shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 1st Oct till 7th Oct

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
jas if you can make it to dec you will be given the WWT award of perserverence in a bad situation!!! that's worth something right? not sure about on ebay though. how much are trinket diamond rings fetching these days? hehee. good for you on stopping at the 2 mini bars and those wouldn't even make a dent in anything i'm sure. speaking of, has anyone seen the 100 cal m&m, musketeers and twix bars at stores yet? what a great idea. i am tempted to get a baggie of the halloween mini candy like that for the office because one of the mini ones is only like 40 cals or something, but i think if i got INTO it i'd be hard to get out. so i refrain. for now. at least candy corn girl has been out this week, traveling or something, so i am spared another day or two.

marcy kudos on having come so far in your journey that something like yesterday didn't even cause a blip in your health radar. yay.

basil there is no such thing as a black sheep in this family!! really, in reading this intuitive eating i am trying to be better about how i think about 'splurges' or just going all out. if your body was really that hungry, it might have been trying to regulate itself after a week of too light eating. in this book it also says that our bodies don't think along the lines of 'oh today was a light day', it functions more with averages. so really it's more like what did you consume this week? and 3-4 light days might signal to it that it needs to eat more and causes what you might consider a bad binge or something with pasta and meat but really it's your body just TRYING to regulate itself. and 2 days won't set you back that much. and it's not like you consumed 5 containers of ben and jerrys hehee.

breakfast this morning was cinnammon puffins and go lean mixed up with strawberries. ff milk, almond milk, coffee. anyhow hope everyone is looking fwd to a good day (or in the middle of one!!). we FINALLY booked our acapulco trip for later this month, combo of my friend's wedding and my birthday....so we'll be enjoying a week in mexico at the end of the month. can't wait!! neither greg nor i have ever been to acapulco and it will be a lovely vacation...we're not really going anywhere the rest of the year so this will be a fun diversion. and ack, another opp to get into a bikini for a week. sooooo i've got 3 weeks to really kind of stay where i am. i have a lot more definition in my body now, and even my abs are showing some lines, woo hoo!! just gotta keep with it.

OH and how is this for a mood lifting compliment...last nite after my training session i was talking with the trainer/director gal about goals and all that and i asked what the guy who was there before me was in there for, aka what his goals were. she said he wanted to tone up etc and just be more fit. and i said that was i wondering because he was thin and looked in shape. and then she said yeah people come here for all types of reasons and that people don't have to be overweight to come there. and then she said 'that is what someone asked me about you last week. they saw you and said 'is she interviewing for a trainer position? and i said no she's a client'. so i thought wow what a compliment! considering that all the trainers i have worked with thus far are pretty in shape...i was glowing a little leaving there last nite hehee. so yeah i guess i'll stick with it.
2.gif

Kim the book is Intuitive Eating. can't recall who it's by but i'm sure amazon has it. i'm reading it slowly but it's interesting. as i was saying previously i am not sure i can 10000% embrace it but i has some interesting notions i really do agree with. and it gets more into how our bodies work which i find intriguing.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Tuesday all!

I wonder if what I thought was a cold might be some weird allergy thing? I feel pretty OK today, except for itchy eyes, and it just seems too quick to be over a cold. Hmmm...

Lorelei, I forgot to say earlier that this week''s opener was great! Thanks, as always, for putting things in perspective. And I *did* have carrot cake for breakfast (we celebrated September birthdays in my office today since I was out last week when we would have normally done it) and it was pretty darn good! (Knowing we were going to do that though I brought in some rotisserie chicken, which I''ll just have with baked lays for lunch, and a banana for a snack -- can''t be bad ALL day, LOL!)

Marcy, your pics from last week are truly inspiring!

Kimi, oatmeal, grilled chicken, fish and vegetables...
23.gif
Life just wouldn''t be worth living!

Chrono, good for you and the pre-1st-baby jeans!

Sharon, "eat to live, not living to eat" -- great philosophy!

Stephi, I need to do more weights too rather than just the cardio. Let me know if you find any really good arm exercises to take care of that "wobble" on the back/underneath of my arms...

Mara, wow! That was really interesting about the way the people who were on the restrictive diet really over compensated after wards. It''s amazing what a little deprivation will do to you.

NYC, is there any chance you can turn the trip to the park with your son into some sort of exercise? Maybe get one of those jogger strollers and run or walk fast with him?

Rod, I was thinking about you last night, knowing you and Charlie were going to have to eat somewhere else. It sounds like you made it through though!

Tdiddy, glad to hear that your revised eating plan seems to be working out for you.

Sarah, the hardest part is always getting started. Set a small goal; maybe have a smaller portion of ice cream or only 2 cookies, and get in the habit of exhibiting more willpower. You could also get some better options to substitute, e.g., Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (which are also good because since 1 is a portion then portion control becomes easier) or some 100 cal packs of cookies or other snacks to have in lieu of the other cookies. Over time it will get easier, especially once you start to see some results.

Basil, mmmm--beef stroganoff! I haven''t had that in so long; maybe I can get the HH to whip some up soon...

JAS - I will keep the 19th free in case you do decide we need to go out and drown your sorrows. Or even on the 20th if your DH will still be gone. Seriously, you deserve to do something fun that weekend!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahthewarrior, for me having to travel a lot I had a roller bag and a box that had wheels. I think they only cost $15 at Staples and it is a box w/wheels and handle so you might use that for your longer walks so you don't hurt yourself carrying stuff. Also, chop up celery and cucumbers and low cal popcorn to help with the munchies. btw Welcome!

