shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 26th Dec till 31st Dec

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei - I think you''re right about varying the program a bit.

As for the arm things on the eliptical... those machines are built for people who are a bit, shall we say, *taller* than I am (I reach five full feet on a good day!) and if I try to hold on to the arm things where you''re supposed to it pulls me so far forward that I''m smacking into the monitor screen. (I figured this out the hard way -- OWCH!)

And it''s so funny that you mention the idea of special sports shoes. About four years ago we moved to a location where I could walk to work, it was also about a mile, and I developed some knee pain. After a year I literally could not bear the pain of bending my knee to go down stairs. I finally gave in and went to a doctor, who immediately recommended surgery (without every looking at any of my x-rays or touching my knee more than once--but that is a whole ''nother issue). I asked for other options to try first and he rolled his eyes and sent me to a physical therapist. Within 30 seconds the PT figured out that my problem wasn''t my knee at all; it turns out that my arch had fallen and had pulled my kneecap out of alingment. For the past year I had been grinding a new groove in my leg bone to accommodate my shifted kneecap. Aside from physical therapy, which helped me strengthen my then-atrophied thigh muscle so that it could pull my kneecap back into place from above, I got a pair of orthotics. The first time I tried to wear them it felt like someone had put golf balls under my arches--they were so uncomfortable! But within a week of wearing them my knee pain was virtual gone, and now I can''t imagine walking any distance or working out without them. And I use New Balance tennis shoes, which the therapist also recommended. Sorry for the long winded message, but I think those orthotics saved me from knee surgery.

Ellen - Thanks for the tip! I am definitely going to do that, even before I walk too and from work becuse sometimes I get a little discomfort even in that short distance if I''m moving fast. Today I''m getting my hair done after work and I will probably walk home from that too, which is 1.6 miles according to Yahoo maps. I actually do walk A LOT, I just think I need to step up the pace, LOL.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are welcome, hope it helps!

And DeeJay, yes, BRISK is the key word in benefitial walking.
28.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MARA - I was just reading KimberlyH''s thread and want to ask you about something you wrote:

Mara said: >

What is the "detox" thing that you are talking about?

And I don''t know HOW you kept motivated for five months without dropping a pound--I''ve only been doing this for three weeks and I''m starting to get discouraged that the scale hasn''t moved a bit (except that it is the holidays and I''m trying to be realistic).[/i]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ i don''t always use the arm things on the ellip but that''s also because i typically spend about 10 minutes afterwards doing arm exercises to target specific areas, so i figure on the days i do those i don''t use the arms and it''s no big deal. but i do feel more of a ''pull'' in my lower back and bootie and side when i use them and they say it works your whole body so i wonder if maybe the arm and leg thing on the ellipt is giving you a more full body, aka ab and side and back workout too. so i try to use them at least 1/2 the time during the week.

regarding the walking...don''t scoff at it not burning very many calories! here''s an example. when we did our last 5k, i wore my HRM and walked 3.2 miles or whatever a 5k is in 42 minutes. that''s what? something like a 13-14 minute mile? nothing super impressive but i think it''s about a 4 MPH pace. definitely brisk..it''s a bit more brisk than on the treadmill for me. i burned about 450 cals in that session after walking there and home (5 min each way)...not bad!! so DJ depending on how long your walk is....aka 30 minutes a morning, if you are breaking a sweat and keeping a fast pace going, chances are you are burning a few hundred calories. do you walk home too? that might be a great workout on off days when you are not hitting the gym. and if you are doing that every day AND hitting up the elliptical sometimes, make sure to keep your food levels up on those extra workout days. you do not want your body to think you are in starvation mode and start HOARDING fat and calories.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 11:17:38 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
MARA - I was just reading KimberlyH''s thread and want to ask you about something you wrote:

Mara said: >>

What is the ''detox'' thing that you are talking about?

