shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 18th Sept till 24th Sept

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock

mara, you are always such an inspiration! Your kickboxing and healthy eating really motivates one to stay on track.

My healthful life is getting a bit more on track. I went biking with husband over the hills at his parents house (palos verdes, for any LA natives) and today we are heading to the beach and i plan on walking for an hour while hubby surfs. Then its back to work this afternoon.

Had cheerios and a banana this morning, not the healhiest, but better tham MIL''s banana bread sitting on the counter that I really wanted!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, it's disappointing to hear that girls don't give you kudo's for the incredible work you've done for your body and health. Do you think perhaps they're jealous of your accomplishments?? One would think the reverse would be true for men, but men seem to be able to say things at the gym they might not say elsewhere. Who knows in our odd repressed little world. It's so easy to offen these days, even when someone's not trying to be offensive in any way.

Well, we have seen your pics and you know how proud we all are of your dedication, hard work and positive outcome!! As msflutter said, you do inspire, entertain and educate us, particularly with food choices!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha thanks guys....i know i have my own cheerleading team right here! we are all awesome about giving each other props IMO.

rod i don''t take offense if people don''t say anything at all to me...it''s just that i know when *i* see gals in class, i often think wow she looks good but i don''t go up to say anything. if i don''t have a chance to interact with her i probably won''t say anything to her, but i will think it. it''s not jealousy for me...i actually get really inspired by gals that look fit, but then again i just tend to go to class, and leave...i don''t interact with too many gals since it''s not a ''gym'' atmosphere.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2006 2:21:14 PM
Author: Mara
haha thanks guys....i know i have my own cheerleading team right here! we are all awesome about giving each other props IMO.

rod i don''t take offense if people don''t say anything at all to me...it''s just that i know when *i* see gals in class, i often think wow she looks good but i don''t go up to say anything. if i don''t have a chance to interact with her i probably won''t say anything to her, but i will think it. it''s not jealousy for me...i actually get really inspired by gals that look fit, but then again i just tend to go to class, and leave...i don''t interact with too many gals since it''s not a ''gym'' atmosphere.
i find that very interesting Mara. I mean I always believed ladies were way more open with their feelings and I would think that girls would tend to naturally tell each other when they appreciate what someone has accomplished. I would never imagine the reverse would be true and it''s us repressed guys who slap each other''s rear ends in response to lifting extra weights!! LOL Maybe gyms are the path to an alternate universe........
9.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, it''s been a while. My students gave me a nasty cold last week, so I haven''t been working out at all for the last 2 weeks. I''m finally getting over it now - yay! On the nutrition side of things, while I was feeling really ill, I was eating so much, and such bad stuff! Easy Mac (which I normally dislike), and lots of toast, and more and more carbs, less and less fruits and veggies and protein. I was sure I was going to gain a few pounds. Apparently, my body just needed carbs to get over my cold, because I lost weight and (with the help of zinc lozenges) my cold is almost gone! This morning I weighed in at 151.5 lbs, down from 153 2 weeks ago! And it''s TTOTM so I''m bloated, so the weight loss is really cool. I can also button my skinny jeans, although I''m still muffin-topped. Also, I had to skip yoga today because I was helping a student with the class. But hopefully on Friday I''ll be able to make it!!

Date: 9/19/2006 11:45:53 AM
Author: Lorelei
It was something I read a few years back, about a slim and glamorous lady in a restaurent. She ordered dessert and ate only a couple of bites and pushed the dish away. Her dining companion was amazed and asked if she intended to waste the dessert? The slim lady just smiled and said '' after all the work I put into keeping slim, I think it would be even more of a waste if I finished it!''

Lorelei - this is really helpful- Thanks!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2006 2:26:25 PM
Author: Rod

i find that very interesting Mara. I mean I always believed ladies were way more open with their feelings and I would think that girls would tend to naturally tell each other when they appreciate what someone has accomplished. I would never imagine the reverse would be true and it''s us repressed guys who slap each other''s rear ends in response to lifting extra weights!! LOL Maybe gyms are the path to an alternate universe........
9.gif
Yippee, I know how to quote now! Thanks to you, Rod.

