shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 13th Nov till 19th Nov

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week to all!

Yuck....I am sitting here with a VERY painful back right now, just the more intense pain from my spinal condition - I haven''t injured myself. So I can''t go and workout AGAIN. Hopefully tomorrow it will be better and I can get back into it. I am going to keep this short as it hurts, I hope everyone is doing well!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww lorelei i''m so sorry to hear you are injured!!!! have you been doing core strengthening exercises as well aka things like crunches and similar? maybe do a bit of pilates. the stronger your core the more tough your back becomes apparently. so i hear!! anyway hope you feel better!! make sure to rest up.

last nite i planned out our week of menus and also what i am going to eat for lunch and breakfast this week. after last week i need to make sure that i stay on track this week and don''t let sloppy with my eating habits, because i want to see that scale back at 141! even if i look the same and measure the same, i know i can do it, so i just want to be sure that there''s no slippage going on. i am really happy i got my workouts in last week even with 3 days off...and this week i am planning to burn about 2900 calories instead of my typical 2500 per week, to help with last week''s deficit.

and man the weather is gross now!! we''ve had rain and cold and all we want to do is cuddle on the couch. anyway hope everyone is having a good monday!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Week!

Lorelei: I am so sorry you are hurting! Not fun.

I COMPLETED THE SAND DIEGO BREAST CANCER 3DAY! WOOHOO! What a sense of accomplishment.

One of my teammates fell on the first night. We were walking to the dinner tent and she tripped on an open post whole (why it wasn't covered is beyond all logic!). We ended up in the ER, she fractured her wrist and has some serious road rash on her face. She skipped day two but walked on day three. What a champion!!

I did really well the first two days. At the end of day two I developed shin splints in my left leg which made day three rough. I put some Biofreeze on it, wrapped it in a bandage and finished out the miles though! I'm a bit gimp today (I was yesterday too!) so I think exercise will be lightfor the next week or so.

My parents drove down to suprise me at closing ceremonies, which was so awesome of them (they live about 160 miles north of San Diego). My husband was just awesome, he trained with me, he sat in the ER with my teammate and I, he brought me extra bandaids when I ran out. He's such a champ.

All in all the experience was just amazing. The gaggles of people who came out to cheer us on, many dressed up and passing out food and drinks along the way, the people who decorated their houses along the route, the support staff and crew, it was just such a wonderful thing to be a part of. It reminded me how good, kind and generous people are and how powerful a group of people banding together truly is.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful beginning of the week.

ETA: The San Diego walkers raised $11.3 billion dollars and counting for breast cancer research. How amazing.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay Kimberly!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You''re awesome--congratulations on your accomplishment and thank you for your contribution to raising awareness and raising money for the breast cancer cause!
35.gif

Lorelei: sorry to hear you''re having back issues. I hope you feel better soon...

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
ETA: The San Diego walkers raised $11.3 billion dollars and counting for breast cancer research. How amazing.

WOW!

congratulations kimberly! i''m completely impressed reading about your experiences. it''s amazing all the support and enthusiasm and that is some serious money!

feel better lorelei!

monarch: daisy is just too cute!

mara: i normally try to plan out a week''s worth of meals to. preparation is half the battle
9.gif

I had an amazing weekend. Both my DH and I work for the government, so we got to enjoy the little celebrate veteran''s day! The weather was sublime, so we went for a great bike ride in a park with another friend. it was nice to get in some cardio out in the sunshine surrounded by autumnal loveliness. it was also good that both of us had free time at the same time -- we just got to spend some much needed quality time together.

now it''s monday, very dreary and i''m fighting off a cold. oh well.

i can''t believe it''s almost thanksgiving!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS Kimberly!!!!!! How wonderful were you and your teammates and everyone who participated!!! Kudos and rest up now that it''s all over!!

Lulu, I agree, prep is half (more than half?) the battle.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bummer LL, hope you are better soon.

Congrats Kim! Great to be part of that accomplishment!

DH was off today so we went to the gym together. Kinda fun, had a good workout and did more weights that I normally would. The spin class was going on while I was there and thought seriously about joining....maybe next time. But the music was great so I ran longer and at a steeper incliine than usual and felt great. Seemed effortless. Had a nice breakfast out with DH after.

Now to the dentist!

cheers--Sharon

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Kim congrats on the 3 day walk. I''m not a runner so the walk is totally something I would consider doing. I hope your friend is okay.

