shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 13th Nov till 19th Nov

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
thanks turtledazz

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I had all good intentions of waking up early this afternoon and going for a run outside, since it''s the only day in a while that it hasn''t rained. Unfortunately, I ended up sleeping until 7 pm! Ugh, only 2 more weeks of this schedule. Then, my fiance will be here and we usually work out together, so he''ll motivate me.

Eating has been OK. I''m off tonight and tomorrow night, so it''s difficult for me not to sit around and snack all night since I''m usually pretty bored. I have some 100 calorie popcorn bags, some strawberries, some apples, some hummus, and some mini 190 calorie key lime pies. So at least I have some healthy options available.

For Thanskgiving, my parents are coming to stay with me. They''re the greatest - they are putting down new hardwood flooring in my dining room for me! I picked out a nice medium brown bamboo. I think it''s going to make a big difference from the old worn out scuffed up floor that''s there now. My mom will be cooking, and I don''t know exactly what she''ll make. I think she wanted to roast a turkey breast, bake some sweet potatoes, and have some sort of green vegetables and stuffing. It won''t be the big production of a Thanksgiving that we usually have with the extended family, which I''ll miss, but I guess it''s OK if I skip one year.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone,

It's Friday night. Am sleeping better these days since making the major decisions. We've signed the final contract on the condo in Raleigh and have been told the developer has accepted. We're just waiting for the signed contract back.

We think we've found a fully furnished apartment we can rent until our condo in Tampa sells and we can close on the one in NC. It will be double expense for a while, but it's necessary.

Typically, I take Friday's off from a fitness perspective, but I just had an overwhelming desire to run this afternoon, so I put on my running clothes, made sure the MP3 was charged and hit the sidewalk. It was just a beautiful afternoon to run. I just ran and ran and am not really sure how far I ran, but I could have kept going. I only stopped because I had to meet Charlie at our favorite Sushi spot at 6. Otherwise, I might have run forever!

Anyway, we can't workout tomorrow. Our gym is closed for their family picnic. They only close one day a year, so we'll rest tomorrow and be back at the gym Sunday.

Sorry you didn't get to run Basil. Hopefully you'll get back on track when you FI gets back.

I hope everyone's looking forward to a great and healthy weekend.

Lorelei: You and Charlie would get along great. Cinnamon pie with pumkin flavoring...........

32.gif
14.gif
38.gif
But I'm a good partner and always to say it's the best I've ever had. It's the only time I allow whipped cream on my pie, 'cause it helps to tone down the spices. LOL

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
happy friday all!!

hit up the gym tonite. here''s an interesting tidbit. first off my HRM is not reporting the same amount of calories burned as the machines are anymore. i don''t know what changed but my HRM is registering a lot less calories, basically about 70 less per hour. nothing HUGE but those 70 can mean the diff between being there an extra 20 min or not. anyway...i don''t know what happened because my HR was 150-170 basically for an hour so i was working hard and burning and my machine was showing my HR correctly and showing calories but my HRM was not matching. kinda weird.

anyway, because of the discrepancy i worked out harder to make sure the HRM registered as close as possible to my goal within the time limit i had at the gym (1 hour basically). interestingly enough, when i stopped i got off the treadmill, went to get some water, went to wash my face and hands, threw on my sweater, grabbed my bag, got to the car, started it up and looked at my watch. i usually leave my watch on ''exercise'' until i get into the car because i know i am burning calories still since i just stopped working out (i don''t even have time to stretch sometimes) and i want to maximize the whole calorie thing for the workout. when i got off the treadmill the watch said 570. in the 5 minutes that it took me to get off and get in the car (and whatever i said in between), it went up to 605. so i burned 30 more calories in 5 minutes doing almost nothing, just walking, picking up the bag etc. 600 was my goal for the night so i was like wow i made it after all i guess. i left the exercise mode on since now i was curious. in the next 10 minutes (just me sitting in my car driving to pick up portia) the watch registered a calorie burn of 640. so my total when i stopped it was 640 since at that point my HR was at 95 (where it was when i started basically). but how random is that! so here i am working my butt off for an hour burning calories, and for 15 minutes after i stop working out, my body is still burning at an accelerated rate, pushing me past my goal for the night. i know it''s kind of like ''cheating'' but i figure my HR is still high (as long as it''s over 100) from the workout so i might as well count those extra 10-20 calories or whatever. but an extra 70 calories burned in 15 minutes as my heart rate comes down? super interesting. and almost makes me not as peeved that the watch is suddenly not registering what it was before.

