shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 26th Feb till 4th March

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 2:48:18 PM
Author: decodelighted
Oh you guys!
3.gif
I just read this whole thread & am STARVING for DONUTS & the like ... I thought this was the *Healthy* zone
9.gif

Anyhoo ... I *was*
2.gif
planning to start hanging out here ... as DH & I hooked up my treadmill last night for the first time since I moved in FIVE YEARS AGO. And I think it''d gotten about 3 hours worth of use in the SEVEN years I''ve owned it HA!.

Yes, having a WEDDING or wearing a WEDDING DRESS wasn''t enough to lure me into the workout zone but *blush* my RINGS getting snug apparently is.
20.gif
25.gif
. Also, some trips to the city lately where I really just couldn''t keep up with NYC life the way I used to. And the SHOCKING onset of middle age paunch. I''ve always been a curvy, big bum gal ... but big bum -AND- big gut is just not CUTE.
29.gif

ALSO -- turning 40 Sept 1st & would very much LOVE to be svelter & healthier & stronger by then. So, as of March 1st ... it''s SIX MONTHS & counting.

Lots of reasons VS lots of excuses. Pscope Pals, help me help me! Pretty please!
35.gif
Welcome Deco! Yay, glad to see you on here.

And btw...my rings getting tight was one of the big reasons I came back on here too. The other was that my elastic workout sweats were getting tight too!
6.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 3:11:08 PM
Author: TravelingGal
btw...my rings getting tight was one of the big reasons I came back on here too.
Thanks for sharing that ... it somehow makes the whole thing seem "human" rather than SHAMEFUL!!
1.gif

Woo-hoo ... 1st 30 minute treadmill session DONE! (During Dr. Phil - ha!) We set up a TV & Cable there last night too but no Tivo/VCR ... YET.
2.gif
I''m afraid I lost some "hand" with the DH though ... as he was able to pull out the gear to instantly set up extra cable hookup from one of those random boxes of stuff I''m always begging him to trash.
20.gif

Score One for FITNESS
Minus One for CLUTTER-MANAGMENT
31.gif

MARA ... I *did* manage to find canned pumpkin so muffin making is on my agenda today too! And last night I snuck whole wheat pasta into the sauce before DH was the wiser. Teensy steps, hopefully will snowball ... ummmm SNOWBALLS ...
11.gif
25.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, Deco -- good for you!!
36.gif

By the way, TGal, canned pumpkin is usually in the baking good aisle in most supermarkets, I think. That''s where I found it. TJs also has it.

I had squirreled away one of those muffins for myself after sharing the rest with coworkers, and I gotta say that it is WAY better today than it was last night fresh out of the oven! Next time I won''t be so quick to share them all!
2.gif
I think it tastes more just like normal chocolate cake today, whereas last night I thought they were a bit funky-tasting (warm pumpkin I guess). Definitely two-thumbs up
emthup.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh ya ela...definitely better the next day, they taste like chocolate cake to me after a few hours or so. with a smidge of something but yeah it's hard to place it unless you know what it is!

lunch is campbells savory chicken and wild rice soup, picked out some strange looking not quite savory chicken pieces ... also at the store we got the 100 cal carrot cake hostess packs and the yellow cake with chocolate ones, so we are going to test those out next, we each bought a pack and we'll split the boxes so we have 3 of each pack, woo hoo. i will sooo miss my coworker when i am gone, she totally makes life here more than bearable, we have become good friends...i think she will have a hard time when i am gone as well...even though she plans to leave soon. oh at the store, also got some new grapes and a bag of broccoli florets for microwaving and eating at some point.

dinner tonite...not sure...i had TJ pizzas down but it might depend..i have been thinking about kraft mac and cheese..the way i make it with 1% or 0% milk and about 1/4 of the butter it actually calls for is quite 'healthy' and i read an online comparison of kraft original to all the newfangled ones out there like annies organic white cheddar etc and kraft was no better or worse than they were, and in some instances i think it was even better, aka less cals and fat or something. anyway...we'll see. pizzas might just be easier.
5.gif

hitting the gym up after work so hopefully my energy stays up...and then tomorrow is another rest day...before i start 4 straight days of workouts on thurs-sunday!

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
welcome deco
1.gif

coda, i''m with you on the weekend thing too! i just give up on the weekends, and even though i don''t drink very much (a glass of wine here or there) the DESSERTS are what get me! I think adding another day of cardio will definitely help, as well as trying to be more cautious on the weekends. i''m going to try to diversify a little bit too. my next marathon is in end of april, so all i do is run, run, run. i''m lucky that the weather is pretty nice here in CA. I hope the weather clears up for you soon, cause there is nothing like running and breathing the fresh, crisp air.

