shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 26th March till 1st April

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all
35.gif

All WWTers are doing brilliantly! I just wanted to mention this week about the value of shaking up your exercise regime regularly. Our bodies are adaptable and quickly get used to the same routine and as a result we might be missing out on extra benefits, we need to keep challenging ourselves so we can get fitter and trimmer. Suggestions include trying handsfree on the elliptical and increased tension, intervals on the treadmill ( intermix faster and slower, up and down hill in intervals) and trying to lift heavier with weights. So just have a think about how the workouts could be adjusted to make them a little more challenging.

I had a good workout last night, to change my routine I am going to do elliptical only this week and alternate with the treadmill on each week for a month to see what that does. I did 45 mins on the elliptical yesterday and had a good tough workout so I am quite pleased with that!

Keep up the good work all!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Morning everyone,
I am feeling pretty down this morning b/c I did my weekly weigh in today instead of yesterday. I haven''t lost anything this week nor did I last week. I have done 5 days of exercise 3 weeks in a row now and nothing these past 2 weeks. I''m not sure what more I can do to see results! My back has even started bothering me due to this new workout intensity but I don''t want to stop my newfound motivation.
I just don''t understand why I haven''t even lost a pound!
7.gif
It is really hard to stay motivated w/no results.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, I know how you feel but PLEASE don''t be discouraged!!!! You have probably lost fat but it isn''t showing on the scale as you have built muscle, how do your clothes feel? If you have read on Mara''s journey, she could go a few weeks with working really hard and eating right and no weight loss - then BAM - 3 or 4 pounds would suddenly drop off her! So I know it is hard but keep going, you WILL see results soon!!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
hey dixie...hang in there....your fat is prob turning to muscle which weighs more....how are your clothes fitting? are they looser? do you feel better? the scale isn''t the sole indicator of success when getting your body fit and healthy. you will prob drop a few pounds all at once...mara had the same thing happen to her--and we''ve seen her great results...stick with it and you will see results before you know it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morning all!

The happy hubby made the most wonderful casserole last night with wild rice, shrimp, asparagus, mushrooms and artichoke hearts. It was supposed to contain a lot of butter and heavy cream but he improvised with less butter, regular milk and flour to get a good consistency, and it turned out so yummy!

This morning the scale was kind to me so I''m super motivated to be good, and I''ve got my food planned out for the day. Tonight is supposed to be a night off for me, but I might have to take a client out during one of the evenings this week when I was planning on going to the gym so things might get juggled around a bit.

Dixie, I totally understand where you''re coming from, but hang in there! As for your back bothering you, seriously, take it a little easier or you might really hurt yourself (this advice come from someone who knows, LOL!).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Morning all!

I tried on my "goal" clothes this weekend, and most of them fit! Woohoo! I''m not done yet, but that was totally encouraging.

DeeJay, that casserole sounds devine.

Lorelei, how''s the toe doing?

Dixie, as others have said, hang in there!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, fabulous advice as usual to switch it up sometimes...it's so easy to get into an exercise rut when something is working or starts to feel easier, sometimes you don't want to change it...why ruin a good thing? But your body likes to be kept on it's toes...sneaky thing. Congrats Ellen on goal clothes fitting, that's wonderful!

Dixie, I can only echo what the others have said. I ate right and worked out 4-6x a week for almost a few months before the scale registered any change. It DID get frustrating and at times I questioned what I was doing. I don't know that my way was the right way...because I have read from fitness trainers that have said you SHOULD see results within 2 weeks of a rigorous diet and exercise regime, so maybre you are eating too much? BUT I know that I had to do it the 'right way' for me, which was not knocking down my eating habits to almost nothing and working out. I wanted to still indulge and workout, so it may have taken me longer that way.

One thing I want to kind of throw out there for you guys to all think about is something I struggle with at times nowadays. When I was losing weight and really on my 'mission'...it was easy for me to turn down temptations and eat the right things and be good. I had a GOAL. I was going to get there...on my terms. I actually didn't eat a lot of my favorite things, cut down splurges hugely, etc etc. Still had a good life food wise but it was way different than before. Now that I reached and surpassed my goal, sometimes I have a really hard time with that maintenance stage. Now I don't have to deprive myself, but I struggle to find BALANCE with eating sometimes. Like with bread. It's not like I never have bread, but I really didn't allow myself to have it while losing....but I always thought 'oh well when I am finally where I want to be, aka thin and fit, I can eat bread again'. Well now I have bread but it's like my brain is starved for it! So I eat like 5 pieces when I really would rather have 2 and be fine with it.

