shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 29th Jan till 4th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2007 9:34:08 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Ellen and Lorelei, you two have just dragged me kicking and screaming back into the 70s this morning. Stop it! I lived through Charlie''s Angels and ABBA and bell bottoms the first time around--don''t make me relive it all again this morning before I''ve even had my coffee! (
2.gif
)

So I''ve stumbled across what most (maybe all!) of you will find to be the strangest ''treat.'' The other night I was digging through the pantry looking for something to nibble on and I found these 100 cal packs of ritz crisps. Then I remembered that my great grandmother and I used to sit in front of the television and watch the Mike Douglas talk show (woah--back to the 70s again!) in the early evenings and she would put little smears of butter on ritz crackers for me, so I took those itsy bitsy crisps and put the tiniest bit of margarine on each one and for 140 cals I was in heaven! A little bit of fat for texture, a little bit of salt, and they''re crispy--what more could you ask for?!

I''m finding that on the days when we don''t go out or the happy hubby doesn''t cook a real dinner that I have a hard time find things to eat that get me to my calorie goal. For instance today:

150 cals oatmeal
350 cals chicken terraki bowl for lunch
120 cals banana
60 cals pudding cup
180 cals butternut squash soup from Campbells
70 cals bread (to toast for ''croutons'' in the soup)
100 cals oreo crisps
1030 TOTAL CALS

I was adding this all up in my head as I walked to work so I stopped for coffee this morning to get in another 85 cals in the whole milk, but that''s still only 1115 and I''m trying to go a bit above 1200. This is pretty typical for me in terms of eating, but a few days I have crawled into bed and found that abot 10:00 I''m hungry (which did not used to happen). And let me also caveat by saying that (1) there are days when go above my calorie range (like when we went to Smith and Wollensky, or even if the HH just makes a richer meal) and (2) I''m not depriving myself or anything; these are all things I want to eat and I feel like I''m eating enough in terms of volume, but what should I do? Eat bigger cal meals or snack more or both?

Anyway, I may not be able to work out tonight because I''m taking a client to seem some properties and we''ll be out until at least 6:30 and most likely later. Hopefully he''ll be zippy and I will get to the gym, but I had forgotten, with the slow real estate market over the holidays how many evenings I''ll spend in the early spring with my buyers. Ug.
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
hi lorelei - thanks for asking about my horse. he has been having a problem with recurrent colic for the past 6 months. the vet felt it was ulcers, so we''ve been treating him for that, but he colicked this past friday and again on sunday and seems to be having trouble getting thru this one. he usually bounces right back, but last night he was still really out of it and wouldn''t eat other than a couple bites of bran mash. he''s definitely not feeling well. we''re taking him up to the best veterinary hospital tomorrow to get scoped, and hopefully we will get a better plan of attack.

my mea culpa - i gave in to stress eating last night. i am worried about my horse, and when i am upset i want to eat everything in sight! i had a bunch of triscuits and a couple small pieces of dark chocolate after i got home from the barn. one night won''t kill me, and today i am dedicating myself to finding other ways to deal with the stress! i''m hoping that if i post that committment here, it will keep me accountable.

have a good day, all.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 9:35:44 AM
Author: Lorelei

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

*playing*

show4_lg.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You two are EVIL!

(And you know which TWO I mean!!!)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 10:05:09 AM
Author: shortblonde
hi lorelei - thanks for asking about my horse. he has been having a problem with recurrent colic for the past 6 months. the vet felt it was ulcers, so we''ve been treating him for that, but he colicked this past friday and again on sunday and seems to be having trouble getting thru this one. he usually bounces right back, but last night he was still really out of it and wouldn''t eat other than a couple bites of bran mash. he''s definitely not feeling well. we''re taking him up to the best veterinary hospital tomorrow to get scoped, and hopefully we will get a better plan of attack.

my mea culpa - i gave in to stress eating last night. i am worried about my horse, and when i am upset i want to eat everything in sight! i had a bunch of triscuits and a couple small pieces of dark chocolate after i got home from the barn. one night won''t kill me, and today i am dedicating myself to finding other ways to deal with the stress! i''m hoping that if i post that committment here, it will keep me accountable.

have a good day, all.
No it won''t. And I hope he is alright.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
17.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2007 10:07:23 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
You two are EVIL!