mara, that is interesting what you read. i totally agree. i am SO bad after my long weekend training runs because i am SO hungry and i figure i earned the calories. also, i always do these runs on sat mornings, and we always go out on saturday night. after a long work week and a long workout, i justify having the bread, the appetizer, the entree, the glass of wine, and the dessert! then on sunday i''ll be exhuasted and i''ll be lazy and lie around at eat. i need to find a way to get this under control. i also workout at a high-intensity 5-6 days a week, so just in that i get hungry. i''m curious to see how quickly i''ll lose weight now that i''ll be working out even more (ramping up for the race) and really trying to restrict my caloric intake. i guess i''ll have to wait...and keep at it!

day #2...I''ve been good so far. had some water, celery, pb cookie 100 cal snack pack, and an LC for lunch, but i still feel STARVED
8.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to see you Alj, Deco and Coda!!!
36.gif
36.gif

I hope you check in often and let us help you with some tips and encouragement. That's the thing that helps the most here. We really offer encouragement to each other to achieve whatever level of fitness and health we're seeking. Some of us are maniacle (guilty as charged!!) and some are more casual, but we all have in our heads we want to live longer healthier lives. So, maybe all it might take is having your ring fit too tight for comfort to get you on the treadmill, but we'll be here to cheer you on!

So, Mara........I went to Panera for lunch all by myself and there it was just staring at me. Taunting me actually, but I stood up to it and passed it by..........No Tart Cherry Scone passed my lips today. Funny, but we were writing about donuts and scones just last night, and then on the news last night was a segment about the "Fattening of America" and how incredibly caloric even healthy "looking" foods can be, such as OH NO MR. BILL...........SCONES! The point of the segment was that some things contain enough calories to count for all or half of a persons caloric intake in one fell swoop. Now, I know a Tart Cherry Scone from Panera doesn't equal half of Rod's daily intake, but 380 calories is a lot of calories and something I need to think about before indulging as often as I had been.
32.gif

Thanks for the PS Fairy Dust everyone. The showings are tomorrow, but man oh man do we need to get this over with. I got an email this morning from the manager of our condo building and they evidently had a coctail party for all new residents last night (remember, our condo was a brand new highrise) and I guess since we were the absolute first people to have moved in the building last June, people were commenting that they missed us. So, we got this email this morning asking when we were coming home. That really makes it so hard to be gone. We really did love our home and the people we lived with were really nice. Anyway, thanks again for the dust. Hopefully, it will work for us.

I sat down to have my healthy high fiber cereal this morning and I felt my back tighten in "that" way that let's me know it could go out on me. While it's a bit sore this afternoon, I'm not sure it's sore enough to completely skip a workout, so I'm going to the gym as planned, but will take it a bit easier on weights so I don't pull my back completely out. I'll let you know how it goes when I get home later. I think it's just the stress of the temporary living that's causing my back to suffer a little as I tend to internalize stress in my lower back. I'm sure once I get going at the gym, things will loosen up and I'll be fine.

I hope everyone's having a good Tuesday.

Rod

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ov..i'll write in here what i wrote last week about HOW people are actually spending their caloric intake. for example 100 calories. how do you spend it? was that 100 cal peanut butter pack that good? that filling? for that same 100 cals you could have eaten something like a whole cup of carrots or 2cups of grapes or 3/4c of fiber one cereal or a 100 cal pack of popcorn (5cups). this is how i think about my eating. it takes a little bit of work but there is really no reason that anyone should feel starved on something like 1500ish cals a day. it just depends on how you spend the cals. i can eat 1500 cals a day and be fine, feel satiated, full etc with working out 5x a week and burning like 2500 cals. a lot of it is mental when you feel hungry and know you shouldn't be and yes flat out some days you just NEED to have more, your body wants it. but in general, how people SPEND their calorie allotment is huge. i also do the bad thing something and snack on something that is just not that satisfying for what it is. but typically i know i'm doing that..so at least i am educated on what i am eating.

the 100 cal packs for me are kind of a blessing and a curse. some are way more filling and satisfying than others but they are all so tempting, i mean it's ONLY 100 cals right? i got the 100 cal peanut butter crisps or whatever and i was like omg 100 cals for like 10 of these paper thin peanut butter flavored things? totally not worth it. i never ate another pack. they are still sitting in the pantry. the 100 cal popcorn packs are 5c of popcorn...way more filling stomach wise. or eat fruit, or steamed veggies (buy a pre-pack of broccoli and stick it in the microwave)

if you feel super hungry, fill your day with fiber. it really does help keep you full (unless your body gets used to it like mine did argh!)...and many high fiber things don't contain that many calories depending. also one more comment. the LC you ate. how many cals was it and what was in it? the reason i asked is because i realized that i could spend 350 cals on something like a brick oven LC pizza and it doesn't keep me any more full than eating a 180 cal chicken and potatoes LC. so basically i'm *wasting* 170 cals that i could have in the form of another snack aka a luna bar packed with nutrients and fiber and protein...instead of the pizza.

so that's just another example of how you can kind of think about spending calories like it's cash. you have X amount for the day, how are you going to use it. and how does it best benefit your body and of course you need to get a little something something in there for your taste buds too....so don't go cold turkey on yummy stuff, just make it really count!!
5.gif

ROD...KUDOS on passing up the tart cherry scone !!!! not that you should do that all the time but self control can be fun sometimes (only sometimes!).

oh i forgot to write in here that the other day at the store the girl scouts were out in full force. luckily i had no cash on me because i would have caved!! i thought for a brief second about going to get cash at an ATM or using my debit card to get cash then i was like NO! must bypass cookies. so i did. THEN the donuts came home that night. argh!