So one thing to think about while you guys are losing is to really be sure that you are living a SUSTAINABLE food lifestyle. It's not sustainable to deprive yourself of fave foods to get to a point then think you can have it again and expect your body and mind to just easily adapt. For a while I thought gosh why am *I* having this maintenance issue. Then I found on calorie-count.com they have a maintenance community area and all these women were asking the same thing I was wondering...like HOW do you make that mental switch from 'no i can't have that' to 'yes i can have that but just some'...it's so hard to kind of change the mentality and find the right balance. I obviously don't want to gain weight, so along with the whole thing is a little niggling FEAR that if you indulge you might gain the weight back. Since the lifestyle I was living before was not working....then why would I want to go back to those habits? Rod can relate to this with his whole pizza fear I am sure...sometimes I think the same way about certain things. And then I think well I just won't eat it (bread, chocolate, whatever) and then I catch myself and think okay is that a *sustainable* thing for FOREVER? Because that is what I am thinking about now. I don't want to be a yoyo person with my weight. I am in it for the long haul.

Okay now I'm blathering on but just some thoughts from someone who has done the whole 'I'm on a mission' and cut calories and worked out like a fiend to get where I am now and am realizing it's not all sunshine and roses on this side as you also try to figure out the right balance for your new body and lifestyle. If anyone who has been in this stage has any tips (aka Rod, Lorelei etc) I would appreciate it...hehe. I have been looking online too to see how other people have kind of made this work and had it work out fabulously.

In the meantime I am going to continue as I have been which is just eating a little bit more and trying to be forgiving of when I overeat on something...and just sticking with my workout regime. And also I decided not to NOT let myself have things, aka this week I was going to do a no dessert thing to try to regain more self control. Thing is, I have self-control..I pull it out all the time. I think I need to be a little LESS self-controlling and allow myself more indulgences like bread or chocolate so that when the weekend comes or whatever, I am not mowing on the bread basket because I had none all week.

Anyhow, just my thoughts for this Monday AM! Hopefully maybe it helps someone out...!

Last nite's dinner at our neighbors was really yummy, too yummy...I ate way too much but it was great and a fabulous time. Also the gal is Slovakian and she was telling us about this amazing spice that she uses in a lot of her cooking, she added it to her salad dressing which was basially just olive oil, vinegar and this spice and it was SO GOOD!!!! I guess they have a ton of the spice so she gave us 1/2 a can. I can't wait to use it in my salad dressings and mix it in with things. She said she thinks it's mostly just like dried vegetables with some salt and pepper kinda thing. It smells pretty good!!

Breakfast this morning is steel cut TJ's oatmeal with sf maple syrup and cinnamon, and coffee. I tried the almond milk in my cereal yesterday for a snack and it was actually pretty good, doesn't taste like much on it's own really but with the cereal it was good. It's 20 less cals than ff milk but not as much protein as milk (though a little more fiber!) so I am going to use it in cereals but probably still use milk in my coffee and all that.

Hey DJ can you get HH to give you the recipe for his casserole for last nite? It sounds really yummy!! I'd love to try it.

I am planning our menus for this week. Yesterday at the gym I came across the Rachel Ray magazine, and while I am not the largest fan of her in general or her show (she just kind of bugs me)...the magazine had some great recipes...some were not super healthy but can be adapted, so I snitched the mag and am going to make copies of the recipes I want and take it back...there are about 10 or so that I want to try! One for ahi tuna herb burgers and I LOVE a good ahi tuna burger so I'm excited about that.

Random question but does anyone else get extra motivated when you are at the gym and you see people on the machines in front of you? Yesterday I was working out and there was this gal on the treadmill like 2 rows in front of me and she was a little chubby, going super slow on the machine...too slow actually, my first thought was what are you going to accomplish doing that? I mean it's great she is there, but make the time work for you girl! Anyway, she had love handles over her slightly too-tight pants and they were jiggling as she walked and I ended up focusing on them and thinking, 'THAT is why I am here'. Even subconsciously I think that I use lots of other people or visuals for inspiration, aka a really fit person and I think I want to look like that, in this case it was ..I don't want to look like that. So I work out. Anyway I wondered if anyone else ever got inspired by a positive or negative visual and ended up being more motivated to continue working our or workout HARDER for that session even.

It's supposed to rain today...but for now it's sunny so I am enjoying it...we'll see how the day progresses. I was going to go for another 4m walk today, but if it rains I will probably just go to the gym to get the calorie burn. Anyway hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday wherever you are!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mara! Good way of putting it, our bodies need to be kept on their toes if we are going to see positive results, so mixing it up is important to do regularly.

As for the maintenance stage, I am not the type of person who can have just a little chocolate, bread etc, so I find it best to be reasonably strict during the week then have a " good" treat at the weekend, something worthwhile like a large dessert etc! I find this works well for me and has done over time. Or you could have a little extra daily instead, but I find I prefer to spend my extra calories once a week and really enjoy them!
3.gif
I think have what you want in moderation with the foods you are missing Mara and keep an eye on it as you normally do, you will soon know what works for you and your body now is probably far more efficient at calorie and fat burning too now, so I think you could add some of these foods in without too much difficulty. So have some, but make them count when you do.

Congrats on the loose clothes Ellen, well done you!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
The toe is a bit better still thanks, but still a little painful, I think another week should do it.