strange technology!!! but at least i made my goal for tonite...weird watch or not.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning everyone! I just got back from the gym and they have some new treadmills so I tried one out. I think I like it. I ran 2.5 miles today (an increase from 2.0 for the past week) and I''m feeling great!! I got a cramp half way through but managed to breath it out...anyone have good tips for that (it kind of hit me suddenly and surprised me since I haven''t had that problem as of yet).

BAD NEWS THOUGH: I finally managed to get on the scale at the gym (it was broken last week). I''ve put on close to 5 pounds since the end of April. That is FAR worse than I thought (but would explain why my pants are fitting so tightly)! I''m trying to get back down to 120 (end of college weight) and I''m currently at 127.2.

LuLu: CONGRATS on hitting that target!!! That''s awesome!

Basil & Rod (and anyone else that wants to chime in): I already asked Tybee this but what''s on your MP3 player? I always like to get some ideas for upbeat songs that will keep me motivated.

Mara: That is so awesome...I really need to get me one of the HRM...maybe a Xmas present.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

We''re heading to my parents today for an early family get-together/thanksgiving (celebrating on Monday). I''ll get some good walks in with my nephew (He''s almost 1 and just loves going for walks in his stroller!). My plan is start working jogging into my routine as soon as my leg is back to normal. It gets better every day, that''s good news!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey scarlet...

i require loud fast beat music for my workouts because otherwise my mind tends to get bored and wander and i find i am less effective. i actually need some new songs because right now my ipod is too repetitive since i have my favorites.

anyway here are some of my absolute favorites for workouts on my ipod. i really like remixes too, when someone else takes an old song and puts a fast beat behind it and plays around with the original song. some of my best workout songs are like that...but it''s hard to find them!!

salt n'' pepa - push it
black box - strike it up
c&c music factory -gonna make you sweat
dj sammer - i like to move it
dj popo - i see right through to you
alice deejay - do you think you''re better off alone
christina aguilera - genie in a bottle (remix)
michael jackson - bad; beat it; burn that disco out; etc.
shakira - hips don''t lie
spiller featuring groovejet - if this ain''t love
sir mix a lot - baby got back
tito - i like it like that
whitney houston - it''s not right but it''s okay
pink - stupid girls
ntrance - stayin alive (redone)
new order - bizarre love triangle (extended dance mix)
madison avenue -don''t call me baby
gorillaz - feel good
earth wind and fire - september 99 (remix)
gigi d''agostino - i''ll fly with you
kelly clarkson - miss independent
beegees - jive talkin
who da funk - shiny disco balls
eiffel 65 - blue

and then i have all these songs from this group called ''royal gigolo''s and they do remixes of old songs. the three i have are ''self control'' ; ''i feel like somebody''s watchin'' me'' and ''california dreamin''. they basically take snippets and parts of the old song and weave them into a really fast techno hard beat. it helps for when i want to walk fast. i really LOVE these three songs and need to get more from them so i was going to check it out this wkd.

got up early today, i don''t know why!!! but anyway i decided to do an at home kbox/bootcamp workout since it''s chilly out and i can monitor my calorie burn and make sure i hit my min here from home vs a class where it is what it is. have a great day everyone!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2006 10:10:33 AM
Author: scarlet16
Good morning everyone! I just got back from the gym and they have some new treadmills so I tried one out. I think I like it. I ran 2.5 miles today (an increase from 2.0 for the past week) and I''m feeling great!! I got a cramp half way through but managed to breath it out...anyone have good tips for that (it kind of hit me suddenly and surprised me since I haven''t had that problem as of yet).

BAD NEWS THOUGH: I finally managed to get on the scale at the gym (it was broken last week). I''ve put on close to 5 pounds since the end of April. That is FAR worse than I thought (but would explain why my pants are fitting so tightly)! I''m trying to get back down to 120 (end of college weight) and I''m currently at 127.2.

LuLu: CONGRATS on hitting that target!!! That''s awesome!