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 4:07:43 PM
Author: Mara

dinner tonite...not sure...i had TJ pizzas down but it might depend..i have been thinking about kraft mac and cheese..the way i make it with 1% or 0% milk and about 1/4 of the butter it actually calls for is quite ''healthy'' and i read an online comparison of kraft original to all the newfangled ones out there like annies organic white cheddar etc and kraft was no better or worse than they were, and in some instances i think it was even better, aka less cals and fat or something. anyway...we''ll see. pizzas might just be easier.
5.gif

Mara ~ I still love my Kraft mac-n-cheese! I make it like you said -- 0% milk and then I use 1 tablespoon of margarine, and it really isn''t that bad for you. To make more of a well-rounded meal of it, I usually add broccoli and cut up soy hot dogs (I don''t eat meat), and top it off with grated parmesan. In fact, this is what I had for lunch today. It''s sort of comfort food for me, as I remember having mac-n-cheese and hot dogs when I was a kid.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool Mara...that will be my afternoon break reading. I have a concall at 3 I have to prep for now...

I did my noontime walk, yay! Tomorrow is rollerblading and Thursday is gym. Friday I already have my pilates appt, so that takes care of the week. That should be about 2000 cal burned for the week if I stick to plan.

Deco, believe me...it made me panic. I thought, man...if my rings are tight now when it''s WINTER and my fingers are smaller, they are going to look like sausages when they swell in the summer. We''re Pricescopers...we can''t have our rings look bad.

Ellalia, thanks for the tip...I will go look there. Plus I am going to TJs today I think so I will check with them too.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Deco and TG -- my sign wasn't my *rings*, it was my *shoes*! I have a pair of summer loafers that I've worn for years and last fall we were going on vacation in Florida and when we got there I put my shoes on and I had gained so much weight that my damn SHOES were tight.
23.gif

Well I managed to only eat 1/2 sandwich for lunch but then I got so irritated at one of the numskulls in my meeting that I had not one but TWO brownies. It was either that or strangle the guy. In retrospect I should have just strangled him...

The happy hubby is back but I have to meet someone at 5:45 and then potentially to write a contract after that so I'm just going to fend for dinner in some small way. Not to mention the HH hasn't been grocery shopping yet so we don't have anything good in the house to eat.

And tomorrow I can WORK OUT -- woo hoo!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone - I''ve been MIA too, but have been trying to follow everyone''s wonderful progress. I''m happy to report that even though hubby and I went out of town for most of last week (to CA Wine Country) and I indulged when we were there (especially dinners, although mostly the desserts!), I am back on track this week, and I weight myself this morning and I''ve lost 3 more lbs total over the last 3 weeks, bringing the grand total to 13 lbs lost, or half way to getting into my target range
9.gif
36.gif
Right now I''m wearing what used to be my skinny, have-to-wear-a-long-loose-shirt-over-them-because-they-are-so-tight jeans, and they are borderline loose!! I have to say that the vacation was kind of scaring me, partly because I was afraid I couldn''t control myself, and also because I was afraid I wouldn''t get back on track, but it seems to have been fine.

Ms. Mara''s advice about eating lightly at breakfast and lunch really helped, although I usually indulged a little more at lunch then had a light dinner with an indulgent dessert. But it was really just a matter of making conscious choices. Interestingly, I think I enjoyed every single indulgence that much more because it really was an indulgence. DH has been working on eating healthier too, and we had an indoor picnic lunch one day with a really nice full-fat Gruyere cheese, which we were both able to really appreciate how wonderful the flavors and mouthfeel of it were because we so rarely eat real cheese any more. Also, we got a 4-oz piece, and DH ate about 2 oz and I ate about 1 oz, way less than we would have each eaten a few months ago but we were both totally satisfied and enjoyed every bite.

Coda - I am so sorry to hear about your frustration. I really highly recommend counting calories for a while. I was exactly where you are in December (although I was doing longer workouts). I had even talked to my doctor about drugs or other options because I was so frustrated, but I decided that I owed it to myself to really try taking another honest stab at a calorie-counting diet. So that''s what I''ve been doing, with occasional indulgences, for almot 2 months now. It really helps to keep you accountable, and if you really are eating 1400 calories or whatever you determine your goal is each day and NOT losing, then you know you may have a medical condition, or that your body just won''t go lower than it already is. But at least that way you''ve controlled for everything that could be affecting your weight loss or lack thereof.

