shape
carat
color
clarity

weekend photos (NC mountain resort)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 6:22:36 PM
Author: Regular Guy
I think you mentioned early on not including some pics because of including people without their permission, but...do you have any of inside, like the lobby? I hear they have a massive fireplace, and some nice arts & crafts furniture. Got turned onto arts & crafts when we went furniture shopping a dozen years ago.
Ira, we''ve been collecting since we set up house together (1984). It is the Arts & Crafts Conference and Show that brings us to the Inn every year. Our houses are furnished ad nauseum down to the period linens. It is the jewelry from the period that has my attention.
2.gif

The whole Inn used to be furnished with Roycroft furniture (though there is some scuttlebutt about them not fullfilling the contract and it was finished by White Furn co.). Nearly all of that was thrown out in the 60''s. The HUGE hammered copper and mica light fixtures remain in the "Great Hall". In the late 80''s, quite a bit of orginial A&C furniture was bought (when prices were lower) for the Great Hall & surrounding areas. Some of it remains in the Hall; but, they have gunked it up with wanna be stuff. Though, the feel does remain the same. Besides the massive stone fireplace (with orginal andirons), another cool part is the stone elevator. It''s really odd.

Funny, you still can find the old GPI furniture here and there.

Definitely worth a trip to the Grove Park Inn. Asheville has lots of great restaurants also. Biltmore is a sight to see. They have a vineyard too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 9:56:06 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Thanks, DS, nice fireplace.

Too bad about the girl, though, they have procedures for that...
26.gif
9.gif

fire, when is the A&C show held? I LOVE that style.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad I found this. I live in NC, right here on the coast and I had not heard of this Inn. I try to get to the mountains once a year and this is an excellent choice for next time.

I so know what you mean, I couldn''t get through my day here without my "sweet Tea"

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2007 10:19:32 AM
Author: autumngems
I am so glad I found this. I live in NC, right here on the coast and I had not heard of this Inn. I try to get to the mountains once a year and this is an excellent choice for next time.

I so know what you mean, I couldn''t get through my day here without my ''sweet Tea''
Glad to know you''re in NC! I think this would make a great destination as there is a lot to do in the Asheville area. Biltmore is amazing if you have never been there.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 4:40:28 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 1/16/2007 9:13:26 AM
Author: Ellen
9.gif

fire, when is the A&C show held? I LOVE that style.
Here''s the info on the A&C conference:

http://www.webteek.com/arts-craftsconference/
Yes, and it always the third weekend in February. The Inn sells out rather quickly. If you are interested in 2008, make your reservations now.

Also, though private - the Grovewood Cafe is on the GPI property. It''s good & not as expensive as the GPI restaurants. I like the GPI restaurants - but REALLY pricey.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2007 4:48:23 PM
Author: fire&ice
Yes, and it always the third weekend in February. The Inn sells out rather quickly. If you are interested in 2008, make your reservations now.

Also, though private - the Grovewood Cafe is on the GPI property. It''s good & not as expensive as the GPI restaurants. I like the GPI restaurants - but REALLY pricey.
I am glad to hear an opinion on the cafe. I obviously noted the prices in the GPI restaurants.
2.gif
We saw the cafe as we drove out of the parking garage and I commented that it might be worth trying if the prices were lower.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Awesome pics!! We used to vacation at the outer banks in NC and we would drive through the georgeous mountiains there I always wanted to go, your pics cave me a mini vacation
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results