(And you know which TWO I mean!!!)
12.gif
17.gif
( NICE WORK ELLEN...hehehe...)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2007 10:08:01 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/30/2007 10:05:09 AM
hi lorelei - thanks for asking about my horse. he has been having a problem with recurrent colic for the past 6 months. the vet felt it was ulcers, so we've been treating him for that, but he colicked this past friday and again on sunday and seems to be having trouble getting thru this one. he usually bounces right back, but last night he was still really out of it and wouldn't eat other than a couple bites of bran mash. he's definitely not feeling well. we're taking him up to the best veterinary hospital tomorrow to get scoped, and hopefully we will get a better plan of attack.

my mea culpa - i gave in to stress eating last night. i am worried about my horse, and when i am upset i want to eat everything in sight! i had a bunch of triscuits and a couple small pieces of dark chocolate after i got home from the barn. one night won't kill me, and today i am dedicating myself to finding other ways to deal with the stress! i'm hoping that if i post that committment here, it will keep me accountable.

have a good day, all.
No it won't. And I hope he is alright.
Ditto. I take it you have done all the usual things such as worming etc. Have you had his teeth checked recently? What type of soil is he on, sandy soil can lead to recurring colic etc? What is a typical days feeding for him? Sorry to ask the obvious, sometimes it can be something simple if you are lucky which can cause these things.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All.

shortblonde: I''m so sorry about your horse. No guilt about some triscuits and chocolate, it''s definitely not the end of the world.

DeeJay: Great continued work! The last time we wandered through the mall JCPenney''s had some Levi''s on sale for $30, it might be worth picking up a pair, just to have one that fits. Could you pick up some 100 cal snacks as calorie filler? As for going to bed feeling a bit hungry, that''s a good thing. That is when your body is burning fat instead of food you''ve put in your tummy.

Mara: Hope your stomach continues to improve.

John made a delicious low-cal version of chicken vesuvio last night. Tonight I''m making polenta w/ sausage, mushrooms and peppers. If it turns out yummy, I''ll post the recipe.

I''m exercising today, and looking forward to it!

Have a healthy day, everyone.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I am officially jumping on board. Since moving to Ann Arbor I''ve gained about 8 pounds and I am sick of feeling squishy and tight in my jeans. Yesterday was the kicker when I was trying on wedding dresses...I haven''t tried on anything in a long time and just changing and having the girl have to come in the room with me to help me into the dress...ick!
14.gif
Shame on me for being lazy the past few months!!! I have so little muscle tone it''s gross.

I''m not looking for huge changes, but hopefully I can shrink my butt and define my waist more...my hips are about 4 " wider than my top, so I was getting really discouraged wedding dress shopping b/c I was feeling like NOTHING looked good. Even the A line b/c my top is just so NARROW compared to the bottom.

I''d like to go from 32 - 27 -36 to a more proportional 32 -26/27 - 34 by the summer. I hold weight in the butt/thigh area, so I don''t think that much more than an inch can be lost from my stomach.

So far today I''ve been good, I had yogurt then a special K bar a few hours later. I brought a south beach diet meal (didn''t feel like making a sandwitch this morning) and some carrot sticks for a snack. I ran out last night after the bridal shop and bought healthy food b/c I''m so fed up with how I eat and my lack of exercise. I''m making a resolution to really cut down on the booze too b/c that''s probably contributing alot!

Didn''t make it to the gym tho, b/c FI RESET the alarm for later last night, even though I set it for 6am!!!!

Hopefully my goals are realistic.
41.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Welcome aboard, Sweetpea! Not that you asked for it, but my only word of advice is that you remember there is no such thing as spot weight loss, so don''t allow yourself to be discouraged if you don''t lose when you want, where you want. You can tone areas that you are unhappy with and make them look better though!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the thread Swee'pea!

