shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 31st Dec till 6th Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Year to you all!
emotion-19.gif
slider_grouphugg.gif
cheerleader1.gif

Rod, I am so glad Charlie loved the Charelei Cinnapie idea, and wouldn't that be incredible if one day we could make it a reality??
wobble2.gif

Today with all the talk of new year's resolutions which will abound, I wanted to try to include those who may read and not post, who may be having difficulties or feeling hopeless about their weight/ body fat situations. For those who may be about to embark on yet another diet, fad or otherwise, or just plain don't know how to even start to lose some fat and get healthier.

In my opinion, diets don't work, at least they never have for me on a long term basis. In fact, to me the word 'diet' conjures up 6 weeks of deprivation, which if I am strong enough to cope with it, at the end, my holy grail slim figure is finally within reach....I could slither into my skinny jeans / bikini/ minidress with a happy cry and run off into the sunset....Trouble is...

I would then run around like Macaulay in Home Alone and sit in front of the TV with a similar mammoth bowl of ice cream with all the trimmings. I would eat it and realise that I lacked the skills to keep me fitting into my skinny jeans/ bikini...6 weeks later, nothing would fit except my pre diet clothes.

Once I got fed up enough with my new and inevitable weight gain, back I would go on the next diet which may be low carb/ high protein/ cabbage soup/ Beverly Hills ( thats going back a bit
41.gif
) high fibre/ etc etc. Then the same thing would happen again, the usual pattern of gain and loss. This was my life, until one day, finally - I HAD HAD ENOUGH!
29.gif
29.gif

My weight and diets had caused me so much misery over the years, yet I seemed to be the only person I knew living like this...
gaah.gif
There had to be more to life that constantly being on a diet, this feast or famine lifestyle I had. Until one day, the penny finally dropped. Why had I never considered eating carefully and trying to make good fuel choices for my body most of the time, with room for a little chocolate on occasion if I wanted it. This idea seemed so simple, even too easy, yet was so alien to me with my all or nothing ideas. Yet it seemed the only way forward to me, as I was determined my days of restriction / hunger/ overeating were over. Also I was going to try to fix my poor metabolism which was wrecked by my low calorie days it seemed, by exercising.

Almost 3 years on, I am finally very happy where I am at. Sure there are things I would like to improve on same as everyone, but all in all I am at peace with my body. I eat healthily about 80 - 90% of the time, try to aim for 6 small meals a day to try to keep my blood sugar stable and avoid extreme hunger, and exercise 4- 5 times a week for at least 30 mins. I look and feel good and I have no use for diets as I have committed to doing this for life, instead of 6 weeks. There was hope for me after all and a life after dieting. If I slip up and eat too much of the wrong things, I pick myself up and carry on, the days of punishing myself are now where they belong, in the past. Feeling guilty about food has no place in my future.

It wasn't all plain sailing getting to where I am now, I still have to work at it both physically and emotionally, but the difference is I have a way of life I can LIVE with and that is what makes all the difference. This time I wasn't looking for a quick fix, but a way to lose excess bodyfat and keep it off. The way I live now has succeeded so well in helping me do this. In fact all the WWTers live in a similar manner and all are a huge inspiration in how to live and enjoy life, yet keeping and aiming for a healthy body.

So I would like to say thanks to all you regular WWTers for a great year in sharing your lives and success with us all and I look forward to our threads for 2008!

To those who may read and don't post, I wish you all a happy new year! If you would like to post and join us then please do, you will be very welcome! If you would rather read, then I hope you find some good tools and ideas to help you with your own healthier life journeys!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just adding PhoenixGirl''s post to this week''s thread.

P: 12/31/2007 1:07:37 AM

phoenixgirl

OK, it''s officiallly the 31st here on the East Coast so I know this thread will be caput soon, but I was lying in bed composing this message in my head so I decided to hop out and put the pen to the paper, so to speak. I''ll repost on the new thread if it seems this gets overlooked.

Marcyc, your look back a year ago is so inspirational. No Christmas present could compare with what you''ve accomplished (except new clothes for a new body are always appreciated ). I love the new collage!

SDL, welcome and kudos to you for making a healthy start to the new year.

Mara, I like the idea of intuitive eating. I think that as long as you''re not letting your blood sugar go haywire, thus making you think your body is telling you to shovel crap into your mouth all the time, then you should trust your body when you have that sweet or salty or what have you craving.

Monarch, I hope your DH feels better now!

Rod, I love hearing your mouth-watering descriptions of the great food you eat, except for when it causes me hunger.

TanDogMom, ew, onion rings on the taco?

Jas, I am very impressed at 3 hours on the bike. You go girl!

Deejay, good work on going to the gym so much!

Steph, with your detox plan I''m sure the 7 lbs. will be history soon.

Skippy, I''m so sorry to hear about your aunt and the other deaths in your family this year. Please take time for yourself and know that I''m thinking about you.

Kimberly, I hope you feel better soon!

OK, whew, that''s what I get for being away from here for so long.

I seem to have done ok this holiday. I returned home today after being away for 10 days, and haven''t gained any weight. I did the Firm 3 x while I was gone (plus today), and I jogged twice. Not as much exercise as I''d normally like to get, but I was in DisneyWorld for 2 nights as well and didn''t exercise there. I never took an escalator or people-mover when possible, which helped keep me energized. My feet did hurt at the end of the day after standing in line and walking all day (now I understand why so many out-of-shape people who don''t appear to use wheelchairs normally rent those scooters at DW), but I definitely felt better than I did when I went as a teenager.

Food-wise, well, it wasn''t the best of times, but it wasn''t the worst of times. I really only regretted a piece of grocery-store freezer section pumpkin pie because I ate it just because it was handed to me. I didn''t regret the many yummy chocolates, or the unusual number of steaks, or the yummy turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy, or the chocolates . . . did I mention the chocolates? I didn''t regret those things because I chose to eat them when I was hungry, and I ate a reasonable amount, and relatively speaking I made healthy choices for the most part. But I really regretted that pie because I didn''t want it, and it was kind of gross, so it was just extra calories for no reason.