I did my Total Body Training class during lunch today...he really worked us hard. We set up our own stations with the step bar, a mat, and some handweights. We started off with just simple stepping, but then had some side to side lunge jumps, followed by planks and crunches, then squats, lunges, and more planks and crunches, and then some bench with the hand weights and tricep dips. I''m not sure if I''ll be able to make the Wed. afternoon class so I guess its good I pushed myself today. I''ll only be walking on the treadmill or doing the elliptical the rest of the week.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone....We''re back home!

Lorelei: So very sorry to hear you are injured. I believe in chiropractors, big time. And as Mara mentioned, make sure you''re working on your core.

Anyway, we are back and we had a really good time in Raleigh. The weather was picture perfect Thursday - Saturday and then it rained and was colder yesterday, but Charlie actually likes cloudy rainy days, so he was happy. When we arrrived, they had us at a hotel in the center of downtown and it''s not the best part of the city, so we weren''t too enthused initially. But then our realtor met us and took us on a two hour tour of all the fantastic communities inside the beltline. There''s this inside or outside the beltline thing. Inside the beltline is stunning, with the old Raleigh neighborhoods, with beautiful stately homes on winding rolling hills and since fall is in full swing up there right now, all the maginificent oak trees are showing fantastic fall colors. Outside the beltline is nice, but the neighborhoods are newer, and it''s more of a suburban feel. We definitely felt much more excitement inside the beltline.

So, we looked at every single condo that was available (which unfortunately, isn''t too many). There''s a rennaisance of sorts going on in the downtown area. There are new buildings, but most of them are already sold out or still under construction or they only had smaller 1 or 2 bedroom homes to begin with. So, when we finally saw the Penthouse in this brand new building with 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths and 3050 square feet with a direct view of downtown Raleigh and miles of glass, we knew it was the one. We''ve put in an offer and are now waiting to see if our terms are accepted by the developer. We hope they are as we do not have a backup unit. I guess if this doesn''t go through, we''ll just have to rent up there until we can find something we like.

Becky, if you''re reading this. Raleigh was just wonderful. We''re actually pretty excited now about the move. The condo we''re hoping to buy is just a couple of blocks and a simple walk from a street called Glenwood Aveunue and it''s ''the'' avenue with shops restaurants, bars ( a good Sushi place too!) gyms, art galleries and it was just urban and cool. Even on Thursday night at 10:00 PM, it was crowded. And of course, right at the end is the requisite Starbucks, which was just icing on the cake for us.

Now, all we have to do is sell our condo, get the offer on the new condo accepted in Raleigh, and get packed and moved before January 1, 2007. I had to finally give a start date and I agreed to start no later than January 2, 2007. So, either we''ll be in our new home by then, or we''ll be renting something up there until this place sells, but we will be up there.

I''m afraid we did absolutely no exercising while away. By the time we''d get back to our hotel their fitness center was closed and we started very early each morning with the realtor. And we ate everything we wanted, including pizza at a fantastic pizzaria (within walking distance of our [hopefully] new home). I''m afraid to even get on the scale tomorrow morning, but I''ll be at the gym tomorrow for sure. I may start the day with a run and then the gym in the afternoon. Since I no longer need to be job hunting, I''ve decided to enjoy the time off as much as possible before starting my new job.

At least I know where we''re really headed and we are both unified in our excitement about the future. Of course we have much to go through to get there, but somehow, I believe it will all be worth it in the end.

Anyway, I can''t thank you all enough for the support and good wishes you''ve shared with me over the last month and a half since I was laid off.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope the offer on the Penthouse is accepted by the developer Rod. It sounds amazing. I''ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. Glad you had a nice trip, welcome back!!! Lisa
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
rod i have been wondering how the trip went!! the penthouse sounds amazing...and right up your alley! keep us posted and welcome home. don''t let the scale freak you out, i gained 2 lbs from last week''s NYC binge but i''m not worried cuz it''s all coming off!!!!
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the kind word, ladies. It was such a great experience, I am so glad I did it.

Rod: It sounds like the penthouse is awesome, fingers crossed that the builder accepts your offer. I hope you are feeling at peace with your decision.