Regarding motivation in the gym, when I was going last summer and didn't have the home one, there was this huge girl wobbling on the treadmill and she was HUGE, in a tight T shirt and workout spandexy things and she looked awful poor thing, and so uncomfortable while she was working out, bright red in the face, puffing and panting, plus too she was so young. She would have made 3 of me easily and she really made me think that whatever effort we put in to eating carefully and exercising is so worth it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Monday WWTers!

Some splurges over the weekend for me (mmmmmMargarita + Nachos) but back on track today. Two shout-outs ... that Cooking Light Fettucine Alfredo recipe on the Healthier Recipe thread -- YUMBLES!!! And Hershey''s 100 cal Pretzel Bars. PERFECT for PMS. Salty/Sweet/Satisfyingly Crunchtastic.

Finally did find the Vitalicious Brownies -- but I think I built them up too much expectation-wise. Maybe in Brownie Sundae form they''d rock -- but I''m not a Brownie Sundae person I guess. *shrug*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah lorelei i guess i will just stick with what i am doing...!! i mean it''s working, i just need to be more accepting of my sweet tooth and bread tooth hehee.

deco...surprised you didn''t love the brownies!! did you heat in the micro? these things are so fudgy...i love them! also you can slice them in half widthwise and do parfaits with pudding or fruit and whipped cream etc in a bowl. yum!

the weather is still holding sunny here...wonder when the rain will come?! i went out and repotted a few roses on the patio. i''m finally almost done, the patio looks like a mini forest of flowers and plants...i love it. spring is my fave time.

i am thinking i should just get out and go to the park now and do my walk earlier than i expected, and maybe i can get some good weather! hmmm. then i am going to whole foods to get a few goodies (another tiramisu cup or two to keep in the freezer!)...! lunch is going to be my fave whole foods salad with cranberries, walnuts, and blue cheese with mixed greens and a bit of TJ balsamic.

dinner tonite will be tandoori grilled chicken with barley and wild rice pilaf and grilled veggies. we''re staying simple tonite. and i saw this amazing looking dessert in a magazine where it''s basically just moscoto sweet dessert wine poured over various berries and soaked in a martini glass, super cute and just about 100 cals. sounds perfect for the finisher for tonite. hope everyone is having a great day!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone! Mara your maintenance story rings true for a lot of people I think. That''s why I am trying to not cut anything out that I love completely (being Italian, there is NO WAY I''m going to go without bread or rice) but rather be conscious of what a single portion is and stick to that. Or find ways to make it healthier on top of only eating a monitored portion, a la Cooking Light or whatever. My SIL is also trying to lose and is cutting out bread/rice/potatoes completely and I just think - is that really feasible for the rest of your life? Because that''s not feasible to me.

I did 45 min on the treadmill this morning and had special K/red berries + skim for breakfast, 1.5 servings. Lunch is a thin sliced mortadella sandwich on light wheat bread and a lowfat yogurt. Dinner will be onion bread pudding (cooking light) with a spinach salad/balsamic dressing/pecan/crumbled goat cheese. Dessert will be a mint choc No-Pudge brownie. Has anyone tried the No-Pudge mixes? I just got one last night - you only add nonfat yogurt to the mix and bake ''em off. I haven''t had one yet but the calories on 1/12 of an 8" pan (1 brownie) is 120, with no fat whatsoever.

Are these vitalicious brownies at Trader Joe''s? I haven''t seen them.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went down to the little concession store in my office building just to *see* what sorts of things she might have (as if it''s any different than the things that she ALWAYS has, LOL), but ended up coming back with just a diet Dr. Pepper and lottery ticket. While I was in the elvator I realized she gave me one dollar too little in change, but I''m considering that the price I had to pay for even *thinking* about getting something bad!

Congrats on your clothes Ellen!

Mara, I''ll post the recipe tonight. I won''t put it in the health recipe thread becuase I have a suspicion it WASN''T that healthy, even with the HH''s modifications, but it sure was good!

And I have this weird opposite reaction at the gym when I watch people. There is a woman that''s there ALL THE TIME and she''s on that readmill running like the hounds from hell are nipping at her heels, and she''s not exactly thin. I keep thinking, sh!t, if SHE can''t get thin working out non stop like this, what good is an hour a day on this stupid elliptical gonna do me, LOL!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2007 2:15:39 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I went down to the little concession store in my office building just to *see* what sorts of things she might have (as if it's any different than the things that she ALWAYS has, LOL), but ended up coming back with just a diet Dr. Pepper and lottery ticket. While I was in the elvator I realized she gave me one dollar too little in change, but I'm considering that the price I had to pay for even *thinking* about getting something bad!

Congrats on your clothes Ellen!

Mara, I'll post the recipe tonight. I won't put it in the health recipe thread becuase I have a suspicion it WASN'T that healthy, even with the HH's modifications, but it sure was good!