Enough about me, on to the real reason I came on here:

Anyway, here''s why I popped out of bed 25 minutes ago. I saw a childhood friend over the holiday. When we hit puberty, she definitely gained some flab, but in a Renoir kind of way . . . curvy is the right word, I guess. In college she began losing weight (45 pounds total to date). Later she was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune disease. She and her family members are all very smart health professionals, so she has a rational understanding of what she is doing to her body.

We got to talking about how we hoped we didn''t gain holiday weight and what workouts we liked to do. Then she just kept talking . . . about how she hasn''t gotten her period in months, and how her BMI is below normal (something below 18.5) and her family wants her to gain five pounds, and how she got sick last month and lost all her muscle so now her bones stick out of her chest. Whereas I gained 25 pounds and still didn''t fill out my A cup bra, she definitely used to be endowed and now looks like me. Before I realized that she might have a problem I mentioned that my general approach is to eat strictly during the day, maybe 1000 to 1200 calories before dinner, so I can just eat whatever I want for dinner, maybe another 1000 calories with wine and dessert. She said, oh, she realized that she sometimes "accidentally" only ate 1000 calories in a day, and I shared my genuine reaction: "On no! That''s horrible!"

The worst part was when she told me about a friend at work. I told her that not getting her period was "biofeedback" that she isn''t eating enough, and she said she knew that, but it was really hard because she had a friend at work who is/was anorexic and is underweight again after having kids. Her friend eats only 600 calories a day!!! and will put a chocolate in her mouth only to spit it out (to which my friend replied that your saliva has already broken down some of the chocolate, implying that her friend should beware of this accidental calorie ingestion). She said that this friend made her feel like she had to be "psycho" too and egged her on to eat as little as possible and that she can''t help counting calories and predeterming her portions all the time. Even after she said she was bony and underweight, she stressed that she would be sure to gain muscle, not fat.

So I''ve been trying to figure out what I can/should do. I know that I''m not responsible for her choices and that I''m not the only one aware of her problem, but I feel that there must be a reason she was so eager to confide in me, even when I expressed shock and horror at what she was telling me.

The last thing I wonder about is the role my friend''s disease might play in all of this. We haven''t been in touch that much since her diagnosis, so I''m not too sure how much it affects her, but I wonder if she is trying to control her body in this way since it might seem out of control in others. But the sad irony is that she needs to be eating a good diet all the more to keep herself healthy.

So I know there''s not much I can do as a once-a-year friend, but I wanted to share this story because it reminded me that health is why we''re here. This is a workout thread, where we emphasize building muscle and keeping our bodies fit and agile. It''s easy to become consumed by numbers, but just as we are avoiding the trap of being sedentary and eating large quantities of crap, so too must we avoid the trap of becoming obsessive-compulsive about eating and exercising.

And if anyone has any experience dealing with eating disorders and insight on how I can be a good friend, that would be great. My friend was so eager to share her story, and I feel like there must be a reason why.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all -- a quick pop in...

Phoenixgirl -- My mother has anorexia. She has had ups and downs (so to speak) with it for nigh on 30 years. I need to really think about a response here because, obviously, it''s not easily overcome. I think the "overcoming" rate, sadly, is fairly low (I want to say 10-15% but I could just be blowing smoke.) I will think a lot about this, though, and get back to you either tomorrow or Wednedsay b/c we are flying out tomorrow. One thing I can say quickly is that this is a very toxic form of perfectionism (I''ll explain more later) -- it''s about having control, complete control over one aspect of your life. The less you eat, the more bones you see, the lower the number on the scale, the more times someone says "You look thin" are victories. Add to that a skewed body image and you''ve got a real issue. This is really hard to talk about and I am so proud of you for speaking up for your friend, no matter how often you see her. Hugs to you for wanting to help.

Skippy -- I''m so sorry for your loss. I hope 2008 will be a better year for you and for your family.

Lorelei -- having the scale creep back up on me this morning (darned delicious penne last night) I truly appreciate your opening. I''m just tired of hovering around this weight. I have the keys -- I need to workout more (at home...on vacay I''ve been a nut) and keep eating healthy (I eat very very healthy at home. Again, on vacay, I''ve been a nut). Your opening gives me the light at the end of the tunnel that I need.

Happy New Year''s Eve, all!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Jas, you reminded me that my friend did mention how many compliments she is getting and how great that is. That definitely shows that her perspective is skewed. When someone says you look incredibly thin, I think the right response is to internally check and make sure that you are healthy or to ask friends/family for their honest opinion. I''ll be interested to read the rest of your response. I''m going to email my friend about this exercise video we had talked about as an intro to a dialogue about how we''re keeping in shape. That way she''ll have an opportunity if she wants to keep up the conversation about her weight.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35.gif
Happy last day of 2007. I started my day out on a happy note, I am back to minus 138 pounds and very close to hitting the minus 139 pound mark. Woo hoo!
Lorelei, thanks for sharing your inspirational story of your attempts and failures when being on short term diets and how changing you thinking for living and leading a healthy life full of wise choices, exercise and occasional splurges has led you to being a healthier person. I know the big key to my success is I know this is a journey that I will be on the rest of my life. Some days I may slip but I get right back on track and my splurges are even more sensible than they ever used to be. This was a choice I made and I am committed to it for life. I so prefer how I look and feel over a few warm chocolate chip cookies.
PhoenixGirl, thank you so very much for the kind words about my accomplishment. You are so correct; no Christmas gift could top what I’ve done for improving my health. Your vacation sounds terrific and that’s wonderful you didn’t gain any weight. I am saddened by the life your friend has chosen to lead. I’d be inclined to believe your theory that she is doing this partly to feel in control of her body but she certainly can’t be healthy living and eating the way she does. I understand your desire to help her; all I can suggest you do is to continue to stress the importance of eating more for her health. I wish her well.
Jas, have a safe trip home. No worries on a few extra pounds they’ll come off quickly!
Have a Happy New Year’s Eve! Laters,
Marcy

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
Skippy, I just saw your post in the last thread about losing your aunt and wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and your family. Big virtual hugs to you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy, great job on getting back to 138 pounds lost!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
That is so true about the cookies not being worth eating too many of, and that old saying of nothing tastes as good as slim feels is very true. I often ask myself what would make me happiest - a healthy and trim body or chocolate which will be over and done with in 2 minutes? Even though I love chocolate, I try not to eat too much of it or so often that it is detrimental to my body fat and fitness.