You can definitely make great changes by the summer, as Kim said though you will find you lose inches all over, but you should find that with working out too you get better proportioned and any excess fat on the areas you mention should shift! Stick to cardio initially such as treadmill and or elliptical as these are your best fat burners, then as you see your new figure emerge, try some weights to tone up.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome sweetpea! one thing that i have learned is that sometimes it''s harder to lose those last 5 lbs or one inch here or there than it is to drop 30 lbs or a bunch of inches...aka the last few are the hardest and can take the longest depending on your body. but changing eating habits and exercising more IS a positive thing so you are doing the right thing for your body, but it might manifest itself in a slower progress OR you might not see very many visual changes for a while as your body converts fat to muscle. that is what happened to me...! in any case stay positive and good luck.

gosh DJ i just wish i had the problem where i wasn''t eating enough, haha. i just love food too much, i don''t think that will ever be the case where i am consistently having issues meeting my cal range (though sometimes i might wish that was the case when i go over!!). i do go through phases where i don''t crave as much and i end up on the lower end of my cals aka 1300 when i was supposed to be eating 1500+ but that is usually one or two days every other week or something. in any case, if you are trying to reach 1200 i''d throw in more soup OR eat real toast OR use real butter or something like that. see your day eating is not that much different than mine but our night time eating is much different. my dinner is my largest meal. so i typically come home and have consumed like 800ish cals and eat another 600ish for dinner. what about adding a fruit into after dinner like an apple or another banana or as the weather gets better other fruits like nectarines, peaches etc. those are good for about 100-130 cals depending on how large the fruit is. or having a bowl of cereal as a treat for after dinner (my ''sweet'' pleasure is honey bunches of oats which is 120 cals and 2g of fat for a 3/4c...with milk its more like 150)? just think of some healthy but fun things you might want to add in for dessert or as an accompanyment to dinner and do that to meet your 1200. especially since you are working out, try to at least stay at 1200.

i redid my goals for this week after checking out sparkpeople...so in order to lose my 2 lbs gained by feb 5 i need to eat about 1200-1550 cals a day and burn 1600 cals this week. so 4 workouts of 400. so we''ll see. honestly...the 2 lbs is not really visually manifesting itself anywhere other than my belly which WILL be flatter after a few days of lighter eating, it''s the first place to bloat out after a gorging few days like a vacation and then if i just eat light for a few days it flattens out again. so i am not really worrying about the 2 lb weight gain...and i kind of think a bit of fat might have been re-added to my butt which looks BETTER than it did before, so i am kind of enjoying my body right now, it''s a little softer looking right now whereas before it was kind of lean and wiry looking before i had my stomach injury. i bet i lost some muscle but maybe it''s not such a bad thing. i was looking pretty athletic there for a while (when naked, in clothes i look the same!)...which isn''t a bad thing either but it''s just different. so i''m going to work out 3-4x this week and cals are going to try to average out to about 1300-1450 for the 5 weekdays, then have one weekend evening splurge (saturday) then sunday i typically am within my range without trying because we have a breakfast, snacks or cereal for ''lunch'' then a healthy CLish dinner.

anyway i found that trying to do 1200 cals just made me feel hungry. my total yesterday was at about 1450 and i was happy...full...had dessert, etc. so that''s going to be the goal.
2.gif
workout tonite where my goal is 400 cals. i might try doing some arm stuff depending on how i feel.

shortblonde hope your horse feels better! ellen and lorelei you gals are silly!! kimberly, dinner sounded yummy. i definitely want to try your chicken enchiladas in the other thread maybe later this week or possibly for sunday night dinner.

have a great day everyone!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Went to another session with the personal trainer last night, and was sweating like a pig the whole time. I think I need to do more cardio though, because even though my muscles are getting toned and my waist and hips have definitely lost a couple of inches, the scale hasn''t budged in two weeks. My clothes are fitting better, at least.

I had a huge salad last night from Baja Fresh. I mean, huge. With grilled chicken, some tortilla strips, and shredded cheese, with vinaigrette. Unlike most salads, it actually filled me up. I figured it had to be 600 cals at least, but I looked it up today and it was only 310!
36.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the support lorelei, KimberlyH and Mara! I'm excited to be starting a healthier lifestyle. I mean I would go to McDonalds at least once a week. I used to be awesome at going to the gym and eating right, then I just let unrealistic expectations get in the way and burn me out. This time I def. won't let that happen! When I was working out consistantly, I found pilates to be wonderful for toning abs, so I'll work on those, but arms and legs/butt are going to need serious wieghts. I figure once I get used to going to the gym consistantly, I'll throw in weights also.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Selkie,

I LOVE Baja Fresh. The two taco combo platter (with no rice) is really quite good for you and tasty, along with many of their items. Yum, yum! I haven''t been there in a while, now I''m craving.