Basil & Rod (and anyone else that wants to chime in): I already asked Tybee this but what''s on your MP3 player? I always like to get some ideas for upbeat songs that will keep me motivated.

Mara: That is so awesome...I really need to get me one of the HRM...maybe a Xmas present.
I have like 7 hours of non-stop highly charged, no break between songs heavy disco type music on my MP3. I just bought a bunch of those Mixed Dance songs at Borders. Sometimes I like the song, sometimes I don''t, but the rhythm is what I wanted and the music keeps me at a good running pace if I''m outside and definitely keeps me pushing hard on the elliptical in the gym.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did some dumbells carefully with Hubby earlier, biceps and triceps and leg extensions, I have noticed I have dropped some more fat recently, and I am now happy with what I have achieved, I just need to maintain it now with the exercise and watching the calories.

ETA - forgot to mention Rod, Charlie and I probably WOULD get on great as we have similar taste in pies! Does he like lemon??

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2006 11:14:03 AM
Author: Lorelei
Did some dumbells carefully with Hubby earlier, biceps and triceps and leg extensions, I have noticed I have dropped some more fat recently, and I am now happy with what I have achieved, I just need to maintain it now with the exercise and watching the calories.

ETA - forgot to mention Rod, Charlie and I probably WOULD get on great as we have similar taste in pies! Does he like lemon??
Oh yes he likes lemon. He loves spice, like clove, nutmeg and especially cinnamon. One year he used so much clove in his cinnamon pumkin flavored pie that it burned, but he loved it and that''s all that matters. He so enjoys making his pies that I would never try to dissuade him from having his fun.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve been thinking at trying my hand at a pumpkin pie this year...ready made crust of course. i made a pie from scratch (crust too) a few years ago but it wasn''t sweet enough or flavored enough, so i just never did it again since it was a lot of work and i can buy one from an awesome bakery that is homemade by someone who knows what they are doing for $20. so i figured why bother?! but now i am thinking i can experiment a bit maybe...with a ready made crust. and maybe a cooking light recipe to make it not quite SO bad for me. since i tend to eat all the leftovers myself. hee.

i love spices too, the pumpkin pie spices are the BEST!!!! cinammon mmmm! i *always* overspice things with cinammon.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Good morning everyone! (or afternoon?)

I want to get one of those Polar watches!. The thing is the color I like is on the F11 model (an ice blue or something(, which is like $50 more than the F6. The F6 only has the pink option for the ladies' watch. I know it's kind of silly to send more just for the color, but I never really treat myself to anything and I just got a bonus at work for a project I did....so maybe I should just get the one I want!.

Yesterday I did the 20-20-20 class. 20 minutes of kickboxing (with 3lbs weights!...not easy!!!), 20 of rumba and 20 of yoga. Then I went for a 20 minute walk with my doggie and we stayed here for dinner (grilled skirt steak with chimichurri sauce -home made of course!)-, baby potatoes on the grill and a wedge salad with low fat blue cheese dressing)....YUMMY!. I just had a few of those little potatoes though.

This morning, the usual breakfast, rumba class (which lasted almost 1.5 hours!) and a low carb wheat wrap with 1/2 avocado and some of the remaining skirt steak left from last night. Tonight we will probably go for a walk and tomorrow is my day off!...no gym, just the walk!
9.gif

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!

M~

Oh! Mara, if you find a good pumpkin pie recipe post it please!!!. This year will be my second try. While I'm a good at cooking, I'm not so good at making desserts!!!!!. Last year I made a pumpkin pie and everything was great, but the crust shrank a bit too much when I was cooking it
14.gif

ETA: My goal was also to get to lose 5 lbs to get to 120....but I decided that while I will continue to use the scale, I'm just going to go by measurements....so I got a measurement tape!!!...I created a little excel sheet to keep track of my measurements weekly to see if I see a change. I'm a bit of a nerd, so I use excel for everything...hehehe.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mara,
That''s funny..I have Eiffel (blue) on my MP3 player.
Weird song but upbeat
1.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,
Just checkin'' in. I had a difficult week of road travel with heavy rain every day. I fought a cold
but it wore me down and I missed a week at the gym. I''m going today and I''m looking forward to it.