It''s unfortunate but true that women can be very catty. I love it when I see my friends succeed, but that''s not how all women feel. I actually had a friend tell me I was "too thin" on multiple occasions towards the end of my major weight loss. She was the heaviest in our group of friends after I lost weight and I think it made her uncomfortable; everyone else was very encouraging. I was/am by no means "too thin" I am 5''5", weigh 137 and am well proportioned, except for being way too busty which makes it almost impossible for me to look "thin" no matter what I do. That may be TMI, but I just wanted to share that I don''t think it''s uncommon for some women to not be encouraging, especially when they are jealous, uncomfortable in their own skin. And I can be rather shy with strangers so I wouldn''t be likely to approach someone and tell them they look great, not because I don''t think so, but because I would feel strange doing so.

I am not working out today, my foot just keeps getting worse. I am going to the MD tomorrow, I think I''ve snapped a tendon or something. We went to a play last night and by the time I got back to the parking lot I was limping like a dog who got hit by a car. I iced it when we got home but it just doesn''t seem to be getting any better. I need my feet for the 3Day so i have to be careful. Grrr! I am such a klutz (I walk into, fall over something at least once a day, it''s so stupid!) and it''s affecting my ability to work out now and it''s very frustrating, especially because I didn''t do anything stupid!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going back to kickboxing class tonight (it''s only offered once a week at my gym) for another butt-kicking
9.gif
! Last week after I went I was sore for three days...hopefully it will start to get "easier" from here. I''ve been working on my lower half at home and doing lots of stretching and I hope that it helps for this week''s class.

To chime in on women giving each other compliments--I hesitate to give other women compliments sometimes because it seems like every time I do, they negate it with "oh, I still have 10 pounds to go, I look terrible," or something to that effect.
20.gif
So unfortunately it frustrates me to the point that I''m not overly generous with compliments anymore. I''m talking more about random people, though. When it comes to my friends or people I see on a regular basis I have no problem telling them when they look great. I totally don''t slap them on the rear end, though, hee hee.
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2006 2:51:42 PM
Author: monarch64
I''m going back to kickboxing class tonight (it''s only offered once a week at my gym) for another butt-kicking
9.gif
! Last week after I went I was sore for three days...hopefully it will start to get ''easier'' from here. I''ve been working on my lower half at home and doing lots of stretching and I hope that it helps for this week''s class.

To chime in on women giving each other compliments--I hesitate to give other women compliments sometimes because it seems like every time I do, they negate it with ''oh, I still have 10 pounds to go, I look terrible,'' or something to that effect.
20.gif
So unfortunately it frustrates me to the point that I''m not overly generous with compliments anymore. I''m talking more about random people, though. When it comes to my friends or people I see on a regular basis I have no problem telling them when they look great. I totally don''t slap them on the rear end, though, hee hee.
9.gif
The slapping on the butt doesn''t happen too often in our universe either, but I have actually seen guys do that on more than one occassion in our gym. Personally, I thought it odd, but hey, who am I to say what''s right or wrong behavior in the gym. It took me a long time to understand this alternate universe to begin with. I mean, until my 51st year, I had never stepped foot in a gym.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/20/2006 2:40:09 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Date: 9/20/2006 2:26:25 PM

9.gif

It''s unfortunate but true that women can be very catty. I love it when I see my friends succeed, but that''s not how all women feel. I actually had a friend tell me I was ''too thin'' on multiple occasions towards the end of my major weight loss. She was the heaviest in our group of friends after I lost weight and I think it made her uncomfortable; everyone else was very encouraging. I was/am by no means ''too thin'' I am 5''5'', weigh 137 and am well proportioned, except for being way too busty which makes it almost impossible for me to look ''thin'' no matter what I do. That may be TMI, but I just wanted to share that I don''t think it''s uncommon for some women to not be encouraging, especially when they are jealous, uncomfortable in their own skin. And I can be rather shy with strangers so I wouldn''t be likely to approach someone and tell them they look great, not because I don''t think so, but because I would feel strange doing so.