Mara, I''ll see if I can get John to write down the recipe for me and I''ll post it, it was really delicious.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
hi sweetpea!
35.gif
what gym to you go to in town?

thanks for all the well wishes for my horse. lorelei, i think all the simple stuff is accounted for (wormed regularly, teeth in good shape, no sand or parasites in fecal tests, no changes in feed or pasture for over 4 years). he's been at his current barn for 4+ years, and hadn't ever colicked there until about 6 months ago. we are pretty meticulous about his care (he even has an acupuncturist/chiropracter), and there have been no changes in his routine that would prompt this. that's why we're calling in the big guns tomorrow.

today i had a pumpkin muffin for breakfast, tuna salad with fresh spinach on high fiber bread for lunch, and i've got an apple for a snack later. not sure about dinner yet. again, likely no workout as i have to check on the pony. these are the times when i wish he was closer - it's a 45 minute drive each way.

dj, i wish i could get thru the day on so few calories, especially now that it's so cold. i can do 1100-1200 in the summer, but i am so much hungrier in the winter. i think i am genetically programmed to hibernate, lol.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I haven''t been working out at all because the flu has been giving me a good smacking around for the past couple days. Thankfully it could be worse...I just have a terrible sore throat, body aches, chest congestion and minor nasal congestion. I had a 103 fever the first night which was miserable, and then it hovered around 102 to 101 for the next day. My temp has been mostly normal today but I still feel kind of weak. I''ve had the flu once before and that was much worse. Anyway, I lost 4 pounds even though I''ve been able to eat 3 meals a day. It''s weird because 4 pounds on a 5''0" girl is a LOT of weight, esp in 3 days. Does that mean I''ve been terribly bloated? Or did my body expend a lot of energy in all the shaking from my fever chills? Note: I would NOT recomment this method of weightloss.
14.gif

The only cooking I did was congee (traditional Chinese breakfast aka rice porridge). In the past few years, my mom only makes congee when we get sick. It can be bland if you have it plain, or it can be flavorful if you''re feeling more adventerous. It''s also very easy to swallow and comforting because it''s hot and liquidy.

I made mine slightly flavorful. 4 cups chicken broth, 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat (slow boil/simmer) and then add 8 tablespoons of long grain rice (I like jasmine rice). Cook partially covered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. I added frozen green peas in the last 5 minutes and thin slices of a scrambled egg. I have no idea how many calories, but I didn''t really care. Of course you can flavor it any way you want. I added a little more soy sauce at the end. Oh, if you want to eat it plain (which I did for many many years as a child and loved it)...just do 6 cups of water and 8 tbsp rice. Cook in the same way. This came out to be 5 servings for me.

I hope everyone else is staying healthy!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL gals, if I'm satisfied eating so few cals now without *really* trying it kinda makes you wonder why I'm fat to begin with!

Because of a meeting I ended up eating lunch about 1-1/2 hours later than ususal so now I'm not even gonna want all those snacky things in the afternoon. I guess I will have to find something else to have for dinner to get me where I need to be because the LAST thing I want is to make my body think I'm starving and it needs to hold on to calories!
23.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Last night I didn''t drink any wine at bookclub, but I did some yummy brownie cake (it was calling my name).

I did the elliptical for 30 min during lunch today (usually its taken so I got lucky) and had a turkey sandwhich on wheat and am having some fruit too.

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
appletini, when you work out at lunch, do you shower in the morning and then again after you''re done working out? my gym is right next door to my office, and i''d love to go during the day when it''s less crowded, but i can''t quite get past the idea of having to hassle with doing my hair and makeup twice in one day.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Happy new week!
36.gif

My eating over the weekend wasn''t too stellar especially since we were celebrating a milestone birthday for my mom and we ate out at Ruth''s Chris AND indulged in birthday cake (me, it was 3 pieces in a matter of two days!
14.gif
).

But, I did manage to get to my butt-kicker step class last night and also to my pilates class this morning. We used the ball as a workout again, and I thought I hated it at first, but it really does make you use muscles in your inner thighs and abs area that you really never noticed before. yay for that!

My sis-in-law sent me a great lowfat shrimp and linguine dish that I''m going to test out tomorrow, and if its good, then I will post it in the low fat recipes thread here. Sounds yummy!

Tonight, it will be more weight training, I think I''m pulling something in my left shoulder blade when I use the 15lbs weights, so I might try the 12 lbs tonight and ease up to the 15 lbs for Thursday.