And I have this weird opposite reaction at the gym when I watch people. There is a woman that's there ALL THE TIME and she's on that readmill running like the hounds from hell are nipping at her heels, and she's not exactly thin. I keep thinking, sh!t, if SHE can't get thin working out non stop like this, what good is an hour a day on this stupid elliptical gonna do me, LOL!
She could be stuffing her face with rubbish Dee and that is why she isn't getting results and you ARE!!!
16.gif
I just finished 50 mins on the ellip.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your support! I definitely needed it today. I decided not to let the scale get me down and go into a tailspin in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, I''ve let the scale guide me sometimes and when I don''t see positive, I get upset and then just stop. So not today! I hate to say that I want to prove something to the scale but I do.. silly, I know but I want the darned thing to go down. So I did some wall pushups while here at work and then walked down the stairs vs. taking the elevator. I figure every little thing helps, even if it won''t make the scale move, it makes me feel better.
Plus, I really want to go shopping but I won''t allow myself to buy in my current size. There was a great sale this week and I saw some fantastic suit''s so I definitely think about that to keep me going.
As far as the back issue, I am going to start swimming once/wk so that will take some of the workout stress off my back. Then 2 days at the gym and the other 2 at home. I think it''s the Tae Bo tapes that cause the pain but they are my favorite. So annoying!
I''d like to say my clothes feel much better but they''re about the same, maybe a bit looser but I could be fooling myself to thinking that.
I''ve been trying to change my routine a bit too and added a different elliptical machine to my routine so I switch off on my 2 days/wk there, one w/the arms and one w/o. I also do a different routine on the no arms machine sometimes. I like the variety!
Mara, it''s good to hear that the scale doesn''t always respond as we''d like. It is frustrating and I also don''t eat perfectly so that could be why. But I do think I''m w/in my target calorie/fat grams range so it''s Annoying!! But I''m not letting this get me down. And I feel like I''ve finally gotten into a groove of working out 4-5 x/wk so it''s got to happen sooner or later. One thing that bugs me is that I could easily maintain at 3x/week so come on, 5x and nothing.. geez!

At the gym, generally the people don''t motivate me but I do think about how you guys are working about all the time, doing 40, 50, 60 mins. on various machines and that has helped push me a few minutes longer lately. Plus, since I haven''t seen the loss on the scale, I push a couple more mins. and hope it is making some difference somewhere.

FG, is the No-Pudge mix in the regular grocery store?

Ellen, congrats on the clothes fitting! That is definitely great motivation!

Thanks again everyone!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Dixie - I found them in the regular grocery store. They also have a website www.nopudge.com. (It has a list of stores that carry the product, by state.) I only saw them recently here, but 5 years ago I also saw them in the regular grocery store in TX.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I do think about once I get to maintenance, how will I know how much/often I can eat certain things before I start gaining. I''m not a big sweet eater, so desserts won''t be the problem. (random observation, since cutting out almost all sugar, I made lasagna in which I use Italian sausage, and put like a tsp. of sugar to cut the acid, and it tasted SO sweet to me. Not bad, but it was much more noticable) Don''t eat that much bread either. For me it will be pasta and potatoes.

Guess I''ll cross that bridge when I come to it..

And thanks all on the congrats. I really can''t believe I have lost that much already. Didn''t even have to "suck in" on most. I was like, GET OUT.
9.gif

Lorelei, glad to hear it''s somewhat better.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Dixie - I was working out 5X a week for 50-65 minutes each for months and seeing no movement. Honestly I had to track my calories really strictly and carefully to start seeing change, but it has certainly worked - I''m down a total of 24 lbs since the beginning of January. But that''s been eating 1200-1400 cals per day every day except about 7-10 days worth of splurging over that whole 3 month time period. The doctors I talked to my lab have said that weight loss ends up being about 90% diet and only about 10% exercise. The exercise has tons of other health benefits so its still important to do, but its very hard to lose weight doing exercise alone.

I think its fantastic that you are not letting it get you down and just giving up though - that''s probably the most important thing of all!!

Mara - what you said about maintaining I think is so important. I have been that yo-yo girl since I graduated from high school, and I know that its really bad for me, so I''m determined this time to really stay put once I''ve hit my goal. I''ve moved my goal higher than its been in the past, which I''m hoping will make it more realistic to maintain, but I think what you say is so important and true, and I think even for those of us who are still losing its really important to put some thought into now, because its so easy to gain the weight back, or to let it run your life, neither of which is going to make you feel good in the long run. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about that and your struggle with that - I think its such an important piece of the puzzle and its helpful to hear someone''s take on it who''s going through it right now.

I also agree with you re: seeing other people''s bodies and being motivated. Although I think that can get unhealthy sometimes - as a ballet dancer when I was younger I was obssessed with other people''s fitness and bodies, and it was really unhealthy for me. Its also hard because I think I tend to idealize these slender, small-framed long-legged women and the truth is that I have a pretty big frame for a relatively short woman (my elbow measurement was higher than the range on that chart you posted last week), and I''m never going to look *quite* the way I want to. But I think it can be healthy as well, like seeing that really overweight person, or I saw one of those makeover shows a week ago where the girl couldn''t find clothes big enough to fit her in "regular" stores, and I think its healthy to remind yourself that you never want to get to that point.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great Intro to the week Lorelei! And you are absolutely right about mixing it up and our bodies getting used to the same routines. It''s one of the things our trainer worked hard to instill. Mixing it up is necessary to make progress.