I am not working out today, my foot just keeps getting worse. I am going to the MD tomorrow, I think I''ve snapped a tendon or something. We went to a play last night and by the time I got back to the parking lot I was limping like a dog who got hit by a car. I iced it when we got home but it just doesn''t seem to be getting any better. I need my feet for the 3Day so i have to be careful. Grrr! I am such a klutz (I walk into, fall over something at least once a day, it''s so stupid!) and it''s affecting my ability to work out now and it''s very frustrating, especially because I didn''t do anything stupid!
Kimberly, sounds like a form of tendonitis, which can take a while to settle down. Good idea going to the doctor, but I would recommend the doctor be an orthopaedic doctor, someone who specializes in this sort of problem. Good luck and hope your foot feels better soon.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
good day all,

i spent the morning at the dentist -- ouch -- filling some cavities.
14.gif

now i''m having ridiculous allergies. it is rather blustery here, so maybe all the allergens are being blown about, but i''ve basically given up trying to understand my unpredictable bouts. i figure a run after work might help straighten it out.

yesterday, our book club was at this great little cafe. i was part
12.gif
(veggie wrap) and part
11.gif
(sweet potato fries) but i rationalized that there is a lot more nutritional value to a sweet potato than a white potato
2.gif

tonight i''ll be making my own food so it''ll be all
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think ladies can be more open sometimes like with their own friends, but i am not that open with strangers. i think men are equally as open or closed with strangers or friends. like i am way more likely to tell a friend she looks awesome than a stranger at the class. i may THINK she looks great but i won''t go up and say it. but i think guys typically just say it and don''t care about if the person is known or not. it''s funny because i do think women can be catty, i am pretty mentally catty about things like fashion or hair or similar BUT when it is related to gym or working out, i only think pretty positively stuff .... like i don''t really think ''boy she looks really big in those pants'' at my class or at the gym, but i do think ''wow she looks fab, i want to totally kick it up a notch now!''. its like because you gotta respect the fact that they are there bettering themselves or something, that natural female catty gene is somehow put on hold. hehe.

so i just got my hair done, woo hoo. i''m cute again. hahaha. i hate that last week before a hair appt, you feel like your roots are winking at everyone, the length is too long, split ends, etc. i also noticed that in the salon mirrors i looked much smaller than last time i was there!!! especially my arms and shoulders look more toned and smaller. so that made me feel more cheery too.

for lunch i just had some hummus after my appt...i was starving! i had spicy and garlic hummus from TJ''s and a positive thing was that they were out of the middle eastern euro flatbread i like...because it''s YUMMY but it''s also high in calories at 150 pieces for 1 bread which is not that much actually...and i typically eat like 1.5 breads when i eat it for lunch...so i had to improvise and got a whole wheat pita pack in substitute and it was 130 calories for 1 pita which was actually heavier than the flatbread and more fiber and wheat than flour! i just had one pita with a few servings of hummus and i am totally stuffed! i also got extra hummus for next week when i am doing the detox, because it''s a perfect snack or lunch.

dinner after kbox workout is sushi with my girlfriend...mmmmm!!!

kimberly, take care of your foot! the other day after my treadmill workout i felt like the top of my right foot was totally sore!! it hurt just sitting in my shoe, like it had swollen or something. i had to take my shoe off and massage my foot a bit, i don''t know what the deal was but i was just hoping, please don''t let it be injured somehow because that would suck! but it felt okay by the next day. don''t know what the deal was but hopefully it''s nothing. keep us posted.

monarch, good luck tonite on your kbox workout!! don''t forget to add in the jumping jacks after like i do, hee hee. i''m determined to get you gals doing jumping jacks! i''m convinced they work!

kudos lulu and JCJD! progress is fab!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I had another fascinating round of k-box tonight! I felt more confident about it this week, kind of being familiar with how the class went and what it was all about was helpful, I think. Last week I went in not knowing how long the class lasted--I thought it was 60 minutes, TG it turned out to be only 45! So this week instead of looking at the clock and wondering when I was going to drop dead, I looked at it and thought "I can definitely do this for 20 more minutes!" LOL!
9.gif
I did NOT do any jumping jacks when I got home, Mara, we did more jump rope and jumping jacks during the class, so I feel like I got all my jumping around done in one shot, hee hee. There will probably be some arm/weight action going on here before I go to bed, though, for maintenance. I''ve been doing those every other day religiously again for the past few weeks, and I''m still very happy with the definition I achieved and have maintained since this spring. I love to wear ribbed turtleneck sweaters in the fall/winter, so I know I''ll keep up my arm routine for sure--can''t have that flab underneath showing up again come Christmas or New Year''s!
2.gif

