shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 29th Jan till 4th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I am STILL craving carrot cake
emotion-39.gif
, if anyone has a healthier version would they mind posting it in the healthy recipes thread pretty please????
12.gif
17.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
No carrot cake recipe for u lorelei, but your avatar cracks me up
9.gif

I did baked a banana bread today, and it''s really yummy, but I am going to try and substitute healthier ingredients instead of all the oil and sugar the original recipe had called for and then bake it again to see if it taste just as good. if it does, I will post the recipe!

katebar - *nudge nudge* You must have picked your new rings up today! Hurry and show us some handshots!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2007 5:05:30 AM
Author: JadeLeaves
No carrot cake recipe for u lorelei, but your avatar cracks me up
9.gif

I did baked a banana bread today, and it's really yummy, but I am going to try and substitute healthier ingredients instead of all the oil and sugar the original recipe had called for and then bake it again to see if it taste just as good. if it does, I will post the recipe!

katebar - *nudge nudge* You must have picked your new rings up today! Hurry and show us some handshots!
Glad you like it! I thought it would be appreciated here so I have given chickie a rest as no one seemed to like her much...
15.gif

OMG - BANANA BREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif

I love your avatar too - the Button collage is too cute!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 5:09:55 AM
Author: Lorelei

Glad you like it! I thought it would be appreciated here so I have given chickie a rest as no one seemed to like her much...
15.gif

OMG - BANANA BREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif

I love your avatar too - the Button collage is too cute!
I liked your chickie!
28.gif

Your new one reminds me of the cat I grew up with, she liked to do that, on your lap.
6.gif

Welcome Maise!! You will find lots of encouraging words here, and these people tend to stick in your head after awhile, makes it more difficult to eat the bad stuff.
11.gif

I am not going by the scale (I'm not even sure how accurate it is), but my pants, and some other unmentionables are starting to fit a bit looser, so I'm getting there. It's always the hardest right before you begin to see results. So this has really psyched me up to carry on. That, and I've started dreaming about what to wear to this fancy shindig.
31.gif

Congrats to all on your hard work and weightloss!!
emotion-19.gif

Oh, and Rod, we'll be good from now on. Kill joy.
25.gif
9.gif

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
oh my goodness lorelei, where DO you get your avatars (especially the dancing & kneading kitties!!!!)
36.gif
I love them!

Aurelia

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2007 5:01:50 AM
emotion-39.gif
, if anyone has a healthier version would they mind posting it in the healthy recipes thread pretty please????
12.gif
17.gif

No carrot cake recipe, but when the happy hubby made the pumpkin muffins I was thinking they would be good with some shreaded carrots and walnuts in them. Then whip up some fat free cream cheese with spelnda for icing and VOILA! (Well, OK, probably not really, but I tried... )

Today is going to be a challange. I''m going out to lunch at a Thai place with an old colleague and to one of my favorite Italian places with the happy hubby for dinner, and then a party afterwards. I''ve been SO GOOD this week and I''m going to try to be reasonable but not crazed over what I consume. And this weekend the HH will probably cook both nights so that will be good too.

Rod, you employee sounds like an interesting project. If there any chance to get him to work with a trainer for a few sessions in the beginning? Having a commitment in terms of someone expecting him to show up, not to mention the outlay of $ might encourage him.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
i just want all you cake mongers to know that all this talk has really messed me up. i was like "how can i get some carrot cake??" (after breakfast) and i went down to starbucks. i couldn''t actually do it, but i did leave with a fancy drink that has a little over 200 calories, and i didn''t adjust the rest of the day''s meals to compensate. so i finished yesterday at right around 1850 calories, but this is nothing new. 1600 would have been something new. i''ll try again for that today.

jade, that spreadsheet didn''t upload, but it''s okay. your description of it will help my fi put one together for me.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wait--I just had an idea! Weight Watchers has little mini carrot cakes (when I say "mini" I mean about the size of a Zinger or a HoHo). I don't know what the calorie count is on them, but they only translate to 1 WW point each so they can't be *that* bad. Most of our local grocery stores carry the WW cakes so hopefully they are pretty prevalent all over.