35.gif

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
The post before mine made me think of a question I had earlier and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me. I get up early in the morning, then shower & wash hair, then go work out in the evening and then I shower wash my hair again. Is it normal to do this? I hate washing my hair even once every day since I have color treated hair, but is there really any other way if you are sweating it up? I don''t want to lay in bed with icky once-sweaty hair, but its very damaging to my hair to have to wash twice daily.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe rosebud i actually only typically wash my hair about 4x a week. i chemically straighten it and it dries out pretty easily so i have various products and conditioners i use on it but i can''t wash it daily. i try to time my workouts to when i wash my hair for the most part...but there is a time during the week when i am doing like back to back days on workouts so i just wait til the 2nd night then wash it then. i find that if i blow dry the areas that might get a little sweaty the heat kind of kills anything...hehe. also honestly i don''t sweat that much in my hairline...it''s not like i am pouring sweat during workouts since i have long since cut back on the hard core workouts and just do maintenance which is pretty lowkey.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 1:18:26 PM
hi sweetpea!
35.gif
what gym to you go to in town?

thanks for all the well wishes for my horse. lorelei, i think all the simple stuff is accounted for (wormed regularly, teeth in good shape, no sand or parasites in fecal tests, no changes in feed or pasture for over 4 years). he''s been at his current barn for 4+ years, and hadn''t ever colicked there until about 6 months ago. we are pretty meticulous about his care (he even has an acupuncturist/chiropracter), and there have been no changes in his routine that would prompt this. that''s why we''re calling in the big guns tomorrow.

today i had a pumpkin muffin for breakfast, tuna salad with fresh spinach on high fiber bread for lunch, and i''ve got an apple for a snack later. not sure about dinner yet. again, likely no workout as i have to check on the pony. these are the times when i wish he was closer - it''s a 45 minute drive each way.

dj, i wish i could get thru the day on so few calories, especially now that it''s so cold. i can do 1100-1200 in the summer, but i am so much hungrier in the winter. i think i am genetically programmed to hibernate, lol.
Hey there girlie! I go to Bally''s by the mall -- do you have a membership there?

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 1:57:19 PM
Author: Rosebud8506
The post before mine made me think of a question I had earlier and was wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me. I get up early in the morning, then shower & wash hair, then go work out in the evening and then I shower wash my hair again. Is it normal to do this? I hate washing my hair even once every day since I have color treated hair, but is there really any other way if you are sweating it up? I don''t want to lay in bed with icky once-sweaty hair, but its very damaging to my hair to have to wash twice daily.
I actually get aggrivated sometimes scheduling washing hair and the gym. My hair isn''t colored (for once, it''s been a while) but I do straighten it every day with a straightening iron, so I don''t want to dry it out too much more. Esp in the winter when it''s dry all the time. Same goes for too frequent showers in the winter, I hate when I end up showering 2x in a single day b/c my skin is just so dry and itchy!!!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I usually can go w/o washing it if i''m just doing pilates or yoga or something since I bring my own matt, but if i''m on the ellip. I get pretty sweaty like around the back of my neck. Also, if I''m using the bench press or something, even if I toss a towel down, it just grosses me out! lol. I just have heard about some of those news reports about how dirty the gyms are - and its just plain nasty!! lol

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
rosebud, i work out in the evenings too. i wash my hair when i get up in the mornings, then after i work out, i just rinse, no shampoo. i figure that gets enough sweat out that i feel ok getting into bed, but is less drying than washing twice a day.

sweetpea, i belong to the Y downtown cause it''s right next to my office. it is really crowded, though, especially right now with all the new year''s resolutionists and inability to exercise outside cause of the cold.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
shortblonde,

I get ready as usual in the morning and then when I work out during lunch I take a rinse shower (soap only on the body) and then wear my hair in a ponytail in the afternoon, and of course I put on fresh deoderant.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I sweat so much and so easily I have to shower when working out. So I do take two showers a day, but the one in the morning after the gym is when I wash my hair, and at night I do things like shave my legs. After both showers, especially the one at night, I slather on lotion. I hate feeling dirty or icky especially when I''m going to bed, so this way is kind of a pain but it works out well for me. On days when I don''t go to the gym I just take the one shower at night before bed and wash my hair then, but my hair isn''t treated or anything and is pretty healthy so even on the days when I end up washing it twice it does pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results