OV - welcome, and I''m sorry to hear about your troubles at home. Hang in there on the calorie counting - it does get easier to stick to the smaller amounts of food, it just takes your body a little while to adjust. Interestingly, my DH and I were just saying the other day that we''ve both learned to appreciate all over again the feeling of being hungry. I know that sounds strange, but I really find I enjoy my food so much more if I''m really hungry when I sit down to eat, and that feeling hungry is actually a fine feeling to have part of the time, and probably really healthy, as long as its around the times when you''re supposed to be eating anyway.

Jossyw

Rough_Rock
Hi all - it sounds like everyone''s having a good week but I''m sorry some of you aren''t feeling well (back/chest pain, colds, etc..). I continue to be inspired by this thread so thanks again to all those to post regularly!

Just wanted to let those of you who love Fage know that the TJ''s greek style yogurt is just as good and a lot less $.

Stay healthy
j

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey all! Havent been on in a few days-too much college work-yuk!

Weighed myself at the gym yesterday-down 16 lbs in total now!
36.gif
36.gif
and I think I had my most exciting moment yet-my rings are getting very loose!! WOOHOO!! Im hoping my fingers get a lot skinnier before July!
3.gif

Keep up the good work everyone!!

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 4:33:24 PM
Author: Mara
ov..i''ll write in here what i wrote last week about HOW people are actually spending their caloric intake. for example 100 calories. how do you spend it? was that 100 cal peanut butter pack that good? that filling? for that same 100 cals you could have eaten something like a whole cup of carrots or 2cups of grapes or 3/4c of fiber one cereal or a 100 cal pack of popcorn (5cups). this is how i think about my eating. it takes a little bit of work but there is really no reason that anyone should feel starved on something like 1500ish cals a day. it just depends on how you spend the cals. i can eat 1500 cals a day and be fine, feel satiated, full etc with working out 5x a week and burning like 2500 cals. a lot of it is mental when you feel hungry and know you shouldn''t be and yes flat out some days you just NEED to have more, your body wants it. but in general, how people SPEND their calorie allotment is huge. i also do the bad thing something and snack on something that is just not that satisfying for what it is. but typically i know i''m doing that..so at least i am educated on what i am eating.

the 100 cal packs for me are kind of a blessing and a curse. some are way more filling and satisfying than others but they are all so tempting, i mean it''s ONLY 100 cals right? i got the 100 cal peanut butter crisps or whatever and i was like omg 100 cals for like 10 of these paper thin peanut butter flavored things? totally not worth it. i never ate another pack. they are still sitting in the pantry. the 100 cal popcorn packs are 5c of popcorn...way more filling stomach wise. or eat fruit, or steamed veggies (buy a pre-pack of broccoli and stick it in the microwave)

if you feel super hungry, fill your day with fiber. it really does help keep you full (unless your body gets used to it like mine did argh!)...and many high fiber things don''t contain that many calories depending. also one more comment. the LC you ate. how many cals was it and what was in it? the reason i asked is because i realized that i could spend 350 cals on something like a brick oven LC pizza and it doesn''t keep me any more full than eating a 180 cal chicken and potatoes LC. so basically i''m *wasting* 170 cals that i could have in the form of another snack aka a luna bar packed with nutrients and fiber and protein...instead of the pizza.

so that''s just another example of how you can kind of think about spending calories like it''s cash. you have X amount for the day, how are you going to use it. and how does it best benefit your body and of course you need to get a little something something in there for your taste buds too....so don''t go cold turkey on yummy stuff, just make it really count!!
5.gif

Mara - THANKS A MILLION for the great advice. You''re so right...that 100 cal pack of peanut crisps was gone in 2 min and I was still so hungry afterwards. Empty calories! I will def try the popcorn packs. I need to really focus on snacking more on fruit and veggies. It''s just that I''m a CARB FREAK! I totally could''ve had some fruit for 100 cal and felt more satisfied. I''m just trying not to overload TOO much on the fiber right away
2.gif
My body will take a good week to get used to this...so I''m starting slowly. I''m already scared of that fiber cake i had for breakfast this morning! I''ll try the fiber-one cereal you''ve mentioned.

As for the LC, i had the chicken carbonara today. so rich and filling, i couldn''t finish it. 270 cal, 7g fat, 2g fiber. so not TOO bad. i usually try to eat the lower cal ones, but i''m literally weaning myself off of this food addiction, so i want to be realistic
1.gif
i had gotten to the point where i''d eat a whole burrito in one sitting, so seriously this is a drastic change!