And I don''t know HOW you kept motivated for five months without dropping a pound--I''ve only been doing this for three weeks and I''m starting to get discouraged that the scale hasn''t moved a bit (except that it is the holidays and I''m trying to be realistic).
DJ you should prepare yourself because you might not see a change for a while. It was hard for me to keep it up. I started at 151 and the scale would go from 149 to 151 for months. I was like what is going on! BUT I was seeing small changes in my body, which made it easier for me to keep going...until things finally clicked.

The detox that we did...the threads are around here somewhere...but basically it''s the 7 day Detox Miracle ...Monarch has the book and the jist is that our bodies need help sometimes cleaning out toxins and other bad for us kinda things...and the detox helps it do that and the side effect is you can lose some weight kind of quickly. The downside is the food is pretty boring, haha. We did it for 5 days the first time and then another 3-4 days the month later but at that point the novelty was worn off. But even just doing it for a few days I think kind of gives your body a kick.

The idea is that you cut out all processed foods, dairy, and meat things. The book version was pretty strict aka no wheat (for people allergic) and no other things...basically you eat rice, veggies and fruits for a period of 5-7 days. You can cook with herbs and use garlic and all that. Oh and no salts and sugars at all.
I added things like fresh granola and nuts so that I wouldn''t go totally crazy but it was the summer so there was a ton of fruits around. It wasn''t that bad at first. And we ate ''enough''...it''s not so much about portions as it is eating the right stuff. You can have soy milk and similar. Soy cheese, tofu. So i made a minestrone kind of soup, and this thai pasta thing with veggies and tofu...

But honestly, I don''t think that I dropped the 3 lbs then because of the DETOX persay. I think it was just that my body was at that point where I''d been working out for a while and it was just ready to lose some actual weight and not convert it to muscle. It just coincided with the detox IMO. But it might be an option if you don''t see some changes soon on the scale. I know it can be discouraging but just remember you are doing what is right for your body and that is the most important part!!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2006 11:18:52 AM
Author: Mara
DJ i don't always use the arm things on the ellip but that's also because i typically spend about 10 minutes afterwards doing arm exercises to target specific areas, so i figure on the days i do those i don't use the arms and it's no big deal. but i do feel more of a 'pull' in my lower back and bootie and side when i use them and they say it works your whole body so i wonder if maybe the arm and leg thing on the ellipt is giving you a more full body, aka ab and side and back workout too. so i try to use them at least 1/2 the time during the week.

regarding the walking...don't scoff at it not burning very many calories! here's an example. when we did our last 5k, i wore my HRM and walked 3.2 miles or whatever a 5k is in 42 minutes. that's what? something like a 13-14 minute mile? nothing super impressive but i think it's about a 4 MPH pace. definitely brisk..it's a bit more brisk than on the treadmill for me. i burned about 450 cals in that session after walking there and home (5 min each way)...not bad!! so DJ depending on how long your walk is....aka 30 minutes a morning, if you are breaking a sweat and keeping a fast pace going, chances are you are burning a few hundred calories. do you walk home too? that might be a great workout on off days when you are not hitting the gym. and if you are doing that every day AND hitting up the elliptical sometimes, make sure to keep your food levels up on those extra workout days. you do not want your body to think you are in starvation mode and start HOARDING fat and calories.

Hmmm... I think I will try to see if I can postion my hands/arms differently and find a way to use the arm things. If I'm on there anyway I might was well get the full benefit, right?!

And yes, I do walk home too. So it's a mile in the morning and a mile at night. The only RARE exceptions are if I have to pick up a client right after work and need to take a cab home because of the tight time frame. Or, on occassion if the happy hubby's schedule works out PERFECTLY with mine he'll pick me up in the evening (typically once or twice a month).

Thanks also for the detox info. I'm going to look into this (sounds a bit more palatable than the cabbage soup diet, LOL).

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

So I had a great workout this morning. I burned 650 calories in 62 minutes by bumping my resistance up a notch on the elliptical. Then I decided it was time to incorporate free weights into my routine again. It felt great!

Last night we had stuffed peppers from my new cookbook, they were pretty good. Today we''re going to the car show and then out to dinner at a restaraunt that serves lots of fish. I am not a fan of fish so I''ll probably end up having a salad for my entree or perhaps some grilled chicken.

