shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 29th Jan till 4th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all!

What a successful week we have just had, tons of positive attitude and great tips and support, keep it up folks!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I am having to force myself to work out at the moment, it seems the Holidays were so long ago, now is the time where many can fall off the wagon, the gyms start to clear out and no more newbies clutching their cards, the thigh trainer you got for Christmas sits sad and neglected....
15.gif
But us WWTers know better than that, even if it does get hard to sustain our workout paces and we feel blah, we know we are benefitting in other ways too for our health. So keep it up folks, Spring isn''t far off now!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning all!!

Yesterday was baaaaad. I ignored every one of you.
38.gif
9.gif
So, I''ll just have to make up for it today. That''s the great thing, it''s not the end of the world, just a bad day, and I can make it right.

Have a good week everyone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2007 8:38:30 AM
Author: Ellen
Morning all!!

Yesterday was baaaaad. I ignored every one of you.
38.gif
9.gif
So, I''ll just have to make up for it today. That''s the great thing, it''s not the end of the world, just a bad day, and I can make it right.

Have a good week everyone.
I had a bad day too...I had a large bowl of tapioca pudding, a million calorie pasta dish, some chips and 3 peanut butter cups, I think that is all, on top of my beakfast.
emembarrassed.gif

But today is a new day!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 8:56:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

I had a bad day too...I had a large bowl of tapioca pudding, a million calorie pasta dish, some chips and 3 peanut butter cups, I think that is all, on top of my beakfast.
emembarrassed.gif

But today is a new day!
That is one of my all time faves, and it reminds me of my gramma, she loved it too and made it all the time. We''d sit and share a bowl so often.

I''m so glad you posted that, it gave me a nice memory.
5.gif

Of course, now I want some.
11.gif
9.gif

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Today is going to be a pain! I need to work later than usual, until 6 pm or so, and when that happens I never want to go to the gym, I just want to stay home. Well, oh well! If I say I am going to the gym tonight on this thread, then I have to, or I''ll just look like a gym liar!
9.gif

Food today is going to go fine...

Breakfast: Fiber One honey clusters w/ milk
Snack: 3 clementines
Lunch: LC Roasted Garlic Chicken pizza (my fav LC... after eating them for years)
Snack: Fiber One oats and chocolate bar (soooo good)
Dinner: Either grilled flank steak or sun-dried tomato chicken, can''t decide, but served up with Alexia rosemary and garlic fries

Good luck on tackling Monday, everyone! If you didn''t have a fab weekend food-wise, it''s a brand new clean week for eating well!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe! I love these traditional puds, I used Minute Tapioca for a quick fix, so I could go and make me some MORE!!!
3.gif

Good job Lindsey!
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL @ gym liar!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Good morning all!

Had a good weekend. nearly went ice skating, but i, too, was a victim of the stomach flu. unfortunately, it hit me while the zamboni was making it''s final turns...
14.gif
. but, it was swift and by sunday i was feeling fine. cooked some really tasty food which i''ll post over in the recipe thread. did pilates. long walks with the pup.

this friday, i''m taking off for miami and i''m quite excited to leave the chill behind. bikini here i come
emstar.gif

mara: i''ve been eating a fage a day for nearly a week. i''m addicted. completely. i prefer not to whip, but rather enjoy drizzling about 2 teaspoons of honey over the yougurt and topping with berries. i also picked up some mango to add when i run out of raspberries. so delicious, filling and healthy!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone!
This is my first WWT post and I am excited about getting fit again! I used to be really skinny and would run on the treadmill 4-5 ties a week. Then I started BC for ovarian cysts, got Lyme disease, and started eating out more with my fiance. All that meant no working out and gaining weight. So I am now ready to eat better and get fit before my 2008 wedding!!

This morning I had 2 scrambled eggs with green onion, green chile, and bell peppers. I figured since I am a vegetarian and I am not getting the cholesterol from meat I can have whole eggs but I might be doing more egg whites in the future. For lunch I am going to have a protein shake with frozen strawberries, tofu, soy milk, flax seed oil, and a little bit of grape juice to sweeten. I don''t know what I am going to have for dinner yet though. I am also going to go on the eliptical and see how long I can make it. I know it won''t be as long as you guys but you all can inspire me about what I can work my way up to.