Also, I''ve been super stressed. I got promoted at work a few months back (SO much more responsibility). I''m in marriage counseling (things are going well, and thanks for the well-wishes everyone). I''m stressing about training for the marathon. I was using food as a crutch the past few months, and this is one more thing I have to worry about. Not complaining, I am taking control of the situation now, and I am confident that in a few weeks I''ll be feeling much better. I am so grateful that I have this resource for support and education
9.gif

Amber - great insight on the feeling of being hungry...I am def hungry for a snack right now...I''m going to have an apple and savor every bite! I know that once dinner comes around tonight, I''ll be hungry, and again I''ll enjoy satisfying the hunger and knowing that I''m eating something healthy. BTW, dinner tonight is chicken breast w/ salsa, some black beans, some brown rice, and a salad. I know very bland, but it''s simple, fast, and I have to eat more carbs in order to fuel the 6 miles I''ll run on the treadmill tonight.

I hope everyone had a good day. Keep up the good work
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good job bee and Amber on your weightloss!

Tonight we are going out to have tofu spicy soup (a Korean thing) and are going bowling after. I love these midweek breaks...they are fun to do. TGuy is home early today too. Yay!

Have a great night everyone...I''ll try bowling with more oomph to burn more calories!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Hey everyone! It looks like everyone is starting the week of really well. I know everyone joining up now are going to do awesome. I really do get proud of everyone''s accomplishments, along with my own. Since it had been so cold I was wearing really warm, cozy clothes which meant I couldn''t really see my body (although I was comfy!). Today it warmed up and I wore some more fitted clothes and I finally saw what I had been feeling and I felt skinny. Not where I want to be yet but I am def on my way!

Also, today I ate the same amount as I have been eating but tonight I was still hungry. I almost talked myself into eating something else but I thought about it and I knew I should be satisfied by what I had eaten so far. Then I realised I hadn''t drank as much water as I usually do the past few days. I drank some water and my crazing was gone. So that is something to remember. Sometimes you really have to think about what your body is telling you and remember to stay hydrated.

keep up the good work WWTers!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I must be doing something right. My 23 year old daughter stayed at my place for 2 days
and was very interested in my food choices. She was impressed that I eat healthy and asked me
for some tips on eating, dieting and staying healthy. Dads can be role models for their daughters, too
2.gif

P.S. I'm back on schedule..gym today..jujitsu on monday...YESSSSS!!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone!!!

Welcome, deco, it''s great to see you here (in part, for my own selfsih reasons as I think you are too darn funny, bright, etc. and I just get a kick outta your posts)! Glad you had a good first workout.

Thanks for the article, alj, it was definitely an interesting read.

Great job on the weight loss Amber, fantastic news. Same goes for you, bee!! Cause for celebration!

I''m in agreement re: the TV show watching during workouts. I DVR Dr. Phil, Oprah and The Real Housewives of the OC. Mindless TV really helps the time pass for me.

I got in a great workout this morning before my first sub job. I burned 500 calories in 48 minutes. It allowed me to work out some nerves and focus on something good before going in. Tomorrow is my day off from workouts, back at it on Thursday. I''m hoping to get in a walk, but we''re supposed to have lots of rain all day tomorrow.

John''s making me enchiladas for dinner, 470 calories, not too shabby! I''m really looking forward to it, I can smell them cooking...yummy for the tummy!

Have a great evening all.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 9:18:04 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
I must be doing something right. My 23 year old daughter stayed at my place for 2 days
and was very interested in my food choices. She was impressed that I eat healthy and asked me
for some tips on eating, dieting and staying healthy. Dads can be role models for their daughters, too
2.gif

P.S. I''m back on schedule..gym today..jujitsu on monday...YESSSSS!!!!
Jeff,

My dad is my absolute hero. No joke. Glad you had a great visit and that she''s proud of you, she should be!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kudos on the weight loss bee and amber!!! Way to go!!!!

And Jeff, good for you being such a good dad and role model to your daughter. Oh and yes..........It''s about time you were back in the gym sadle young man!!!! Glad to have the "other" guy back!!

So, I mentioned earlier that I might have hurt my back, but I went to the gym and worked through it and had a really good workout! I didn''t miss a beat and did a full workout. I spent a lot of time working my core (surprise, right?), then once I realized I had full mobility, I just went to work like normal. I must admit that the gym seems to have put an end to me needing a chiropractor on standby all the time.

Anyway, I''m doing much better tonight. We''ll be back at the gym the next two nights like normal. We can''t do Sushi Friday night. The horror of it. We''re meeting friends who wouldn''t eat a piece of raw fish if it was the healthiest food on the planet (oh wait, it is the healthiest food), so we''re meeting at a good restaurant that does serve some pretty healthy food, so we''ve decided to try a new Sushi restaurant we''ve heard great things about on Saturday night.

I hope everyone''s having a great day and looking forward to an even bette Wednesday!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just back from dinner with the happy hubby for the first time in about 11 days. He really wanted to go to this French restaurant by our house that does a pre fix menu on Tuesdays so I had the French onion soup, grilled salmon and truffles for dessert. I considered it the end of my badness because tomorrow I am clear to work out again!!!