DeeJay: I have an ellliptical and I always use the arms, it makes me feel like I am getting a more full-bodiy work out, I feel it in my arms and abs as well as my gluts and thighs. Also, consider going backwards as well as forwards as the motion works different muscles.

Have a great workout day.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I did 30 minutes on the elliptical during lunch today and I feel so good! The last time I had worked out was Monday of LAST week and I can''t believe I went this long. I''m off work until next Tuesday, but I am going to try to get in a work out or two between now and then, because I really just don''t have a good enough excuse not too.

Also when I was in the gym downstairs today, I noticed some things on the bulletin board. Each month they post several "top 15" lists...one list is the top 15 people that burned the most calories during the previous month, another list has the top 15 people with the most workouts for the month....well I was on the list for the most workouts...I was somewhere around #8 or #10. It was really motivating to see that.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys
35.gif

I have been diligently working out about 5-6 times a week for a couple of months now, and I have been following this weekly thread and think its a great thing! I''d like to do it regularly.

I feel like I have not been getting anywhere since the holidays came and went, so my progress is slllloooww.

I did have a question and was wondering what y''all do. I am home during the day, so I will usuall attend a hi/lo aerobics class or step and or a pilates or yoga class. In the evening, my DH and I go to the gym and we usually weight lift or I will walk on the tred mill while he runs. We don''t eat dinner before the gym, and we eat when we get home. by that time, its about 8 - or 8:30 before we actually sit down and eat. I have heard its not good to eat after 8pm. Is this bad? Even though I have been hitting up the gym at least a couple times (on average) a day? the both of us really don''t like eating before we go to the gym, so we''ll snack on those nature valley bars or something small.

I also am not a runner and would rather walk fast on the tred mill. What good will walking on a 3.5 incline do me in terms of calorie burning? I am 27 yrs old. How long do you guys recommend walking? 1/2 hr 45 min?

Thanks!!
25.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh rosebud you bring up a good point.

earlier in this thread i posted something about the article from nutritionists and what they suggest.

they said this and i have seen it before...but i was glad to see it corroborated.

they said it does not matter when you eat. it''s WHAT you eat. it''s not about what time you eat, it''s what you are actually eating. we eat dinner at about 8pm every night on weekdays so we are late eaters. there''s no way we could even eat earlier, our schedules do not permit it. we don''t go to bed til about 11...so it allows ample time for digestion. however, i would imagine you just don''t want to eat a heavy meal at like 9pm then go to bed at 10pm. your body might have a harder time digesting something very heavy while it is slowing down to sleep. whereas if you had a heavy meal earlier you might be able to go for a walk after and help aid digestion along. but in terms of ''it''s bad to eat late'' or ''it can make you gain weight to eat late''...there''s no truth in the TIME of it...more what you are actually eating. eating a light dinner at 7 or 8 or 9 is still a light dinner.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
ok good! i was really curious if that was a myth or what. we normally head to bed around 11pm, so its not like we eat dinner and then go to bed right away. we both like to eat, so its going to be hard, but we''re trying to cut down on the portion sizes. tonight i''m gonna make chicken tortilla soup and probably a side salad. its hard to eat lighter these days since i''ve been working out, it seems as though i am famished by the time lunch comes around after i''ve hit up the gym. i''ve been making lunch meat turkey wraps with cucumber, sprouts and tomato, and that''s been filling me up. now the problem is all the cookies and treats we have left over from all our family get togethers.... think i''m gonna freeze most of it.

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the welcome. Let’s see, a little about myself. I’m 27, soon to be 28 in about three months. I’m 5’2”, small frame, but 120 lbs. BAH! I want to be about 105 – 110 depending on how much muscle mass I have. I used to be very good about working out in my early twenties. I went to the gym every morning for 1.5 hours Monday – Friday before work. But I don’t know what happened, through the years…. I guess ‘life’ happened… Work got busy, I started dating someone serious and that took up a lot of time. I also grew these two love handles that were never there before! Wraaah! So…I’ve been following this workout thread for a few weeks now and it’s really gotten me kind wanting to get back into the whole working out and being disciplined. As far as eating goes, I’m pretty good about portions and the type of foods I eat. I think what would really help a lot more is if I ate at home more often. I work about 10 to 12 hours a day that sometimes I don’t really make smart food choices.