Are there any other vegetarians on here? It seems like most of the "diets" out there are tailored towards only meat eaters and are pretty hard to adapt to a veggie diet. Any tips would be great. I know I have a tendency to try too hard in the beginning and limiting my calories so much that I can''t keep it up so I don''t want to do that this time.
Have a great day everyone!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all!

I do my weigh in on Mondays, and I lost another kg from last monday! Woohoo! I'm not sure I trust these scales at the gym though, it's an analog scale and it wobbles too much it is kinda hard to get a reading. But my trainer said I lost a kg, and who am I to argue with her since my pants are hanging off me a little bit.

I took myself on a clothes shopping spree afterwards.

Foodwise I did pretty good today - banana berry muffin for brekkie, soup for lunch and steak , salad & roast spuds for dinner. I made sure I got a small steak that is one serving size, and had 3 cocktail spuds roasted with herb & garlic and then a big salad.

Exercisewise I did about 700calories in total. I am feeling so sore now! Does anyone know how much calories an hour of strength training using machines burns?

This week I want to hit the gym 4 times & burn at least 500calories on the cross trainer each time, and hopefully I'll meet that goal. One down and 4 to go!

Button has been rather sulky for the past few nights and we have had to let him sleep in bed with us, and he is going for his 4 months immunisation on Tuesday. Looks like it's going to be a rough week.

Have a great week everyone!

P/S: There is a chocolate scroll calling my name in the kitchen... helpppppppppppppppp!
23.gif

ETA: Welcome indecisive!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday everybody!

I really *was* going to go to the gym yesterday but I was too exhausted from taking that red eye flight back to make it over there. The closest I got was actually putting on my work out clothes but then I sat down on the bed to tie my shoes... then The Demon jumped up on the bed to see what I was doing... then The Demon talked me into taking a nap... Tonight though, elliptical here I come!

The happy hubby went grocery shopping last night and picked up a bunch of good snack and lunch choices so I'm set for the week. I do have a hankering for a peanut butter sandwich though (no idea where that little urge is coming from!). We have that white whole wheat bread at home that's only 140 cals for two slices so I'll have to check into the peanutbutter cals and see if it's worth it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lindsey you are always so good about your food!!! i love that you know what you are going to eat then eat it. i was like that for a long time but lately, hehehe...i have given myself more liberties. i need to get back into my 'this is what i am eating today' and do it.

lulu, yeah TG turned us onto the fage last week and i gotta say that while i didn't put it in my mouth and go OMG i'm dying in heaven, it WAS good and i like the texture with the honey and vanilla. i could also see how it will grow on me til i love it, at first sometimes new tastes or textures take me a little bit then i wonder how i got along without them. i love the idea of berries, that it's low cal and low fat and has a ton of protein and that it's flat out healthy and good for you. so i am going to get some more today at TJ's and pick up some honey to keep at work and bring my blueberries to work today and have it as an afternoon snackie.

welcome indecisive and don't worry ellen and lorelei, today is a new day and i was bad all weekend! hehe.

oh and DJ you should try the better n'peanut butter from TJs'. someone recommended it in the other thread, its apparently still real peanut butter but it's more healthy somehow, and it's only 100 cals per tablespoon whereas regular is more like 200. i love PB and jelly sandwiches...hehe.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lindsay: "gym liar" ha ha ha!!

So last night we went to an amazing little italian bistro, and it was DELICIOUS! We started off w/ Avacado spring rolls, I ate one and DH ate two. Then we split a spinach salad w/ carmerlized onions and bits of bacon (I discovered yesterday that bacon isn't horrible for you! 5 slices is only 200 calories. Too bad I like sausage for breakfast; but good info for those of you who are like me and had no clue that bacon isn't disgustingly terrible!). Then I had chicken penne pesto, yum yum! I ate about 3/4 a cup of pasta and most of the chicken and left the rest. We took a walk through Little Italy (in SD) and stopped at another restaurant for a night cap and dessert. We split a chocolate pistachio thing (it sort of looked like fudge but was much lighter) w/ rasperry sorbet. I ate 1/2 the sorbet and about 1/4 of one of the chocolate things (it came with two) and pushed the rest to John's side of the plate. He finished it happily.

So taking that into consideration I estimated I ate just under 1600 calories a day on average last week. That's not too shabby considering We ate out for dinner three times had breakfast out once and and had 2 meals at someone elses home. I've guessed high on my count for all of these occasions, just to be on the safe side.