Keep on TRACKin
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All,

Went for a long but slow paced walk yesterday (about an hour) which felt really good! Might not have burned a ton of calories but my shin reacted fairly well. It still hurts but nothing too terrible.

We''re at my parents for an early Thanksgiving so today we''ll be making pies, grocery shopping all that fun stuff. I''m making enchiladas for dinner.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
so i went to the gym today, problem is that i felt kind of weird and tired all day and my digestive system is kind of upset. so i slugged off to the gym and forced myself through a workout, but my stupid heart rate monitor is DEFINITELY wacking out because what it is registering is just so darn low, and on machines at paces i am familiar with, it is only registering about 3/4 of what i am doing. my dad says to reset it entirely and i am going to see if i can find the stuff that came with it and read troubleshooting, but he was saying it might just be a defective one. ugh! what a pain.

so i burned anywhere between 470 and 540 calories, based on what the HRM vs the machine said. it''s probably somewhere more in the middle, but i''m so peeved that i can''t accurately track right now, that is a big delta so something seems wrong.

anyway i am totally tired now, i don''t know if i just needed to eat more today or my body is just not feeling well from some weird bug, but i am DYING for dinner. i''m making a seared scallop with pesto and fresh sweet tomatoes dish from cooking light, and then we are doing a mashed potato experiment (aka i am making 6 potatoes, then mashing 2 for 3 different types of recipes to figure out which one i want to make for the family on thanksgiving) which should be a fun little side food diversion for tonite. and then i got us a piece of fresh gingerbread cake from the market (yum!) for dessert. anyway have a great night everyone!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

Beautiful day down in Sunny Tampa. We didn't get to work out yesterday because our gym was closed for their annual family picnic, so we went this afternoon. I was feeling more like Mara (sorry to hear about your heart rate monitor not working right), kind of sluggish to begin with. But then the endorphens kicked in and I managed to do a pretty full (2.5 hour) workout. I was feeling a little tense in my mid back, so we started with extra core strengthening exercises on a mat, followed by 100 pushups on an uneven surface (really good for core strength). Then the usual machines and this time we did extra free weights before hitting the elliptical. Anyway, my back is feeling much better and so am I after working out. Funny how not being in the gym two days in a row can make me cranky.

I'm going to run tomorrow as we don't typically go to the gym on Mondays. We've decided we will work out on Thanksgiving day, while our turkey cooks. This, we think will help us feel less guilty about the calory sins we will surely consume throughout the day!!

We usually go shopping the day after Thanksgivining, but we've sort of decided to not buy a lot of gifts this year and save more money for the move and upgrades in the new condo. Besides, we're constantly buying stuff (bought new sweaters this weekend - on sale of course at Macy's) and we'd just have to move whatever we bought anyway. So, Christmas will be a little light this year.

Anyway, will check in tomorrow and see how everyone's week is shaping up. Hope everyone's looking forward to the shortened work week and turkey day!

Ps: Do tell us which potato recipe wins Mara. Love love love your food and cooking descriptions!!!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
mara: i''m assuming that the way that the polar calculates calories burned is based on HR, right?
well, the longer you keep up a strenous exercise program, the stronger your heart gets. so your heart rate will get lower over time even though you are doing the same exercise. i guess that applies to calories burned as well; i mean obviously there''s a pretty direct connection between calories burned and heart rate, otherwise how could the polar calculate calories? also, if you''re losing weight and entering that into the polar as a factor to determine how many calories you''re burning, then that''s another reason why it shows that you''re burning less.

well, i''ve been looking at this thread for a while. at first i was thinking "why does anyone care what anyone else is eating or how much they''re exercising?"
then i began to think that maybe it''s not so much about sharing it with others as it is getting it down somewhere and keeping track of what you''re doing--and in a public forum, it''s even more of a commitment tool than recording it in a private journal. only just today i suddenly realized that wait a minute, I''VE BEEN READING ABOUT what other people are eating and how much they''re exercising for weeks!!!

okay, so i''m in.

yesterday i walked mostly, but jogged about 3/4 mile, for 1 hr, 15 min on treadmill. when walking, i had it on 3-5 incline except for the last 10 min it was flat.
today i just walked, about an hour, mostly on an incline.
on friday i did a bunch of situps and my midsection was sore all weekend. i''m really out of shape. but i''m pretty motivated.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nejarb, yep i know what you are talking about re the heart rate lowering over time therefore you might burn less calories, but that is not the case here.