Sorry for doing this to you all!!!

But look on the bright side, at least we're not all running around craving ***lemon pie***!
31.gif

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t been on here much this week thanks to 13 hour days and getting home laaate! But I just want to say that I have been really good with my food intake (less great with getting to the gym... when you work 7am to 8pm you don''t really feel like heading to the gym when you get home. But today my schedule is super easy, and then I have the weekend. My parents are visiting tomorrow so I doubt tomorrow will hold any gym time for me. Tonight when I get home from work I''ll be doing a full house cleaning, so there''s a workout. Sunday I think hubby and I will be back to the gym.

I hope everyone is having a great week!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All.

Had a good dinner last night, stuck to about 1700 calories for the day, which is awesome. I have two more 500 calorie workouts to get in this week, not sure if I''ll do one today, but will do them for sure!

Mara: I hope you aren''t getting sick and am glad you got back to the gym and lost a few of those stupid lbs.!!

DeeJay: I''m sure you''ll do just fine. Mara posted an article about what to eat at Thai restaurants a bit ago, maybe that would help. And splurging a bit is never a bad thing.

Lorelei: Your avatar made my stomach turn when I first saw it because it looked like the kitty was clawing someone''s leg, then I made out a cushion and it''s pretty darn funny. But I, too, liked the chicken. There''s a chicken that''s been named Freddie who has taken up residence at my MILs board and care faclility. Two days ago, when we pulled up Freddie had plopped himself down in the entryway to the laundry room to warm himself up. They placed one of the residents birds outside yesterday and Freddie was trying to eat its food and they pecked at each other a bit, it was quite funny.

I think that what I love so much about the WWT thread as that we all love good food and have found ways of incorporating it into our lives without going crazy. So I say let the cake talk continue! (It''s a good thing I don''t love cake! tee hee hee)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well my lunch date just got cancelled, but fortunately I have a couple of extra cans of Progresso soup stashed in my desk for situations like this. I really want a piece of Cosi bread to go with my chicken noodle soup though--does anyone know if they'll just sell a piece of bread or do you have to get it with something?

ETA - Yikes! Never mind. I just looked it up and it's 265 cals for a piece of bread. I don't it that badly, LOL.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is cosi bread? and yes bread has a ton of cals. but it's yummy.

jade congrats on the 8lb loss, you go girl. also congrats ellen on loose pants! hang in there lindsey...! welcome miss maisie!

lorelei re a healthy carrot cake, you should check out that joy of baking site i posted previously, they had carrot muffins on there that looked yummy. you can sub applesace for the oil or put buttermilk in for the oil probably as well, also you can use splenda or sub sugars for brown and white sugar (takes a huge amount of cals off) and also you can use white whole wheat flour instead of regular to at least give them more nutritional value.

but honestly for something like that i would probably just say 'mom make yours' then i'd go over and eat a decadent piece of it (and bring one home for G) then that'd be it. hehee. i don't know that i want modify something i love because having it at home would probably just encourage me to eat more! that's my personality though.
3.gif

so last nite after dinner we had a snack, greg had a light n fit yogurt (don't ask he thought it looked yummy and wanted one) and we shared a biscotti, i ate about 1/4 and he ate the rest and i had a 10 cal jello cup. so overall a good day even with dim sum. from my estimates i was probably just about 100 cals over my typical daily range.

this morning i decided to try the TJ's frozen steel cut oatmeal. it's 2 packs in one big package and they are like 2 big brick/cubes of oatmeal. so you just unpackage one and put it in a bowl then microwave. interesting....the results are very yummy and do taste like the steel cut oatmeal i had last time i made it from scratch and it only takes 5 minutes from start to finish to cook it. it already has some brown sugar and maple syrup added in and it's a fair amount of oatmeal (way more than one instant oatmeal packet, like double the size) and 150 cals and 2.5g of fat and like 5g of fiber and 5g of protein i think. i added in 1/2 tablespoon of fresh brown sugar just to give it a bit more flavor and it's really yummy. definitely doing this one again.