Marcy, big whooo hooo for being able to do so much walking to find another classroom! I bet that makes you so proud of yourself and we are proud of you!!!

Jas, are you teaching middle school? I think kids are so finding themselves during those years so remember you are a wonderful teacher! Yay for staying at your low!!!

NYCSparkle, I think you should pull out the stroller and walk to the park if you can? Maybe pack your lunch at night so you have food ready for you the next day. I miss having you around; glad you popped in!!!

Rod, yay for enjoying a cheeseburger and forgoing the fries for chicken noodle soup!!! Enjoy the gym today!

Tdiddy, whoo hooo for your marathons and losing 2.5 lbs, awesome!

Hey Monnie, Yay for walking 4 miles w/the cute pups! Your dogs are such cuties.

Mara, whoo hoo for working out hard w/the trainer!

Basil, yay for the workout and healthy meal. You are doing well.

Kimi, how, I will keep praying for the baby; what a little fighter. I am glad for the improvement; I hope someday soon they get to take the baby home.

ETA (we were posting at the same time): DeeJay, I am glad you are feeling better. You can check out the pollen count at www.pollen.com to see if you have high levels of pollen. It maybe allergies.

Hi all I keep forgetting to tell you what I do what I do when I want to mindless eat or want something sweet
27.gif
. I love Halls sugarfree Kiwi-Apple throat drops; I don't have a sore throat but they are so yummy and satisfying to have something in my mouth.
I made Mara's banana bran muffins and we will have low fat beef stew for dinner. I will probably do a 3 mile walk today and then it is my sewing class tonight. Have a fantasticly FAB day all
35.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Hey peeps, thanks for the encouragement!

Jas, so sorry you missed your trip. It's so much harder when you think you have something fun coming up and to have it snatched away than to have never planned the trip at all. I remember once crying in the airport when my flight got canceled on my way to see my fiance.

Kimberly, hope you had fun at your play!

Mara, that's so awesome about the person thinking you were a trainer. You must be super buff. I'm trying not to worry too much about my splurges...as I said, I'm in no hurry to lose this weight since I'm not feeling my clothes tight or anything. I think in general the nonexistent or very light lunches are killing me in terms of getting really hungry for dinner then overeating. I change over to a new service on Monday so hopefully that will change for me.

DeeJay, I used the beef stroganoff recipe that was posted in the WWT recipe thread (I forget who posted it though). It has cream of mushroom soup and nonfat sour cream. I used a whole box of mushrooms, though, even though it only calls for a half cup or something.

Skippy, Yeay for another working out day for you! You're a walk-a-holic!

Anyway, today was pretty busy, but I did get a chance to grab a chicken soup for lunch. Breakfast was toast and PB (3 slices again), and for dinner I had sushi from TJs (low fat california roll) and beets. I had a pack of fruit snacks for dessert (60 cals). All in all, not so bad. No workout cause I worked pretty late, but I was going to rest today cause I went to the gym the past 4 days straight.

Just 3 more days til I see my fiance!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I hope you had a great day! We tried a new pasta sauce for supper that was very nasty.
8.gif
We decided not to try it again. It’s an alfredo sauce mixed with dried tomatoes. I carefully counted out my pieces of penne and weighed my sauce and ended up rinsing off my penne and put some pizza sauce on it. My husband mixed up some garlic and butter to help kill the taste of his pasta. It’s a good thing we had some tasty slow churn to have for a treat tonight.
Mara, I so like the way you think – recommending Jas call in sick. I am pretty obnoxious that way too. Of course, I would probably never do that but I would sure think about it. A protein wafer that tastes like a PB cup? Wow. The 100 calorie candy bars sound great. I don’t know if I’ll start down that road though; I am doing good with the minis. I was pretty excited last night thinking this is wonderful that I can do all this walking and standing without worrying about any aches and pains. What an awesome compliment another client thought you were a trainer. Woo hoo! You probably could be a trainer.
Basil, I hope you enjoy the HP books. I really enjoyed reading the series. Yeah for holding steady on your weight and for getting to see your FI in 3 days.
Jas, I like “temporarily joy challenged”; that is awesome! Can you just tell them you had plans out of town and can’t stay late Friday? What are they going to do about it? Yeah for being at your all time low. Thanks for saying I’m your WWTidol. That makes me smile and blush.
Kimberly, good news your friend’s baby is showing good signs. Enjoy the theater.
DeeJay, fall allergies can be bad. I am glad you feel better today anyway. Thank you for enjoying my pictures.
Skippy, thanks for being proud of me. I am really excited that all my new shoes seem to be working for me too. I wore my hiking boots today, went shopping at lunch today and all that walking doesn’t seem to hurt my feet. A year ago today I was really worried about waking up from my hernia surgery tomorrow. What a difference a year makes, eh? Your supper sounds great. Have fun at sewing class.
Have a great evening everyone.
35.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening Everyone.....

Monnie, you can check out a couple forums for BMW''s. One is called Bimmerforums.com and another is called E90Post.com. What you''ll find on the car forums is a lot of complainers. People don''t usually visit car forums unless they''re mad or have a problem, so don''t that skewe your view. And on the extended warranty. If you bought a good used BMW from a BMW dealer, you can get one they call "Certified" and it would come with an extended warranty to something like 100,000 miles. If you''re now working with an actual BMW dealer, get whoever you buy a used car from to include an extended warranty. You shouldn''t have to pay for it yourself. That would be part of the negotiation.

