had a wonderful Sushi-fest tonight. I wasn''t aware that most sushi places offer Wasabi that is really wasabi flavored with horseradish and it''s not really natural wasabi. Our new sushi place offers natural wasabi for an additional $4, but it''s so unbelievably good, that it will be hard to have the not natural ever again. If any of you are sushi lovers (Like MARA!) ask your favorite sushi house if they import real Wasabi. If they do, pay the difference, it''s worth it.

This our first real weekend in Raleigh. It''s really cold tonight and going down to the teens. It''s been a long time since we''ve experienced temperatures this cold, but I have to admit it''s somewhat invigorating and since it''s Christmas time, wearing a heavy leather coat and scarve and gloves seems more holiday like. We''re going to the mall and do some gift shopping and find a neat funky place to eat near downtown. We''ll also work out both Saturday and Sunday, so we''re looking forward to a more normal pace for us.

Thanks everyone who wished us well this week. Keeping us in your thoughts has helped so much as we transition from Florida to NC.

I hope you are all planning a fantastic weekend!
36.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
CrownJewel, I have a form of scoliosis called ''swayback'' which means that the curve of your lower back is more curved than most people''s, as if you were constantly ''arching'' your back to, um, make your girls (and tummy) stick out. My lower back is unusually flexible and I used to be able to bend backward far enough to pull my heel up against my shoulder with no problem... think the ''bow'' position in yoga.

So every waking moment, I am tilting my pelvis forward and up so I have a more normal, average curve to my lower back. This means that anything involving ''leaning back'' makes it difficult to keep my back from regaining it''s excessive arch. Am I making any sense?

Anyway, ran out of time before work this morning so only got a 8 minute workout on my machine, but was able to go hard (the machine was creaking like a newlyweds'' bed frame
20.gif
) enough to burn 100 cals, and break out in a sweat. Some quick stretches later, I was in the shower and hustling my self off to work.

I''m concerned about my HR monitor in my machine; I noticed that when I gripped the HR plates during my workout, my HR was only 72, which seemed strange considering that sweat was beading up on my brow and I was panting like a racehorse. At the end of the workout, when I STOPPED moving, and just held the plates, my HR climbed to 132 after perhaps a minute of holding it at a dead standstill!

I take it this means my machine isn''t measuring my HR properly; do I need to get a chest HR monitor?

Oh yeah: 1st meal of the day was a bagel with cheese (bad, bad, BAD gala!) because I didn''t get a chance to eat anything after my workout and thus had nothing to eat all day until almost 3 pm, and with a workout beforehand, too. I glugged down a cappuccino too, because I need a bit of caffeine at work but don''t want to drink a whole cup of coffee. 2nd meal was a chunky chicken and gumbo soup (130 cals) and an oatmeal muffin because I was still hungry. I need to figure out some portable source of gala-friendly carbs, because the soups I''ve been taking don''t have enough ''oomph''. Dinner was homemade tomato veggie soup made with sweet potatoes, garlic, corn, spinach (frozen spinach chunks are my friend) with two eggs dropped in. Surprisingly tasty, and healthy.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning ladies and gents!

Well I have been slightly MIA due to my schedule, but I got back in the gym for the first time in about 2 weeks. I''m not sure if it''s because I have an insane amount of stuff on my mind (or I just wanted to procrastinate from studying) but I had just about the smoothest run that I can remember. I ran 3 miles and would have done more but I knew I didn''t have any more time!

Does anyone else find that being insanely stressed creates an awesome running mindset?

Hopefully I can keep this up since my schedule will be a little lighter in about a week.

I''m glad to see everyone else is doing so well!
36.gif
Sorry about no individual comments this time...gotta get back to the books.

A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results