Mara: You know I was major league into denying myself anything fun when I was working on losing weight. Now that I''m where I wanted to be, I have relaxed a bit, but I do still try very hard to be good. The best example of Rod going overboard as you recall was all of the sudden I was eating a Tart Cherry Scone EVERY day, and then you actually helped bring me to my senses. The scale was actually beginning to tip in the wrong direction. So, I made an immdediate change and the scale went back to the comfort level I expect.

Dixie: Do not feel low about what''s happening. It''s absolutely true that muscle weighs more than fat. And the body fights real hard to maintain a weight it feels comfortable with, but the scale will move and it will move in the direction you want it to, but you HAVE to continue working out and eating healthy. I''m sure you''ve made great progress, just give it time.

Mara: I do use other people to help me be more motivated on the ellitptical. I know is sounds terrible but in our gym here in NC., the ellpticals are in two rows and I find myself fixating on someone in front of me who may be going slower or is often fatter. I should feel bad that they are inspiration to me, but truth be told they are. Yesterday for example, there was a man and his wife in front of me. The man was hugely overweight. His belly and handles jiggled with every push and he lumbered so slowly that I wondered what he was actually accomplishing. Then, I realized why I pushed so hard on the ellitpical and felt so good that I was traveling at 13 miles/hour while he was barely moving. I suppose I should feel bad, but I don''t. LOL

I''m at work and they''re treating me like I''m not here, which is just fine with me. I''ve been IM''ing with friends, took my car to the dealer for service, picked it up, lingered at lunch. This is just plain goofy and I''m just so ready to be gone. I am taking Wednesday off to be with Charlie on his birthday. We''re going to work out at the gym and then have massages. I''m looking forward to that.

Since it''s Monday, we don''t workout at the gym, and we''re going for Sushi like always.

Have a great day everyone!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m totally motivated by kick a** workout people around me. If they''re next to me, I''ll "race" them. Hehehe. Mental mind games makes workouts go faster!

Dixie, count me in as one of those whose scale isn''t exactly flying down to my goal weight. It''s happening slowly...excruciatingly so. However, I can''t diet. I can only make a lifestyle change that works for me. For me that means eating decently and exercising over the week (I consider it like "work" and just what I have to do) and enjoying myself on weekends. It is fully possible that my weekends derail my weekday efforts, however I don''t find this lifestyle difficult, and I certainly haven''t gained any weight or inches. So if this means I stay exactly how I am forever and don''t gain weight, I''d consider that a success too. I feel great, healthy, and STRONG. I was doing some advanced pilates moves the other day and was amazed at how my core has really toughened up. No more lower back pain!

I just can''t survive long term on 1200 calories a day. To me, that''s not a lifestyle modification, that is a diet...which works for a lot of people who can maintain afterwards, but not for me.

I ran out of honey today, so I did use some knott''s boysenberry jam (1TB) and YUMMY! No splenda needed even. 1 TB is 50 calories so that is even less than 1TB of honey. Great tip!

Mara and Rod, I saw this article last night and thought of you both. It''s about how to cope with a boss who is a bully. I think in both your cases you made the right decision. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17584729/

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 3:58:23 PM
Author: Rod
I do use other people to help me be more motivated on the ellitptical. I know is sounds terrible but in our gym here in NC., the ellpticals are in two rows and I find myself fixating on someone in front of me who may be going slower or is often fatter. I should feel bad that they are inspiration to me, but truth be told they are. Yesterday for example, there was a man and his wife in front of me. The man was hugely overweight. His belly and handles jiggled with every push and he lumbered so slowly that I wondered what he was actually accomplishing. Then, I realized why I pushed so hard on the ellitpical and felt so good that I was traveling at 13 miles/hour while he was barely moving. I suppose I should feel bad, but I don't. LOL
Rod, of course you have a right to your own opinion, but I must say your post was somewhat upsetting to me. Maybe because I am on the wrong side of the scale right now, as opposed to when I was my ideal weight and working out consistently, but this type of talk is why overweight people are intimidated to go to the gym or feel bad about themselves when they do go. That you take inspiration from overweight people is not a bad thing. But these people already know that some others at the gym are going to be looking at them with disdain and to reinforce that isn't exactly helpful. The fact that the man was working out at all, whether it be slowly or not, should be commended, not questioned as to how much he was actually accomplishing. I'm sure he was burning calories, whether it be as much as you, well, that's not the point. The point is, he was moving, not sitting on the couch.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 3:01:59 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Hey Dixie - I found them in the regular grocery store. They also have a website www.nopudge.com. (It has a list of stores that carry the product, by state.) I only saw them recently here, but 5 years ago I also saw them in the regular grocery store in TX.