DeeJay, it does sound like you had allergies not a cold. I guess you might not be able to blame that on hot, buggy Florida.......LOL I hope you are feeling better.

Hope you''re feeling better Skippy. Yay for a three mile walk.

Mara, I would love to take you up on the offer to exorcise my pizza phobia. LOL For whatever whacked out reason, I fear pizza more than any food. It might be like opening the flood gates and I''m afraid I won''t be able to stop and I''ll gain all my weight back, and I''ll start smoking and I''ll be........well, you get the idea. I have been good about letting my guard down and enjoying more foods lately. Maybe, I could have a slice of pizza sometime and the clocks will still continue ticking.......Just Maybe........Hmmmmmm.

Jas, I hate to wish time away, but for you, December can''t come fast enough. You need to get out of the repressed environment. You''re too creative to be that stifled and unhappy. Don''t extend or accept a perm job if one is offered. There has to be something you can do out there that won''t make you cry sometime during the day.

Kimberly, enjoy the play!!

Welcome to our helathy family Sarahthewarrior. Stick around and you''ll find loads and loads of great healthy ideas for fitness and eating!

I was late getting to the gym tonight, but I went and had a really good workout. As I guessed, since it was so hard for people to get to the gym over the weekend that tonight it was just a mob scene. People were stacked up waiting for some of the more ''uber'' machines, but I managed to include everything I wanted and then some. By the time I hit the elliptical, I had pretty much run out of steam and wound up cutting a few minutes off. Of course having one of the more difficult machines made it a struggle. I did a really tough set of pushups tonight. I have been working on going lower and lower with my pushups. It''s really the beneficial way to do them, but Oh So Hard. The idea is to go so low you almost touch your nose to the floor. Try them sometime, it''s a tough thing to do. And I now do 60 of them every workout and often on days when I don''t workout too. I follow pushups with unassisted dips and chinups. I''ve made great progress on the unassisted dips. I can come down as far as most any ''uber'' guy can and I''m up to three sets of 20 each. I alternate dips and chinups.

I had another one of those Healthy Choice Steamer Bowls for dinner. I like them. They''re fresher tasting and have a bit more flavor, IMHO.

I guess that''s it for today. It was a humid and rainy dad in Sunny Florida. And of course I just wiped my car down last night. It''s just not easy to keep a car really clean when it rains almost every day. But, the rainy season will end soon.

Sleep well everyone.

PS: Where are you Gail? Haven''t heard from you in a while. Hope you''re OK up there in NC?

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, thanks for the welcoming words and encouragement!
35.gif

Well, I went ahead and got started today—no time like the present. After a good night’s sleep of three hours (ugh!), I had a bowl of whole-grain cereal for breakfast. For the first time ever, I actually paid attention to the serving size—1/2 cup of grape-nuts is nothing! For lunch, I had some homemade pizza made with fresh skim mozzarella and some tomatoes grown by my FIL. Delicious!

I got off the bus one stop early heading into class today, and it was nice to know that I could still easily make it in on time—might try two stops early tomorrow. I didn’t feel the need to get off early on the way home, as catching the bus after class tonight was a feat in itself. As I was coming out of the building, I saw the bus pulling up to the light (five minutes early!), so I ran all the way to the road to catch it, but it had already picked up everyone and was moving again, so I then had to chase it another block before the driver stopped for me (the next bus wouldn’t come for another 40 minutes, so I really didn’t want to have to wait). Whoo! Nothing like a good sprint to realize how out of shape you are.

DH was already making supper when I got home, so we had whole-grain pasta in a light cream sauce with peas, corn, and a little chicken mixed in. I love eating Italian, but it’d be nice if it were a little better for me. “Whole-grain” is my new mantra.

Marcy, while I love the idea behind the 100-calorie snack packs, they actually have the opposite effect on me. More like, “Oh, it’s only 100 calories, I can have another one”... and the next thing I know I’ve eaten five of them. Portion control, gah! I think I’m just going to have to rely on your method of not even keeping it in the house—DH will just have to deal (he’s getting a little tubby around the middle, too). Out of sight, out of mind. And I totally count my extra walking around campus as exercise, too. Stairs do wonders!

Mara, I definitely understand the premise of eating right and exercising not coming naturally. My parents never really made the right choices in either, so I really want to turn myself around before it gets out of hand. The women in my family, especially on my mother’s side, have never been good role models for this. I pray it’s not a genetic imbalance that hits when you’re older.
32.gif
And I love shitake mushrooms, but DH can’t stand them! Perhaps I could still convince him to cook them for me...

Dee*Jay, thanks for the encouragement! After joining this thread, I actually get such a guilt trip even looking at those Oreos DH bought that I wouldn’t dare eat them.
38.gif
I’d hate for my PS friends to think less of me! But you’ll be still there for the occasional indulgence, right? Right?
17.gif
And I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better—I definitely understand the allergy thing. Apparently I’ve dealt with them all my life and never realized it (I thought sinus infections were a normal occurrence!). It took a new doctor just seconds on my first visit with my self-diagnosed sinus infection to figure out I had allergies. Ah, Flonase! It’s like breathing a whole new world.

Skippy, I’m not sure I could bring myself to resort to the box on wheels—I already feel like such a dork for carrying around a lunchbox.
41.gif
I’m too old to be bringing a lunchbox to school! The popcorn is a great idea! DH uses an air popper, but he loads it with so much butter that it’s worse for you than the pre-made stuff. Maybe I’ll ask him for a small non-buttered portion the next time he makes it. Enjoy your walks—I’m really quite jealous.