I lost the 3 of the 5 lbs. I gained a few weeks back and then gained 4 last weekend. I think I''m retaining a lot of fluids and salt from the walk. It will go away soon. When I put on socks they leave their pattern in my skin, so I''m pretty bloated all over.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei: So sorry your back is causing you so much pain. Do whatever you need to do to feel better!

Kimberly: Wow, congrats on finishing the 3-Day! That''s an amazing accomplishment.

Rod: Fingers crossed for the condo deal going through. Glad to hear you and Charlie are much more positive about the move.

Mara: I wish I were more diligent in planning out meals and menus ~ but we usually eat fairly healthy, regardless. However, sometimes that frozen pizza beckons when we get home late or tired ....

No workout for me tonight as I have a going away dinner for one of my friends that is moving soon. So, I''m taking my weekday ''off day'' early this week -- Hopefully I can do well this week and workout straight Tues-Fri (and maybe Saturday).

Happy Monday, all!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
I cut my big finger cutting tomatoes for our healthy dinner (LOL) I am such a spazz. So I am pecking this message
while my big finger looks like something out of the Flintstones.
Mostly wanted to congratulate KIMBERLY!!
That is something to be proud of on so many levels! Congrats!

Rod! That''s absolutely fantastic! Gosh, I hope it works out! The penthouse sounds like it''s perfect, and on the perfect street.
Hope things continue to go as well.

grading papers today, no workout, running tomorrow and gyming on Wednesday.

Going to be a busy week, though, as we are having an engagement party for friends. We are looking forward to showing off our house, so we''re straightening, shopping etc. All fun, though.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. We are feeling more excited and relaxed over having made the decision to go. We''re particularly excited (cautiously so) over the new digs. As you guys know, we love our home here in Tampa. The new condo in Raleigh is completely different and in many ways as exciting if not more so. The ceilings are higher. The rooms are larger and more open, so the view is more expansive. We''re trading a water view for a city view, but the city all lit up at night is really pretty.

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww tybee sorry to hear about your finger!! take care of that.

i went to kbox tonite for the first time in a week and a half...since i've been doing the gym instead since it burns more calories in less time. interestingly enough, this is the first time i did the earlier class with my HRM on and i was soo disappointed to see that i only burned 277 calories! but the class was short today, only 30 minutes. so when i came home i did some home exercises and burned another 70 calories. so that makes my ~350 goal for the day. the interesting thing is that i was definitely working out hard in class...and i thought i would have seen more burn than 277. but that's the beauty of the HRM...i would never have known that if i didnt have one. i'd still be thinking i was burning 350 without the extra home stuff.

i was going to go to class again tomorrow, but i am going to do a home workout instead because when i did it at home on saturday, i burned 450 calories in 45 minutes. so much better than the 277 for 30 i did today...and i can be at home watching buffy...hehe. so i'm going to do that instead tomorrow. then wed is gym day.

dinner tonite was just me because greg is out with some out of town friends this evening...and i could not make up my mind on what to eat!! so finally i just made a big salad with romaine, some shredded parmesan, a few multigrain croutons, and a mixture of a yummy low-fat caesar and a low-fat/low-cal balsamic and it was awesome. the mix of the dressings was PERFECT....and only 80 cals for the dressing. then i also made some alexa garlic, olive oil and rosemary fries in the oven. nothing like a hodgepodge single girl meal from time to time...hehe.

hope everyone had a great night. hey where is everyone?!?! heather, travelingal
11.gif
, jcrow, cailet...others!??!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the good wishes guys. My back feels much better this morning, I rested as much as I could yesterday and took my meds, thank God it is less painful. The back muscles go into a spasm which varies in intensity and pain, I caught it in time to stop it from getting really bad - but it wasn't fun. I am getting frustrated as I want to get some workouts in, but I will see maybe tomorrow if I just go easy on the treadmill. I need to get that core book....

Rod - I am so happy the trip went well, the condo sounds terrific and just what you and Charlie would like, I am keeping everything crossed that the developer accepts your offer, I don't see why not!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
It doesn't sound as if it could be better with that and the amenities etc!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Rod! I''m so glad that you had a great time -- I felt that you''d warm up to the area once you and charlie saw all it has to offer -- and that penthouse sounds incredible!!! you can have so many visitors with FOUR bedrooms.

Tybee: i sliced my thumb last night too
14.gif
knives can be hazardous...

lorelei: glad to hear that your back is feeling better. definately look into those core strengthening exercises -- i feel much stronger since starting pilates and have heard great things from people with back pain finding relief.