Oh, also Mara, if you are noticing swelling or pain on your feet at all when you''re on the treadmill, you may have just a shoe laced weird or too tight. Sometimes all it takes is loosening up the lace a tiny bit, or even making sure your sock isn''t doing anything "crunky" on your foot, i.e. no seams digging in anywhere. I''ve had that happen before and just had to re-adjust a bit. If you''ve changed your incline at all that might be affecting it too...you''re using your foot a little differently each time you change that incline, ya know? And I think you mentioned you were on the treadmill for an hour at a bit higher incline as well--my feet do tend to swell a little, especially after the first 45 minutes or so--so that might be causing it too. Nothing major, just one of those discomforts you have to figure out little tricks to deal with.

I almost forgot--I wanted to mention that today I tried a little bit of my co-worker''s veggie burger--it was a Morningstar Farms spicy black bean burger and it was SO good. It totally didn''t taste like a veggie burger at all, and it had actual whole black beans and corn in it. Very tasty, indeed. I think one patty is about 130 calories, and so good you could eat it without a bun, or even wrapped in just a tortilla with some fresh avocado snuck in there. Mucho fabulouso!
9.gif
(OK, so I took French in high school, lol)
35.gif

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/20/2006 2:40:09 PM
Author: KimberlyH

It''s unfortunate but true that women can be very catty. I love it when I see my friends succeed, but that''s not how all women feel. I actually had a friend tell me I was ''too thin'' on multiple occasions towards the end of my major weight loss. She was the heaviest in our group of friends after I lost weight and I think it made her uncomfortable; everyone else was very encouraging. I was/am by no means ''too thin'' I am 5''5'', weigh 137 and am well proportioned, except for being way too busty which makes it almost impossible for me to look ''thin'' no matter what I do. That may be TMI, but I just wanted to share that I don''t think it''s uncommon for some women to not be encouraging, especially when they are jealous, uncomfortable in their own skin. And I can be rather shy with strangers so I wouldn''t be likely to approach someone and tell them they look great, not because I don''t think so, but because I would feel strange doing so.

I get that once in a while too, and I''m about the same size you are--5''6" and 135ish. Not fat, but certainly not too thin. Sometimes it''s jealousy, maybe, but sometimes it''s meant as a compliment, I think.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay monarch, your class sounds great...thanks for the tip on the shoe and lacing and all that, i do sometimes get weird foot feelings when i am walking, like my sock and shoe has to be JUST RIGHT or else it bugs me. also it could have been the longer distance at the higher incline for sure, i have never gone as long as i did at this incline like i did this time. so hopefully my feet will just adjust.

worked out tonite and then had sushi, yum!!! tomorrow is another kickbox and then friday is a gym workout. i can tell that my body is adjusting to the daily workout regime now as i am less and less sore from day to day kind of thing. makes doing the workouts easier too because i am not as sore or dealing with tight muscles.

read some interesting articles in Shape today during my hair appt...i also wrote down a recipe for ''power pancakes'' which uses protein powder, egg whites, cinammon and cooked stone ground oatmeal to make these crepe kind of pancakes that are healthy with fruit on top! i am thinking maybe i could adapt it next week for the detox and use soy milk instead of the egg whites as the liquid. thoughts? anyway i totally want to try these things! they looked yummy in the mag and it sounds super easy, just mix the stuff together and make pancakes! then put fruit on top, yogurt, light whipped cream, whatever. and the whole serving is only like 280 calories with fruit. not a bad breakfast, esp after a workout as it has something like 48g of protein. rod maybe you guys can try it for one of your weekend trainer after workout foods?