Rod, thanks for the welcome! I’m already getting lots of ideas from reading other people’s posts. Good for you for hitting the gym! Push-ups are lifesavers for upper body strength, but I’m particularly partial to tricep-dips myself.
Hope everyone had a great day, and enjoy the rest of the week! I’m off to read some Greek...
34.gif

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
deejay: allergies are driving everyone in cincinnati crazy, too. i think everyone is mistaking it for a fall cold and really it''s just the extended summer allergies driving us all nuts. hope you feel better soo.

sarahthewarrior: welcome. if you like pasta, try the barilla plus pasta. it has 17 g of protein and omega-3''s as well. it also has like 7 g of fiber. it tastes the same to me and it is very nutritious. that way you don''t have to feel guilty when you eat your pasta. i also try to stick with the flavorful red sauces like arrabiata....the cream based sauces are heavy in terms of fat and make me sleepy. arrabiata is really light and has a spicyness to it...very good.

rod: pizza phobic???? OMG, i would curl up and die if i couldn''t eat pizza at least once a week.

jas: total bummer on the job and on not meeting Richard.

tonite i officially joined the gym. i still can''t believe the great deal i got but it''s nice to get acclimated and have a place to go again. today i ate a boca morning wrap for breakfast and for lunch. i love those things and they are so easy to make - 2 min in the microwave. for dinner i had a gourmet turkey burger from the local butcher (these things are soooo good with chopped red pepper mixed in) and baked fries. snacks were string cheese, an apple, and skinny minty light ice cream (turkey hill makes it and it is FAB). i ran 4 miles this evening on a treadmill and finished up with 20 min on the elliptical.

nothing else fun and new here. hope you all had a good day!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha basil..i don''t think i am really muscular or anything! i was kind of surprised to hear that but it was a nice thought for sure. hehee. motivational!

sarah, good for you for starting on the new healthier lifestyle right away today. every little bit and change DOES count. i think it''s a great idea to get tips and ideas from other people here, i do the same thing for sure. and we have a healthier recipe thread as well in the forum.

marcy if i had a job that was making me miserable, you bet your bottom dollar i''d be calling in sick to spend time with my husband in napa! no brainer hehe. but yeah it''s a tough situation poor jas is in. hang in there jas!!

today''s eating was typical good middle of week eating. cereal and berry breakfast, oatmeal snack, had a turkey sandwich from WF for lunch without 1/2 the bread and no mayo. snacks were 1/2 a luna bar, some wasabi almonds, string cheese. dinner was roasted rotisserie garlic and rosemary chicken from whole foods. i have been wanting to get one of those for a while since i read about how great they are for a quick dinner, you can also shred the chicken and make quesadillas etc...and then throw the carcass into a crockpot with veggies and make some soup! so i''m jazzed about that. so i heated up the chicken in the oven for a bit and had one of the breasts...and steamed some cauliflower, mushrooms, green beans. dessert will be some light gelato.

hit the work gym after work...just did 1.8 miles walking on the treadmill for 180 cals and then did weights for 20 minutes for arms as today was more a light/off day since i am hiking tomorrow. when i got home i had a 1/2 glass of ff milk with some protein powder for some muscle feeding...hehee. i''ve been reading a lot online about how to burn and lose fat specifically...on some of the more advanced fitness and training forums. interesting stuff for sure. part of what is advocated is making sure you get the right amount of protein, carbs and fat and the ratios that they suggest. i''m already doing a lower carb than typical, so my ratios are pretty much spot on ... like 40P/40C/20F...so that''s good to know! and not like i would not have something if it had too much of X or Y or anything but it''s good to know that i am eating pretty well according to these more advanced people who are into fitness and training.

rod you just let me know when you are coming down to N.CA and we''ll do pizza. but if you manage to conquer the fear on your own and had a piece or a small pizza...i''m sure you''d be fine! you are WAY too disciplined and intelligent about your weight loss and new lifestyle to fall for that mental mind trap for too long!

yum for carrot cake DJ. fall allergies are a drag. i''m sure ours are on their way soon. even portia gets fall allergies sometimes. skip hope the bran muffins were yummy and you got a good walk in.

anyhow time for some gelato and to finish logging my day in fitday and watch the bachelor, guilty reality pleasure! nite all!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, my food fear is my home baked chocolate chip cookies. I love the dough and I love the hot cookies. I won’t bake them unless someone is here with me. LOL. Like they could stop me from OD’ing on cc cookies if I was really bent on eating them.
Sarah, you are off to a great start! It is amazing how small a serving of cereal is; but it seems to keep me full longer than toast or even an egg and toast. Yeah for getting off the bus a stop early. I know what you mean about portion control; that is why the 100 cal packs work good for me. I leave them at my desk but work in a nearby office so I only go get one pack at break and that works fine for me. I eat 1200 calories a day and eat 5 to 6 times a day including my 100 cal snacks. My evening treat sometimes puts me a little over 1200 but I only get it if I’ve been stayed reasonably in my calorie range that day.
Tdiddy, I feel like I am allergic to the universe, I’ll be glad when we finally get a hard freeze here and kill some pollen. Yeah for officially joining the gym.
Mara, when I had a job I didn’t care for I used to hit the snooze alarm several times. I finally had to move my alarm away from the bed. I am sorry to hear cute little Portia gets fall allergies. That just isn’t right!
Sweet dreams by PS friends!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Sarah!