I went to the gym last night and had a great workout. 40 minutes on the elliptical. then DH and I had turkey tacos with fresh salsa and a bit of guacamole (the scene of the finger injury). very easy and very tasty

tonight we scored some passes to a screening of Fast Food Nation. I have no idea what to expect. it''s a fictionalization of the 2001 novel. I''m wondering why they opted for fiction over documentary, but i guess i''ll have to reserve my judgement until after the movie. i don''t eat fast food, but i''m sure i''ll be properly disgusted anyway.

have a healthy day!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
So I got into the gym again this morning and ran another 2 miles. A little bit easier this time. I forgot how GREAT the running is for my energy. I am so much more awake than normal and don''t even miss my cup of coffee! I''m hope hope hope I can stay on this more healthy kick through the holidays!

Kim: CONGRATS!!! That is so awesome. I''ve done the breast cancer walk in NY for the past few years and its very rewarding!

Tybee and LuLu: My fiance has banished me from using the "big kid" knives in the kitchen because I ALWAYS cut myself.

Mara: What type of HRM do you have? And where did you get it from? I''d love to figure out how many calories I''m actually burning. I don''t really trust the counter on the machine. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
scarlet, i have a polar F6 in the pink model for the ladies. LOVE IT. i''m obsessed by it now actually. hahaha. it''s just fun to see what your body is doing, when your HR spikes, what the average was for your workout, how you are feeling that day, and what you burn of course. i mean who knew that i was only burning 280ish calories for a 30 min kbox session. or that i could do a 45 minute bootcamp/lizziec/kickbox routine at home watching TV and burn 450 calories instead? anyway, it''s fun...hehee.

the other thing i wanted to say....because i keep noticing this at the gym. for you lady runners, if you ever feel so inclined at the gym, try jacking the treadmill up to a high incline of say 10 or so and a pace of 3.7ish and do that for the same period of time you run. i have noticed that at the gym if i get on next to someone who just started running or similar (female), that i end up surpassing her in terms of calorie burn depending on how long we are on the treadmills. the other day there was a gal doing a jog/run at long intervals (aka 10 minutes of running 2 minutes walking) and she had been on the treadmill for about 6 minutes sooner than me. well i surpassed her in calorie burn towards the last 10 minutes of our workouts. so basically i had a higher calorie burn doing what i was doing AND it was less rough on my joints and my internal organs. that''s part of why i am not a fan of female running, it''s just so not great for your body long-term. i have heard stories of when you are older how your body can really not be happy with you if you are a long-term runner. so anyway, just something i wanted to throw out there. i always think of running burning this MASSIVE amount of calories but i have noticed this a few times on the treadmill that high incline walking is just as effective if not more depending on the type of run the person is doing. obviously if you are doing a 6 minute mile on the treadmill you are probably burning more than incline walking but if you are doing something like a 10 minute mile then you might want to try some intervals with high incline walking, i am not out of breath, i have a more consistent steadier pace and i still get that same burn.

anyway hope everyone has a fabulous day!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone, for the kind words!

So I thought I''d take it easy yesterday, do some school work and just relax, that was not meant to be. My MIL ended up in the ER, so I spent part of the morning and afternoon there and then the rest of the day working on school. Shin splints take a week or two to heal, so I can''t walk but I''m going to break out my yoga tape and do some good stretching.

Sounds like everyone is having a great week!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
mara: that''s an interesting observation, but i guess it''s all about intensity and sticking to what you like to do. for me, i just couldn''t walk fpr a workout. i''m too impatient. but i like running, so i stay interested. perhaps, i''ll finish off my runs with a higher incline walk at the end to make the best of both worlds.

i do think your HRM is a great little device to optimize a workout -- i''m contemplating getting one.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
mara: i noticed the same thing about the incline treadmill & calories too. saturday FI and i went to the gym. normally we go our separate ways, but instead we decided to workout together on the treadmill. he ran for 30 minutes and a pretty fast pace and i walked mostly on an incline of 10 or 12 or 15. i looked over at his machine and the calories per hour at his pace were much lower than the 1028 calories/hour that i would be able to burn walking at 4.2 speed. CRAZY! i would have NEVER thought!

anyway, today i went to the gym a little earlier than usual. just as i was about done with my 30 minutes, a friend of mine showed up to walk on the treadmill too. we got to talking a bit and i ended up walking for close to 50 minutes, going 3 miles and burning 500 calories. WHOO HOO! perfect for my wedding dress wearin'' day in 4 days!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
jcrow! i can''t believe that wedding is only four days away -- Best luck.