Oh, and one other thing ladies… I wanted to give you guys a link to the calorie counting site I used. It has EVERYTHING in there from food in restaurants, the newest stuff out in the markets, and you can change the portions on the foods so you don’t have to do your own math. I’ve tried matching it up with the nutrition facts on the foods I bring home and it seems to be pretty accurate…

Here it is: www.calorieking.com

Have a great day!!

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
Oh, try typing anything in there .. like you can do Mcdonalds McMuffin... with cheese... or without cheese. Or the Fillet-O-Fish no tarter sauce...

:)

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
sevenwires - that is a great site! DH and i have checked that out.

i couldn''t believe the difference in how much fat was in a regular egg mcmuffin (12 grams of fat) vs. a sausage mcmuffin ( a whopping 27 grams).

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
Ever since I started looking into what are some things IN the foods we eat... a lot of foods became less appealing. haha.. But I never really cut anything completely out of my diet. I just limit myself to smaller portions.. OR I get other people to get it, and then I just have a bite.
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah there are some great websites out there for calorie counting and just knowing what is in what you are eating. i hardly ever eat any sort of processed or fast food...we have like KFC once a year and McDonalds once a year...because it's just not that appealing knowing what you are eating. sometimes i crave something like a burger but in reality i don't need it...sometimes i just like THINKING about it more than actually eating it. which is pretty funny. i have been 'thinking' about taco bell for about 3 months now but every time i give myself license to go get it...i am like do i really want it? not really!!! but i like thinking about it.

so my mom called me when i was at the store and told me my dad has a horrible flu he just got. and he was over at our house for an hour yesterday visiting!!
6.gif
it's funny because before she called i was thinking 'gosh i feel really cold, whats the deal with the a/c in here'...and then i thought 'gosh im so hungry that i feel nauseated' but after she called i went uh oh! so i came right home, downed some zinc and am eating some chicken soup. i really do not want to get some horrible yucky flu...!

dinner tonite is turkey lasagna from cooking light, i cooked up the meat and sauce this morning and have left it 'marinating' in the fridge til dinner when i'll put it all together. should be yummy!! was a big hit last time i made it for us.

oh and seven, is that a westie in your avatar? we have one too, she's almost 3 and the light of our lives.
2.gif

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
haha.. Yes, Mara... that''s a Westie in my avatar. Her name is Bella. She''s almost five months now and she is just too cute! She has finally gotten the hang of going potty OUTSIDE. Finally. And she''s stopped chewing on my toes! Now I''m just figureing out how to get her to stay still so I can clip her nails.....

So I think I''m going to start getting with the program like the rest of you... I have to be back in the office at 5 p.m. today. But I think I''m going to hit the gym first and run a couple of miles. I normally go the gym 3 times a week so far right now. But since read on Mara''s progress and going something like 5 - 6 times a day!
6.gif
I need to catch up. No wonder I''m not losing those annoying love handles. I eat more that I burn and I don''t think my workouts are intense enough. I also want to start keeping track of my progress insead of just going with the flow. So when I get to the gym today, I''m going to get my weight and start from there. I know lean muscle is heavier than fat... so I''m aiming towards the 105 - 110 depending on how much weight training I''m actually doing. So wish me luck!

Mara, I check out the other thread about the b-bags and you look great in there! I think compared to some pictures in the Who''s Who you DEFINITELY have toned up and you look great! I love the how your jeans fit you and your arms are slender. Right now I wear a size 4 or 5 in jeans depending on how they size ''em. But I have love handles flowing over! And even though friends and family tell me I look fine, I don''t feel fine. I just know how to hide what shouldn''t be there. Anyway, so this is going to be one of my New Year''s resolutions, is slowly get back into working out about 5 days a week.