last nite i woke up and my throat was sore-ish again, ugh!! so this morning i drank another emergenC and last nite i took some echinacea. i am not keen on drinking the emergenC's with my stomach all beat up because i'm sure it does not like the 1000 mg of vit-c in these things but i really DO NOT need to get sick and these seem to keep the bug away typically if i consistently take them. with everyone sick at work back and forth, i don't want to get it!

on a really funny note, i got a thing from kaiser in the mail asking me to rate that useless doctor that diagnosed me with IBS...bwahhahaaa. oh that'll be a fun 5 minutes. too bad the worst rating is 'poor' and not 'entirely useless to me'....but i'll take what i can get. i understand that she was just giving her best guess but hello i was asking her things that should have dinged off a bell...whereas with my other doctor, she got it right away after 2 minutes of talking to me. the first doctor was youngish, aka late 20s. so maybe it's an age and experience thing but still. totally wasn't listening to me and horribly off diagnosis. who knows what i'd be feeling like if i was still 'assuming' i had IBS.

anyway, it's friday!! whee!! greg wants to go to this yummy hawaiian bar/lounge place tonite where they have some good food things (and some odd things), we'll probably do one or two apps (ahi poke and crab cakes are our two pleasures!) and then i'll get a big salad...as last time i tried the lobster melt but it was on white mushy bread and it was pretty layered with cheese and mayo and kind of not that tasty. or if they have a seared tuna i might get that. we love tuna at hawaiian places..the poke is typically SO YUMMY. and healthy. they also have tasty fruity drinks but i won't be drinking as alcohol might irritate my stomach. i've decided to save a mini drinking splurge for this wkd when we go to the superbowl party and my friend is making white fruity sangria which is one of my absolute favorites.

have a great day everyone! and stay away from the CAKE out there.
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Happy Friday ya''ll!

We had quite a dump of snow yesterday, so I incorporated shovelling into my exercise routine (45 minutes shovelling heavy snow, plus 45 minutes bike and aerobics with weightsi). Naturally, today, I have sore lats, so I took it easy shovelling (again) today, and have dispensed with the rest of my routine. I probably shouldn''t skip the rest, b/c this w/e will be an eat fest.

We have dinner planned out at this fab restaurant in town with our good pals (belated BD and early VD); I look forward to the wine, great food and superior company. Not sure if we''llhave Sushi from our fav local place tonight or I''ll cook. But for Superbowl, my son insisted on cheesy bites pizza from Pizza Hut and I''ll make nachos. I really cannot eat that pizza, so I''ll have one cheesy bite and that is about it. BUt I intend to gorge on the nacho''s with gaucamole, ceviche and salsa purchased from this excellent Mexican deli near by. mmmmm Suffice it to say, if I have not already gained back those few pounds lost in Dec, I will have by weeks end!

Keep well everyone!

cheers--Sharon

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 10:24:11 AM
Author: *Lindsey*
I haven''t been on here much this week thanks to 13 hour days and getting home laaate! But I just want to say that I have been really good with my food intake (less great with getting to the gym... when you work 7am to 8pm you don''t really feel like heading to the gym when you get home.
I''m having the same kind of week. The stress is just too much! I''m doing great on food, not so much on exercise. I did manage to lose two pounds this week though.... didn''t show up until today. I''m still counting them!

We''re going to have a rough weekend... wine and cheese party on Saturday, brunch and superbowl on sunday. I will, however, be cleaning my entire house tomorrow so I imagine that will burn some major calories!!!