Hey tdiddy, Jas and PG
35.gif

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

I had quite the workout fiasco last night....

I worked out around 10 pm in our clubhouse last night. When I walked in I noticed that it smelled like something was burning and thought that maybe the furnance had kicked on or something (you know how when it first kicks on after of a few days of not running it can smell like something is burning?). About 10 minutes into my workout, I had this weird tickle in my throat. I plugged on for 45 minutes on the elliptical and finished up my workout. When I went around the corner to get a drink of water at the fountain, I noticed that the area around the ceiling lights looked smoky and my eyes started burning. Only after all of these HUGE RED FLAGS did I think to myself, maybe I should call the fire dept. So I proceed to call the non emergency dispatch number and ask them to send someone out to take a quick look around as the fire alarms were not going off and agreed to wait outside the building to let the person in (the clubhouse is usually locked). Two HUGE fire/ladder trucks and 10 fireman later, they figured out that whoever had used the main part of the clubhouse for a football party earlier that day had apparently made a mess in the oven and left it running. So the stuff in the bottom of the oven was burning and causing the odor and the smoke. At that point my asthma (which hasnt bothered me in 4-5 years) had totally flared up and I had to use a rescue inhaler. Although the asthma part was no big deal, they thought I was a total idiot for working out for 45 minutes in a smoky facility.....I on the other hand was just glad I had finished my workout
3.gif

Today I am going to run at the gym and then will probably catch a matinee with my sister. Must resist popcorn! Tonight my parents host a little get together and grill out filet mignon and other goodies....so one last foodie hurray before the holiday is officially over.

Have a great New Year everyone!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Good morning and Happy New Year''s Eve! I have done really well for the past 2 days food and exercise wise and am feeling soooo much better leaving off the sweets. Got another craving last night for something sweet, so I cut up lots of fruit, and put yogurt in a little cup with a drop or two of honey mixed in as a dip for the fruit. It was really yummy and satisfied that craving. I am going to try to only weigh myself once a week on Saturdays from now on. I can get a little obsessive about the scale and really that is not good. I know I just need to focus on living a healthy lifestyle and the weight will come off. Breakfast today was oatmeal and then a luna bar for a morning snack. I''m about to take Andrew for a walk up to the park (about 3 miles round trip) and we will have a picnic of turkey and lf cheese on a whole wheat pita with veggies and lf ranch dip. Yummy. Haven''t really decided what we''re having for dinner tonight, but I will have 1 glass of champagne to ring in the New Year. Hope everyone is having a great day!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Well I had good intentions of working out today...brought my work out clothes to work with me, but I had a delayed little hangover from one too many glasses of vino last night, so I decided to focus on rehydrating instead. Oh well its the last day of the year I can be good starting tomorrow.

Marcy, Congrats on the weightloss! Keep up the good work!

Happy New Year!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Years Eve!

There are a bunch of posts that ended up on last weeks'' thread. I''ve tried moving them, hope this helps:

Hi Everyone,

New Year''s tonight will be quiet for Rick and I. I am still battling this awful bronchitis. ICK.

Hi back at ya Marcy. Hi Skippy, Kimi, how are you feeling? Better I hope?

Love to you all.

Linda

I just wanted to peek my head in here to wish some of my most favorite peeps a Happy, Happy New Year! I will think of you all as I raise my glass to ring in the new year.

I hope everyone has fun tonight, whatever you do. And please, stay safe.

See ya next year!

Ellen

Hi Everyone,
New Year''s tonight will be quiet for Rick and I. I am still battling this awful bronchitis. ICK.
I assume you''ll be toasting with Nyquil?

I''m so sorry you''re still sick. I am just now done coughing myself. No fun.

Take care dearie!

Linda

And the same to you Sweet Ellen. We love ya.
Linda

Usually just a lurker on this thread, and I don''t want this come across as alarmist Marcy. If possible maybe your Mom could get checked out. We recently lost my wonderful MIL due to a major stroke. Reading your Mom''s symptoms brought a flashback. I hope she is feeling better.

BurqueTurkey

I highlighted each post in a different color so everyone could see where they switch off.

I''m still combating this stupid stomach/cold/ick/whatever. I feel better today, but not great. Hope everyone has a wonderful, safe NYE. Take care of yourselves, enjoy and relax!

Lorelei, I''m so all over the Charelei Cinnapie idea. Thanks for a brilliant beginning to a new year of the WWTer thread. The friendships and support I''ve found here have been such an amazing influence on me.

Thanks to all of you for being so great!

Kimi

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Afternoon sweet WWT Friends! My sister and I got up early at 9 and went shopping, we went to Apthropologie and bought some stuff and I bought a sonic jewelry cleaner at Sharper Image (we both tested out the massage chairs, hehee) and then we went to lunch at this wonderful Greek Restaurant and I had the chicken kabobs w/wonderful veggies. Then we went to Costco and I bought some fresh cherries, raspberry's, and some clothes for my nephew's 2nd bday tomorrow. Then we went to Sam's club to pick up the cake, then to the grocery store to buy wine, wooooo, I am pooped after 7 hrs of shopping! My sister and I had a good bonding day today which made me happy. Tomorrow is my cutie pie nephew's 2nd bday, yay I can't believe how time fly's; also my sister said she would start working out w/me at the gym starting, Tuesday, yay! Oh yeah, we are staying in tonight our friends have the flu; I feel so bad for them (it is no fun to be sick). They were cute because they were so excited to have us over but now I am a little relieved to be home and not have to be out w/the crazy unsafe drivers.

thanks again for all you sweet words about my dear aunt; they brought me comfort and I thank you dearest friends!!!
hug.gif

Lorelei, great opening friend; I cringe whenever I hear people say they are going on a diet. I think healthy eating taste much better than a diet and deprivation!