Okay, heading out. Will update later on progress. I hope it''s okay, I''m not really here for the diamond forum. At least not yet.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks seven...i do look different, better than before i got married even! please post some pictures of your westie...i LOVE westies!! i have a ton of pictures of portia in my who''s who and around PS...i''m sure you have seen them.

so i felt like eating something sweet today so i tracked down this recipe online and made it....the cookies are yummy!! i am still getting the hang of baking with fake sugars...and i use this thing called sweet leaf from whole foods which is like stevia i think...it''s great for baking but not so great on it''s own aka in coffee.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup reduced-calorie stick margarine
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed to measure
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 packets (or 1-1/4 tsp. bulk) Sweet ‘N Low®
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375°F.

In medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the margarine, sugar, Sweet ‘N Low®, egg whites, and vanilla with an electric beater. Stir in the dry ingredients until well blended. Add the raisins.

Spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Per serving (2 cookies): 95 calories, 2g protein, 15g carbohydrates, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium. DIABETIC FOOD EXCHANGES: 1 starch/bread exchange, 1/2 fat exchange.

This recipe represents a 20 percent reduction in calories per serving from a traditional Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies (18 servings)

OR the adaptation which is more what I used since I wanted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip which is one of my faves:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prepare the cookie dough as directed for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies except: Omit the cinnamon and ginger, increase the vanilla extract to 1-1/2 tsp., and use 1/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips instead of raisins. (Mara note: I left the cinammon and ginger since I like it, did not increase the vanilla, and used the chocolate chips)

Yield: 3 dozen cookies (18 servings)

Per serving (2 cookies): 100 calories, 2g protein, 15g carbohydrate, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium. DIABETIC FOOD EXCHANGES: 1 starch/bread exchange, 1/2 fat exchange.

This recipe represents a 30 percent reduction in calories per serving from a traditional Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

I actually used dark brown sugar and real butter, but the butter only added about 12 calories to each cookie, so an addition of about 25. I also used a bit more cinammon. So I figure the ones I made were more like 130 calories for 2 cookies. But they are really yummy! I added a bit more flour too because otherwise it''s a little heavy on the oats. But they came out crunchy and warm inside and the chocolate and oatmeal was YUM. Definitely great for a small snack. I actually halved the recipe and made 18 cookies instead of 36.
18.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I worked out tonight for the first time this week. I''m a bit late but I feel good that I''ve started! Yesterday turned out to be a long day for me and just couldn''t find the energy after everything else. So today I worked out this evening, did 40 mins. of a TaeBo tape. I do like those tapes but I wasn''t finding it extremely interesting tonight. I might need to try something else. Tomorrow, I have a day off work and am going to the spa! I''m so excited b/c it has been sooo long. So given that I am getting this great treat and don''t have to leave until 9, the plan is to work out in the morning so I can relax the rest of the day. I think that should go great.
I have eaten pretty good this week also and have lost a little weight the last time I checked. Of course, I am not back to the weight loss that I had accomplished before since I gained some back but I''m feeling good and making progress. No nail polish for me again this week b/c I know I can''t accomplish 4 days this week. I do like having that little something to look fwd to when I get to 4 days/wk again.

Have a good evening everyone and great New Years!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh......McDonalds and/or KFC, sorry can''t do that to my body ever again. It''s been over 1.5 years since I''ve eaten anything like that and my body is ever so grateful.

Speaking of eating: Mara, after all this time, whe we lived in Tampa, you often mentioned Whole Foods and I was jealous. We had some good healthy food stores in Tampa, but tonight, our realtor took us to our first Whole Foods in Raleigh and we had dinner there. It was simply terrific and the food options so healthy. Plus we hadn''t been able to find Vegannaise since leaving Tampa, and they stock it there. I''m so excited about Whole Foods, so now I understand your enthusiasm for it too.