Going to bed early because my clients have worn me out today, LOL. I''m sure it will all be worth it once the commission checks hit my account but right now I''m exhausted...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2007 10:08:32 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Just back from dinner with the happy hubby for the first time in about 11 days. He really wanted to go to this French restaurant by our house that does a pre fix menu on Tuesdays so I had the French onion soup, grilled salmon and truffles for dessert. I considered it the end of my badness because tomorrow I am clear to work out again!!!

Going to bed early because my clients have worn me out today, LOL. I'm sure it will all be worth it once the commission checks hit my account but right now I'm exhausted...
Sounds like a wonderful meal DeeJay and not unhealthy at all. After all, how can one go to a great French restaurant and not have a great French dessert. Yummmm, the truffles sound like such a treat!

Glad you've been cleared to start working out again. Do be careful and don't pull the muscle that's been giving you the pain to begin with, OK?!
36.gif

mia15

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I read this thread all the time and even posted a while back before the holidays, but -gulp- haven''t had the courage to join until recently. But last night I went to the gym for the first time in 3 months and realized my habits have seriously got to change.

My challenges: I have to become more active. As an editor who works from home, I just don''t move around enough and I''m starting to feel more and more low energy. Also, I''m a die-hard foodie and that kept me away too. I have to admit, I didn''t want to fess up all my wine, coffee and cheese intake!

It was great going to the gym but I had no focus and I''m still scared of the personal trainers there. Is there anyone else here terrified of the gym? (What are all those machines and pulley things anyway?)

35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay for french truffles!

congrats amber and bee on the weight loss! keep it up ladies and amber i''m happy my traveling/eating tips helped..it totally worked for me in vegas, of all places, hehee.

rod so glad that your pain didn''t turn into anything more serious. sometimes my body wants me to work out more i think and gives me little twinges here and there to remind me to get with the program!!

ov glad my dissertation on eating calories helped you, hehe. it does help me to look at it that way most of the time. it''s like shopping. and this type of shopping helps you get into smaller jeans in the future, PERK!

kudos deco on the workout...you are so on your way girlfriend!

welcome back indec...and good for you on the drinking water instead of snacking. i need to learn that one!

went to the gym and man was i tired from this cold, but i knew i had to work out so i did. i did 525 cals in 58 minutes, 25 cals over my goal for tonite, which is good. i always seem to hit my stride around 25-35 minutes and then i tend to be able to go longer than i had expected originally. i am going to work out tomorrow too and not on thursday (switched my days) because greg has a rehearsal tomorrow so this way we can spend time together on thursday night as he has another rehearsal on friday (sheesh!). also it''s TTOTM ugh...so im sure tomorrow i won''t be any more perky than i was today with a cold/TTOTM combo but whatever, i can do it. i''m strong! hehe. and then i can rest thursday.

so is anyone else tired of wearing winter clothes? tired of seeing your skin in rare glimpses and going ''ugh man i am so pale''?...well that was so me. so last week i bought the Jergens gradual glow moisturizer which got recommends online as the best gradual tanning moisturizer out there...and i finally started using it on Friday. well it''s what, day 4? and man i have a tan!! i''m so jazzed. it''s kind of an interesting product, you use it as your daily lotion and you have to wait like 5 minutes for it to dry before dressing which is fine because i typically put all my lotions on then get ready with hair and makeup then get dressed so this is perfect for me. it''s a little stinky for a while i think as it starts to ''set'' while it''s drying...but after that it''s golden. literally. it also has a slight shimmer sparkle look to it. anyway it is totally working for me!! today at the gym i was like look! i''m tan! and it''s so much fun to see tanned taut skin instead of yellowish gray looking taut skin, haha. i am darker skinned, more medium, but in the winter i turn yellowy pale, it''s REALLY not appealing. anyway i don''t want to get totally dark so i will probably stop after tomorrow, but it''s nice to have a bit of color going on again. and it''s not an orange tone either. oh and if anyone wants to try it...i read online not to get the ''fair'' one unless you are snow white. i got the medium one and i''m already ready to stop on day 5 so i would imagine that if someone who was not snow white got the medium and used it for a few days that might be all you need. the nice thing about gradual is it probably won''t turn you totally dark right away. anyway just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone else is feeling the winter doldrums. it''s so funny but even just having a bit of a tan has totally perked me up and gotten me all mentally ready for spring. and today we had hail and SNOW here in our area. far from spring...yes we are..boo hoo!!

so dinner tonite is TJ''s pizzas, and i made a low-cal coleslaw with shredded cabbages, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, a bit of sugar, caraway seeds, some honey and low-fat/low-cal mayo. it''s tart yet yummy! i have a few other recipes for low-fat/low-cal ones using buttermilk etc that i will try next time. dessert is the last lone donut for moi, greg already ate his for a snack tonite, hehee. now if we can just finish those darn huge handmade truffles from Vday hiding in the pantry we''ll be golden, haha. anyway my cals today after pizza, coleslaw, donut will be at about 1525, right on target!!

hope everyone had a great day....enjoy the night!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Welcome EV!! I totally understand not wanting to give up your favorite things. If it makes you feel better, I drink a glass of wine or two every day, and I have dessert almost every night (frozen yogurt is my friend!) and I''ve managed to lose about 7 lbs. without giving those things up, because, well, I love them! It''s all about making the puzzle fit together. I eat light breakfasts (oatmeal w/ soy milk) and lunch (soup) and snack 1-2 times a day on healthy foods and then fit in the good stuff, because life is not so much fun without it. It''s all about striking a balance. Coming from a girl who once wore a size 16 and now wears a 6/8 (and has maintained for 4+ years) it absolutely can be done. Stick around, hopefully you''ll be motivated and find people who are likeminded, we love great food, but all balance that love with the need to care for our bodies and our overall health and fitness.