Phoneixgirl, thank you for your sweet words. Gosh, I am sorry about your friend, that is tough. I grew up w/some girls who would starve and one who was anorexic and still battles it to this day. I would try and check in on her and tell her she should be healthy, that is very scary and I will pray you find the right words for her.

Jas, darling, have a safe trip home and I am sorry to about your mom. Your trip sounded wonderful; I am so jelly in a good way. hehee Thanks for your kind words sweet friend!

Marcy, how is your mom?? I have been thinking about her and hope she is okay. Yay for 139 loss sweetie pie!!!!

Tdiddy, I think you are so sweet; thank you, here is a hug back for being so dear! Yikes to the oven fire; gosh, I am sorry about your asthma. I am so glad you are safe!!! Yay for the workout. Have a good run and enjoy the movie! Which movie? I love filet mignon, yum!

Steph, great job on doing well eating wise! Hey, I forgot to tell you Telluride, Co is super awesome for skiing but I do want you to come to NM so I could met ya! hehee yay for the walk!!!

Appletini, happy new year!

Kimi, sweetie, I am so sorry you are sick. Have sweet John take care of you. I have to say you are such a sweetie, thanks and hope you feel better soon!

Ellen and Linda, here is a hug you two cuties!

Happy New Year dearest friends, you all ROCK!!!!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new years eve all!

I couldn''t even tell you all the goofy things I''ve eaten today, and my workout consisted of climbing in and out of about a zillion cars--but we finally bought one!!! Yesterday we decide that push had come to shove and we had to buy a car TODAY. It had *nothing* to do with all those alleged month end/year end deals that you can get with people trying to meet their quotas, and *everything* to do with the fact that I might never have another full day off again LOL. We set out thinking Honda Accord or Civic* or Toyota Camary or Corolla* (I had NO IDEA how small those cars are!) and we ended up with... an Acura TSX. Don''t ask.
20.gif
We couldn''t even fully look the thing over it was snowing so hard and piling up like crazy, but since there is a five day money back policy we went with it. I''m sure I''ll be second guessing myself forever--wait; did we look at the ... ?

Anyway, the HH is making pizza and then we''re going to one of my client''s homes for drinks and to ring in the new year. Not too exciting but more than what we usually do.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe NYE and I''ll see you all tomorrow!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Years Eve.

This needs to be short, but I couldn''t let the evening go by without wishing all my friends here a happy safe New Year! We''ve had a quite low key evening and maybe it''s been just a bit too low key. Next year, we''ll probably do something a bit more exciting.

Lorelei, thank you AS ALWAYS for getting the new thread for the New Year off on such a positive note!! What would do without you?

TO EVERYONE HERE, you mean so much to me and your thoughtfullness through all my ups and downs, through the move to Raleigh and then from the move from Raleigh back home and all the encouragement and advice you offer on my quest for a healthier, fitter Rod, means more to me than you can possibly imagine.

So, while I''m not addressing anyone individually, you all are receiving HUGE CYBER-HUGS from your pal Rod. I hope the New Year brings you nothing but health, happiness and prosperity!

Thanks for being such good friends!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year!

DH and I had a nice night with neighbors, then checked out the city block party six blocks away. We summed it up as "South American football stadium/religious pilgrimage stampede material," except in this case it was hipster 20 year olds trying to muscle their way past you. At least they tend to be skinny wimps if you have to plow them aside! So we escaped the madness, celebrated the actual moment, and ran home.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Year’s Eve! I hope every one has a safe and fun evening. Tomorrow begins a new year full of hope and promise. I am anxious to see it unfold and want you all to know you’ve been a big help to me in the recent months encouraging me and inspiring me to continue on my slow but steady journey. I think if we could all meet we’d talk in to the wee hours of the morning like we are old best friends. I wish for you all the best in the New Year.
Hubby picked up the snacks for tonight; all salty and fattening. Rats. I naturally indulged in some but I won’t weigh until Wednesday morning. We also had some Asti Spumanti – my favorite champagne. Mmmm.
PhoenixGirl, good idea keeping the lines of communication open with your friend.
Lorelei, so true that many cookies aren’t worth the calories. I love chocolate but keep it to a minimal amount so I can have some without adding too many calories for the day. Thank you for the congratulations.
Tdiddy, sorry to hear your asthma flared up but good for you saving the clubhouse. Who knows what would have happened if you hadn’t called the fire department.
Steph, good idea to not focus on weight so much; I am thinking I will be less obsessive about weighing in 2008 maybe just weigh once or twice a week. Yeah for eating well for 2 days.
Appletini, sorry you had a hangover. Tomorrow is not only another day but a new year; yeah! Thanks for the congrats on my weight loss. I didn’t do myself any favors tonight but at least the holidays are OVER now.
Linda, I think a toast with Nyquil would be good for your bronchitis or at least help you sleep. I hope you get better soon. Did you try the Vicks trick? Did it help?
Ellen, Happy New Year to you as well.
Kimi, I am glad you are a little better today. I hope you feel great again soon. I agree this thread has a wonderful group of people who have been a great influence on me.
Skippy, I was very happy to see you had such a nice time shopping with your sister today. Have fun with your cute nephew tomorrow. My mom is better today but not well. She is going to the doctor Wednesday. Thanks for the congratulations.
DeeJay, enjoy your new car. We looked at the Acura’s and really liked them. I’d shop fast with snow piling up too.
Rod, thank you for the great wish for 2008. Health, happiness and prosperity sounds like a great plan for new year.

I’ll check in again next year.
36.gif

Marcy

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Marcy just remember you need to reward yourself every once in awhile. Just remember moderation is the key.

Happy New Year everyone! I left my workout bag at work so it will be waiting for me on Wed, however if I''m feeling up to it tomorrow I might go to the 4:30pm bikram yoga...I''ve also been fighting off a cold, so its all tbd, but if I do go it will be a great way to start the new year.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2007 6:16:40 AM
Author: Lorelei

Just adding PhoenixGirl''s post to this week''s thread.

P: 12/31/2007 1:07:37 AM

phoenixgirl

OK, it''s officiallly the 31st here on the East Coast so I know this thread will be caput soon, but I was lying in bed composing this message in my head so I decided to hop out and put the pen to the paper, so to speak. I''ll repost on the new thread if it seems this gets overlooked.