So, we had our private showing of the new condo in downtown tonight. All I can say is OMG. It''s so ultra highend. And it''s so ultra expensive for the square footage. It doesn''t accommodate our furniture and we''d have to get rid of half of what we own. Charlie absolute fell in love. The ceilings are all 10 foot and almost every room has walls of glass from floor to ceiling. With 10'' ceilings the views are unbelievable. The building''s almost all sold out and was never even listed in MLS or advertised. So, the only unit left with a balcony (actually it has three balconies) is on the 11th floor with 1800 square feet, two bedrooms, 2.5 baths and the price is a staggering $783,000. And the first resident just moved in this week. The touches are so cool though. The bathrooms all have imported marble floors, counters, shower walls and shower floor and custom framless glass surround, plus European custom cabinetry and plumbing. The wood floors in the main living areas are imported, the kitchen is small, but ultra contemporary and high end. While it would be a radical change from anything we''ve considered, it would be something. This unit looks directly at downtown Raleigh and the view at night was simply breathtaking. Still, the price is breathtaking too and for the size is not easy to justify.

Saturday, we''re meeting with the builder of the detached townhomes we saw on the small lake, but in the burbs. The price of the two are pretty much the same and both are high end, but the detached townhomes are 3200 square feet and would accommodate our stuff. But still, Charlie was so excited about the condo and since I made him uproot over my career, I do want him to be really excited and happy with whatever we buy. We''re down to three choices. Of course all three are in different buildings/communities and there''s only one option in either, so we need to make a final decision soon.

As I mentioned last night, we couldn''t work out tonight. We''ll take some time tomorrow afternoon and hit the gym. Then of course we''ll work out each day this weekend too.

Hope you all had a great day!

PS: Sakai continues to gain weight and looks really good. We''ve made it past a hurdle in that we took her off all medicines, some of which were intended to make her hungry. And we had to see if she would continue to eat on her own without medicinal intervention, and she is eating and drinking just fine. So, we have an appointment next week to have her feeding tube removed!!!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY ON PS ROD!!!! I just noticed today it''s a year since you joined PS. I would have started a thread in Hangout but didn''t think you''d see it as you hang here mostly. I love the motivation you give to everyone, and how you are so encouraging. Hope to see you here for many years to come!!!
36.gif
Lisa
1.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2006 11:16:45 PM
Author: Kaleigh
HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY ON PS ROD!!!! I just noticed today it's a year since you joined PS. I would have started a thread in Hangout but didn't think you'd see it as you hang here mostly. I love the motivation you give to everyone, and how you are so encouraging. Hope to see you here for many years to come!!!
36.gif
Lisa
1.gif
Well how about that!!! Thanks so much for noticing Lisa!! And to think that the reason I came to PS was I got in a tussle with a mean jeweler man on another forum who accused me of being in the trade and having a hidden agenda, when I had the nerve to offer my impression of a diamond a person was considering. That's when I found PS and have never looked back. The family here has meant so much to me over the last year. And you're right that I haven't spent much time on RockyTalky lately. I guess after being laid off and then spending two months looking for a new job and then having to relocate, I just haven't had much time for diamonds, but I always make time for fitness.

Now that I'm gainfully employed again, I will make more effort to venture back to RockyTalky. I'm still completely in love with all things diamonds as is just about everyone here on PS.

Again, thanks for noticing my one year anniversary. I'm looking forward to the day I hit 10,000 Posts and get the PS Certificate!!! Look's like you don't have long to go to hit the 10K mark. Over 14,000 Posts since 2004 is quite an achievment.

Your friend.........Rod

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay for sakai rod and happy anniversary!!

it''s so funny that you mention whole foods..they do have some yummy foods!!! but watch your $$$...every time i go there i spend so much..they do have the best produce though and you should check out their mixed greens with nuts and cranberries salad...LOVE IT. they also have an exceptional meat and seafood counter.

your options for houses sound interesting, i really like the idea of the condo..it sounds SO COOL! expensive but cool. hahaha. that would be my vote...hee hee. sounds like it''s right up your guys'' alley. we have an 1800 sq ft townhouse right now and honestly it''s more than enough for us two with space wise..and we have a lot of things. we have 3 bedrooms though...and a 2 car garage. sometimes i think it''d be nice to have a huge house but then i think, for just us? if we have kids sure, but for two...this is okay for now. anyway keep us posted!! how exciting, i love new developments.