Dee I am so jealous with you having CC for breks.....was it very moist and yummy????
face24.gif

Hoping pants treadmill may be up and running soon.....
39.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock

Hi there. Down .2 pounds. YES, point-two pounds. 1/5 of a pound. That’s 3.2 ounces. For you folks playing along in the metric system, that’s 90 grams! And please stop playing along in the metric system. The math is killing me.

I appreciate all the support and well-wishes. Mara, yup, I’ll take the Ebay bling. Maybe we can custom design a diamond-studded dart board with Zippy the Pinhead’s picture right in the middle. I’m sure Ebay has something like that.

Rod, don’t worry, I don’t think this is the right place for me. I really do try to listen to the Unvierse. Just when I get complacent here and think, ‘Yeah, I could do this, here, for a career,” I have a series of really bad experiences that make me rethink that. So, ya know, I’m getting it. Plus y’all would smack me upside my virtual head if I did. So, barring any unforeseen crisis, I won’t be staying here.

DH was very saddened by having to do part of the trip w/o me, and then come home. We had one of THOSE talks, where I had to correct his misunderstanding that I was choosing work over him. The fact is (and I know someone asked this) that if it weren’t parent-teacher conferences, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought and I would have been on that plane no matter what. But conferences are so important for child and parent…and they are sort of on the sacrosanct list.

But he gets it now and we’re just going to figure things out in December. He made me promise to really, truly not rush into the next job out of fear of being unemployed. Which was cool. What was in the back of my mind, though was: if I get knocked up (presumably by my DH), we will need some medical insurance. DH is self-insured. I’m on Cobra from the last job.

Then I realized that’s an incredibly stupid reason to take a job.

But enough about that. I wish to sing the praises of cottage cheese today. It is lumpy and bumpy and salty and white. Despite the salt, eating it for lunch 5 days a week is totally making me happy and I think a major contributor to the 90 gram weight loss!

10.gif

Do any of you ladies do push-ups for your arms? Just wondering, because I’ve started doing them 5-10 at a time whenever I have a moment. I’m going for 100 a day. They are really hard – and I do the girly ones!

Skippy – hey girl! I am now at the high school level, although many of the freshmen are still, shall we say, transitioning out of middle school. You are a walking guru! How was sewing class?

Tdiddy – girl, I know! No Richard Marx. I was totally p.o’ed. I worship his hair. However, from what I heard, he was totally cool. It’s ok. When I go to heaven (snort), I will probably spend eternity with Richard Marx’s Mullet. Which would be really offbeat. Yea on joining a gym! That’s awesome! Color me jealous!

Marcy – sorry about the nasty pasta sauce. What kind was it so that I can avoid it? Or use it next time I have to bring treats to a staff meeting.

31.gif

Aw, Basil, thanks. Crying in the airport? That’s so sad! At least you only have a few more days until you see your sweetie! Yea!

DeeJay – are you feeling better?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi guys! Rod, thanks for asking about me! We were on vacation last week and went to the mountains. We did a lot of hiking and also some wine and cheese indulging. I couldn''t believe it but I was up 3 lbs when I got back! I didn''t want to come on and be all negative so I''ve been keeping a low profile this week. (Also, been really busy catching up on work stuff!) Anyway, 2.5 of those pounds have gone away since being back, so I''m glad. It is annoying that my body can take so little fluctuation from its usual routine. I mean, I wasn''t in the gym, but I was hiking for 2-3 hours a day and not upping my cals by that much, and that would pack on 3 lbs in a week? Give me a break.
By the way, Rod, you were not here in NC during the fall were you? If not, I''m sorry you didn''t get to experience the fall colors. To me it''s one of the highlights of this state. The leaves are just starting to change.
I hope everyone is doing well. TDiddy I saw that you dropped some weight, I''m so glad you are feeling better about things and I hope your marathon training is going well. Dee Jay I hope your last week at your job goes really well. Mara, glad the chair looks good. Marcy, your pics are really inspiring - keep up the great work! Skippy I always enjoy reading about your hikes and walks.
You guys might not hear much from me this month because October is super busy for me, so I have to limit my computer leisure time. But I''ll be checking in when I can and keeping on track, don''t worry!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All,

The play/muscal was fantastic. Harvey Feirstein (sp?) co-authored and plays a role, it''s based on an old Ernest Borgnine film. Really, really great.

So I gave myself two weeks and it''s time to start weighing in again. I''ve gained slightly inch wise, and there my weight sits at 127.2...my magic number, so weird.

3-Oct-07
Height: 5''5"
Weight: 127.2
Bust: 34"
Waist: 26.5"
Lower Waist: 31.5"
Bicep: 12"
Hips: 36”
Thigh: 20.5"

We had Chinese for dinner last night, yum, but man am I thirsty this morning.

I am observing today and then babysitting/tutoring this afternoon, will check in this evening or tomorrow.

Have a great day all!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I weighed in this morning and I lost 1.3 lbs!!! YAY
9.gif
I will be going for a walk this morning; you guys are cute calling the walking guru thank you. hehee Last night we had beef stew w/peas and carrots (low fat). The muffins turned out great Mara
3.gif
. Mara's banana bran muffins are excellent; my husband loves them too!!!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Wed!

Basil, you ate healthy so kudos.

Marcy, I tried a sauce similar to that and it was bleh. Sorry dinner wasn't the best but yay to ice cream! Yay for walk/hiking!!!

Rod, I am not sick; I just like the sugar free kiwi throat drops. hehee Hey, when you were in Paris did you go to Versailles; is it worth it? I still have time to figure that out but I was thinking about it.