Creepy motivational speech over!
2.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2007 10:47:30 PM
Author: emeraldlover
Hi everyone,

I read this thread all the time and even posted a while back before the holidays, but -gulp- haven't had the courage to join until recently. But last night I went to the gym for the first time in 3 months and realized my habits have seriously got to change.

My challenges: I have to become more active. As an editor who works from home, I just don't move around enough and I'm starting to feel more and more low energy. Also, I'm a die-hard foodie and that kept me away too. I have to admit, I didn't want to fess up all my wine, coffee and cheese intake!

It was great going to the gym but I had no focus and I'm still scared of the personal trainers there. Is there anyone else here terrified of the gym? (What are all those machines and pulley things anyway?)

35.gif
Hey emeraldlover
35.gif
. It's for that reason that if you can afford to hire a trainer, you should hire a trainer. 16 months ago I was fat, a smoker, weighed around 240 lbs., had over a 40inch waist, had no aerobic stamina, had body fat over 33% and couldn't lift a weight if it didn't weigh anything. So we joined the gym. And we were totally intimidated by the gym and we didn't know what all those "machines and pulley things" did either. So we realized we needed help, and we hired one of the 'uber' trainers and we told him we were completely intimidated and low and behold he helped us. He showed us how to use the machines the right way. He showed us how to mix it up. And honestly, he treated us to the best hour (which we gladly paid for) we had each week as he started something that is the most remarkable transformation that has ever happened in my life. Now, 16 months later, I'm in the best shape of my life. My weight is in the 170's (low to mid somedays). My waist is 32/33. My aerobic abiility is amazing. I can run 8 miles. My body fat is in the 15% range. And did I say I look good? I look better at 52 than I did at 40. With help and guidance you can too. So, don't be intimidated. If you can spend the money, get a trainer and let them help you put a plan in place that will help you achieve the goals you want.

OK.......Commercial Over! As the Nike Ad Says.........Just Do It!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
by the way i was reading a fitness mag tonite at the gym... a gal wrote in and said 'help, i work out 5x a week and eat 1400 cals a day and can't lose weight..what do i do?'

the dietician person said ... first off are you sure that you are only eating 1400 cals? because grazing or not really tracking might lead people to estimate what they are eating but it might be more etc. then she said, and if it is true you are only eating 1400 cals and working out 5x a week...you might need to eat MORE because the body might think it is starving and lower metabolism to compensate. she estimated 1700ish calories to lose weight and like 2200 cals to maintain.

anyway i thought that was pretty interesting...esp the lower metabolism part...we definitely don't want that around here, hehe.

another thing i read today on MSN diet and fitness...it was saying something along the lines of..CRAVINGS. when to give in and when not. they said if you have a craving...stop and think about it. because apparently when you start eating more healthily...and depriving your 'overstuffed' fat cells...they start to freak out and send signals to your brain to give them more food...!! so you may not even really be hungry, it could be your fat cells not wanting to be burned for fuel...how funny is that?! i was like interesting! so now when i get cravings i am going to try to imagine my fat cells crying out for food so they won't be burned. haha.

anyway a few random notes i came across today. oh and welcome jossy and emeraldlover. emeraldlover...i don't LOVE the gym..i just make myself go. and use the elliptical or the bike or the treadmill. i find that the more you go the more you eventually feel confident about it. and ask for help, there are trainers all over my gym and they are more than willing to assist when necessary. don't be afraid to ask. good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*steps back into the WWT and quietly closes door behind her couch potato lifestyle*

*then proceeds to sing inside head with utmost feeling AC/DC''s "I''m Back" (or whatever that song is actually titled, but you know the one from the Gap commercial last fall, LOL"*

Welllllll ladies and gents, I''ve taken a bit of time off from the gym, but not off from general good health and nutrition, nor some decent at-home exercise...

I still have my lovely 8-4:30 desk job, where I am still coming home at lunch and doing my free weights, stretches, and walking dogs. Things in my life have changed a little bit since I last posted here...we have a new puppy as of November 11th, and she has taken up a fair amount of my time as far as training and playing with her each night when I get home from work, after I have been home at lunch and made sure she and our other older beagle are exercised and treated as well.