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
congrats to all on the good work! i'm having the same sort of week as lindsey and sum - pretty good on food, but no time to exercise. at least yesterday at our all-day meeting they had make-your-own caesar salad, so i was able to load up on the veggies and shrimp with just a little cheese and dressing, and put out fruit instead of dessert. my goals for the weekend are no more than 2 glasses of wine fri and sat, no drinks at the superbowl party, and workout both saturday and sunday. if i can do all that, i won't feel too bad indulging in a little 7-layer dip on sunday!

enjoy your weekend!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 9:20:05 AM
Author: nejarb
jade, that spreadsheet didn''t upload, but it''s okay. your description of it will help my fi put one together for me.

Nejarb - admin must have deleted it. I''ve attached a picture of how mine looks like, but I''m sure your FI will be able to make one up for u!

Weekly-Tracker.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s purdy Jadeleaves! Mine is very rudimentary. Two columns under a date heading. One says what I hate, the other colum has the calories. That''s it!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I'm having spreadsheet envy JadeLeaves! Mine is like TG's, just too columns for food and cals. Simple but it works for me.

So something just happened inside my brain and I HAD to have a Three Muskateers Bar. The whole thing. Good on the lips, but now forever on my hips. Damn.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hee hee DJ...a girl needs a splurge once in awhile. Just don''t eat a second bar! (I never was into 3 musketeers though - too...nougaty.)

I weighed myself for giggles today...139.2! We''ll see how I do after this very heavy eating weekend though....

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, I love your new avatar!
Mara, those fiber one bars taste almost like a candy bar!! (but not as good as Dee Jays 3Musketeers!)
Sharon, nice to be able to make a snowfall good for something!
Bad week at work. Looking forward to the weekend!

I am still trying to find that blasted study for you guys about dieticians and guessing calories at meals when they are made in a restaurant. It is very eye opening - I have not forgotten about it, and Julie (my dietician friend) recalls a couple of similar studies too so we are both looking for them!! I had the shirataki noodles last night with pasta sauce, and Julie used them in a stirfry for herself and her other dietician roommate (she used the whole bag and then added regular noodles for some carbs too). I have also found that my fiancee and I both love the TJs egg salad - 100 cals per container in the refrigerated section, made with canola oil instead of mayo. My fiancee really likes the spicy ranchero flavor. I also like the regular chives flavor, although it is a little crunchy from the celery they add to that particular flavor.

I have been singing 70s songs and remembering my Farah Fawcett hair (with the wings that I used to hairspray so strongly that they would literally lift in entirety when a wind would blow from behind) ever since Ellen and Lorelei started that 70s thing the other day - I can''t stop - it is driving my fiancee crazy!

Hopefully to the gym tonight.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2007 4:53:25 PM
Author: :)

I have been singing 70s songs and remembering my Farah Fawcett hair (with the wings that I used to hairspray so strongly that they would literally lift in entirety when a wind would blow from behind) ever since Ellen and Lorelei started that 70s thing the other day - I can''t stop - it is driving my fiancee crazy!

If you get tired of singing I have a whole basket full of CDs I can send you.

Air Supply anyone?
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm egg salad sounds promising!!! i will have to look for that next time.

those oats and chocolate bars are SUPER good. i have to restrain myself...hahaha. right now i have been eating the 80 cal fiber muffins as snacks. they are filling, lots of fiber and only 80 cals. win win. oh and 3 musketeers is one of my fave candy bars (i don't like that many) ... the little snack pack ones are perfect for a treat, i think 60 cals. and actually if you are going to eat a candy bar, 3m is one of the best...lowest in cals and fat.