also Shape had another article that was about what to eat at fast food places if you have to eat there. BK had a veggie burger which was only about 320 calories and 10g of fat and was primarily soy and spices and got rave taste reviews i guess. it said hold the mayo to lose another 60 calories or so. at KFC they said there was some sort of roasted chicken sandwich that had tomato and lettuce that was about 420 calories. arbys had one but i dont eat there so i dont remember it, mcondalds had some sort of grilled chicken sandwich that was about 500 cals or similar. there was one more that i can''t remember....oh i think taco bell..they suggested one of the burritos ala fresco style. so there ya go, if you have to eat fast food, there were like 4 items under 500 cals that were not bad with fat, all under 12g i think.

hope everyone had a great night!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that was helpful JC! It is another 'help' and a good thing to use as a reminder not to go overboard and ruin all the hard work. When it comes to leaving desserts though I doubt I have that kind of willpower ( as someone who can eat a 3 scoop huge banana split with all the trimmings then finish Hubby's up
11.gif
) I could really do with a piggy smiley!

Mara funny you should say that about the free weights, one of Hubby's work colleagues has a set of dumb and barbells he doesn't use and says we can have them for free
3.gif
3.gif
I am nagging Hubs to arrange a pick up time with him as I think they will give me some variety.

Workout went well this morning, half an hour treadmill and 20 mins ellip. Strength training again tomorrow, I can feel some soreness - my sides are sore and my shoulders but at least I know it is doing something. One thing I am not keen on is my right arm is getting a bit too muscular, I might have to reduce what I do with that arm with the ST
23.gif
Strong arms are very useful to me with the horses but I don't want them too bulky! The extra strength is paying off with Naughty Horse, we have our twice daily battle to clean his feet and I can hang on much easier now as he snatches away!
16.gif

Great job everyone, nearly the weekend! As Lulu says the energy in this thread is really inspiring!

Also I am able to get Shape magazine too - the US one and it is full of inspiration and useful tips. I also avidly read Hubby's Men's Fitness too!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Today is my day off from the gym. My body is just tired from working out hard and from standing all those hours at school. My fiance was on my case and said I should ''just go and do cardio. You can do cardio every day!'' Ugh! Considering the only cardio he ever does is play golf once or twice a week (usually riding) five months of the year, I don''t think he should talk! But then again, all he had to do was stop drinking soda and he lost weight. Men!

I realized that I might be eating too much at my tastings... I should just take a bite of a piece of whatever it is, instead of eating the whole piece.

I''m thinking of weighing in at Weight Watchers tomorrow instead of my usual Saturday morning. I''m going to my aunt and uncle''s for the Jewish holiday tomorrow night and there is going to be so much food and I don''t really want to temper myself too much. Do you think that''s cheating?

Mara -- tofu noodles are great. They taste like noodles basically. Maybe a little denser. But like regular tofu, they adapt to whatever is cooked with them. I mixed a little terryaki sauce and some spicy sauce. So yum. And so few calories. I haven''t seen them anywhere but at the Japanese market though. I might have to stock up today! My trainer thinks I need to focus more on portion control than on eating a lot of a whatever is low calorie. But who can resist a huge portion of noodles that is only 40 calories?!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking of weighing in at Weight Watchers tomorrow instead of my usual Saturday morning. I''m going to my aunt and uncle''s for the Jewish holiday tomorrow night and there is going to be so much food and I don''t really want to temper myself too much. Do you think that''s cheating?

Amanda, do you think you could modify what you have to eat a bit? That way you can still indulge but watch the fat and carbs and eat smaller portions. Or you can eat what you want ( within reason) and knock some calories off daily for the next week to make up for it. For example if you drop 200 cals daily, over a week that adds up to 1400 and could allow you to eat and be merry without gaining weight!
3.gif
I would do a mix of the two - eat carefully but have some of the things I want and cut back daily.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 9:10:09 AM