This week should be a lot more peaceful, no traveling etc. which means more good eating and exercise, woohoo! We stopped at our favorite Italian market yesterday and picked up some delicious balsamic vinegar (aged 12 years, like scotch!) for salads as well as some chick peas. We also picked up some polenta and I'm going to try a new dish this week. Basically you use it as a crust in a 13 by 9 dish, spread some marinara (I'll make a marinara w/ fresh basil and turkey sausage) and sprinkle a bit of parm over the whole thing, voila, dinner! I'll post the recipe once I try it out.

DeeJay: Sounds like you had a great time in Vegas and found a good balance between splurging and healthy, good for you!

Mara: I hope the gym went well for you.

Rod: You are inspring as always.

Lorelei: The same goes for you. Your posts every week get me motivated to push myself a bit harder than I might normally. It is much appreciated!

Happy day all!

ETA: Welcome indecisive! And great work, JadeLeaves!!!! Hope you had fun clothes shopping!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol lorelei at feeling unmotivated to work out. i am SUPER motivated, but that is probably because i have been kind of in and out of the workout scene for the last 3 weeks now. i look back fondly on my old schedule. oh and my gym is still really crowded, amazingly enough!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
indecisive - I''m a vegetarian too, it will be fun having another one on this thread
36.gif
1.gif
I know what you mean about the diets being tailored towards meat eaters. You''d be surprised what you can find with a little internet research though - when my DH and I did South Beach a while back I found a whole vegetarian low carb cookbook that had some really yummy recipes in it.

I did really well all weekend, in spite of spending most of it away from home at my mom''s which meant lots of eating out. I was so proud of myself because I really tend to indulge too much when I eat out normally, but I was very good. We went to a yummy seafood/Asian place on Saturday night, and I had a HUGE appetite (cleaning mom''s house all day and helping her get ready to show it to sell, then a stressful 2.5 hour meeting with the mortgage broker for the duplex that her and me and DH are all planning to go in on together), but I made good choices - mom and I shared a light salad, I had some edamame to tide me over before my entree, and then my entree was a big bowl of grilled asparagus and bok choy with some tofu over brown rice, which I was careful to only eat about 1/2 cup of. The only thing that was high cal was the teriyaki sauce on it, plus the dessert that we shared three ways but that was mostly fresh fruit. So overall, I''m still solidly at my average of 1400 cals/day for the last three weeks that I''ve been carefully tracking.

This morning I had some fiber one honey clusters - that stuff really fills you up! I feel kind of bloated actually, but I"m sure that will go away when I hit the gym. If I can get up the guts (and if I don''t still feel this bloated) I''ll weigh myself there, so fingers crossed that all this careful eating is paying off.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2007 11:13:52 AM
Author: Mara
lol lorelei at feeling unmotivated to work out. i am SUPER motivated, but that is probably because i have been kind of in and out of the workout scene for the last 3 weeks now. i look back fondly on my old schedule. oh and my gym is still really crowded, amazingly enough!
I am back in business now - watch out tonight equipment, I''m a comin'' to getcha!

32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
says my treadmill!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 11:15:23 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
indecisive - I''m a vegetarian too, it will be fun having another one on this thread
36.gif
1.gif
I know what you mean about the diets being tailored towards meat eaters. You''d be surprised what you can find with a little internet research though - when my DH and I did South Beach a while back I found a whole vegetarian low carb cookbook that had some really yummy recipes in it.

I did really well all weekend, in spite of spending most of it away from home at my mom''s which meant lots of eating out. I was so proud of myself because I really tend to indulge too much when I eat out normally, but I was very good. We went to a yummy seafood/Asian place on Saturday night, and I had a HUGE appetite (cleaning mom''s house all day and helping her get ready to show it to sell, then a stressful 2.5 hour meeting with the mortgage broker for the duplex that her and me and DH are all planning to go in on together), but I made good choices - mom and I shared a light salad, I had some edamame to tide me over before my entree, and then my entree was a big bowl of grilled asparagus and bok choy with some tofu over brown rice, which I was careful to only eat about 1/2 cup of. The only thing that was high cal was the teriyaki sauce on it, plus the dessert that we shared three ways but that was mostly fresh fruit. So overall, I''m still solidly at my average of 1400 cals/day for the last three weeks that I''ve been carefully tracking.