Marcyc, your look back a year ago is so inspirational. No Christmas present could compare with what you''ve accomplished (except new clothes for a new body are always appreciated ). I love the new collage!

SDL, welcome and kudos to you for making a healthy start to the new year.

Mara, I like the idea of intuitive eating. I think that as long as you''re not letting your blood sugar go haywire, thus making you think your body is telling you to shovel crap into your mouth all the time, then you should trust your body when you have that sweet or salty or what have you craving.

Monarch, I hope your DH feels better now!

Rod, I love hearing your mouth-watering descriptions of the great food you eat, except for when it causes me hunger.

TanDogMom, ew, onion rings on the taco?

Jas, I am very impressed at 3 hours on the bike. You go girl!

Deejay, good work on going to the gym so much!

Steph, with your detox plan I''m sure the 7 lbs. will be history soon.

Skippy, I''m so sorry to hear about your aunt and the other deaths in your family this year. Please take time for yourself and know that I''m thinking about you.

Kimberly, I hope you feel better soon!

OK, whew, that''s what I get for being away from here for so long.

I seem to have done ok this holiday. I returned home today after being away for 10 days, and haven''t gained any weight. I did the Firm 3 x while I was gone (plus today), and I jogged twice. Not as much exercise as I''d normally like to get, but I was in DisneyWorld for 2 nights as well and didn''t exercise there. I never took an escalator or people-mover when possible, which helped keep me energized. My feet did hurt at the end of the day after standing in line and walking all day (now I understand why so many out-of-shape people who don''t appear to use wheelchairs normally rent those scooters at DW), but I definitely felt better than I did when I went as a teenager.

Food-wise, well, it wasn''t the best of times, but it wasn''t the worst of times. I really only regretted a piece of grocery-store freezer section pumpkin pie because I ate it just because it was handed to me. I didn''t regret the many yummy chocolates, or the unusual number of steaks, or the yummy turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy, or the chocolates . . . did I mention the chocolates? I didn''t regret those things because I chose to eat them when I was hungry, and I ate a reasonable amount, and relatively speaking I made healthy choices for the most part. But I really regretted that pie because I didn''t want it, and it was kind of gross, so it was just extra calories for no reason.

Enough about me, on to the real reason I came on here:

Anyway, here''s why I popped out of bed 25 minutes ago. I saw a childhood friend over the holiday. When we hit puberty, she definitely gained some flab, but in a Renoir kind of way . . . curvy is the right word, I guess. In college she began losing weight (45 pounds total to date). Later she was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune disease. She and her family members are all very smart health professionals, so she has a rational understanding of what she is doing to her body.

We got to talking about how we hoped we didn''t gain holiday weight and what workouts we liked to do. Then she just kept talking . . . about how she hasn''t gotten her period in months, and how her BMI is below normal (something below 18.5) and her family wants her to gain five pounds, and how she got sick last month and lost all her muscle so now her bones stick out of her chest. Whereas I gained 25 pounds and still didn''t fill out my A cup bra, she definitely used to be endowed and now looks like me. Before I realized that she might have a problem I mentioned that my general approach is to eat strictly during the day, maybe 1000 to 1200 calories before dinner, so I can just eat whatever I want for dinner, maybe another 1000 calories with wine and dessert. She said, oh, she realized that she sometimes ''accidentally'' only ate 1000 calories in a day, and I shared my genuine reaction: ''On no! That''s horrible!''

The worst part was when she told me about a friend at work. I told her that not getting her period was ''biofeedback'' that she isn''t eating enough, and she said she knew that, but it was really hard because she had a friend at work who is/was anorexic and is underweight again after having kids. Her friend eats only 600 calories a day!!! and will put a chocolate in her mouth only to spit it out (to which my friend replied that your saliva has already broken down some of the chocolate, implying that her friend should beware of this accidental calorie ingestion). She said that this friend made her feel like she had to be ''psycho'' too and egged her on to eat as little as possible and that she can''t help counting calories and predeterming her portions all the time. Even after she said she was bony and underweight, she stressed that she would be sure to gain muscle, not fat.

So I''ve been trying to figure out what I can/should do. I know that I''m not responsible for her choices and that I''m not the only one aware of her problem, but I feel that there must be a reason she was so eager to confide in me, even when I expressed shock and horror at what she was telling me.

The last thing I wonder about is the role my friend''s disease might play in all of this. We haven''t been in touch that much since her diagnosis, so I''m not too sure how much it affects her, but I wonder if she is trying to control her body in this way since it might seem out of control in others. But the sad irony is that she needs to be eating a good diet all the more to keep herself healthy.

So I know there''s not much I can do as a once-a-year friend, but I wanted to share this story because it reminded me that health is why we''re here. This is a workout thread, where we emphasize building muscle and keeping our bodies fit and agile. It''s easy to become consumed by numbers, but just as we are avoiding the trap of being sedentary and eating large quantities of crap, so too must we avoid the trap of becoming obsessive-compulsive about eating and exercising.

And if anyone has any experience dealing with eating disorders and insight on how I can be a good friend, that would be great. My friend was so eager to share her story, and I feel like there must be a reason why.

Aw, Phoenix, I''m sorry to hear your friend is dealing with an ed. I have some firsthand experience with ED myself and without getting into crazy detail for the good of this thread/WWT in general, I have to say that the best advice I can give is for you to get educated yourself (if you''re that concerned) about EDs. then just talk to your friend and listen...you are right thinking that she is divulging personal info to you for a reason. It''s like an addict''s cry for help, honestly. She is likely worried about her situation and needs someone to call her out on it, but I caution you that if and when you do call her out on it, she''s not going to be happy with you and may withdraw from you altogether. Is there anyone else in her life you are close to? Someone who also knows what''s going on with her and with whom you could work with to start to get help for this friend of yours?