FG, i make them on the weekends when the big kids are here to help eat them. they are a big hit at my house. I''ve even got my sister and a few friends onto them. i know dee jay and mara both have made them too. they are VERY YUMMY
18.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 2:58:36 PM
Author: dixie94
Thank you everyone for your support! I definitely needed it today. I decided not to let the scale get me down and go into a tailspin in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, I''ve let the scale guide me sometimes and when I don''t see positive, I get upset and then just stop. So not today! I hate to say that I want to prove something to the scale but I do.. silly, I know but I want the darned thing to go down. So I did some wall pushups while here at work and then walked down the stairs vs. taking the elevator. I figure every little thing helps, even if it won''t make the scale move, it makes me feel better.

Plus, I really want to go shopping but I won''t allow myself to buy in my current size. There was a great sale this week and I saw some fantastic suit''s so I definitely think about that to keep me going.

As far as the back issue, I am going to start swimming once/wk so that will take some of the workout stress off my back. Then 2 days at the gym and the other 2 at home. I think it''s the Tae Bo tapes that cause the pain but they are my favorite. So annoying!

I''d like to say my clothes feel much better but they''re about the same, maybe a bit looser but I could be fooling myself to thinking that.

I''ve been trying to change my routine a bit too and added a different elliptical machine to my routine so I switch off on my 2 days/wk there, one w/the arms and one w/o. I also do a different routine on the no arms machine sometimes. I like the variety!

Mara, it''s good to hear that the scale doesn''t always respond as we''d like. It is frustrating and I also don''t eat perfectly so that could be why. But I do think I''m w/in my target calorie/fat grams range so it''s Annoying!! But I''m not letting this get me down. And I feel like I''ve finally gotten into a groove of working out 4-5 x/wk so it''s got to happen sooner or later. One thing that bugs me is that I could easily maintain at 3x/week so come on, 5x and nothing.. geez!

At the gym, generally the people don''t motivate me but I do think about how you guys are working about all the time, doing 40, 50, 60 mins. on various machines and that has helped push me a few minutes longer lately. Plus, since I haven''t seen the loss on the scale, I push a couple more mins. and hope it is making some difference somewhere.

FG, is the No-Pudge mix in the regular grocery store?

Ellen, congrats on the clothes fitting! That is definitely great motivation!

Thanks again everyone!
Resident yoga person here says... do some yoga and it will help your back pain go away. There are specific stretches designed to help that area and if you think it''s the Tae Bo that''s causing the pain, maybe do only half Tae Bo and spend the other half on yoga back stretches. My back was a mess before I started doing yoga, and now it doesn''t hurt at all anymore.

*M*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 4:22:46 PM

I do use other people to help me be more motivated on the ellitptical. I know is sounds terrible but in our gym here in NC., the ellpticals are in two rows and I find myself fixating on someone in front of me who may be going slower or is often fatter. I should feel bad that they are inspiration to me, but truth be told they are. Yesterday for example, there was a man and his wife in front of me. The man was hugely overweight. His belly and handles jiggled with every push and he lumbered so slowly that I wondered what he was actually accomplishing. Then, I realized why I pushed so hard on the ellitpical and felt so good that I was traveling at 13 miles/hour while he was barely moving. I suppose I should feel bad, but I don''t. LOL
Rod, of course you have a right to your own opinion, but I must say your post was somewhat upsetting to me. Maybe because I am on the wrong side of the scale right now, as opposed to when I was my ideal weight and working out consistently, but this type of talk is why overweight people are intimidated to go to the gym or feel bad about themselves when they do go. That you take inspiration from overweight people is not a bad thing. But these people already know that some others at the gym are going to be looking at them with disdain and to reinforce that isn''t exactly helpful. The fact that the man was working out at all, whether it be slowly or not, should be commended, not questioned as to how much he was actually accomplishing. I''m sure he was burning calories, whether it be as much as you, well, that''s not the point. The point is, he was moving, not sitting on the couch.
Actually I have to say I am totally motivated by big people at the gym too, but for the opposite reason as Rod. I am so sad when I see overweight people gorging on unhealthy food, so when I see them at the gym knowing that people are probably looking at them and they still are diligent, I think that is awesome. Makes me think if they can get off their butts, I can too.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah TG, when I see people struggling but at least trying, I just want to shout YOU GO GIRL/ YOU GO BOY, major props for trying to do something.

I just think it''s important, even for anyone randomly reading, to know that doing something is fantastic, no matter how slow or fast they are, or how much they do or don''t jiggle. I think it''s easy to forget how we felt when we were that person (bigger, or smaller, or whatever), and sometimes it wouldn''t hurt to remember.

I''m not blasting you Rod, don''t get me wrong - but it just sounded insensitive. Not all of us out there are walking ''after'' photos.
1.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2007 4:13:54 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I''m totally motivated by kick a** workout people around me. If they''re next to me, I''ll ''race'' them. Hehehe. Mental mind games makes workouts go faster!

Dixie, count me in as one of those whose scale isn''t exactly flying down to my goal weight. It''s happening slowly...excruciatingly so. However, I can''t diet. I can only make a lifestyle change that works for me. For me that means eating decently and exercising over the week (I consider it like ''work'' and just what I have to do) and enjoying myself on weekends. It is fully possible that my weekends derail my weekday efforts, however I don''t find this lifestyle difficult, and I certainly haven''t gained any weight or inches. So if this means I stay exactly how I am forever and don''t gain weight, I''d consider that a success too. I feel great, healthy, and STRONG. I was doing some advanced pilates moves the other day and was amazed at how my core has really toughened up. No more lower back pain!