This morning I had some fiber one honey clusters - that stuff really fills you up! I feel kind of bloated actually, but I''m sure that will go away when I hit the gym. If I can get up the guts (and if I don''t still feel this bloated) I''ll weigh myself there, so fingers crossed that all this careful eating is paying off.
Question for you all: When you go out to eat, how do you know for certain the calorie count in the food you are eating? I know that there are many places that have their calories online, but what about small places that don''t have their calories online? And I guess you can say, well when I make this, it has x amount of calories, but unless you inquire how exactly the restaurant makes something - ie sauces, oils, butters, etc... how are you certain of the calorie content?
This was actually my issue using SparksPeople, because I never felt certain of the calorie contents of some of my foods. I can definitely guestimate..but not certain. About 3 days a week, I go to my downstairs cafeteria and they prepare wraps. The sandwich guy says that all wraps are low carb; I get half the turkey he usually puts in - because I do not like my wraps too stuffed, then he puts 2 - 3 pieces of small cheese and a bit of mayo and mustard on it. I can guess that this sandwich is maybe 400 calories, but again, not sure.

So how do you guys figure this out?

Thanks

Mer

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
merrijoy,

I do a guesstimate when we go out to eat, and I always guess high so I''m sure I''ve covered myself. Most of our favorite restaurants are smaller joints, family owned. There is no way to know (except it''s becoming a law in NY now that larger restaurants, even if they aren''t chains, post their nutritional information and my guess is that over time those laws will spread out accross the US and reach the rest of us).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 12:15:15 PM
Author: KimberlyH
merrijoy,

I do a guesstimate when we go out to eat, and I always guess high so I'm sure I've covered myself. Most of our favorite restaurants are smaller joints, family owned. There is no way to know (except it's becoming a law in NY now that larger restaurants, even if they aren't chains, post their nutritional information and my guess is that over time those laws will spread out accross the US and reach the rest of us).
I agree with Kimberly, also if I know what the item is made of...aka a sandwich or a salad or something then I can guesstimate on what the cals are. But yeah if we go out for dinner and I get the grilled seabass with a lemon wine sauce or something, I have no idea how much oil or butter they use so it's hard to estimate. Also sometimes I ask the waiter or the person what's in the item. I was curious if our local fave mexi place made their refried beans with lard since some places still do and they said no, they use olive oil. So that's a lot more healthy obviously and way less fat and calories. And a lot of times if you google things you can get a fair idea of how 'healthy' certain things when eating out are. And to avoid certain 'trigger' words (aka fried, creamy and go more for grilled, roasted, broiled or similar). And ask for sauces on the side if you feel really particular...at some places I even bring my own salad dressings (only small places we feel comfortable at typically).

Random note if anyone is still following my whole stomach saga, but I just left a message for my doctor to refer me to a GI doctor...I have been taking Prilosec for a week now and while I feel better at some points, I definitely feel like I have some sort of GI thing going on now. All the symptoms are just solidfying. After I eat, my stomach burns on both sides under my ribs. I feel like my esophagus is totally swollen and it hurts at points during the day, and by the end of the evening at night before I go to bed, I feel like my entire trunk is swollen and like my stomach and esophagus wants to pop out of my body. The pain is not debilitating or anything, but it's just moderate enough to be a total pain in the butt and drive me slowly insane. And at times I can't walk or stand up the way I normally would (aka yesterday at a museum I had to take a rest because my stomach was hurting from standing in front of these exhibits). So I really want to get in and see a specialist and have them figure out what the #$% is going on. I'm really happy that I am more active and able to work out a bit again without real pain and all that, but I do not feel remotely close to normal so I want to get to the bottom of it and start really working on fixing it. I feel pretty positive for the most part but sometimes at night I feel kind of like 'why me' and 'what is going on'...I hate feeling badly..I am a real wuss about pain and discomfort so everything always seems magnified.

Anyhow...on a food note for today, I want to be back on the wagon after our guest left this morning BUT we still have a chocolate croissant and a porte-fueille left from our pastry visit to the french bakery yesterday, yikes. Two of my favorites. So I'm going to try to do a partial nibble thing with Greg tonite as dessert and see if we can make them last a few days so that I don't have to count eating the whole choco croissant as a snack or something horrible, lol. I am cutting my cals back on the days I don't work out this week to a low 1200ish...because I need to do some makeup for the last 4 days. On workout days I'm going to be around 1400ish. So I'm going to try to do this all week and see how it goes. Hopefully doing that for a week is going to be enough to get those 2 sneaky pounds off. hehe.
2.gif
Have a great day everyone!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I''m glad that you updated us on your issue. I meant to ask earlier how you were doing and I totally forgot.