Ahhh...sticky situation. These women''s stories you''re relating are all too familiar. 1000 calories, 600 calories...to so many women who''ve never been diagnosed, these seem like great numbers! Sad, but true. Many anorexics would even consider those numbers too high and would reject those numbers for themselves, seeking daily caloric intakes of much lower numbers, some would say over 100 calories taken in was too many... these people are not on a journey to fitness or thinness, they''re on a personal journey to nothingness. There honestly is not one thing you could say or relate to them that would make sense or help them change their ways. I think just by being there as a listening, non-judgemental ear, you will help them, should they choose to change their unhealthy ways.

I''m sort of babbling here...but if you really care about this friend of yours, imo you need to find a way to get in contact with a family member of hers and look into ways to support her (not enable her) in getting well. Get educated, and look into what kind of help is available in your area...I''m sorry I''m not much more help. This is a tough disease because it''s an addiction like no other: with drugs, an addict can remove themselves from the drug/situation/etc. With anorexia/bulimia/etc., the "drug", i.e. "food" is always around, always available, and the "addict" has to learn how to live with it and deal with it on a normal basis just like everyone else does. It''s tough! My heart goes out to you, and I applaud you for being the kind of friend who cares enough to want to help someone with this issue. You are a good person, and in the end I''m sure your friend will thank you though she might seem realllly upset with you for saying anything (if you choose to) at first. Any other questions you have, I''m here, if you should need to ask.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hello lovely WWTers!! just a quick check in before bed from Mendocino where we can hear the waves crashing outside our window...we're having a wonderful time...Happy New Year!! we just got back from downtown where we had a seriously amazing dinner (with a filet mignon that seriously was melting in my mouth like butter!!!) with our friends, and then found one of the two open bars in the sleepy town and crowded around with all sorts of interesting types and chimed in the new year! we'll drive home tomorrow but it's been nice to get away and we caught some amazing sunsets the last two nights. anyway, have not really read any posts, will catch up when we return but just wanted to say Happy New Year to you all. enjoy the day off tomorrow!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Happy 2008 WWT friends. Just a quick note to say thank you to each and every one of you for welcoming me into your group this year with open arms. I love all the support and encouragement that is here. As the new year is getting started, I still have the goal of losing those last 10 pounds, but more than that I just want to keep up with my healthy lifestyle and I know if I do that, my weight will settle into what it is supposed to be at. I am hoping to push myself a little harder because Adam and I have decided to try for baby #2 in the summer after a trip we have planned. That will put Andrew and the new baby at least 4 years apart. I was overweight for the first 2 years of Andrew''s life, and I cannot imagine doing that again with the second baby. I love being active with Andrew now and taking him to the park and to play soccer. There is no way I will ever let myself get unhealthy again....I would just miss out on too much. Anyway, hope everyone had a great time last night and here''s to a Healhty,Happy New Year to you all!

Skippy, I will have to check into Telluride....saw in US Weekly that is where Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes go for the holidays...maybe we will bump into them while we''re there. Hehehe. Do you know how much longer that sale on the Sharper Image US is going on? I really need to run up to the mall and get one while they are on sale, but the closest one is about 45 mins. away.

DeeJay, congrats on the new car! I got a new Acura right out of high school and drove it until last year, so 10 years without EVER having 1 problem with it. I would recommend Acura''s to anybody I know, so good choice!

Rod, Happy New Year to you to and hope you had a great night!

Phoenix, sounds like you had a good night!

Marcy, don''t be hard on yourself about the snacks, you will be back into your normal routine soon.

Apple, hope you feel better!

Monnie, happy new year and great advice for the phoneix. Unfortunately, as a cheerleader in high school, I was witness to several girls with eating disorders and came very close to dealing with it myself after getting into a relationship with a not so nice football player who said he thought I should lose a few pounds....um yeah, I was a size 2! There are so many women that deal with eating disorders and I think you are right that she needs a family member to confront her. My mom was the one that was concerned about me and I really do value her opinion, so I took a hard look and decided I was not healthy by skipping meals, etc. and got healthier before it got out of hand....I can''t imagine how hard it is when you are fully into the disorder with such a skewed body image.

Mara, sounds like you had a fab. time on your trip. Happy New Year!

golden

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone!! HAPPY NEW YEAR, I hope everyone has a healthy and very happy 2008!!

I am not completely new to these boards, but I am new to this thread. I am usually on the rocky talky or show me the ring threads haha (not married, not even engaged yet)

I am starting WW (points) today. I am doing it on my own, not joining or going to meetings. I would like to lose 10lbs. I am doing WW to help with the healthy eating as I am a big snacker and don''t eat healthy foods. I also think the points will help keep me in line.

I was hoping to get on the treadmill today, but I have an awful cold as of yesterday and I doubt I will be able to get on the treadmill.

Anyway, I look forward to chit chatting!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Golden!

Congrats on the new car, DeeJay! I hope you like it today.

Sounds like you''ve had a great vacation, Mara. How fun! I haven''t been to the northern CA coast in quite some time. It''s so beautiful.

Still sick, nothing exciting to report. We had roasted filet, potatoes and peas for dinner. It was yummy.

Have a great New Years Day, all!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimi get better and Appltini too! Hope you slept well!

Rod, PG, Golden, Mara and Monarch Happy New Year!

Steph, I put a note for you in the Sonic thread. I noticed that you and Po had almost the same exact NY's resolutions, interesting. heheee I have been to Telluride but I never noticed Katie or Tom. hehee

Marcy, glad your mom was okay and that she is going to be checked.

DeeJay, whooo hoooo for a new car, I love the Acura. My friend has the same model and she loves it and it has been reliable!
I am happy for 2008 and a healthy New Year! Have a great day all you cutie pies
35.gif

p.s. here is a hug back ((Rod))

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Golden, good luck with weight watchers, it''s a great program!