Amanda, do you think you could modify what you have to eat a bit? That way you can still indulge but watch the fat and carbs and eat smaller portions. Or you can eat what you want ( within reason) and knock some calories off daily for the next week to make up for it. For example if you drop 200 cals daily, over a week that adds up to 1400 and could allow you to eat and be merry without gaining weight!
3.gif
I would do a mix of the two - eat carefully but have some of the things I want and cut back daily.
I could defintely do that...
I''m more concerned with the number for some reason. Well, I know the reason... last week I stayed the same and the week before I gained. So, I''m hoping for a drop and I''m worried that I won''t drop if I weigh in on Saturday. But, I''ll try to be good no matter which day I go.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the info about the tofu noddles amanda! that could certainly hit the spot, i''ll have to look into finding an asian grocer. last night, i made whole wheat penne that has some kind of flax seed oil enrichment (Omega-3 oils) with some fresh tomatoes and a little bit of homemade pesto. yum. both my husband and I have learned to love the whole wheat variety of everything -- whole wheat pasta, pitas, tortillas and brown rice --

i made it to the gym and ran for three miles. when i got home, i decided against pilates, because i really was feeling like the bottom of a boot. turns out my flare of allergies was actually the onset of a cold.
14.gif

but i''m stocked with soft tissues and zinc lozengers, so hopefully it''ll be a short stint in my system. however, i think i''ll take a rest from the workouts today.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thursday Everone!

I was feeling a little off last and almost didn''t go to the gym, but I went anyway. Glad I did, the exercise was just what I needed and I felt so much better after working out. Nothing unusual to report. Did my weights for 2.5 hours and then the elliptical for an intense 45 minutes. The scale was my friend this morning as it says I''m down 3 pounds from Monday!

Tonight is day three of three in a row gym sessions, then tomorrow is a day of rest and Sushi! Yummmm.

Also, bought some 70% dark chocolate bars. Much much much better. Evidently with chocolate, more is definitely not better when it comes to the cocoa content!

Lorelei, new toys for the fitness center eh?? You really need to start charging people admission.

Mara, I know what you mean about the daily workouts and adjusting. Our one year anniversary since joining the gym is rapidly approaching and we''ve religiously been going 5 - 6 days a week since we joined. I don''t really feel soreness anymore. Ocassionally my shoulders are littel sore if I push them. Or my abs might be a tad sore if I do a lot of crunches and of course our trainer has evil ways of making things sore by having us do routines. But overall, I think our bodies have adjusted really well to being pushed to the limit. Sounds like that''s what''s up with you too. Keep it up!!

Again........Happy Thursday All!!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 10:36:25 AM
Happy Thursday Everone!

I was feeling a little off last and almost didn''t go to the gym, but I went anyway. Glad I did, the exercise was just what I needed and I felt so much better after working out. Nothing unusual to report. Did my weights for 2.5 hours and then the elliptical for an intense 45 minutes. The scale was my friend this morning as it says I''m down 3 pounds from Monday!

Tonight is day three of three in a row gym sessions, then tomorrow is a day of rest and Sushi! Yummmm.

Also, bought some 70% dark chocolate bars. Much much much better. Evidently with chocolate, more is definitely not better when it comes to the cocoa content!

Lorelei, new toys for the fitness center eh?? You really need to start charging people admission.

Mara, I know what you mean about the daily workouts and adjusting. Our one year anniversary since joining the gym is rapidly approaching and we''ve religiously been going 5 - 6 days a week since we joined. I don''t really feel soreness anymore. Ocassionally my shoulders are littel sore if I push them. Or my abs might be a tad sore if I do a lot of crunches and of course our trainer has evil ways of making things sore by having us do routines. But overall, I think our bodies have adjusted really well to being pushed to the limit. Sounds like that''s what''s up with you too. Keep it up!!

Again........Happy Thursday All!!
2.5 hours of weights??!! Geez... I''m lucky if I can fit in 15 minutes!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulu I hope you feel better!

Rod how on earth can you cope with 2 hours of weights and motivate yourself to do it??????????? Some days I have to confess I really have to be firm with myself to complete my workouts and I am happy when they are done. I couldn''t workout for that length of time, any motivational tips would be great! You must truly love working out!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning all! Until I see the MD (this afternoon) I am taking it easy. I did weights, sit ups and leg lifts though, so I don''t feel like a complete lump on a log.

Not much else going on in my exercise world. Hope you are all having a wonderful Thursday.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2006 11:14:04 AM
Lulu I hope you feel better!