I had oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch (note to save others from my bland fate: don''t bother with the 50% less sodium Progresso chicken soup--I had to put salt in it to make it edible), LC pizza and Classico sauce for dipping for dinner, snacks will be a banana and chocolate pudding cup. But RIGHT NOW I want a mocha from Starbucks. Even with a grande nonfat mocha and everthing else I''ve planned out today I''m still at only 1180 cals so I think I''m gonna brave the snow and go across the street and get one.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I splurged a little on Friday night, but it was a going away party for a friend. Central Market has a variety of different marinated pork tenderloins in the butcher case so last night we tried the southwest one--it was quite tasty and I had the leftovers as part of my lunch--I need to go to cafeteria and get some fruit to finish my lunch.

I also went to my Total Body Training class today--he made us do some sprints at the end, wow I haven''t done those in a long time...I might have to practice that when the weather is nice outside.

Also I have book club tonight and everyone brings a snack or wine....I''m going to make black bean salsa and get some baked chips for a healthy option...I love the guiltless gourmet spicy black bean chips. I don''t know if I can resist the wine or not, but I''ll try.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone tried those new spritz salad dressings that are 10 cals?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I''m sorry to hear things are worse, but SO glad you''re going to see someone. There''s definitely something wrong!

Keep us posted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
update..my doctor called me back (the one who i have on record but i hardly see since she is in another town and i have yet to move my records over to a closer office)...and we talked for 20 minutes. she says it definitely sounds like my stomach and tubing is inflamed and is going to give me a higher prescription dosage of prilosec than what i am taking now. she said it could take a few weeks to really start working. my lab tests came back fine, she said that i should just watch the foods i eat because some of them could be making me worse. apparently yogurt is acidic and not good for me right now, boo hoo!! and also anything like garlic, onions, tomatoes, citrus etc. antacids can continue to help. apparently the prilosec also heals ulcers so if i have one starting that should eventually take care of it. she said she wants to continue with this higher dosage of prilosec for a few weeks and then if things are not improved, she wants to schedule an endoscopy (tube into tummy) with a GI specialist. yikes! so hopefully things do improve within a few weeks.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Mara - so sorry to hear about your continuing troubles. At least it sounds like the doctor is taking you a little more seriously now with the increased meds. I really hope that the higher dose of Prilosec is helpful.

So I just wanted to share that I got the guts to get on the scale at the gym and I''m happy to report that I''m down another two pounds since last week
36.gif
9.gif
So I think that''s a good rate of weight loss and I really hope I can keep it up. Mondays are weird days for me because I have a class from 4-6pm and then I''m meeting with my team for the class project after so I won''t be home probably until at least 8pm. Since I''m usually starving and tempted to overeat by then, I''ve tried to guard against that by having a slightly smaller breakfast and bringing three 100-calorie snacks with me - I probably won''t need them all, but at least I''ll have them if I''m starving and I''ve convined myself it won''t kill me if I have to reduce my dinner calories a little to compensate since its probably not good for me to be eating a huge meal at 9pm anyway. So wish me luck with the new snacks + smaller dinner strategy!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
mara, if you think the esophagus is part of the problem you might want to watch the chocolate and caffeine. hth.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes thanks crown, the doctor mentioned that...it's a pretty long list, i just didn't want to type it all out! typically i already eat pretty well so i don't consume too many irritants on a typical basis, but i just will be more careful.

congrats AG on going down a few more lbs!!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
hey mara, hope you get all the medical stuff sorted out. quickly!

maybe it was last week, but you posted a link to a top 10 frozen dinner list. that woman also had tons of hints, etc. what was that link again.

thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks lulu me too! in the meantime at least i am able to work out...hehe.

the link was from hungry girl who writes on yahoo. i just checked and i diddn''t bookmark the link, but it was on yahoo food last week...i can''t find it right now but it is in last week''s thread.

also i found this on her site, interesting, who wanted a PB and Jelly sandie earlier? you might try this!!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/askhgdetails.php?isid=1010

i haven''t tried the ''better n''peanut butter'' but it sounds interesting, tastes like PB & Jelly but without the jelly? umm okay!! lol.

i see peanut butter cookies in my near future. maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results