Hey Sarah, sounds like you are doing well and yay for getting off before your bus stop, kudos!

Tdiddy yay for joining the gym; I love my gym for the weight machines. I am w/you I love pizza and make my own so I can control calories and sometimes I make english muffin pizzas. hehe

Mara, whoo hooo on the total body workout!

Lorelei, I hope your treddy is up and running for ya!

Jas, I am doing push ups but I can't do 100! Wow, I feel like a slacker only able to do 25! I am impressed and I do the girlie ones too! Yippeee for the weight loss; kudos.

Hey TanDogMom Gail, you will lose those 3 lbs quick!

Kimi, yay for staying at your magic number. Salt makes people a little puffy so remeasure next week.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning all!!

gail i wouldn''t believe the scale on the 3 lbs...if you were at a higher altitude for a few days then coming back could be wreaking havoc on your water retention or something. kind of like how flying in a plane messes with you for a few days. if you didn''t change eating that much and had lots of activity, i doubt you gained weight. you would have had to consume about 10k extra calories in a week for that to REALLY happen.

before i left the house today i tossed the chicken carcass (with legs and some meat still attached) into the crockpot with water, some slovakian spices (neighbor gave it to me and it makes everything taste more yummy), bay leaves, parsley, baby carrots, sliced zucchini, crimini mushrooms, onion, and cabbage and left it on for 6.5 hours on low to make a nice fresh chicken soup for tonite. i have additional chicken white meat that i pulled from the bird last nite that i''ll add in later. and i also have oyster mushrooms i wanted to saute up in some onions and evoo and then toss in for the last hour before we eat. and the TJ''s already cooked wild rice will go in as well the hour before eating. should be tasty this evening.

speaking of pizza, i brought my last slice of the pizza we had on sunday, the 2% mozz all veggie with me...for lunch and i''ll supplement it with the WF roasted turkey i bought yesterday for some extra protein.

i picked up the Kashi Go Lean hot cereal yesterday at WF as well...has anyone tried this? i tried it yesterday afternoon because i was curious and it tastes like a mix between oatmeal and wild rice. it''s kind of different. it''s vanilla flavored but i think i need to add some sf maple syrup to get it a bit more where i want it. the stats on nutrition are awesome though. one packet 40g is 150 cals, 7g fiber and 9g protein! and only i think 6g sugars. so definitely packing in the slow-digesting power there and for 150 cals it''s a great mid morning snack or breakfast even. the plain WF oatmeal i have is 150 cals for about the same grams, and 4g fiber and 6g protein.

sounds like everyone is doing quite well. i''ll hike this evening with my girlfriend at the preserve. we are going about 20 min earlier so that we can be sure to be done before sunset. i know though that in another two months we won''t be able to do the hikes in the afternoon anymore which is sad...because it will get getting dark at like 5:30 in the middle of winter. boo. so i''ll probably only do the hike with greg once a week on the weekends in the morning...so it''ll be a nice weekly ''treat'' i guess.

interesting note on the whole fitness forums thing i have been reading. a lot of these people swear by weight lifting and resistance training and not just cardio for weight and fat loss. one guy mentioned that he''d been doing a lot of cardio and was able to get the weight off with diet and exercise but that as soon as he stopped the cardio as much he started gaining again. this next time he did a lot of weights and also did some cardio and then i guess got injured and couldn''t really do cardio anymore for a while. well it''s been like 3-4 months since he has done really any cardio and he has not done weights as much at all either, just like 2x a week for maintenance and he has not gained a lb back. so that pretty much corroborates that there really is something to the whole weights build that much more muscle and that muscle burns that much more calories than just doing cardio. interesting stuff. i''m glad that i have added weights into my repotoire as it''s something i really have just dabbled in before but i can visually see differences in my arms and shoulders and my thighs as in just more ''toning'' going on...and if i am building more muscle that''s awesome as well. i imagine that my trainer will want to do the body composition mass test in another month or so to see if the 2+ months of the working out with them has assisted me in burning fat and building muscle, so that will be good to see.

anyway, enjoy your day all.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2007 6:43:12 AM
Author: Lorelei
Dee I am so jealous with you having CC for breks.....was it very moist and yummy????
face24.gif

Yeeeeeesssss!
11.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippee, I just got back from a 5 mile walk
2.gif
Mara have fun hiking w/your friend!! Also I always heard the best overall success for keeping weight off long term is cardio and healthy eating. People w/diet alone aren't as successful so that is interesting and good for our hearts too. hehee

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually skippy what i am reading says that basically weight training and resistance training is more effective than just cardio at keeping weight off. there are also diff types of cardio, aka low impact steady state (think elliptical for like 40 min at same level) and then there is high interval training (which would be elliptical at as hard as you can for 1-2 minutes then 1-2 minutes recovery at a lower level, keep going til 30 min)...which is a more effective way of doing cardio as you can burn same cals but less time. anyway...interesting stuff for sure. i like the idea of doing more weight training and less cardio for sure in the long-term.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I had forgotten about the whole altitude thing - that might have been it. I think I am retaining water too b/c my rings actually fit right instead of rolling around today which is nice actually. I did eat more b/c of the wine.cheese and ice cream, oh and a few chocolate chip cookies too, but it was VACATION and I am sure I didn''t eat 10,000 extra cals! The place we rented had a kitchen so we actually cooked all our bkfsts and dinners and had light lunches out. All in all, a healthy and fun vacation!