had a 1/2 banana berry muffin that my coworker made before lunch because i was meeting my girlfriend for a wedding dress viewing and i knew it'd be at least another 1.5 hours before i could eat anything ... and then we had lunch at this yummy sandwich salad place called le boulanger..we have them out here, it's like a bakery with fresh breads and pastries on one side and sandwiches and salads on the other...they have exceptional stuff mostly because of how tasty their bread is! haha. so i got a 1/2 turkey sandwich (california fresh it's called) on 'dutch crunch' bread which is kind of like a sweet crusty sourdough, onion, tomato, lettuce, and avocado w/dijon mustard. asked for no cheese but somehow it found it's way on there, i hate that. i had a few nibbles but left 4/5. i also got the 1/2 salad which is spring greens, bleu cheese, walnuts and cranberries, my fave type salad and dressing on the side. again the dressing found it's way onto the salad but i took it back and asked them to change it, they did and i just dipped anemically into it instead of pouring. it's balsamic so it's good for ya and it isn't the swimming in oil type but still, you never know. plus i'm supposed to be limiting balsamic for my stomach thing anyway. then i came back to work and ate the other 1/2 of my muffin.

so i should be good til dinner tonite now...oh i do have a blow pop that i might snack on. dinner tonite is at this yummy hawaiian place we love, oh i think i already said all this before. anyway planning on ahi tuna poke, crab cakes and a salad (will share apps with greg!!) and no dessert for tonite. no workout tonite either...my day off.

then tomorrow i have a hair appt and i am going to go for a ~3m brisk walk with my HRM on and hopefully burn about 400 cals. then it's back to the gym on sunday for hopefully another 500 cals on the elliptical. if i do these, ill be over my goal for the week which was 1600...i'll be more at about 1875. which will be nice!!
3.gif

have a fab rest of the day everyone and enjoy your evenings out tonite, dinner out or whatever..mmmm!!

LucyL

Rough_Rock
I don''t post very often but I read every word.

Mara, which heart rate monitor do you have and have you found it to be accurate and easy to use?

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
i did 500 cal on ellip this morning, and i''m right at 1000 cal after my afternoon snack, so looks pretty good. i should be able to get in around 1600 for the day, b/c i''m making a mushroom barley soup that i found on cooking light. i''ll post it if it''s great....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
came back from pilates and ready for an evening of wine.
1.gif
Just wanted to wish everyone a great weekend and congrats for all the hard work put in this week!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lorelei: Queen of the Avatars
9.gif

Rod: you will be pleased to know that I just returned from the gym and increased my weights once again.
Living in the Middle Ages doesn''t have to be a dark experience
36.gif

No snacking tonight..I ran out of Granola Raisan Bran (again).

Enjoy the weekend everyone
35.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Lucy L.
35.gif
...we want to hear from you too!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2007 9:11:27 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 2/2/2007 5:01:50 AM
emotion-39.gif
12.gif
17.gif

No carrot cake recipe, but when the happy hubby made the pumpkin muffins I was thinking they would be good with some shreaded carrots and walnuts in them. Then whip up some fat free cream cheese with spelnda for icing and VOILA! (Well, OK, probably not really, but I tried... )

Today is going to be a challange. I'm going out to lunch at a Thai place with an old colleague and to one of my favorite Italian places with the happy hubby for dinner, and then a party afterwards. I've been SO GOOD this week and I'm going to try to be reasonable but not crazed over what I consume. And this weekend the HH will probably cook both nights so that will be good too.

Rod, you employee sounds like an interesting project. If there any chance to get him to work with a trainer for a few sessions in the beginning? Having a commitment in terms of someone expecting him to show up, not to mention the outlay of $ might encourage him.
DeeJay.....I really tried to set him up with a trainer, but he decided he couldn't afford it. He's actually one my highest paid employee's and his wife has a good job and I know they can afford it. But I truly don't think he wants it badly enough. He's supposedly going to go to the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday nights AFTER dinner. When I asked him if he was going tonight he said it had been a long week, a week full of stress, he was tired, he wasn't sure he'd have the energy to go tonight.......and that's when I realized he feels better since the doctor put him on high blood pressure medicine and all of the sudden his motivation to REALLY change his life was floating out the window. I'm highly doubtful he'll make the changes in his life necessary to accomplish a healthy lifestyle. At least not until he has a real fright, like a heart attack or something similar.