no workout for me today....dinner was turkey lasagna, salad and some french bread. dessert is a bit of slow churned 1/2 fat cookies n cream ice cream, yum! back to the gym tomorrow. hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!! i am off so i''m hoping to do a few fun things. i feel better than i did earlier so hopefully i am NOT getting my dad''s flu!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay for our new members Sevens and Rosebud - Sevens you are more than welcome to join in here, even if you are not that into diamonds yet...hehehe....
41.gif

I think that maybe the first thing to do is to start with the good old water consumption, so important I think for many reasons, helps rid you of fat too, and helps you with your workouts and establish good habits, takes the edge off hunger etc. I find drinking 2 litres a day which is a good amount to aim for acts as a 'reminder' also, to try not to eat junk, overall makes me feel more saintly if that makes sense!
28.gif

Anyway enough of my yammering about water, I did 45 mins on the ellip last night and that was a rough programme, on the high resistance it was so difficult to move the machine, but I survived it...
16.gif

Rod congrats on your anniversary and what a feeling to know Sakai will be fine now!!! I am so glad you are here!

Go Dixie, I hope you get that nail polish soon, keep going girl!! Enjoy your spa day, I am lucky if I can slap a face mask on!!

Mara - take care of yourself, I am really hoping you will NOT get flu.

Dee, it varies as to how fast you will see changes, it was quite fast for me, but I tend to have a lanky/ wiry build under any excess poundage I might accrue and I am tall at 5.9, also I work outside with the horses and am on my feet a lot, so it was about three weeks I noticed I was more toned here and there, now 6 months later I have MAJOR results with my core, I think it is a journey where you get changes all the time, but they may be small ones in various places, but do add up over time to HUGE improvements, just keep going and remember that with each workout you are blasting off a bit more fat, getting stronger etc.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning everyone!

Well, best laid plans and all that... I had intended to walk home from my hair appointment last night but I ended up buying some new sheets and towels at Bloomies and it was all way to heavy and bulky to walk with. This morning I did walk to work VERY quickly, and I took the route I don''t normally take with a huge staircase that goes from river level to upper street level, so I definitely got my heart rate up there!

Rod, I''m so happy about Sakai, and also that you''re having fun looking at real estate. My vote is "sexy space"! We once lived in an amazing open loft on the Chicago River and EVERY SINGLE PERSON that walked in would stop dead in their tracks at the front door and screan "WOW"! (Of course now we live in the most *normal* space in the universe, but that''s a whole ''nother matter, LOL.) And happy anniversary!

Mara, I sure hope you don''t get the flu. There''s something going around here that is just knocking people out so hopefully you''ll avoid it.

Loralei, I know that I have to exercise *some* patience in this whole process--but let me tell you, that has never been my strong suit.
2.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Good Morning All!

Rod, here here, never again with the KFC or McD, It''s been about 2 years since any of that stuff came close to my lips. Now I can smell the grease and fat just driving by one!

Sevenwires, welcome! Great website! Looking forward to trying it out!

Dee*Jay, walking to work sounds like a great way to mix up your cardio. I am a runner by nature, but I HATE the treadmill! When I go to the gym I ususally work the elliptical exclusively, but I mix up my workouts on it (sprint for 30 seconds, rest for 30, different terrains, etc.) I also try to get outside and run when the weather allows.

As far as seeing a change at the scale, I would actually recommend avoiding the scale completely at first. It will go up and down depending on so many factors that frustration seems inevitable! When you start working out you gain muscle weight, there''s the water weight that you will gain and lose. I rarely step on the scale these days, mostly because I am a freak, and if I don''t see a certain number, I''m going to be bummed at myself. I know now that my body weight fluctiuates between 122 and 130! (I can usually look at myself and know when I''m 130, it''s usually around THAT time of the month too, but it still gets me down.)