Rod how on earth can you cope with 2 hours of weights and motivate yourself to do it??????????? Some days I have to confess I really have to be firm with myself to complete my workouts and I am happy when they are done. I couldn't workout for that length of time, any motivational tips would be great! You must truly love working out!
First my apologies. It wasn't 2.5 hours of weights. It was 1.5 hours of weights, followed by 45 minutes on the elliptical. I have actually done 2.5 hours worth, but could barely lift my arms or legs, so I decided it was too much and death by muscle spasm seemed not too pleasant.

Our gym is pretty big and there are lot's of machines and a huge free weight area too. Originally, we used what they call the Express Fitness Center, which was a segmented group of machines and you could to the circuit in about 35 minutes (it's the newbie area). Then, we began to venture past those machines into "bigger boy toys" and we just sort of kept adding new routines over time. Somehow, 1.5 hours seems to go by pretty quickly now. We start with core strength training. Then the Express area. Then the bigger machines. Finally, free weights. With free weights, there are so many options and varieties of things one can do, that you could spend a couple of hours just playing there.

I wouldn't say I "LOVE" working out. What I love is what working out has done for my mental and physical well being. The alternative, not working out, is depressing to me. So, we push and we push and as long as I am able, I intend to keep this up. But then I'm an obsessive compulsive person to begin with, so there you go...........
19.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone
35.gif

Happy Thursday.
I guess it''s okay to pat myself on the back today. I''m getting into a workout groove and I''m working with all
types of weights. As soon as I can figure out the other big machines, I''ll give those a try. My "NEWBIE-NESS" shows!
I''m motivated even more when I see tanned, fit seniors working out in the afternoon...I want to be just like them when I reach their age
5.gif

Gee..it won''t be long now..I''m almost there
28.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2006 4:47:13 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Hi everyone
35.gif

Happy Thursday.
I guess it''s okay to pat myself on the back today. I''m getting into a workout groove and I''m working with all
types of weights. As soon as I can figure out the other big machines, I''ll give those a try. My ''NEWBIE-NESS'' shows!
I''m motivated even more when I see tanned, fit seniors working out in the afternoon...I want to be just like them when I reach their age
5.gif

Gee..it won''t be long now..I''m almost there
28.gif
Well here''s another pat on the back Jeff!! There are several guys at my gym, who are unquestionabley older than me and in even better shape. I''m betting they''ve worked out way more years than moi, but I''m working to reach their level and I WILL do it. You CAN too!!

Keep up the good work!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/19/2006 5:47:45 AM

Date: 9/18/2006 4:48:20 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
hi All,

I hope i can get a good massage here? Rod told me I would
31.gif

Last tueday my massuer (weekly at home for Drena and I) went in very deep and hard around my shoulder blades. (I hold stress there when nasty stuff happens; we had 2 rahter nasty interactions with GIA at the Symposium the week before).
Anyway, he worked me over very hard.
Next morning at the gym, after 30 minutes of bike and treddle thingy, and doing the last of my 6 weights - pull downs - something popped just under my shoulder blades.
So my massuer (Alah from Bagdad) had better not go so hard tonight!!!!

Does this mean you will be reporting in regularly Mr Holloway?
9.gif
Probably would not count on it Lorelei.
But it is great to see you''all egging each other on here.

I was bad on Wednesday - they scheduled a 7am meeting, and i do mon, wed, fri at 6am.
I could have gone on Thursday - but, well, routine you know.

But I will be tested on sunday for my regular ride because Michael and Fiona (who are 5 and 10 years younger) have been working out their quads with 10 days skiing in NZ.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe go garry!!