I hope that everyone had a great new year''s eve. My husband and I are dorky... we had to work late and got done at 6 pm so we decided to do a... movie marathon! Well I doubt seeing two movies in a row is quite a movie marathon, but it''s more than I''ve ever seen at one time. We saw The Kite Runner (loved the book) and Juno which was hilarious. Instead of making tons of snacks and having champagne at home, I had a salad from Chick-Fil-A and we kissed at midnight without the bubbly
1.gif

My mother-in-law bought me a Polar heart rate monitor for Christmas that I wanted, and it has been so enlightening. Here is how I would do cardio before:

1. Get on the elliptical, look around me to see how fast everyone is going
2. Go the speed everyone is going
3. Feel exhausted/nauseous and have to stop
4. Be disappointed that the machine said I burned 75 calories
5. Not go back for weeks

OK but really, that was my routine! With my heart rate monitor I discovered that a much slower pace was getting my heart rate up where it should be, because I''m out of shape. So using the monitor I was able to stay within my range (127 - 167 bpm), and over 30 minutes I did NOT feel wiped out, my average heart rate was 155, and I was able to burn 376 calories. Not discouraging at all! I always had just thought that exercise was "too hard for me" but really I was doing more than my body could handle. I guess it''s important to remember that everyone is at a different fitness level, and that you have to do what''s right for your body, not mimic someone else''s pace!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Golden!! I hope you feel better soon, I feel for you as I had a dreadful cold a couple of weeks ago and didn''t feel like treddying either, but I am now back to it with gusto!

Ellen - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU SWEET FRIEND!!!

Kimmy and Linda, I hope you both feel better soon
35.gif

Good to see ya Dee!

Hey Skippers, Steph, Monnie, Marcy, and Apple
35.gif

Hi to my pie pal Sir Rod!

Mara, sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

Hiya Lindsey!

I did another 50 mins last night, so on a roll at the moment! Off topic, but I was washing the Beemer as it has it''s annual safety inspection looming, as I did so, there was a robin sitting on the wall watching me and singing his heart out. A nice reminder on the first day of the year that Spring isn''t far away!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year to all of my special friends here.

Well Rick and I fell asleep early last night, so we had a very boring evening. HA!!

I still am sick with this crappy bronchitis and I am getting soooooooooooo tired of it. I have a doctor''s appointment on Thursday morning. Hope she will give me some antibiotics this time.

Marcy: I haven''t tried the Vicks, I should though.

Kimmy: I hope you feel better soon sweetie.

Lorelei: Thank you for the get well wishes.

Steph: A new baby would be wonderful. How I love new babies.
30.gif

Rod: Sending a big hug back to you

Everyone else: Much love and a very happy New Year to you all.

Love, Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I must be nuts!!!
19.gif
hehee We just got back from a 40 min walk in 29 degree weather; I am defrosting again.
2.gif
I need to take a quick shower and head over the my nephew's birthday party. I got him a couple of adorable elmo outfits since he loves Elmo and a big box of legos. That child I think will be an engineer because he loves building stuff. hehee Our house is nice an clean and all signs of Christmas trees, nic naks are put away, yay for the Skippers household. I am a little sad because sweet DH goes back to work tomorrow; I loved having him around. hehee

Oh yay, before I forget I got one of those ultrasonics from Sharper Image and put my ring, my band, hubby's band and my diamond pendant in and everything came out sparklie clean. I thought those things were seriously overrated but Boy was I Wrong! Have a Happy and Blessed New Year and catch you cuties tomorrow
2.gif

Yay for the workout Lorelei!

Linda, I love vicks for chest colds; I hope you feel better, how awful. Hugs to feel better!

Hey Lindsay good to see you!

Steph, the catalog says while supplies last, hth.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy New Year! 2008, a great year for me to work on the new, improved but smaller Marcy! I was minus 139 pounds this morning but since it’s not at my normal time I’ll see what the old scale says tomorrow. Yeah for drinking lots of water last night with my salty snacks.
I made us French toast for breakfast. I had 2 oz of bread with lite syrup for mine. For lunch DH cooked hamburgers on the grill and I made some homemade scalloped potatoes. I also fixed us a salad. I don’t know what I will make for supper but I am leaning towards fruit and cottage cheese for me and letting my husband graze on leftovers.
Appletini, I hope you get over your cold real soon and make it to yoga tomorrow. I do have treats now and then with portion control. I don’t think I could do so well without them.
Monnie, your words about ED really hit home with me. I was at the other extreme of anorexia and some of the things you said reminded me of some of my previous behavior and thoughts. Wow, am I glad I woke up! I hope you are over your cold and feeling better.
Mara, I am glad to hear you are having a wonderful time with waves crashing outside your window, a wonderful dinner and beautiful sunsets. Aw, that is living!
Steph, you’ll love the SI cleaner. I use mine a lot. I am glad you are on this thread and yeah for being active and busy with Andrew. I know you both enjoy every minute of it. You’ll loose your 10 pounds this year no problem and planning for a new baby will be exciting for you.
Welcome Golden, I hope your cold gets better. My mom does WW points and really does well with it.
Kimi, I hate to hear you are still feeling sick. I sure hope you get well soon.
Skippy, I am getting cold just thinking about walking in 29 degree weather. You are very dedicated to walking. Yeah! Have a blast with your nephew at his birthday party. Things do come of the SI very sparkly - something I love to see.
Lindsey, we like to watch movies at home too. Good idea to use the heart monitor to determine the correct and safe amount of exercise for you.
Lorelei, I wish someone would wash my car; it’s absolutely filthy with all the snow here. Enjoy your shining beauty for me. How wonderful to have a robin provide background music for you. Spring is only about 82 days away. I’m glad because I am setting here with my trusty fleece blanket on my lap trying to warm up.
Linda, I feel so bad for you; I hope the doctor can give you something to help you get better.
Have a great evening!
Marcy

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Monarch, thanks for the advice. I liked your comment about how it is a path to nothingness. I totally understand that it's not about weight loss, that it's some kind of drive to eat as little as possible just for its own sake. And of course that it involves a skewed view of one's own body.

Golden, so sorry to hear about your cold! But it will pass soon; you have a whole new year ahead of you. I know you can do it!