Has anyone had their basal metabolic rate tested? If so, tell me about that! I saw an ad for a place that does it near me. Since it costs like $80 or something, I want to find out if it is really accurate or whatnot. If it is, I think I will have it done because it will be useful info to know. Even if it''s bad news. I can see it now... "TanDogMom, your metabolic rate is the slowest this machine has ever tested, we have to send it off for recalibrating, it says you only burn 800 cals a day"...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Skip, I''m glad that I am maintaining instead of riding a weight roller coaster, but 125 is just more visually appealing to me than 127, so I''m still a tiny bit frustrated. I am only 1 week back into cal counting, so it''s definitely not worth being upset over.

I came home to change before heading off to kid-sit. I will have the younger boy today, so no homework duty, just lots of exercise and movement!

John is maknig tamale pie for dinner, 340 calories a serving...YAY!

Have a great afternoon all.

K

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
so, it turns out that not only is west african dance really fun...but my body likes it too! i got on the scale today to find that i have lost 2 pounds in the past 3 weeks, after being stalled at the old number for many months. very exciting!
36.gif

i hit the elliptical for about 50 minutes tonight and then came home and made a yummy tofu and eggplant thai curry for dinner. i''ll be finishing out the night with some slow churned. i was proud of myself today at work - there were all sorts of goodies from panera at our morning meeting, and i stuck to half a whole grain bagel with just a little bit of the honey walnut cream cheese.
18.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you got the temporary weight gain under control Gail and sounds like you had a nice week in the mountains. We actually arrived in NC on December 1, last year, but we did have a house hunting trip in early November and I do admit that it was really pretty with all the fall foliage in full swing. I still didn't care for winter one bit........I'm just not a cold weather kind of guy. Of course while living up there we bought like 3 winter coats each, because we didn't really have any. They're just hanging in a closet in Florida, and Rod hopes to not need to wear one this year!!!!

I'll surely let you know if we're ever heading towards NCal Mara. It would be great to meet you and Greg, plus dine in some the 'uber' cool places you describe. Interesting information you shared about weight training and cardio. You know we do a combination of both 5 days a week and I'm convinced it's a great combination. BUT, as you know, we're pretty intense and we've gained muscle, so both of us are actually a little heavier than when we were at our lowest weight, but clothes fit better. As in my waist is smaller, but my shoulders and arms are bigger. I actually put on a shirt today that used to be a bit big on me. It was actually a bit tight through the shoulders. I may not be able to wear this shirt much longer. How COOL is that??!!

Glad you're not sick Skippy. Way to go on the long walk!

Jas, enjoyed your post. Yes, let's hope if you get "knocked up" it will have been courtesy of your Hubby!! Glad you also know you need to get out of Dodge when the semester is over. Must admire your commitment to see parent/teacher night through!

Kimberly, we saw Harvey Fierstein in Torch Song Trilogy many many years ago. It was wonderful and so was he. I'm glad you enjoyed your evening. Funny comment about being so thirsty after having had Chinese. Ever since we read how high in sodium Chinese food is, we haven't had any in many many months. I do remember always being thirsty later too.

It was a long day for sure. And we didn't get to the gym until after 6, but I was pretty energized tonight. At least more energized than last night and I did a longer set of just about everything. Odd that I could do that as I didn't sleep well last night at all. I have found that sometimes I do better at the gym after a restless night. I don't really know why, but I typically do. I'm betting, I'll sleep better tonight too.

Anyway, I won't bore you with any of the workout details. You know, core, weights, cardio. Blah Blah Blah. LOL. It was just a good workout.

We will hit the gym again tomorrow night, then of course our normal Friday Sushi night. YAY.

Sleep well everyone!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, thank you for the helpful advice! I will definitely check out those forums and keep in mind that they''re full of complainers, lol!

I''ve now done so much research on cars and different makes that I''m about car-shopped-out. Kind of like when people here on PS eat, sleep, and breathe diamond research and then become a little overwhelmed. Sheesh. The latest interest is the Saab 9-3...Skippy, you drive a Saab, right? Did you mention a few days ago that you weren''t completely happy with it or did I dream that? LOL. I found a pre-owned 2007 for below my price range (bonus!) but I''m researching away before I go test-drive it later this week. DH has a friend who''s on his 3rd and loves them, so that''s kind of how I got turned onto them in the first place.

Truthfully, I''ve been so glued to the internet every night this week after work and household tasks that I haven''t worked out. Plus we''ve been busy at work traffic-wise and I''ve been organizing two in-store events so I''ve been kinda pooped by the time I get home from running around all day and never sitting down! I guess that kind of counts as a workout?
9.gif

Watching the Cubbies with DH this evening...99 years...maybe this is the year it''s gonna happen for them?
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Evening All!

I kidsat today...but I''ve been re-titled. One of my kiddos that I babysit is autistic, his mama and big brother decided I''m more than a babysitter, his big brother renamed me the "talker helper" because I come over to help B learn to talk. I think that''s the sweetest thing ever.

Today we: jumped on the trampoline, played rocket, played soccer, played red rover, played football and B rode his scooter. It was an active afternoon.