I''m happily back on the healthy train. It''s been a decadent few days and my body has been CRAVING healthy food and workouts. I managed to run and or get to the gym everyday since the 26th. I''ve got a running date with a friend this morning who is trying to get back into running, since it''s been a while it will be a walk/run/gossip time, so I''ll hit the gym afterwards.

Enjoying my fiber cereal and coffee as I type to you all (oh yes, back on the coffee train. Don''t think I''ll be giving THAT up again for a while! lol!)

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Seven, I am the same height and weight as you (maybe even 5 pounds heavier), and I also want to weigh around 105 to 110. I found that I started gaining weight in my late 20''s, and it''s really hard to get it off. I''m now 34 and trying desperately to lose the weight now before it gets any harder. I run 3 miles 4 times a week and do strength training when I feel like it, but the weight isn''t really coming off. I''m not to the point yet where I feel like analyzing every mouthful that goes into my mouth because I know that''s what it will take for me to lose the weight. I do try to eat healthy also, but I really am going to have start counting calories because until I do that, I won''t be losing the weight. So, I guess my advice is to start getting some more exercise in and start really watching what you eat, and you should be able to lose the weight easily. And at some point, I''ll start taking my own advice! I did resist the urge to eat a candy bar a few minutes ago, so one step at a time!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2006 9:28:56 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Good morning everyone!

Well, best laid plans and all that... I had intended to walk home from my hair appointment last night but I ended up buying some new sheets and towels at Bloomies and it was all way to heavy and bulky to walk with. This morning I did walk to work VERY quickly, and I took the route I don''t normally take with a huge staircase that goes from river level to upper street level, so I definitely got my heart rate up there!

Rod, I''m so happy about Sakai, and also that you''re having fun looking at real estate. My vote is ''sexy space''! We once lived in an amazing open loft on the Chicago River and EVERY SINGLE PERSON that walked in would stop dead in their tracks at the front door and screan ''WOW''! (Of course now we live in the most *normal* space in the universe, but that''s a whole ''nother matter, LOL.) And happy anniversary!

Mara, I sure hope you don''t get the flu. There''s something going around here that is just knocking people out so hopefully you''ll avoid it.

Loralei, I know
that I have to exercise *some* patience in this whole process--but let me tell you, that has never been my strong suit.
2.gif

Dee I know exactly what you mean, just think with every workout you are getting that much closer to seeing great results! Honestly, I started out doing 4 - 5 ellip workouts a week for half an hour, within 3 weeks or so I was noticing changes - keep going girl!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
My dad bought me this book (Buff Brides) for Christmas. Think he''s trying to tell me something? Ha! Anyway, it''s good because I can do the strength training part in my living room without having to have any fancy equipment. I''ve done two workouts so far, and it seems pretty easy to follow. We''ll see if I actually get any results though (says the pessimist in me).

My main problem continues to be cardio. In the past when I''ve ramped up my running to 20 miles a week or so, I''ve lost weight. But my schedule for January is working 5:30 am - 4:30 pm on weekdays, with one night a week until 8:30 pm, and one weekend day from 6:30 am-8pm. And my neighborhood is just not safe enough to run alone in the dark.

So that leaves me with the hospital gym. It''s only open 3 afternoons per week until 6:30. So I can probably go twice a week, and hopefully run outside on my one day off per week, but I''m guessing that this isn''t really going to be enough. Anyway, the goal is to go running tomorrow, since I have off, in addition to doing the Buff Brides strength training.

As far as eating goes, I should be back on track. Yesterday I had Special K for breakfast, a salad from Au Bon Pain for lunch, and some instant miso soup and some sushi for dinner. And a glass of milk for dessert, because I don''t think I get enough calcium.

I''m about 5''5" and my goal is to get back down to 115-117 range, though I''ll be happier at 120 than I am now. I''m currently at about 125-127, so I have a long way to go.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Just finished another great workout. I am feeling the need to psuh myself, which is great. I spent 70 minutes on the elliptical and burned 650 cals. I''m going to do some sit ups as soon as I finish my water, I''m THIRSTY!

Had a salad for dinner last night. Will probably have the same tonight as we''re going to dinner and a movie.

K

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results