on friday my heart rate was in my MAX range for hard workout, which is 150-175 (this only happens like 2x a week) because i was working out SUPER hard because i was upset that the HRM was not registering what i wanted it to so i kept ratchetng up the workout to try to get more burn going. and yet the HR was registering about 20% less than what the machines were. plus my heart rate varies depending on how i feel that day. i mean sure if my heart rate was like 110 and i was registering way less calories, that'd make sense. but to have it be as high as it was and not show the burn was ridiculous.

and i am not losing any more weight, so my weight is not changing and has not changed in about a month. in fact it's gone up a pound or so. so that shouldn't really factor in either re: big changes. but yes if i had lost weight and changed it on the HRM (required for it to show a diff), then it would burn and show less calories.

so really there's no obvious explanation as to why my HRM would suddenly start registering way less calories. and i mean suddenly as in one day this week it just started doing it. i mentioned it to my dad too and he's had his HRM for a few years now and he was baffled as well.

greg has the same model for men so i am tempted to have him add me on his as a user and use it at my next gym workout AND use mine too at the same time and see what his registers vs mine. if his matches the machines, mine is definitely broken.

and actually nejarb, people in this thread DO care and like reading about what the others are doing...part of it is a motivational thing and also it helps to read what other people are doing...you can get recipe or diet ideas or ideas on how to maximize your workout at the gym, or try a new workout that someone else likes etc. so this thread is way more useful than just putting down the information on a daily basis on some thread. i keep an excel chart to do that. anyway, welcome...hopefully you will get something positive out of the thread!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2006 10:38:16 PM
Author: nejarb

mara: i''m assuming that the way that the polar calculates calories burned is based on HR, right?
well, the longer you keep up a strenous exercise program, the stronger your heart gets. so your heart rate will get lower over time even though you are doing the same exercise. i guess that applies to calories burned as well; i mean obviously there''s a pretty direct connection between calories burned and heart rate, otherwise how could the polar calculate calories? also, if you''re losing weight and entering that into the polar as a factor to determine how many calories you''re burning, then that''s another reason why it shows that you''re burning less.

well, i''ve been looking at this thread for a while. at first i was thinking ''why does anyone care what anyone else is eating or how much they''re exercising?''
then i began to think that maybe it''s not so much about sharing it with others as it is getting it down somewhere and keeping track of what you''re doing--and in a public forum, it''s even more of a commitment tool than recording it in a private journal. only just today i suddenly realized that wait a minute, I''VE BEEN READING ABOUT what other people are eating and how much they''re exercising for weeks!!!

okay, so i''m in.

yesterday i walked mostly, but jogged about 3/4 mile, for 1 hr, 15 min on treadmill. when walking, i had it on 3-5 incline except for the last 10 min it was flat.
today i just walked, about an hour, mostly on an incline.
on friday i did a bunch of situps and my midsection was sore all weekend. i''m really out of shape. but i''m pretty motivated.
Der Nejarb,

I think you hit the nail on the head. It''s important to me and I know others on this thread to document what we do, and it keeps me motivated to make sure I have something to contribute often. Plus, I do enjoy reading about other''s accomplishments and if possible be available to offer some help when someone has a question I may be able to answer.

I also agree with your assessment about the heart rate monitor. I haven''t written this yet, because I thought it was a fluke, but lately I''ve noticed on my monitor and on the monitors of the machines I use, that about 20 minutes into a hard session on the elliptical my heart rate just goes down. And by going down, I mean from say the 150''s to the 80''s. And then I notice, I''m no longer breathing hard at all. In fact, as hard as I want to push, it''s as if I''m barely doing anything. So, I have to increase the levels to get my heart rate up. And then I asked my trainer what was up and he confirmed what you surmised above. Thanks for adding your input.

Congratulations on the walking and jogging. Doing situps is also a really good core exercise. Do you belong to a gym? If you don''t and want some other good core exercises (yep here comes the plug guys), I highly recommend a book by Mark Verstegen called Core Performance Essentials. It''s filled with terrific things you can do at home to increase core strenght.

Anyway, welcome and glad you''re no longer a stranger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results