Anyway, it was a pretty good day. Still was cloudy, damp and cold, but it was a terrific day at work and I got a lot accomplished. I ate well and of course since it's Friday night, we had sushi at our favorite sushi place. It's always good at Mura, but tonight it was just exceptional! Then we had a cup of coffee at Starbucks and we came home to have our Lindt Dark Chocolate squares (yumm). I'll still probably still have a Fuji Apple. I have to have my Fuji Apple every day. I found organic Fuji Apples and while I always really thought "Organic" was just hooey, the organic fuji apples are really better (at least to my tastebuds).

We'll have a regular Saturday.........sleep in till maybe 8 or 8:30 (such a luxury to me) a healthy breakfast and lunch, cars washed and then a good strong workout at the gym. We have reservations at a (supposedly) fantastic restaurant in a converted house, walking distance from the condo we're trying to buy, so hopefully it will be good. It is expensive and everytime we've tried to go there without a reservation, they can never accommodate us, so this time we thought ahead and made reservations. I noticed on the menu an appetizer I just have to have........Lobster Rockefeller! Sounds too good to pass up.

I hope you all have a great Saturday. Have fun, but be healthy!

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock

Sorry I’ve been MIA for a while. I’ve been SUPER busy as I’m going leave for my vacation to Taiwan on Monday 2/5th. And I’m freaking out that I don’t have enough time to get things done. So I practically haven’t signed on at all.

For the past few weeks I’ve been going to the gym at least 3 to 4 a week. Yay!! But before I started Pricescope, I would go to the gym and workout only with weights. And usually if I’m consistent, I can see that I start getting more definition. But I think since I started reading so many of you getting results from the treadmill and elliptical machines, I think I got a little crazy with it. I start doing 4+ to 5 miles jogging on the treadmill at once. And by the time I was done, I had NO energy left at all for any weight lifting. Now after almost a month, I can see a lot of definition has been lost. SOOOo… new workout routine for me, I think… is jogging on Tues and Thursday…. And weights for an hour Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. See how that works out.

I go to 24 hour here…. So when I go back to Taiwan, I can use my membership there at what’s called California Fitness there. So while I’m on vacation, I’ll still try to stick to some type of a routine.

Love how this website has really motivated me…. !! And ever since starting Sparkpeople and seeing what I’m ACTUALLY eating… I think I eat less junk as well. Before I really started counting cals… I had no idea that a simple lunch can reach 600 – 800 cals easy! That’s insane!

Seems everyone is doing well.. .keep it up..

36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rod that's sad about your employee but it makes sense...mentally changing can be a huge hurdle. hopefully he won't have to have anything too dire happen before he wakes up for real. your experience IS rare, you know that right? most people don't have the strength to do a full 180 to become healthy...and really stick with it long term... as a life change that they actually ENJOY not suffer through.

just took portia for a 1m walk around the block before dinner...and i think we are taking the light rail to dinner which is like 3 blocks from the restaurant so we'll get a little brisk walk in there too (sometimes it's nice to have to walk after dinner!!)...and ate 1/2 a fiber muffin. i still feel this cold trying to get me...argh. hopefully i can continue to fight it off this wkd.

have a great night everyone and i agree with TG...congrats on a fabulous week of eating well and working out!! time for some fun..hehee.

oh and lucy...my HRM is a polar which is one of the most popular brands out there...my dad has one, my husband has one, i have one...i think mine is an F6 ladies model. they have a few diff models, mine is a pretty basic one, it tracks my workouts, my heart rate, my calories burned, and it can also upload them i think to an excel spreadsheet or something but i never use that. it also has a weekly compilation that it shows me, aka how many calories burned for the week, time i worked out etc. but really i don't use it all the time, i found for the most part that the calories matched with the machines...and so i got tired of wearing it on the machines at the gym (i dont like constricting things on my chest)...so now i only wear it when i walk or do outdoor activities where i don't have any sort of real idea what i burn without it. anyway hope this helps, i think my version was $80-90 which isn't bad at all and i have read polar's are one of the most highly recommended. welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results