I''m observing tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Have a great evening all

P.S. Monnie: GO CUBBIES!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!
35.gif
I weighed 195.0 this morning so I lost some ounces but I am 1/10th of a pound from being minus 126 meaning I’ve lost a “mere” 125 pounds. Ha Ha. I finally got my hair trimmed today so I got rid of some of the poodle top. Woo hoo!
Lorelei, I hope your TM is up and running soon.
Jas, I just realized if I started counting in grams it would sound like I’ve lost so much more weight. I like that. Congratulations for loosing 90 grams. Yeah! Good idea to not rush in to any job you find; I know you’ll find something great when you start looking in December. I had cottage cheese for supper along with my remaining 14 penne pasta, a fruit cup and a small slice of bread. The cottage cheese was the best part of my meal. The nasty sauce was Classico Alfred with dried tomatoes; good idea to take it for treats for Zippy the Pinhead. Bake some cookies and leave them setting out for a few days too.
TanDogMom, I want to hop in my car and come see the trees there. I love to see the fall leaves and take pictures of them. Your vacation sounds fun. Thank you for the kind words about my pictures.
Kimberly, I am glad to hear the play last night was great. I like your new title.
Skippy, yeah for loosing 1.3 pounds. All that walking is paying off. Yeah for walking 5 miles today you little walking guru.
Mara, your chicken soup sounds really good. That is awesome you are building muscle and of course you should from your dedication to all of your workouts.
DeeJay, I am glad your cc was moist and yummy.
Shortblonde, that is terrific news you’ve lost 2 pounds.
Rod, you are really becoming a muscle man. Yeah!
Monarch, it sounds like you are all car searched out for awhile. That is why we made a list to help us pick. I hope you find what you want soon.
Well, sweet dreams WWT''rs.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha omg marcy your suggestion to bake some cookies and leave them sitting out for a while seriously cracked me up. what a fab idea for jas!! maybe she can put some dirt in them too. it''s nutritious right?
3.gif

anyway evening all!! the chicken soup turned out FANTASTIC. i''ll post the recipe in the WWT healthier recipes thread if anyone is interested. and it''s so amazingly light. i calculated what i''d put in using the sparkpeople recipe calculator and it was about 125 cals per serving and something like 3g fat, 6g fiber and 12g protein per serving. not bad!! i served us both 2 servings in big bowls and we had wheat toast with light butter as well as that''s the only bread we have in the house. poor greg who loves sourdough, but i just never buy it anymore. dessert was a mix of light gelato and soy ice creams. yummy. the rest of the day went well with eating. breakfast and snack was typical...cereal and then oatmeal. lunch was my leftover one slice of veggie pizza with 2% mozz from sunday, and 2 small (fairly dry when reheated actually) pieces of roasted turkey breast from whole foods. snacks were 1/2 a luna bar, a 100 cal balance bar, and something else i am zoning out on but it wasn''t bad. just don''t know why i can''t remember it. my girlfriend and i did a 5.4mile hike/walk today (more walking than hiking as we decided to take a diff more rolly/flatty hill way) in 1 hour 45 minutes and i had a string cheese snack when i got home for some protein before dinner.

my last 3 days average cals per fitday has been about 1500-1600 per day which is good. i really find that even though my nutritionist wanted me to do 1800 a day...that around 1600 is a sweet spot for me when i eat pretty clean. so i guess i could eat more but i don''t really feel like i need to which is good. and if i am hungry i do eat more.

so tomorrow is a trainer day...and then we have leftover soup for dinner tomorrow too...yummy. i am so looking fwd to it. it got rave reviews from greg as well.

rod...yeah def interesting on the muscle work vs cardio. i have been lowering my cardio a bit since doing more muscle work and i have noticed that it doesn''t seem to be hurting me to do less cardio. i still get in a lot of walking and my 2x a week hikes, but i am feeling less ''pressure'' to go to the gym on other days and burn like 500 cals. i am happy to do like 250 and then 20 min of weights on those other days. and i''m holding steady which is great. so i like the combo i have going on right now. and i''m getting more definition which the cardio just doesn''t give me. awesome that your shirts are filling out...yay!

anyhow, bedtime now...another busy day tomorrow. hope everyone had a great wed!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2007 2:19:07 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 10/3/2007 6:43:12 AM
Author: Lorelei
face24.gif

Yeeeeeesssss!
11.gif
owwwww!!!!
face21.gif

Pants treadmill is still pants. We got the new part fitted and... nothing. We await further instruction.....
14.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2007 2:53:34 PM
Author: Mara
actually skippy what i am reading says that basically weight training and resistance training is more effective than just cardio at keeping weight off. there are also diff types of cardio, aka low impact steady state (think elliptical for like 40 min at same level) and then there is high interval training (which would be elliptical at as hard as you can for 1-2 minutes then 1-2 minutes recovery at a lower level, keep going til 30 min)...which is a more effective way of doing cardio as you can burn same cals but less time. anyway...interesting stuff for sure. i like the idea of doing more weight training and less cardio for sure in the long-term.
Cool info Mara. To fill the gap caused by the pants treadmill, I have been doing some weights as well as the elliptical. Last night I did 45 mins steady pace ellip, then 3 sets of leg extensions at 60 pounds, 3 sets of butterflies at 25 pounds, Smith machine with just the bar as it was my first use of it for 3 sets. I always do 10 reps per set.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephi, I need to do more weights too rather than just the cardio. Let me know if you find any really good arm exercises to take care of that "wobble" on the back/underneath of my arms...

Dee I use dumbells a lot for arms, exercises for the triceps should help such as tricep kickbacks. What I do is support myself bending over a bench, rest the non working arm on it, then in the other hand, raise the weight behind me with my palm facing upwards in a steady motion. You can really feel the pull on the tricep muscle which will help tighten the back of the arm. Don''t go to heavy with the weight, only use what is comfortable initially - also see if the others can chime in about how to do this exercise correctly as that is only a very basic explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results