I cancelled my gym membership in January, hoping to go ahead and join a Cardinal Fitness this month, but still haven''t done...I do have some upcoming surgery and have been trying my damndest to quit smoking with some success (I''m one of those firm believers in cold turkey but it hasn''t completely happened yet). The good news is that I''ve been successful for at least 8 days at a time, with only a couple of slip ups! I guess I haven''t wanted to post that I''m quitting for fear of letting anyone here down, including myself. DH has been very, very supportive and he no longer smokes in our basement as he used to (we had a $200 smoke-eater down there for the longest time, which is a piece of b.s. if I''ve ever seen one). Anyway, this surgery I''ll probably be having will have me at bedrest for at least 2 weeks, and while I still haven''t scheduled it in ink, tentatively it is set for the end of March. I have wanted to be smoke-free for it for at least one month, and I know I can still achieve that goal. I''m really working on a lot of things at this time such as making sure my house is clean and in order so I don''t recover only to have a huge mess to clean up ((DH is so helpful but not the greatest at scrubbing and cleaning, more of a tidy-up guy, lol)

Before I really schedule my surgery in ink I have to find out if my insurance will cover any of it, and whether I will lose all my vacation days at work to it, or if I''m eligible for short term disability. So many things are at stake here. I DO know that when I recover fully, I will more than likely have the confidence I really need to pursue my dreams and get a much better job in the public eye, and in the fashion industry again.

I am so proud of you all...Mara, you have made such changes and strides since last year I am just astounded, and love reading your posts on the WWT''s! Rod and Lorelei, and everyone else, I still read your posts on the threads every week and find them so inspiring. It''s been said before but I will say it again: everyone involved in this thread is so dedicated and inspirational, and it is just a joy to even read this thread. DeeJay, I''ve MET you and LOVE reading your posts here because I can actually see in my mind your expressions when you post and it is just too fun! So don''t anyone think for a minute that I''ve abandoned the thread whatsoever. I''ve been behind the scenes, so to speak, for a few months now, waiting until I could get back in and post.

lastly, I''ll give a testament to my and my DH''s day, just so y''all don''t take me for a total failure: Dh came home from the office, walked the older dog, (I did the dishes and vacuumed at lunch), then I brought home some groc. from TJs to complete a veggie lasagna (est. 350 calories per 4x4" serving, plus spinach salad for 150 cal. with TJ Italian dressing and mandarin oranges) . I sat on the couch typing on PS, and also did some arms with my 10 lb dumbbells which I estimate maybe burned 50 calories but helped maintain my fabulous biceps and triceps (lol), and now am looking forward to a nice glass of chardonnay from TJ''s which I haven''t tried (120 cal?) and going to bed with a huge glass of H2O.

Thanks Mara for calling me out. (She''s good at that!) I''m glad you did.
35.gif
Rod, I like following yours and charlie''s story, wish you''d have all your clothes in your house in Raleigh soon...that must be hard!
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
monnie! i''m so glad you checked in. i have seen you posting recently and i was like one day she will check in with the WWT!!! and then nothing. hehee. so finally i couldn''t wait anymore....hope you don''t mind me calling you out...hehee. i have definitely missed your presence on this thread..! have you said previously what type of surgery you are having? and kudos for trying to quit smoking...don''t feel bad if it doesn''t happen right away...from what i have heard it''s a very difficult thing to do...just stay with it and one day it WILL stick! and yeah it''s so funny, you say that i have come so far, i think about that too sometimes just in general...like way back when this thread was tiny and intermittment...hehee. the group that is here now is just so amazingly dynamic and dedicated...it''s fabulous. so, a huge welcome back M!

on the workout/health/food tip...i couldn''t remember if previously i had ever reviewed those Gayle''s 30 cal truffles i got for greg around near vday...anyway i have rediscovered them in the pantry, hehee...they are actually very good!! i got the raspberry, mint, dark and milk chocolate ones to try out. they also have a cappucino but i guess i zoned out and didn''t order that one. anyway, so far i have tried the raspberry, mint and dark chocolate ones. raspberry is my FAVE, i love dark chocolate and raspberry together. the mint to me just tastes like a mint on the pillow, totally underwhelming...and the dark chocolate is my 2nd fave so far. basically it''s a thin coating of chocolate over some sort of fat free chocolate filling...that is how they are 30 cals. definitely not winning any ''best truffle'' awards especially when compared with the handmade ones that we got for vday from the local chocolatier which just melts in your mouth...but these DEFINITELY can do in a chocolate pinch. and at 30 cals each, you can eat 2-3 and be under 100 cals for a dessert snack which is pretty sweet. i''ve been ''ending'' the night with them lately. so tonite i actually cut the bottom half of the donut off (lol i know it''s silly) and tossed it and just ate the top half with the glazing, haha. i mean come on that''s really what i want anyway and i saved probably about 1/3 of the cals. so then i had a 30 cal truffle as well.
3.gif

so i actually am ending the day with 1475 in cals. whee. now i need to get some SLEEP and kick this darn cold! nite all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results