Have you stuck to your everyday exercise routine?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2006 12:21:44 PM
Author: lovelylulu
jcrow! i can''t believe that wedding is only four days away -- Best luck.

Have you stuck to your everyday exercise routine?
close. i missed monday. for some reason i didn''t hear the alarm go off. really wierd. that never happens. oh, and we didn''t go friday. so we went saturday instead.
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh totally lulu about it being what you like to do...see i am SO not a runner (even though i ran sprints for the track team in high school), and so i like the idea that high incline walking gets me that same burn and yet is easier on my body, and i can still sing to my ipod (under my breath of course!!)...i always thought gosh running burns SO many calories so quickly but i guess that''s not really the case, depending on what else you are doing. so it was kind of an ''epiphany'' for me if you will!

go jcrow! i was wondering how you were doing on workouts. you are going to look so awesome in thata dress on saturday! woohoo!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
jcrow -- that''s excellent that you are getting to the gym so much. wedding planning for me was fairly easy until that last month -- the devil''s in the details -- and i found it really hard to find the time to exercise right before the wedding. i think i took off most of that month.

it''s also got to be a great stress reliever
emstar.gif

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
So far, no workouts this week. I told you guys I''m a total procrastinator when it comes to working out... But, I''ve been eating really healthy! Between that and the run on Friday, I''ve somehow kicked off 2 lbs. - although some of that might be water weight. If I don''t work out in the mornings, it just really doesn''t happen. So, tomorrow I''m gonna try to get off my keester and get movin''. The cold, dreary winter weather isn''t helping me out at all though.

Rod - So great to hear about your Raleigh trip! Although several of the LIW are mad at me right now, I''ve decided to go with my gut and go with my bf to check out Raleigh and just see if it''s even a place we''d like to live. We''re flying out after work on Wed., Nov. 29 and will be there through Sun., Dec. 3. We''ll both work during the day Th and Fri, then we''ll have evenings and the weekend to explore. From what people have said and the research we''ve done, we''re either looking at living Inside Belt Loop or in Cary. Did you check out Cary at all? If so, what did you think? It''s kind of a bummer that there''s not many places inside the belt loop for sale. Most likely we''ll be looking for a 3 bedroom condo or townhouse when we go. Not certain yet, but looks like we''ll be moving in together. And, of course, before we can move, we''ll have to sell his townhouse here and then buy one down there. So, it''s looking like Feb. 1 for us if we do actually decide to make the move. Everything is still really up in the air right now, but the next few weeks/months should help settle everything out. I figure, Raleigh is kinda the south and people are skinnier down there, so I better get my butt in gear so I''m not some big fatso traipsing down the road... lol Well, would love to hear if you saw Cary and what you thought of it...

Cailet

Shiny_Rock
woo! work has been soooo busy lately! And it is our slow season - I just don''t know what is going on.

Yesterday had class, then came home and did a dance/cardio workout. This one was Indian dance - fun at first but got kind of boring towards the end. I only managed to stick with it for 45 minutes (although my plan was only for 30 minutes so still good!) unlike the full 60 that I did with the hip hop/pop dance one. I''ll have to try that one again cause it worked out so well for me.

Congrats Kimberly!

Yay! and Good Luck! to Rod

Mara- good thoughts on the walking/incline vs running. I ALWAYS thought that those runners were burning SOOO many more calories. good to know the incline will let me protect my poor little knees and still get a great burn!

Oh and did you say BUFFY? LOL I used to watch that all the time.

Jcrow - wow! you are down to the wire! I peeked at your bridal pics on the other thread a while back and if they are any indication I''m betting you are going to look absolutely GORGEOUS on your day!!

ahhhhhh - that''s all I could remember off the top of my head and I am too lazy to scroll through the whole thread again - so if I missed ya sorry!!

25.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I did the bike for 30 minutes during lunch b/c the treadmills and ellipticals were all taken...it was kind of nice to not sweat though.

Jcrow: I can''t wait to see your wedding pics...they are going to be gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results