I just can''t survive long term on 1200 calories a day. To me, that''s not a lifestyle modification, that is a diet...which works for a lot of people who can maintain afterwards, but not for me.

I ran out of honey today, so I did use some knott''s boysenberry jam (1TB) and YUMMY! No splenda needed even. 1 TB is 50 calories so that is even less than 1TB of honey. Great tip!

Mara and Rod, I saw this article last night and thought of you both. It''s about how to cope with a boss who is a bully. I think in both your cases you made the right decision. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17584729/
Thanks TG.......The emotional dammage a bully boss inflicts is just not worth the toll on one''s health. My boss has been a roller coaster this week. I know his feelings are hurt (oh boo hoo), but he should be more mature and handle rejection better. One minute he won''t speak to me. The next, he''s in my office asking my adice on what''s really wrong with his business. It''s like I''m on some kind of halucinagenic drug. It''s a shame it didn''t work out for me here, but ultimately, we''ll be better off in our home in Tampa anyway.

BTW........I agree that 1200 calories a day is too low for an adult. It''s almost starvation and while one will surely lose weight starving themselves, it''s just not a healthy thing or wise. Reducing calories, eating healthier and exercising are the key''s to success.

Thanks again for the link TG
35.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! I have to say that how I feel now vs. how I felt this morning after being on the scale is a 100% difference. I really appreciate the kind words and motivation!
FG, I may try that mix, however, I worry about keeping anything too tasty in my house. I tend to eat it until it''s gone and even think about eating it when I''ve had my share already.. it''s obsessive but I try to be honest about my feelings toward chocolate! I would easily eat it frequently through the day if I could!! But I may try them when I''m baking for someone else so that I get a specific amount and no more.
Amber, congrats on all of your weight loss! I do find that sometimes I eat little things that I don''t always track that might contain more sugar than fat grams or calories. I bet that has something to do w/it so I''m going to try and work on that too. It''s just hard to eat good all the time!!
32.gif
I really start craving chocolatey, sugary things after awhile but haven''t mastered willpower to eat them in small amounts at a time. It''s a struggle but I''m getting better so that''s motivation for me too! It''s also helping my self-confidence b/c for so long I''ve felt bad at myself for not doing what I need to do. It feels good to do better even if the scale won''t cooperate.
TG, I am trying not to diet either and do the lifestyle changes so today I had a southwest chicken salad for lunch which isn''t the best in the world since it had cheese and avocado but not the worst either. Maybe that''s the reason I''m not losing!
33.gif

Poptart, I would love to do yoga but the classes are never convenient for my schedule. I may just have to try tapes b/c I really enjoy it when I can find the time to fit it in.
Rod, thanks! I have to remember that fact about muscle vs. fat. It makes me happy!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2007 4:42:40 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 3/26/2007 4:22:46 PM

I do use other people to help me be more motivated on the ellitptical. I know is sounds terrible but in our gym here in NC., the ellpticals are in two rows and I find myself fixating on someone in front of me who may be going slower or is often fatter. I should feel bad that they are inspiration to me, but truth be told they are. Yesterday for example, there was a man and his wife in front of me. The man was hugely overweight. His belly and handles jiggled with every push and he lumbered so slowly that I wondered what he was actually accomplishing. Then, I realized why I pushed so hard on the ellitpical and felt so good that I was traveling at 13 miles/hour while he was barely moving. I suppose I should feel bad, but I don''t. LOL
Rod, of course you have a right to your own opinion, but I must say your post was somewhat upsetting to me. Maybe because I am on the wrong side of the scale right now, as opposed to when I was my ideal weight and working out consistently, but this type of talk is why overweight people are intimidated to go to the gym or feel bad about themselves when they do go. That you take inspiration from overweight people is not a bad thing. But these people already know that some others at the gym are going to be looking at them with disdain and to reinforce that isn''t exactly helpful. The fact that the man was working out at all, whether it be slowly or not, should be commended, not questioned as to how much he was actually accomplishing. I''m sure he was burning calories, whether it be as much as you, well, that''s not the point. The point is, he was moving, not sitting on the couch.
Actually I have to say I am totally motivated by big people at the gym too, but for the opposite reason as Rod. I am so sad when I see overweight people gorging on unhealthy food, so when I see them at the gym knowing that people are probably looking at them and they still are diligent, I think that is awesome. Makes me think if they can get off their butts, I can too.
But the sad part is I usually see an overwieght person only once at the gym. If I saw them really trying to workout multiple times, I''d cheer them on too. I am sad when I see someone hugely overweight. But after one workout, they so rarely come back. At least I so rarely ever see them come back.
38.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dixie - def give them a try. Not trying to be an enabler here
17.gif
but there''s even instructions on the side of the box to only make ONE at a time in the microwave so there''s no way you can eat the whole pan.
12.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 5:15:10 PM

But the sad part is I usually see an overwieght person only once at the gym. If I saw them really trying to workout multiple times, I'd cheer them on too. I am sad when I see someone hugely overweight. But after one workout, they so rarely come back. At least I so rarely ever see them come back.
38.gif
Dunno Rod...maybe the feel the looks they are getting (and not all of them would be supportive looks) are demoralizing enough for them to be chased away? Either way, I agree it's sad when they only go once.