Lindsey, I have had a similar experience without the heart rate monitor. Despite being in fairly good shape, I have just started jogging in the last few months, and I just don't have the jogging bone! I see people who don't exercise and are overweight, and then they'll run a 10k or something, and I'm thinking, "Why can't I run 5k?" I was really pushing myself too hard, trying to run 8 minute miles. Then I ran a ridiculously slow pace with my dad, a 13 minute mile, and I realized I could run forever at that pace and just needed to slow down. I'm now at a 9 to 9.5 minute mile, and it's still hard, but I don't burn out after 2 miles. I think if I slowed down to a 10 minute mile, I could break that 4 mile mark. That's my new goal. DH keeps talking about this 10k in April that we should run together. I'm thinking about it; I'm not really a "look at me!" person, so the thought of a huge crowd all looking at me run really isn't a motivator. But having a goal and doing something with DH would be fun, so we'll see.

Skippy, that's so great that you don't let the cold weather keep you down!

An hour ago my husband was cooking some pasta and I was typing up a worksheet for one of my classes tomorrow. My husband kept saying, "How many calories are in beer? . . . How many calories are in a clementine? . . ." He wants to lose 9 pounds by the end of February, so I signed him up for SparkPeople. I plugged in his stats to a bunch of different calories counters. His calorie needs ranged from 2800 to 3800 a day (he cycles as a hobby and can burn 1000-1500 calories in one ride, and does that at least two days a week). Sparkpeople was on the lower end, so that's his goal (minus 500 calories for weight loss). He also has a heart rate monitor so he'll be able to track things very scientifically. My basic approach has been to eat better and stop when I'm full, but not to really count my calories in or out, so it's funny to me that my husband will be the one obsessing about the 24 calories in the clementine he ate.
1.gif

I've worked out three days in a row now, which after sporadic working out for the last two weeks is a nice change. I didn't quite make my goal of 4 miles today -- was at about 3 and 2/3 -- because of my allergies. My nose just runs like crazy when I run, and I have to breathe out of my mouth, which often leads to a side stitch. Does anyone have any advice? I think if I slow down to a 10 min. mile I could probably go to 5 miles, which is my new goal. Again, it's hard to do that on a work day because if I leave a little early (shhh) and rush home, I can get on the track at 4:20. The sun is pretty much gone by 5, so I don't really have time to run 5 miles at 10 minutes a mile. I'll need to wait until a weekend to give it a try.

I thought I wouldn't be able to run during the winter because of the weather, but I've discovered that I generate heat like nobody's business. Somebody pointed out that people of northern European ancestry like me don't handle heat well and would need to wear less than people from more equatorial backgrounds. But this doesn't explain why people of all races are bundled up in HATS! and MITTENS! and I am wearing a teeshirt and shorts and am a bit warm! It was in the 50's today, and this man was wearing mittens while exercising! My rule of thumb is to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it is, so in the 50's I wear a tee shirt and shorts, in the 40's I wear a long sleeve tee shirt and shorts or pants, and in the 30's I'll put a running jacket over my teeshirt and definitely wear pants, and I'll put a headband over my ears. In the 20's I think I'd just need to wear a winter hat and gloves.

I really don't know if I am going to be able to run in the summer (summer in Richmond is humid and usually breaks 100 once or twice). I'm going to need to wake up early and go out before the sun rises if I do it at all. I may need to join the gym in the summer, which is the opposite of what most people do. A lot of my husband's cycling friends join the gym just in the winter.

My body's changed a little bit more recently. For a few months my weight has been between 113.5 and 117, but I haven't seen 116 or 117 in a while, and yesterday I bought my first pair of 0P pants at Ann Taylor Loft. My 2P pants are definitely loosish but I can wear them, especially since I am not trying to wear tight pants in front of my teenaged students! My thighs are a little smaller than they were a month or two ago, now at 21.25 (right) and 20.67 (left). So I've lost 3 inches in each thigh! That's the change I notice the most because I can recall the sensation of them between my hands (jiggle versus, ooh, muscle).

So 2008 should be a good year! DH and I will continue working out and eating well and will have fun with the extra energy that we have.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy 2008!!!

I actually got up this morning and went to the gym today! 65 mins on the elliptical. Then we went to our friend's annual new years day black tie brunch and I am just STUFFED. It is always a weird random array of food, and this year was no exception. Between all the appetizer type things and desserts and SO much champagne I really want to take a nap but I'm going to try to get a little more work done instead.

The HH drove his new car today and he's just as happy as a clam. It's so strange to me to be "down low" after driving around in the Lexus SUV for so long. And we still can't fully see what the thing looks like either becuase it's still snowing here. Hopefully it will stop soon and we can see what we actually bought, LOL.

Lorelei, thank you for starting our first thread of the year, and all of the other ones that you've so kindly taken on. We really appreciate you every single week!

Jackie, I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip once you get back!

tiddy, what a crazy story! I'm glad you're OK and there was no major real fire.

Steph, thanks for the reassuring words about the Acura. We didn't even take the Consumer Reports info on them becuase we were so convinced that we were getting a Honda or a Toyota, so I'm VERY glad to hear you were trouble free to 10 years!

appletini, hope you beat that cold and feel better.

Kimi, hope you are feeling better and that you and John had a wonderful NYE.

Stephi, LOL on the massage chairs! Whenever we go to Sharper Image the HH plants himself there and is like, oh, go 'head and take as much time as you want looking around!

Rod, happy new year to you and Charlie!!! Even though it was low key, I hope you had a wonderful evening and enjoyed ringing in 2008!

Monnie, even though I know it must be tough for you to post about, I think it's so wonderful and giving that you are willing to touch on your own experience for Phoenix's benefit and others.

Marcy, mmmmmm, french toast sounds good right now!

Golden, welcome! I think you'll find this to be a very uplifting and motivating thread. Those 10 lbs will drop off in no time!

Lindsey, it's so funny that you look around to see what everyone else is doing on the machines. Today I was beside someone on the elliptical who was just goining like MAD. I snuck a peek at her cals/min and she was burning LESS than I was.
33.gif
The only think I can think of is that she had the resistance a lot lower than I did, but she was really going at it!

Linda, hope your doc takes care of your bronchitis and you get on the mend ASAP.

Mara, I hope you and Greg have a wonderful time in Mendocino!

Phoenix, that's so funny about your husband asking you for the cals in certain things! If there's ever anything you can't find on sparkpeople try calorieking.com. I like their site too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results