today has been a total mixed bag. we had a big event at work so i had to be there at the crack of dawn, okay more like 7:30..and then did not leave til 4pm when it was over. i got everyone donuts on my way in (i had to get something for everyone), i wanted to get bagels but i just didn''t have the time to go there when the donut place is right up the street from my house. so of course i knew i was going to have a donut (i had already looked up nutritional info on them last nite). but i had like 5 1/4''s of various donuts instead. hahaha. i just liked tasting them. anyway....then for lunch i had a few bites of hummus with multigrain crackers, and then after the event was over, i had 2 beef ribs (leftover from lunch) and a 1/2 a coke and an english butter toffee ! on the way home i was tallying up everything i had eaten, not SURPRISINGLY too bad for the day actually. even though i don''t consume coke and donuts typically! so when i got home i was totally tired and started feeling hungry so i ate some hummus and crackers and then fell asleep...well that TOTALLY made me feel like crap...now i am tired and the food i ate is like a congealed lump in my stomach. don''t you hate that??? so overall i haven''t had a ton to eat today but i am just feeling so gross! i''m supposed to go work out at 8pm and i hope can i get the energy...i know i''ll feel okay once i get there but my schedule is just so out of wack! on the flip side, if i don''t go to workout, i know greg and i can get a walk in but i feel like i should go esp due to the donut and coke monster. hehe. for dinner i can''t even think about it but i think i am going to tell my hubby that i''m just having cereal and he is on his own tonite. blah.

hope everyone else had a good day...not a congealed hummus lump belly day! wah!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/21/2006 10:05:15 PM
hehe go garry!!

today has been a total mixed bag. we had a big event at work so i had to be there at the crack of dawn, okay more like 7:30..and then did not leave til 4pm when it was over. i got everyone donuts on my way in (i had to get something for everyone), i wanted to get bagels but i just didn''t have the time to go there when the donut place is right up the street from my house. so of course i knew i was going to have a donut (i had already looked up nutritional info on them last nite). but i had like 5 1/4''s of various donuts instead. hahaha. i just liked tasting them. anyway....then for lunch i had a few bites of hummus with multigrain crackers, and then after the event was over, i had 2 beef ribs (leftover from lunch) and a 1/2 a coke and an english butter toffee ! on the way home i was tallying up everything i had eaten, not SURPRISINGLY too bad for the day actually. even though i don''t consume coke and donuts typically! so when i got home i was totally tired and started feeling hungry so i ate some hummus and crackers and then fell asleep...well that TOTALLY made me feel like crap...now i am tired and the food i ate is like a congealed lump in my stomach. don''t you hate that??? so overall i haven''t had a ton to eat today but i am just feeling so gross! i''m supposed to go work out at 8pm and i hope can i get the energy...i know i''ll feel okay once i get there but my schedule is just so out of wack! on the flip side, if i don''t go to workout, i know greg and i can get a walk in but i feel like i should go esp due to the donut and coke monster. hehe. for dinner i can''t even think about it but i think i am going to tell my hubby that i''m just having cereal and he is on his own tonite. blah.

hope everyone else had a good day...not a congealed hummus lump belly day! wah!
All day business meetings are the absolute worst. It''s virtually impossible to be good with donuts staring at you. But then, you bought thd donuts. Bagels wouldn''t have been much better I suppose and I guess you couldn''t just dump some granola bars on the table and tell everyone to dig in!! I''m not sure I could pass donuts up either. Coke on the other hand, pure fattening sugar. Since Coke can melt the gunk that forms on battery cables in your cars engine, I don''t understand why it doesn''t just burn holes in peoples stomach linings??? Sure am sorry you had a congealed lumpy food day. It was just one day and you''ve been a powerhouse lately, so I don''t think you''ll suffer much, other than to remember how you felt my not eating as healthy as you typically do.

Anyway, hope you either made it to the gym, or you and Greg enjoyed a nice long walk. Tomorrow''s a whole new day!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Day three in a row of three in a row gym days.....Check.

Whew.......I''m beat. My arms hurt. My hamstrings hurt. My shoulders hurt. Since tomorrow is a day of rest, I typically work out hardest on Thursday nights. Tonight, we did a light Express Machines circuit and then we spent over an hour on free weights. I pushed to the point my upper arms were burning, so I''m guessing I''ll be rather sore tomorrow. As usual, we ended the session with 45 minutes on the elliptical. I keep increasing the levels, so in 45 minutes I traveled 5.69 miles (a new record for me) and burned 737 calories (or so the machine said). Then I had an exciting Lean Cuisine Spaghetti and Meatballs. I do enjoy that one. And we shared a ripe mango and then I had two squares of dark chocolate. Yumm.

Tomorrow as you know is Friday, which means? Yep you know me.......SUSHI!!!

Sleep well everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results