ETA, I knew a gal who once said she had to get in better shape so she could start going to the gym. I felt awful for her.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i didn't take rod's comment in a negative way. i definitely think when people are at the gym i am like 'that's awesome at least you aren't at home on the couch'...BUT on the other hand i also think 'come on put some backbone into'!!! but yeah who knows, maybe there is a health problem that is keeping them from really working out, but man sometimes i want to go jack up people's treadmills and stuff to get them to actually break a sweat. i think i'd make a brutal trainer hehe. however, i think the whole looking around goes both ways because i look around and think 'i don't want to look like that'...but on the other hand a lot of overweight people look with disdain at super fit people because they are SURE they are at the gym all the time and have nothing else to do OR feel intimidated by them or give them attitudes sometimes. gym politics doesn't really interest me though...really i am just here to work out and i don't even talk to anyone else. however, when i do look around, mentally i am glad that i am not in that place anymore. there is actually one gal that i see at the gym sometimes and she is REALLY overweight. she can barely get on the bicycle, her husband has to help her because her lower half is so big. it is sad...but she's there! and that IS awesome. on the other hand there is a really anorexic looking girl i see all the time, so there really are all types at the gym.

anyway, on a more positive topic...went out to the park and walked 4.25 miles...the sun was still out and it was nice and warm! by the time i got back to the car it was starting to get cloudy so i timed it perfectly. went to trader joes and whole foods and stocked up on goodies for this week. got some more fage, and also found a 'spicy egg white salad' at TJ's that would be great on toasted bread for a sandwich! it's only 100 cals for the entire 6oz container (hummus container size).

then i found a vanilla bean gelato at WF that is 120 cals for 1/2c! all the other ones were like 230. they also have a coconut one for 122! i love vanilla bean gelato so i was jazzed to find this one. it's in a small pint too so hardly takes up any freezer space which is key right now, haha. also this WF did not have the tiramisu cups, ugh! or the vitalicious (by the way the vitalicious brownies right now i have only seen at safeway, in the organic frozen aisle...vitalicious's website said WF had it but i have gone to 2 and not found them) either. i also found some sort of green jasmine tea in a bottle that is unsweetened with no calories yet full antioxidant properties, i am going to throw it in the fridge for cold drinking! got some pearl barley for my rice mix tonite, and chicken for dinner, some fruits, some st nectare cheese (so yummy with fuji sliced apple!!), at TJ's i got some crumpets because my friend made these mini pizzas the other night with crumpets and they were SO GOOD! one crumpet is just 90 cals and it's larger than an english muffin, she just put some jarred sauce on it and then some mozz cheese...i am going to put mushrooms on mine but total it's about 140 or so per baked so one would make a tasty lunch with some fruit or i can make a bunch of them for greg and i for dinner. also i can eat the crumpets for breakfast. yummy.

oh and monarch i checked out the TJ tiramisu nutritional info in the frozen aisle! it's only 220 cals per 1/8 slice of the cake. but not sure how large it is...but it doesn't SEEM that bad hehe. also they have these yummy looking chocolate ice cream bon bons that were 4 for 140 cals i think but i thought uh oh i will eat like 1/2 the box.

FG the no pudge brownies are awesome. i actually made mine as muffins but they came out like little hockey pucks but they work great that way as 'single serving' like for throwing into a cup with some ice cream or something. yummy. also you can make them with pumpkin instead of yogurt ala hungry girl style. they have a great consistency, just like regular full calorie fat brownies. my teenage sister loved them so much she made them on her own too. i actually just bought the raspberry one and it's in the pantry for maybe later this week. however the vitalicious ones work great for me also because they are 100 cals for the same size as the no pudge ones end up being, and they are 6g fiber and whole wheat, so they count for more 'nutritional' value and they are fudgy and have NUTS on the top which i love.

gosh all this talk of food, my fave thing lol! i just had a salad for lunch and might make myself a crumpet pizza for snack in about an hour or so. the rain clouds are gathering so it should pour any minute now, glad i am back home and settled in now for the rest of the day.

oh and dixie, are you tracking your foods and calories? because it's really easy to think you are eating all the right things but maybe you aren't. and that COULD be either slowing or stopping progress. it was finally when i started actually tracking that i realized what i was really eating. sometimes just eating healthier is not enough...so you might want to track for a week just to see if it makes a difference. it sounds like you know what your pitfalls are but maybe they are keeping you from your goals. just a thought.

TG, i eat the fage with low-sugar jam and a packet of splenda and it's AWESOME. so far my second fave way. the first fave is the better n'peanut butter with syrup hehehe. mini pb cup but yogurty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results